HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Another useless day of recognition
Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: November 29, 2007 03:48PM

Thursday, November 29, 2007

FCPS Students to Observe Different Shoe Day During National Inclusive Schools Week

Different Shoe Day, a symbolic gesture of accepting and valuing other people and their differences by wearing a different shoe on each foot, will be observed in ten Fairfax County public schools on Friday, December 7, as part of National Inclusive Schools Week, December 3-7. This is a grassroots project organized by Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) parents.

Participating elementary schools include: Clermont, Fairhill, Floris, Forest Edge, Fort Hunt, Franklin Sherman, Laurel Ridge, Oak View, Washington Mill, and West Springfield. National Inclusive Schools Week highlights and celebrates the progress of the nation’s schools that provide a supportive and quality education to an increasingly diverse student population, including students with disabilities and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

This activity will encourage students to learn about each other, foster acceptance and appreciation of differences, and teach students to recognize the similarities between themselves and their fellow students.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another useless day of recognition
Posted by: WTH? ()
Date: November 29, 2007 04:47PM

I'm a mom of a kid with severe disabilities, and even I think that this is a load of crap. Get a life, you weirdos.

Posted by: Bornherelegally ()
Date: November 29, 2007 05:04PM

Yes, another attempt at shoving foreigners and illegals down our throats whether
we like it or not. This is nothing more than brainwash that needs to be ended.
Im glad my kids are out of high school so they're no longer subjected to this
crap. At least in college they can ignore it if they wish. My son once told me
he doesnt care how they dance in Bonga Bonga. Well put!

Posted by: unacceptable ()
Date: November 29, 2007 08:08PM

What a ridiculous press release and idea! I am also fed up with people shoving other cultures down my throat! This is one of the reasons they come to this country and walk around like they own the place and refuse to accept our culture. Perhaps if the Sudanese and other raghead nations just learned to wear two different shoes we wouldn't have to report stories like the following one?

Briton Guilty in Sudan Blasphemy Case
By ALFRED de MONTESQUIOU,AP
Posted: 2007-11-29 17:05:02
Filed Under: World News
KHARTOUM, Sudan (Nov. 29) - A British teacher in Sudan was convicted Thursday of the less-serious charge of insulting Islam for letting her pupils name a teddy bear "Muhammad," and was sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation to Britain, one of her lawyers said.

Gillian Gibbons could have received 40 lashes and six months in prison in the case if found guilty of the more serious charge of inciting religious hatred and given the maximum penalty.

A court in Sudan on Thursday convicted British elementary school teacher Gillian Gibbons, here in an undated photo, of "insulting the faith of Muslims" for letting her pupils name a teddy bear Muhammad.

In London, the Foreign Office said it was "extremely disappointed with the sentence," adding that Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador to explain the verdict.

Gibbons, 54, was arrested Sunday after complaints to the Education Ministry that she had insulted Prophet Muhammad, the most revered figure in Islam, by applying his name to a teddy bear.

She was found guilty of "insulting the faith of Muslims in Sudan" under Article 125 of the Sudanese criminal code, a less-serious charge than the original count of inciting religious hatred, said Ali Mohammed Ajab, a member of her defense team.

The charge later was confirmed by a judge who was leaving the closed court session.

"I feel this is very serious and very unfair," Ajab told The Associated Press outside court. Ajab, who also works for the Khartoum Center for Human Rights, said the issue was raised by "hard-liners who are always trying to make some noise," in an apparent reference to religious conservatives.

Ajab said his center would appeal the verdict.

Gibbons' employer, Robert Boulos of the Unity High School, called it "a very fair verdict."

"She could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation," Boulos said. He noted that she would only spend 10 days in prison, having already served five.

Gibbons is expected to serve her sentence in the Omdurman women's prison near Khartoum.

Religious conservatives in Sudan were outraged by the naming of the teddy bear, and defense lawyers reported receiving death threats.

"I am threatened, that's why I'm carrying a gun in court," defense lawyer Abdel Khalig Abdallah said, opening his coat to reveal a revolver during a break in the trial.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-11-29 15:51:11

Posted by: Miguel ()
Date: November 29, 2007 09:12PM

Heeey! Don' forget Cinco De Mayo! And in my coun'ry we no have shoes. You don
no how lucky you have eet. Sank You Payless, you give me shoes so cheep! I wear
jus wan for you. I weel show you how break pinata!

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 29, 2007 09:30PM

This is a joke, isn't it?

Posted by: Smokey the Bear not Mohammad ()
Date: November 30, 2007 12:05AM

Hard to tell if this is a joke or not but I lean towards it being real. I guess we now have to show respect to third world jackoffs who throw a woman in jail for calling a teddy bear mohammad. Those people are just totally fucked up. But she is also stupid for going there and trying to teach these prehistoric trogs how to move into the 21 century. I would just let them rot in their own stupidity.

Screw them if they want to run around in bed sheets and make women wear head to toe garb.

Posted by: unacceptable ()
Date: November 30, 2007 12:18AM

Posted by: Yeaaah ()
Date: November 30, 2007 12:26AM

Whats next? Take your daughter to daylabor site day?

Posted by: Cactus Jack ()
Date: November 30, 2007 08:43AM

I read the link but just couldnt wrap myself around it. Is this the same school system that is demanding another billion dollars because they are so strapped for funds.
Any wonder the kids are so stupid. I can see them now entering the work force, hey boss I cant do simple math but check me out I have two different shoes on.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.