HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dave Grohl stories
Posted by: FooFan ()
Date: April 09, 2011 01:23PM

Watched the new Foo Fighters documentary last night which made mention of Grohl's frequent retreats back to his Mom's house in Springfield (whom I believe still lives somewhere in Springfield) and also talked about how the Foo Fighters recorded a couple of their albums at Dave's house in Alexandria.

Did any of you FFX Underground folks know Dave Grohl or his sister Lisa growing up? Did you have his mom as a teacher in FCPS? Share your stories if you have 'em...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dave Grohl stories
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: April 09, 2011 01:32PM

I think his Mom was my English teacher a Jefferson. They lived about a block away from me. Can't remember the kids to much. I think they were in a different class.

Date: April 09, 2011 02:19PM

Found this picture on the internet of him and his Mom. She was a very nice lady. I can't remember if I passed her class though. I know where they live if they are still in the same place.
Attachments:
David & Virgina Grohl 1982.jpg

Date: April 09, 2011 02:32PM

I read that he purchased the house they grew up in for his mom and then had a big addition put on. But who knows if that's true....I doubt many home owner's associations around Springfield allow for big additions.

Cool pic btw. Fwiw, there's a write-up on him in tomorrow's edition of Washington Post magazine.

Date: April 09, 2011 02:39PM

FooFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that he purchased the house they grew up in
> for his mom and then had a big addition put on.
> But who knows if that's true....I doubt many home
> owner's associations around Springfield allow for
> big additions.
>
> Cool pic btw. Fwiw, there's a write-up on him in
> tomorrow's edition of Washington Post magazine.

I just looked up the house. His Mom bought the house back in the 70's. Don't know about any addition. I'll check it out the next time I'm back in the old hood.

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: April 09, 2011 07:44PM

Theres an older, crappier looking house thats off of hooes by Sydestricker in Springfield, and Im told that his band used to practice in it in the 80s before he moved to Seattle.

Posted by: MrMystery ()
Date: April 09, 2011 08:15PM

Scream was the best thing that ever happened to Dave Grohl. If their van hadn't gone to shit during their WC tour, he would not have joined Nirvana. Scream was to Grohl as Black Flag was to Rollins.

Date: April 09, 2011 09:02PM

best of Me... Not a chance

Date: April 09, 2011 10:50PM

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: April 09, 2011 11:28PM

I met Dave by chance on Yahoo IM one night, I didn't believe it was him and thought it was someone screwing /w me. Then he offered to turn his webcam on and prove it was him, IT WAS!! He was very cool, said he was bored and liked to chat /w random DC area fans on the net and he picked me. I will never forget how down to earth he was, just "one of the guys" and not some primadonna rock star out of touch with everyone.

Posted by: a ()
Date: April 09, 2011 11:47PM

One of my teachers was his lacrosse coach when he was a kid. Dave skipped some lax practices for band practices and my teacher started to get on him to play lax and quit his band. Even though dave liked my teacher he stuck with the band, guess that worked out well for him!

Posted by: oc ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:00AM

I went to TJ with him. He was always wearing that same knit cap at age 15 as he still did when he was in Nirvana.

Posted by: AreYouSure? ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:14AM

At 15 Dave was a freshman at Bishop Ireton. Then West Springfield. Then the road.

Posted by: thatsx right ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:59AM

Dave Grohl returned to Fairfax HS in the mid 90s when Nirvana was around to be a part of Battle of the Bands as a judge. He was very down to earth, just a very cool person who was happy to sign autographs, get pics with fans, etc.

Date: April 10, 2011 08:11AM

I went to TJ with him. I am not lying. He's in my Sophomore year yearbook.

Date: April 10, 2011 08:28AM

AreYouSure? Wrote:
> At 15 Dave was a freshman at Bishop Ireton. Then
> West Springfield. Then the road.

In Virginia, Grohl attended Thomas Jefferson High School as a freshman and sophomore. He was elected vice president of his freshman class and played bits of songs by bands like the Circle Jerks and Bad Brains over the school intercom before his morning announcements. During his junior year, Grohl and his mother decided that he should transfer to Bishop Ireton High School in Alexandria because his marijuana usage was affecting his grades.[5] He attended Bishop Ireton as a junior and a partial year as senior from 1984-1986.

Posted by: I got the best of her ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:36AM

I remember Dave walking in on me once when I was boning his mom. After I blew my load, we smoked a joint and discussed the merits of a clean shaved pussy.

Posted by: Molly's Lips ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:39AM

I do think his mom worked at Fairfax HS at some point. I remember hearing that Dave came to visit her at the school while home from touring.

Posted by: skinner ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:10PM

I rented a house near the Shenandoah river that was called "Nirvana" as Dave supposedly bought it for his mom . It was a nice place - not sure if the story is true - just what I was told.

Date: April 11, 2011 10:14PM

I got the best of her Wrote:
> I remember Dave walking in on me once when I was
> boning his mom. After I blew my load, we smoked a
> joint and discussed the merits of a clean shaved
> pussy.

This is the only story from this thread that I believe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Mullen ()
Date: April 11, 2011 10:38PM

Dave Grohl worked at a record store in DC... Tower or Olssons before moving West toward the big league etc. He played drums with Scream for a gig at the Cedar Crest Country Club(CCC) in the late 80's... major skate/vert ramp site in Manassas in the 80's into 90's. Henry Rollins w/ Black Flag there, too! Dave Grohl recorded some of a past Foo Fighters recordings from his past sold, Springfield VA home that had a studio. Check out http://www.skatecccc.com/

Posted by: skinner ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:13PM

Cedar Crest was in Centreville - not Manassas - though close - used to hang out there - mostly for the free beer during company picnics . Never skated there although we watched - we rode our dirtbikes there and used to stash them behind an old barn.

Date: April 12, 2011 01:38AM

6X Wrote:
> AreYouSure? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > At 15 Dave was a freshman at Bishop Ireton.
> Then
> > West Springfield. Then the road.
>
>
> In Virginia, Grohl attended Thomas Jefferson High
> School as a freshman and sophomore.

Thank you.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: April 12, 2011 10:15AM

I've never met him personally but I have friends that used to bartend in the Old Town area and they said he would stop in every once in a while for a drink. They all said the same thing about him, he was really down to earth and would sit at the bar and have a conversation with anyone that wanted to talk. I've heard from many people that the guy is really just a nice guy who didn't let the fame and fortune go to his head.

Posted by: FF Fan ()
Date: April 12, 2011 10:04PM

Dave lived on High Street Near Old Town Alexandria, He recently sold the house. I know, because I live down the street from the house

Posted by: Anon ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:05PM

I heard that Dave Grohl was in another band before Foo Fighters.

Posted by: Joe Mayo ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:31AM

I met him in Spencer's Gifts in Springfield Mall days before Christmas in 1997, the year The Colour And The Shape came out. I was buying last minute crap stocking stuffers. He was standing behind me in line buying this little, plush, stuffed Kiss doll. Ace Frehley, I think. He was incredibly nice and very cool.

Foo Fighters' new album 'Wasting Light' came out today. Its the perfect hard rock record for the summer.

Posted by: Hard Times ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:57AM

He used to come by the Hard Times Cafe on King Street years ago, very regular guy. A lot of the younger staff got super excited because they recognized the name but didn't know why, rubes. They were told to leave him alone, for obvious reasons.

Date: April 13, 2011 06:40AM

One day I saw Grohl punch a midget in the face on King Street. He's not so nice IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Album owner ()
Date: April 13, 2011 11:55AM

No one (including the Post write-up) mentions that he was in a local band called Dain Bramage pre-Scream. I had their EP but sold it back to a record store soon after. Too bad--wonder what it would fetch on Ebay these days.

Posted by: Hey ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:10PM

FF Fan,
Did you go to Burgundy Farms Day School?

Posted by: Yo ()
Date: November 22, 2011 04:38PM

My cousin worked at Murphy's in Old Town before becoming a police officer in the city. Dave and his Mom were sitting in a booth and she waited on them. She had absolutely no idea as to who he was until a co-worker filled her in. She said he was really, really cool.

Date: November 22, 2011 04:59PM

From a Thomas Jefferson year book.
Attachments:
david grohl VP.jpg

Posted by: Bellatrix ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:08PM

I went to school with him at TJ 82-84. He was really kind of quite and shy. Nice kid. Had his mom for freshman English.

6X. - I have that yearbook!

Date: November 22, 2011 09:02PM

Foo Fighters did put on one helluva show at Verizon Center 2 weeks ago. It was great hearing Dave tell some stories about being back home for a couple days. He mentioned the fucked up Springfield Interchange and also said he went by Springfield Mall and couldn't believe how much it had changed.

I immediately thought of FFXU and all the mindless banter that goes on over said mall. hah

Posted by: ITsAllGood ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:39AM

My son saw him and his family at Lake Accotink this summer. Said he was a nice guy. He was talking to him about his tats that Kat Von D did.

Posted by: keepie ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:54AM

He was in Scream before Dain Bramage. Saw both bands multiple times including the punk shows at Lake Braddock Community Center.

Posted by: Clay Wheels ()
Date: November 27, 2011 03:50PM

To settle a dispute amongst old shredders and discussed off of this forum...

Was the CCC located in Manassas or Centreville?

The original country club entry was off Sudley Rd. in MANASSAS. The ramp was actually located across the county line in FAIRFAX COUNTY/Centreville via a path/road literally, cut out of the woods. Additional access points developed over time. I.e. dirt bike entry, paths and the rest.

Great times... the best! Was amazing as the posts lay it out. Some of us skate-fossils, whom are too old to drop into a serious vert, are still enjoying some outlaw good times with slalom-race skating in NoVA... slalom is easier on the knees, hips and past/nagging swell-bow injuries.

We're still skating. Newcomers and old wheels are welcome... drop a note at:

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=122&sid=73b820b5b353a6ab89639d5aeeb2ff63

Posted by: Ericsson ()
Date: January 15, 2012 09:14AM

Which house on High Street? I live a few blocks from there.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: January 15, 2012 10:09AM

It's actually off of Orchard and at the corner of High. It is being remodeled at the moment.

Posted by: CMR53 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 10:24AM

Anon Wrote:
> I heard that Dave Grohl was in another band before
> Foo Fighters.

Really?!

Posted by: Foo Fan ()
Date: January 15, 2012 01:41PM

Posted by: James ()
Date: January 17, 2012 09:30PM

So does Dave no longer have a house in Alexandria?

Date: January 17, 2012 09:39PM

James Wrote:
> So does Dave no longer have a house in Alexandria?

I don't know about any house in Alexandria. His mom still has a house in Springfield where he grew-up. He stays there sometimes.

Posted by: Chuck S ()
Date: January 19, 2012 12:27PM

Any idea if someone is currently living in the 1800 Nicholson Lane house? I live in the area and drove by looks like some serious remodeling is going on. Very cool looking place kind of tucked away.

Posted by: restop ()
Date: January 19, 2012 12:43PM

yeah we had sex at a truck stop down I-95 before he was ever popular. Something about raising money for his band. Funny thing is he didn't any money afterwards!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: January 19, 2012 09:48PM

Chuck S Wrote:
> Any idea if someone is currently living in the
> 1800 Nicholson Lane house? I live in the area and
> drove by looks like some serious remodeling is
> going on. Very cool looking place kind of tucked
> away.

Yes, someone lives there.

Posted by: NovaTrucker ()
Date: January 19, 2012 10:16PM

restop Wrote:
> yeah we had sex at a truck stop down I-95 before
> he was ever popular. Something about raising
> money for his band. Funny thing is he didn't any
> money afterwards!

"restop"? and "he didn't any money afterwards"....fail...you fuck'n loser...if your not funny don't try to be...your obviously a floating turd troll...put your thumb back in your ass and just watch...in fact, just throw your keyboard away...fucking dolt

Posted by: way back ()
Date: January 20, 2012 09:03AM

i used to date the sister of one of his good friends, so i was always over at her house, and dave would come by on a semi-regular basis along with the rest of that gang - ritchie, gonzo, and a couple others that i forget the names. we were far from tight, but would talk every so often. he'd come back from a scream tour and give the funny details. one time, after a tour in europe, he brought back videos of them in amsterdam, hilarious seeing the shitholes they played in, not to mention the POS "tour bus" they rode around in. BTW, amsterdam has river rats the size of german shepherds.

last "real" conversation i had with him was just after he signed on with nirvana. i read a tiny blurb in spin about it, maybe three or four sentences long. we were leaving the house at the same time and i mentioned i saw it. he said he was really excited about it, they were heading into the studio shortly to record. then i said, "hey man, i need you to hold the choke open on my car so i can start it".

seen him a couple times over the years since then, albeit briefly, and unfortunately they primarily revolved around funerals.

Posted by: Ap ()
Date: January 27, 2012 09:39PM

Dont write much on these things. Don't doubt he went to Jefferson for two years, but from 1984 he was at ireton as a freshman ( maybe held back, who knows). I was there with him and he is in my freshman yearbook. He was in Anderson's algebra class, and Wilson's pe class with me. Wikipedia is wrong.

As I recall Ge left part way through sophomore year.

Posted by: Truth1 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:33PM

Dave Grohl attended the former Thomas Jefferson HS as a freshman and sophomore. During his junior year, he briefly attended Bishop Ireton HS in Alexandria, before transferring to Annandale HS. When he was 17, his mother let him drop out of Annandale HS to tour in Europe with the band Scream. So he went to those 3 schools NOT any other one's mentioned above in Fairfax County.

Posted by: grohlista ()
Date: September 23, 2012 10:42AM

Does anybody know the address of his moms house? High Street meets Orchad Street right by 1800 Nicholson Lane, so did they live off of High Street or 1800 Nicholson Street

Date: September 24, 2012 12:30AM

I didn't really talk to him or anything, but I remember seeing him in the halls at Jefferson (he was there my soph. year). He always wore that black knit cap and kinda seemed to keep to himself. (I was there 82-86.)

Posted by: sawdave ()
Date: September 24, 2012 03:21AM

Too funny. We saw and spoke to him 2 weeks ago. In the restaurant on Seminary at Beauregrd. He was just chilling with some friends and some kids. My sister asked for a picture and he very politely asked for some privacy and said no. Flannel shirt and all. We were mezmerized. Dave lives on. In FFX CO.

Posted by: STDC Mike ()
Date: September 26, 2012 01:32PM

Miss Grohl was my Creative Writing teacher at Annandale in my sophomore year. Nirvana was going to come to our class while they were visiting her and your boy shot himself before we got that visit unfortunately. Miss Grohl was a great teacher and a really good influence as far as teachers go. Really took a lot away from her class, no shocker Dave grew up to be a fucking BOSSSSSS.

STDC Mike

Posted by: zaftigsprite ()
Date: September 26, 2012 03:36PM

I worked at the Tysons Tower records for 5 years. He was a very frequent customer and very nice. In the back room we had a article where he said the worst job he ever had was working at Tower (he worked at Springfield location), so I asked him to come back and sign the paper, he did and was very nice. When I would ring him up, I was surprised by his eclectic taste in music. I think the biggest purchase I rang up for him when when he bought several of the Misfits box sets as gifts for friends.

Posted by: Roadrunner ()
Date: October 22, 2012 12:43AM

He was in SCREAM with some people I used to know...Harley Davidson. They would party with us down in Baileys crossroads.

Posted by: JuanWilliams ()
Date: October 25, 2012 06:57PM

Does he still own the black cat?

Posted by: Regular Guy ()
Date: June 20, 2014 11:27AM

Ran into Dave on the street in Georgetown (28th and M) on Wednesday night and at first didn't think it was him until I called his name. He turned around and we talked for about a minute. Told him my wife and her brother grew up in Springfield on the same street as he did (Kathleen). He remembered my brother-in-law from middle school but not my wife. Cool guy.

Posted by: Next to Jammin Java ()
Date: June 20, 2014 03:07PM

He recently purchased a mattress in Vienna

Posted by: eNmPud ()
Date: June 20, 2014 05:51PM

Dude I went to Mason with knew these dudes who went to high school with Grohl. He hired them to do some work on his house and they blew the cash he gave them for materials on heroin. They were pretty happy with themselves when he mentioned the story on some late night talk show. This was back around 2001.

Posted by: jerome ()
Date: June 20, 2014 09:15PM

He's the nicest guy ever, bought a tree and Christmas gifts for a family who's dad lost his job before Christmas. really down to earth and not egotistical jerk like the Metallica guys.

Posted by: Lord Jagged ()
Date: December 05, 2014 12:12AM

I bought some acid at a party he threw at his mom's house. It was back in late 1990 or early 1991. I was hanging out with some friends and one had heard about this party being thrown by a guy whose band had signed a contract and was getting ready to record an album.

Fun fact: that was the first time I bought acid from one of the guys busted in the big Robinson-Lake Braddock-NVCC LSD ring, but not the last. Let's just say I'm glad I came to my senses and got out of everything a few weeks before the arrests occured.

Posted by: seller of things ()
Date: December 05, 2014 08:25AM

Lord Jagged Wrote:
> I bought some acid at a party he threw at his
> mom's house. It was back in late 1990 or early
> 1991. I was hanging out with some friends and one
> had heard about this party being thrown by a guy
> whose band had signed a contract and was getting
> ready to record an album.
>
> Fun fact: that was the first time I bought acid
> from one of the guys busted in the big
> Robinson-Lake Braddock-NVCC LSD ring, but not the
> last. Let's just say I'm glad I came to my senses
> and got out of everything a few weeks before the
> arrests occured.

Too funny. I supplied that region with acid and never got busted. I always got tipped off before a bust and cleaned up. Fucking stupid lib cops.

Posted by: mutha fucka ()
Date: December 05, 2014 08:27AM

I fucked his mutha with my BBC!

Posted by: WendyChap ()
Date: November 26, 2019 04:11PM

I remember that!

Posted by: Johnny O'Hare ()
Date: November 26, 2019 04:38PM

I took drum class with Dave in the 80's in Springfield. He was good, but I was better. I'm still better.

Posted by: [deleted] ()
Date: November 26, 2019 04:47PM

[deleted]

Posted by: skateking ()
Date: November 26, 2019 05:31PM

He gave me a ragged drumstick after Scream did a show at cedar crest halfpipe skate ramp near Manassas late 80s. Did not see his mom.

Posted by: mahdi key aches muk mudddddd ()
Date: November 26, 2019 05:33PM

Dave's mom is one cool lady

eye went to Dave's house in Alexandria...but he wasn't home at the time

Posted by: Trent ()
Date: November 27, 2019 08:33AM

Chuck S Wrote:
> Any idea if someone is currently living in the
> 1800 Nicholson Lane house? I live in the area and
> drove by looks like some serious remodeling is
> going on. Very cool looking place kind of tucked https://mykitchenadvisor.com/best-single-serve-blenders/
> away.

Cool!

Posted by: True stuff here ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:07AM

Don't know if it's been shared here already, but like some of the other posters, I have a lot of mutual friends who either went to school with DG or played in the same clubs and knew him pretty well.

We've met a few times. He deals with a lot of ass kissers, so I can't blame him if he's not wide open with a lot of peeps, but he has always been as polite and friendly as the time allowed.

Did you know that every Black Friday, DG and his wife (can't remember her name, help me) drive from GMU on Braddock Rd then down Old Keene Mill and they give out 100 brand new Gibson Les Paul guitars to random kids and long hairs they see on the way? When the 100 are gone, it's finished and they run off. Often, people don't know it's even him. They were driving a U-Haul cargo van last 6 times.

Posted by: tall tales in fairfax ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:47AM

True stuff here Wrote:
> Did you know that every Black Friday, DG and his
> wife (can't remember her name, help me) drive from
> GMU on Braddock Rd then down Old Keene Mill and
> they give out 100 brand new Gibson Les Paul
> guitars to random kids and long hairs they see on
> the way? When the 100 are gone, it's finished and
> they run off. Often, people don't know it's even
> him. They were driving a U-Haul cargo van last 6
> times.

that sounds like a total BS story

i don’t doubt dave’s a kind dude with some major bank, but I seriously don’t believe he’s handing out almost $200,000 worth of guitars to people on the street every year.

and if some total stranger pulled up and handed me an $1,800 dollar guitar, i’d probably think it was shady as fuck and probably stolen or some kind of scam

Posted by: True stuff here ()
Date: November 27, 2019 09:52AM

tall tales in fairfax Wrote:
> True stuff here Wrote:
> -----
> > Did you know that every Black Friday, DG and
> his
> > wife (can't remember her name, help me) drive
> from
> > GMU on Braddock Rd then down Old Keene Mill and
> > they give out 100 brand new Gibson Les Paul
> > guitars to random kids and long hairs they see
> on
> > the way? When the 100 are gone, it's finished
> and
> > they run off. Often, people don't know it's
> even
> > him. They were driving a U-Haul cargo van last
> 6
> > times.
>
> that sounds like a total BS story
>
> i don’t doubt dave’s a kind dude with some
> major bank, but I seriously don’t believe he’s
> handing out almost $200,000 worth of guitars to
> people on the street every year.
>
> and if some total stranger pulled up and handed me
> an $1,800 dollar guitar, i’d probably think it
> was shady as fuck and probably stolen or some kind
> of scam

Mean to say 10, ten, sorry!

Posted by: Dave Grohl=homo ()
Date: November 27, 2019 02:29PM

Fuck Dave grohl

Posted by: FriendOfFamily ()
Date: November 27, 2019 08:18PM

Trent Wrote:
> Chuck S Wrote:
> -----
> > Any idea if someone is currently living in the
> > 1800 Nicholson Lane house? I live in the area
> and
> > drove by looks like some serious remodeling is
> > going on. Very cool looking place kind of
> tucked
> [url=https://mykitchenadvisor.com/best-single-serv
> e-blenders/]https://mykitchenadvisor.com/best-sing
> le-serve-blenders/[/url]
> > away.
>
>
> Cool!

Her name is Jordyn, but sadly your story is a complete fabrication. His mom has been living in LA the last several years, as do his in-laws, so there’s no need to be here for holidays. All that being said, they still own his mom’s house in north Springfield, still visit and occasionally stay there, and still take summer vacations in Rehoboth each August.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.