HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
History of Fort Washington
Posted by: Fort Washington ques ()
Date: January 31, 2011 08:43AM

Lived in FFX for 11 years and never heard of Fort Washington then twice in the past week two different people referred to Fort Washington as the area near the intersection of 50/29/236. Anybody know the history? Heard it was a prison camp from the 50's-80's. Any more to this?

xoxoxo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: History of Fort Washington
Posted by: say ()
Date: January 31, 2011 09:00AM

The area you're talking about (50/29/236), is called Kamp Washington. I don't know how it came to be called that. The prison camp was several miles south on West Ox Rd, across from Costco. It was called Camp 30.

When you hear Fort Washington, that's in Prince George's County, MD, across the River, and a bit north of Mount Vernon. It's a stone fort, on the banks of the Potomac, that was built to prevent the British from reaching Washington during the War of 1812. It didn't work out, the Brits got by it and burned Washington. A large residential area around the fort is called Fort Washington. The fort itself is now a National Park.

Posted by: Your Daddy ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:37AM

It's a stone fort, on the
> banks of the Potomac, that was built to prevent
> the British from reaching Washington during the
> War of 1812. It didn't work out, the Brits got by
> it and burned Washington.

Actually it did prevent them from coming up the Potomac to attack Washington. The Brits landed in S. Maryland and marched up to Washington, fighting in Bladensburg before marching into Washington and burning the city. But then again the fort was attacked on August 20th, two days before the Battle of Bladensburg and was given up by the commander.

Posted by: History ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:46AM

It is called Kamp Washington, becauses in the 30s there was a tourist camp in the area. Marketed to tourist that camp to visit Washington DC and Manassas.

Posted by: Innocent Bystander ()
Date: April 27, 2012 10:32AM

Actually my father lived in Fairfax in that area in the 60s and 70s and and he told me that back then that intersection was known exclusively as Fort Washington by the locals and to this day any time my family from there is referring to anything nead that intersection they always call it "Fort Washington".

Posted by: George Walker Lumber ()
Date: April 27, 2012 11:30AM

I grew up in that area in the '60's and 70's and never ever heard it referred to as Port Washington always Kamp Washington!

Posted by: Kamp Washington ()
Date: April 27, 2012 12:34PM

Attachments:
Kamp Washington.PNG

Posted by: Union Kamp Washington ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:55PM

Actually, it was originally know as Kamp Washington during the civil war because it was a long-term union camp (not a fort). The tourist camp in the early 20th centruty took its name from that.

Posted by: History Geek ()
Date: April 28, 2012 03:14PM

The prison camp that Fort Washington ques was referring to was actually at the northeast corner of Ridge Top Road and Lee Highway, just west of the area known as Kamp Washington. This was used as a German POW camp during WWII, then later as a medium-security state prison camp known as Virginia Department of Corrections Camp 30. Toward the late 50's, Camp 30 relocated to West Ox Road across from Costco, where it remained until around 2004. Back in the 70's, Camp 30 was the largest medium-security correctional institute in the state with over 130 prisioners.

Posted by: White House Motel ()
Date: April 30, 2012 09:14AM

"Back in the 70's, Camp 30 was the largest medium-security correctional institute in the state with over 130 prisioners"

My Babe Ruth team use to practice on the baseball field at that site. Listening to a prisoner trying to play like Jimi Hendrix.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 30, 2012 10:57AM

that Camp 30 was where the VDOT regional HQ is now off of West Ox

Posted by: R Rock ()
Date: November 13, 2012 11:43AM

My question is why is Kamp Washington, spelled with a "K"

Posted by: Jackay Washington ()
Date: November 13, 2012 12:02PM

I built a tree fort on my step daddys property at Mount Vernon I called it Kamp Washington

Posted by: Katsup Lover ()
Date: November 05, 2013 02:09PM

I'm guessing it has something to do with the German POWs who were imprisoned there.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.