HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Compound at corner of Ox Road and Burke Lake Road
Posted by: noob saibot ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:40PM

Does anyone have an idea what the gated compound at the intersection of Ox and Burke Lake is? Is it a private residence or something more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compound at corner of Ox Road and Burke Lake Road
Posted by: overhead ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:59PM

Someone's nice-sized residence...with guest/something house:

View Larger Map

Date: February 05, 2011 01:02PM

Well, THAT link didn't work real well, huh? Let's try that again; if it doesn't work again, just skew/zoom around to see it - coreer of ox and burke lake:

View Larger Map

Date: February 05, 2011 01:06PM

Doesn't look like it can be anything other than a residence since there's not enough parking, however of Ox road there is a sign in front of its entrance.

Posted by: crosspointe ()
Date: February 05, 2011 02:39PM

That is a private residence called the "Edos Royal Estate." If memory serves, it was the home of a longtime elderly resident and was later purchased by a physician named Dr. Edos who renovated & built on to the house. I think he held a large open house for that neighborhood right after he moved his family in. Think this was back around 2000

Date: February 05, 2011 02:53PM

crosspointe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...That is a private residence called the "Edos Royal
> Estate." ... Dr. Edos ...

Yes, it's in the land record database - owner is now a trust "EDOSOMWAN JOHNSON A TR"

Can look it up here: http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Search/GenericSearch.aspx?mode=ADDRESS

[6821 ox rd]

Date: February 05, 2011 02:55PM

Posted by: George ()
Date: February 05, 2011 04:12PM

Posted by: All in the name of God ()
Date: February 05, 2011 06:27PM

I did not know god paid so well.

Posted by: crosspointe ()
Date: February 05, 2011 07:35PM

I remember this being something of a "feel good" story at the time..nice coverage in the Connection as a "save the historic house" tale, although it doesn't show up in their archives. Maybe not so much now. Even so, the house is a well-kept part of the neighborhood.

The prior resident must have had some difficulty. At one point in the late 90's, there was a large sign on the lawn that said something like "Thank you good neighbors for helping me!!" It seemed like a tough situation that ended in a happy way.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 08:23PM

I thought that just before the property was sold (about 10+ years ago), there was an old man cutting grass and flipped his tractor over and on top of himself.

Interesting property

Posted by: down the road ()
Date: February 05, 2011 09:43PM

I grew up within walking distance of that house - down Clifton Rd a little ways. Back in the late 80's/early-mid 90's we all thought that house was haunted... which of course was probably just a reaction to it looking old and unoccupied. I don't know if it really was unoccupied then, but we certainly never saw anyone going in or out of it until later in the 90's/2000's. It didn't look so 'kept up' back then, but the dude who bought it really made it look nice. That exterior fence was not there - at least not the big fancy posts - and the house out back was more like a shack. Looks way different now.

Posted by: to much money ()
Date: February 05, 2011 10:29PM

if you look at the jogging/bike path that runs along 123, they actually have signs posted saying that there is a driveway ahead and slow down.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 11:02PM

crosspointe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember this being something of a "feel good"
> story at the time..nice coverage in the Connection
> as a "save the historic house" tale, although it
> doesn't show up in their archives. Maybe not so
> much now. Even so, the house is a well-kept part
> of the neighborhood.
>
> The prior resident must have had some difficulty.
> At one point in the late 90's, there was a large
> sign on the lawn that said something like "Thank
> you good neighbors for helping me!!" It seemed
> like a tough situation that ended in a happy way.

I believe that sign about the neighbors helping, was when the tractor flipped over on him...

Posted by: Stacey ()
Date: March 23, 2011 12:31AM

It was a house and tavern in the civil war. One of the last war skirmishes was fought there when someone thought prostitutes were working there for the soldiers. Not sure which army, etc. Today it is a private residence.

Posted by: ND ()
Date: March 23, 2011 02:59AM

He's not a physician. He's some sort of minister. (a physician could not afford this piece of property)

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: March 23, 2011 07:36AM

Posted by: BNN ()
Date: March 23, 2011 09:41PM

Judge Brown owned the property. He no longer does.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 23, 2011 09:49PM

nice house - I like the little signs they put up on the bike trail about the driveway :)

Posted by: kathy ()
Date: January 29, 2015 06:38PM

This was my great uncle Paul Brown's estate. Uncle Paul was a judge and purchased Brimstone Hill.

Posted by: kathy ()
Date: January 29, 2015 06:41PM

the judge was my great uncle Paul Brown

Posted by: Brown family ()
Date: April 22, 2016 02:37PM

The property was inherited in the 1930s by Elma Donovan Brown. Her father, Jeremiah Donovan, bought the house and several hundred acres at the turn of the century. Elma's husband was Judge Brown. He died in 1966. After she died, the property stayed in the family until it was sold to Dr. Edosomwan. Kathy, I'd love to talk to you to find out how you are related.

Posted by: Chris Dyson ()
Date: May 04, 2018 03:55PM

It was the home of Judge Paul and Elma Brown. Elma was a Donovan so that might be where the Donovan's corner name comes from. Elma was my first cousin 2x Removed. I spent some time out there as a child. My grandmother lived in Georgetown and would come out to the house when she was young. A census from 1930 shows they were in the house then. Elma died in 1979 at 75.

Posted by: samabo ()
Date: May 04, 2018 05:39PM

This short video was shot on location, looks like an interesting place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLbho4byh-c

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: May 16, 2018 12:52PM

Here is some information on the home via Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/51929422_zpid/

Posted by: love me a tree ()
Date: May 16, 2018 09:42PM

absolutely gorgeous old oak tree in front of the house too.

Posted by: Cult? ()
Date: May 16, 2018 09:50PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/23/AR2005122301514.html

The U.S. Justice Department is investigating whether Fairfax City illegally discriminated against a religious institution when it blocked construction of a 200-seat church after neighbors expressed concern about potential congestion.

The federal government's intervention in the city's treatment of One God Ministry is the Washington area's first test of a five-year-old law that gives special protection to religious institutions facing zoning reviews.

Fairfax, a city of 22,000 in the center of Fairfax County, counts several churches in its 6.3 square miles, and city leaders say they welcome them. But the case of One God Ministry has dragged on for 15 months, roiling local politics, generating lawsuits, angering neighbors and racking up thousands of dollars in legal fees.

The City Council approved pastor Johnson A. Edosomwan's application for a special permit last week in an attempt to persuade the Justice Department to end its investigation.

"This was pure and simple a land-use issue, like we get with fast-food restaurants and commercial establishments," Mayor Robert F. Lederer said. "This was not a religious issue."

Edosomwan is a businessman and self-described apostle who owns a dozen properties on and around Chain Bridge Road, one of the city's main arteries. In September 2004, following the planning staff's recommendation, the council approved his application for a special permit to build a two-story, 11,000-square-foot church at 4280 and 4282 Chain Bridge Road. Another church sits across the street. But two weeks later, after meeting with neighbors, the council took another vote and reversed the approval.

Then Edosomwan sued the city, alleging that the mayor and two council members had met illegally with 20 residents to discuss concerns about the project. After negotiating with the city and agreeing to drop the lawsuit, Edosomwan tried again, resubmitting his proposal with more parking. He was turned down again in February and filed two more lawsuits against the city seeking to overturn the decision.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.