HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wegmans going downhill
Posted by: Noah ()
Date: August 22, 2005 03:32PM

Please allow me to state before my rant that I am not a racist person at all. I just really really getting fed up with Wegman's hiring people who can't speak a damn word of English! I never have problems getting cold cuts, or steaks in the butcher area, or cheese, or anything other than the prepared foods section. Has anyone else ordered a sub from 3 old asian women who can barely make out what you are saying? I ordered an Italian Sub - which is cold cuts, peppers, oil and vinegar, etc. - basic Italian Sub. These knuckleheads put mayonnaise and mustard all over it. MY GOD - WAKE UP!!!! Also, getting coffee in the morning in the worst, they don't speak English either - and the two of them running the counter don't even speak a common language between them, so they can't even ask eachother for help if the first one doesn't get it. WAKE UP!!! If I wanted to get crap food and deal with non-english speaking people who don't really care about their jobs, then I would go to Safeway - instead I go to Wegmans because it's supposed to be high-end with people who put the customer first. If so, put the customer first by hiring some people who can converse with the customers. On another note - the black kid who works the pizza counter is AWESOME. Singing, smiling, always talking to people and taking care of customers. He is really good to customers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wegmans going downhill
Posted by: Cliff Peterson ()
Date: August 22, 2005 03:56PM

Not so much a comment about going downhill, but what is up with the people, especially on the weekends, who walk around like it is Disney World? If you intend to stare aimlessly with that mouth open sense of wonder, please move away from the entrance so that the rest of us can shop and get out of there.

Oh, another thing, why is it that almost no one at Wegman's knows how to put groceries in a PAPER bag? I refuse to get plastic since they only put 2-3 items in each one and my $150 order has 15+ bags if they use plastic. The managers, if you are lucky enough to have one check you out, are pretty good, but most of the cashiers act like they have never even been in a grocery store before.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 22, 2005 04:22PM

I guess I must desent... Wegman's has been the best store to hit the area since Best Buy. Not that BB rocks anymore, but it did when they started out.

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: August 22, 2005 04:28PM

Yeah, I wish there was a Wegmans in my area.

Posted by: kit.car ()
Date: August 22, 2005 05:13PM

Wegmans=Food Museum

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 22, 2005 07:10PM

PP, How far is one away from you? I used to drive from Centreville down 28 to the Assburn/Leesburg one but the one in Fairfax is easier to get to and has covered parking available.

Date: August 23, 2005 09:28AM

Ashburn is closer to my job. Would be nice to have one closer to Alexandria which is where I live.

Date: August 23, 2005 11:57AM

They are putting the next one in Burke.

It's just so annoying that I can't order my dinner from a person who understands what I'm saying. It's just getting really bad. Last night I waited in line to purchase a dinner and had to wait for the two asian women to stop their conversation loudly in their native tongue before asking if they could assist me.

Date: August 23, 2005 03:02PM

I find communications to be an obstacle everywhere. However, we have to deal with it since we're in this country.

Posted by: TJ Stevens ()
Date: August 23, 2005 03:12PM

I still love Wegman's for...

- produce quality and variety
- outstanding meat department with great dry aged steaks
- great selection of seafood at reasonable prices
- cheap, easy and good place to take the family to dinner on a Friday night
- plenty of house brand products that are as good as or better than national brands

Wegman's bugs me because...

- wine department is pricey (Trader Joe's has a smaller selection, but great prices and I am not talking about Two Buck Chuck)
- front end staff tends to be slow and inexperienced

My wife hates shopping with me because I treat it like a military operation, but I am entitled to find kinks in Wegman's armor. Overall, however, I agree that it is one of the best experiences going when compared to Giant, Safeway or SFW.

Posted by: TJ Stevens ()
Date: August 23, 2005 03:15PM

Burke? Really? Where? I cannot imagine a location with enough commercial zoning to support a store with parking unless they are going to replace Target. Plus, wouldn't this store be too close to the one in Fairfax? I do not see Wegman's trying to have the coverage that stores like Giant and Safeway have with stores every 2-3 miles.

Re: Communication Breakdown!
Posted by: Daniel J ()
Date: August 24, 2005 12:23AM

Replying to PaperPusher's: I find communications to be an obstacle everywhere. However, we have to deal with it since we're in this country.
------------

On a trip cross country, I volunteered at a holistic healing resort in Sedona, Arizona. This place was owned and operated by Koreans. I stayed there a little over a month. Even though they spoke 'english,' the first week or so working 8hrs a day with them was some what flustering. After that I learned to pay attention to more then just the words... body language, eye contact, tone of voice. Mabey I was concentrating too much in a sence. But then again, some people dont know any english and still get hired at many places. In my opinion, if their legal its all good just as long as they dont deal with the 'public' so to say.

Trader Joes
-----------------------
Decent selection
Best Price
somewhat small beer/wine section but some RARE selections (good price)
More of a Mom and pops chain if that makes any sence.

Wegmans
----------------------
Best selection by far, & will make custom orders
Decent Price
in my opinion the stores not set-up very good.

Whole Foods/Fresh Fields
---------------------------------
Nice selection, could have more produce and cafe style food bars.
Very overpriced, atleast what i remember.
Decent beer/wine but then again pricey
---------------------------------------

The people that work at these stores change so often/frequently I cant comment.
Anyone know how these chains treat their employes?

Date: August 24, 2005 10:33AM

Certainly if one spends enough time around a particular accent, listening skills adjust to the accent. Problem seems to be that in this area, there are such a variety of accents that it's difficult pick up on a particular accent in the short amount of time we interact with the person behind the counter.

Posted by: Ken Brockman ()
Date: August 25, 2005 04:27PM

Noah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are putting the next one in Burke.
>
> It's just getting really bad. Last night I waited
> in line to purchase a dinner and had to wait for
> the two asian women to stop their conversation
> loudly in their native tongue before asking if
> they could assist me.

You had to wait in line? --WTF IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO!!!
They didn't take your order right away? --OMG!!! BURN THEM, TIE THEM UP AND BURN THEM!!!
They were talking loudly in their native tongue? -- WHERE'S MY GUN? TIME FOR PAYBACK!

Hey, Noah, sounds to me like you're an as$hole customer who likes to make mountains out of molehills.
If you don't want to die of a heartattack due to highblood pressure, you need to learn to relax. Everyone gets their food orders messed up at every restaurant all the time... Just politely send it back, and ask them to get it right.
If your fat as$ is soooo damn hungry that you can't wait in line and wait to be served, then go to a real fast food restaurant, tubby. That's where you belong.

I bet 10 to 1 that, for every person that hates food service workers for whatever reason, there are a thousand people who hate fat, easily-irrated, impatient, high-blood pressure asshole food customers like you.

Posted by: helladult ()
Date: August 25, 2005 05:06PM

You hit that nail on the head Ken!

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: August 25, 2005 07:35PM

Noah Wrote:
> Please allow me to state before my rant that I am
> not a racist person at all.

> On another note - the black kid who works the pizza
> counter is AWESOME. Singing, smiling, always talking
> to people and taking care of customers. He is really
> good to customers.

Why did you feel the need to point out that the black kid provides good service? The majority of black people in this area do speak English. Surely there must be some white people at your Wegmans who speak English and provide you with the level of service you're accustomed to. Why not praise them along with the nice little black boy who sings and entertains you while providing service?

Face it, you're racist.

Date: August 25, 2005 07:50PM

Yep - I'm racist, and Ken is gay. That sucks.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 26, 2005 09:52AM

PaperPusher Wrote:
> Certainly if one spends enough time around a
> particular accent, listening skills adjust to the
> accent. Problem seems to be that in this area,
> there are such a variety of accents that it's
> difficult pick up on a particular accent in the
> short amount of time we interact with the person
> behind the counter.

sometimes it's not just a matter of understanding an accent, rather it's they lack the vocabulary to express themselves. sometimes the language is so butchered it takes three of four times before you understand them. it's even worse when they cannot understand you.

some people have better linguistic skills than others for example, my father can understand anyone that has english as a second language on the phone and it's quite amazing to say the least. personally, i have a mild ability to comprehend slaughtered english. i agree though that if someone is to work a position with direct verbal interaction with people, they should have a basic grasp and ability to speak english. the fact that "there is no official language" is complete bullshit. what language are laws written in? they are ALWAYS written in english. i hate the fact that there are people who have lived most of a decade in the presence of english speakers and still REFUSE to learn enlish. not being able to yet is one thing but when you refuse to learn english is where i draw the line. i say that part of the application for citizenship should be to read the constitution that is printed in typed english. meh.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 26, 2005 11:38AM

Gravis, I agree completely. I didn't consider the lack of vocabulary aspect.

Posted by: downthestreet ()
Date: August 31, 2005 01:24PM

pgens Wrote:
> I guess I must desent... Wegman's has been the
> best store to hit the area since Best Buy. Not
> that BB rocks anymore, but it did when they
> started out.

you remember when n64 was big and all those tvs they used to pimp it.... BB was the shit

Posted by: wegman's is owned by an Apostate Jew! ()
Date: June 23, 2012 05:36PM

'nough said!! Educate yourself!! Google "rothchild"!!

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:18PM

Resurrecting a thread after 6 years and 10 months? Is that an FFXU record???

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: June 23, 2012 10:11PM

If it isn't, someone will surely try to break it.

Posted by: D.D. ()
Date: June 24, 2012 03:23AM

You said it brotha harrrummmppphhh

I must note not crazy about Wegman's going with so much house brands but I guess lot of grocery stores seem to be taking that route these days. I still think house brands for the most part suck still

Posted by: Spanky ()
Date: June 24, 2012 09:16AM

But what ever happened to the happy, smiling, entertaining negro boy? I'll bet he became the Beltway Sniper, angry at all the white folks who encouraged his minstrel show.
Attachments:
buckwheat.jpg

Posted by: Harry Reems ()
Date: June 25, 2012 08:24AM

Noah,

Ken is right....settle down before you hurt yourself...or someone else. We live in FAIRFAX COUNTY. Want white people to make you sub? Move to Idaho or Utah. Jeeze. What's up with all the anger!?!

Posted by: We need ()
Date: June 25, 2012 08:35AM

Another Wegmans in Fairfax. Maybe another one further out. The current on is a cluster fuck.

Plus the lines are awful.

Posted by: *one ()
Date: June 25, 2012 08:36AM

Sorry.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:29AM

Harry Reems Wrote:
> Noah,
>
> Ken is right....settle down before you hurt
> yourself...or someone else. We live in FAIRFAX
> COUNTY. Want white people to make you sub? Move
> to Idaho or Utah. Jeeze. What's up with all the
> anger!?!

He didn't say white people. Is it too much to ask to have someone who speaks English?

Posted by: Wegmanly ()
Date: June 25, 2012 03:29PM

From day one I never understood the people who just come and gawk at....food! It's amazing to see people just stare at sushi. I thought as more Wegman's and Whole Foods, etc opened, there would be fewer food gawkers, but no. Almost 1/4 of the people who go to the fairfax Wegman's on weekends are there to just look and point and be amazed by food.

Posted by: Amazed is awesome ()
Date: June 25, 2012 05:12PM

It is like Disney World to them. They can look but not buy.

Posted by: egmans ()
Date: June 25, 2012 05:24PM

Dulles-Ashburn one has had great service since it was opened several years ago.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: June 25, 2012 05:34PM

I went to the one in Fairfax for lunch+shopping today. The food bar(s) have created this massive clusterfuck to get to the registers, there's really gotta be a better place for the dessert bar. There needs to be more organization of the food. I also noticed a satellite cheese counter next to the service deli which was nice and annoying. But overall a pleasant trip, I just wish they'd keep up with the new foods! I had 3 coupons that didn't get used today because they didn't have the products in this weeks coupons.

Posted by: Focused ()
Date: June 25, 2012 06:26PM

Wegmanly Wrote:
> From day one I never understood the people who
> just come and gawk at....food! It's amazing to
> see people just stare at sushi. I thought as more
> Wegman's and Whole Foods, etc opened, there would
> be fewer food gawkers, but no. Almost 1/4 of the
> people who go to the fairfax Wegman's on weekends
> are there to just look and point and be amazed by
> food.

Yep...I call 'em "tourists". And have suggested to Wegman's management that they need to charge folks for gawking without buying.

What I find remarkable is that, for all their great service etc., the front end staff act like returns are a rarity. We had some potato salad that was bad when we bought it; a week later I returned the lid. They asked where the salad was. Do they really think I'm going to keep $4 worth of spoiled potato salad for a week? Do they really think that, on a receipt for over $200, I'm going to try to scam them for $4? I know people do dumb things, but that just isn't how grocery stores work around here. I've returned stuff at TJ's that they don't even carry any more: when they said that, I reached for the item, assuming they wouldn't take it back -- but they said "No, it's fine" and took it anyway. Even Giant, for all their precipitous decline, never hassles me.

I've written Wegman's about this, got no response, which is also kind of sad.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 25, 2012 06:53PM

Focused Wrote:
> Wegmanly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > From day one I never understood the people who
> > just come and gawk at....food! It's amazing to
> > see people just stare at sushi. I thought as
> more
> > Wegman's and Whole Foods, etc opened, there
> would
> > be fewer food gawkers, but no. Almost 1/4 of
> the
> > people who go to the fairfax Wegman's on
> weekends
> > are there to just look and point and be amazed
> by
> > food.
>
> Yep...I call 'em "tourists". And have suggested to
> Wegman's management that they need to charge folks
> for gawking without buying.
>
> What I find remarkable is that, for all their
> great service etc., the front end staff act like
> returns are a rarity. We had some potato salad
> that was bad when we bought it; a week later I
> returned the lid. They asked where the salad was.
> Do they really think I'm going to keep $4 worth of
> spoiled potato salad for a week? Do they really
> think that, on a receipt for over $200, I'm going
> to try to scam them for $4? I know people do dumb
> things, but that just isn't how grocery stores
> work around here. I've returned stuff at TJ's that
> they don't even carry any more: when they said
> that, I reached for the item, assuming they
> wouldn't take it back -- but they said "No, it's
> fine" and took it anyway. Even Giant, for all
> their precipitous decline, never hassles me.
>
> I've written Wegman's about this, got no response,
> which is also kind of sad.

I found out most chains will give twice your money back. So buy twice as much as you need.

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:02PM

We need Wrote:
> Another Wegmans in Fairfax. Maybe another one
> further out. The current on is a cluster fuck.
>
> Plus the lines are awful.

They are putting one at the corner of Telegraph and Beulah right across from the Red, Hot, and Blue.

I hit the Wegman's out in Gainesville. Much less stressful than the one in Fairfax. Only go for certain things like steaks and stuff. The usually have better steaks that Harris Teeter which tend to be on the thin side at times. Also the chocolate, peanut-butter filled pretzel bites are awesome.

Date: June 25, 2012 11:10PM

I can't stand Wegmans. Bring a baseball bat when you shop there. I'd much rather go to Harris Teeter which is consistently more expensive but on par with quality.

Posted by: Zippy ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:49PM

New Wegman's in Kingstowne is expected to be completed in Spring 2014. We'll see.

Posted by: Attn Wegmans Shoppers ()
Date: June 26, 2012 06:54AM

Wegman's is the best anywhere. I go to enjoy the hot women who shop there, but it's also a big plus that they are not saddled with a union. Union employees at other grocery stores are always lazy and have negative attitudes.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.