HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ticks spread more than just lyme disease - There have been 11 case of Rocky Mountain Fever reported so far this year in Fairfax County alone
Posted by: The Tick ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:41AM

Ticks spread more than just lyme disease
Sunday - 8/21/2011, 9:11am ET
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=149&sid=2506413

WASHINGTON - Ticks are most well-known for spreading lyme disease, but there are other tick-borne diseases to worry about in the D.C. area.

There have been 11 case of Rocky Mountain Fever reported so far this year in Fairfax County, and another four in Prince William County, David Gaines, the public health entomologist for Virginia tells InsideNova.com. A case of the disease has also been reported in Maryland.

The disease is carried by the American Dog Tick, and caused two deaths last year.

The symptoms are a sudden onset of a moderate to high fever, severe headaches, fatigue, deep muscle pain, chills and a rash. They usually appear within two weeks of the bite of an infected tick.

Ehrlichiosis and anaplasmosis are other diseases carried by ticks that have similar symptoms to RMSF.

An annual average of one case of RMSF had been reported a year until an upswing began about five years ago because of the increase in the deer population.

Gaines says the most common tick in Virginia is the Lone Star Tick, which carries ehrlichiosis

The best way to avoid any tick-borne illness is to avoid being bitten by a tick or letting a tick stay on you long enough to transfer the diseases.
Attachments:
Ticks.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ticks spread more than just lyme disease - There have been 11 case of Rocky Mountain Fever reported so far this year in Fairfax County alone
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:54AM

The Tick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>

Spoon!

Re: Ticks spread more than just lyme disease - There have been 11 case of Rocky Mountain Fever reported so far this year in Fairfax County alone
Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:57AM

Forgot one! This is the most dangerous species of Tick...!
Attachments:
the-tick.jpg

Posted by: RMSD ()
Date: August 25, 2011 04:29PM

I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick when I was down in Richmond. It fucking sucked ass. I was bedridden for two days with all those symptoms and then got spots all over me several days later.

If you get bit by a tick and even start to get a fever go to the hospital immediately (and save the tick, they can test it). No fucking joke.

Posted by: Hollywood ()
Date: August 25, 2011 04:49PM

Something bit me on the back of my neck the other day in the parking lot. I had this huge bump on the back of my neck and felt like run over dog shit. Feeling better today, but whatever it was too a chunk out of my neck.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: August 25, 2011 08:02PM

http://www.mbfarviewfarm.com/Guinea-Hens-For-Sale.htm

Follow the link for the solution to your problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 25, 2011 08:15PM

RMSD Wrote:
> I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick
> when I was down in Richmond. It fucking sucked
> ass. I was bedridden for two days with all those
> symptoms and then got spots all over me several
> days later.
>
> If you get bit by a tick and even start to get a
> fever go to the hospital immediately (and save the
> tick, they can test it). No fucking joke.

I had it about 8 years ago. I was really fucked up for about 4 days until they figured it out and then I was laid up for over a week. It's no joke.

LOL at Meepers "spoon" comment. I loved that cartoon.

Posted by: Boostboy ()
Date: August 26, 2011 09:59PM

Glad this was posted. Make sure to use Deep Woods Off or something else with enough DEET to repel the little bastards.

Have had Lyme twice now from my mountain biking adventures. Good doc caught it both times, and after 30 days of doxycycline it was wiped out both times. Did a lot of reading about it after that.

The second time I had it really knocked me down. Horrible fevers and such. If you get a fever, night sweats, extreme fatigue, and a compelling need to lay down (not kidding-this is a clinical diagnosis point) go in and get tested. A good test will tell you whether you had acute or chronic antibodies show up. Acute is good, chronic is VERY bad, meaning you've had it undiagnosed for some time.

I also heard from my sports doc that as many ticks can fly up from your spinning tires on a bike on a trail as you can get on you from brushing up against the end of a plant where they wait to drop on you. Very important to check yourself out well after any time in brush or overgrowth. The nymphs are quite small and can easily evade detection. You will generally not become infected if you get them off within an hour or two from what I have read.

Posted by: Dampwaffles ()
Date: August 27, 2011 12:36AM

Posted by: flagler ()
Date: August 27, 2011 04:23PM

Boostboy Wrote:
>The nymphs
> are quite small and can easily evade detection.
> You will generally not become infected if you get
> them off within an hour or two from what I have
> read.

I've never read that you only have an hour or two. Every source I've come across states 36 hours. As long as you take a shower and scrub after hiking you should be fine.

Posted by: here2help ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:46AM

Deer are a metro rail for ticks in this area, I can help with that!

Posted by: Ticks and Chicks ()
Date: August 28, 2011 09:04PM

Outbreaks of tick-related illnesses follow seasonal patterns (about April to September in the U.S.) as ticks evolve from larvae to adults. Different ticks go through complex life cycles (for example, see Figure 3) that involve mating and larval formation and usually have several hosts; humans are usually not an essential part of the normal tick life cycle, but wherever a mammalian host is pictured in a tick life cycle, usually a human can replace the normal host animal. For example, in Figure 3, people could replace the deer or cow. However, in most cases, the life cycle is not completed with human hosts.

Ticks hide in low brush; this location allows them to physically contact a host. One study suggested that leaning against a tree or sitting on an old log was the quickest way to acquire ticks (about 30 seconds) in tick-infested areas. Ticks require a "blood meal" to grow and survive, and they are not very particular upon whom or what they feed. If ticks don't find a host, they may die.

•Once a tick finds a host (such as a human, a pet dog or cat, a deer, or a rabbit) and finds a suitable site for attachment, the tick begins to burrow with its mouthparts into exposed skin. Tick mouthparts are barbed, which helps to secure them to the host.

•Often the tick secretes "cementum" to more firmly attach its mouthparts and head to the host. Ticks may secrete or regurgitate small amounts of saliva that contain neurotoxins. These nerve poisons cleverly prevent the host from feeling the pain and irritation of the bite. Consequently, individuals may never notice the tick bite or its feeding. The saliva may contain a blood thinner to make it easier for the tick to get its blood meal. Some people are allergic to these secretions and may have a quick and severe allergic reaction to a tick bite; a few may develop other symptoms listed below.

Figure 3: This is the life cycle of ticks; humans are alternate hosts. Source: CDC
Attachments:
ticks-cycle.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.