HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is it possible for a 15-year old first time worker to get minimum wage at Giant Food?
Posted by: IsItPossible ()
Date: April 06, 2011 06:07PM

Hey guys. Lately, I was wondering about getting a job. At first, I thought I was too young to get one, but when I looked this up, I found it possible to get a job at 15. First off, I was told you might not get minimum wage if you work at such a young age. Is this true? Second of all, the Giant Food in Springfield Plaza, are they hiring and/or allowing applications? Thanks for your help guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible for a 15-year old first time worker to get minimum wage at Giant Food?
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: April 06, 2011 06:14PM

Call Giant and ask if they're hiring.

Re: Is it possible for a 15-year old first time worker to get minimum wage at Giant Food?
Date: April 06, 2011 06:16PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Call Giant and ask if they're hiring.

Ok, but isn't it true that most of the time grocery stores allow applications at any time? And can you try answering my other question please?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: April 06, 2011 06:18PM

You can work at 15. You can make minimum wage. I've never worked at Giant and don't know of their hiring practices. I would imagine like most places, if they don't need you right away, they throw your application in the trash. Hope that helps!

Posted by: J.C. ()
Date: April 06, 2011 06:57PM

You can apply at any Giant with their job kiosks in the stores. Each store has their own needs in what positions they need to hire. Since you are to young to drive, go to the store you live closest to and see if they have any openings.

Posted by: fuzzymunkey ()
Date: April 06, 2011 07:17PM

From the U.S Dept. of Labor website:

A minimum wage of not less than $4.25 may be paid to employees under the age of 20 for their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with any employer as long as their work does not displace other workers. After 90 consecutive days of employment, or when the worker reaches age 20 (whichever comes first), the worker must receive at least the federal minimum wage.

Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: April 06, 2011 07:49PM

I was in your position years ago when I applied at Safeway. Took them 4 months to get around to contacting me and eventually hiring me. I was offered a choice of two positions and the lowest paid more than minimum wage. Giant'll pay you minimum or above...same union. Since your are only 15 you'll probably be hired to bag groceries and corral baskarts.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:45PM

maybe you could get off this forum and start filling out some online applications. Better yet when mom or dad have time, they could drive you to some places. I'm glad to see that you want to work to make your own money. Good luck

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:49PM

The Giant at Franklin Farms has a bunch of kids working there. You should be good to go.

Posted by: giant employee ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:52PM

I started at giant as a bagger at 15, because of the union, and collective bargaining, you would start at minimum wage. I know that at my store they don't hire people that young currently because of the restriction on hours from the gov't, the only job you can do at 15 is bagging. To be honest, they'd rather schedule someone who can cashier and bag instead of just bag. Good luck if you do get hired, I love working at giant!

Posted by: 14? ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:55PM

HOW about 14 years old?
can i work there? :I

Posted by: 14! ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:56PM

yeah but only as a bagged and as said about they'd rather hire a cashier who can do both bagging and ringing upping..but try and apply either way, can't hurt

Posted by: say ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:27PM

When I was a kid (60's), you had to get a work permit if you were under a certain age. I think (can't remember for sure) that I got the permit at the guidance office at my FCPS high school.

Is this no longer done?

Date: April 06, 2011 11:30PM

say Wrote:
> When I was a kid (60's), you had to get a work
> permit if you were under a certain age. I think
> (can't remember for sure) that I got the permit at
> the guidance office at my FCPS high school.
>
> Is this no longer done?

Yeah, I had to get one, but you needed to have the job lined up first in order to get the permit.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: April 06, 2011 11:54PM

Don't you need a workers permit if you're under 16? And I would expect that you would get minimum wage.

496-you live in Franklin Farms too?

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: April 07, 2011 12:57AM

Giant used to have an office that did all their hiring at that shopping center near Fair City Mall where the Record and Tape exchange, the SCUBA shop, and Chuck E Cheese are. That's where I got hired when I worked there. They didn't take applications at the stores except for holiday work, I think.

Date: April 07, 2011 07:50PM

Thank you guys so much for your kind help! All your info led me to the following answers: I can earn minimum wage for my age, but I'll probably be hired as a bagger since I'm so young. Since nowadays, cashiers bag for the customers, I have a slight lower chance that I can't get a bagging job, but I can certainly try.

Last but not least, I wanted to ask one more question. Do you guys know what the EXACT process might be to get this whole job thing started? For example, do I have to first contact Giant, then fill out their application, THEN get my work permit, or something like that? If one of you could tell me what the EXACT process is to get a job with Giant, that will be great. If you don't know the process, but do know who I can ask for the process, that'll be great too. Thanks!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 07, 2011 09:21PM

Stinkfist Wrote:
> Don't you need a workers permit if you're under
> 16? And I would expect that you would get minimum
> wage.
>
>
> 496-you live in Franklin Farms too?

Franklin Glen

Date: April 07, 2011 10:31PM

IsItPossible Wrote:
> Thank you guys so much for your kind help! All
> your info led me to the following answers: I can
> earn minimum wage for my age, but I'll probably be
> hired as a bagger since I'm so young. Since
> nowadays, cashiers bag for the customers, I have a
> slight lower chance that I can't get a bagging
> job, but I can certainly try.
>
> Last but not least, I wanted to ask one more
> question. Do you guys know what the EXACT process
> might be to get this whole job thing started? For
> example, do I have to first contact Giant, then
> fill out their application, THEN get my work
> permit, or something like that? If one of you
> could tell me what the EXACT process is to get a
> job with Giant, that will be great. If you don't
> know the process, but do know who I can ask for
> the process, that'll be great too. Thanks!

1)apply online
2)go into store and ask to speak to hiring manager
3)if hired, you will start with all of the new hire paperwork, which includes getting a work permit from school.

Date: April 08, 2011 11:27PM

Thanks for the info, but I don't qualify according to the application. I'll try another...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.