HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Vienna Blockbuster also closing
Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: February 25, 2011 03:42AM

Went in the other day and lots of boxes. Told they were closing because the owner was asking too much on the new lease. I believe several in the Reston area have also recently shuttered. That leaves the Fairfax City Blockbuster at Fairfax Circle shopping center as the last one open in this immediate area.
In The End

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vienna Blockbuster also closing
Posted by: 9 volt ()
Date: February 25, 2011 06:55AM

i know its loudoun county but the blockbuster in south riding is gone too.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 25, 2011 07:05AM

Wow, this is crazy. It sucks too, because I used to really enjoy walking a short distance just to rent or return a movie. We used to get a movie most weekends, but we haven't done that in a while now.

Blockbuster is selling the company at an auction this April I believe, but they explicitly said that we shouldn't notice the process affecting our local stores. Yeah, HA, that sure worked out!

The one at North Point in Reston is selling videos at a discounted rate until at least March 13th I was told. Some of the prices aren't that low yet, but it's worth checking out. I already copped a Blu-Ray up there.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 07:07AM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: Internet TV ()
Date: February 25, 2011 08:02AM

Hulu.

Posted by: <**> ()
Date: February 25, 2011 11:59AM

Who the fuck rents from a video store anymore? Probably the same people that write checks at the supermarket, eh?

Redbox and Netflix (both instant download and via mail) have been what I use for thepast 5 or 6 years.

Posted by: CrabbyNative ()
Date: February 25, 2011 12:02PM

Video stores are dinosaurs now with Netflix, Redbox and a multitude of other easier
options. Maybe the landlords can make better use of the old Blockbuster spaces.

Posted by: Store Leases ()
Date: February 25, 2011 06:50PM

CrabbyNative Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe the landlords can make better use
> of the old Blockbuster spaces.

Yeah, maybe they could have a Quiznos or a Subway open up in the location.

Posted by: Vienna Director of Business Development ()
Date: February 25, 2011 09:39PM

Store Leases Wrote:
> CrabbyNative Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe the landlords can make better use
> > of the old Blockbuster spaces.
>
> Yeah, maybe they could have a Quiznos or a Subway
> open up in the location.

That space has room for both, with a nail salon "sandwiched" in between! That would be awesome!

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 25, 2011 09:52PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> I used
> to really enjoy walking a short distance just to
> rent or return a movie

No need to walk anywhere, Netflix is a much better deal. Stream your movies to your TV and pay $8 a month, peanuts for what you get.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Date: February 26, 2011 03:34AM

rumor is a new mattress store or nail salon will be coming to Vienna
damn shame won't be a psychic

the thing about online video rentals is I get the feeling folks just go to the same old same old al the time
what I like about a store is you can't wonder around and maybe discover some new stuff to watch
that's why I miss tower Records
I find going thru the internet can be a bit ponderous

Posted by: sy ()
Date: February 26, 2011 03:06PM

Will really miss Vienna Blockbuster.

Posted by: Blockbuster ()
Date: February 28, 2011 09:32AM

Blockbuster in Greenbriar Shopping Center is going out of business as well. Shame to see all these stores go. I guess they can't compete anymore with the Netflix and Direct TV movies.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 28, 2011 09:49AM

wally pip Wrote:
> what I like about a store is you can't wonder
> around and maybe discover some new stuff to watch
> that's why I miss tower Records
> I find going thru the internet can be a bit
> ponderous

You can't? I was usually able to "wonder around" stores.

I found that to be ponderous. If I'm looking for something and can't find it in a store, I don't know if it is there and misplaced or if perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot. Online it's a matter of easy searching, and assuming I am looking for "Wonder Woman" and don't key in "Wander Woman" I'll find what I am looking for.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:16PM

The one in Sterling had a giant 'THIS LOCATION ONLY' closing sign. Yeah right.

Also they were offering to sell previously-viewed DVD's for $10. Ummm... that's not an enticing deal. Make it $5 and I might.

Posted by: Goodie! ()
Date: February 28, 2011 03:21PM

I know a Fresh Market is going in the old That's Amore! location within that same shopping center, but wouldn't it be just grand if yet another supermarket took that spot? I'd love a Food Lion?

Another suggestion; how about a bank or a drugstore? My needs are not being met as I only have a CVS, a Walgreens, a Rexall and a Rite Aid. How about some freedom of choice?

Anyone know where I could find a mattress store? It is truly exhausting to live in Vienna. You try battling all that traffic on Maple just to run errands (where can I get my nails done?) and tell me that you don't feel like backing your minivan into a Taco Bell!

Date: March 03, 2011 12:30AM

Was out in Chantilly Wed. evening and saw the Chantilly Blockbuster is also closing. Looks like Blockbuster is pulling out of Fairfax County. Wonder if the chain has any plans to come out of bankruptcy or have pretty much tossed in the towel.

Posted by: Your Grandma ()
Date: March 03, 2011 02:22PM

I'll just take my business to Erol's. I still have my membership card and some of their tapes around here.

Date: March 04, 2011 06:04AM

Does Mr. Erol's still have a business of some kind? And does erols.com still exist?
What happened to their Oscar party this year?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 04, 2011 06:43AM

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:45AM

They still have one in Clifton. I drop of mailed movies there for a free rental. Kids like to go there to see what else is available. Redbox doesn't cut it for kids.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.