HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Inspection Sticker.
Posted by: dla ()
Date: October 18, 2007 08:14PM

Hey
whats the best way to take off an inspection sticker off of one car and post it onto another???? I really need help. Dont have the money for repairs and I really depened on my car. I am really tied to my paycheck that goes to the bills and cant afford tickets. I know that this is wrong but I am really limited on choices and funds. Any help greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inspection Sticker.
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 18, 2007 08:33PM

you're going to want to take it off with a razor blade or similar. Failing that, anything that removes adhesive will work but then you'll need to find a way to get it to stick to the new car.

BTW when admitting to doing illegal activities and such, you'll want to post from a computer at a place like a library or internet cafe so it wont be traced to you.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 18, 2007 08:36PM

come on by my shop and I can help you out. I'm at 4110 Chain Bridge Rd. I'll be there tomorrow at about 8:30 until lunchtime. Ask for Ken. Looking forward to meeting you!

Posted by: Sticker Shock ()
Date: October 18, 2007 08:44PM

Assuming you are doing this because you have to replace the windshield

This is an interesting post

LAST YEAR I HAD TO HAVE A CRACKED WINDSHIELD REPLACED.I ASKED ABOUT THE INSPECTION STICKER AND THE REGISTRATION STICKER ON CRACKED WINDSHIELD MAN TOLD ME "NO PROBLEM.HE COULD PEEL THEM OFF". HE SPRAYED THE STICKERS WITH A SPRAY CAN OF GLASS CLEANER.(ANY BRAND WILL DO). AFTER
APROX 5 MINUTES THE OLD STICKERS WHERE PEELED OFF WITH NO EFFORT AND NO DAMAGE TO THEM AND PUT THEM ON THE NEW WINDSHIELD
GIVE THIS A TRY.

Posted by: . ()
Date: October 18, 2007 09:38PM

Sticker Shock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Assuming you are doing this because you have to
> replace the windshield
>

You assume wrong.

§ 46.2-1173. Imitation or counterfeit inspection stickers.

No person shall make, issue, or knowingly use any imitation or counterfeit of an official safety inspection sticker.

No person shall display or cause or permit to be displayed upon any vehicle any safety inspection sticker knowing it to be fictitious or issued for another vehicle.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: October 18, 2007 10:45PM

Since inspection stickers now have vehicle type/make, etc on the back, you are playing with fire, so-to-speak.

What did the car "fail" for?

If you don't have money for repairs, you probably won't have money for a lawyer, if busted.

Re: 4110 Chain Bridge Rd. - Nice, the old GDC garage I presume, nice ;-)

Date: October 18, 2007 11:46PM

i don't understand...first i had to park my car like REALLY far away to get into this this place. and when i walked in they wanted my cell phone, and i had to walk though a sercitry checkpoint...
than i asked where i might kind "ken".

than...ken turns out to me a cop..
he wrote me a ticket...

4110 Chain Bridge Rd...isn't a car shop!
i can't belive they have undercover places now..

Date: October 19, 2007 01:02AM

well, I know a lot of places in manassas that do it but its a 45 minute drive for me. Most cops dont really check or even look at the inspection sticker and second I just bought the car so "it could have been from a previous owner".third its not that big of a charge. fourth while I am at a college computer I would really doubt a so called "investigator" would be after me over a $15 inspection sticker . Worst comes to worst its a prepayeable $60 ticket.
The car I am taking off of , just has the signature of the inspector, no car info. regarding to ffxn8v post, why would someone even bother going to court over this and spend money on a lawyer when its a really cheap prepayable ticket?

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:47AM

Thank you all for this information to commit fraud. Remember that the serial numbers on the sticker are easily traced to the registered car and owner. Why even take the chance of being apprehended and have this unlawful action on your record? The fact that there are willing accomplices make them complicit also.
Attachments:
carflash.gif

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 19, 2007 11:20AM

I've often wondered how many inspection stickers are fake. I see a lot cars that look like they were not inspected or have one headlight out, yet they have a valid VA inspection sticker. I have never seen a FFX officer write down the inspection serial number and then run it a computer. They usually just run tags and VIN's. I guess they feel the inspection sticker serial number is to much of a hassle.

DC police however seem to run everything. I guess they have a higher rate of fraud on stickers.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 19, 2007 11:49AM

I've put somebody else's on before, never got hassled by the man, although it would have been real easy for them.

--

dunno about getting them off, I would think a heat gun or alcohol based cleaner would get it off..

but putting it back on all you need is some clear adhesive spray (arts & crafts store i bet)

be careful of the big VOID peelouts in the sticker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2007 11:50AM by bdimag.

Posted by: native ()
Date: October 20, 2007 08:26PM

This is absolutely hilarious. Wow, what a vicious crime. College kid trying to get by.......Yep , DLA you better be ready go down south for your unforgetable crime. Its not like the cops looking for drug dealers, rapists, killers, kidnappers or even worse......passing out speeding tickets and getting wreckless drivers of the road NO!!!!! Its this awfull crime that they are after. They will arrest you and your name and picture will be distributed to watch out for your wreckless behavior. WHAT A JOKE> Most of you going to get on the road today , many of you will be speeding, some will be drunk and driving, some will drive through the red light. Some will get a ticket/arrested and worst of the worst the ones that dont , the ones that will get home get on the computer and bash on this kid thats all he/she wants is to get an inspection sticker......wow!!!!! Bless our heroes, support our troops!!!

Date: October 20, 2007 08:35PM

The joke I suppose, is that this person who cannot afford all this, cannot afford repairs. That is the very point of the SAFETY inspection.

I suppose we could presume the original poster, does not have adequate insurance - maybe, none at all?

What are the repairs needed for this car? And is the risk worth the liability it comes with?

Food for thought...

Date: October 20, 2007 08:42PM

Think about it. just to get ur car checked out $80 already. Nowdays you can fail inspection for anything. I have seen new high luxury cars running around with the pink slip on the window.......Do you honestly think he is the biggest danger on the road. Tonight is a saturday night......think drunk drivers, he will be the lowest risk on the road. I believe you need insurance to register the car, liability assuming he/she is probably driving some older beater, how high can the insurance possibly be? $20 for liability.... Im sure the cops have bigger fish to fry.....and yes when I was in school, food came before inspection stickers, lol.

Posted by: Grunt ()
Date: October 20, 2007 08:46PM

do not feed the trolls

Date: October 20, 2007 08:49PM

native Wrote:
> Think about it. just to get ur car checked out $80
> already. Nowdays you can fail inspection for
> anything. I have seen new high luxury cars running
> around with the pink slip on the window.......Do
> you honestly think he is the biggest danger on the
> road. Tonight is a saturday night......think drunk
> drivers, he will be the lowest risk on the road. I
> believe you need insurance to register the car,
> liability assuming he/she is probably driving some
> older beater, how high can the insurance possibly
> be? $20 for liability.... Im sure the cops have
> bigger fish to fry.....and yes when I was in
> school, food came before inspection stickers, lol.

Sure, you can fail inspection for anthing however, I doubt we are talking about some "high luxury car" with a pink rejection decal.

So I will ask again, what did the car (from the original poster)
fail for?

If it was a trivial light bulb, pony up the $4.00 for a new one. If you need help changing it, ask - or look on a car forum for help.

Here is my advice for anyone who has a car in this state:

Read the inspection manual.

If you do not have access to the printed copy, read it online.

Then, with that information, "pre-inspect" your car in your driveway before you go.

Know if you have bad bulbs, worn tires or wiper blades.

Know your car and the sounds it makes when right, or if something is wrong.

I hope this has helped.

Date: October 20, 2007 08:51PM

Virginia Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Program

The Required Official Inspection Procedure, as approved by the Virginia State Police Superintendent, is as follows:

REQUIRED OFFICIAL INSPECTION PROCEDURE

Each inspection consists of the following items – for further details consult the "Official Inspection Manual":

1. - REMOVE OLD INSPECTION STICKER.

2. - DRIVE VEHICLE INTO INSPECTION LANE.

3. - INSPECT BRAKES FOR:

Worn, damaged or missing parts.
Worn, contaminated or defective linings or drums.
Leaks in system, proper fluid level.
Worn, contaminated or defective disc pads or discs.
(NOTE: A minimum of two wheels and drums must be removed from each vehicle at the time of inspection. Consult the official inspection manual for exceptions.)
4. - INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR:

Broken or missing parts.
Proper adjustment.
Standard factory equipment or equivalent.
5. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, aim, and output.
Condition of lamp, wiring and switch.
Beam indicator.
6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
Aim of fog and driving lamps.
Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)
7. – INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR:

Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
Correct indications and tell-tale (visual or audible).
Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
8. – INSPECT STEERING & SUSPENSION FOR: (Jack up front end as shown in Manual)

Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends.
Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm.
Play in steering wheel.
Wheel alignment and axle alignment.
Broken spring leaves, and worn shackles.
Shock absorbers.
Broken frame.
Broken or missing engine mounts.
Lift blocks.
9. – INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS & RIMS FOR:

Condition of tires including tread depth.
Mixing radials and bias ply tires.
Wheels that are cracked or damaged so as to affect safe operation.
10. – INSPECT MIRROR FOR:

Rigidity of mounting.
Condition of reflecting surface.
View of road to rear (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body) – (Visibility 200 feet to rear).
11. – INSPECT HORN FOR:

Electrical connections, mounting and horn button.
Emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
12. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR:

Approved type safety glass.
Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision.
Cracked, scratched or broken glass.
Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED.
Sunshading material attached to the windshield to ensure it does not extend more than 3 inches downward from the top of windshield, unless authorized by Medical Waiver Certificate.
Operation of left front door glass.
13. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR:

Operating condition.
Condition of blade.
14. – INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR:

Exhaust line-manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, connections, etc.
Leakage of gases at any point from motor to point discharged from system.
15. – INSPECT LICENSE TAGS FOR:

Illumination of rear plate.
16. – INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR:

Operating condition of hood latch.
Presence of emissions system -Evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected.
Fluid levels that are below the proper level
1. Brake fluid.
2. Power steering fluid.
Power steering belt - proper tension, wear, or absence.
17. – INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR:

Installation.
Operation.
(NOTE: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.)
18. – INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

Anchorage.
Location.
Condition.
19. – INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR:

Approved type.
Installation.
20. – INSPECT AIR BAG AND AIRBAG READINESS LIGHT FOR:

Any defects in the air bag system noted by the air bag readiness light, or otherwise indicated; or
The air bag has been deployed and has not been replaced (and is not deactivated because of a medical or other exemption and a notice is posted to indicate that it has been deactivated); or
Any part of the air bag system has been removed from the vehicle; or
If the air bag indicator fails to light, or stays on continuously.

21. – INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT & LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

Handle or opening device which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside of the vehicle.
Latching system which will hold door in its proper closed position.
22. – INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR:

Any part that is not securely fastened.
Liquid fuel leakage.
Fuel tank filler cap for presence.
23. – INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR:

(a) Holes which allow exhaust gases to enter occupant compartment.
(b) Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.

24. – ISSUE STICKER:

(a) If approved, place approval sticker on the vehicle, and give pink copy of certificate to operator.
(b) ALL DEFECTS MUST BE CORRECTED AND THE VEHICLE REINSPECTED WITHIN 15 DAYS.

THE DRIVER MAY BE IN JEOPARDY OF RECEIVING A SUMMONS FOR ANY DEFECT STILL

PRESENT ANY TIME THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAY.

(NOTE: The validity period of the rejection sticker shall include fifteen (15) days in addition to the day of the inspection.)

NOTE: If you have a specific question with regard to Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection or Inspection Requirements, you can review the safety inspection manual, in part, at MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS (http://leg1.state.va.us/).

Date: October 21, 2007 07:47PM

the car is good except its missing two corner lights. The car has top and bottom blinker lights , i am missing the two top ones. its a hrd to find part, I will try ebay. I bought the car for $5, yes five bucks. Some old lady told me it wont start and it had one flat. I put on the spare(also flat,had to use the spare of another car) and a new battery , it fired right up and I drove off. The look on her face was pricesless. Compresion is perfect, I dug into the motor and the air filter, alternator, plugs and spark plug wires appeared brand new. She said the car was well maintained but she just let it sit. Its a 1990 subaru legacy. They have a switch for dailight running lights that she left on and it drained the battery....go figure. It was also missing a few fuses and one of the wires had a short which I replaced. Now I got a car that passed emissions with ICE COLD ac and runs perfect,will be my commuter. Cant beat the price of $5. The car needs shocks , the bounce is really bad but then again it was pretty much free. Is there a junk yard in fairfax/alexandria area???/ Thanks

Posted by: manticore ()
Date: October 21, 2007 08:41PM

there's a place i've seen in leesburg though I've never dealt with them directly (and leesburg isnt exactly ffx/alexandria)

Auto Recycler of Leesburg, 229 Depot Ct Se, Leesburg, VA 20175
(703) 777-8100

I'd seriously recommend ebay though

Date: October 21, 2007 10:14PM

I got to say THANK YOU to ffxn8v for going through trouble of digging this information up. I really appreciate it!!!

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: October 22, 2007 11:58AM

http://car-part.com/ <-- junk yard search

Date: October 23, 2007 03:01PM

Manticore, thanks a lot . I actually went to the junk yard you recommended and got all the parts I need. I just passed the inspection, Thank You

Date: October 23, 2007 05:03PM

Good deal - glad it worked for you!

Posted by: RATZ'AZZ ()
Date: October 23, 2007 09:36PM

GO AHEAD SCRAPE OFF THAT STICKER AND PUT IT ON ITS CALLED UNAUTHORIZED USE OR THEFT DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE.

BARNEY WILL LOVE YA FOR THE STROKE HE GETS TO CLAIM
Attachments:
police55.gif

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: October 23, 2007 09:40PM

Smart, I never thought about going to a junk yard to get the part.

Posted by: abelito ()
Date: February 05, 2008 01:12PM

I recently got stopped for an illegal inspection sticker, is this prepayable?

Date: February 05, 2008 02:07PM

Get the car inspected and bring the proof to court, you will have it dropped.

Posted by: Ume ()
Date: August 20, 2018 10:47AM

So I got pull over a month ago for a fake safety sticker that I didn’t even know it was fake. I’m scared. But I got a new sticker from mechanic in my area. What should I do now? Would I get jail time ? Or pay the fine .

Posted by: 6YFXK ()
Date: August 20, 2018 06:39PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I've often wondered how many inspection stickers
> are fake. I see a lot cars that look like they
> were not inspected or have one headlight out, yet
> they have a valid VA inspection sticker.

Dunno about you, but I just get mine inspected once a year.
Getting a state inspection every day just seems like too much.

Of course I use those new German headlamps that last for 15 years...

Posted by: AutoParts91 ()
Date: August 20, 2018 08:49PM

Just find a small auto repair shop that will pass you without too much effort. They really don't mind, and when your car breaks down or you need repairs they know you will be back during this one year period. It's only fair the way the system works, as the big boy shops, you know who they are, rip off people every day with Check Engine Lights and other unnecessary repairs. Example: Many of the bigger shops will usually tell you you need 2 tie rods when actually one is all you need. Brakes are their biggest con to the customer and tripling the prices on parts. I've seen these big shops come out and tell customers they need $1200 in repairs and most customers haven't a clue what to do except pay. You've seen it on TV with stings on some of these shops....no need to name them, they work on commission and it's what they are trained to do. Screw the customer.

The small time shop helps you and probably during the next year you pay him back with about $600 in repairs and everyone is happy. More the rule than the exception the smaller shop will want you back as a repeat customer and give you an honest repair. It's a great system.

Posted by: h4mhl ()
Date: August 20, 2018 11:47PM

STOP REVIVING 10 YEAR OLD POSTS WITH THE SAME BULLSHIT THAT IS ALREADY ANSWERED ABOVE

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.