HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
anybody here use studded winter tires? (Nokian Hakkapalitta, for example)
Posted by: Pascha ()
Date: December 06, 2007 06:55PM

anybody here use studded winter tires? (Nokian Hakkapalitta, for example)

I didn't realize they were legal for use in Virginia, during winter months...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anybody here use studded winter tires? (Nokian Hakkapalitta, for example)
Posted by: Price ()
Date: December 06, 2007 10:06PM

For like 2 days of snow each year that melts by afternoon? Waste of $$

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 06, 2007 10:16PM

if it's so snowy you need such tires, what the fuck are you doing out on the road?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: December 06, 2007 11:51PM

What about winter tires that aren't studded? I think it might be cheaper and better to use winter tires instead of 4WD or AWD for someone with a job they can't miss on every snow day. On the other hand, since it only snows a few times, the winter tires would wear down quickly if you used them all winter.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: December 07, 2007 10:07AM

Something you should know before you drive on the highways...

ยง 46.2-1044. Cleats, etc., on tires; chains; tires with studs.

No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, spike, or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire. It shall be permissible, however, to use on the highways farm machinery having protuberances which will not injure the highway and to use tire chains of reasonable proportions when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid. It shall also be permissible to use on any vehicle whose gross weight does not exceed 10,000 pounds tires with studs which project no more than one-sixteenth of an inch beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire when compressed if the studs cover no more than three percent of the traction surface of the tire.

The use of studded tires shall be permissible only from October 15 to April 15.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: December 07, 2007 10:55AM

Having lived in a cold climate where studded tires are needed, I can say that there is NO reason to have studded snow tires in Virginia. Not only is it a waste of money, it's not good for the alignment of your car and it isn't good for the road surface. If you don't like driving to work in the snow, might I suggest Metro.

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle ()
Date: December 07, 2007 11:33AM

A good all-season tire should work well for most people in this area, but if you are looking for a pure winter tire I would strongly suggest the Bridgestone Blizzak or the Michelin Pilot Alpin. I have used the Blizzak's on my Volvo 850 for years and they are awesome in the snow without too much road noise. I keep them mounted on a cheap set of steel wheels.

Posted by: call me crazy ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:45PM

I use studded tires year round, they are a little loud but I like knowing I'm ready for any weather.

Posted by: Vandal ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:49PM

When I know I will be doing some lawn jobs I'll put them on. They tear up turf like nothing else.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:41PM

Studded tires are the best to have on ice. Ice occurs when roads arent plowed, and peopel drive over the snow, melting and packing it down, It then refreezes and everyone crashes. Such as happedned today. With studded tires, you can keep on driving and laugh ad the dumbasses in the ditch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 04:41PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: December 07, 2007 09:49PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Studded tires are the best to have on ice. Ice
> occurs when roads arent plowed, and peopel drive
> over the snow, melting and packing it down, It
> then refreezes and everyone crashes. Such as
> happedned today. With studded tires, you can keep
> on driving and laugh ad the dumbasses in the
> ditch.

Solid ice isn't that difficult to drive on. You just need to keep your speed down.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: December 09, 2007 01:07AM

joe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Studded tires are the best to have on ice. Ice
> > occurs when roads arent plowed, and peopel
> drive
> > over the snow, melting and packing it down, It
> > then refreezes and everyone crashes. Such as
> > happedned today. With studded tires, you can
> keep
> > on driving and laugh ad the dumbasses in the
> > ditch.
>
> Solid ice isn't that difficult to drive on. You
> just need to keep your speed down.

I have a set of winter wheels and tires that I put on my in late November. Studded tires mounted to some Cragar black-steelies - set me back about $600. While I totally do not agree that solid ice isn't that difficult to drive on, I am sure you will agree that for the same price as most people's insurance co-pays it's much more worth it to go ahead and get a set of tires that will HELP you avoid an accident, rather than PAY for an accident.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 12, 2007 10:10AM

yes, so instead of just you paying for an accident, you make all of us pay for your tires via the road damage they cause... you're so thoughtful.

Posted by: Clementine ()
Date: March 28, 2008 04:01PM

I use studded snow tires every winter Oct 15 to Apr 15 and they make a BIG difference when driving up or down a steep road or driveway. I live up on a mountain and they probably have saved my life. Since road conditions can be tricky and different at different altitudes, the studded tires serve me well.

Another resident, who lives on the same mountain and drives the same year & same model car I drive, slid into a guard rail and got stuck while I went up right past him.

Chains are better for deeper snow, but more trouble to put on and off. By the time we have that much snow, I usually don't have to go into work that day!

Posted by: Tamra ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:38PM

As a former N. Virginian who relocated to Maine, 4WD/AWD is the way to go. I've made it easily over mountains through 18" of fresh snow. As a woman, chains are too difficult to negotiate. Studs don't help in deep snow, but they do get you up and down hills/ruts and improve driving on ice. One word: traction. If you live in a metro area, it's true you should plan ahead and use public transportation. But if you live in a rural area (and there are some still in VA), you need something more functional than all-season tires. Properly installed studs don't tear up the road surface---you can run your hand over them; they're not sharp and don't stick out of the tire but a fraction of an inch. It's better to have them than to have an accident. The most costly considerations in regard to studded tires are slightly reduced gas mileage, installation/removal expenses, and their effect on alignment, all of which affect the driver, not the public in general.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.