HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Elizabeth Schultz quals
Posted by: Not Elizabeth Schultz ()
Date: July 04, 2011 10:06PM

Okay, I checked the bio. No education experience, her actual education seemingly only through high school. Trying to determine why she feels qualified for the School Board? Beside her sticking up for her elementary school, I see nothing.

One thing I did notice. Childhood obesity and overweight Americans are a serious issue in the US. It seems the Schultz family is doing their part to contribute to companies treating people with diabetes.

Not impressed. At all. Who is her opponent?
Attachments:
schultz.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elizabeth Schultz quals
Posted by: miken ()
Date: July 04, 2011 10:11PM

Would you plow her? It would take 6 or 7 for me to consider....

Posted by: Met & Liked ()
Date: July 04, 2011 11:37PM

at the OHECA parade, from her website she's a JMU grad with plenty of experience. Don't understand what your problem is, other than being mean. Well, maybe that is your problem.

anyway, she's got our family's vote.

As a former Senior Manager of Contracts and Negotiation professional, she has served in the federal, nonprofit and private sectors for Fortune 200 companies and federal contractors in the areas of asset management, information technology and global education. She has also been an entrepreneur and small business owner/consultant.

Community

Raised in a military family, Elizabeth lived in Fairfax County frequently throughout her childhood, attending both parochial and Fairfax County Public Schools. She has been a resident in Northern Virginia for over 25 years, living in Chantilly, Fairfax, Centreville and now Clifton.

She has served on the Southwestern Youth Association (SYA) Executive Board for Lacrosse since 2008, has actively raised funds for community endeavours, including youth sports, families in need, Hurricane Katrina victims and INOVA Fairfax Hospital for Children and holds two degrees from James Madison University.

http://www.elizabethschultzforschoolboard.com/content/bio.php

Posted by: West Springfield ()
Date: July 05, 2011 07:57AM

Met & Liked Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> at the OHECA parade, from her website she's a JMU
> grad with plenty of experience. Don't understand
> what your problem is, other than being mean. Well,
> maybe that is your problem.
>
> anyway, she's got our family's vote.
>
>
> As a former Senior Manager of Contracts and
> Negotiation professional, she has served in the
> federal, nonprofit and private sectors for Fortune
> 200 companies and federal contractors in the areas
> of asset management, information technology and
> global education. She has also been an
> entrepreneur and small business owner/consultant.
>
> Community
>
> Raised in a military family, Elizabeth lived in
> Fairfax County frequently throughout her
> childhood, attending both parochial and Fairfax
> County Public Schools. She has been a resident in
> Northern Virginia for over 25 years, living in
> Chantilly, Fairfax, Centreville and now Clifton.
>
> She has served on the Southwestern Youth
> Association (SYA) Executive Board for Lacrosse
> since 2008, has actively raised funds for
> community endeavours, including youth sports,
> families in need, Hurricane Katrina victims and
> INOVA Fairfax Hospital for Children and holds two
> degrees from James Madison University.
>
> http://www.elizabethschultzforschoolboard.com/cont
> ent/bio.php

+1

PLUS...even if she had no degree and no education experience why should that disqualify her or anyone? All of the education and experience in the world does not make one a good elected leader. Just look aroound.

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: July 05, 2011 08:14AM

I'd certainly let her blow me after a drink or two.
She and her family could stand to lose a few pounds for sure.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 05, 2011 11:35AM

I will be voting for her for the sole reason of countering the idiot poster of this thread with stupid personal attacks. The only parties who would do such a thing this far ahead of an election are likely her election opponents, I can't imagine an educated person with a life and job coming here and posting that.

Posted by: mmoore ()
Date: July 05, 2011 01:35PM

All reasons to vote for her:

No educ experience (thank god)
JMU grad (not GMU implant)
public, private and non profit experience
military upbringing
has more courage than anyone else on these threads

She has my vote.

Posted by: Military ()
Date: July 05, 2011 04:53PM

She was in the military? Or she was a military brat?

If only a dependent, WTF does that have to do with her qualifications?

I have a lot of admiration for those serving while we fight in endless wars. I abhor those who didn't serve and try to jump on the military coat-tails.

Posted by: dudette ()
Date: July 05, 2011 09:58PM

mmoore Wrote:
> All reasons to vote for her:
>
> No educ experience (thank god)
> JMU grad (not GMU implant)
> public, private and non profit experience
> military upbringing
> has more courage than anyone else on these
> threads
>
> She has my vote.

just out of curiosity, why is "no educ experience" a reason to vote for her for a school board position? i was always of the school of thought (no pun intended) that school board officials should have some education experience in order to make good decisions regarding schools?

Posted by: Proud Military Mom ()
Date: July 05, 2011 09:58PM

http://afps.dodlive.mil/2011/04/01/month-of-the-military-child-kids-serve-too/

Children who grow up in military families don't ride any coattails.
That is a miserable thing to say and means you have zero understanding of .

I met her and found her charming and well-versed on several issues we discussed.

Whatever your point, I don't think you will find much support here. We like people who understand families who must transfer in and out of the area. It's a positive in our home.

3 votes in our military household.

Posted by: Mom of SpecialEd kids ()
Date: July 05, 2011 10:07PM

mmoore Wrote:
> All reasons to vote for her:
>
> No educ experience (thank god)
> JMU grad (not GMU implant)
> public, private and non profit experience
> military upbringing
> has more courage than anyone else on these
> threads
>
> She has my vote.

I agree. Plus she'll be at all those School Board meetings and work sessions, so she can ignore her kids and family. Her kids will likely benefit from less of her parental involvement.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 06, 2011 11:57AM

She used to conduct the National Symphony Orchestra durring the summers and other off times for the regular conductor. Now she has her own orchestra and they are pretty good.

http://www.flagstaffsymphony.org/about_conductor.php

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Posted by: FCPSMomofTwo ()
Date: July 06, 2011 10:10PM

she has my vote - ignore the people on this thread who have nothing of substance to write. I have seen her testify before the school board, I have seen her editorials, I have seen her work TIRELESSLY for her kids and her community. She is extremely bright, articulate and willing to STAND UP TO DALE AND THE BOARD. She got guts folks. November can't some soon enough...

Posted by: FCPSMomofTwo ()
Date: July 06, 2011 10:15PM

you obviously haven't met her - she is extremely articulate and bright and knows the school system inside and out. I know because I'm a veteran. What makes Stu Gibson qualified? or Janie Grandma Strauss or Illyong Moon qualified? It is time for fresh blood and to get rid of the incompetent school board members who are all about POLITICAL GAIN and don't care about our kids....

Posted by: Ranger Bruce ()
Date: July 07, 2011 04:45PM

Proud Military Mom Wrote:
> http://afps.dodlive.mil/2011/04/01/month-of-the-mi
> litary-child-kids-serve-too/
>
> 3 votes in our military household.

You one of those dependapotamuses I see in the Commisary carrying an ACU purse with your friggin POG husband's rank and nametape on it? Got one of those Army Spouse Proudly Serving bumper stickers? While spouses and kids have it tough, they aren't serving and generally have no idea what it means to do so. I only add generally due to some spouses being vets. If the Army wanted us to have family it would have issued us one.

Now get back in the kitchen and make some sammiches.

Posted by: kdoubleddddd ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:00PM

my dad is an O6 in the navy but that doesn't mean i'm cool. i am cool but i never sacraficed anything. we moved a lot but i got to see a lot. what does being a spouse or a child of a solider have to do with anything??? i know 100s of soliders, spouses, and military brats that are lame. i respect the military service but that does not mean you get my vote. Everyone needs to vote for Ron Paul, though.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:15PM

kdoubleddddd Wrote:
> my dad is an O6 in the navy but that doesn't mean
> i'm cool. i am cool but i never sacraficed
> anything. we moved a lot but i got to see a lot.
> what does being a spouse or a child of a solider
> have to do with anything??? i know 100s of
> soliders, spouses, and military brats that are
> lame. i respect the military service but that
> does not mean you get my vote. Everyone needs to
> vote for Ron Paul, though.

Some people take the opportunity to inflate their self-worth by shoving out there constantly how patriotic and "REAL AMERICAN" they are and we should seriously listen to their opinions simply because there's someone in the military in their family.

Date: July 07, 2011 05:37PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> She used to conduct the National Symphony
> Orchestra durring the summers and other off times
> for the regular conductor. Now she has her own
> orchestra and they are pretty good.
>
> http://www.flagstaffsymphony.org/about_conductor.p
> hp

I also learned from the link that the original thread poster can't spell her name right. When questioning suitability for making decisions about schools, it really helps to spell the topic of your idiocy correctly.

Posted by: Ranger Bruce ()
Date: July 11, 2011 04:29PM

Good job attacking the messenger, but noticed you had nothing to offer regarding her qualifications for the school board.

The position is important; decisions impact the quality of education, the county economy, the future of our children, and even home values. I want to see someone on the board who is qualified beyond an ability to stick up for Clifton and a hatred for the current board.

Date: July 11, 2011 05:50PM

Actually there isn't really that much more to qualify someone. There are people sitting on the board that went in with fewer qualifications that no one has a problem with. I'd say you go run against her if you think she's so lousy, but the personal attackers in this thread probably are running against her and hiding behind an anonymous forum. Those complaining about no transparency in the school board are hiding and conducting their public attacks anonymously here, isn't that great?

Posted by: Know and dislike ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:01PM

She is totally qualified. She cant get along with her own neighbors and can start a fight in an empty room.

Posted by: Gal Pal ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:44AM

I'm an actual neighbor and she is super. She helps others, is friendly and lets people ride and walk through her property. Their whole family is kind and good people.

Posted by: notsayin ()
Date: July 14, 2011 12:50PM

justsayin Wrote:
> Actually there isn't really that much more to
> qualify someone.

So she has no quals beyond having kids. Thanks for clearing that up

Posted by: hammerhead10 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 07:33PM

Schultz is a hack, she's trying to turn a great school system upside down in order to please a bunch of tea party wankers. She doesn't have to work to hard to convince her idiot followers that they have to take a great school system and turn it into crap, teach creationism as science, re-write history to suit their political agenda, that kind of absolute nonsense that has no place in education. Fortunately, rational and thinking people see right through this BS.

Wtf Springfield? You must be out of your minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 10:47AM by hammerhead10.

Posted by: kpo ()
Date: October 18, 2013 11:42PM

Schultz is totally ineffective. Her and Megan thought they were going to stroll in there and push Grandma Strauss and Smith around.

Has she won a motion yet? Hell, her and Meg even lost the Woodson Island vote. Historically, the Board has deferred to their colleagues when it only affects that member's district. Nope, the rest of the Board is against these two upstarts.

Posted by: facts please ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:07PM

Schultz has serious personal issues. She can't win a vote or motion on the Board, her resume is misleading and hasn't worked for over 20+ years. She sold jewelry from her home by having parties at people's houses.

Her qualifications to run were ego driven and her issue was reopening Clifton ES which she knew nothing about how to make that happen. She doesn't show up for meetings, is late to Board meetings, and misses school events. The SB staff covers for her because they have to.

She has been left out to dry on the Board and has misconstrued the truth. Some would say that is equivalent to being a liar.

Posted by: sol ()
Date: October 20, 2013 02:17PM

I am a parent and she totally did not respond to the questions in our PTA meeting.
She was late and tried to dodge questions with the use of her noted vocabulary. She talks a great game but I see little else. Wish she would represent her constituents instead of her Clifton folks.

Little substance with Elizabeth, just a whole lot of empty words.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: October 20, 2013 08:42PM

She said we'd get our school back, but CES is still closed. >:-(

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: SOL ()
Date: October 21, 2013 07:24AM

Also, good luck trying getting in touch with her, she never returns emails and you will never get an answer from her on an issue. I think she ran on one issue now and her "quals" don't add up.

Posted by: SpeedFx187 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 02:04PM

I'm new to the area. When I moved to Fairfax County and started paying taxes, my reaction was "Damn, taxes are very high around here!"

I've been researching and studying Fairfax County for well over a month. I think I've watched about 10+ hours of videos of FCPS school board meetings. Particularly, the Work Study no. 32 Budget meeting discussion their plans to cut spending to cover the projected $140 million budget shortfall that's expected next year. (Oct. 21, 2013 Part 1: http://www.ebmcdn.net/fcps/fcps_video_viewer.php?viewnode=dd3b33ea4e9b5 and Part 2: http://www.ebmcdn.net/fcps/fcps_video_viewer.php?viewnode=e7c9fe7f63b13)

Of all the people on the school board, Elizabeth Shultz had the MOST recommendations. If you listen and watch the video linked above, the other board members had about 2-3 recommendations at most. Shultz had at least TWO DOZEN recommendations. This woman doesn't seem to mess around when it comes to cutting costs. Her bio says she's a "taxpayer advocate" and it SHOWED. (Bio: http://www.fcps.edu/schlbd/members/springfield.shtml)

I don't live in the Springfield District; I'm in the Mt. Vernon district. Even though I can't vote for her, she's got my support as a campaign volunteer or donor for a re-election if she decides to stay in office. But that's not gonna happen till the end of 2015.. so I'll wait and see..

I'm optimistic.. I like her!

Date: October 31, 2013 04:31PM

Sure she can say she won't support higher taxes, etc. and talk about matters that would hit residents hard. However she can't win a vote on that Board and therefore can't support her residents. Her job is to help her residents get what they need, she can't do that with her ego always getting in the way and glorifying her position.

If she alienates the rest of the members she is useless on the Board as she can't get a majority to get the needs of her constituents passed.

Your Board member in Mt. Vernon does this quite well look at those south county schools and the money funneled into Rt 1.

She has no quals. Suggest you go back to the film.

Date: October 31, 2013 05:08PM

facts please Wrote:
> Sure she can say she won't support higher taxes,
> etc. and talk about matters that would hit
> residents hard. However she can't win a vote on
> that Board and therefore can't support her
> residents. Her job is to help her residents get
> what they need, she can't do that with her ego
> always getting in the way and glorifying her
> position.
>
> If she alienates the rest of the members she is
> useless on the Board as she can't get a majority
> to get the needs of her constituents passed.
>
> Your Board member in Mt. Vernon does this quite
> well look at those south county schools and the
> money funneled into Rt 1.
>
> She has no quals. Suggest you go back to the
> film.

The rest of the board, with the exception of about 2 others similar to her, are tax-and-spend Democrats who say and do almost exactly the same things. They come from strong Democrat districts that defeat Republicans by at least 15-20 point margins. I'm not saying that the School Board would be better off if it were all Republican... I don't believe that.. I beleive in balance.. But the School Board is made up of mostly Democrats who want to throw money at problems.

If you want an elected official who stands up for the taxpayer, then she's one of the few friends you got.

If you want an elected official who says, "Yea.. your taxes are high as the sky.. and there's not much I can do about that... I guess I should just play along with the rest of the tax-and-spend members of the school board so I can make my district's "wedge" on the "pie chart" a little bigger... and BRING HOME THE BACON", then.. SHE IS NOT FOR YOU... In the 2016 election, vote for the Democrat who runs against her.. That person will bring money into your district... but don't expect those local taxes to go down.. if anything.. they'll go up...

Date: October 31, 2013 06:38PM

Hey SpeedFX187

Cut the crap and look at how things get done in the political environment. The Springfield District has crap because they got a windbag for a SB member. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder.

She has no quals and you are living with "rose colored glasses" my friend.

Date: October 31, 2013 06:48PM

Your previous message stated that she's failing to get Springfield District the resources they need. What exactly do they need that she's able to provide through a School Board that needs to cut $140 million next year to keep it's budget balanced?

Please explain in detail so I can see through my "rose colored glasses"..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 06:48PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 05, 2013 11:05AM

Wow, taxes are high and education is not a good investment for our tax dollars. Better think about a career other than public school teacher if you want to make it in this county, Speed. How about tea party politician? or, better yet, tea party school board member? It's a part time gig, you can be late to meetings, throw your weight around about how you perceive other people are making a huge living at your expense, and paint yourself as effective when you're really not. Ask Ms. Schultz, she's making a part time income doing just that.

See you after I vote Yes on the $250 million dollar school bond referendum question today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 11:06AM by hammerhead10.

Date: November 05, 2013 01:10PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> Wow, taxes are high and education is not a good
> investment for our tax dollars. Better think about
> a career other than public school teacher if you
> want to make it in this county, Speed. How about
> tea party politician? or, better yet, tea party
> school board member? It's a part time gig, you can
> be late to meetings, throw your weight around
> about how you perceive other people are making a
> huge living at your expense, and paint yourself as
> effective when you're really not. Ask Ms. Schultz,
> she's making a part time income doing just that.
>
> See you after I vote Yes on the $250 million
> dollar school bond referendum question today.

How am I a "tea party teacher" or "tea party politician"? Please explain?

How am I a radical by suggesting that education costs can be streamlined by having students serve 1-2 hours a week in community volunteerism through a work-study program (as I suggested on another post that we talked on). How is that idea different from FDR's Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression? How is me suggesting an idea that's similar to the most popular New Deal program make me a "tea party politician"?

That's funny considering FDR is villified by Tea Party activists. I'm suggesting a work-study idea similar to FDR'S New Deal program, the Civilian Conservation Corps, and you're suggesting that I'm a Tea Party radical because of that...

(the work-study program I suggested on another post is here: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1342541/1353619.html#msg-1353619)

PS: Where and when did I ever say, or suggest, that education spending is a waste of our tax dollars? WASTEFUL SPENDING on education is a waste of tax dollars; however not all education spending is wasteful. Most of the waste is in upper-admin management. Efficiencies can be found in transportation and infrastructure/maintenance costs. I talked about that in the link above. My concerns also echo the Fairfax Federation of Teacher and Fairfax Education Association when they talk about not cutting teacher's pay, and instead eliminate "fluff" and "wasteful spending" in other areas. How am I a "tea party hack" for making suggestions that parallel the concerns of two teacher's associations that generally support Democrats, and suggesting a volunteer program for students to cover some of their education costs that isn't much different from FDR's Civilian Conservation Corps or Federal Government funded work-study program that college students utilize.

Teachers like yourself say that "kids these days are lazy and undisciplined" and I'm a "Tea Party hack" for suggesting that they volunteer 1-2 hours a week to cover education costs so they can learn how to not be lazy...

SMH...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 01:22PM by SpeedFx187.

Date: November 05, 2013 02:46PM

I'm not a teacher, I'm a taxpayer, a tax payer paying taxes at a pretty significant rate in this county Perhaps I got that idea about you from your support of Ms. Schultz, who IS nothing more than a hack with a political ax to grind. Streamlining costs is good, I've gone over that in several posts, you start with every contract and you eliminate every bit of waste that you possibly can, you turn purchasing upside down and you make certain, in going forward, that you don't enter into expensive, money sucking contracts with vendors. I'm not opposed to some kind of audit scenario to keep that in check. I'm not opposed to your work-study idea either, it makes sense. Believe me there are parents who will scream bloody murder at the idea of having to pay $100 to $150 per student for an after school program. To many of them, this shit is free, yet, these are the same fools who bitch about people with advanced degrees making a living wage in Fairfax County. I'm with you on the fees, if they can't do this, then, get rid of the programs.

Thanks for enlightening me on some of your ideas, I must admit, that I've been hearing a bit too much of the "Burn the whole place to the ground" mentality and, I'm sick of it, sorry to lump you into that category, my mistake. Don't expect parents to embrace the fees idea. As I said, they think those things should be free, just like the free day care that FCPS provides for all day kindergarten, which, btw, should be one of the first freebies eliminated. These people can pay for their own day care just like everyone else. Holy shit, are you sure you want to be a math teacher? Do you know what your starting salary is going to look like and the amount of hours you're going to put in? Oh yeah, these people think you work less than an 8 hour day and get your summers off. Believe me, it's nothing like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 02:48PM by hammerhead10.

Date: November 05, 2013 04:23PM

hammerhead10 Wrote:
> I'm not a teacher, I'm a taxpayer, a tax payer
> paying taxes at a pretty significant rate in this
> county Perhaps I got that idea about you from your
> support of Ms. Schultz, who IS nothing more than a
> hack with a political ax to grind. Streamlining
> costs is good, I've gone over that in several
> posts, you start with every contract and you
> eliminate every bit of waste that you possibly
> can, you turn purchasing upside down and you make
> certain, in going forward, that you don't enter
> into expensive, money sucking contracts with
> vendors. I'm not opposed to some kind of audit
> scenario to keep that in check. I'm not opposed to
> your work-study idea either, it makes sense.
> Believe me there are parents who will scream
> bloody murder at the idea of having to pay $100 to
> $150 per student for an after school program. To
> many of them, this shit is free, yet, these are
> the same fools who bitch about people with
> advanced degrees making a living wage in Fairfax
> County. I'm with you on the fees, if they can't do
> this, then, get rid of the programs.
>
> Thanks for enlightening me on some of your ideas,
> I must admit, that I've been hearing a bit too
> much of the "Burn the whole place to the ground"
> mentality and, I'm sick of it, sorry to lump you
> into that category, my mistake. Don't expect
> parents to embrace the fees idea. As I said, they
> think those things should be free, just like the
> free day care that FCPS provides for all day
> kindergarten, which, btw, should be one of the
> first freebies eliminated. These people can pay
> for their own day care just like everyone else.
> Holy shit, are you sure you want to be a math
> teacher? Do you know what your starting salary is
> going to look like and the amount of hours you're
> going to put in? Oh yeah, these people think you
> work less than an 8 hour day and get your summers
> off. Believe me, it's nothing like that.

I apologize for assuming you were a teacher. You didn't directly say you were a teacher in the other post where we talked. But I somehow misinterpreted one or two of your statements that somehow made me believe you were a teacher. Again I apologize...

I also accept your apology for lumping me into a "political class" that simply says, "Burn the whole place to the ground" by slashing an X% of funding off the top of budgets without any concern for the negative societal effects that causes.

I share the same ideas you do about streamlining costs that you shared above. The school budget is like 300+ pound obese person who needs to be put on a diet plan. A "tea party radical" may feel compeled to say "I can' make the person 25% lighter by amputating his legs!" Sure, that will make the person lighter, but he also has a new problem of not being able to walk. That's analagous to their approach to eductation budgets, "This education budget is too bloated, I'm cutting 25% off the top without any real concern about the negative effects."

A moderate official who wants to cut 25% of the person's weight would address the underlying structural lifestyle problems that's causing the person to be 300+ pounds overweight. They put the person on a diet and fitness plan; and maybe consider liposuction. That requires a lot of hard work with great focus. The same is true with the education budget, it takes a lot of intense work to put an immense organization, like FCPS, with hundreds of thousands of people, with dozens of programs, under a magnifying glass and examine exactly how it works and what it's doing, and then find out ways how to modify it in a manner that stremlines costs by 25% and keeps quality of service either equal to or greater than its previous state.

I'm sure I want to be a math teacher because I love math and children. I'm completely aware that I'm not going to make tons of money teaching math. I know that going into the profession. The FCPS teacher's pay scale is made public. The first five years, with a masters degree, I will make 40-50K. Significant pay increases happen after 10 years; if I stay that long. I'll make JUST ENOUGH money to put a roof over my head, food on the table, and clothes on my back. The upside of a math degree is that it's highly marketable. If I do my five years and decide I need more money, and can't get it being a public school teacher, then there's tons of other professions where people with math degrees can work.

I've done 8+ years in the military, and I already know what it's like to work hard and receive little appreciation from some people. That's just life! All I can do it continue to fight for who I am, and what I believe in, and eventually things will turn where they need to turn.

About Elizabeth Shultz, she appears to be one of three people who are willing to make education costs more efficient. Some of her suggestions appeared to be actual cuts. I'm not of the view that EVERYTHING she says or does is perfect. I mentioned in previous comment on this post that "I believe in balance" when saying that I think it's a bad idea to have all Republicans or all Democrats on the school board. However, a majority of the school board is made up of Democrats who appear to believe that every penny FCPS spends is precious and cannot be touched. There are Democrats on the school board who appear serious about streamlining costs without reducing quality. I'm seeing that in Megan McLaughlin from Braddock District for example. While Mrs. Shultz's ideas of cost saving may appear radical, she's easily moderated, if not completely diluted, by the rest of the board. In meetings and negotiations, sometimes people have to aim for 100 miles in order to gain 1 mile. That's what I'm seeing with Mrs. Shultz. Although, a school board filled with 12 people exactly like Mrs. Shultz would be dangerous.

Ryan McElveen, Member At Large, is an example of Democrat who's not thinking in the direction of the previously mentioned people at all. I heard not one substantial comment in budget meetings to address costs. His only big idea is a 4% "food tax" to help cover costs.

Posted by: St.Peter ()
Date: December 10, 2013 07:11PM

And some how she won. and she's a Republican

Posted by: McElweeny ()
Date: December 10, 2013 11:20PM

SpeedFx187 Wrote:
> hammerhead10 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm not a teacher, I'm a taxpayer, a tax payer
> > paying taxes at a pretty significant rate in
> this
> > county Perhaps I got that idea about you from
> your
> > support of Ms. Schultz, who IS nothing more than
> a
> > hack with a political ax to grind. Streamlining
> > costs is good, I've gone over that in several
> > posts, you start with every contract and you
> > eliminate every bit of waste that you possibly
> > can, you turn purchasing upside down and you
> make
> > certain, in going forward, that you don't enter
> > into expensive, money sucking contracts with
> > vendors. I'm not opposed to some kind of audit
> > scenario to keep that in check. I'm not opposed
> to
> > your work-study idea either, it makes sense.
> > Believe me there are parents who will scream
> > bloody murder at the idea of having to pay $100
> to
> > $150 per student for an after school program.
> To
> > many of them, this shit is free, yet, these are
> > the same fools who bitch about people with
> > advanced degrees making a living wage in
> Fairfax
> > County. I'm with you on the fees, if they can't
> do
> > this, then, get rid of the programs.
> >
> > Thanks for enlightening me on some of your
> ideas,
> > I must admit, that I've been hearing a bit too
> > much of the "Burn the whole place to the
> ground"
> > mentality and, I'm sick of it, sorry to lump
> you
> > into that category, my mistake. Don't expect
> > parents to embrace the fees idea. As I said,
> they
> > think those things should be free, just like
> the
> > free day care that FCPS provides for all day
> > kindergarten, which, btw, should be one of the
> > first freebies eliminated. These people can pay
> > for their own day care just like everyone else.
> > Holy shit, are you sure you want to be a math
> > teacher? Do you know what your starting salary
> is
> > going to look like and the amount of hours
> you're
> > going to put in? Oh yeah, these people think
> you
> > work less than an 8 hour day and get your
> summers
> > off. Believe me, it's nothing like that.
>
> I apologize for assuming you were a teacher. You
> didn't directly say you were a teacher in the
> other post where we talked. But I somehow
> misinterpreted one or two of your statements that
> somehow made me believe you were a teacher. Again
> I apologize...
>
> I also accept your apology for lumping me into a
> "political class" that simply says, "Burn the
> whole place to the ground" by slashing an X% of
> funding off the top of budgets without any concern
> for the negative societal effects that causes.
>
> I share the same ideas you do about streamlining
> costs that you shared above. The school budget is
> like 300+ pound obese person who needs to be put
> on a diet plan. A "tea party radical" may feel
> compeled to say "I can' make the person 25%
> lighter by amputating his legs!" Sure, that will
> make the person lighter, but he also has a new
> problem of not being able to walk. That's
> analagous to their approach to eductation budgets,
> "This education budget is too bloated, I'm cutting
> 25% off the top without any real concern about the
> negative effects."
>
> A moderate official who wants to cut 25% of the
> person's weight would address the underlying
> structural lifestyle problems that's causing the
> person to be 300+ pounds overweight. They put the
> person on a diet and fitness plan; and maybe
> consider liposuction. That requires a lot of hard
> work with great focus. The same is true with the
> education budget, it takes a lot of intense work
> to put an immense organization, like FCPS, with
> hundreds of thousands of people, with dozens of
> programs, under a magnifying glass and examine
> exactly how it works and what it's doing, and then
> find out ways how to modify it in a manner that
> stremlines costs by 25% and keeps quality of
> service either equal to or greater than its
> previous state.
>
> I'm sure I want to be a math teacher because I
> love math and children. I'm completely aware that
> I'm not going to make tons of money teaching math.
> I know that going into the profession. The FCPS
> teacher's pay scale is made public. The first
> five years, with a masters degree, I will make
> 40-50K. Significant pay increases happen after 10
> years; if I stay that long. I'll make JUST ENOUGH
> money to put a roof over my head, food on the
> table, and clothes on my back. The upside of a
> math degree is that it's highly marketable. If I
> do my five years and decide I need more money, and
> can't get it being a public school teacher, then
> there's tons of other professions where people
> with math degrees can work.
>
> I've done 8+ years in the military, and I already
> know what it's like to work hard and receive
> little appreciation from some people. That's just
> life! All I can do it continue to fight for who I
> am, and what I believe in, and eventually things
> will turn where they need to turn.
>
> About Elizabeth Shultz, she appears to be one of
> three people who are willing to make education
> costs more efficient. Some of her suggestions
> appeared to be actual cuts. I'm not of the view
> that EVERYTHING she says or does is perfect. I
> mentioned in previous comment on this post that "I
> believe in balance" when saying that I think it's
> a bad idea to have all Republicans or all
> Democrats on the school board. However, a
> majority of the school board is made up of
> Democrats who appear to believe that every penny
> FCPS spends is precious and cannot be touched.
> There are Democrats on the school board who appear
> serious about streamlining costs without reducing
> quality. I'm seeing that in Megan McLaughlin from
> Braddock District for example. While Mrs.
> Shultz's ideas of cost saving may appear radical,
> she's easily moderated, if not completely diluted,
> by the rest of the board. In meetings and
> negotiations, sometimes people have to aim for 100
> miles in order to gain 1 mile. That's what I'm
> seeing with Mrs. Shultz. Although, a school board
> filled with 12 people exactly like Mrs. Shultz
> would be dangerous.
>
> Ryan McElveen, Member At Large, is an example of
> Democrat who's not thinking in the direction of
> the previously mentioned people at all. I heard
> not one substantial comment in budget meetings to
> address costs. His only big idea is a 4% "food
> tax" to help cover costs.

That's because he sucks. He's like a new dog in the neighborhood: got to piss on every fire hydrant, mailbox, shrubbery and anything else just to leave his mark. What was his big idea since election? Oh yeah, removing soda machines from something like 5 high schools. Wow, I can see the kids getting skinny right before my eyes.

His next big idea? Get rid of the SOL and replace it with PISA. Sure, nobody likes the SOLs, especially if you hear the teacher bitch about having to teach to something that they'll be held accountable for, but PISA? I doubt one in one hundred FFXU readers even knows what that is. And I don't mean the famous city in Italy, either.

Posted by: trollintrollintrollin ()
Date: February 20, 2014 03:25PM

facts please Wrote:
> Hey SpeedFX187
>
> Cut the crap and look at how things get done in
> the political environment. The Springfield
> District has crap because they got a windbag for a
> SB member. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder.
>
> She has no quals and you are living with "rose
> colored glasses" my friend.

follow some of his threads, good luck getting SpeedFX187 to cut the crap and look at reality. He can't see that Schultz is nothing but an ineffective anti-tax whiner on the School Board.

Date: February 20, 2014 03:37PM

miken Wrote:
> Would you plow her? It would take 6 or 7 for me
> to consider....

Fuck it. I say 3-4

Posted by: Waiting for quals ()
Date: February 20, 2014 03:38PM

Schultz ran for revenge on Clifton ES, she had no opposition in her district. She does not respond to emails, does not show up to meetings on time, cancels meetings on a whim and is difficult to work with.

She is a person with an ego and marvels in an appearance of being highly educated. She has not worked in years, knew very little about the public school system as she sent her kids to private school at one time before enrolling several years ago in public school.

She won due to money, no legit opponent and people like Herrity, Hugo, etc. She can't get a motion passed to save her life and she needs to go.

SHE HAS DONE NOTHING TO SUPPORT SPRINGFIELD RESIDENTS.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.