HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
When was the last time we had a major snowstorm hit during evening rush hour?
Posted by: When was the las time ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:08AM

When was the last time we had a major snowstorm hit during evening rush hour?

My God. Too many damn people have relocated here in the past 10 years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When was the last time we had a major snowstorm hit during evening rush hour?
Posted by: JackdUpFord ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:14AM

It took my neighbor 8 hours to get from mclean to clifton yesterday...Now that is just fucking unbelievable...

Re: When was the last time we had a major snowstorm hit during evening rush hour?
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:49AM

When was the las time Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My God. Too many damn people have relocated here in the past 10 years.<

So help the rest of us - move to Kansas.

Posted by: The Last Time ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:50AM

The last time I recall such an incident was probably back in the late 80s. I don't remember many through the 90s or early 2000s.

Posted by: strates ()
Date: January 28, 2011 02:26AM

There was the Ice Storm of 2008. People were stuck on the over passes of the mixing bowl for a few hours.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/621201/the_ice_storm_that_never_was_storms.html?cat=27

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:35AM

strates Wrote:
> There was the Ice Storm of 2008. People were stuck
> on the over passes of the mixing bowl for a few
> hours.
>
> http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/621201/th
> e_ice_storm_that_never_was_storms.html?cat=27

I couldn't believe how pathetic all of that was. I was caught out in Ashburn when the ice started pouring down, and I had to drive back to Reston, first to cast a vote at my polling place, and then to get home. I was driving my current sports sedan, on very low treaded tires (ie, Relatively worn), and I never had any problems at all, not even when going up curving hills on Reston roads. I just kept the car in lower gears, and slowed down. Meanwhile, on Rte. 28 and the Dulles Toll Road I passed numerous accidents involving sports cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs that all had lost control and plowed straight into jersey barriers. People are stupid enough driving in the rain, but with that same attitude applied to ice it was downright deadly. I really couldn't believe that day.

Btw, this storm IMO was worse, because it was icy, AND there was snow mixed in with it, and it simply became too deep to traverse in a car.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 28, 2011 06:55AM

The Last Time Wrote:
> The last time I recall such an incident was
> probably back in the late 80s. I don't remember
> many through the 90s or early 2000s.

There was one in either 99 or 2000. Snow started falling around 3PM and snarled everything during the evening rush. I remember it vividly because it took me over 3 hours to drive from Dulles to Tysons.

Posted by: Mr. Gray ()
Date: January 28, 2011 07:25AM

I don't know where you commenters have been, but I've been plowing snow and treating ice (not for VDOT, so kiss my ass) in this area for 30 years now. And we get 'winter events' during rush hour pretty regularly (it's NOT unusual). NEVER have I been through anything like the other night (except once in the late 80s, something similar, but not nearly as bad), just TRYING to get to location. It wasn't until 8:00AM the following morning before I saw the first VDOT plow on the road. I don't know what's going on, either management is highly incompetent, or somebody(s) have been getting STIFFED (not getting Paid for services RENDERED).

Posted by: Your Daddy ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:47AM

February 2008, I left w ork early to beat the mess and outwitted the nitwits once again.

Posted by: Jiggy ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:16AM

Posted by: Everbody and their mother ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:12PM

Mr. Gray Wrote:
> I don't know where you commenters have been, but
> I've been plowing snow and treating ice (not for
> VDOT, so kiss my ass) in this area for 30 years
> now. And we get 'winter events' during rush hour
> pretty regularly (it's NOT unusual). NEVER have I
> been through anything like the other night (except
> once in the late 80s, something similar, but not
> nearly as bad), just TRYING to get to location.
> It wasn't until 8:00AM the following morning
> before I saw the first VDOT plow on the road. I
> don't know what's going on, either management is
> highly incompetent, or somebody(s) have been
> getting STIFFED (not getting Paid for services
> RENDERED).

I think it is because everybody and their mother has decided to move here. Things will only continue to get worse.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:22PM

Two nights ago, RICKY!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:24PM

Everbody and their mother Wrote:
> I think it is because everybody and their mother
> has decided to move here. Things will only
> continue to get worse.

I think so too.

Posted by: justme ()
Date: January 28, 2011 01:31PM

Ha!! It will teach you all either to stay home the next time or leave work early. The people who are new to this area don't know what to expect and probably think they will have no problem until they experience the Wash metropolitan area traffic..

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.