HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Serial Burglar May Not Be Charged
Posted by: WTF?? ()
Date: June 01, 2011 09:24AM

Fairfax County's chief prosecutor said Friday he was unsure there was enough evidence to charge Brad Edmonds, the man police believe to have burglarized more than 100 homes in Northern Virginia last year.

Edmonds, 35, of Maryland will be sentenced Tuesday in Montgomery County, Md., Circuit Court for a series of burglaries and thefts from vehicles in Potomac.

"I'm not sure if there's enough evidence in any of the Fairfax cases," said Raymond F. Morrogh, the Commonwealth Attorney for Fairfax County.

Morrogh (D) said the safer course of action was to wait out the Montgomery County trial.

"In general terms, since he has not been charged with anything here in Virginia, I can say he can be charged and tried after he is sentenced in Montgomery County if there is strong enough evidence to do so and he could serve the two sentences consecutively," he said.

In an email Thursday, Fairfax County Police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said charges against Edmonds are pending.

In November, Fairfax County police said Edmonds was directly linked to several burglaries. Montgomery and Fairfax police charged Edmonds in November after a joint investigation. Police said they witnessed Edmonds break into two cars parked in driveways and confiscated evidence that he committed burglaries nearby.

A Montgomery County jury found him guilty of two counts of first-degree burglary, fourth-degree burglary, theft over $1,000 and theft under $1,000 and two counts of rogue vagabond in March.

More than 100 homes were burglarized in Northern Virginia between August and November.

Edmonds’ attorney, Ronald Gottlieb, did not return calls before this story was published.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Serial Burglar May Not Be Charged
Posted by: curious ()
Date: June 01, 2011 09:30AM

During this whole burglar crazy a police officer pulled me over in my own neighborhood at around midnight. He asked me why I had a flashlight in my car (great police work there). He also asked me if the bike in my hatch was mine (duh).

He proceeded to ask to search my car, which I refused.
I told him to look for an old car with Maryland plates.

Dumbass.

Posted by: Inspector Fuzz ()
Date: June 01, 2011 09:49AM

This is astonishing that they don't have any evidence to tie Brad Edmonds, but then again I recall a time when you practically had to beg, plead for the police to take fingerprints because their fingerprint kits were too expensive.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 01, 2011 10:34AM

I don't think many will be too happy to hear this. It's a shame if it turns out to be true.

You would think in today’s CSI world, they would have SOMETHING to tie him to at least a couple of the Virginia incidents. Didn't he have some of the stuff he stole stashed away at home? Didn’t he have the same exact M.O.?

Then again, maybe he didn't do it. Strange how all the burglaries stopped after he was caught though.

Posted by: Inspector Fuzz ()
Date: June 01, 2011 10:55AM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think many will be too happy to hear this.
> It's a shame if it turns out to be true.
>
> You would think in today’s CSI world, they would
> have SOMETHING to tie him to at least a couple of
> the Virginia incidents. Didn't he have some of the
> stuff he stole stashed away at home? Didn’t he
> have the same exact M.O.?
>
> Then again, maybe he didn't do it. Strange how all
> the burglaries stopped after he was caught though.

But did they stop? I remember hearing on the news that there were one or two afterwards that fit the same M.O. but police said there didn't appear to be a connection. Copycat maybe? Or maybe the real thief decided to lay low? It's hard to say with so little information on the investigation.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 01, 2011 12:23PM

is there any proof that he WAS the actual burglar, or did they just hang that crap on him to look good?

I mean, the dude was caught in another county and crap.

Could it be the person/persons doing the crimes just stopped doing them when this dude got caught?

Posted by: Update ()
Date: June 01, 2011 12:31PM

Fairfax Prosecutor Unsure About Charges in 'Serial Burglar' Case
The man whom Fairfax police believe burglarized 100 homes will be sentenced in Maryland.
By Andre L. Taylor and Sarah Beth Hensley | Email the authors | 5:00am
http://burke.patch.com/articles/fairfax-prosecutor-unsure-about-charges-in-serial-burglar-case-6

Fairfax County's chief prosecutor said Friday he was unsure there was enough evidence to charge Brad Edmonds, the man police believe to have burglarized more than 100 homes in Northern Virginia last year.

Edmonds, 35, of Maryland will be sentenced Tuesday in Montgomery County, Md., Circuit Court for a series of burglaries and thefts from vehicles in Potomac.

"I'm not sure if there's enough evidence in any of the Fairfax cases," said Raymond F. Morrogh, the commonwealth attorney for Fairfax County.

Morrogh (D) said the safer course of action was to wait out the Montgomery County trial.

"In general terms, since he has not been charged with anything here in Virginia, I can say he can be charged and tried after he is sentenced in Montgomery County if there is strong enough evidence to do so and he could serve the two sentences consecutively," he said.

In an email Thursday, Fairfax County Police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said charges against Edmonds are pending.

In November, Fairfax County police said Edmonds was directly linked to several burglaries. Montgomery and Fairfax police charged Edmonds in November after a joint investigation. Police said they witnessed Edmonds break into two cars parked in driveways and confiscated evidence that he committed burglaries nearby.

A Montgomery County jury found him guilty of two counts of first-degree burglary, fourth-degree burglary, theft over $1,000 and theft under $1,000 and two counts of rogue vagabond in March.

More than 100 homes were burglarized in Northern Virginia between August and November.

Edmonds’ attorney, Ronald Gottlieb, did not return calls before this story was first published on Oakton Patch.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 01, 2011 12:35PM

One heck of an effort by FCPD and the DA's office. Kudos.

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: June 01, 2011 01:00PM

<THREADJACK>

"rogue vagabond" may be the best name for a criminal charge I've ever heard.

Anyone else have any good ones?

</THREADJACK>

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 01, 2011 01:39PM

@Ut - only in loco MoCo would they have a charge like that

it's to cut down on all the roving minstrels they have, you see.........
Attachments:
renfest2.jpg

Posted by: EGOD ()
Date: June 02, 2011 12:33AM

Ship this nigger down to Jarrett Prison after he serves his time in MD, this boy should pay for each one of it's crimes....gime'em about 57 years with no parole

Posted by: Updated ()
Date: July 07, 2011 06:28AM

Fairfax County prosecutor says he intends to file charges against suspected serial burglar
By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, July 7, 4:23 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fairfax-county-prosecutor-says-he-intends-to-file-charges-against-suspected-serial-burglar/2011/07/07/gIQA3eLn1H_story.html

FAIRFAX, Va. — Fairfax County’s top prosecutor says he also plans to file charges against a Maryland man suspected of committing more than 100 burglaries or attempted break-ins in the Washington area.

Brad Edmonds, of Oxon Hill, Md., was sentenced this week to 33 years in prison after being convicted of breaking into a home in Montgomery County, Md.

Edmonds was arrested in November after police say officers spotted him breaking into cars in Potomac, Md. Police say officers stopped Edmonds and charged him with burglary and related offenses after searches of his home and car found items linked to burglaries in Virginia.

Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Raymond Morrogh tells The Washington Post that he intends to charge Edmonds in four break-ins.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: July 07, 2011 10:47AM

EGOD Wrote:
> Ship this nigger down to Jarrett Prison after he
> serves his time in MD, this boy should pay for
> each one of it's crimes....gime'em about 57 years
> with no parole

Great-Our tax dollars are going to be spent warehousing and watching a guy for 57 years.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: July 07, 2011 02:41PM

33 Years for one MD break in? Wow.

Posted by: Better Update ()
Date: July 09, 2011 02:58PM

Potomac burglar, of Oxon Hill, gets 33-year prison sentence in Montgomery, faces federal charges
Edmonds, 35, of Oxon Hill to be prosecuted in federal court for having stolen firearms
by Alex Ruoff, Staff Writer More News
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20110705/NEWS/707069746/1076/1117/Potomac-burglar-of-Oxon-Hill-gets-33-year-prison-sentence-in-Montgomery-faces-federal-charges&template=fairfaxTimes

An Oxon Hill man who police say could be responsible more than 100 burglaries in Maryland and Virginia before his arrest in Potomac, was given a 33-year prison sentence Tuesday and faces more as he awaits federal prosecution.

Brad Edmonds, 35, of the 1100 block of Kennebec Street, was arrested Nov. 17 on River Road as part of a joint Montgomery-Fairfax county police investigation into a rise in home burglaries in both counties, according to Montgomery County court records.

He was found guilty of a single count of first-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools, rogue and vagabond, and theft over $1,000 by a jury March 20.

Federal prosecutors indicted Edmonds for possessing stolen firearms June 2. His indictment states that police on Nov. 17 found Edmonds with stolen weapons including a Smith and Wesson 9mm pistol, a Remington 700, 7-08mm rifle, and a scoped, .308-caliber rifle. If found guilty, Edmonds could face 10 more years in prison, said Marcia Murphy, a spokeswoman for the U.S. State’s Attorney’s Office in Maryland.

A trial has not been scheduled. No attorney is listed for this case.

While Edmonds maintains that he is innocent of any crime, prosecutors said in Montgomery County Circuit Court on Tuesday that he is a dangerous man who supported himself by breaking into homes late at night dressed in all-black clothing, armed with a stolen handgun to take money and firearms from the wealthy.

“You have someone here who, frankly, needs to be off the street ... he likes to steal, he likes to break into people’s houses and does so in a very cold, calculated way,” said Montgomery County Assistant State’s Attorney John D. Lalos.

Edmonds asked for a new trial in June, saying he was framed by police.

His attorney, Assistant Public Defender Ronald Gottlieb, did not return a call requesting comment.

Edmonds said Tuesday that Montgomery County police lied about finding stolen property and a handgun in his car when he was arrested and doctored photographs to support their case.

“The detectives’ story is made up,” he said. “The story is made up.”

Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Ronald B. Rubin denied Edmonds’ request for a new trial. Rubin said in court Tuesday that his request was not supported by real evidence.

After his November arrest, Edmonds was charged by Montgomery County police with 13 crimes, including breaking and entering, malicious destruction of property, and five theft charges.

Police in Fairfax County contacted Montgomery police Nov. 2, saying Edmonds was suspected of burglarizing homes in both counties, according to court records. Montgomery police followed Edmonds for almost a full day before arresting him, watching him break into vehicles and homes around Lake Potomac Drive and Drews Lane.

Montgomery police found a pistol in his car when they arrested him Nov. 17 and the rifles in his Oxon Hill apartment. Also in his car was a black mask, gloves, plyers, a flat-bladed screwdriver and two flashlights.

In his apartment, police found a Nintendo Wii game system, two credit cards, and other items reported stolen in Virginia.

Edmonds does not face any charges in Virginia. Fairfax County Police Department spokesman Bud Walker said he could not comment on whether the department intends to charge him with a crime.

Fairfax police announced in November that they were investigating 109 reports of residential burglary, vehicle break-ins, and attempted burglaries since August, many using the same tactics, which led them to believe one person could have committed them all.

Walker could not immediately say if police thought Edmonds was responsible for these crimes.

Two days after Montgomery County police arrested Edmonds, Fairfax police announced they believed the person responsible for many of the burglaries was arrested in Montgomery County on Nov. 17.

Posted by: Bystander ()
Date: July 09, 2011 04:08PM

“The detectives’ story is made up,” he said. “The story is made up.”

Well then, it apears they did a good job. lol

Date: July 10, 2011 09:18AM

It's sort of like the sniper case (without the killing of course). The fact that the burglaries stopped after this clown was arrested should be proof enough he was doing them.

Posted by: George244 ()
Date: July 10, 2011 10:53AM

what the hell is a rogue vagabond

Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: August 05, 2011 02:26PM

"Only good things can come of more communication." - Cary Wiedemann, March 3, 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 02:40PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: One bullet ()
Date: August 05, 2011 05:12PM

Would save us so much money.

Seriously, I'm all for grand larceny and freedom to steal to your hearts content, but if you get caught, one bullet between the eyes, no trial, none of this bullshit circus and waste of taxpayer money when there is significant evidence that show you broke into at least one home/car.

Quit defending these bottom-feeding scum, they're not mentally ill, they're adults who make bad decisions and get caught.

Brad K. Edmonds, serial burglar, sentenced to 33 years in prison
Posted by: Updated ()
Date: August 05, 2011 05:16PM

Brad K. Edmonds, serial burglar, sentenced to 33 years in prison
By Jeremy Binckes
July 7, 2011 - 09:55
http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/07/brad-k-edmonds-serial-burglar-sentenced-to-33-years-in-prison-63311.html

The good news for Brad Edmonds is that he was sentenced to only 33 years in prison after allegedly committing over 100 burglaries or attempted break-ins. Thirty-three years for 100 crimes? What a steal! Ha.

Edmonds was finally captured in November, when Fairfax police pulled him over and noticed he was dressed in black and had handwritten addresses and burglary tools. Police put a GPS in his car, and tracked him to Maryland, where Montgomery County Police found him trying to break into an SUV.

Edmonds denied any responsibility for the burglaries, writing (all sic): "I did not break into no body car’s or house’s, the tire mark’s, shoe imprint, did not come frome me. the black mask, screwdriver, plier’s, glove’s, flashlight, are not mind.”

The bad news? Now that a Montgomery County jury has convicted him, Fairfax County wants a crack at him. Maybe the next 33 years (if not more) will give him a chance to work on his punctuation.
Attachments:
brad_edmonds_montgomery_county_police_296.jpg

Re: Brad K. Edmonds, serial burglar, sentenced to 33 years in prison
Date: August 05, 2011 08:20PM

Updated Wrote:
> Edmonds denied any responsibility for the
> burglaries, writing (all sic): "I did not break
> into no body car’s or house’s, the tire
> mark’s, shoe imprint, did not come frome me. the
> black mask, screwdriver, plier’s, glove’s,
> flashlight, are not mind.”

You know what? I actually feel sorry for this guy. As uneducated as he appears to be, he has (well, "had") little hope of ever getting a decent job in his life. Imagine what it is like to have an outlook on life in which you honestly can't see a path to success.

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: August 05, 2011 09:23PM

He'll have 33 years worth of time to convert to the nation of islam lol.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.