HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Inspection, Emissions bypass
Posted by: JamesCipriani ()
Date: October 08, 2007 09:41AM

Before I even beging .....i know its illegal.
Anyways I got an older almost classic American muscle car, that will never pass
emissions or inspection in its wildest dreams. Not that there is anything wrong with the car but running straight headers(the right away) isnt exactly going to cut the emissions and who can forget about the wonderful global waming but we will let al gore bitch about that. Now that thats said, the car is 21 years old and as some know in VA the car now has to be 25 years old to be considered a classic and be promoted to antique tags followed by never having to do emissions or inspection.Is there any better way to bypass emission in this state? Inspection is an easy one , just stroll through Manassas with $10 in your hand and you will get one even if your car is a life replica of the flinstone mobile. Then there is taking the inspection of your buddies brand new mercedes and getting him a new one- win win scenario but I just cant figure out away of bypassing emissions without having to get a license in Maryland(20 year mark for antique tags) Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inspection, Emissions bypass
Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: October 08, 2007 10:06AM

Move out of Northern Virginia. The majority of counties in Virginia do not have emission requirements, and it is easier than moving to Maryland.

Also, don't rely heavily on using Antique tags in four years. Driving your car with Antique tags is restrictive. You may want to read over the code section.

ยง 46.2-730. License plates for antique motor vehicles and antique trailers; fee.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-730

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2007 10:07AM by Schrute.

Date: October 08, 2007 10:47AM

Schrut you bring up an interesting idea. In reality you do not even have to go as far as physically moving to a different county. All you need is a po box and you can register it as a legal address. If you rather have a real address. Instead of stating that you "live at P.O. Box 100. You can put down the full address of the ost office and instead of the word P.O. Box use "Suite". By federal law your mail will be delivered and you will get sufficient evidence that you reside and such and such county. What I dont understand is since you will be issued the same tags do they just "give " emission stickers for your tags along with the renewed registration???. If yes, I am heading down south tomorrow and getting me a P.O.

Date: October 08, 2007 10:53AM

btw what would be the closest county from Fairfax that does not require emissions?? Thank You

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: October 08, 2007 11:18AM

JamesCipriani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> btw what would be the closest county from Fairfax
> that does not require emissions?? Thank You

Fauquier or Stafford.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: October 08, 2007 11:37AM

A PO box is unnecessary. DMV will only take it as a mailing address anyway...you still have to provide a residence address.

When registering a car, DMV asks where the car is "garaged"...if you list a city or county that doesn't have the emissions requirement...then that's it, you're home free.

HOWEVER, your vehicle will then appear on that city or county's personal property tax rolls. If that city or county still has vehicle deals...you need one.

edited to add: There is no such thing as an emissions sticker...in citys and counties that require emissions...you have to submit it before you can purchase the license plate stickers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2007 11:40AM by duh.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 10, 2007 12:09AM

Just get yourself a big diesel truck that weighs over 8,500 lbs and you can avoid the emissions check. That seems fair doesn't it? I mean, big diesel trucks don't pollute at all.

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/mobile/mobfaq.html#wvraei

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: October 14, 2007 10:27AM

JamesCipriani Wrote:
> btw what would be the closest county from Fairfax
> that does not require emissions?? Thank You

Great theory, but Duh has it right. DMV will accept a mailing address, but you must prove and establish residency to properly document where your vehicle will be "garaged" at.

Posted by: Vinnie ()
Date: October 14, 2007 10:50AM

That is why you see so many Florida tags on cars in this area. I knew a guy who had Florida tags on his car for over twenty years.He just had some half ass home he rented out in Florida and used that as his perm address. He also got some big break on not paying Virginia income tax and I think he said there was no income tax in Florida.
Whatever the deal was he was getting over big time. With over a million cars in this area how is the government going to check out every one. That is why the car tax is so hated because of the lack of enforcement and fairness.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: October 14, 2007 11:13AM

Im curious as to how this would pass muster with an auto insurance company if
your car were stolen or involved in an accident. Wouldnt the insurance inspectors
discover "inaccurate information" as to your residency? Will they acccept a PO
Box as a legitimate address? Just wondering.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 14, 2007 05:27PM

Vinnie Wrote:
> I knew a guy who had Florida tags on
> his car for over twenty years.
> With over a million cars in this area how is
> the government going to check out every one. That
> is why the car tax is so hated because of the lack
> of enforcement and fairness.

he is part of the problem.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Vinnie ()
Date: October 14, 2007 05:36PM

I agree but since he was saving thousands each year it was a pretty good incentive not to register the car in Fairfax. He moved further south last I heard.
The insurance companies dont seem to care much as long as you pay the premiums and dont wreck your car too much or get too many tickets. As far as I know he was telling his insurance company the car was in Florida as well. He was saving money on that also as the premium was less there than in Fairfax.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 14, 2007 05:40PM

Vinnie Wrote:
> I agree but since he was saving thousands each
> year it was a pretty good incentive not to
> register the car in Fairfax. He moved further
> south last I heard.
> The insurance companies dont seem to care much as
> long as you pay the premiums and dont wreck your
> car too much or get too many tickets. As far as I
> know he was telling his insurance company the car
> was in Florida as well. He was saving money on
> that also as the premium was less there than in
> Fairfax.

i think there are a few counts of fraud he should be brought up on.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: duh ()
Date: October 14, 2007 06:26PM

Vinnie Wrote:
> That is why you see so many Florida tags on cars
> in this area. I knew a guy who had Florida tags on
> his car for over twenty years.He just had some
> half ass home he rented out in Florida and used
> that as his perm address. He also got some big
> break on not paying Virginia income tax and I
> think he said there was no income tax in Florida.
> Whatever the deal was he was getting over big
> time. With over a million cars in this area how is
> the government going to check out every one. That
> is why the car tax is so hated because of the lack
> of enforcement and fairness.

The real raeson you see so many Florida tags here is the military. Florida has no income tax, so vast numbers of military personnel change their homes of record to Florida. Texas and a few other states also have no income tax so you will see a lot of those tags around here too....same reason.

As far as lying to your insurance company....don't get caught. because they can deny coverage in cases of fraud.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: October 14, 2007 07:06PM

I had an old car that simply wouldn't pass so I took into a garage and them do work on it "to fix the emission" they tuned it, new this or that up to $700 then I went and got a waiver.

Waivers

If your vehicle fails an emission test, you must take it to a garage for emission-related repairs. The garage must be certified by Virginia's Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).

If your vehicle fails again and you paid $680 or more in emissions-related repairs, you will qualify for a waiver. The emissions-testing facility will provide you with the paperwork to apply for a waiver.

Posted by: kwg ()
Date: March 26, 2012 02:03PM

We're military, hence FL residence. Great - until....texting teenager takes out trunk and bumper. Older, great running car. Estimate > 80% of Blue book. FL rule - cannot fix, must sell for parts. So we register in VA, fix and try to find somewhere easy to pass emissions test.

Posted by: bumpity bump ()
Date: March 26, 2012 02:09PM

ain't there a limit on emissions related car repairs before ye get the emissions waiver

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: March 26, 2012 02:14PM

bumpity bump Wrote:
> ain't there a limit on emissions related car
> repairs before ye get the emissions waiver

No. There is not.

Also, all of the Emmissions tests are done via computer mowadays, you have to put the make, model, year and vin into a computer system that calculates your acceptable levels. There is no way to just "borrow" a sticker from your buddy. The Pass/Fail is sent electronically to the DMV and you are prohibited from registering the vehicle is it is Fail.

Posted by: bumpity bump ()
Date: March 26, 2012 02:59PM

there use to be limit on what you had to spend on emission related repairs to get the emissions waiver

got it for a piece of shit car i had long ago and far away

JBass what fine beverage are you enjoying today?

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: March 26, 2012 03:12PM

I am salifating thinking about a 6-pack of Starr Hill Festie!

Posted by: G01NHAM ()
Date: March 27, 2012 02:15PM

Of if i go to a mexican inspection shop in manassas hand the beaner 20 dollars he will pass my inspection? ? Haha

Posted by: Easiest way.... ()
Date: March 27, 2012 03:41PM

My best friend is a certified DIME. I just let her take my car in to be inspected- no matter WHAT is wrong with it they ALWAYS pass it when she is driving it- in a short skirt and heels especially and just be extra sweet to the inspector. ;)

Posted by: It's True ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:31PM

It looks like after 25 years you don't even need to have it registered as an antique, and after $680 you can indeed apply for a waiver.

http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/smog-check.php

Like many states, Virginia requires most vehicles to be up-to-date on two separate types of tests: one for emissions, and one for safety.

Emissions Inspections
Certain areas in Virginia require your vehicle to pass emissions inspections every two years. The most a smog check can cost is $28, which includes one free retest within 14 days if your vehicle fails the first time.

Exemptions to the emissions inspection requirement include:

New vehicles being titled for the first time in Virginia with a manufacturer's certificate of origin.
Gasoline-powered vehicles 25 years old or older, whether registered as antique or not.
Diesel vehicles.
Vehicles exclusively powered by clean fuel.
Certain hybrid vehicles.
If you are required to have an emissions inspection, it must be done before you register your vehicle. When registering, if you cannot show proof to the DMV that your vehicle passed the emissions inspection, the DMV can issue a one-time-only 30-day temporary registration. This will allow you time to get your vehicle to pass inspection.

When your vehicle's registration renewal notice indicates that a smog check is required before renewing, remember to take your renewal notice with you to the inspection station. It will speed the process.

Comprehensive information about Virginia's emissions testing program is available from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), which administers the program. Here you can also search for an inspection station near you.

Waivers
If your vehicle fails an emission test, you must take it to a garage for emission-related repairs. The garage must be certified by Virginia's DEQ.

If your vehicle fails again and you paid $680 or more in emissions-related repairs, you will qualify for a waiver. The emissions-testing facility will provide you with the paperwork to apply for a waiver.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:17PM

Not sure why this dead-ass thread was resurrected, but I'm going to throw a few things out there:

First, I wouldn't associate something built in 1986 with "almost classic American muscle car." What was this guy driving, a Firebird or a Camaro.

Second, this hread is a moot point now since his '86 would now be considered an antique and no longer subject to emissions testing.

JamesCipriani Wrote:
> Before I even beging .....i know its illegal.
> Anyways I got an older almost classic American
> muscle car, that will never pass
> emissions or inspection in its wildest dreams. Not
> that there is anything wrong with the car but
> running straight headers(the right away) isnt
> exactly going to cut the emissions and who can
> forget about the wonderful global waming but we
> will let al gore bitch about that. Now that thats
> said, the car is 21 years old and as some know in
> VA the car now has to be 25 years old to be
> considered a classic and be promoted to antique
> tags followed by never having to do emissions or
> inspection.

Posted by: FFxDoghouse1 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:51PM

Regarding people who have figured out a way to get around the car taxes in NoVa, if you are a landlord with rental properties, you might see a lot of the following happening with some of your tenants: They park their own vehicle, or in some cases even sell it; (it helps to have an accessory friend living out in the countryside with some private property who will allow them to leave their car parked while they are living in Virginia, so it can't get seen and towed on the public roads without its stickers and updated Va plates). Then they move into a group house, use a mail forwarding service in another tax-free state where all their mail then gets sent as if to a primary address; it is then collected into a package and forwarded to them here, either to another local mail box business like an UPS store or similar Mailboxes USA with an identifiable street address, or better, forwarded to a friend's house addressed under the friends name, or via a shipping company like UPS or FedEx where a Federal USPS form does not have to get filled out and recorded with the person's real Virginia street address permanently registered on it. Then they rent or lease a rental car and expense it through their business, which is of course domiciled in another state. With e-banking, credit and debit cards these days, there's even no need to establish a domiciliary address to get a local bank account either, just use the bank and cards from their former non-taxing state of residence. One person I heard about first moved to Virginia from California but used a local friends house address in Maryland, and just used that address and bought his next car in that county and state, where there is no car tax--or wasn't at the time several years back. I don't know if that is still true for Maryland, but I can't imagine that the huge population of cars with MD tags on Va roads actually commute all the way to western NOVa areas from Baltimore and other far away MD Counties every day! Another person that moved here just rents his cars, so if he gets a ticket for speeding somewhere else, he does not even go to court there, he just turns in the car for another one with plates from another state where they may not doing extensive driver license checks in the Virginia or other ticketing state data bases. He has been living here for years this way and has never gotten caught, living totally under the Virginia gov't radar! I suspect the ones that are self employed are the only ones that can get away with it, for if you have any job connection at all with any legitimate business based in Virginia they are going to ensure that you are properly accounted for in both state and federal databases.

Posted by: Same Problem ()
Date: March 14, 2013 01:15PM

Having the same problem, and I need to get my BMW passed. The only problem is getting all of the I/M monitors ready, not even a check engine light! Anyone know of a garage that I can slip a $100 to?

Posted by: Future 100mph on Keybridge ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:42PM

Same Problem Wrote:
> Having the same problem, and I need to get my BMW
> passed. The only problem is getting all of the I/M
> monitors ready, not even a check engine light!
> Anyone know of a garage that I can slip a $100 to?

You are stupid. You can solve the problem at Autozone for $39:00 and change.
Do you piss with your pants zipped up?

Posted by: BillHoo ()
Date: September 21, 2013 10:48PM

What happens when your car turns 25?

Do they give you the emissions inspection stickers gratis?

I've got a 89 Geo Metro that's coming up for inspection in November. Runs great, passes safety and get 49 MPG. But it blows smoke for about 20 minutes each morning before it warms up.

It's a spare car, so I can hold off until Jan 2014 when it turns 25.

Posted by: ooot ()
Date: September 21, 2013 11:25PM

When a cars turns 25, it no longer needs an emissions inspection. Just safety.

Posted by: BillHoo ()
Date: September 21, 2013 11:45PM

So, what keeps the police from stopping you from having expired emissions stickers on your tags? Or do they just give me sickers on Jan 2014?

Date: September 21, 2013 11:49PM

BillHoo Wrote:
> So, what keeps the police from stopping you from
> having expired emissions stickers on your tags?
> Or do they just give me sickers on Jan 2014?

A sticker is not issued for the emissions inspection. The sticker on the windshield is for the safety inspection which you will continue to need.

Date: September 21, 2013 11:52PM

BillHoo Wrote:
> So, what keeps the police from stopping you from
> having expired emissions stickers on your tags?
> Or do they just give me sickers on Jan 2014?

The stickers on your tags validate your registration. After 25 years, you do not need an emissions inspection to renew your tags like you do if the car is under 25 years old.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.