HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
annual vehicle registration
Posted by: hadenuf ()
Date: August 19, 2011 09:48AM

Does anyone know why we must register our vehicles every year and pay forty bucks for the pleasure of doing so? Is this nothing more than an additional tax? We don't register our homes every year. How can we force the county and DMV to remove this ridiculous burden?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: annual vehicle registration
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 19, 2011 09:51AM

You can force the DMV to lift those fees by doing exactly what you are doing, bravely I might add. Posting these concerns to a public Internet forum where state officials frequent is the best way to do it. I can't wait to have that money back every year, I can see it popping into my bank account already! Go tell Fairfax County to make DMV stop doing this!1!1!!!!1!!!

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: The thing that gets me about this ()
Date: August 19, 2011 11:50AM

Remember when we used to pay 25 bucks for the stupid windshield sticker? Then a few years back when the county was raking in the dough, they decided to stop collecting for the sticker. Now, because the revenue is down again, they're charging us 40 bucks for the sticker that they don't actually give us. I'd be much more willing to pay the extra 40 bucks if they at least gave us the tax sticker, but instead they're charging us 15 dollars more than they used to and not giving us the friggin' sticker which is what they are theoretically charging us for!!!

Posted by: bobabooie ()
Date: August 19, 2011 12:14PM

If they gave us a sticker it would be just another thing to give us a ticket for when it expired, sort of surprising they don't as they could be making money on both ends.

Posted by: MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTY! ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:56PM

Fairfax County only enforces what State law allows them. Take it up with the bozo who won re-election that year for 'helping' the FFX CO citizens by eliminating the decal program. Politics motivated that action. And you bozos voted him back in....

Oh, and if you dont like paying your taxes or cant afford to....I hear W. Virginia is a great place for whiners and moonshiners.

MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTY!

Posted by: say ()
Date: August 19, 2011 03:16PM

hadenuf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know why we must register our vehicles
> every year and pay forty bucks for the pleasure of
> doing so? Is this nothing more than an additional
> tax? We don't register our homes every year. How
> can we force the county and DMV to remove this
> ridiculous burden?

The Dept of Motor Vehicles exists for two reasons.

1) For the trial lawyers. DMV keeps track of who owns a vehicle, and thus who will be sued in the event of negligent operation of said vehicle.

2) For the banks and financial companies. The purpose of car titles is to protect their liens. Titles insure that cars used as collateral for for loans cannot be sold without the loan being paid off.

In a perfect world, DMV operations would be funded by the beneficiaries of those operations. ie banks and lawyers. Registering a car would be free to the owner.

But of course this will never happen in a million years, because banks and trial lawyers own the politicians lock, stock, and barrel.

Pay up sucker!

Posted by: been down that road ()
Date: August 19, 2011 06:51PM

The thing that gets me about this Wrote:
> Remember when we used to pay 25 bucks for the
> stupid windshield sticker? Then a few years back
> when the county was raking in the dough, they
> decided to stop collecting for the sticker. Now,
> because the revenue is down again, they're
> charging us 40 bucks for the sticker that they
> don't actually give us. I'd be much more willing
> to pay the extra 40 bucks if they at least gave us
> the tax sticker, but instead they're charging us
> 15 dollars more than they used to and not giving
> us the friggin' sticker which is what they are
> theoretically charging us for!!!

Write to jerry connolly and express your concerns, he was in charge of the BOS during the tax and spend run up days of the county. But contact him in congress where he is currently running the country into the same kind of debt as the county.

Posted by: Tea member ()
Date: August 22, 2011 09:45AM

to make money, on top of raised tolls and super high taxes. God Bless our leaders....

Posted by: hadenuf ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:50PM

I am not talking about personal property tax or the stickers we used to attach to the windshield. That is a separate issue that also needs to be given attention. Remember Gilmore and NO CAR TAX? My point here is annual registration fee and little stickers that get applied to tags. Outside of gov't. unquenchable thirst for revenue, there is no reason to re-register vehicle every year. Vehicle simply needs to be registered once at initial purchase. Let's get rid of this tax. Yes, politicians will cry and tell us that without fees, children will go hungry and old folks will die. Anyone with a third grade education will understand that this is pure BS. Hey politicians, remove the stupid annual registration fee, or you will be removed via voting booth.

Posted by: Janz ()
Date: August 23, 2011 08:16PM

Don't they make quite a bit of money by selling your private information?

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: August 23, 2011 10:41PM

bobabooie Wrote:
> If they gave us a sticker it would be just another
> thing to give us a ticket for when it expired,
> sort of surprising they don't as they could be
> making money on both ends.

That sounds dirty.

Posted by: Thomas Jefferson ()
Date: August 24, 2011 04:50AM

say say, "The Dept of Motor Vehicles exists for two reasons.

1) For the trial lawyers. DMV keeps track of who owns a vehicle, and thus who will be sued in the event of negligent operation of said vehicle.

2) For the banks and financial companies. The purpose of car titles is to protect their liens. Titles insure that cars used as collateral for for loans cannot be sold without the loan being paid off.

In a perfect world, DMV operations would be funded by the beneficiaries of those operations. ie banks and lawyers. Registering a car would be free to the owner.

But of course this will never happen in a million years, because banks and trial lawyers own the politicians lock, stock, and barrel.

Pay up sucker!"

I think folks getting a driver's license is a good thing. Also good thing that people who get driver's license sort of have to prove they can drive. I also think good thing people sort of have to say they have car insurance. Plus DMV provides jobs for new arrivals.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: August 24, 2011 12:04PM

Thomas Jefferson Wrote:
>
> I think folks getting a driver's license is a good
> thing. Also good thing that people who get
> driver's license sort of have to prove they can
> drive.

Have you actually been on the roads around here? A large percentage of the drivers out there shouldn't have a driver's license.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.