HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Questions about the police shooter from Centerville
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 09, 2007 08:46PM

I read in the paper that Michael Kennedy's father Brian Kennedy pleaded guilty to being charged with having guns in his home with a mentally ill son. Also it was brought out that they had marijuana in the home and that the dad smoked with his son. They also said that the mom, Margaret, was aware that Michael hijacked a car to drive to the police station. My first question is why didn't she call the police right then if she knew her son stole a car? Why isn't she being charged for anything too?
Also the son Michael had previously shot the family dog!! Why wasn't he charged with that back when they took the dog to the vet? Or at least, why wasn't that reported to someone.

I read that story twice just to see if I got it all right. I know the Kennedy's have lost a son. However, this family sounds very dysfunctional and it seems like all the signs were there prior to this boy going to the police station and shooting two officers. I am just surprised that none of the above was ever brought to the attention of anyone prior to the court proceedings. I can certainly understand why Officer Barbarino's widow took the time to speak at the hearing. Can anyone shed some light on this??

trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about the police shooter from Centerville
Posted by: Kid ()
Date: November 09, 2007 09:26PM

he makes me sick. no joke.

Posted by: Margie ()
Date: November 09, 2007 10:29PM

I think the father was charged with lying on the gun application (Because he was using drugs) From what I have read, it sound like they were in the "System"..But, when it comes to mental health, services in this county are lacking.
I can't believe the father got off so light...He should have removed the guns from the home...he knew his son had mentally issues. Both parents made some very bad decisions...they failed thier son as parents and those decisions cost two innocent people thier lives...I think both parents should be held responsible..I wonder if anyone is watching over the care of the younger daughter...

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 09, 2007 11:53PM

The mom must be taking care of the daughter since she has not been charged with anything. I also wonder who is paying for the attorney Jonathan Shapiro. He is not cheap. The dad had worked at the Food Lion on Lee Highway but it is no longer there any more. It's now Blooms.

Trickie

Posted by: sadday ()
Date: November 10, 2007 12:44AM

Is it just me or can anyone else remember what they were doing that day. I think the more events that occur closer to us, the more likely we are to remember stuff that we were doing that day. 9/11 is an expection, but I remember on the day of the shooting, I was at the dentist and an announcement came through the radio overhead saying something about a lockdown and everyone was like what in the fucking hell. Then I went home, and recorded two hours of news coverage, it's just interesting when something big happens within a mile of where you live, and it goes national or even global.

Posted by: pmn ()
Date: November 10, 2007 07:59AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/08/AR2007110801407.html

Fairfax Officer's Widow Rebukes Killer's Father
40-Month Term Imposed for Gun Crimes

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 10, 2007 10:58AM

They should put the mental health people that didn't help this family in cells next to dad.

And if these hadn't been cops the kid shot, dad would still be working at Food Lion.

Date: November 10, 2007 11:41AM

Father got 3 years in jail for lying on his form 4473 about pot use.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071109/METRO/111090074/1004

It should be noted that the references to "AK-47" most likely refer to an AK variant or clone such as a WASR-10 or an SAR-1, etc. and not in fact a full auto AK-47 that most people think of.

Posted by: Incubus ()
Date: November 10, 2007 04:20PM

What is really sad is that before Michael Kennedy went on his mission he told his friends what his plans were and gave them all his stuff including stereo/video equipment, cd's, all his pot and more, and nobody told anybody.

Posted by: hellothere ()
Date: November 10, 2007 05:42PM

What stood out for me in the newspaper article was that the box with the guns was locked and Michael had to use an ax to get into it. I had thought the guns were lying around. Sounds like he was pretty determined. That's not to excuse his parents, I just thought it was new info.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 10, 2007 06:18PM

I thought he shot more than 2 coppers. Am I wrong?

Posted by: dirtyharry ()
Date: November 10, 2007 10:41PM

Several other officers were injured and treated at the scene, a total of three were transported to the hospital according to past new accounts. Horrible day for us all.

I had some degree of sympathy for Mr Kennedy Sr. until I learned that he knew his son had broken into the gun safe and failed to alert police.

Their daughter needs our prayers, she is the only victim in her family.The parents were practically accomplices.

Many lives changed Permanently that day, unnecessarily. It wasn't some tragic, unpreventable disaster but rather intentional disregard for other people.

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: November 13, 2007 02:12PM

Incubus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is really sad is that before Michael Kennedy
> went on his mission he told his friends what his
> plans were and gave them all his stuff including
> stereo/video equipment, cd's, all his pot and
> more, and nobody told anybody.

this is not true.

Posted by: TXRoadhouse ()
Date: November 13, 2007 03:29PM

ryan wrote:
-----------------------------------------

this is not true.

Really?

http://wjz.com/topstories/Fairfax.Chantilly.Police.2.422222.html

Kennedy's classmates recalled that he would sometimes talk about attacking police, but no one ever reported the statements to school officials or authorities.

"He started making those jokes about shooting up a police station about a year ago, but we never took him seriously," said Yasmeen Davis, 18, who graduated with Kennedy last year from Westfield High School.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.