HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ways to Stay at Oakton HS and Chantilly HS
Posted by: OurKidsGoWhereWeWant ()
Date: January 04, 2008 11:53AM

Okay People,

The re-districting plan is "fait accompli". I have zero intention of honoring the new boundaries and will send my children to the high school of my choice. Can we share information about the following:

1. How exactly do I pupil-place my children at Oakton or Chantilly HS?

2. Has anyone looked into renting an apartment or room in order to place into a particular high school?

3. Is that even necessary? What proof or residency do you need?

Do any of you wise posters out there have creative (or non-creative) ideas or proven ways to get our kids placed at Oakton or Chantilly? Any info on private school options/prices/availability?

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ways to Stay at Oakton HS and Chantilly HS
Date: January 04, 2008 12:01PM

Some background information:

I currently have 10th, 8th and 6th graders and reside in the Navy area being re-districted. I was thinking that I would first try to pupil-place the 8th grader based on family hardship of having the 8th-grader at Oakton next year given the commute and lack of late buses. Thought I'd start with the truth. Does anyone think this will work or not?

Much appreciated.

Date: January 04, 2008 12:04PM

Also, I sent my kids to the Flint Hill School in Oakton for several years before moving them to FCPS. So if any of you out there have any questions -- ask away.

Posted by: good idea ()
Date: January 04, 2008 12:13PM

I know of a family that pupil placed at OHS by saying their son wanted to take sign language. He left Chantilly partway through sophomore year and it seemed easy.

Posted by: FME ()
Date: January 04, 2008 12:18PM

Oakton will have mucho excess capacity next year so they will take anyone they can get. That is the strategy our neighborhood is going to use. just get around the move by doing anything not to go. I have to pick my kid up every day or they get a ride anyway so its just the morning bus and i cant pick up from two schools anyway. how ridiculous

Date: January 04, 2008 12:34PM

Thanks so much for the replies. That is exactly my problem. I can't possibly pick my kid up from OHS every day after school. My sophomore will drive next year and can bring her sibling home from Chantilly. I have been counting on this because it's hard to work and pick up from school every day at 6pm. And there is no way I can afford the wasted time of driving an hour to pick up at OHS every day at the height of rush hour, not to mention the gas.

Posted by: Why ()
Date: January 04, 2008 12:37PM

Why would anybody want to stay at Oakton or Chantilly High School? They are both terrible schools.

Date: January 04, 2008 12:44PM

Ummmm...to get away from dipshits like you and your kids?

Posted by: Private is better ()
Date: January 04, 2008 12:49PM

Why Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would anybody want to stay at Oakton or
> Chantilly High School? They are both terrible
> schools.

Aside from TJ, the same could be said about every public school in FFX. True, they rank well nationally, but a pile of cow pies smell rosy when placed next to a pile of raw sewage.

Date: January 04, 2008 01:04PM

I already tried the Flint Hill School and had to move kiddies into FCPS because they were bored. What private schools are good?

And I totally agree with you that TJ is a great school. Are there any privates on par with TJ?

Posted by: navy parent ()
Date: January 04, 2008 01:17PM

Can't you just call your high school and ask the subschool administrator for instructions on what to fill out? Do you know if it's a form or do you send a letter?

Posted by: fox mill dad ()
Date: January 04, 2008 01:24PM

If you pupil place they will try to place you into the NEAREST HS to your home, so if you aren't near Oakton, be sure to use some other reason that your nearest HS may not have. I have also heard that the school board will try to halt pupil placements out of SLHS (since everyone is going to try to do it, except Erika Castro) by offering it online so have something else as a back-up just in case.

There are parents already making carpools to Oakton from Fox Mill, so you should be able to take part in one of those.

Date: January 04, 2008 01:47PM

Thank you very much for the reply. My kids are being re-districted from Chantilly to Oakton and I would like to keep them at Chantilly. Chantilly is 2 miles from my house and Oakton is 10 miles, so a pupil-placement should work. Chantilly is by far the closest high school to my house and although I think Oakton is a great school, it's just too far considering I can walk to CHS.

Someone in my neighborhood said that all I have to do is write a letter stating that I want my 8th-grader to attend Chantilly Academy courses, such as robotics, girls in engineering, or even costmotology or animal care. Think that sounds like a plan?

Posted by: AJ ()
Date: January 04, 2008 01:54PM

So what is the problem. All you have to do is bitch enough and Fairfax will give you your way.
I knew of a kid whose parents complained that the other kids were always picking on him on the bus. The county gave them vouchers so he could take a cab to school. All it takes is a few letters and some serious complaining.
What is a few million more from taxpayers to make sure everyone gets their way.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: January 04, 2008 01:54PM

No- the kids in vocational are bussed in from schools (Oakton, Woodson, etc) so that wont work.

Date: January 04, 2008 01:55PM

Hey Fox Mill Dad,

Are there any other "unique" programs at Oakton besides ASL and AP that we can use for pupil-placement? It sounds like the Chantilly parents have a variety of academy classes to cite in their requests. Anything else you can think of? Transportation issues can be solved once we get pupil-placed.

Date: January 04, 2008 02:01PM

Do I have to get permission from BOTH the principal at Oakton AND Chantilly in order to pupil-place from OHS to CHS? I didn't figure on that. I would never have guessed that you would have to get "release papers".

P.S., Will the SB order Butler and Kacur to refuse to give "release papers" to Fox Mill/Floris/Navy parents? In that case, it's on to plan B...

Posted by: working parent ()
Date: January 04, 2008 02:18PM

Thanks AJ!

I thought this forum would be a waste of time but it's a mother lode of ideas. I had no idea that I could get extras like cabfare from the school system. I just wanted to keep my kids all at the same high school (which is also 16 miles per day closer than the one the SB will pay to ship my kids to) But cabfare?!! I'm thinking my kids being picked on as I type this message. I would have never thought to bitch to the school board, but now that they have forced me to start I may just see what kinds of perks I can get.

Posted by: Angry Viking ()
Date: January 04, 2008 02:35PM

I have an 8th grader at Carson so my question is how do I apply for high school. Specifically, how does any high school know where you live? Do you send in a form, or does the middle school do it for you?

So, if I decide that i have to rent an apt or a room in the Oakton district in order to qualify to go to Oakton, how do I have to prove that I "live" there? Bills can be easily faked with a good printer and software. Could it be as easy as faking a utility bill or rental agreement? Do they check up on such things?

If the SB plans to stop any transfers out of SLHS, I plan to rent a room in a house in the Oakton district but how do I prove that to the good admin folks at Oakton? Little help here please.

Posted by: DidALlOfYouGotoPS ()
Date: January 04, 2008 02:43PM

You people act like this is a big deal, are you afraid to just call the school and ask them. So worried about getting caught in a lie you come on to this board to get advice from other stupid parents.

Plain and simple fact. Your kid can go to any school they want. This has been a fact for a very long time. Now, transportation is on you, and some countries require $$ as well. Probably not FCPS but I know down in Montgomery County students that didn't want to attend Riner High School would attend Christiansburg High School, and that is quite a ways.

Posted by: PaulVI ()
Date: January 04, 2008 02:44PM

Graduated from PVI after moving from public schools. Would say that Paul the sixth is a great school, teachers are very good and care about the students. Curriculum is difficult but not impossible, and it is in the center of fairfax, a good location. I agree I wouldn't want to ruin the potential my children have developed at elementary school and middle school by sending them to south lakes.

Date: January 04, 2008 02:50PM

So grateful to be told how the world works by someone from Moco.

BTW, MOCO in espanol means booger - dry and hard variety or nice and slimey. You seem like the latter.

Date: January 04, 2008 02:56PM

Thanks PaulVI,

I know two families at PVI and they are the kind of kids you dream your child goes to school with, so I can vouch that there is real quality there. Can you get in if you are not Catholic? I also know several St. Timothy's families and they say it's difficult even if you are a member of the RC church.

Posted by: Baffled ()
Date: January 04, 2008 03:05PM

Angry Viking Wrote:
> I have an 8th grader at Carson so my question is
> how do I apply for high school. Specifically, how
> does any high school know where you live? Do you
> send in a form, or does the middle school do it
> for you?
>
> So, if I decide that i have to rent an apt or a
> room in the Oakton district in order to qualify to
> go to Oakton, how do I have to prove that I "live"
> there? Bills can be easily faked with a good
> printer and software. Could it be as easy as
> faking a utility bill or rental agreement? Do
> they check up on such things?
>
> If the SB plans to stop any transfers out of SLHS,
> I plan to rent a room in a house in the Oakton
> district but how do I prove that to the good admin
> folks at Oakton? Little help here please.

If the SB plans to stop any pupil placing out of SLHS, then can we sue? I have a rising 9th grader who is very upset about the redistricting. I may have to break my lease and move. I am only doing this because of no AP programs available at SL. Is it really true the SB and SLHS will actually clamp any pupil placing out of SLHS? If they really are doing that, then what kind of people are they?

Date: January 04, 2008 03:15PM

I've heard the same thing about blocking pupil placements out of SLHS. Any lawyers out there that know something about this? Is there anyone reading this that has any experience with pupil placing? Thanks

Date: January 04, 2008 03:30PM

FME Wrote:
> I've heard the same thing about blocking pupil
> placements out of SLHS. Any lawyers out there
> that know something about this? Is there anyone
> reading this that has any experience with pupil
> placing? Thanks

You might want to check this out with the founder of the website, stoprd.org. He is a lawyer.

Posted by: shammy ()
Date: January 04, 2008 03:41PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant Wrote:
> Do I have to get permission from BOTH the
> principal at Oakton AND Chantilly in order to
> pupil-place from OHS to CHS? I didn't figure on
> that. I would never have guessed that you would
> have to get "release papers".
>
> P.S., Will the SB order Butler and Kacur to refuse
> to give "release papers" to Fox Mill/Floris/Navy
> parents? In that case, it's on to plan B...

This would likely be discrimination against FM/F/N. Butler and Kacur sign pupil placements out of their schools today. Are they going to continue to approve those yet deny others? Pupil placements are difficult today. Try to find folks who have been successful and talk to them in person to get their ideas and experiences. There are extremes that you have to go to and through. Unfortunately, we will all have to immerge into those extremes.

Posted by: outtathere ()
Date: January 04, 2008 03:43PM

The best thing to do is to go to each school and get a course selection guide, including electives and clubs. Find the ones that are offered at OHS, CHS, or WHS but not at SL. Come up with some reason why your kid needs to be enrolled in those particular classes or belong to one of those clubs. Pay attention to the courses/electives the good football players or basketball players are taking. They've probably been advised ahead of this.

The SB gave you the perfect out by not having AP at SL. Take it.

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: January 04, 2008 04:30PM

Pupil placement should not be too difficult. When I was a teacher, I had tons of kids who had been pupil placed. One main reason was social reasons. Parents said kid was bullied or had students who bothered them. Another reason was child care placement. They said the babysitter lived in school district X and kid had to stay there. (I taught middle school) Another way to get a pupil placement is to say one school has a class that your's doesn't. Something weird like basket weaving or somethin.

The best way is to move or to say you moved. You will need a lease or a rent thing. Remember Kara Lawson, that great basketball player from West Springfield. Her home school was West Potomac or Mount Vernon and her parents thought WSHS would be a better place for her to play ball. They applied for pupil placement but were denied by the area office. So her dad rented an apartment in West Springfild area andthey lived there a few days a week. They reapplied for pupil placement and got it. Several people have given a relative's name in the area as their address stating that kid is living with grandma.

Also are you aware that any FCPS employee can pupil place their kid for just about any reason. You could get a janitor's job or a teaching job in any FC school and pupil place your kid anywhere.
Finally, I taught at Hayfield before South County was built. Kids would be pupil placed at West Springfield on a regular basis. So much the long bus rides they all were complaining about.

In your case with so manym parents wanting to staym at schools other than South Lakes, they may crack down big time on pupilm placement. You could have your kid sell drugs or something. Instead of expelling kids, they just move them around.

Good luck.

Date: January 04, 2008 05:15PM

Trickie, I love it. I could have my girls sell drugs or hit someone. They will get the "FCPS shuffle". Keep doing it until they get transfered to Chantilly. Too funny. And I would be a great janitor.

I can tell you that paying rent on an apartment would be cheaper than some private school tuitions. So that can be a fallback option for everyone. It is an expensive extreme, but it will be effective.

Date: January 04, 2008 05:17PM

I just remembered that OHS has a crew team. That could be a club to join asap.

Date: January 04, 2008 05:19PM

Plus you could sublet the apartment to am trustworthy GMU student or someone. Or use it for your "art studio" and ask for a deduction from the IRS. Good luck.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: January 04, 2008 05:39PM

outtathere Wrote:
> The best thing to do is to go to each school and
> get a course selection guide, including electives
> and clubs. Find the ones that are offered at OHS,
> CHS, or WHS but not at SL. Come up with some
> reason why your kid needs to be enrolled in those
> particular classes or belong to one of those
> clubs. Pay attention to the courses/electives the
> good football players or basketball players are
> taking. They've probably been advised ahead of
> this.
>
> The SB gave you the perfect out by not having AP
> at SL. Take it.

The school board list had stuff like curriculum [separate from IB or AP], adjustment, etc. Get it off their website. A few years ago I heard that Dale Rumberger [when at Westfield] gave a job to a parent of a future division 1 football player. Heard about it from more than 1 independent source while standing around at football practices and games in the youth league. One place I heard it was while waiyting around at Poplar Tree at a Chnatilly game. People were surprised by this and a bit disconcerted.

Posted by: pilethemin ()
Date: January 04, 2008 05:57PM

> Trickie, I love it. I could have my girls sell
> drugs or hit someone. They will get the "FCPS
> shuffle". Keep doing it until they get transfered
> to Chantilly. Too funny. And I would be a great
> janitor.
>
> I can tell you that paying rent on an apartment
> would be cheaper than some private school
> tuitions. So that can be a fallback option for
> everyone. It is an expensive extreme, but it will
> be effective.

rent gets cheaper when "more people" live their--buddy up with a car pooler apartment share

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: January 04, 2008 06:01PM

> Thanks PaulVI,
>
> I know two families at PVI and they are the kind
> of kids you dream your child goes to school with,
> so I can vouch that there is real quality there.
> Can you get in if you are not Catholic? I also
> know several St. Timothy's families and they say
> it's difficult even if you are a member of the RC
> church.

I am not sure that you need to be Catholic to attend PVI (Biship Ireton or O'Connell), but they do teach Catholic theology and there may be a some other requirements.

I would, however, be careful about generalizing about how "good" the students are at PVI since it is often the school where problem kids from FCPS end up when their parents don't want to pay the cost of a Flint Hill or Congressional. While the majority are hard-working kids, I think that the percentage of druggies and derelicts is much higher than you would find in most FCPS high schools and the administration is not quite as equipped to deal with this proactively.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: January 04, 2008 06:17PM

> I already tried the Flint Hill School and had to
> move kiddies into FCPS because they were bored.
> What private schools are good?
>
> And I totally agree with you that TJ is a great
> school. Are there any privates on par with TJ

TJ is a math/science magnet school and I don't think that there are any private schools which specialize in that way. There is no shortage of excellent private schools in Northern Virgina, but since you seemingly have never heard of Google here are a few that you can look into:

* Congressional
* Episcopal
* St. Stephen's and St. Agnes
* Madeira School (girls only)
* Potomac School

Looking a bit further into Maryland and DC offers a number of schools including:

* Georgetown Day
* Georegetown Visitation
* National Cathedral School
* Holton Arms
* The Landon School
* Sidwell Friends
* Maret School
* St. Albans

These schools generally have very liberal acceptance policies and should have plenty of available seats since there is not a lot competition in the admissions process.

Good luck!

Posted by: Lloyd Dobler ()
Date: January 04, 2008 06:21PM

> I just remembered that OHS has a crew team. That
> could be a club to join asap.

I highly doubt that crew is going to keep you at OHS unless your child is ready for the US Rowing national team. There are only a couple of crew teams of note within FCPS with TJ being the most prominent. Crew at OHS is probably on par with DECA and Key Club.

Posted by: experienced parent ()
Date: January 04, 2008 06:49PM

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle (IP Logged)
Date: January 04, 2008 06:01PM

> Thanks PaulVI,
>
> church.

I am not sure that you need to be Catholic to attend PVI (Biship Ireton or O'Connell), but they do teach Catholic theology and there may be a some other requirements.

I would, however, be careful about generalizing about how "good" the students are at PVI since it is often the school where problem kids from FCPS end up when their parents don't want to pay the cost of a Flint Hill or Congressional. While the majority are hard-working kids, I think that the percentage of druggies and derelicts is much higher than you would find in most FCPS high schools and the administration is not quite as equipped to deal with this proactively.

AlwaysAnEagle is way off base. These schools aren’t for FCPS drop outs they are college prep schools. The strict moral expectations and dress code (they wear blazers and ties) is too much for public school rejects. They are catholic based and promote faith based principals but you don't have to be catholic, just respectful. Check out their web sites they are dream schools.

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: January 04, 2008 07:35PM

experienced parent Wrote:
> AlwaysAnEagle is way off base. These schools
> aren’t for FCPS drop outs they are college prep
> schools. The strict moral expectations and dress
> code (they wear blazers and ties) is too much for
> public school rejects. They are catholic based and
> promote faith based principals but you don't have
> to be catholic, just respectful. Check out their
> web sites they are dream schools.

I never said that they are FCPS drop outs, but rather kids who have been expelled from FCPS for disciplinary reasons, typically drugs. Clearly not the majority of PVI students, but I can come up with 5-10 names without trying too hard. Don't get me wrong...I am a big supporter of Catholic education, attended a Jesuit high school and university and believe that these (PVI et al) are generally good schools. You are deluding yourself, however, if you believe that a dress code translates automatically to anything other than typical teenage behavior. Check out the Facebook pages of PVI students and you will see the same level of partying and drinking that you see at Robinson, Lake Braddock, Fairfax, or Westfield.

Personally, my rank order preference for Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Arlington would be O'Connell, BI and then PVI.

Date: January 04, 2008 07:41PM

Well, something tells me that PVI will have a lot of applications this winter. Flint Hill is 25 grand/year and I am pretty sure both Madeira and NCS and all the DC schools that are non-Catholic are that ore more. If you can afford that you can afford buy your kid a business after high school and skip college.

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: January 04, 2008 08:00PM

Tricki touched on this....and yes, FCPS employees can easily pupil place. If you decide to apply for employment, let me recommend bus driving! It's better than janitorial, because we transport and look out for each other's children, which are code named "packages" in the business. We take very, very good care of one another's kids!

The hours are good and the pay is okay (starts at $16.57 an hour). Same benefits package as the teachers too! The only problem is, you have to have an excellent driving record and pass random drug tests. These requirements would probably disqualify most of you folks....and using a cell phone while driving a FCPS bus is grounds for termination, which would probably eliminate the rest of you! j/k

If you decide to try the alternative placement approach....BE CAREFUL! If your child commits too serious of an infraction, or one that involves a weapon, they will be sent to FCPS's version of the "the rock"....Mountain View or Burke Summit. Their classmates will be mostly gangbangers and pregnant kids.
There are no sports, no clubs, no activities, no nothing...however transportation is provided. (One of them pulled a gun on me on the bus one day!)

Date: January 04, 2008 08:08PM

bus driver Wrote:
> Tricki touched on this....and yes, FCPS employees
> can easily pupil place. If you decide to apply
> for employment, let me recommend bus driving!
> It's better than janitorial, because we transport
> and look out for each other's children, which are
> code named "packages" in the business. We take
> very, very good care of one another's kids!
>
> The hours are good and the pay is okay (starts at
> $16.57 an hour). Same benefits package as the
> teachers too! The only problem is, you have to
> have an excellent driving record and pass random
> drug tests. These requirements would probably
> disqualify most of you folks....and using a cell
> phone while driving a FCPS bus is grounds for
> termination, which would probably eliminate the
> rest of you! j/k
>
> If you decide to try the alternative placement
> approach....BE CAREFUL! If your child commits too
> serious of an infraction, or one that involves a
> weapon, they will be sent to FCPS's version of the
> "the rock"....Mountain View or Burke Summit.
> Their classmates will be mostly gangbangers and
> pregnant kids.
> There are no sports, no clubs, no activities, no
> nothing...however transportation is provided.
> (One of them pulled a gun on me on the bus one
> day!)

That must be scary! I certainly hope there will be fair guidelines with pupil placing if the redistricting is approved. My rising 9th grader asked me a question tonight if redistricting is constitutional? Is it? She felt that redistricting has infringed on our rights to where we want to live, the kind of schools, etc. Any comments on that? Thanks.

Date: January 04, 2008 08:11PM

Holy crap bus driver! You should get hazardous pay for sure. I can't believe you had a gun pulled on you. And I do believe that it was said in jest to compel children to commit crimes in order to be shuffled to a different high school. At least I was assuming that it was.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 04, 2008 08:16PM

look, it's really easy to get your kid to switch school, just have him get expelled. when that happens, nobody can send him back to SL HS.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: January 04, 2008 08:23PM

If you desire AP curriculum or unique class, can provide your own transportation, and Oakton has excess capacity then it might be considered unconstitutional if SLHS turns down your pupil placement request (if SLHS can indeed nix the transfer out of their school). It could be an angle because it could be argued that an individual was denied the curriculum of their choice.

Date: January 04, 2008 08:26PM

FME Wrote:
> Holy crap bus driver! You should get hazardous
> pay for sure. I can't believe you had a gun pulled
> on you. And I do believe that it was said in jest
> to compel children to commit crimes in order to be
> shuffled to a different high school. At least I
> was assuming that it was.

It sure was scary! At least that got finally got the kid expelled from FCPS forever.

I misspoke I said "alternative placement"...I think the term is administrative placement (the other AP? lol). I had a friend whose son was A/Ped from Robinson to Fairfax High for smoking pot on campus. Keep in mind that if your child administratively placed...he or she is BANNED from their previous school's campus...24/7 That means no football games, no trespassing, period.

Date: January 04, 2008 08:46PM

Good to know Bus Driver. Sounds like it's not worth it because the consequences outweigh the benefits. Can you tell me what type of hours you have? Thank you.

Posted by: Ombudsman ()
Date: January 04, 2008 10:26PM

> Well, something tells me that PVI will have a lot
> of applications this winter. Flint Hill is 25
> grand/year and I am pretty sure both Madeira and
> NCS and all the DC schools that are non-Catholic
> are that ore more. If you can afford that you can
> afford buy your kid a business after high school
> and skip college.

OK, so that means you folks can only buy one BMW this year. Isn't that sacrifice worth it if you can if it means that YOU choose where your kids go to school?

Posted by: Paulvi ()
Date: January 04, 2008 10:36PM

> Thanks PaulVI,
>
> church.

Yes there were a number of kids there who were not Catholic, they give preference to Catholics though. As to how hard it is to get in I was a member of a local parish for a number of years before applying, but I don't know how to compare the admission difficulty to a place like flint hill or another private schoool

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 04, 2008 10:42PM

bus driver Wrote:
> FME Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Holy crap bus driver! You should get hazardous
> > pay for sure. I can't believe you had a gun
> pulled
> > on you. And I do believe that it was said in
> jest
> > to compel children to commit crimes in order to
> be
> > shuffled to a different high school. At least
> I
> > was assuming that it was.
>
>
> It sure was scary! At least that got finally got
> the kid expelled from FCPS forever.
>
> I misspoke I said "alternative placement"...I
> think the term is administrative placement (the
> other AP? lol). I had a friend whose son was
> A/Ped from Robinson to Fairfax High for smoking
> pot on campus. Keep in mind that if your child
> administratively placed...he or she is BANNED from
> their previous school's campus...24/7 That means
> no football games, no trespassing, period.

Lol banned from Fairfax for smoking pot? Back when fairfax was built and kids could smoke, they would go out in the courtyard and smoke during lunch. Bet they still do now.

Oh and regarding those Mt View Kids: They are dangerourous. When Mt View was built in the 60s it was in the middle of no where so kids wouldnt escape and the only thing to do was look at the Blue ridge mountains, hence the name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2008 10:44PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: January 04, 2008 10:56PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:

>
> Oh and regarding those Mt View Kids: They are
> dangerourous. When Mt View was built in the 60s it
> was in the middle of no where so kids wouldnt
> escape and the only thing to do was look at the
> Blue ridge mountains, hence the name.

Wrong. Mt View is in a former elem. school, and originated in the mid 90's. Prior to that, all that was around were Bryant, Woodson Adult Ed and Pimmit Hills.

Date: January 05, 2008 03:47AM

Not all the Mountain View kids are dangerous felons. My best friend's husband teaches there after being at Chantilly for many years. He loves it there. Many of the kids are just social "malcontents". They have a hard time getting up in the morning or they don't get along with the regular populationn at a huge high school. Some are perhaps immigrants who are a little older than the usualm high school kid or they may be young parents who are working full or part time to support a family. The classes are small and personalized and they have mid year graduations.

I also had a very good friend who was a bus driver there and there were very few incidents like the poster who said he/she had a gun drawn on him. Heck, that could happen at any high school on a bus. (Not common but it does happen! And you won't hear about it either)
Basically those Mountain View kids may be different or a little troubled, but all the really want is that high school diploma and to get out so they can work, take care of a family member or go on to some type of training like computers. My friend's son was a total computer nerd who attended Mountain View and he basically acted as the computer internet technician for the faculty while he was there. He had been pupil placed by his former school and his parents. Now he is serving in the Army deciphering codes on enemy computers or something.

Bus driver is correct though. FCPS is always looking for drivers and they are great about supporting each other and helping each other's kids. I loved all the bus drivers from my former school. Oh and my friend whom is a bus driver told me that some of the girls who are at Mountain View are nymphos and that's why they go there! I would love to
see the pupil placement paper work on those cases!

About getting into Paul IV.You do not have to be Catholic to get in but the tuition will be much steeper. In about 10 to 15% of the admissions, my guess is that a family made a big contribution to a church or a program, or the kid is an athlete or they were druggies and miscreants from a public school. I know a coach who sends a small bus to the projects to pick up football players and basketball players to attend Paul IV (this is called recruiting) so if your kid is a male athlete, it would be easy to get in.

Trickie

Posted by: PVI AlumParent ()
Date: January 05, 2008 08:41AM

Speaking from experience, should anyone choose Paul VI, there is a Fairfax County (Connector?) Bus which stops very near the school. As of 4 years ago, that route included Franklin Farm as a drop off point. I imagine it made several other stops along the way which might prove helpful to you.

I recall researching this bus route as a back up plan when my children attended the school. Paul VI does offer bus service….about 600 a year??? ……. and many parents used the carpooling alternative.

The school is a fine one but has a hard time competing with the amount of resourses available at Fairfax County Schools. Nothing like our tax dollars!!

That said....my graduates are finishing up at two top Universities...so, PVI was a good choice for us.

Good luck!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 05, 2008 12:10PM

SE Wrote:
> KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Oh and regarding those Mt View Kids: They are
> > dangerourous. When Mt View was built in the 60s
> it
> > was in the middle of no where so kids wouldnt
> > escape and the only thing to do was look at the
> > Blue ridge mountains, hence the name.
>
>
> Wrong. Mt View is in a former elem. school, and
> originated in the mid 90's. Prior to that, all
> that was around were Bryant, Woodson Adult Ed and
> Pimmit Hills.

Yeah Mt View didnt become a AHS until 1996 i belive, but i thought it had been a high school before that? Couldnt be tho i guess b/c Centreville was built in 88. the Mt View building was built in the 60's. I wonder if it has a bomb shelter.

Date: January 05, 2008 02:36PM

Yes, Mountain View is the old Centreville Elementary before they built the new one down on 28.

Hey Tricki, Mountain View changed this year with the closing and demolition of Eleven Oaks School. In addition to the type students you mentioned, it now also houses the Alternative Learning Center that was at 11 Oaks. Those are the criminals...but they keep them separated from the general population.

Posted by: loosey ()
Date: January 05, 2008 05:28PM

Soon the SB will be re-districting our kids to Mountain View to improve their scores and class offerings!!

I had a friend whose daughter had a baby and got sent to Mountain View. It was okay for her but i kind of lost track of her. I don't think anyone pulled a gun on her or anything like that.

Posted by: Fox Mill Estates Parent ()
Date: January 05, 2008 07:10PM

I am glad someone made this thread as it seeks to solve our problems of school choice.

1. I know that my son and some fellow students carpool for football and I think it is a good idea for parents. My wife and I drove my son to and from football during his Freshman year and it was tough; however, when we joined a carpool in his Sophmore year things were a breeze. I think carpooling is a grand idea.

2. I did was check out the "safe and secure" profile of that school. Please visit:

http://www.fcps.edu/profiles/

From the "High Schools" drop down menue select "South Lakes High School." When you are at the school site, select the "Safe and Secure" tab.

Now after you look at those numbers think about how many children attend that high school. Then look at your own high school and check out that school's "Safe and Secure" tab.

You decide if you should do something about it --even paying for private school.

[I did not want to post the information about the "Safe and Secure" tab on the other thread because I knew it would just inflame some posters there.]

I am glad to see some of you are looking for solutions. I am interested.

Good Luck.

Date: January 05, 2008 07:15PM

Addendum: "I did was check out the "safe and secure" profile of that school." should read "What I did was check out the "safe and secure" profile of South Lakes High School." Sorry.

Date: January 05, 2008 07:55PM

The other thread was informative when we thought there was a way that we, as parents, could impact the outcome of the school redistricting. In hindsight, it was an unfortunate waste of time, along with attending any redistricting meetings, hiring lawyers, signing petitions, etc. It would have been wiser to explore other ways around the situation. This is a strategy that I have employed before and it's so much more productive and less stressful.

So far, there are two options that will work here:

1. Buy or lease a property/apt/room within the boundary of the desired public school and carpool or provide your own transportation; and

2. Apply to private schools.

Given that we could all apply to the local privates at the same time, this doesn't guarantee your child will get in.

So, producing a lease agreement for a property within the boundary DOES guarantee your child a seat in even the most overcrowded FCPS school. I'm thinking this is the ultimate plan, especially after pupil-placement fails or private schools are full.

I don't know about you guys, but I know people who would be happy to lease part of their house, and others who would share the cost of leasing an apt or room. There is no need for anyone to lose out on what they want for their children.

Date: January 05, 2008 08:36PM

I think your idea of moving to an apartment or house within the school district is a good idea --particulary if you have more than one child and you think you will be staying there for some time.

Infact, it has occured to me that one may weigh the cost of private school and rental payments and decide which is more cost effective.

I can even imagine some creative investment ideas where one could invest in a property within the desired school district with partners [family members] and make the rental payments to the investment partnership. If you are going to be there for a while, this might make good scense. You are the tenant and you are making the rental payments. You are not going to leave. And when you do, you can find another family who wants to send their children to the school district. I think you couldn't be the sole owner of the property because then the property really would be your primary residence. But if you knew folks who wanted to invest this might not be a bad idea. You could always rent out your house.

I can see a whole bunch of things that could be done. Of course you have to do your homework and find the most cost efficient means of achieving your objective.

Anyway that is one idea.

Posted by: AvoidSL ()
Date: January 05, 2008 08:48PM

If I buy a property in my desired school district and it is not my primary residency. Will there be any issues?

Date: January 05, 2008 08:50PM

The private school issue is a good one too. I know the military academy where my son went to summer school twice charges $26,500.00. That is a boarding school. But those boys have supervised study halls each night. They have to turn in their homework or they walk the "bull ring." They have manditory sports. And they are aimed at college. The graduating class is small and usually one student is accepted to one of the federal military acadamies.

However, it boils down to $2,208.33 a month. Renting in your desired school district may be cheaper. Or making an investment with family in a home in your desired school district with your payments going toward the rents maybe wiser still.

I agree that everyone rushing to the local private schools will cause a problem. The school I sent my son to is in southern Virginia. We did have to travel and my wife wasn't keen on seeing her little boy go away for such a long time. But it worked out. Of course this was just for the summer in our case.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:08PM

Avoid SL, thank you for your reply.

Avoid SL I "think" you have to be living there. But if you rented out what is currently your primary residence and moved to the investment property then I do not see a problem. You are paying rent. You are the tenant. If you have a share in the partnership or S Corp that holds the property I do not think there would be a problem. That becomes your primary residence.

Your "current" primary residence would have to be rented out I guess --unless you can afford to leave it vacant or let a family member live there. You would no longer be living in that place though you could still own it.

If one rents out their home they would be a land lord and have the responsiblity that goes along with that. But if you own your own house and have been fixing it then you kind of know allot about this business in the first place. The key would be to find someone to rent the house that currently own.

I could see how, if one has some interest in real estate, generally speaking, that this unfortunate event could be turned into a spring-board for growth.

I guess the question would be what do you want to do with your current home? Leave it vacant? [Some people can do this.] Rent it out --that means you will be a landlord. Sell it at a latter date? Or avoid the whole investment idea and stay there and send your children to private school.

I would try and figure out which way is most cost effective and then think about the responsiblity of that choice. I am probably going to be in the same boat if my son doesn't get grandfathered into Oakton.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:12PM

I should point out that the military academy I sent my son to in the summer didnot charge me $26,500 for the summer session. The $26,500 is a full academic year of tution and fees.

Again, sorry for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes.

Good Luck

Date: January 05, 2008 09:24PM

How would the administration know which is your primary residence? This is FCPS not the Gestapo. How would it be any different than if you rented or bought in any school district? All that must be produced is a signed lease or deed.

I know many couples that separate and one spouse will rent an apt or room and just as often the children go with. How would this be any different? I can't see any way the SB could reassign your child. Housing is taxed to pay for the local school. If a lease/deed is produced then the parents are paying taxes and they are entitled to a seat at the local school.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 05, 2008 09:27PM

A good website for comparing schools and behaviors:

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Date: January 05, 2008 09:32PM

Fox Mill Estates Parent Wrote:
> Avoid SL, thank you for your reply.
>
> Avoid SL I "think" you have to be living there.
> But if you rented out what is currently your
> primary residence and moved to the investment
> property then I do not see a problem. You are
> paying rent. You are the tenant. If you have a
> share in the partnership or S Corp that holds the
> property I do not think there would be a problem.
> That becomes your primary residence.
>
>
> Your "current" primary residence would have to be
> rented out I guess --unless you can afford to
> leave it vacant or let a family member live there.
> You would no longer be living in that place
> though you could still own it.
>
> If one rents out their home they would be a land
> lord and have the responsiblity that goes along
> with that. But if you own your own house and have
> been fixing it then you kind of know allot about
> this business in the first place. The key would
> be to find someone to rent the house that
> currently own.
>
> I could see how, if one has some interest in real
> estate, generally speaking, that this unfortunate
> event could be turned into a spring-board for
> growth.
>
> I guess the question would be what do you want to
> do with your current home? Leave it vacant?
> Rent it out --that means you will be a landlord.
> Sell it at a latter date? Or avoid the whole
> investment idea and stay there and send your
> children to private school.
>
> I would try and figure out which way is most cost
> effective and then think about the responsiblity
> of that choice. I am probably going to be in the
> same boat if my son doesn't get grandfathered into
> Oakton.

Fox Mill Estates Parent, thanks for the info.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:37PM

Schools have no way of knowing what your primary residence is, nor would the clerk in the school office care. If you can produce a deed, or rental agreement, as proof of residence, they won't argue with it. They can't. Rent an apartment and tell them that you and your son/daughter will be living there. Period. The mail from the school will go to that address, if that matters to you.

I don't see how South Lakes can prevent students from pupil placing out of the school since it is permitted at all other schools. It would be totally unfair to have different rules at ONE school. But I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:37PM

> How would the administration know which is your
> primary residence? This is FCPS not the Gestapo.
> How would it be any different than if you rented
> or bought in any school district? All that must
> be produced is a signed lease or deed.
>
> I know many couples that separate and one spouse
> will rent an apt or room and just as often the
> children go with. How would this be any
> different? I can't see any way the SB could
> reassign your child. Housing is taxed to pay for
> the local school. If a lease/deed is produced
> then the parents are paying taxes and they are
> entitled to a seat at the local school.

Thanks OurKidsGoWhereWeWant. I am going to "separate" from my wife when my child is in 8th grade.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:46PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant I agree that you could just as easily rent. Maybe that is best. I do not mean to be a downer, and I could be wrong, but I think one would have to actually live where they say their children are residing.

Certainly, it may be most cost effective to rent an apartment. Some may want to do that.

And I am not certain about this but I seem to recall reading, and it may be at another place where I owned a home, that the school district sent inspectors to see if the children at the school actually where living where they claimed they were.

I "think" you really want to be living there. But that is just what I "think." I do not know if FCPS sends out inspectors. That is something to look into I suppose.

AT the elementary level, parents can get a friend in their desired school district to say that they are providing child care for the child. The parent writes down the friend's name on the school form as child care provider and the child can attend that school. I knew one woman who was the child care provider for 5 students at Louise Archer. She never saw any of them. But on paper she was the child care provider.

So, I am wondering if a high school student's parent had a rental agreement from someone in the desired school district, wouldn't that be good enough? Could you get a friend to sign a deed saying that you are renting his basement or spare room? Why wouldn't that work? I don't see FCPS sending someone to peer into the basement of a home.

You catch on fast AvoidSL. All this stress over redistricting is ruining my marraige too.

The dealine for pupil placing is fast approaching and it would be great if anyone with experiences to share could do so in this forum. We will know very quickly if they are not accepting pupil placements into Oakton (or Chantilly).

Date: January 05, 2008 09:50PM

> You catch on fast AvoidSL. All this stress over
> redistricting is ruining my marraige too.
>
> The dealine for pupil placing is fast approaching
> and it would be great if anyone with experiences
> to share could do so in this forum. We will know
> very quickly if they are not accepting pupil
> placements into Oakton (or Chantilly).

The pupil placing has already started? When is the deadline? Who is "they" you are referring to, please? Thanks.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:51PM

Neen, I am glad you reminded me of the pupil placing option. I think it is a great idea, the only problem is how many people are going to try it?

Could you write again how someone goes about this? Do we have to start at the guidance department of the school we wish to place our child into for example?

Thanks

Date: January 05, 2008 09:57PM

FCPS doesn't have the money or resources to check where you live. No one has to actually move, or even pay any money. Just get a friend to sign a lease agreement and you can buy one of those to download from the internet for 10 bucks. Library probably has them too.

No one has ever checked with me or my wife to see if we really live in the Oakton district and I have a sophomore at Oakton. Why would they start checking now? Now that would be unconstitutional if they deny pupil placements from SL into Oakton (and just Oakton) and they harrass people to see if they really live in the Oakton district and not SLHS. I would sue the SB.

Date: January 05, 2008 09:59PM

>>>I think one would have to actually live where they say their children are residing.<<<<

I am 99.99% certain that we have no inspectors of housing to see where children live. How would they do that? Check each bedroom for evidence of children? There are rules about establishing housing, but they do not include inspection of anyone's home or bedroom.

From FCPS, establishing proof of residence:

http://www.fcps.edu/ss/StudentServices/StudentRegistration/registration-req08-09.pdf#xml=http://search.fcps.edu/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=residence+proof&pr=public&prox=sentence&rorder=750&rprox=750&rdfreq=500&rwfreq=500&rlead=500&sufs=1&order=r&cq=&id=477dcd341e

Date: January 05, 2008 10:04PM

Baffled,

I think the website said March for the deadline. But I really am not sure at all as I am very new to all of this. And as for the "they", I also do not know for sure. Does anyone out there know if you need approval from one principal, both principals, or both principals and another SB administrator? We've heard tell of different scenarios, and we've heard tell that placements out of SLHS will not be approved.

Hence all of the talk about private schools and renting.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:06PM

Angry Viking Wrote:
> FCPS doesn't have the money or resources to check
> where you live. No one has to actually move, or
> even pay any money. Just get a friend to sign a
> lease agreement and you can buy one of those to
> download from the internet for 10 bucks. Library
> probably has them too.
>
> No one has ever checked with me or my wife to see
> if we really live in the Oakton district and I
> have a sophomore at Oakton. Why would they start
> checking now? Now that would be unconstitutional
> if they deny pupil placements from SL into Oakton
> (and just Oakton) and they harrass people to see
> if they really live in the Oakton district and not
> SLHS. I would sue the SB.

Good point. In my 20 years in FCPS no one ever inspected my house to see if my kids lived here. I wouldn't have let them in if they had tried. Surely our school system doesn't waste money looking through children's bedrooms. I'm fairly certain I would have heard about residence inspectors if FCPS had them. There would also be a legal issue. The government can't enter private homes without a search warrant or evidence of imminent danger to a child or adult.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:11PM

Guys, they are going to start checking now becaue they know everyone is going to run.

I am not trying to be a trouble maker with you. All I can tell you is that I seem to recall reading, and I think it was in Califronia, where certain very popular schools hired an inspector to check a pupil's residence. They didn't check everyone of course. I think it was random. But I seem to recall that is what happened.

Now of course one could say I will take the chance anyway and if they find out then I will deal with latter. That is up to you.

I am just trying to offer away that I think I know can't fail and perhaps improve one's networth in time. Of course moving to an apartment wouldn't fail either and you wouldn't have be a landlord.

As I said I could be wrong about the checking.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:12PM

> Baffled,
>
> I think the website said March for the deadline.
> But I really am not sure at all as I am very new
> to all of this. And as for the "they", I also do
> not know for sure. Does anyone out there know if
> you need approval from one principal, both
> principals, or both principals and another SB
> administrator? We've heard tell of different
> scenarios, and we've heard tell that placements
> out of SLHS will not be approved.
>
> Hence all of the talk about private schools and
> renting.

Here's the information from FCPS.edu.
http://www.fcps.edu/ss/student-transfer/

The fcps.edu website is searchable.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:16PM

> Baffled,
>
> I think the website said March for the deadline.
> But I really am not sure at all as I am very new
> to all of this. And as for the "they", I also do
> not know for sure. Does anyone out there know if
> you need approval from one principal, both
> principals, or both principals and another SB
> administrator? We've heard tell of different
> scenarios, and we've heard tell that placements
> out of SLHS will not be approved.
>
> Hence all of the talk about private schools and
> renting.

Thanks, I received word from the Rachel Carson guidance office not too long ago that the base school would have to approve the pupil placement and if there is room at a desired school and also approved by the desired school's principal. The guidance office also said the middle schools do not get involved with the high schools about pupil placing. Didn't say when the deadline was though. Strange--the SB decision is at the end of Feb and not much time to get the pupil placements out by March. Nice timing on the SB's end.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:22PM

I like the way you think,.. get the school of your choice AND make some money.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:33PM

Sorry everyone, I was wrong about the deadline. Thanks to the link from Neen, I checked the FCPS website and it says April 15th for "curricular transfers". Those transfers would be those requesting AP over IB. And note that it says that curricular transfers will be prohibited from sports for one year.

There are other types of transfers and I didn't check to see if they have different deadlines. But yes, not much time to get your ducks in a row and if you miss the deadline, too bad for you, no transfer.

Also, Chantilly is on the list of schools that are "full", along with Westfield and Langley. It says they are on the List of Closed Schools. So Navy area parents are going to have to do something other than pupil-placement.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:36PM

OurKidsGoWhereWeWant that would be the fun way. Stick it to em and make money too boot. Meanwhile the children go where you think best. Hehehehehehehehe

Posted by: gaming the system ()
Date: January 05, 2008 10:36PM

Lying to the school system to pupil place your kids puts you in the same category as illegal immigrants. What cost to your personal integrity are you willing to pay? Nice role models folks.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:45PM

I don't think anyone is misleading anyone if they wish to pupil place their children for AP purposes if the school one is sent to fails to offer that option. I don't think that is lying. I would be willing to do that and have no moral problem with it. I want my son to do AP.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:49PM

Bugs ya to not get your way doesn't it. Well, unlike you, who can't guarantee that your school will get our FMES kids, WE are taking steps to guarantee that we get what we want and continue at OHS. Turn about is fair play right? Why would anyone invoved in this sham of democracy and travesty that sweeps minority students under the rug even deign to speak about integrity or role modeling???? I loathe hypocrisy.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:52PM

Infact the Pupil Placement Option is probably the most efficient choice though getting paid by the county to drive a bus and getting choice is probably even better --if one wishes to do that.

Date: January 05, 2008 10:56PM

And buying or renting a house or apartment in order to ensure that your child receives the education that you feel is best is absolutely honorable and I would argue that it is "the American way".

It is this ability to access the education of our choosing that makes our workforce strong, and attracts the best and brightest from around the world to our area, and is our right as taxpayers (and some illegal immigrants pay taxes too -- duh).

Date: January 05, 2008 10:59PM

FME Wrote:
> Bugs ya to not get your way doesn't it. Well,
> unlike you, who can't guarantee that your school
> will get our FMES kids, WE are taking steps to
> guarantee that we get what we want and continue at
> OHS. Turn about is fair play right? Why would
> anyone invoved in this sham of democracy and
> travesty that sweeps minority students under the
> rug even deign to speak about integrity or role
> modeling???? I loathe hypocrisy.

I second that. That is why I am baffled by this whole mess.

Date: January 05, 2008 11:07PM

> Sorry everyone, I was wrong about the deadline.
> Thanks to the link from Neen, I checked the FCPS
> website and it says April 15th for "curricular
> transfers". Those transfers would be those
> requesting AP over IB. And note that it says that
> curricular transfers will be prohibited from
> sports for one year.
>
> There are other types of transfers and I didn't
> check to see if they have different deadlines.
> But yes, not much time to get your ducks in a row
> and if you miss the deadline, too bad for you, no
> transfer.
>
> Also, Chantilly is on the list of schools that are
> "full", along with Westfield and Langley. It says
> they are on the List of Closed Schools. So Navy
> area parents are going to have to do something
> other than pupil-placement.

Thanks. Yes, unfortunately not much time thanks to whoever decided on these boundary study meeting dates and the final decision for Feb 28. Makes one feel like doing a game of water shooting at a duck row booth like the one you would see at a carnival.

Date: January 05, 2008 11:36PM

Well, it certainly looks and feels like folks in the re-districted zones are being manipulated and forced into switching high schools, doesn't it? Maybe the SB is trying to minimize the "shrinkage" of the group of re-districted students by assuming that people either won't know about the deadlines or won't move fast enough.

It is imperative that the pupil placement deadlines are made known to anyone living in these "zones" so they don't lose out this option.

But even if they do miss the opportunity to pupil place, there are always the options of buying/leasing a house in the district of your choice. That gives you until late summer to make arrangements.

Date: January 06, 2008 02:13AM

> Sorry everyone, I was wrong about the deadline.
> Thanks to the link from Neen, I checked the FCPS
> website and it says April 15th for "curricular
> transfers". Those transfers would be those
> requesting AP over IB. And note that it says that
> curricular transfers will be prohibited from
> sports for one year.
>
> There are other types of transfers and I didn't
> check to see if they have different deadlines.
> But yes, not much time to get your ducks in a row
> and if you miss the deadline, too bad for you, no
> transfer.
>
> Also, Chantilly is on the list of schools that are
> "full", along with Westfield and Langley. It says
> they are on the List of Closed Schools. So Navy
> area parents are going to have to do something
> other than pupil-placement.

Isn't Navy being moved out of Chantilly? Then it won't be overcrowded! I would go ahead and apply for the pupil placement if that's what you want to do, apply to Chantilly and see what they say. OR apply to Chantilly AND Oakton.

Date: January 06, 2008 02:16AM

> And buying or renting a house or apartment in
> order to ensure that your child receives the
> education that you feel is best is absolutely
> honorable and I would argue that it is "the
> American way".
>
> It is this ability to access the education of our
> choosing that makes our workforce strong, and
> attracts the best and brightest from around the
> world to our area, and is our right as taxpayers
> (and some illegal immigrants pay taxes too --
> duh).

Unfortunately most of our poor students in the US do NOT have school choice. Only middle class and upper class have educational options. But change is coming. We have candidates running for President right now who support school choice for ALL students. It's coming.

Posted by: School Security ()
Date: January 06, 2008 04:19AM

Correction...we can and do investgate residential issues! And DO NOT get caught lying!!!

Hey Neen...I was patrolling over near North Springfield Elementary the other day and saw a new Mustang convertible bearing the tag "Neen 16"

Was that you, or could you even fit into a Mustang?

Date: January 06, 2008 05:17AM

A mustang? Hahahahaha............not me. I drive my 330ci or my Z3. Love those convertibles!

Date: January 06, 2008 08:43AM

Well Neen,

You've brought up the fascinating topic of school vouchers. The American educational system is a marketplace. Currently, consumers of educational services can, with some exceptions, choose their school by the location of their housing purchases.

Despite our public school system, it is really only a "pseudo" governmental system due to the free market for housing. There are overwhelming financial rewards for individuals who achieve academically, Parents will continue to use this capitalistic approach to secure educational services for their children. They will avoid schools perceived to be inferior and will be drawn to schools perceived to be superior.

It's interesting to note that in this area, I see many, many parents from non-market economies like China, et al who are the savviest, and quickest to respond to changes in the school system and pockets of quality services. They have embraced the testing criteria for GT centers and TJ and concentrate on getting their children to qualify based on test scores. I guess when you have lived under an oppressive government, or are a minority and you face discrimination and denial based on your DNA, a test-based qualification is a godsend. Ditto for college testing.

This re-districting effort is attempting to force parents into accepting a different education than they had elected vis-a-vis their housing choices. On some level I am interested to see the CIP reports next year to see how many students actually migrate from one high school to the other. If you believe that public high school education in FCPS is basically a capitalistic marketplace, then parents will vote with their feet and SLHS will not receive the number of FME/FlorisE students that they desire to inject success into this school from without. Under the voucher system, which allows free choice among schools, individual schools have to compete for students and therefore have a powerful incentive for excellence.

Posted by: sos ()
Date: January 06, 2008 09:28AM

Darrell Green took this route to get his son onto the Oakton football team a few years back - renting in the area while still maintaining his residence in Loudoun County. The situation was even investigated due to a complaint about him not being an eligible player, and it was determined to be without merit - multiple residences are perfectly acceptable - or at least they were a couple years ago. If it was good enough for Darrell, then it should be good enough for everyone else, right!

Posted by: BMI ()
Date: January 06, 2008 10:39AM

Darrell Green is the perfect example of someone who didn't get where he is today by throwing his hands up and accepting the crap end of the stick and being what society expected of him. Good for him for taking control of his son's future and doing what he thought was best. Mr. Green is not a hypocrite like so many in this forum. He spends loads of time and money helping kids of ALL colors achieve and succeed and do productive constructive stuff. There is no one on this forum who has put more $$ into other people's kids.

If it worked for him to rent an apt in Oakton district and his son stayed and played, then that's what I will do too. We will overcome.

Posted by: Siblings ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:15AM

How about sibling pupil placement? If the older one is already in Oakton High, can this be used as a reason for pupil placement for the younger one? If the answer is yes, what happens if the older one graduates?

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.