HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Too many points-time up
Posted by: Zip ()
Date: October 22, 2007 11:29AM

What happens when you move to another state and get a different state license, do your points follow or somehow transfer or convert? I am currently 23y.o. and have 22 points on my Virginia license. Started off with 34 at the age of 18. Got many tickets. 5 for speeding 20 over and 1 for running a light . All in a 6 month period. All of them were during the night and all of them were prepayable. I remember an officer telling me that since I was the only one on the road and its late at night the ticket was written under a different code. I ended up prepaying all of them and somehow never had my license taken away, I did call dmv every now and then to make sure. Now its been over 5 years since I had a ticket and I have taken the clinic twice which gave me 10 good points and you get one back every two years. I recently graduated with a bachelors in engineering and moving to another state due to a job relocation and was wondering the same thing I started this topic with, do your point convert ???
Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too many points-time up
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 22, 2007 12:07PM

It depends on the State. I think if you live in Virginia and change to a Maryland license the record of the offenses is maintained but you only get points for certain VA violations.

Now if your drivers license is suspended or DUI I'm pretty sure that most all 48 States that particapate in the DLC (Driver License Compact) will not issues a new license. You may also have to pay tickets in full before transfering.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: October 22, 2007 12:33PM

Congratulations on your degree and new job! And for five years of no violations.

Check with the Virginia DMVhttps://www.dmv.virginia.gov/? and with the new state's equivalent. There is something called reciprocity.

Also, check with your insurance carrier. After five years your rates may have come down. If married, or soon to be 24, you may be pleasantly surprised to see lower premiums. Also, there is a good chance that in your new location and state, rates will be lower.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: October 22, 2007 12:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.