HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ways to Stay at Oakton HS and Chantilly HS
Posted by: Steve K ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:16AM

Despite what you want, these district changes will happen. If you want to buy an apartment fine, although I think for people to be thinking that is ridiculous. All the schools are Fairfax County ones, and their will be transportation options when the time comes.
No public school is worth paying thousands a year to attend when you go to another fine public school; which their is not a bad public school in the county compared to most of the country. So get over yourselves its high school; your kids will get the same experience at high school no matter where they go. Your kids will be fine, when it goes down I guarentee it, I'd be more worried about your property values.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ombudsman ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:44AM

Let me get this straight...are all of the disgruntled parents considering renting a single residence in the district of their choice, hoping that FCPS does not catch on to 30+ students with the same address? I realize that the FCPS administration may not be the most efficient group, but I have to believe that there are some rudimentary administrative computer systems in place to catch this type of behavior.

Pupil placement MAY work, but just about the only guarantee is employment by the school system and even then I don't think that you can simply go anywhere. For example, Robinson's principal lives in Chantilly, but his sons go to Robinson...I doubt that he could have put them, for example, at Westfield or Oakton. Not sure how this works for bus drivers, however.

Other pupil placement options are not as simple and you need to be careful. We knew parents from the Crosspointe area (prior to South County being built) who used the Spanish immersion program at Laurel Ridge ES to stay at Robinson through middle school and then wanted to use IB to stay at Robinson. Unfortunately for them, Hayfield is also an IB school. They tried to use location of their childcare provider, but no one bought the idea of a 14 or 15 year old needing child care. There are a number of kids in my daughter's class at Robinson who should be at either Woodson or Fairfax, but remain only because they are full IB. You can drop down to less than full IB as a senior without being asked to leave, but we know of at least two students who spent 9th and 10th grade as "full IB" who were asked to leave Robinson prior to their junior year when they failed to schedule a full IB course load.

Posted by: AvoidSL ()
Date: January 06, 2008 12:02PM

Ombudsman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let me get this straight...are all of the
> disgruntled parents considering renting a single
> residence in the district of their choice, hoping
> that FCPS does not catch on to 30+ students with
> the same address?

What are you talking about? If a person rents a apartment and sub lease it out, he/she will be the only one on the lease and the address. If it's lucky with the sublease, he/she can break even and even make money. The only thing is transportation, which can be helped by carpooling.

Posted by: Angry Viking ()
Date: January 06, 2008 12:11PM

I am liking this move/rent option more and more. It will hedge the real estate losses expected in Fox Mill and Floris areas and get the job done. Comments about how FCPS will find out about us folks working around the redistrict only serve to help us better our planning. Moving is the only option if pupil placement fails. But my kids are not going to SLHS and whatever the SB throws at us we will work around it. They thought our neighborhood was poor enough to cooperate and accept the disruption, but rich enough to fill up the IB classes that the PTA kids take. WRONGO!!! We may not be rich but we have all worked our tails off to live where we live. A house is just bricks and mortar, I can sell it and move or rent elsewhere and rent my house out for a couple of years. No problem. If I hadn't sidestepped around these types of roadblocks throughtout my life I would be on welfare. I've gotten good at it.

Posted by: sos ()
Date: January 06, 2008 01:18PM

Not only that, there are many folks who may not be redistricted who hate how this whole process has unfolded, and would be willing to assist those who may be adversely affected by this situation. We have several good friends that may be affected, and if they need an address or room to help them out, we're all for it.

Posted by: navy parent ()
Date: January 06, 2008 02:55PM

Go read the arrogance of the SL parents they are saying they won't let any Fox Mill or Floris kids go for pupil placing and that they masterminded and planned this whole shebang. Like they control my kids destiny. What a bunch of crap. This whole thing makes me sick and I'm not going to stand for it. Like many of you posting here, I'll figure out a way around it. It sounds like lots of us are going to fight to stay. Good luck to you all and this thread is the best thing I've seen. Keep posting parents and share all of your solutions. We can help each other avoid this crap.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: January 06, 2008 03:03PM

navy parent Wrote:
> Go read the arrogance of the SL parents they are
> saying they won't let any Fox Mill or Floris kids
> go for pupil placing and that they masterminded
> and planned this whole shebang. Like they control
> my kids destiny. What a bunch of crap. This
> whole thing makes me sick and I'm not going to
> stand for it. Like many of you posting here, I'll
> figure out a way around it. It sounds like lots
> of us are going to fight to stay. Good luck to
> you all and this thread is the best thing I've
> seen. Keep posting parents and share all of your
> solutions. We can help each other avoid this
> crap.

Yes, again I am NOT impressed with some of the SL parents' showing arrogance that the pupil placing will not happen to those affected by the redistricting..shows how very welcoming are they? I am sick of this whole mess, too. Ridiculous. I have a locked in lease and I cannot break it and move so if pupil placing is denied for my child's educational needs, then do I need to get a lawyer or what?

Posted by: Angry Viking ()
Date: January 06, 2008 03:07PM

Just fake a lease. There's no way to check up on it and there will be so many people moving anyway that even if they checked up on every single one they would all be legitimate moves. So try the pupil placing and then show Oakton a lease -- real or not, doesn't matter. Both acheive the same ends.

Posted by: AvoidSL ()
Date: January 06, 2008 03:18PM

Baffled Wrote:
> I have a locked in lease and I cannot break it and move

have you considered subleasing your current one and get a new lease in Oakton area?

Date: January 06, 2008 03:27PM

AvoidSL Wrote:
> Baffled Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a locked in lease and I cannot break it
> and move
>
> have you considered subleasing your current one
> and get a new lease in Oakton area?

Thanks, I will get in touch with my real estate agent. Maybe she will help me find a renter to take place of my lease. Hopefully the owner will be okay with it since he is several states away. I will try the pupil placing first and if it is denied then I will go full speed to find a way and move. How convenient!...not.

Posted by: so stupid ()
Date: January 06, 2008 05:10PM

Neen Wrote:
> OurKidsGoWhereWeWant Wrote:
> -----
> > Sorry everyone, I was wrong about the deadline.
>
> > Thanks to the link from Neen, I checked the
> FCPS
> > website and it says April 15th for "curricular
> > transfers". Those transfers would be those
> > requesting AP over IB. And note that it says
> that
> > curricular transfers will be prohibited from
> > sports for one year.
> >
> > There are other types of transfers and I didn't
> > check to see if they have different deadlines.
> > But yes, not much time to get your ducks in a
> row
> > and if you miss the deadline, too bad for you,
> no
> > transfer.
> >
> > Also, Chantilly is on the list of schools that
> are
> > "full", along with Westfield and Langley. It
> says
> > they are on the List of Closed Schools. So
> Navy
> > area parents are going to have to do something
> > other than pupil-placement.
>
>
> Isn't Navy being moved out of Chantilly? Then it
> won't be overcrowded! I would go ahead and apply
> for the pupil placement if that's what you want to
> do, apply to Chantilly and see what they say. OR
> apply to Chantilly AND Oakton.

Navy is slated to go to Oakton instead of Chantilly. We will keep fighting this though. However, the irony is that Chantilly is NOT overcrowded. I encourgage you to ask the administration there. They will agree that this whole boundary issue does not do anything to help Chantilly. What will happen though that if our kids have to go to Oakton and all of the "I'm not sending my kids to South Lakes and will find a way to keep my kids at Oakton", Oakton will be VERY overcrowded. Sign up to speak against this atrocity!

Posted by: chicoff ()
Date: January 06, 2008 05:33PM

Fox Mill Estates Parent Wrote:
> Guys, they are going to start checking now becaue
> they know everyone is going to run.
>
> I am not trying to be a trouble maker with you.
> All I can tell you is that I seem to recall
> reading, and I think it was in Califronia, where
> certain very popular schools hired an inspector to
> check a pupil's residence. They didn't check
> everyone of course. I think it was random. But I
> seem to recall that is what happened.
>
> Now of course one could say I will take the chance
> anyway and if they find out then I will deal with
> latter. That is up to you.
>
> I am just trying to offer away that I think I know
> can't fail and perhaps improve one's networth in
> time. Of course moving to an apartment wouldn't
> fail either and you wouldn't have be a landlord.
>
> As I said I could be wrong about the checking.

You do like to run around like a chicken with its head cut off!

Posted by: Fox Mill Estate Parent ()
Date: January 06, 2008 05:56PM

I have another idea for resolving the dilema. If someone has a family member within a school district that they want their child to go and that family member is an empty nester then one could work for a swap of living spaces.

For example, if one's parents live in the Oakton district and you live in Floris or Fox Mill Estates then you might arrange a swap.

I could see that being a realistic option that costs no money and family helps out family.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Posted by: Fox Mill Estates Parent ()
Date: January 06, 2008 06:00PM

chicoff, this thread is supposed to be a means for concerned parents who wish to look for realistic alternatives for their child's education. The name calling only serves to remind me what it is I should be concerned about. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: OurKidsGoWhereWeWant ()
Date: January 06, 2008 06:03PM

I have already talked to a co-worker who lives in my current district and she is very understanding of the situation and we have downloaded a lease agreement for $10 off the internet. I am going to pay her a check every month and she will cash it and return the money to me. The amount is approximately the amount of cash I use in a month so I won't have to go to the ATM anymore. She is more than willing to tell any FCPS employee that the lease is indeed valid and that I and my children live at her house. She doesn't have any children in FCPS as they are all grown. Problem solved.

In the meantime, I'm contacting the school tomorrow to ask about pupil-placement and get the necessary forms and instructions for how to fill them out. I'll get that ball rolling.

I know several real estate agents and they are VERY sympathetic about the situation and will work towards finding affordable housing and facilitating any kind of purchase, rental, or sublet.

And yes, Chantilly is very unhappy about losing a chunk of very high-performing and athletic kids. They count on the navy area students as they are a very solid student population with very active families. The net effect will be to diminish Chantilly and give those high performers to Oakton. Chantilly doesn't want to lose these students and they are not overcrowded. In two years the "bubble" class will be graduated and then Chantilly will be under capacity WITHOUT sending anyone to Oakton. What sense does it make because the bubble class will absolutely be grandfathered because they are juniors now? Once they are out then Chantilly is under capacity.

Date: January 06, 2008 06:10PM

Not all public highschools in Fairfax are the same.

http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:2:2895050744653604::::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:320

I am not sending my son to that school. My son doesn't want to go. My wife doesn't want him to go.

Date: January 06, 2008 06:16PM

Fox Mill Estate Parent Wrote:
> I have another idea for resolving the dilema. If
> someone has a family member within a school
> district that they want their child to go and that
> family member is an empty nester then one could
> work for a swap of living spaces.
>
> For example, if one's parents live in the Oakton
> district and you live in Floris or Fox Mill
> Estates then you might arrange a swap.
>
> I could see that being a realistic option that
> costs no money and family helps out family.
>
> Anyway, I hope this helps.

It certainly is a good idea. What about those who do not have family members living around here? It would be nice to swap places with friends who live in the Chantilly/Oakton districts. It helps to be creative and be prepared, but still don't give up the fight.

Date: January 06, 2008 06:18PM

> Not all public highschools in Fairfax are the
> same.
>
> http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:2:
> 2895050744653604::::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:320
>
>
> I am not sending my son to that school. My son
> doesn't want to go. My wife doesn't want him to
> go.

Oh my gosh, but where is the information for 2006-2007? That is scary about the weapons!

Date: January 06, 2008 06:19PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant,

I spoke with my wife about this thread and she liked any of the ideas suggested here. This is a very helpful resource.

Thanks for reminding me that we have to actually start doing something. I suppose I should contanct Oakton tommorrow and find out about the pupil-placement. Put it in the Franklin Planner to stay focused.

Good Luck

Date: January 06, 2008 06:29PM

Baffled,

I am not playing games with the weapons and my son's wealfare.

I do feel sorry for some of the posters on the other thread who I think want change for their school and are not part of the problem. I doubt the parents of the violent students are posting for example.

I went to a school where there were fights all the time and it is like deja vu. I do not want that for my son.

[I knew in some of those other posts on the other thread that I sensed a "hostility" that I reconginzed from my youth. I am most sorry for that.]

Date: January 06, 2008 06:30PM

And Fox Mill Parent, this thread is going to be very threatening to those hoping to cow and force parents into accepting the re-districting like a herd of cattle. It is their worst fear as it is one piece of the power play that cannot be controlled. There certainly was some serious crowing over on the other thread and arrogant celebrating over the "victory".

Date: January 06, 2008 06:40PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant,

We don't have any friends that live over there but that is a good idea too. Except for a brother we have no family --I do not know what school district he would be a part of come to think of it --maybe Chantilly hmmm. I better ask him.

Date: January 06, 2008 06:53PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant,

Yes. I do not know what kind of "victory" one has in a school with the problems that one high school has. Sending more children to a school will not solve the underlying problems there.

It makes me think the idea of redistricting the disadvantaged children who feed that school to neighboring high schools is an absolute must. [Split them up equally amongst the great schools.] But that idea doesn't seem to be part of any plan --so the disadvantaged children are going to feed the school with the problems. I am baffled as to the reason why. I can't change it; though, I think it needs to be done.

Anyway, if I come up with some more ideas or find out anything new I will post it here. Look forward to learning more.

Good Luck To You

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 06, 2008 07:33PM

Steve K Wrote:
> Despite what you want, these district changes will
> happen. If you want to buy an apartment fine,
> although I think for people to be thinking that is
> ridiculous. All the schools are Fairfax County
> ones, and their will be transportation options
> when the time comes.
> No public school is worth paying thousands a year
> to attend when you go to another fine public
> school; which their is not a bad public school in
> the county compared to most of the country. So
> get over yourselves its high school; your kids
> will get the same experience at high school no
> matter where they go. Your kids will be fine,
> when it goes down I guarentee it, I'd be more
> worried about your property values.

Shouldn't that be up to the parents? Some parents have higher expectations than others. It's not up to you to decide how much a good education is worth to someone else.

Yes, our public schools are better than many inter city schools. So what? Why should any parent be satisfied with a 'good enough' education for their children? Your values aren't their values but that doesn't mean their educational values are wrong. "Fine" is in the eye of the beholder.

Date: January 06, 2008 07:41PM

Fox Mill Estate Parent Wrote:
> I have another idea for resolving the dilema. If
> someone has a family member within a school
> district that they want their child to go and that
> family member is an empty nester then one could
> work for a swap of living spaces.
>
> For example, if one's parents live in the Oakton
> district and you live in Floris or Fox Mill
> Estates then you might arrange a swap.
>
> I could see that being a realistic option that
> costs no money and family helps out family.
>
> Anyway, I hope this helps.

OR your parent or relative could simply sign a lease saying that your family is renting their basement.

Please remember to speak at the school board hearings and to the board of supervisors. South Lakes PTSA will have parents and students out in full force. Make sure you do the same! The school board needs to know what this will do to families and how very much you object to what they are doing. There are still spaces to speak on January 31`.

http://fcps.edu/schlbd/requestspeak.htm

Date: January 06, 2008 07:50PM

> Baffled,
>
> I am not playing games with the weapons and my
> son's wealfare.
>
> I do feel sorry for some of the posters on the
> other thread who I think want change for their
> school and are not part of the problem. I doubt
> the parents of the violent students are posting
> for example.
>
> I went to a school where there were fights all the
> time and it is like deja vu. I do not want that
> for my son.
>
>
I understand and I do not blame you as I am a parent myself. I remember years ago a coworker of mine made me promise her not to send my kids to SL. She lived across the street from the high school. She was very adamant at that time so when you mentioned weapons, it was like deja vu to me, too. Nothing to do racism, please but my coworker was African-american.

Date: January 06, 2008 07:51PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant Wrote:
> And Fox Mill Parent, this thread is going to be
> very threatening to those hoping to cow and force
> parents into accepting the re-districting like a
> herd of cattle. It is their worst fear as it is
> one piece of the power play that cannot be
> controlled. There certainly was some serious
> crowing over on the other thread and arrogant
> celebrating over the "victory".

What they don't seem to realize is that they are turning off parents even more, making them even more determined to not send their children to South Lakes. Or maybe they just don't care, figuring that your children will be forced to go to South Lakes and they can laugh at them when they arrive.

Nice, huh?

Date: January 06, 2008 07:54PM

Neen Wrote:
> -----
> > And Fox Mill Parent, this thread is going to be
> > very threatening to those hoping to cow and
> force
> > parents into accepting the re-districting like
> a
> > herd of cattle. It is their worst fear as it
> is
> > one piece of the power play that cannot be
> > controlled. There certainly was some serious
> > crowing over on the other thread and arrogant
> > celebrating over the "victory".
>
> What they don't seem to realize is that they are
> turning off parents even more, making them even
> more determined to not send their children to
> South Lakes. Or maybe they just don't care,
> figuring that your children will be forced to go
> to South Lakes and they can laugh at them when
> they arrive.
>
> Nice, huh?

That is a shame what they are doing then.

Date: January 06, 2008 08:09PM

Does anyone else find it suspicious that FCPS hasn't posted any of the 'safe and secure' numbers for the last school year, 2006-2007? Those numbers were available to them in June! So where are they? What do they not want us to know?

For those of you who want more up to data, it is posted on the state website. FCPS reported the data to the state for last year, but haven't put it on their own website. Ummmmm.........

Here is the link to South Lakes for the last three years:

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do?division=29&schoolName=1310

You can search for all the data on all the schools here:
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Date: January 06, 2008 08:17PM

Neen Wrote:
> Does anyone else find it suspicious that FCPS
> hasn't posted any of the 'safe and secure' numbers
> for the last school year, 2006-2007? Those
> numbers were available to them in June! So where
> are they? What do they not want us to know?
>
> For those of you who want more up to data, it is
> posted on the state website. FCPS reported the
> data to the state for last year, but haven't put
> it on their own website. Ummmmm.........
>
> Here is the link to South Lakes for the last three
> years:
>
> https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/report.do
> ?division=29&schoolName=1310
>
> You can search for all the data on all the schools
> here:
> https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Neen,

Thanks a bunch. No wonder why SL is demanding they get "advantaged" kids to help boost their school performance...I noticed the last three catagories said NOT IN IMPROVEMENT for academics. As for safety, I looked at the numbers for 2006-2007..,84 incidents related to behavior among other things? Doesn't sound good.

Date: January 06, 2008 09:10PM

>>>Let me get this straight...are all of the disgruntled parents considering renting a single residence in the district of their choice, hoping that FCPS does not catch on to 30+ students with the same address? I realize that the FCPS administration may not be the most efficient group, but I have to believe that there are some rudimentary administrative computer systems in place to catch this type of behavior.<<<

That can't happen. They can't do that because it would discriminate against some recent immigrants who have several families living in the same house or apartment. They would be afraid of criticizing a culture.

Date: January 06, 2008 09:13PM

Baffled,
You are more than welcome. If FCPS refuses to give the public the facts, at least our state will and parents need to get those facts out to the public as much as possible. The public has a right to the truth. Afterall, it's the public who is paying for the schools! They work for US, all of us. We have a right to know how they are spending our money, a right to know just how inefficient they are with our funds.

Date: January 07, 2008 07:57AM

Neen Wrote:
> Baffled,
> You are more than welcome. If FCPS refuses to
> give the public the facts, at least our state will
> and parents need to get those facts out to the
> public as much as possible. The public has a
> right to the truth. Afterall, it's the public who
> is paying for the schools! They work for US, all
> of us. We have a right to know how they are
> spending our money, a right to know just how
> inefficient they are with our funds.

That is very true. We do need to know because many of us smelled a "rat" when the boundary study started.

Posted by: Lloyd Dobler ()
Date: January 07, 2008 08:00AM

Neen Wrote:
> Does anyone else find it suspicious that FCPS
> hasn't posted any of the 'safe and secure' numbers
> for the last school year, 2006-2007? Those
> numbers were available to them in June! So where
> are they? What do they not want us to know?
>
Jesus Christ people! You would think that this is the grassy knoll or something. Is everything a conspiracy to you? Isn't it more likely that the FCPS webmaster has a ton data relevant to a broad majority of the FCPS community which needs to be posted on a regular basis, rather than focusing on data which is being demanded by a bunch of pinheads? The data was submitted and available through the state DOE and it clearly was not being hidden since you seemed to find it without too much trouble. Move along, there is nothing to see here.

The more I read this and the original forum the more I hope that the lot of you have your schemes for working the system uncovered. There are a lot of valid reasons for pupil placement and for being indignant with FCPS for lack of action, but this NIMBY crap is one more example of how whiny this generation of parents has become which trickles down to your children who feel that with enough yelling and threats they will get their way. Please, find a real problem to solve...God knows that we a lot of them right now...and get your head out of your arse.

Posted by: Lloyd Dobler ()
Date: January 07, 2008 08:17AM

Baffled Wrote:
> Neen,
>
> Thanks a bunch. No wonder why SL is demanding
> they get "advantaged" kids to help boost their
> school performance...I noticed the last three
> catagories said NOT IN IMPROVEMENT for academics.
> As for safety, I looked at the numbers for
> 2006-2007..,84 incidents related to behavior among
> other things? Doesn't sound good.

What is the context for these statistics? How do these numbers compare to other FCPS high schools? You folks really need to take some remedial math courses before trying to draw conclusions from single or highly limited data points.

Robinson, West Springfield, Fairfax, Westfield and South County had 155, 105, 221, 135 and 270 incidents related to behavior respectively in 2006-07. Are those good or bad? I really don't know, but SL does not seem to be that out of line at first glance. More interesting to me are the 'incidents against person' with 44 at South Lakes and 152 at South County.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: January 07, 2008 08:24AM

If one wanted to make one's property in a desired district available for "rent" or swap with a redistricted family, how would one go about letting others know that?

Posted by: QuestionAboutPupilPlacement ()
Date: January 07, 2008 08:52AM

Does South Lakes offer ANY AP courses? If so, you may be hard pressed to use that as a way to pupil place to an 'AP' (non-IB) school. My children go to Robinson which offers a handful of AP courses, primarily to fill POS requirements or where there really is not a roughly equivalent IB course. We looked into having our older daughter, since graduated, pupil-placed at Lake Braddock or West Springfield using AP as the rationale, but were turned down multiple times on the basis that Robinson does offer AP. The reality is that, while there are many AP courses listed in the course catalog, few are ever offered since they are underenrolled and cancelled.

Aside from working to get your kids INTO an IB program, pupil placement in HS is very tough, so you might want to start working on your employment applications and rental agreements now. Good luck!

Date: January 07, 2008 09:20AM

I do not think South Lakes offers AP. They have IB. I think one could pupil place for the AP. I am about to find out today. I am going to call them and find out.

[Particularly after reading some of the ill wishes from some posters here.]

My "whiny" kid spent two weeks in Mexico building a house for a family there --no showers. I am one of those "whiny" parents who attended a community college in the Bronx. I am the same "NIMBY" who went with his son for three football seasons at the county youth football leauge and watched his son play for the "Sea Hawks" --where I wittnessed first hand a kid's spleen get busted during practice because one of the team mates decided to cold-cock a child during practice.

While I do not advocate lying to folks about where one lives, I do not see what is wrong with moving to a place within the school district of one's choice or pupil placing out if the high school doesn't offer the classes one's child is taking at his/her current school. No matter what anyone says or how angrily they say it.

I am affraid what this really boils down to is that Fairfax County has become overcrowded. And we are seeing the results thereof --including very nasty posts, traffic, and forced movement of thousands of children.

Perhaps Fairfax County has reached its Zenith. Sad to say. And yes, some of the housing values will be affected negatively because of the redistricting. Mine will be one of them.

Anyway, I will post what I learn from my son's school.

Date: January 07, 2008 09:28AM

addendum to my previous post: my "whiny" son spent only ONE week without a shower in Mexico helping to build a house for a family.

Posted by: experienced parent ()
Date: January 07, 2008 10:26AM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:

"I think that the percentage of druggies and derelicts is much higher than you would find in most FCPS high schools and the administration is not quite as equipped to deal with this proactively."

You must have your head in your ass. Privet schools like PVI, BI and O'Connell
don't have 1/100 the problem that FCPS have. There are No gangs, No smoking areas, No girls being asked to go home and put some clothes on, No assaults on teachers, No drug dealing in school, No lock down drills, No gang recruiting, No police officers in the school, No class in trailers, No spitting, NO lesbian clubs, No vulgar language permitted and no eating food or watching T.V in class or by teachers.

My kid witnessed this all of this first month they attended a FCPS. We now attend one of the above mentioned privet schools. The schools don't have to "deal with this proactively" you dumb ass. The kids are just a cut above the rest and their parents are active in their lives. My kid told me about 20% percent of the kids at FCPS were nice and respectful and the rest were honestly losers with looser parents. Sounds like you fit into the latter.

Posted by: SAT Prep Mom ()
Date: January 07, 2008 10:53AM

My husband and I came to this country from China and received graduate degrees from Michigan State. I spent my first twenty years living without electricity and indoor plumbing and sometimes not enough to eat. I cannot accept anything less than the best schools and the highest level of work ethic for my two daughters. One qualified for TJHSST but was not selected and therefore she attends Oakton High School and is a sophomore taking two AP classes. Second daughter is in eighth grade at Rachel Carson Middle School.

I am not whining or complaining but I cannot allow my daughters to change schools. Because of my culture and my experiences it is my opinion that others who are middle class Americans can not understand how important it is to go to the best high schools and take the AP and SAT tests with good results. We are going to move because this is what we have to do to give the best education. I risked everything to come to the USA and now my children will know what a parent has to do to ensure the highest level and quality for them. It will make them want to work even harder to succeed and at the right time teach their children how important and powerful their education is for them.

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: January 07, 2008 10:56AM

experienced parent Wrote:
> AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
>
>
> "I think that the percentage of druggies and
> derelicts is much higher than you would find in
> most FCPS high schools and the administration is
> not quite as equipped to deal with this
> proactively."
>
> You must have your head in your ass. Privet
> schools like PVI, BI and O'Connell
> don't have 1/100 the problem that FCPS have. There
> are No gangs, No smoking areas, No girls being
> asked to go home and put some clothes on, No
> assaults on teachers, No drug dealing in school,
> No lock down drills, No gang recruiting, No police
> officers in the school, No class in trailers, No
> spitting, NO lesbian clubs, No vulgar language
> permitted and no eating food or watching T.V in
> class or by teachers.
>
> My kid witnessed this all of this first month they
> attended a FCPS. We now attend one of the above
> mentioned privet schools. The schools don't have
> to "deal with this proactively" you dumb ass. The
> kids are just a cut above the rest and their
> parents are active in their lives. My kid told me
> about 20% percent of the kids at FCPS were nice
> and respectful and the rest were honestly losers
> with looser parents. Sounds like you fit into the
> latter.

First, invest in a spell checker. I assume that you meant "private" when you wrote "privet" unless you were really talking about landscaping.

Sorry to disagree, but all of the students at PVI, BI, etc. are not a "cut above the rest", they are just teenagers - some good and some not so good. While I agree about the dress code, you are delusional if you believe that there is no drug dealing going on. I can name at least two former FCPS students who were expelled for dealing marijuana now enrolled at PVI. If you could see their Facebook pages and talk to their friends you would know that this behavior did not stop when they enrolled at PVI.

There are no trailers because the Diocese limits enrollment...that's what private schools do. No lesbian/GLBT clubs or foul language because they either do not fit with Catholic teaching or violate the school's code of conduct. Students can be asked to leave with much less due process than public schools.

I find it hard to believe that PVI does not have an emergency plan, including lockdown drills, since most of the threats are external (i.e., 2002 sniper attacks, terrorist attack, chemical spill). As a parent I would be concerned if there was no plan since this is simply irresponsible and potentially negligent.

Where did your kid go to school before transferring? I really find it hard to believe that he/she met enough of the population to determine that 80% were losers. My personal experience is that about 20% are really outstanding, 70% are somewhere in the middle and the remaining 10% are the ones who ruin it for everyone and/or help color a school's image.

Feel free to call me a dumb ass, but my oldest daughter spent spring break on a mission trip to Haiti and is taking a year off from college to volunteer with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. She had a 3.7 GPA at Lake Braddock and attends UVA. During high school she had nearly 2100 hours of volunteer time with the Fairfax County Park Authority and won several awards and scholarships based on her community service. My youngest daughter in a youth activist involved with anti-smoking and green programs. Are all of their friends in that top 20% I mentioned? No, but I believe that many of them have become better people as a result of hanging around with my daughters and her other friends.

Date: January 07, 2008 11:05AM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> experienced parent Wrote:
> -----
> > AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> >
> >
> > "I think that the percentage of druggies and
> > derelicts is much higher than you would find in
> > most FCPS high schools and the administration
> is
> > not quite as equipped to deal with this
> > proactively."
> >
> > You must have your head in your ass. Privet
> > schools like PVI, BI and O'Connell
> > don't have 1/100 the problem that FCPS have.
> There
> > are No gangs, No smoking areas, No girls being
> > asked to go home and put some clothes on, No
> > assaults on teachers, No drug dealing in
> school,
> > No lock down drills, No gang recruiting, No
> police
> > officers in the school, No class in trailers,
> No
> > spitting, NO lesbian clubs, No vulgar language
> > permitted and no eating food or watching T.V in
> > class or by teachers.
> >
> > My kid witnessed this all of this first month
> they
> > attended a FCPS. We now attend one of the above
> > mentioned privet schools. The schools don't
> have
> > to "deal with this proactively" you dumb ass.
> The
> > kids are just a cut above the rest and their
> > parents are active in their lives. My kid told
> me
> > about 20% percent of the kids at FCPS were nice
> > and respectful and the rest were honestly
> losers
> > with looser parents. Sounds like you fit into
> the
> > latter.
>
> First, invest in a spell checker. I assume that
> you meant "private" when you wrote "privet" unless
> you were really talking about landscaping.
>
> Sorry to disagree, but all of the students at PVI,
> BI, etc. are not a "cut above the rest", they are
> just teenagers - some good and some not so good.
> While I agree about the dress code, you are
> delusional if you believe that there is no drug
> dealing going on. I can name at least two former
> FCPS students who were expelled for dealing
> marijuana now enrolled at PVI. If you could see
> their Facebook pages and talk to their friends you
> would know that this behavior did not stop when
> they enrolled at PVI.
>
> There are no trailers because the Diocese limits
> enrollment...that's what private schools do. No
> lesbian/GLBT clubs or foul language because they
> either do not fit with Catholic teaching or
> violate the school's code of conduct. Students
> can be asked to leave with much less due process
> than public schools.
>
> I find it hard to believe that PVI does not have
> an emergency plan, including lockdown drills,
> since most of the threats are external (i.e., 2002
> sniper attacks, terrorist attack, chemical spill).
> As a parent I would be concerned if there was no
> plan since this is simply irresponsible and
> potentially negligent.
>
> Where did your kid go to school before
> transferring? I really find it hard to believe
> that he/she met enough of the population to
> determine that 80% were losers. My personal
> experience is that about 20% are really
> outstanding, 70% are somewhere in the middle and
> the remaining 10% are the ones who ruin it for
> everyone and/or help color a school's image.
>
> Feel free to call me a dumb ass, but my oldest
> daughter spent spring break on a mission trip to
> Haiti and is taking a year off from college to
> volunteer with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. She
> had a 3.7 GPA at Lake Braddock and attends UVA.
> During high school she had nearly 2100 hours of
> volunteer time with the Fairfax County Park
> Authority and won several awards and scholarships
> based on her community service. My youngest
> daughter in a youth activist involved with
> anti-smoking and green programs. Are all of their
> friends in that top 20% I mentioned? No, but I
> believe that many of them have become better
> people as a result of hanging around with my
> daughters and her other friends.

Hey how about you both creating a new thread just to discuss the pros and cons of private schools and public schools? This thread was specifically for parents to try to figure out how to get to their kids to go their desired school districts thanks to the redistricting circus.

Posted by: fox mill mom ()
Date: January 07, 2008 11:36AM

I heard that South Lakes will offer some AP classes online (I believe they already have this in the works) to try to cut off that avenue for those of us who would have used it to pupil place out. I hope that this is just an awful rumor; if not, they might as well have left South Lakes the way it was with no windows and no doors because it will truly be a prison - no way out.

I just recieved a nasty email from a school board member in response to my email expressing my anger at how the redistricting has taken place. She said I was "harsh" and thought that people at South Lakes would be offended that I called their school substandard. She has no clue how people feel out here! It IS substandard because it does not offer programs that are "standard" at other schools. So now this sb member is in charge of my opinion? I'm supposed to stop talking because other people might be offended? TOO BAD!! I'm offended! This is a new member who has to be incredibly naive to think that we would sit down and shut up.

Posted by: HayHayHay ()
Date: January 07, 2008 11:37AM

I pay 500 bucks a month to board my wife's horse with a nice family off Fox Mill Road. Guess what district they live in?????? You guessed it! Now I have only seen him a couple of times in three years but he looks like a very smart horse and will need to take some AP classes. I write a check on the first of the month EVERY month and have been for years and my wife and daughter are going to talk to them and get something signed here. I can't think of a better reason as to why I have been saddled (getit?) with all these payments but maybe it is a sign from God himslef.

I dont' mean to laugh or make fun of the situation but I just had to tell someone because I'm not going to be able to tell anyone once we notify the school that we've moved. My wife and daughter spend way too much time with the horse and they can pick up any mail from the school. Come to think of it if the Seahawk brigade come a-checkin' they will probably find them both there as my wife takes good care of the horse.

Posted by: FME ()
Date: January 07, 2008 11:46AM

I couldn't care less that parents from SLHS or the SB do not like or agree with my attitude or opinions. I don't like this change and I'm going to fix it for my family. I intend to use this space to tell everyone I can that we are all going to have to move or rent in the Oakton district in order to stay at the school of our choice.

Please don't be intimidated by the SB tactics of scaring and scolding us when we don't go along with their plan. Decide for yourself what is worth doing for your child or children and then do it. Just DO IT. Don't hesitate and don't second guess yourself. Your kids will thank you for it later and they will see a real example of your leadership as a parent and the sacrifices you are willing to make to give them the education YOU want them to have.

Date: January 07, 2008 11:59AM

fox mill mom Wrote:
> I heard that South Lakes will offer some AP
> classes online (I believe they already have this
> in the works) to try to cut off that avenue for
> those of us who would have used it to pupil place
> out. I hope that this is just an awful rumor; if
> not, they might as well have left South Lakes the
> way it was with no windows and no doors because it
> will truly be a prison - no way out.
>
> I just recieved a nasty email from a school board
> member in response to my email expressing my anger
> at how the redistricting has taken place. She said
> I was "harsh" and thought that people at South
> Lakes would be offended that I called their school
> substandard. She has no clue how people feel out
> here! It IS substandard because it does not offer
> programs that are "standard" at other schools. So
> now this sb member is in charge of my opinion?
> I'm supposed to stop talking because other people
> might be offended? TOO BAD!! I'm offended! This
> is a new member who has to be incredibly naive to
> think that we would sit down and shut up.

You have got to be kidding. This is in no way a professional manner for a SB member to demonstrate. Sounds like she is in favortism of certain schools? I wonder how credible these SB members are?

Date: January 07, 2008 12:09PM

Anyone can pay about $700 to take an online AP course. Check it out on the internet and you will see that thise is true. This is something that has been available to anyone for some time. If the SB thinks they can use our taxpayer dollars and "offer" one online course to students to get around pupil-placers, they are worse than we thought originally. If you talk to teachers who teach AP in the classroom, they will tell you that for high school students, taking the course in a classroom with the dynamic of other students trying to do well in a group setting, that there is no online substitute for the classroom learning with a teacher.

Why is this so important to them? They have their brand new high school which is more than everyone else. Is is just because we are defying them? Does it just piss them off that they can't force students to enroll at their new boondoggle?

Date: January 07, 2008 12:16PM

FME Wrote:
> Anyone can pay about $700 to take an online AP
> course. Check it out on the internet and you will
> see that thise is true. This is something that
> has been available to anyone for some time. If
> the SB thinks they can use our taxpayer dollars
> and "offer" one online course to students to get
> around pupil-placers, they are worse than we
> thought originally. If you talk to teachers who
> teach AP in the classroom, they will tell you that
> for high school students, taking the course in a
> classroom with the dynamic of other students
> trying to do well in a group setting, that there
> is no online substitute for the classroom learning
> with a teacher.
>
> Why is this so important to them? They have their
> brand new high school which is more than everyone
> else. Is is just because we are defying them?
> Does it just piss them off that they can't force
> students to enroll at their new boondoggle?

This is amazing...a brand new facelift for a high school, a group of PTA members and SB members clamping down on pupil placement and skittish going about offering some AP courses online, what next? Students wearing orange outfits to school?

Posted by: fox mill mom ()
Date: January 07, 2008 12:25PM

I hate to see what's next. About the online-AP, I heard that it will be used to complement IB courses. In other words, they'll offer a math or science AP if there is no corresponding IB course. Then they'll say you have to take it online since IB is already offered in the classroom.

By the way, Liz Bradsher is the school board member who gave me a tongue lashing for being angry over the redistricting. Please email her so she doesn't think I'm the only one!

Posted by: Casual Observer ()
Date: January 07, 2008 01:06PM

This is a fascinating thread. I have seen several posts that are just downright inaccurate and/or ignorant and several posts endorsing breaking the law and/or at least lying. Do you really want to teach your children to lie or break the law when they don't like whatever situation they are in? Do you really want to teach them that they can't adapt and thrive various circumstances?

I thank the parent who started this thread. I will be making sure that each and every school board member reads this thread by admitting it to the record at the January 30th meeting. Will they be surprised at the depths to which their constituents will go in the name of ignorance?

I though I lived in a County of well-educated and thoughtful people, but boy have I changed my mind.

Good luck with your efforts to avoid South Lakes. I hope your children will be very proud of you.

Posted by: Concerned Taxpayers ()
Date: January 07, 2008 02:01PM

Dear Fairfax County School Board Members,

After reading the previous comment from "Casual Observer" I would like you to know the following:

I am a father of three and currently reside in the Fox Mill/Franklin/Oakton district and am located inside the boundary of the area slated to be redistricted to South Lakes High School.

I pay taxes and have worked very hard to own a home in this area. I am Hispanic. Unfortunately, threatening comments like those provided by "Casual Observer" have been all too familiar to me during my lifetime. Reread the post by "Casual Observer" and imagine what kind of environment full of bigotry would await my children at South Lakes. Repeatedly, I have been called a liar, law breaker, ignorant, a bad role model to my children, and poorly educated to name a few. This is a situation that I and my family experience from time to time.

Sadly, I feel strongly that after reading these redistricting threads on this website have confirmed my worst fears that the parents of South Lakes High School hold these negative stereotypes. Because of hostile, threatening posts like this I have decided that my children would not be safe attending South Lakes High School.

I attended all of the meetings and was disappointed to see that exactly none of my viewpoints or comments were recorded or taken into consideration.

I would like to record here that I do NOT wish to continue with the boundary study or the redistricting. I too am very grateful to the parents who started and continue these threads because they have allowed me a chance to see how the parents from South Lakes that are posting here truly feel about us and a chance to read the contempt they have for our feelings and decisions for ourselves. If you have never been on the receiving end of discrimination and bigotry, read for yourselves.

I plan to move or enroll my children in a local private Catholic school should the proposed Plan #5 go through.

It is my sincerest hope that posts such as those by "Casual Observer" help the School Board and the administration at South Lakes High School understand why there might be considerable underenrollment. I put much thought and money investing in a home inside the Oakton High School boundary four years ago and I will do it again should the boundaries be adjusted according to Plan #5. This is my right as a citizen and taxpayer, that I may choose to live wherever I wish.

Sincerely,
Ramon de la Sol Pool

Date: January 07, 2008 02:22PM

Concerned Taxpayers Wrote:
> Dear Fairfax County School Board Members,
>
> After reading the previous comment from "Casual
> Observer" I would like you to know the following:
>
> I am a father of three and currently reside in
> the Fox Mill/Franklin/Oakton district and am
> located inside the boundary of the area slated to
> be redistricted to South Lakes High School.
>
> I pay taxes and have worked very hard to own a
> home in this area. I am Hispanic. Unfortunately,
> threatening comments like those provided by
> "Casual Observer" have been all too familiar to me
> during my lifetime. Reread the post by "Casual
> Observer" and imagine what kind of environment
> full of bigotry would await my children at South
> Lakes. Repeatedly, I have been called a liar, law
> breaker, ignorant, a bad role model to my
> children, and poorly educated to name a few. This
> is a situation that I and my family experience
> from time to time.
>
> Sadly, I feel strongly that after reading these
> redistricting threads on this website have
> confirmed my worst fears that the parents of South
> Lakes High School hold these negative stereotypes.
> Because of hostile, threatening posts like this I
> have decided that my children would not be safe
> attending South Lakes High School.
>
> I attended all of the meetings and was
> disappointed to see that exactly none of my
> viewpoints or comments were recorded or taken into
> consideration.
>
> I would like to record here that I do NOT wish to
> continue with the boundary study or the
> redistricting. I too am very grateful to the
> parents who started and continue these threads
> because they have allowed me a chance to see how
> the parents from South Lakes that are posting here
> truly feel about us and a chance to read the
> contempt they have for our feelings and decisions
> for ourselves. If you have never been on the
> receiving end of discrimination and bigotry, read
> for yourselves.
>
> I plan to move or enroll my children in a local
> private Catholic school should the proposed Plan
> #5 go through.
>
> It is my sincerest hope that posts such as those
> by "Casual Observer" help the School Board and the
> administration at South Lakes High School
> understand why there might be considerable
> underenrollment. I put much thought and money
> investing in a home inside the Oakton High School
> boundary four years ago and I will do it again
> should the boundaries be adjusted according to
> Plan #5. This is my right as a citizen and
> taxpayer, that I may choose to live wherever I
> wish.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Ramon de la Sol Pool

Ramon,

Please tell me how the comments from Casual Observer were in any way threatening or antagonistic towards you or any other family affected by the redistricting. Where is the bigotry that you claim? I believe that Casual Observer is spot on in pointing out that this thread is focused on legal, questionable and (potentially) illegal methods for bypassing the SB's decision.

I respect your right to disagree with whatever plan the SB agrees to and wish you a lot of luck with your decision to enroll your children in Catholic school. At the same time, I feel that you are cutting off your nose in spite of your face with actions which would seem appropriate if your children were being sent to school in the 9th Ward of New Orleans, not to a very good high school in one of the premier school systems in the country with nearly unlimited resources. Rather than trying to be an agent of change you and your ilk (not a racial or ethnic commentary by the way) decide to cut and run.

Some of you liken your decision to break the law to a noble act of civil disobedience which should be admired by your children, when in fact you are creating a teachable moment where dishonesty and 'anything to get ahead' is the right way forward. You are the parents which make me worry about this generation as they become leaders in 20-30 years.

Posted by: Concerned Taxpayers ()
Date: January 07, 2008 02:50PM

Sir or Maam,

Are you a minority? I am guessing that you are not. You have probably never been discriminated against or denied anything you could purchase or achieve. Getting a quality education is, in my opinion and personal experience, THE great equalizer. It is my belief that the threatening posters on this board are either the same person or part of a group that are trying to intimidate and harrass. Some of these threatening posters speak of despicable actions and that moving away from the South Lakes High School district is equal to that of being an illegal alien.

Have you ever been profiled? Do you even know what that is? My family was in the boundaries of the current USA long before the Mayflower arrived, yet I am subject to investigations because for some reason, I "look" like an illegal alien. When I hear threats about someone "turning me in" because I've moved residences or discuss renting or owning within the Oakton High School boundary in a public forum, I feel threatened because unless you've experienced profiling, you don't understand how you can be accused falsely of something and your civil rights violated in the blink of an eye.

So don't talk to me about being a role model to my children. I see moving back into the Oakton High School boundary as no different than the purchase of my current house where my wife and I decided in the first place.

I will not respond to any more posts unless you are willing to post your name. My children will know that I was willing to expose myself to additional profiling in order to keep them at the schools that I choose. Worry about improving not just the school building. If I felt that there was a compelling EDUCATIONAL reason to send my children to South Lakes High School, I would.

Sincerely,
Ramon de la Sol Pool

Date: January 07, 2008 03:01PM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> Concerned Taxpayers Wrote:
> -----
> > Dear Fairfax County School Board Members,
> >
> > After reading the previous comment from "Casual
> > Observer" I would like you to know the
> following:
> >
> > I am a father of three and currently reside
> in
> > the Fox Mill/Franklin/Oakton district and am
> > located inside the boundary of the area slated
> to
> > be redistricted to South Lakes High School.
> >
> > I pay taxes and have worked very hard to own
> a
> > home in this area. I am Hispanic.
> Unfortunately,
> > threatening comments like those provided by
> > "Casual Observer" have been all too familiar to
> me
> > during my lifetime. Reread the post by "Casual
> > Observer" and imagine what kind of environment
> > full of bigotry would await my children at
> South
> > Lakes. Repeatedly, I have been called a liar,
> law
> > breaker, ignorant, a bad role model to my
> > children, and poorly educated to name a few.
> This
> > is a situation that I and my family experience
> > from time to time.
> >
> > Sadly, I feel strongly that after reading these
> > redistricting threads on this website have
> > confirmed my worst fears that the parents of
> South
> > Lakes High School hold these negative
> stereotypes.
> > Because of hostile, threatening posts like this
> I
> > have decided that my children would not be safe
> > attending South Lakes High School.
> >
> > I attended all of the meetings and was
> > disappointed to see that exactly none of my
> > viewpoints or comments were recorded or taken
> into
> > consideration.
> >
> > I would like to record here that I do NOT wish
> to
> > continue with the boundary study or the
> > redistricting. I too am very grateful to the
> > parents who started and continue these threads
> > because they have allowed me a chance to see
> how
> > the parents from South Lakes that are posting
> here
> > truly feel about us and a chance to read the
> > contempt they have for our feelings and
> decisions
> > for ourselves. If you have never been on the
> > receiving end of discrimination and bigotry,
> read
> > for yourselves.
> >
> > I plan to move or enroll my children in a local
> > private Catholic school should the proposed
> Plan
> > #5 go through.
> >
> > It is my sincerest hope that posts such as
> those
> > by "Casual Observer" help the School Board and
> the
> > administration at South Lakes High School
> > understand why there might be considerable
> > underenrollment. I put much thought and money
> > investing in a home inside the Oakton High
> School
> > boundary four years ago and I will do it again
> > should the boundaries be adjusted according to
> > Plan #5. This is my right as a citizen and
> > taxpayer, that I may choose to live wherever I
> > wish.
> >
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Ramon de la Sol Pool
>
> Ramon,
>
> Please tell me how the comments from Casual
> Observer were in any way threatening or
> antagonistic towards you or any other family
> affected by the redistricting. Where is the
> bigotry that you claim? I believe that Casual
> Observer is spot on in pointing out that this
> thread is focused on legal, questionable and
> (potentially) illegal methods for bypassing the
> SB's decision.
>
> I respect your right to disagree with whatever
> plan the SB agrees to and wish you a lot of luck
> with your decision to enroll your children in
> Catholic school. At the same time, I feel that
> you are cutting off your nose in spite of your
> face with actions which would seem appropriate if
> your children were being sent to school in the 9th
> Ward of New Orleans, not to a very good high
> school in one of the premier school systems in the
> country with nearly unlimited resources. Rather
> than trying to be an agent of change you and your
> ilk (not a racial or ethnic commentary by the way)
> decide to cut and run.
>
> Some of you liken your decision to break the law
> to a noble act of civil disobedience which should
> be admired by your children, when in fact you are
> creating a teachable moment where dishonesty and
> 'anything to get ahead' is the right way forward.
> You are the parents which make me worry about this
> generation as they become leaders in 20-30 years.

Pardon me, but we all have choices here where we want to live whether it be schools or communities. I have not seen such a ridiculous boundary study as this one and I have grew up in Fairfax County all my life. If parents do not like whatever situations they are forced to deal with, they have the right to do something about them for the sake of their families. I do not support lying or cheating or teaching our children immoral values of life here, but I do support teaching about choices and what we want with our lives, not be forced to do something against our will. High school is an important time for our children to be part of. This constant redistricting and this particular boundary study is out of context with the true meaning of DISTRICTING and REDISTRICTING when it is absolutely necessary to redistrict and with appropriate/available taxpayer funds to support the redistricting. Now you have mentioned bigotry, why don't you take it to the SB and have them talk about South Reston and North Reston, why can't they be united as one Reston and have the two Reston precints (in the Herndon district)to go to South Lakes? I have driven to these two precints and cannot see why they can't go to South Lakes. Isn't bigotry involved? No? What happened? Certainly the SB had to be involved in this and decided no Reston can't be united. Again, what happened? So let these parents express how they feel once again because we all have CHOICES.

Date: January 07, 2008 03:35PM

Concerned Taxpayers Wrote:
> Sir or Maam,
>
> Are you a minority? I am guessing that you are
> not. You have probably never been discriminated
> against or denied anything you could purchase or
> achieve. Getting a quality education is, in my
> opinion and personal experience, THE great
> equalizer. It is my belief that the threatening
> posters on this board are either the same person
> or part of a group that are trying to intimidate
> and harrass. Some of these threatening posters
> speak of despicable actions and that moving away
> from the South Lakes High School district is equal
> to that of being an illegal alien.
>
> Have you ever been profiled? Do you even know
> what that is? My family was in the boundaries of
> the current USA long before the Mayflower arrived,
> yet I am subject to investigations because for
> some reason, I "look" like an illegal alien. When
> I hear threats about someone "turning me in"
> because I've moved residences or discuss renting
> or owning within the Oakton High School boundary
> in a public forum, I feel threatened because
> unless you've experienced profiling, you don't
> understand how you can be accused falsely of
> something and your civil rights violated in the
> blink of an eye.
>
> So don't talk to me about being a role model to my
> children. I see moving back into the Oakton High
> School boundary as no different than the purchase
> of my current house where my wife and I decided in
> the first place.
>
> I will not respond to any more posts unless you
> are willing to post your name. My children will
> know that I was willing to expose myself to
> additional profiling in order to keep them at the
> schools that I choose. Worry about improving not
> just the school building. If I felt that there
> was a compelling EDUCATIONAL reason to send my
> children to South Lakes High School, I would.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ramon de la Sol Pool

Ramon,

My name is Eric Melendez and my family came to the US from Honduras in 1977. I, too, have been profiled and threatened, even long after obtaining a high level security clearance and having senior positions in both the Federal government and the private sector. Honestly, it sucks, but I have learned to deal with this without sacrificing my principles or bringing dishonor to my family.

I appreciate your comments about education, but simply don't buy the argument that your children will be disadvantaged and offered a sub-standard education program at South Lakes. For all of the hand waving and hysteria I fail to see anything other than hyperbole regarding the awful fate which will befall your children in the coming years. So, go ahead, move or send your kids to private school. I really hope that that works out for you, but I am willing to bet that in 5 years that the children who were forced against their will into SL will be at least as successful as their peers at OHS, Chantilly, Madison and Westfield.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: January 07, 2008 03:42PM

Just thought I would offer this -

Years ago a family member of mine made a choice to have his children attend the school he preferred - by using the address of a relative in that school district. Everything went fine for a couple of years or so, then one of the other parents by chance caught wind of the situation and disclosed what was going on. The end result was that my family member had to pay back tuition for the two plus years (IIRC ~$25,000 +).

This was not in the Fairfax school system but was in a neighboring school system.

My recommendation would be to obtain clarity from the schools as to what is allowed/acceptable as far as claiming residency and to be cognizant as to whether or not you are in compliance, and if not, be aware of any risks you may be considering.

Keep in mind the experience related above was not in Fairfax and happened many years ago and I have no idea what the current rules or restrictions are.

Good luck to everyone in having your children attend the schools of your choice.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:12PM

HA HA HA!!!!

ERIC MELENDEZ? ERIC MELENDEZ? You are a FAKER, a FAKER! I just googled (yes GOOGLED!) and there is nor was any ERIC MELENDEZ in a federal government position.

This is toooo funny. I think whoever is trying to intimidate could only think up a hispano name and came up on the spot with:

ERIC MENENDEZ!!! Remember him? He and his brother Lyle shot their parents to pieces in Hollywood and then spent the money. I think they might have gotten the death penalty. Wow, this is what happens when white people start trying to imitate minorities. Hee hooooweee

This thread is the best and most revealing thing I've seen on this whole mess.

So fake so fake is Mike real? I don't think so.

Posted by: Booloony ()
Date: January 07, 2008 04:23PM

FME Wrote:
> HA HA HA!!!!
>
>
> ERIC MELENDEZ? ERIC MELENDEZ? You are a FAKER, a
> FAKER! I just googled (yes GOOGLED!) and there is
> nor was any ERIC MELENDEZ in a federal government
> position.
>
> This is toooo funny. I think whoever is trying to
> intimidate could only think up a hispano name and
> came up on the spot with:
>
> ERIC MENENDEZ!!! Remember him? He and his
> brother Lyle shot their parents to pieces in
> Hollywood and then spent the money. I think they
> might have gotten the death penalty. Wow, this is
> what happens when white people start trying to
> imitate minorities. Hee hooooweee
>
> This thread is the best and most revealing thing
> I've seen on this whole mess.
>
> So fake so fake is Mike real? I don't think so.

Dude, you are a friggin genius. Don't you realize Ramon of the Sunny Pool is fake as well. They are both fake. Neither individual has a name of record anywhere in Fairfax County.

For what it is worth though, he COULD have been a contractor with a clearance or retired, or whatever. FME, you sir, are a moron.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:24PM

FME Wrote:
> HA HA HA!!!!
>
>
> position.
>
>
>
>

Bingo, you hit it right on the nail. When he stated his "name" as Eric Melendez, I thought sheesh, this name sounded so familiar and when you brought up the real name, Eric Menendez, I said to myself that's it, that was the name I was trying to come up with. Thanks. So why are people trying to accuse us of lying or cheating? They are doing that just as well!

Date: January 07, 2008 04:34PM

FME Wrote:
> HA HA HA!!!!
>
>
> position.
>
>
>
>

Read my post just a wee bit closer...I said that I have held positions in the Federal government, but did not claim to work there presently. I now work in the private sector running a program management office for a large government agency. Even with the many porous government information systems, I find it hard to believe that you can Google the name of every current and former Federal employee with 100% accuracy. All that I can tell you is that your source is wrong - can't say any more than that,

Funny you should mention Eric Menendez. I used to get that a lot...people (maybe even you) thought that the similarity in our names was quite funny. Needless to say, I failed to see the humor. Keep trying, though...maybe you can find a career on the stand-up comedy circuit.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:38PM

Simple scare tactics to keep the sheep in the pen. Come on people, weeez been lied to!! This is the same idiot trying to place the "scary boogey man" in our minds. We'll have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars back to the school system. OOOOoh. Not likely. Catholic schools are full of FCPS expels. Not likely. They'll check your houses, your property, your rentals, your marital status. Not likely. FCPS will look for 30+ kids in one home!!! Yeah, maybe but there are those all over the county and no one cares about it now. So not likely. How entertained are we? Not very. Wow, what honor and integrity. This is actually quite funny.

They do think we are morons. Thanks for saying it loud and clear Boolooney. So many different folks checking our thread. NOT!!!

Date: January 07, 2008 04:38PM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> Read my post just a wee bit closer...I said that I
> have held positions in the Federal government, but
> did not claim to work there presently. I now work
> in the private sector running a program management
> office for a large government agency. Even with
> the many porous government information systems, I
> find it hard to believe that you can Google the
> name of every current and former Federal employee
> with 100% accuracy. All that I can tell you is
> that your source is wrong - can't say any more
> than that,
>
> Funny you should mention Eric Menendez. I used to
> get that a lot...people (maybe even you) thought
> that the similarity in our names was quite funny.
> Needless to say, I failed to see the humor. Keep
> trying, though...maybe you can find a career on
> the stand-up comedy circuit.

Eric, if you are real, you live completely off the grid or you do not live in Fairfax County. There is no Eric Menendez in Fairfax and has not been for at least 15 years.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:41PM

So prove it and give us a verifiable website to confirm your identity. Such a bigshot such as you with your fancy Federal jobs (no less!) and your big bucks private jobs and your high security clearance.

Yah, I didn't think so

Date: January 07, 2008 04:43PM

Yep everybody, meet your new classmate's parent -- Eric. Get used to it. Or move.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:46PM

Booloony Wrote:
> AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> -----
> > Read my post just a wee bit closer...I said that
> I
> > have held positions in the Federal government,
> but
> > did not claim to work there presently. I now
> work
> > in the private sector running a program
> management
> > office for a large government agency. Even
> with
> > the many porous government information systems,
> I
> > find it hard to believe that you can Google the
> > name of every current and former Federal
> employee
> > with 100% accuracy. All that I can tell you is
> > that your source is wrong - can't say any more
> > than that,
> >
> > Funny you should mention Eric Menendez. I used
> to
> > get that a lot...people (maybe even you)
> thought
> > that the similarity in our names was quite
> funny.
> > Needless to say, I failed to see the humor.
> Keep
> > trying, though...maybe you can find a career on
> > the stand-up comedy circuit.
>
> Eric, if you are real, you live completely off the
> grid or you do not live in Fairfax County. There
> is no Eric Menendez in Fairfax and has not been
> for at least 15 years.

First, it is MELENDEZ, not MENENDEZ. Second, I work exceptionally hard to on my privacy and you can find some of my publications and presentations with a thorough Web search if you knew what to look for, but most of the simple methods don't work so well and I get lost in the clutter. My real estate, for example, is owned through a trust, so that is not a very promising avenue.

Believe what you want...I am just sharing an opinion which is apparently a minority view. Good luck to all of you in your quest for justice.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: January 07, 2008 04:49PM

FME Wrote:
> Simple scare tactics to keep the sheep in the pen.

No I'm real. I almost hesitated in posting the information because I'm not sure how relevant the situation is. I also post on the other thread occasionally. I am an ardent opponent of redistricting and I support the exchange of ideas on this thread as to how to attend the schools you choose. I am simply advocating that one check out the rules before making decisions so that you know 1) if you are within rules and 2) if not, if you are at any risk, i.e. so that you could take additional precautions if necessary.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:50PM

Because you are a FAKER. Go away and leave us alone. State department and sucks in the same paragraph was what tipped me off BTW. Yes, you state dept folks are super secret and write sucks all the time. FAKER. Ha ha ha ha ha

Date: January 07, 2008 04:53PM

FME Wrote:
> So prove it and give us a verifiable website to
> confirm your identity. Such a bigshot such as you
> with your fancy Federal jobs (no less!) and your
> big bucks private jobs and your high security
> clearance.
>
> Yah, I didn't think so

What's the point? Why are you so hostile? What is it about a contrarian view that scares you so much? I don't get why you are calling me a 'bigshot' and talking about a 'fancy' Federal job. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting someone in the SES or with a TS clearance...it really is not that big of a deal. I work just like you and your spouse trying to make a living for my family.

Make you an offer, however...post your real name and address and I will do likewise. Deal?

Date: January 07, 2008 04:57PM

AlwaysAnEagle Wrote:
> You can't swing a dead cat around here without
> hitting someone in the SES or with a TS
> clearance...

Mr. Melendez:

Maybe swinging a dead cat is cool where you are from in Honduras, but here in the USA and specifically Fairfax, I must tell you it is NOT cool at all. Look, I understand that in some cultures, apparently yours, swinging dead animals is OK, but we just don't do that here. In fact, it might be illegal. Just a word of advice. Have a good evening.

Posted by: realways ()
Date: January 07, 2008 09:32PM

The real way to stay at school of your choice is to throw these left wing liberals out of the school board in the next election.

Posted by: C'mon ()
Date: January 07, 2008 10:11PM

realways Wrote:
> The real way to stay at school of your choice is
> to throw these left wing liberals out of the
> school board in the next election.

Ain't going to happen. Welcome to the New Fairfax. We might as well be called Arlington South.

Date: January 07, 2008 10:38PM

Holy crap what happened here? Let's get back to the issue at hand of sharing ideas about how to enroll in the high school of our choice.

So far we have:

1. Apply to private schools.

2. Move to a house/apt in the desired boundary.

3. Pupil-place based a curriculum request for AP.

Remember the deadline for pupil-placement applications is April 15. We will find out then whether or not these requests will be categorically declined.

Also remember that most private schools have deadlines for applications in the first few months of the year. Some do no fill up and will take students at any point throughout the year.

None of these are illegal and will get you where you want to go. Good luck to everyone who is actually trying to figure this situation out and come up with a workable, effective solution. Take control of your options and don't be scared or intimidated by stupid comments. Those of us who want out will have to ignore the bullies.

Posted by: Fox Mill Estate Parent ()
Date: January 08, 2008 01:11AM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant, Amen to that.

"Take control of your options and don't be scared or intimidated by stupid comments. Those of us who want out will have to ignore the bullies."

It has been my observation that "bullies" are scared of something by the way.

Good Luck to All of You and Stay Strong.

Date: January 08, 2008 01:13AM

I look forward to my visit tommorrow at Oakton High School.

Date: January 08, 2008 02:21AM

realways Wrote:
> The real way to stay at school of your choice is
> to throw these left wing liberals out of the
> school board in the next election.

Way too late for that. They have 4 years to redistrict the entire county.

Date: January 08, 2008 02:40AM

Date: January 08, 2008 06:39AM

> Something from the Economist.
>
>
>
> http://www.economist.com/world/international/displ
> aystory.cfm?story_id=9119786

That is quite an interesting article! Being forced against one's will to a school of not their choice is not a choice so yes we should have choices! Thanks.

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: January 08, 2008 08:58AM

> Something from the Economist.
>
>
>
> http://www.economist.com/world/international/displ
> aystory.cfm?story_id=9119786

Interesting article, but I don't think that it is really germane to the RD issue at hand unless you are suggesting that the SB provide parents dissatisfied with the RD decision with vouchers to attend private school. If so, why don't you approach this from a legal perspective and request an injunction or restraining order (obviously I am not a lawyer) so that this can be reviewed by the courts.

You obviously feel that this RD proposal is akin to busing in Boston during the 70s to create racial balance or in PG county during the 90s. If so, the courts may be your best course of action.

Date: January 08, 2008 09:30AM

Pupil-placement is the substitute for vouchers in the FCPS re-districting scenario.

It's pupil-placements not private school vouchers.

Pupil-placements would act as vouchers and allow the marketplace for educational services to function efficiently. This way, parents who feel strongly enough and are willing to go through the hassle of getting approval and providing transportation can decide for themselves which high school their children attend, with the exception of TJ which truly is an example of excellence through competition.

This is why parents in the incipient re-districted zones are frustrated at the thought of losing pupil-placement options. People don't like being told that they can't have the school of their choice, assuming they purchased their housing based on the school district.

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: January 08, 2008 10:28AM

> People don't like being
> told that they can't have the school of their
> choice, assuming they purchased their housing
> based on the school district.

I understand your point, but redistricting is a fact within FCPS and assuming that your base school and pyramid will remain the same is really not valid unless you happen to live within, say, walking distance of a school. For better or worse, the county-based model in Virginia makes no guarantees regarding which school your child will attend and I believe that the FCPS SB approaches redistricting carefully since it always results in acrimony on behalf of one group or another.

Also, you and other keep talking about school district when you really mean pyramid since the school district is FCPS. If you want a guaranteed pyramid you may need to look at states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Massachusetts where the schools are managed at the town/borough/city level.

I liken your argument to a friend who purchased a house in Springfield about 15 years ago. The lot backed to what appeared to be parkland and was very private and quiet. Five years later the state and county decided to build a long-planned roadway behind his house. He and his neighbors went to the BoS and were told to check the zoning maps which clearly showed the road to be there for a long time with plans to build it when funds and need developed. Had he done his due diligence he would have known about this and been able to make a decision to purchase the house or look elsewhere.

The same holds true for the school system and boundaries. Anyone who purchased a home based solely on the HS pyramid assuming that it would be a future guarantee did not, in my opinion, do all of their homework.

Posted by: Casual Observer ()
Date: January 08, 2008 10:36AM

Yes, Cheeky, you are so right. People buy into an entire school system when they choose Fairfax County. If they want a sole high-school system they should move to Falls Church or Alexandria. I am so sick of the whining and complaining and rending of garmets. If they would just shut up and put their energy into whichever school they end up in they would be doing well.

Posted by: NOT GOING SLHS ()
Date: January 08, 2008 11:06AM

I am so happy to read at this thread, It gives me a light to how to deal with this school change. It's not end of the world. I though was.

I will buy a smaller house in Oakton HS area, I will live there, only during the school year, not summer time, let's say MON/TU/WED/TH night with my child and I will be back in my comfortable SFH Friday night until Monday morning. Since I am the owner of the small house, I pay utility, phone bill and property tax, etc, I have enough to show I live there, there is nothing illegal here, right?

My primary resident doesn't need be the bigger one, right? I get to choose where to be consider as my primary. No problem get my mail there. I will go there every week. That should be OK right? Any problem with this situation?

Please let me know how we can deal with this in legal way. They can send somebody come and check my child's room, they can't put a camera there and record how many nights we sleep there, right?

Thanks a lot for any comments on this.

Date: January 08, 2008 11:08AM

I did not buy into the FCPS. I bought my house with careful attention to -- among other things -- the public schools my children would attend. The "System" is now proposing to change "my" high school and I don't want the change. So my family will adjust to this change by moving or possibly attending a private high school. It's not necessary to move to New Jersey, just to a house or apartment assigned to Oakton High School.

Date: January 08, 2008 11:21AM

Casual Observer Wrote:
> Yes, Cheeky, you are so right. People buy into an
> entire school system when they choose Fairfax
> County. If they want a sole high-school system
> they should move to Falls Church or Alexandria. I
> am so sick of the whining and complaining and
> rending of garmets. If they would just shut up
> and put their energy into whichever school they
> end up in they would be doing well.

Hey please have a little respect for those who aren't happy with the redistricting..buying a home is a huge investment. These constant redistrictings including this ridiculous boundary study--even some of the supporters of RD admitted the boundary study was not carried out really good only remind citizens that Fairfax County has the right to redistrict as much as they please without a whim of thought of wisely spending taxpayers funds on these much alone their own citizens who worked hard to buy homes with the freedom of choice of communities, schools, etc. This thread was supposed to be for those who wanted to talk about moving to schools of their choices not to have people pipe in and say "hey stop whining!". Stop whining then and leave us alone! Thanks.

Posted by: How ()
Date: January 08, 2008 11:54AM

Baffled Wrote:
> This thread
> was supposed to be for those who wanted to talk
> about moving to schools of their choices not to
> have people pipe in and say "hey stop whining!".
> Stop whining then and leave us alone! Thanks.

I second that. This thread is not about right or wrong. It's about how.

Posted by: Not So ()
Date: January 08, 2008 12:13PM

How Wrote:
> I second that. This thread is not about right or
> wrong. It's about how.

“Any preoccupation with ideas of what is right or wrong in conduct shows an arrested intellectual development.” -- Oscar Wilde

Of course, you are concerned about the success of your children's school, not their moral fabric, so I suppose a more approriate quote that you would embrace is:

“Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong.” -- Adolph Hitler

Just curious here, if you cheat your way INTO school is that any better or worse than cheating your way THROUGH school?

Posted by: Another Fox Mill Dad ()
Date: January 08, 2008 12:22PM

CheekyMonkey Wrote:

> I liken your argument to a friend who purchased a
> house in Springfield about 15 years ago. The lot
> backed to what appeared to be parkland and was
> very private and quiet. Five years later the
> state and county decided to build a long-planned
> roadway behind his house. He and his neighbors
> went to the BoS and were told to check the zoning
> maps which clearly showed the road to be there for
> a long time with plans to build it when funds and
> need developed. Had he done his due diligence he
> would have known about this and been able to make
> a decision to purchase the house or look
> elsewhere.
>
> The same holds true for the school system and
> boundaries. Anyone who purchased a home based
> solely on the HS pyramid assuming that it would be
> a future guarantee did not, in my opinion, do all
> of their homework.

It's funny you should mention this Cheeky as the McLaren Rd. extension through Fox Mill Estates is another community battle. Yes it is on the master plan and certainly anyone buying a home backing up to it should have been aware but it still doesn't make developing it a good idea. It wouldn't improve traffic flow one bit (next to Fox Mill ES) and would ruin the neighborhood by spliting it.

I can understand our community's aggravation w/the boundary study because we seem to be constantly under siege for one thing or another. The McLearen extension (on hold pending funding & environmnt impact study), a hairbrained scheme by Cathy Hudgins to put low income housing at the corner of Lawyers Rd. & Reston Pkwy (dead & buried I hope) and now the boundary study. I personally view the boundary study as botched, both by the sb and opponents, but the least of our battles. My kids are in ES now but I might feel differently if they were in HS or close to it. About the most sensible advice I've seen on this thread regarding getting out of SL would be to pupil-place for AP curriculum, the others seem too extreme to be practical. What are they going to say, Oakton's too full?

Good luck to all FxCo HS students next fall.

PS- Did everyone notice how I chopped down Checky's quote to focus on the part I wanted to discuss. It's really easy, just use the delete key. Give it a try.

Posted by: Here Here ()
Date: January 08, 2008 12:26PM

Not So Wrote:
> Just curious here, if you cheat your way INTO
> school is that any better or worse than cheating
> your way THROUGH school?

I second this notion. With all the talk on this board of the Litsa Mattfeld's of the world sending poor messages to our children, one would think you people would and should know better. As parents, you are the final authority on what is right and wrong. What kind of message do you send your children when you lie and cheat your way into a school you were left out of. You know what? You are all no better than illegal immigrants - sneaking your way into places you are not supposed to be!

Date: January 08, 2008 12:27PM

Not So Wrote:
> How Wrote:
> -----
> > I second that. This thread is not about right
> or
> > wrong. It's about how.
>
>
> “Any preoccupation with ideas of what is right or
> wrong in conduct shows an arrested intellectual
> development.” -- Oscar Wilde
>
> Of course, you are concerned about the success of
> your children's school, not their moral fabric, so
> I suppose a more approriate quote that you would
> embrace is:
>
> “Success is the sole earthly judge of right and
> wrong.” -- Adolph Hitler
>
> Just curious here, if you cheat your way INTO
> school is that any better or worse than cheating
> your way THROUGH school?

If you want to discuss whether people should or should not attend the assigned schools, let's open another thread. Leave this thread as is.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: January 08, 2008 12:30PM

Another Fox Mill Dad Wrote:
> CheekyMonkey Wrote:
> -----
> > OurKidsGoWhereWeWant Wrote:
> >

>
> PS- Did everyone notice how I chopped down
> Checky's quote to focus on the part I wanted to
> discuss. It's really easy, just use the delete
> key. Give it a try.

yea, some of us noticed... congrats! you win the gold star for the day. although you left in completely useless "quoted" lines... so i guess it will only be a silver star... we will keep the gold star for someone else. sorry!

Date: January 08, 2008 12:30PM

How Wrote:
> If you want to discuss whether people should or
> should not attend the assigned schools, let's open
> another thread. Leave this thread as is.

Who died and made you threadmaster? I believe a discussion about right and wrong is very pertinent to this thread. It might make people think twice about cheating the system and sending poor examples to their children. Are more concerned about your children scoring a few points lower on their SATs or growing up morally and ethically bankrupt?

Date: January 08, 2008 12:39PM

Not So Wrote:
> How Wrote:
> -----
> > If you want to discuss whether people should or
> > should not attend the assigned schools, let's
> open
> > another thread. Leave this thread as is.
>
> Who died and made you threadmaster? I believe a
> discussion about right and wrong is very pertinent
> to this thread. It might make people think twice
> about cheating the system and sending poor
> examples to their children. Are more concerned
> about your children scoring a few points lower on
> their SATs or growing up morally and ethically
> bankrupt?

I opened a new thread. If you want, we can move our discussions there.

Date: January 08, 2008 12:42PM

How Wrote:
> I opened a new thread. If you want, we can move
> our discussions there.

No, I believe it should stay here. Right and wrong are always factors in decisions where deceipt and honesty are involved. Teaching your children to ignore right and wrong is as detrimental, if not more so, than going to a subpar high school.

Posted by: Another Fox Mill Dad ()
Date: January 08, 2008 01:16PM

Damn, I thought the last paragraph I quoted from Cheeky was relavent to the topic discussed but apparently Professor SRE didn't think so. I guess I'll have to settle for the silver star, it's kinda like going to SL instead of Oakton.

Date: January 08, 2008 01:22PM

The FC School Board and the white South Lakes High School parents tell me I HAVE to stay in my current house and I HAVE to send my children to South Lakes. They tell me I HAVE to. White South Lakes High School parents on this thread tell me that I am like Hitler if my children do not go to South Lakes. I can't buy another house and move. I can't pupil-place my children because these requests will be turned down by the South Lakes principal.

Don't tell me what I can and can't do.

Date: January 08, 2008 01:29PM

Getting back to the purpose of this thread:

1. Does anyone know whether pupil-placements are taken on a first-come, first-served basis?

2. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a reply?

If so, I need to have mine ready to drop off at SLHS immediately after the boundary change is finalized.

Posted by: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ()
Date: January 08, 2008 01:55PM

> Getting back to the purpose of this thread:
>
> 1. Does anyone know whether pupil-placements are
> taken on a first-come, first-served basis?
>
> 2. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive
> a reply?
>
> If so, I need to have mine ready to drop off at
> SLHS immediately after the boundary change is
> finalized.

FYI, FCPS Regulation 2230 governs pupil placement (intra-agency transfers). You can find an FAQ at:

http://www.fcps.edu/ss/student-transfer/infofiles/StudentTransferFAQ.pdf

My guess is that under "normal" circumstances these requests are reviewed as they come in, but given that everyone has tipped their hand I would expect that the requests will be collected and reviewed for a pattern before any decisions are made. If a school sees 5-10 pupil placement requests annually, but that spikes to 50 you know that something is going on.

Posted by: newsie ()
Date: January 08, 2008 02:05PM

Baffled Wrote:
> fox mill mom Wrote:
> -----
> > I heard that South Lakes will offer some AP
> > classes online (I believe they already have
> this
> > in the works) to try to cut off that avenue for
> > those of us who would have used it to pupil
> place
> > out. I hope that this is just an awful rumor;
> if
> > not, they might as well have left South Lakes
> the
> > way it was with no windows and no doors because
> it
> > will truly be a prison - no way out.
> >
> > I just recieved a nasty email from a school
> board
> > member in response to my email expressing my
> anger
> > at how the redistricting has taken place. She
> said
> > I was "harsh" and thought that people at South
> > Lakes would be offended that I called their
> school
> > substandard. She has no clue how people feel
> out
> > here! It IS substandard because it does not
> offer
> > programs that are "standard" at other schools.
> So
> > now this sb member is in charge of my opinion?
> > I'm supposed to stop talking because other
> people
> > might be offended? TOO BAD!! I'm offended!
> This
> > is a new member who has to be incredibly naive
> to
> > think that we would sit down and shut up.
>
>
> You have got to be kidding. This is in no way a
> professional manner for a SB member to
> demonstrate. Sounds like she is in favortism of
> certain schools? I wonder how credible these SB
> members are?

Send the note to the media. Herndon Observer.

Date: January 08, 2008 02:13PM

> Getting back to the purpose of this thread:
>
> 1. Does anyone know whether pupil-placements are
> taken on a first-come, first-served basis?
>
> 2. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive
> a reply?
>
> If so, I need to have mine ready to drop off at
> SLHS immediately after the boundary change is
> finalized.

The boundary study has not been finalized yet, but it is a good idea to have the pupil placement form ready for submission. You might want to talk to your desired school office to see if they should have a copy of the pupil placement form that you would be submitting to SLHS. I am not sure if the base school receives the pupil placements first come first served. Unfortunately, with the SL at the helm of this ridiculous boundary study like with them having intimate meetings with the SB, they could be doing something about the pupil placement forms. By the way, the Dec 19th meeting notes have been posted in FCPS for the latest scenario.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.