HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
my favorite supermarket: Magruder's
Posted by: local ()
Date: September 13, 2011 05:14AM

I have lived in the Vienna, McLean, Great Falls area nearly all of my life and always our family has trekked to Marauder's Supermarket. There is something SO authentic and real about Magruder's, not to mention the always low prices. For years I used to buy their green pickled tomatoes there. No where else in the area could they be found! I love the look of the place, vegetables stacked up outside like in Europe on real wood bins or like you used to see vendors on the streets of Washington DC in the 60's.? What other local supermarket can even compare?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my favorite supermarket: Magruder's
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 13, 2011 06:03AM

local Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> What other local supermarket can even compare?

Magruders is a slum.

Harris Teeter FTW

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: September 13, 2011 06:12AM

Magruders would be great in a Polish ghetto

Posted by: Danny Wegman ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:19AM

Wegman's...maybe you've heard of us...

Posted by: yuch ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:43AM

Magruders,,,a 10 + in the third world

Posted by: Chef Sheph ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:06AM

Magruders? Are you kidding me? try Whole Foods or Wegmans, they both put their vegetables in wooden bins if that is what you think makes for a great store.

Posted by: Funny ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:32AM

Funny how people love to go to places like whole foods and wegmans and pay double what they would at places like magruders for the same thing. People really love taking it up the ass.

Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:37AM

Funny Wrote:
> Funny how people love to go to places like whole
> foods and wegmans and pay double what they would
> at places like magruders for the same thing.
> People really love taking it up the ass.

If you could find that same thing in Magruders.
A lot of times, you cant.

Not to mention you can fit 5 magruders in one wegmans..

Posted by: say ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:38AM

Wegman's actually beats most of 'em on price IF you leave the gourmet shit alone.

You're right about Whole Paycheck though.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:40AM

I remember back in the 1970s the Magruder's in Vienna was a pretty good store; back then they even had the sawdust in the butcher aisle. I haven't been into that Magruder's in at least 20 years now, probably closer to 30, so I have no idea how it is these days. The one on Kenmore Avenue in Alexandria (near Seminary and I-395) is quite ghetto, although the Harris Teeter that took over its prior location at Foxchase is a decent store.

I used to like the Magruder's liquor store in DC, however. I haven't been there in a few years simply because it's an inconvenient location and because I cut back on liquor consumption.

I don't particularly like Giant (especially because the one nearest to my house lacks cart-return corrals), but I go there because the gas points pile up quickly and that's too significant to ignore. I got 40¢ a gallon off yesterday, which adds up when two of the cars require premium gas. The nearest Wegmans is the one down in Woodbridge and it's too far to bother unless I have another reason for being down there.

Posted by: NOVA ()
Date: September 13, 2011 11:00AM

1995hoo Wrote:
> The Harris Teeter that took
> over its prior location at Foxchase is a decent
> store.

A "decent store"? This is their #1 store. Look it up...

> The nearest Wegmans is the
> one down in Woodbridge and it's too far to bother
> unless I have another reason for being down there.

I'm not sure if this is closer for you but, Wegman's is opening at Beulah and Telegraph.

Posted by: TheEggMan ()
Date: September 13, 2011 11:06AM

say Wrote:
> Wegman's actually beats most of 'em on price IF
> you leave the gourmet shit alone.
>
> You're right about Whole Paycheck though.

True about Wegmans. It's just the temptation that gets me.
I rarely go to Whole Paycheck and then only for specialty
items. I bought frog legs for Bastille Day party and duck
eggs last week for omelets for $1.00 each. Yum! They had
ostrich eggs for $30.00 each. No thanks.

Posted by: Garglemynuts ()
Date: September 13, 2011 11:34AM

We hit the Magruders in Vienna every now and then, but honestly not sure how it stays in business. It looks pretty much the same as it did in 1980 and prices seem about the sameas Giant/Wegmans (for the non-gourmet junk).

Posted by: wong ()
Date: September 13, 2011 12:36PM

We used to go to Magruder's in Vienna a lot, the produce specials are cheap. However we brought home a couple of 3" long COCKROACHES in a grocery sack once and that was the end of that.

I think I'll spend the extra $$ driving to the Wegman's to make sure our house stays roach free, thanks.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: September 13, 2011 02:39PM

All the Magruders I ever went into were always kind of dirty and smelled.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: September 13, 2011 06:04PM

Whole Foods has a deal on livingsocial. Pay $10 for $20 of stuff. Sixteen hours left. Hurry, hurry, hurry!

http://livingsocial.com/deals/123805-20-to-spend-on-groceries

Posted by: Huge Hefner ()
Date: September 13, 2011 06:26PM

Huge has the arthuritis bad. Huge likes small stores for walking about. prices okay selection okay

todays yute oriented society don't give shit about old people. hope yutes don't end up getting to be old. self centered fuckers

Posted by: Gross and yuck ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:17PM

When I was broke I had to shop at places like Magruder's. I still love a bargain but not at the grocery store.

I love the feel of Wegman's. I hate Giant. Giant gags me.

Posted by: Yikes! ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:18PM

Giant the grocery store. My bad. LOL!

Posted by: logicaldog ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:50PM

You people are such middle class snobs, Magruders is GREAT! You idiots want to waste your money in Wegmans (the food looks good and tastes terrible) and whole foods which is grossly overpriced for the quality of the product, love Magruders, wish it was closer.

Posted by: gone ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:04PM

Magruder's is closing stores, not sure how many left. The store on Rt 29 inside the beltway is now an international market of some sort.

Posted by: look for the union label ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:19PM

Shoppers Food in Burke is great. Clean place and in the self serve checkouts work. Unlike the Safeway on Burke Centre Pkwy where most of the self checks are broken and the store is dirty. On Friday nights during peak hours they sometimes have just two lines open with cashiers. I see people throw their items down and walk out because it takes so long. It looks like no one gives a shit.

I cant say enough good things about Shoppers or enough bad things about Safeway.

Posted by: tired ()
Date: September 14, 2011 04:24PM

Funny it's exactly the same way with the Safeway in Pan Am plaza. I hit Shopper's on Pickett Road over Safeway any day. They know how to get the lines moving and I never wait like at Safeway.

Posted by: donut lover ()
Date: September 14, 2011 06:51PM

Magruders used to be a really great market, with great produce, great variety and good prices. Things began to go downhill in terms of quality of produce and cleanliness around the same time other stores began to emerge. I have not been to the Vienna branch in a long time but the parking lot is always crowded.

Wegmans produce is fair. Their dry goods prices are good. Their prepared foods have gone up in price and the quality is not good. Their fish is really good. Their health food section has good prices and a decent selection.

I prefer the produce at Whole Foods. Not because I am a snob; if you shop in season, the produce is often on sale and a good price.

People are loyal to their stores and everybody prefers a certain kind of store. Magruders has its fans and I dont fault them for that.

Posted by: i r srs ()
Date: September 14, 2011 07:56PM

what is this whole paycheck you speak of

Posted by: Garglemynuts ()
Date: September 15, 2011 08:52AM

If you want old farts touching every tomato, apple and banana before you buy it, plus huge door dings and/or hit and run damage from grandma, then the vienna magruders parking lot is your spot!

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:02AM

Whole foods is overpriced food that tastes like crap. Magruder's is a dirty shithole.

Safeway is where it's at.

Posted by: bomble ()
Date: September 15, 2011 10:48AM

Funny Wrote:

Really? Magruders has worse prices than 7/11. (At least the NOVA location.) The one in NW is far but has a good beer selection.

I don't know how Magruders still allows the NOVA location to stay open.

Posted by: MacGuyver ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:47PM

I recently contacted Macgruder's corporate office to complain about the poo/sewage/rotting flesh/moth ball smell in the Vienna store that nearly knocked me over upon entering.

I heard back from Gary Bortnick, the VP, who claimed that smell was from "trash receptacles located near the entrance and that new dumpsters were being ordered as well as a directive for the trash company to apply a spray cleaner/deodorizer to the bins weekly."

Ugh. Gross. The store manger with whom I spoke/complained to did 'fess up that the smell was from the dumpsters and that she put moth balls inside to dissipate the smell. It was revolting, so much so that I have not and will not return to that store.

I've said it before, but a quick peek inside the *public/employee bathroom* at that store would make anyone run away screaming. I've used nicer gas station bathrooms. I'd wet my pants/soil myself before I'd use the bathroom at Macgruder's.

Posted by: hero ()
Date: September 15, 2011 12:59PM

GTFO you troll!

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: September 15, 2011 02:37PM

NOVA Wrote:
> 1995hoo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Harris Teeter that took
> > over its prior location at Foxchase is a decent
> > store.
>
> A "decent store"? This is their #1 store. Look it
> up...
>
> > The nearest Wegmans is the
> > one down in Woodbridge and it's too far to
> bother
> > unless I have another reason for being down
> there.
>
> I'm not sure if this is closer for you but,
> Wegman's is opening at Beulah and Telegraph.

Yeah, I've known for several years that Wegmans is coming. I live in Kingstowne and it will be a lot more convenient than going down to Woodbridge or out to Fair Lakes. The latest word is that it won't open until 2013, but in a way that's not such a bad thing because it will allow them to finish construction on Mulligan Road, the new connector between US-1 and Telegraph that's now being built just to the east of Hilltop Golf Club.

Posted by: Bourgeois Asshole ()
Date: September 15, 2011 05:30PM

>You people are such middle class snobs, Magruders is GREAT!

You're right, I'm a middle class snob who hates cockroaches. I don't want them in my home, just to save a few pennies on the dollar!

I'm sure they possibly or probably have roaches and mice at Wegman's, too. The difference would be they aren't at the checkstand crawling into bags, or lurking in the produce section eatin' taters like the cute lil mouses of Magruder's.

Posted by: Remember the Cat man of Vienna ()
Date: September 30, 2011 07:22AM

MacGuyver say,"I recently contacted Macgruder's corporate office to complain about the poo/sewage/rotting flesh/moth ball smell in the Vienna store that nearly knocked me over upon entering."

Ventured into Magruder's last night for first time in about a month. That smell that MacGuyver mentioned hit me upon entering. That smell has not always been there or at least not as strong. It had a whiff of dead animal to it. Now as a kid I use to go there all the time with the Moms so a bit of nostalgia plus they use to have some cute girls as cashiers but that was many moons ago. Anyways hate to bring up but them big old wooden things out front were they put lots o' fruit. I got sneaking suspicion they got a dead rat problem underneath them things,

Once went into a Shoppers in Manassas Park and they had same smell only far stronger ole'

Posted by: A.J. ()
Date: July 01, 2014 12:45PM

I used to go there when I was little in the 80s and early 90s, and there was always a bit of a smell, but I thought it was mainly from over-ripe produce.

Posted by: Wegmans and Whole Foods Snobs ()
Date: July 01, 2014 12:49PM

Is Magruders still open? The few I knew were left have all disappeared.

Posted by: Mrs. Green's is coming ()
Date: July 01, 2014 02:15PM

Wegmans and Whole Foods Snobs Wrote:
> Is Magruders still open? The few I knew were left
> have all disappeared.

New Grocery Store Coming to Vienna, Replacing Former Magruder's

Mrs. Green's carries organic and all-natural foods; the Vienna location will be the second Northern Virginia location for the chain.
http://vienna.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/new-grocery-store-coming-to-vienna-replacing-former-magruders-spot

It appears the long wait is over, for a new grocery store to take over the old Magruder's spot in Vienna.

Mrs. Green's, an organic, all-natural grocery store, is coming to the former Magruder's location at 180 Maple Ave. West, at Vienna Shopping Center.

"It's wonderful news for Vienna," said Vienna Vice Mayor Carey Sienicki. The store plans to make renovations at the location and officials will meet March 20 with the Town's Board of Architectural Review.

The chain grocery store counts one other Northern Virginia location, at Fair Lakes in Fairfax, where it celebrated a grand opening preview party Jan. 23.

Mrs. Green's works with a variety of local farmers, bakers and other vendors from around the area, such as Moorenko’s Ice Cream, Banana Love Muffins, Blind Dog Cookies, and Mom Made Foods.

"We are small enough to partner with local vendors who may not be able to survive in a larger chain store," Shige Hatanaka, senior vice president for Operations at Mrs. Green's parent company, Natural Markets Food Group, based in Irvington, NY., told Patch at the time of the Fairfax store opening.

At the Fairfax store, Mrs. Green's has several unique offerings, including a masseuse who is on-site to provide 10-minute massages for $10. Also, there are two registered dieticians available for free consultations and nutritional advice.

In addition, there is a cooking school, a natural living department, organic baby clothes and food, yoga clothes, and more.

Customers enjoy an in-store coffee bar, made from Ceremony Coffee Roasters in Maryland, as well as a smoothie and juice bar.

Mrs. Green's also prides itself as being a strong supporter of and contributor to the community in which they are located.

The company, which counts about 20 stores in the Northeast and Canada, was in the news last month, involved in a recent dust-up with former employees at one of it's New York stores, accused of anti-union activities.

Vienna's other grocery store options include Whole Foods Market, The Fresh Market, Giant and Maple Avenue Market.

If you can't wait to get a "preview" of what the Vienna store will be like, you can visit the Mrs. Green's in Fairfax at 12995 Fairlakes Shopping Center.
Attachments:
82d916831b57ce99e7f6db18e011cc4f.png
6c81e7052850646dc07cb0b2a3883794.png

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 01, 2014 06:30PM

Too bad. Mrs. Green's (at least the one at Fair Lakes) is a cross between Whole Foods and your traditional health food store, with the bad attributes of both (high prices, pretention, ratty produce) and the good attributes of neither.

OK, maybe I'm just being pessimistic, based on a sample size of one...

Posted by: Vienna resident ()
Date: July 01, 2014 08:57PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> Too bad. Mrs. Green's (at least the one at Fair
> Lakes) is a cross between Whole Foods and your
> traditional health food store, with the bad
> attributes of both (high prices, pretention, ratty
> produce) and the good attributes of neither.
>
> OK, maybe I'm just being pessimistic, based on a
> sample size of one...

Do they sell mattresses?

Posted by: Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah ()
Date: July 01, 2014 09:03PM

Funny Wrote:

Funny people who love to eat filthy sick antibiotic laden carcasses look down on those who can afford and willing to pay for better foods.

You should dip your tongue in acid since you have no use for it.

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 01, 2014 09:35PM

Mention "Whole Foods", "Wegmans" or "Harris Teeter" and the Yuppies come out to play.

Posted by: Change in Plans ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:57PM

Looks like the Mrs. Green's is now a no-go for the Magruder's space in Vienna, and the store in Fair Lakes is closing too. Opening both of those up a stone's throw from Whole Foods was a bad idea.

http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxcity/mrs-greens-natural-market-fairfax-close#.VBofcxaBUQ0

Article says:

Mrs. Green’s will be closing its store in Fairfax on Sept. 13, according to a company employee; the store opened in January.

It also appears as though Vienna’s long wait to replace Magruders will continue. The hoped-for Mrs. Green’s Natural Market will not be opening a store in the location, at 180 Maple Ave. W, as was planned, according to a company employee. Magruders closed in early 2013.

Posted by: crawl of cthulhurt ()
Date: September 17, 2014 08:10PM

trader joe's is german owned and has a lot of overseas items
which i buy to stay away from american gmo corn syrup and soy which is in everything
like they have potatoes with garlic from france that uses sunflower oil
instead of the obligatory gmo soy or canola in the american products

Posted by: Way Back Man ()
Date: September 17, 2014 08:46PM

Magurders was the store for veggies and meats and others..Back in the 70's to mid 80's. Many others have opened since then that blew em away. Wegmans are a great place for good fish and veggies. I like Food Lion for most things, good and cheap and now and then visit the others. I shopped at the Picket Giant for 36 years till it closed about 2008. Giant has gone down hill in many ways but still does have good seafood at the ones with seafood..Shoppers has good stuff loads of veggies as do the asian markets. But the seafood at Shoppers has been bad several times to many for me. Theres just so many choices today in NOVA and thats great for me.

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: September 17, 2014 09:13PM

Magruders always looked grungy inside. Sort of an old, a little unclean look to it. Both the one in Alexandria and the one that used to be in Manassas were that way.

Posted by: Missy Prissy ()
Date: September 17, 2014 11:40PM

You should tour a slaughterhouse some day.

Posted by: DanielLee5 ()
Date: February 08, 2022 03:23AM

Really nice supermarket, I have almost forgotten about Magruder's thanks for reminding. I am a permanent client of Sam's Club and sams club customer service , I love the assortment and they have large service area, rather comfortable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2022 04:48AM by DanielLee5.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.