HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
No Kids Allowed Restaurants in Fairfax County?
Posted by: NoKiddies ()
Date: August 01, 2011 10:07AM

With the new trend of "No Kids Allowed." (NKA) What restaurants in Fairfax county have banned kids?

I'm so sick of these kids crying, running around and just generally being a disturbing menace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No Kids Allowed Restaurants in Fairfax County?
Posted by: enough already ()
Date: August 01, 2011 10:12AM

Agreed, for every family that makes their kids behave at a public restaurant, there is another that lets them run the aisles like they are at a playground as long as they are not bothering Mom and Dad.

Posted by: JackdUpFord ()
Date: August 01, 2011 11:41AM

fast eddies at the intersection on 28 and 29.

go there on tuesdays and thursdays and do some line dancing.

got some hotties in there too.

Posted by: JackdUpFord ()
Date: August 01, 2011 11:42AM

sorry correction, i think on monday nights the let kids. check the dates and times for when noone under 21 can go in.

theyve been carding too

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: August 01, 2011 11:57AM

Last time I was there, Fat Tuesday's (University Mall, Fairfax) had a sign on the doors saying something like "this is a bar: no children under 12." I wish more restaurants had that policy.

Posted by: BarInChntilly ()
Date: August 01, 2011 05:12PM

A bar in Chantilly has the sign that says this "Patrons must be 21 years old to enter this establishment, so act like it."

Posted by: MikeyMike ()
Date: August 01, 2011 09:01PM

I'm also in favor of a "no 12-17 y/o" policy, because some of you teenage ass clowns are much more irritating than my toddler.

Posted by: Cutting off your nose ()
Date: August 01, 2011 10:56PM

Gotta say that banning families from restaurants would be a sure way to lose some of the best customers.

Many of us who work full-time and raise children eat out more often than we'd like to, simply because of the convenience when we're time-constrained and tired.

I spend a lot more money on restaurants these days than I ever did in those years back when I only had to cook for 1 (myself) or 2 (myself and spouse).

Besides, I see many families like mine eating out with kids who behave fine. And we certainly always tip well (though I don't know if this is true of our entire demographic--my husband and I both waited tables as teens/young adults, so we empathize with and appreciate servers).

Posted by: well ()
Date: August 02, 2011 02:47AM

About 10 years ago I went to a TGI Fridays and was seated next to a family who had children, I believe 2 or 3 boys. They were definitely old enough to understand their behavior, these were not babies. They screamed at the top of their lungs while their parents sat and laughed. The waiter (who was a teenager) did not do anything, although I was surprised he did not get the manager. The entire section was cleared out. I had never seen anything like that before, and combined with their consistently stupendously awful service it has been many many years since I stepped foot in a TGIF. In fact I am regifting a 25 dollar gift card I received because free is too much to eat there.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: August 02, 2011 04:31AM

Feed those brats at home like you are supposed to do. Now you can put the obese blame where it belongs...at home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Goto: Forum List•Back to Forum•Search•Log In ()
Date: August 02, 2011 09:57AM

well Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About 10 years ago I went to a TGI Fridays and was
> seated next to a family who had children, I
> believe 2 or 3 boys. They were definitely old
> enough to understand their behavior, these were
> not babies. They screamed at the top of their
> lungs while their parents sat and laughed. The
> waiter (who was a teenager) did not do anything,
> although I was surprised he did not get the
> manager. The entire section was cleared out.

A few years ago I was at Dulles waiting for a flight when a group of annoying bratty kids took up residence next to me. It had been a long day so I already had a short fuse and they managed to light it. They were wrestling each other in the seats, slapping food out of each others hands, running around in circles, etc. When two of them finally fell over into me during their fighting/wrestling I'd had enough. I ended up looking over at them and bellowing "DO YOU MIND? Knock it off!" The looks on their faces were priceless. All four of them, eyes wide, jaws agape, dumfounded that someone called them out on their bullshit. Suddenly mom appears from wherever she had been, rounds them up, and takes them off to some other part of the terminal.

There was once a day when, if you were a kid acting up in public and your parents weren't around, someone else would beat your ass. Then, when you got home, your parents would already know and beat your ass again for making someone else beat your ass. It's a shame that's not acceptable anymore.

Posted by: rtg ()
Date: August 02, 2011 10:39AM

> There was once a day when, if you were a kid
> acting up in public and your parents weren't
> around, someone else would beat your ass. Then,
> when you got home, your parents would already know
> and beat your ass again for making someone else
> beat your ass. It's a shame that's not acceptable
> anymore.

+100

Date: August 02, 2011 10:52AM

I don't agree with children being banned from restaurants (unless you are talking about a bar of course), but I DO believe that if children act in the way I witnessed at Fridays, and where the parents were encouraging the behavior or if they just do nothing, they should be told by the waiter or manager that it is not acceptable. The parents obviously feel this behavior is OK and they need to know that not everyone wishes to witness their superior parenting skills. When there is zero effort made to correct unacceptable behavior, I believe "the customer is always right" goes out the window.

Posted by: Santini's ()
Date: August 02, 2011 10:54AM

Sorry lady with kids but...

The restaurants that ban kids are going make more money. A couple of reasons.

1) Adults will stay longer and order more. They'll feel free to order drinks.
2) Families with kids are usually not good tippers, adult groups tip well.
3) Adult meals are higher dollar items than kiddie meals.

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: August 02, 2011 10:56AM

Patriot's Bar is 21+ at all times.

Posted by: Santini ()
Date: August 02, 2011 11:02AM

I was at Santini's a week ago. A lady with three kids and what appeared to be a Grandmother came in. The lady painsful puts in the order with the kids changing their minds every five seconds.

Once the order was placed the kids proceeded to grab items off the vending shelves and scream at the top of their lungs "I want this, cry and stomp their feet." The mother just grabbed whatever item and put it back on the shelf. The kids then just went back, grabbed another item and repeated the process screaming. This took place for about ten minutes until they got their order and left.

The biggest surprise was that the Grandmother, who must of been about 70, didn't say a word to the kids.

Everybody in the place was staring at the mother like "What the fuck lady!?!?!? Shut those fucking kids up or we are all going to lynch them!!!!!"

Date: August 02, 2011 11:07AM

I would put forth 2 scenarios- the grandkids got it when they went home. I have heard many stories from friends where their parents would not say a word in public but as soon as they got home all bets were off.
The parents of this children told grandma in yuppie-speak they don't believe in discipline, and in order to see the grandkids she bites her tongue. At her age I cannot imagine she did not discipline her own children.

Date: August 02, 2011 11:34AM

From the reaction of the grandma I thought the same thing.

My opinion was this lady might be recently divorced and the kids are being used as ponds. The father is giving them anything they want when with him. The mom didn't want to actually say no.

The grandma was happy to be around the kids and didn't want the kids to think she was the "evil grandma."

EVERYBODY in the place was looking at each other and thinking somebody needs to stop this shit.

Date: August 02, 2011 11:39AM

Oh... and I have decided from now on I'm going pull out my cell phone and just start video taping the incidents. Maybe post them in this thread.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 02, 2011 12:39PM

Good thing no one here ate at restaurants as a kid!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 12:40PM by More Complete.

Posted by: 01110011001001110111010101110000 ()
Date: August 02, 2011 12:59PM

To any parents out there who think everyone is ok with your entitled, sensitive, obnoxious brats please know that not everyone loves your kids. In fact, I can guarantee that you are the only ones who love your kids and the rest of us (parents of good kids or not parents at all) are disgusted not only by their horrible behavior but also by how weak you are and your complete inability to control them. Not telling your kids no or not giving them any boundaries is only setting them up to fail as adults. Clap. Clap. Clap.

Posted by: Scarlet Letter ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:04PM

Santini Wrote:
> Oh... and I have decided from now on I'm going
> pull out my cell phone and just start video taping
> the incidents. Maybe post them in this thread.

Nah, post them to YouTube and explicitly name the restaurant and location.

That'll get a fast reaction.

Posted by: Goto: Forum List•Back to Forum•Search•Log In ()
Date: August 02, 2011 01:27PM

More Complete Wrote:
> Good thing no one here ate at restaurants as a
> kid!

I think you meant to say "Thanks Mom and Dad for not letting me act like a spoiled shithead whenever we ate at restaurants while I was a kid."

Posted by: Autistic children as a special consideration ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:07PM

I'm a parent who both eats out with my children AND teaches and ensures their good behavior, especially in public places such as restaurants.

I had an eye-opening/heart-breaking experience not long ago in eating out with a friend who's child is autistic. With no provocation, the child began crying, then screaming, and this persisted for the entire time the rest of us ate, with the parent leaving twice (going to the parking lot) with the child to stop disturbing others. I didn't know exactly what to do or say, but I did try to be supportive. I understand my friend has received a lot of negative feedback from others in public, as if a severely autistic child's behavior can be controlled by better parenting. (BTW, I realize from a relative's experience that children who are on the spectrum but at the higher-functioning end, e.g. with Asperger's Syndrome CAN and SHOULD be taught socially appropriate behavior.)

Anyway, that dinner made me realize how incredibly stressful it is to raise a severely autistic child. If I ever encounter such a situation again, I'm going to try to offer some supportive words/other help to the parent (despite being a stranger) to be sure that s/he knows it's OK to get out occasionally--that some people around them are supportive and not judging them.

With the increase in autism, I'm sure many such parents need a break outside their homes occasionally, and I hope they are accommodated rather than negatively judged.

Posted by: yvkbL ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:51PM

Autistic children as a special consideration Wrote:
> I'm a parent who both eats out with my children
> AND teaches and ensures their good behavior,
> especially in public places such as restaurants.
>
> I had an eye-opening/heart-breaking experience not
> long ago in eating out with a friend who's child
> is autistic. With no provocation, the child began
> crying, then screaming, and this persisted for the
> entire time the rest of us ate, with the parent
> leaving twice (going to the parking lot) with the
> child to stop disturbing others. I didn't know
> exactly what to do or say, but I did try to be
> supportive. I understand my friend has received a
> lot of negative feedback from others in public, as
> if a severely autistic child's behavior can be
> controlled by better parenting. (BTW, I realize
> from a relative's experience that children who are
> on the spectrum but at the higher-functioning end,
> e.g. with Asperger's Syndrome CAN and SHOULD be
> taught socially appropriate behavior.)
>
> Anyway, that dinner made me realize how incredibly
> stressful it is to raise a severely autistic
> child. If I ever encounter such a situation again,
> I'm going to try to offer some supportive
> words/other help to the parent (despite being a
> stranger) to be sure that s/he knows it's OK to
> get out occasionally--that some people around them
> are supportive and not judging them.
>
> With the increase in autism, I'm sure many such
> parents need a break outside their homes
> occasionally, and I hope they are accommodated
> rather than negatively judged.

That is significantly different than the main theme of this thread. In your friend's case, she acknowledged her child's behavior and was doing everything possible to abate it.

What I hate are the parents that are like "Oh, Johnny will be Johnny" as the kid runs around screaming his head off and kicking servers in the shins. That's a child that needs to be put over a knee and spanked for several weeks straight, followed by the same treatment for the parents.

Posted by: Kids will be kids ()
Date: August 02, 2011 09:47PM

While I agree, of course, that parents should ensure that their children behave, I wonder at the same time whether the increase in the proportion of the U.S. population that is single w/out children accounts for less tolerance for children's inevitable lapses (even when parents are monitoring them).

I'm reminded of a story someone who now has children tells of an encounter he had with someone who overtly criticized him for his kid's bout of misbehavior in public. He replied, "I too was a much better parent before I actually had kids." We were having a conversation about how difficult parenting can be--other parents may be more inclined to empathize when we see a child acting up (we may assume it's an isolated incident, that the kid will be punished later, and so forth, b/c we can relate to the struggles of raising a child and realize things aren't always as they seem in one bad moment).

For those of you who may be unfairly intolerant and harsh in your judgments: Just be glad that some of us are taking on the thankless, incredibly expensive and taxing job of raising the generation who will pay your pensions and social security. You owe us big time!

Posted by: A Parent ()
Date: August 02, 2011 10:17PM

Kids will be kids Wrote:
> For those of you who may be unfairly intolerant
> and harsh in your judgments: Just be glad that
> some of us are taking on the thankless, incredibly
> expensive and taxing job of raising the generation
> who will pay your pensions and social security.
> You owe us big time!

WTF..you are joking right? If not, you can keep your kids damn pension and SS contributions to yourselves, and STFU along with your bratty kids...

I won't owe you all anything, and our family can enjoy many nights dining in harmony!!!

Date: August 02, 2011 11:12PM

I think it has been made clear this thread is not about children who are autistic or have other behavior or medical issues, nor is it about children whose parents make an effort to curtail the behavior. This is about the children who outlandishly misbehave and the parents who ignore the behavior or even encourage it because they find it adorable.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: August 03, 2011 09:41AM

I actually consider this to be a thread about how people don't mind ruining someone else's time at a restaurant.

IMHO, there literally is NO excuse for doing so.

Posted by: even worse ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:37AM

The only worse than uncontrollable brats ruining your meal at a restaurant is uncontrollable brats ruining your flight across the country.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: August 03, 2011 11:08AM

even worse Wrote:
> The only worse than uncontrollable brats ruining
> your meal at a restaurant is uncontrollable brats
> ruining your flight across the country.

Not by a long shot. I'd rather deal with the occassional misbehaving kid than I would having some big shot talking extremely loudly on his/her cell phone so that everyone in the place can hear the conversation.

The problem isn't with the kids at these restaurants. It is with the people who bring them there. And those same bores are going to make your dining experience just as miserable if they leave those kids behind and instead bring their cell phone or their drinking buddies.

Posted by: imo ()
Date: August 03, 2011 01:39PM

I have a older adult daughter who works in a nice restaurant and she would rather have couples without kids not because the kids are bad, couples tend to order more expensive items like mixed drinks ect. Family mean more work for her and the other staff.. I don't think the no kids will apply to all restaurants just some and I will try them out. I have had more then one good meal ruined with a parent who was unwilling to get up with a screaming child in a nice restaurant.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 03, 2011 02:04PM

Goto: Forum List•Back to Forum•Search•Log In Wrote:
> More Complete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good thing no one here ate at restaurants as a
> > kid!
>
> I think you meant to say "Thanks Mom and Dad for
> not letting me act like a spoiled shithead
> whenever we ate at restaurants while I was a kid."

Well yeah but honestly, I've not noticed this phenomenon. Then again, I don’t go out much.

Posted by: Parents Are Aware ()
Date: August 03, 2011 02:23PM

I don't care if you want to go out and have a good meal, so does the rest of us!
Parents know exactly how their child/children are going to act in a restaurant, I'm sure it's not the 1st trip to one and if it is, then ensure it's the last time until you have taught your child/children how to behave in public!
There are too damn many parents out here that feels their child/children have the right to act anyway they want, guess what you are so wrong!
If I have to reprimand your child/children while I am having my dinner, I dare you to say one word to me! And you know why, because when my son was young we could take him anywhere and he knew how to act.......As a matter of fact, people use to come up to us and say "you never knew he was in here" we always received compliments because he knew how to act!
Keep them home until they are taught...
As far as banning, not for it; however, 3 strikes at one sitting, you are out.....with the help of others because we too are paying customers.

Posted by: lea ()
Date: August 03, 2011 02:32PM

I once had a waitress come to my table and yell at me and my husband she told me to get control of my child. I was a startled I looked at her and just smile and said "I’d love to but she is not my child, she belongs to the couple behind me in the next both". The poor waitress was mortified and just walked away poor thing. I could not be mad at her that child was at our table so much I could see how she made that mistake. The child was running wild down the Isles screaming, she almost made a waiter drop a tray full of hot food and still the parents could not care less.That was what I like to call lazy parenting 101
My husband and I raised 3 kids taught them to respect sitting at the family table for a meal. If a kid can sit still at home and not play scream or run around then they are ready for a restaurant.
Over the course of raising our kids we had people complement us many times while we were out eating. It’s nice to hear that kind of complement. How many times has anyone here taken the time to complement those parents who you see working hard to get it right? It's their job yes but a compliment from people really can make a parent feel good about the job they are doing and a child hears this and it reinforces positive behavior for them for the next time they are out. So many times parents hear stories about the lazy self-entitled parents letting their kids run amok.
Sometimes too parents get used to their children’s higher pitched voice and may not be aware this is bothersome to others around. Just be friendly and usually a nice comment to the parent does the job of quieting the young ones down. I do believe that children should never be allowed into a place that is a full course meal that is way to long for any child to sit and even some adults.

Posted by: Responsible ()
Date: August 03, 2011 02:46PM

Let's face it, we're feed up with kids in general. They are a pain in the ass.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 03, 2011 03:08PM

it's called parenting................not really that hard, trust me

my kids love eating out so they better behave, cause they know if they dont, I'm draggin their asses out the place lickity split, and they'll be standing nose in corner til bedtime...............and maybe even again once they get up in the morning LoLz.

sad that the restaurants have to take this step cause parents cant parent.....that's really pretty sad

Posted by: Momma ()
Date: August 03, 2011 03:26PM

I applaud the gentleman upthread who shared his airport terminal experience; the fact that the three boys were startled and shocked (!) that a stranger would yell at them speaks volumes!

I am the Mommy to three children and I can say that when my children have misbehaved in public, he or she was swiftly removed (all whilst getting an ear pinch or pinch between thumb and pointer) to our car, where he or she received a spanking. Not a beating, but a swat across the ass. Then, I'd tell him or her we would return if, and only if, he or she could calm down. Swift, consistent discipline. That is what's missing.

Children need to be taught respect and must learn to be appropriately behaved in public. We're seeing the effects of permissive parenting. Gone are the days when you'd be afraid to misbehave at school, for instance, because your parents would give you holy hell later at home!

Every been to Germany? You do not see young children acting out or misbehaving, period.

Would I go to a No Kids Allowed Restaurant? Yes! Happily!

Just because I have children does not mean that I love and can tolerate your brats!

Posted by: Lola ()
Date: August 03, 2011 03:46PM

I was at a Chic Fil A last weekend and there were two families, one behind me and another on my left. There was a kid running around screaming in the play area with no visible supervision, the Father from the family behind me went over, asked the kid (a 2ish year old boy) if he was ok. The kid responds, "Yes" and the Father tells him that you should only scream when you're hurt, and he just wanted to make sure he was ok. The kid calms down continues to play. Five minutes later, the family to my left comes over and starts berating the Father seated behing me (with two very well behaved kids) for "Offending her son" who was completely fine. A disagreement ensues, but the Father behind me ends it with, "Grow up and pay more attention to your child".

*sigh* I told the Father that I appreciated his intervening, his children were very well behaved, and the mother who confronted him should have been appreciative of his concern.

Posted by: kids ()
Date: August 03, 2011 04:29PM

I heard Trummer's loves kids. All ages too.

Just don't order the pork.

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: August 03, 2011 05:01PM

kids Wrote:
> Just don't order the pork.

Why, because it may come out PINK?

Posted by: Pork ()
Date: August 03, 2011 05:26PM

Jeez, I think it was just a joke.

Posted by: Mother of 2 ()
Date: August 03, 2011 05:38PM

I was at Ruth's Chris a few years ago for a "special night out" and there were parents there with two hell raisers -- these kids were screaming and running around and the parents were completely ignoring them (probably why the kids were running around -- anything to get the attention of these idiots that probably had kids to accesorize their "Fantastic Lifestyle"...("We'll take them! As long as they match the Mercedes!"). I brought them to the attention of the manager and he offered to move us toanother table. I mentioned that I wasn't the one disturbing the other diners, so perhaps he would want to move the source. To his credit, he did. Don't know what he said, but once they were hidden away in the bowels of the restaurnat, I know I enjoyed my dinner.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:43PM

Kids will be kids Wrote:
> While I agree, of course, that parents should
> ensure that their children behave, I wonder at the
> same time whether the increase in the proportion
> of the U.S. population that is single w/out
> children accounts for less tolerance for
> children's inevitable lapses (even when parents
> are monitoring them).
>
> I'm reminded of a story someone who now has
> children tells of an encounter he had with someone
> who overtly criticized him for his kid's bout of
> misbehavior in public. He replied, "I too was a
> much better parent before I actually had kids." We
> were having a conversation about how difficult
> parenting can be--other parents may be more
> inclined to empathize when we see a child acting
> up
(we may assume it's an isolated incident, that
> the kid will be punished later, and so forth, b/c
> we can relate to the struggles of raising a child
> and realize things aren't always as they seem in
> one bad moment).
>
> You owe us big time!

I've noticed the opposite. People with children seem to be more harsh when criticizing others' parenting skills.

Yeah, everyone who has children does it for the betterment of society. Every child is planned, and every child is loved!

I don't owe anyone shit.

Posted by: curmudgeon ()
Date: August 03, 2011 11:22PM

that's fine -- kids don't belong at fancy restaurants with multiple course meals. i think most people would agree with that.

but there have to be some allowances made for where you are. you wouldn't go to chucky cheese and expect kids to be quiet -- the whole point of the place is for kids to be able to play noisily.

likewise, you don't have a lot of standing to expect quiet kids at chic fila.

as with most everything -- there's a balance.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 04, 2011 08:04AM

no, kids should be quiet that the friggin Chic Fila, dude.

Chuck E Cheese is LIGHTYEARS away from Chik Fila - TOTALLY different atmosphere, business model, etc.

Chuck E Cheese is literally a playground that serves pizzapie. Chik Fila is a fast food joint. Kids shouldnt be running around there PERIOD!

Look at it like this. Ever notice how the playgrounds at McDonald's are COMPLETELY SEPARATED from the rest of the restaurant - that's to separate the play area from where ppl without kids eat. Kids can run around like idjits all they want in the play area at the Macky-D, no problem. But to do it in the restaurant area, is LUDICROUS!! Even at a McDonald's.

Doesnt really matter the "class" of the restaurant - ppl of ALL classes deserve to be able to eat without kids running around yelling and their shitty parents not doing anything. If you have kids, RAISE THEM! It's not really that hard.................

Date: August 04, 2011 09:05AM

eh.. your perspective will probably change once you're out of your teens.

i'm one of the parents who DOES discipline his kids -- it's very hard, it's all day every day. until you've actually done it, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

but i do it. next time you see a parent on top of their kids at a restaurant be sure to thank them.

and as a side note, any restaurant that has a playground in the building is a kids place. lighten the fuck up or someday you'll end up like the guy who yelled at my kids at a restaurant once.

Posted by: Amen ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:35AM

Mother of 2 Wrote:
> I was at Ruth's Chris a few years ago for a
> "special night out" and there were parents there
> with two hell raisers -- these kids were screaming
> and running around and the parents were completely
> ignoring them (probably why the kids were running
> around -- anything to get the attention of these
> idiots that probably had kids to accesorize their
> "Fantastic Lifestyle"...("We'll take them! As
> long as they match the Mercedes!"). I brought
> them to the attention of the manager and he
> offered to move us toanother table. I mentioned
> that I wasn't the one disturbing the other diners,
> so perhaps he would want to move the source. To
> his credit, he did. Don't know what he said, but
> once they were hidden away in the bowels of the
> restaurnat, I know I enjoyed my dinner.

+10
Amen!

Posted by: Another Amen ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:53PM

@Gordon Blvd
Doesnt really matter the "class" of the restaurant - ppl of ALL classes deserve to be able to eat without kids running around yelling and their shitty parents not doing anything. If you have kids, RAISE THEM! It's not really that hard.................
AMEN!!!!!!!!
Most in this generation who has kids lacks the parental skills that most of us were brought up with and continued with our own. It's the "me" "free" "I can do what I want" "selfish" "inconsiderate" "no boundaries" "I have the right" generation, who goes around and lacks respect towards others.
And the rest of us are "biting" back, we have had a stomach full of this mentality whether it's out in public or behind close doors in an apartment, condo, townhouse setting, etc... I have decided to take it to the media on some issues, others to their immediate supervisor or school official, it's the only way that self-centered people gets the message, call them out on the carpet and point the finger towards embarrassment.....
In other words, it's time for common sense, consideration; and respect to come back into our society.

Date: August 04, 2011 02:48PM

Most in this generation who has kids lacks the parental skills that most of us were brought up with and continued with our own

you sure? so you must also think it's not ok to smoke in public, it's not ok to drive too fast or too slow, or generally go through life being a dick? hell i can't remember the last time i saw a baby boomer stand up and give his seat to a lady somewhere. talk about a generation with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement...

i'm not saying people are wrong to want a relaxing meal out -- i get that. but people are awfully quick to point fingers around here.

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: August 04, 2011 04:57PM

Another Amen Wrote:
I have decided
> to take it to the media on some issues, others to
> their immediate supervisor or school official,
> it's the only way that self-centered people gets
> the message, call them out on the carpet and point
> the finger towards embarrassment.....
> In other words, it's time for common sense,
> consideration; and respect to come back into our
> society.

So, you're on a mission to impose YOUR value system on the rest of us? STFU.

You seem typical of the sort of overeducated, self-important, arrogant urbanite that is ruining Fairfax. Take your values and attitude back to whatever place you came from. Or just kill yourself.

Posted by: Lefty ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:23PM

Keep the kids at home. Nobody wants to hear their whiney asses.

Posted by: come on in and take a look ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:26PM

curmudgeon Wrote:
> Most in this generation who has kids lacks the
> parental skills that most of us were brought up
> with and continued with our own
>
> you sure? so you must also think it's not ok to
> smoke in public, it's not ok to drive too fast or
> too slow, or generally go through life being a
> dick? hell i can't remember the last time i saw a
> baby boomer stand up and give his seat to a lady
> somewhere. talk about a generation with an
> overdeveloped sense of entitlement...
>
> i'm not saying people are wrong to want a relaxing
> meal out -- i get that. but people are awfully
> quick to point fingers around here.

curmageon is right,,,after working in public schools for the last decade, its evident that its up to someone else.... aka the schools, to teach behavior, values, and ethics other since its isnt happening at the home, because the kiddies sure come there without them...

Posted by: Another Amen ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:27PM

curmudgeon
you sure? so you must also think it's not ok to smoke in public, it's not ok to drive too fast or too slow, or generally go through life being a dick?
Positive about the lack of parental skills, it's seen on a daily basis.
I smoke, I drive fast, can't stand slow drivers in the left/passing lane; and never been a dick because I'm not a male.
Just damn tired of the bullshit actions of others, you too will feel the same as you get older and see the lack of respect and consideration of others and will do whatever it will take to set them straight when it as a "direct" impact on your life............

Alpha Male
So, you're on a mission to impose YOUR value system on the rest of us? STFU
Damn right when YOU interfere with MY life, trash mouth!

You seem typical of the sort of overeducated, self-important, arrogant urbanite that is ruining Fairfax.
Thanks for the complement, but it's not me, just the opposite. YOU are not going to infringe on MY rights, it goes both ways.

Take your values and attitude back to whatever place you came from. Or just kill yourself.
Hey! mouth, can't go back if I never left.
Think YOU are the only one that can be vocal? I'll use YOUR words, not mine "STFU".

Have a Good Evening...damn wish I could call you Gentlemen....

Posted by: Call me Daddy ()
Date: August 04, 2011 09:01PM

The problem with kids in restaurants is not with the restaurant manager. And the problem is not with the kids themselves. The problem is with the moronic and clueless parents that let their children behave like noisy hellions running around and offending other diners.

Just complain to the parents. Most will either do something about it, or leave the restaurant.

Date: August 04, 2011 09:02PM

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 09:08PM by Alpha Male.

Posted by: Child free airline ()
Date: August 04, 2011 09:45PM

I just read about an airline that will have child free flights.

Sign me up.

Charge me extra too.

Posted by: beefsupreme ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:30PM

Kids will be kids Wrote:

> You owe us big time!

Shut your mouth and stop acting like you're doing us a favor. Your stupid kids might wind up in prison.

Posted by: Mixed ()
Date: August 05, 2011 12:26AM

I hate kids..

Blood sucking parasites...

Posted by: More Information ()
Date: August 05, 2011 07:07AM

More adults support kid-free zones
Friday - 8/5/2011, 4:42am ET
Some restaurants are banning children to accommodate patrons who want kid-free dining. (AP)Meera Pal, wtop.com
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2484515

WASHINGTON - She may be the apple of her mother's eye, but there is a growing segment of the population that does not want to see that baby girl in its first-class airline cabin or fine-dining establishment.

Across the country, restaurants and other establishments are following in the footsteps of Malaysia Airlines, which recently announced it would no longer allow babies in first-class cabins. While the decision sparked a major debate, it also may have started a new trend.

Following Malaysia Airlines, Dublin-based RyanAir announced it will offer "Child Free" flights beginning in October. RyanAir says its decision was based on a survey of customers who said they "would pay higher fares to avoid other people's children."

In recent months, several restaurants across the country also have instituted bans on children. Pennsylvania restaurant McDain's no longer welcomes kids under the age of 6. Chicago-based restaurant Sprout has banned kids from its Sunday brunch. North Carolina-based restaurant Olde Salty went as far as posting a "Screaming children will not be tolerated" sign in its window. And, Brooklyn bar The Double Windsor has banned babies after 5 p.m.

A group on Facebook titled "Ban Kids From Restaurants" has gathered more than 2,800 members who agree with the idea that children of a certain age do not belong in nice restaurants.

An Internet search did not immediately turn up any D.C.-area restaurants with outright bans on children. One forum looking for child-free restaurants noted that the Michelin-starred restaurant The Inn at Little Washington may be a good place to start.

However, Rachel Hayden, director of public relations for the Inn, says the restaurant does not ban children.

"What we do is explain to them that the dining experience is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. For most people that's a long time to expect a 2-year-old or 4-year-old, or even an older kid to sit through a meal. Most people at that point decide not to bring their kids into that."

The Inn does offer babysitting services for guests who wish to dine at the award-winning restaurant without their children. For those who do decide to bring their kids, Hayden says the kitchen does offer a children's menu.

Earlier this year, Arlington County considered prohibiting children under the age of 8 from the county's nine dog parks at the request of two of its dog park sponsor groups.

The county Board of Supervisors ultimately decided not to institute the rule, says Susan Kalish, director of marketing and communications for the county's Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources.

She says no one has gotten hurt yet and the county hopes to keep it that way by increasing public education efforts. The efforts are a combination of parents teaching their children how to behave around strange dogs and dog owners keeping an eye on their dogs in public places.

She notes that Fairfax County and Alexandria do have age restrictions at their dog parks.

Fairfax County does not allow children under 8 in the off-leash dog area while children between 9 and 15 must be accompanied by an adult. Dog handlers must be 16 years of age or older.

Alexandria also requires children under the age of 16 to be accompanied by an adult when inside a fenced dog area.

Interestingly enough, D.C. was recently named the best city in the country for families to live by Parenting Magazine. The city was chosen for its history, plethora of museums and great family-friendly restaurants

Posted by: MtVernonMom ()
Date: August 05, 2011 09:50AM

I'm not in favor of a blanket ban on children in restaurants, but children should behave appropriately to the setting. At Chuck-e-Cheese you expect kids to be running around -- but that's about the only restaurant! Even McDonald's is removing the playgrounds from their restaurants as they are remodeled. They have probably become a big insurance liability due to the misbehavior of the kids and lack of supervision by the parents.

Parents need to set strict rules at home about behavior at family meals. If the children respect meal time, there shouldn't be a problem with dining out. They will know it's a time for quiet voices and sitting still throughout the meal. What better way to teach your children manners -- start at home!

Also, it should not be other diners' responsibilty to say something to the parents of misbehaving children. The manager of the restaurant, whether fast-food or sit-down, has the RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all patrons are able to enjoy their dining experience in a calm, quiet atmosphere. Same goes for cell-phone users. Put your cell phone on vibrate, so you can decide if you need to take the call, without disturbing everyone around you. Then, get up and go to the lobby or outside of the entrance to talk on your phone. It is extremely rude to sit at your table and have a loud phone conversation.

If everyone went back to considering other people before themselves so selfishly, it would make for much better enjoyment of public places and activities.

Posted by: NoKiddies ()
Date: August 05, 2011 10:13AM

I'm not saying ban kids from all restaurants in FFX, just have some kid free places where adults can enjoy fine dinning without crying, kid fits and being at a playground.

If parents want to eat out with kids, Chuckie Cheese and similar establishments are fine for kids.

At the very least, a kids section and an adults only section. And yes, I understand you don't want sit in a section completely full kids because it's loud and a pain in the ass.

Posted by: getoverit ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:28AM

I don't have kids so I'm not familiar with any restaurants that specifically advertise NKA policies other than bars. Perhaps you can move to a town that does not have kids? There's no such town on earth, obviously, but maybe you can find a nice kid-free area on Mars or Jupiter?

Just sayin...

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:38PM

Santini Wrote:
> I was at Santini's a week ago. A lady with three
> kids and what appeared to be a Grandmother came
> in. The lady painsful puts in the order with the
> kids changing their minds every five seconds.
>
> Once the order was placed the kids proceeded to
> grab items off the vending shelves and scream at
> the top of their lungs "I want this, cry and stomp
> their feet." The mother just grabbed whatever
> item and put it back on the shelf. The kids then
> just went back, grabbed another item and repeated
> the process screaming. This took place for about
> ten minutes until they got their order and left.
>
> The biggest surprise was that the Grandmother, who
> must of been about 70, didn't say a word to the
> kids.
>
> Everybody in the place was staring at the mother
> like "What the fuck lady!?!?!? Shut those fucking
> kids up or we are all going to lynch them!!!!!"

Be careful kids aren't retards if you want to yell at them. Retards are strong as chimps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 04:39PM by Priapus.

Posted by: Mom of Two ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:43PM

When it comes to fine dining there should be an age limit. The food is pricey but you are also paying for the atmosphere and this usually doesn't involve a screaming or misbehaving child. I'm a parent of 2 young ones and it's nice to have a night out with a good meal and good company without having to hear any kids. Childless dining should be limited to fine dining.......my opinion....

Posted by: Akash Singh ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:48PM

I do not think restaurants should ban children we all were children once were all humans kids whine and cry that's normal but they will calm down eventually it's up to the parents not the restaurant what to do that's a violation of our rights anyways not all children are misbehaved that wouldn't let th eat foods they would like to eat and anyways the waiter/ waitress can tell them to go outside then come back in when theyre quiet not them entirely.

Posted by: Too Many Hypocrites ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:52PM

Akash Singh Wrote:
> I do not think restaurants should ban children we
> all were children once were all humans kids whine
> and cry that's normal but they will calm down
> eventually it's up to the parents not the
> restaurant what to do that's a violation of our
> rights anyways not all children are misbehaved
> that wouldn't let th eat foods they would like to
> eat and anyways the waiter/ waitress can tell them
> to go outside then come back in when theyre quiet
> not them entirely.

You are correct the parents should take the kid to the parking lot and slap the crap out of miss behaving child or don't bring them but unfortunately parents these days are self absorbed and ignorant.-- since when is it ok for kids to run around other people's table when they are eating -- and I really don't want to see a kid spitting food out and slopping it all over the table -- I sat at a mid level priced Italian restaurant and all I could here is some stupid azz kids screaming that the cheese smelled like pee—my kids would have gotten the azz beat - Perhaps these parents were not spanked enough as children—they just got a time out WTF is that? keep you kids a chuckie cheese. I have a solution that works everytime though -- just loudy throw out the F or C word towards thier table and watch the little bitches complain or asked to be moved

Posted by: LEEANN ()
Date: August 10, 2011 04:54PM

Too Many Hypocrites Wrote:
> Akash Singh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do not think restaurants should ban children
> we
> > all were children once were all humans kids
> whine
> > and cry that's normal but they will calm down
> > eventually it's up to the parents not the
> > restaurant what to do that's a violation of our
> > rights anyways not all children are misbehaved
> > that wouldn't let th eat foods they would like
> to
> > eat and anyways the waiter/ waitress can tell
> them
> > to go outside then come back in when theyre
> quiet
> > not them entirely.
>
> You are correct the parents should take the kid to
> the parking lot and slap the crap out of miss
> behaving child or don't bring them but
> unfortunately parents these days are self absorbed
> and ignorant.-- since when is it ok for kids to
> run around other people's table when they are
> eating -- and I really don't want to see a kid
> spitting food out and slopping it all over the
> table -- I sat at a mid level priced Italian
> restaurant and all I could here is some stupid azz
> kids screaming that the cheese smelled like
> pee—my kids would have gotten the azz beat -
> Perhaps these parents were not spanked enough as
> children—they just got a time out WTF is that?
> keep you kids a chuckie cheese. I have a solution
> that works everytime though -- just loudy throw
> out the F or C word towards thier table and watch
> the little bitches complain or asked to be moved

well i am not sure slapping the crap out of the kid is the answer, if you know you have a child that is over active you just go to chunky cheese. If you have a kid that is relax then you take a chance. Now i knew NEVER EVER TO TAKE MY kids to a fine restaurant, if we did go to a nice place we get the kids a sitter. post 5 point of view was perfect. Some nights should be open just for family's and others just for adults.

Posted by: Huge Hefner ()
Date: August 10, 2011 08:28PM

I think they should ban kids at Hooters. Destroys the ambiance. Although I gots to say the kids I see at Hooters generally well behaved espcially the pre teen boys with saucer eyes. but the Hooters gals bringing their baby's in is a no-no

Posted by: NOVAman ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:06PM

It doesn't stop with the little sh*ts acting up at a restaurant or an airport terminal. Try being on an airplane hearing constant screams and getting your seat kicked for FOUR F*CKING HOURS! Stop trying to be your kid's BFF and start being a damn parent.

Date: August 10, 2011 11:09PM

Huge Hefner Wrote:
> I think they should ban kids at Hooters. Destroys
> the ambiance. Although I gots to say the kids I
> see at Hooters generally well behaved espcially
> the pre teen boys with saucer eyes. but the
> Hooters gals bringing their baby's in is a no-no

I dunno, I've always thought of Hooters as a family restaurant, like Denny's. I sometimes take my kids there.

Posted by: I hear u ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:09PM

NOVAman Wrote:
> It doesn't stop with the little sh*ts acting up at
> a restaurant or an airport terminal. Try being on
> an airplane hearing constant screams and getting
> your seat kicked for FOUR F*CKING HOURS! Stop
> trying to be your kid's BFF and start being a damn
> parent.
Attachments:
sonic-airplane-ad.jpg

Posted by: same problem here ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:16PM

I was in a restaurant in Burke about a year ago. Some dad has his kid with him, the kid being maybe 10-12 years old. The kid obviously had issues as he kept screaming every two to three minutes in the loudest voice possible. He wasnt sayign anything just screaming. The owner came over and asked if the dad could try to quiet the kid down. The asshole dad started threatning to sue the restaurant for discrimination as the kid was mentally ill.

So the owner relented and the kid stayed. Of course half the customers walked out because who wants to hear a retarded kid scream like that when you are trying to eat.

I dont see how it is discrimination when the owner is losing customers because of the inconsiderate parents.

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:29AM

same problem here Wrote:
> I was in a restaurant in Burke about a year ago.
> Some dad has his kid with him, the kid being maybe
> 10-12 years old. The kid obviously had issues as
> he kept screaming every two to three minutes in
> the loudest voice possible. He wasnt sayign
> anything just screaming. The owner came over and
> asked if the dad could try to quiet the kid down.
> The asshole dad started threatning to sue the
> restaurant for discrimination as the kid was
> mentally ill.
>
> So the owner relented and the kid stayed. Of
> course half the customers walked out because who
> wants to hear a retarded kid scream like that when
> you are trying to eat.
>
> I dont see how it is discrimination when the owner
> is losing customers because of the inconsiderate
> parents.

Keep in mind you can try to sue almost anyone for anything, it doesn't mean that the suit has a legal leg to stand on. Also, this is still the US of A and private business owners can refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Now, the bad press that could arise out of such a stink would probably not be worth the one nights loss of business due to a handful of walkouts.

Posted by: BigK12 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 05:28PM

The only way I can see to get this issue addressed is to go on every single restaurant review page for Fairfax County and complain about the "noisy children issue". In other words, "the food was great but the psycho 10-year old convinced me to never come back again." or something like that.

Posted by: Attach a file ()
Date: August 11, 2011 08:57PM

1320 Club. Great meals. Good beer selection. Not a kid in place.

Posted by: Amen ()
Date: August 11, 2011 09:23PM

Date: August 10, 2011 11:06PM

It doesn't stop with the little sh*ts acting up at a restaurant or an airport terminal. Try being on an airplane hearing constant screams and getting your seat kicked for FOUR F*CKING HOURS! Stop trying to be your kid's BFF and start being a damn parent.

AND it doesn't stop if they live over you in a condominium or next door in a townhouse where the parents feel that their 2 year old kids have the right to run freely constantly while disturbing a student while doing homework or disrupting your home environment on a daily basis. Parental skills are seriously lacking in today's society, not with all parents but with many....These types of parents have absolutely no idea the actual harm they are doing to their children and the repercussions that can be brought onto them. Karma will kick them in their asses one day and it could be sooner than later. There are parents that need to grow up and use common courtesy sense!

Date: August 11, 2011 09:32PM

Off-topic, but for every experience I've had with bratty kids in a restaurant, I've had one one with obnoxious adults: talking/laughing too loudly, talking on cell phone continuously, just general annoying or obnoxious behavior that detracts from my meal. While I agree that kids can be annoying -- fucking annoying -- many times in restaurants, many adults who *should* know how to behave in public behave like complete selfish assholes and don't give a shit about anyone else.

Date: August 11, 2011 09:42PM

Replace that Sonic shake with a bottle of Wild Turkey and I might survive that flight haha

Posted by: Agree ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:01PM

many adults who *should* know how to behave in public behave like complete selfish assholes and don't give a shit about anyone else.
Could not agree more and these are probably the parents that are raising their kids to be the same way..........

Posted by: BigK12 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:00AM

or maybe we should do this...

Man slaps a stranger’s screaming baby in Wal-Mart
http://www.inquisitr.com/35612/man-slaps-a-strangers-screaming-baby-in-wal-mart/

Anyone who’s had to shop at Wal-Mart knows that a cacophony of screeching babies is part of the tapestry of America’s most gigantic retailer.

A South Carolina man decided he wasn’t going to stand by quietly and allow the child to persist in ruining his otherwise pleasant Wal-Mart shopping experience. After threatening the child’s mother, he slapped the 2-year-old girl “four or five times” across the face.

Sonya Mathews, the mother of the 2-year-old child, told police that both were walking in the aisles of the Rockbridge Road store when Roger Stephens, 61, approached and said “if you don’t shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you,” according to a police report.

A few moments later, in another aisle, Stephens grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her across the face four or five times, according to the report.

Stephens then told Mathews, “See, I told you I would shut her up,” according to the report.

According to reports, Mathews was detained by a bystander until police arrived. When questioned, the 61-year-old man explained that while he had indeed slapped a strange baby across the face, he apologized to her mother afterwards. He was still booked for felony cruelty to children.
Attachments:
man-slaps-baby-in-walmart.jpg

Posted by: ignorance ()
Date: August 15, 2011 01:22PM

Couldnt agree more. While I do agree that jerk ass kids are very annoying in restaurants, however it does make it hard for those that have well behaved kids and rarely eat out. My wife and I take my son who is 4 to restaurants rarely and have raised him well so that he behaves. If He doesnt see ya no more restaurant. Parents need to let go of this you"re okay I'm okay hippie crap...kids need to learn limits. Now with that said half the assholes mouthing off about kids in restuarnts on this one are the same assholes you find at the local watering hole telling everyone around them their 2 cents on the economy, sports, cars, and women. The same assholes that everyone else at the bar want to say STFU or I will shut you up. Think about your words and actions before my 4 year old beats your ass. I love the #1 People will stay longer and order more drinks if their werent kids around...why alcoholics dont like an audience.
#2 Not good tippers....really my wife and I both waited tables and tip generously cause we've been there and pick up after our kid as well.
#3 Adult meals are more money than kids...what an assclown really do u think so?!
Santinis is an assclown. If it is a fancy restaurant parents should know better but if they have to take little johnny or sally along than lay ground rules and if they act up those parents should be prepared to pay the bill and leave. Nugh said.

Posted by: debate junkie ()
Date: August 15, 2011 01:36PM

Really this goes to show how those parents (lack of) discipline their children. I teach mine about respect and being courteous to others, especially when in public.

Also I teach mine about chivalry. Its funny to see a youngster talking under his breath about how loud or noisy other kids are, as if they are rudely disturbing his meal time.

Parents with no control over their children are the same ones who bitch later on about their delinquent child flunking out of school, getting knocked up at 15, and then being hooked to smack by 18.

I believe that business owners have the right to ask parents to shut their kid up or please pay the bill and leave. Not all kids are dumber than stone or are rude little shit heads.

Posted by: anon24689 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 01:50PM

ignorance Wrote:
half the assholes
> mouthing off about kids in restuarnts on this one
> are the same assholes you find at the local
> watering hole telling everyone around them their 2
> cents on the economy, sports, cars, and women.

AMEN! It's disturbing seeing how many so-called "adults" have to put down little children to feel better about themselves. They claim they are angry at the parents but they are really taking it out on little children.

Posted by: anon43795 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 01:56PM

I love the posts on here from parents who praise themselves for their wonderful parenting skills, only to turn around and say, "if they's were my youngin's , I'd beat they ass!" Oh really? Well look out because those obnoxious kids at the restaurant are going to kick the crap out of your kids one day on the school yard, and your kids will be well-trained to take every bit of it.

Posted by: Ignorance ()
Date: August 15, 2011 02:13PM

Never said beat the crap out your kids that is just pure stupidity. Talk to your kids and teach them respect and if they do not behave you take something away from them like leaving the restaurant. Obnoxious kids regardless need to taught limits and discipline not physical but verbal. Watch out cause those kids that beat the crap out of kids on the playground have a wonderful place for them to get their obnoxious aggression out....it's called prison. It's great cause I teach my kid to behave in public and I point out the obnoxious, playground beaters and say son that's what you dont want to become. Then I tell him when and if they mouth off to you then you have permission to beat their ass with their own shoes. Have children and raise them before you put in 2 cents.

Posted by: anon43795b ()
Date: August 16, 2011 10:16AM

Ignorance Wrote:
> Never said beat the crap out your kids that is
> just pure stupidity.

I wasn't referring to your post. Calm down.

Ignorance Wrote:
> Talk to your kids and teach them respect and if they do not behave you take something away from them like leaving the restaurant.

I know. I was agreeing with you in the post before that one. (I am also anon24689).

Ignorance Wrote:
>Have children and raise them before you put in 2 cents.

Done. I have a 9-year old, well-behaved little boy who's been in karate for the past 3 years and knows how to handle himself during a confrontation.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.