HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Intersection at Pan Am Shopping Center
Posted by: Boobs ()
Date: August 08, 2011 11:20AM

Why did they put in that shitty shopping center across from Pan Am which led to the shitty intersection that now creates the ultimate bottleneck coming our of Pan Am shopping center? The Walgreens and PNC were not necessary. Now traffic is terrible over there and it's a pain in the ass to get out of the shopping center as everything funnels to that one intersections. Fairfax should have never approved that construction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Intersection at Pan Am Shopping Center
Posted by: Les ()
Date: August 08, 2011 11:26AM

What happened to putting retail at Metrowest and near the Vienna metro? That's hardly a walkable intersection with the traffic to and from Merrifield.

Posted by: Zak ()
Date: August 08, 2011 01:51PM

I agree that shitty 2-store shopping center they built is a complete waste. I think the recent influx of new banks in the area is a direct result of the TARP money put to use. As for the new traffic light, WTF!? Never have a situation where people must stop at a stop sign before going through a traffic light.

Also, I can't tell you how many people I've seen turn left into the wrong way on Nutley.

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: August 08, 2011 02:22PM

Posted by: Fee Fi ()
Date: August 08, 2011 03:09PM

Incredibly stupid for only those two businesses. They didn't even put in a new fast food restaurant. If you go to the new ChickFlay nearby at about noon, you can see that Fairfax county is STARVING for new fast food choices.

The first time I left Pan Am via Microcenter, I tried to take a left onto Nutley and released there was a new middle curb there. That's before they had any "no left hand turn" sign.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: August 08, 2011 03:22PM

I agree, that section of Nutley sucks now. It made no sense to put the Walgreens and the bank there.

Date: August 08, 2011 03:43PM

There is a whole other point nobody has brought up yet...market saturation!

This is defined by:

1. Wachovia Bank, Bank of America, Chevy Chase Bank, and now PNC bank in the same f-ing shopping center.

2. CVS and Walgreens in the same f-ing shopping center.

Remember when Rite-Aid tried to survive 50 yards from the established CVS store in Fair City mall a couple of years ago? Better luck next time.

I know this is how capitalism is supposed to work, but SHEESH!

Date: August 08, 2011 03:44PM

sry... Chevy Chase Bank = CaptialOne Bank

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: August 08, 2011 04:35PM

Theoretically the county govt is suppose to take into consideration traffic volume when rezoning a property but the folks who pushed this 2 store pile of shit development are quite friendly with elements of the county govt. so there you go a clusterfuck and likely to get far worse as Metrowest gets built out

Posted by: in the 80s ()
Date: August 08, 2011 04:57PM

The light to cross at that intersection was historically the SHORTEST light in Faifax County. You honestly had 2 seconds of green before yellow - everyone ran it at rush hour.

Posted by: I was just over there ()
Date: August 08, 2011 07:57PM

Man, that light when you leave the Pan Am shopping center is a true pain the ass. VDOT better get back over there with one of their engineers and perform another study on the traffic issues. Clearly, not enough time is allotted for people leaving the Pan Am shopping center. Plus, leading up the the light, one has a couple of stop signs within 50 feet of the light, so they have to stop at the signs and then gas it to get through the light.

This mess is one major fuster cluck waiting to happen.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 08, 2011 09:57PM

it certainly is a clusterfuck.......but for the gas price I get at that Safeway, it's worth it to deal LoLz

Posted by: Sunny D ()
Date: August 09, 2011 06:29AM

No way Gordon......the gyros at Family Restaurant are worth the traffic hassle.

Posted by: Sunlife ()
Date: August 09, 2011 09:56AM

You forgot about the stupid Sunlife Bank in the Safeway. That's 5 banks in the same damn shopping center.

Posted by: old fart ()
Date: August 09, 2011 01:00PM

As Gerry Connolly explained to our home owners group, it's called smart growth. Anything you build "near" a metro stop is "smart". Think the intersection is messed up now, wait until those 2,300 housing units are built on the other side of RT 29. Don't worry. All the new residents will take metro to work and walk to Pam Am to do their shopping. No additional vehicles. Smart!

Date: August 09, 2011 04:07PM

note to self: check out what Sunny D is cluing me into :)

Posted by: I was just over there ()
Date: August 09, 2011 06:46PM

old fart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As Gerry Connolly explained to our home owners
> group, it's called smart growth. Anything you
> build "near" a metro stop is "smart". Think the
> intersection is messed up now, wait until those
> 2,300 housing units are built on the other side of
> RT 29. Don't worry. All the new residents will
> take metro to work and walk to Pam Am to do their
> shopping. No additional vehicles. Smart!

Does this mean I have to stop for those hundreds of people crossing Rt. 29 and are not using the cross-walks?
Attachments:
wb.jpeg

Posted by: Blank Reg ()
Date: August 10, 2011 10:00AM

Just FYI, I saw a couple of werewolves panhandling around 8:00 this morning at the intersection of Nutley and Route 29. They were utilizing the newly built concrete divider on the Pan Am side of 29. Maybe they came out of the Homeless Forest that borders Nutley and Route 50.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: August 10, 2011 10:27AM

"Fairfax county is STARVING for new fast food choices."

Oh sweet god no!

Posted by: Freidra ()
Date: September 04, 2011 06:43PM

Don't even get me going about walking from the Wags to the Michaels/Microcenter side of things (I stroller there with my kid a lot). Sidewalks built for rainwater cachement (I can only imagine, there's no logical reason to make it longer to walk...) and then you sit and wait and wait for the light to turn. When it does, peds are sufficiently rare enough that we still nearly get run over by at one person. I was an urban studies undergrad. To this area I can only say that it isn't actually very smart.

Posted by: JohnnyBob ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:46AM

The largest problem with the Walgreens intersection is the light directing traffic OUT of Pan-Am onto Nutley. If you wish to go to the Walgreens from that direction, you can only do so from the same lane which is turning right. This means that all of the traffic wishing to leave to the right is effectively stuck behind you and unable to make a right turn on red until you proceed forward: BOTTLENECK.

They need to get out there and change the right lane to a *turn only* lane and make the other one a straight or left lane, which is opposite of the way it is currently set up.

As for the placing a Walgreens at that spot... it is forcing competition to take notice and evolve. CVS who HAD dropped their walk-in clinic staffed by a Nurse Practicioner has added it back again. Maybe they will also decide that "24 hours" should include the pharmacy too? CVS has also changed in other ways than the pharmacy remodel by putting in a new store manager who seems to actually care about keeping the store clean and stocked. MAJOR DIFFERENCE AND KUDOS TO THIS STAFF! Now... if they would

Safeway also has a pharmacy... so there are three in sight distance of one another now. Safeway is also following along and currently putting in a walk-in clinic with a small remodel to their pharmacy. The Walgreens doesn't have a clinic at this particular location... but it does have an electric car charging station (really?) and sells propane tanks.

Date: February 15, 2012 11:50AM

Left a thought unfinished...

"Now if they would..." just angle the CVS pharmacy pick-up counter so that the line to get a prescription didn't extend into and block aisles for shopping, it would be better still. At least they did some rearranging of departments recently so that you are not standing next to all of the condoms while waiting...

Date: February 15, 2012 11:59AM

y'know something.....................it's amazing that's it's the year 2012 and that chunk of Nutley St is STILL TO THIS DAY a fuckhouse.

Remember back in the day when it had more potholes than pavement?

Posted by: I know other chains exist ()
Date: February 15, 2012 12:33PM

Fee Fi Wrote:
> Incredibly stupid for only those two businesses.
> They didn't even put in a new fast food
> restaurant. If you go to the new ChickFlay nearby
> at about noon, you can see that Fairfax county is
> STARVING for new fast food choices.
>

Agreed.

There are plenty of fast food locations but no variety. How many fucking Chipotle's does one county need?

Posted by: Long Time Resident ()
Date: February 15, 2012 02:44PM

Back in the day, Nutley between Rt 50 and Lee Highway was a private road preventing VDOT from making improvements.

Since it was a short cut to the Vienna Metro, the landowner was holding out for $$$$ and failing to maintain it.

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> y'know something.....................it's amazing
> that's it's the year 2012 and that chunk of Nutley
> St is STILL TO THIS DAY a fuckhouse.
>
> Remember back in the day when it had more potholes
> than pavement?

Posted by: Jerry Springer ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:36PM

What is the history of small graveyard at the Pan Am center? I worked as a kid at The ARCO gas station across the street when it also housed TWI-
Transmission World Inc.
_

Date: February 15, 2012 11:49PM

It isn't as small as it appears.

I refer you to this discussion:

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/16727.html

Posted by: nouturn ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:58PM

That intersection is really a pain in my ass. Fuck that no u turn and no right on red, i do it all day long.

Posted by: WTF. ()
Date: February 22, 2012 05:31PM

Saw survey ribbons all over the place in the woods right below the new PNC. Guess Fairfax County is going to allow something to be built in that location. Thus increasing the traffic hell even more. I thought the Chesapeake Bay Oridance prohibited building within a certain amount of feet from a stream but I guess developers and the county have found a way around that.

Posted by: Joan ()
Date: September 23, 2013 07:44PM

What was previously in the store where Michael's is now?

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:27AM

I am just totally amazed by the wisdom of Gerry Connolly! I am surprised that he is able to find his way to Capitol Hill let alone represent his district in a responsible manner.

Posted by: ............. ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:59AM

nouturn Wrote:
> That intersection is really a pain in my ass. Fuck
> that no u turn and no right on red, i do it all
> day long.

Tru-DAT!!!

Posted by: old farte ()
Date: September 24, 2013 09:37AM

Joan Wrote:
> What was previously in the store where Michael's
> is now?

That side of the center used to sell building materials. Either Channel Lumber or 84 Lumber.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.