HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bid to Start School Early Dies in Virginia
Posted by: just me ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:42AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bid to Start School Early Dies in Virginia
Posted by: AintGotNoLearnin ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:03PM

Good. I think they should be out of school by Memorial Day too. They don't do squat during the last week anyway and all they really do is hear about what a great year it's been.

Date: February 04, 2011 12:14PM

I read about this in the Fairfax Times. There was supposedly a poll put out by FCPS which stated that an overwhelming percentage of parents favored rolling the start-up date to the week prior to Labor Day.

#1 They did not ask me.

#2 Sure, you are going to get favorable responses out of Fairfax. After all, 2/3 of the kids are in SAC and another week of school means one less week where Ashton and Kylie have to be taken care of by a nanny,

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: WorkingMom ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:21PM

In this county wouldn't matter if they had school year-round. Parents think nothing of taking little Michael and Caitlin out of school for extra days around Thanksgiving and Spring Break to go to Disney World or Tahoe or wherever.

Date: February 04, 2011 01:41PM

Are you one of those parents?

Posted by: WorkingMom ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:44PM

Heck no, I am a single working mom who happens to think school is more important than vacation, even if I could afford a trip somewhere.

Date: February 04, 2011 02:54PM

I have been in your shoes. Still a single parent, but my kids are all grown up now.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:05PM

Am I the only one who thinks they should be in school all year with two two-week breaks built-in?

Posted by: mjcc1987 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 03:32PM

In the 70's when I was in 9th - 12th, our school district had two schools that were year round with 2 week breaks for winter and summer. Needless to say, I was prepared for college, well, actually over prepared. We are NOT an agrarian society and don't need the brats for planting or harvesting (unless its organs).

Posted by: 0aktonmom ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:53PM

WorkingMom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In this county wouldn't matter if they had school
> year-round. Parents think nothing of taking little
> Michael and Caitlin out of school for extra days
> around Thanksgiving and Spring Break to go to
> Disney World or Tahoe or wherever.

Don't be a hater! Better get the quality time while you can. You are probably the same selfish mom complaing about missing work because of school closing last Wed. Every vacation we have taken our kids out of school for gave them a type of education they can't get in school.

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:08PM

Based on this article, VA schools will not close a week before Labor Day all because of the "Kings' Dominion" law? Kings Dominion management is worried that if schools started a week early, it would affect their tourism season and the workforce at KD?

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:31PM

AintGotNoLearnin Wrote:
> Good. I think they should be out of school by
> Memorial Day too. They don't do squat during the
> last week anyway and all they really do is hear
> about what a great year it's been.

Damn skippy. Some years when I was in FCPS, we almost went all the way until July. It was really pathetic. Up in parts of NY that I'm familiar with, they get out earlier, and they get two weeks for Spring Break as well (Some even get a week plus long Fall Break), yet they learn just as much.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: KD ()
Date: February 06, 2011 10:36AM

Robin Hood Wrote:
> Based on this article, VA schools will not close a
> week before Labor Day all because of the "Kings'
> Dominion" law? Kings Dominion management is
> worried that if schools started a week early, it
> would affect their tourism season and the
> workforce at KD?

Ironically I went to Kings Dominion about a week before school was to start, and the water rides were all closed because the college kids had gone back to school and they didn't have enough staffing. So what good did it do that the elementary kids are still on summer vacation. Kings Dominion was quiet that week and I will never go back.

Posted by: KaT! ()
Date: February 07, 2011 08:53AM

WorkingMom Wrote:
> In this county wouldn't matter if they had school
> year-round. Parents think nothing of taking little
> Michael and Caitlin out of school for extra days
> around Thanksgiving and Spring Break to go to
> Disney World or Tahoe or wherever.

Guilty! We go to the Caribbean every other year during spring break. Last time we left on Thurs. instead of staying in school and leaving Sat. We saved about $1000.00 doing this. You raise your kids the way you see fit and others will do the same. Like somebody else wrote, don't hate.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 07, 2011 01:32PM

Robin Hood Wrote:
> Based on this article, VA schools will not close a
> week before Labor Day all because of the "Kings'
> Dominion" law? Kings Dominion management is
> worried that if schools started a week early, it
> would affect their tourism season and the
> workforce at KD?

It's been commonly called the King's Dominion Law because at the time it was passed they had the most political pull of the amusements parks in VA, but it was actually ALL the amusement parks here (KD, Busch Gardens, and a couple of small places I think in VA beach)and the tourism bureau that were behind the push to pass the law. Unfortunately, it's stuck and as someone else posted, most of their workers are actually college aged kids and they leave before then anyway. It's an outdated stupid law, but the tourism bureau is firmly behind it because of people taking vacations labor day weekend. If schools all started in Aug, there would be less tourism for labor day, therefore less revenue.

I agree school should just go year round. They spend the first month reviewing everything from the previous year anyway, so they lose a month of instruction there.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.