HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS FAILED
Posted by: Monica Brown ()
Date: August 11, 2011 02:09PM

Only 4 School Divisions make AYP this year. Only four divisions – Highland County, Lexington, Norton and West Point – met or exceeded the benchmarks, compared with 12 divisions during the previous cycle. In addition, all schools in these small divisions made AYP based on 2010-2011 tests.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS FAILED
Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: August 11, 2011 02:27PM

You're a cunt.

Posted by: Kilton? Is that you again? ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:10PM

Why on God's green earth would you respond by putting something like that?

Please explain what makes one even think of replying like that?

There is truly something very wong with you. :-/

You need to see someone about your anger issues. Wow.

Did you forget to "adjust" your mirrors again? :'-(

You are a COMPLETE idiot!

Wholly God!

Aaaaahhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Posted by: In_The_Know ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:13PM

Kilton is a douchebag on the internet. He is also a douchebag in real life.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:23PM

Kilton? Is that you again? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why on God's green earth would you respond by
> putting something like that?

Why on God's green earth would you put every sentence on it's own line?

Posted by: Kilton hates women ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:45PM

I hope he is banned like that last loser.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:51PM

Yes. Ban the arrogant wanker.

Posted by: Anonymous! ()
Date: August 11, 2011 04:58PM

i thought it was hilarious! nothing but FCPS bashing around here all day long. it gets old okay?

Posted by: Congratulations! ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:20PM

I hereby declare that you're all cunts. Now get back to work and make my cookies!!!
Attachments:
No_Maam.jpg

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:35PM

Kilton must be gay. No women would go near his willy with a mouth like his. he he

Posted by: Clifton Resident ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:38PM

I bet Clifton Elementary scored highest in the state. Why Oh Why did they shut it down!!

Posted by: postpoppunk ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:48PM

Kilton Wrote:
> You're a cunt.

This comment is totally appropriate - the amount of bitching about FCPS is astonishing and the idea of posting said bitching here on FFXU, and expecting any results at all, is a ridiculous fantasy.

Go do something to change FCPS or you can post in FFXU and be called a cunt --- your choice.

Posted by: FCPS #1 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:56PM

FCPS is the best school system in the country. The teachers have told me that many times. Test scores mean nothing.

Posted by: herewegoagain ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:18PM

OP must not have received the following news release from FCPS today.

AYP? Who cares?? FCPS doesn't......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 11, 2011

FCPS Pass Rates on Virginia SOLs Remain High

Students in Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) continue to pass the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) tests at a high rate, according to data released today by the Virginia Department of Education. Ninety-two percent of FCPS students passed mathematics (Attachment 1), and 93 percent passed reading (Attachment 1). FCPS Superintendent Jack D. Dale notes that the school system’s emphasis on challenging each child to reach his or her full potential is producing strong results.

"Fairfax County Public Schools no longer considers adequate yearly progress (AYP) a true measure of our students’ achievement." said Dale. "Instead, we are focused on how much students in every subgroup are achieving from year to year, using SOL tests, among other assessments."

Mathematics scores in all subgroups have risen significantly during the last five years. Between 2007 and 2011, the percentage of Black students passing in mathematics has risen from 67 percent to 83 percent. During that same time period, the passing percentage for Hispanic students has risen from 68 percent to 85 percent; for students with disabilities from 61 percent to 81 percent; and for students with limited English proficiency from 72 percent to 86 percent. (Graph 1)

The same pattern of achievement can be seen in reading performance. In the last five years, the pass rate for Black students rose from 75 percent to 87 percent; for Hispanic students, from 69 percent to 86 percent; for students with disabilities, from 66 percent to 85 percent; and for students with limited English proficiency, from 68 percent to 85 percent. (Graph 2)

FCPS focuses on rigorous individualized learning and narrowing achievement gaps. To ensure transparency and clarity in communicating SOL results to students, parents, teachers, administrators, and the community, FCPS has created a simple graphic summary for SOL results (Attachment 1). This at-a-glance, one-page summary shows the percentage of students—including various subgroups of students—who passed SOLs in mathematics and in reading for the past three years. The goal is for all students to score in the top 90-100 percent passing performance band. Viewers of this summary can quickly determine passing percentages, trends, and patterns over the past three years.

During the last three years, the achievement gap between Black and White students in mathematics has narrowed from 15 to 13 percentage points and the Hispanic-white achievement gap has lessened from 16 to 11 percentage points. In reading, the achievement gap between Black and White students decreased from 13 to 10 percentage points, while the White-Hispanic gap still hovers around 10 percentage points.

http://commweb.fcps.edu/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=1787

Posted by: really? ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:25PM

So the rest of the state seems to care about AYP but Jack Dale does'nt? What up with that??? Anyone care to comment?

Posted by: I hate JD ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:26PM

I am making up bumper stickers. Who wants one?

Posted by: yep ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:29PM

FCPS #1 Wrote:
> FCPS is the best school system in the country. The
> teachers have told me that many times. Test scores
> mean nothing.

Ya I bought a used car from a dealership once, I heard the something similar

Posted by: AYPs and Pains ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:57PM

AYP is part of the Bush-era NCLB law. Under that law, a school can fail to make AYP if one or more of 32 designated groups within the school have pass rates on state reading and math tests that are below targets that are more demanding every year.

So, for example, White, Black and Hispanic students can meet the goals, but a school will still fail AYP if, say, less than 85% of the students with learning disabilities get a passing score on the math SOL. That's what happened this year at Churchill Road Elementary in McLean and several other schools. Or, the various groups within a school can do better in 2011 than in 2010, but the school can still fail to make AYP in 2011 because the required pass rates got higher.

Since the number of schools not meeting AYP are now going to increase one way or another, given how the law is written, both states and school districts are starting to blow it off. To the extent that the alternative would be even more mind-numbing drills to prepare students for SOL exams, that's probably a good thing.

Posted by: Relax, Don't Do It ()
Date: August 11, 2011 08:35PM

really? Wrote:
> So the rest of the state seems to care about AYP
> but Jack Dale does'nt? What up with that??? Anyone
> care to comment?

What the OP decided to leave out was that FCPS was one of the 128 school divisions (out of 132) that did not meet AYP. The OP's original title is obviously skewed towards some sort of agenda, but based on the fact that 97% of Virginia's school districts did not meet AYP I'm going to assume that Jack Dale is just one of several superintendants that aren't that concerned with AYP.

Posted by: cb ()
Date: August 12, 2011 12:06PM

AYPs and Pains Wrote:
> AYP is part of the Bush-era NCLB law. Under that
> law, a school can fail to make AYP if one or more
> of 32 designated groups within the school have
> pass rates on state reading and math tests that
> are below targets that are more demanding every
> year.
>
> So, for example, White, Black and Hispanic
> students can meet the goals, but a school will
> still fail AYP if, say, less than 85% of the
> students with learning disabilities get a passing
> score on the math SOL. That's what happened this
> year at Churchill Road Elementary in McLean and
> several other schools. Or, the various groups
> within a school can do better in 2011 than in
> 2010, but the school can still fail to make AYP in
> 2011 because the required pass rates got higher.
>
>
> Since the number of schools not meeting AYP are
> now going to increase one way or another, given
> how the law is written, both states and school
> districts are starting to blow it off. To the
> extent that the alternative would be even more
> mind-numbing drills to prepare students for SOL
> exams, that's probably a good thing.

This a thousand times. People just don't get the way AYP works so if they see failed to make AYP, it must mean everything is wrong.

I said in another thread; AYP should be reevaluated. The idea is good but the achievement numbers create a situation for eventual failure.

You can't have 32 areas of performance and then say that because 1 group fails the whole school fails too. If the 31 others groups made it then the school passed but it needs to work harder with that specific group as they move forward. Those groups can change year to year (you will generally though see the same groups need improvement though).

Basically, schools that don't make AYP each year they a. don't make it because the same groups have to make higher performance numbers then they had the year before and b. the numbers are continually increasing regardless of whether they made it the previous year.

I'm sure someone will tell me how I'm making excuses...just curious as what excuses those are?

If I tell a quarterback in the NFL that if he doesn't complete at least 85% of his passes to his black wide receivers and 85% to his white tight ends and 80% to his asian fullback that he doesn't get paid then he'd probably just not play football because those percentages are based on a myriad of things;
a. his ability to be an effective passer,
b. the ability of the individuals to actually catch the ball,
c. the number of players who fit the categories on the team (if you only have 1 fullback but 7 wideouts the margin for error for the wideouts is larger than the fullback);
d. play calling (what if you never throw to the backfield player; and
e. a whole mess of other things.

That's what AYP is a flawed system where all the variables are dependent on one another to achieve full success. When you understand the problem with the system itself; you understand why the system sets up schools to fail.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.