HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
keith's driving school
Posted by: driver ()
Date: January 25, 2011 04:22PM

what ever happened to them? I was looking into them for lessons for my second daughter and they are apparently out of business.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: keith's driving school
Posted by: Back in the day ()
Date: January 25, 2011 04:38PM

I have great memories of learning to drive both automatic and manual with them. I actually got to drive with Keith himself. I think it may have been his last year instructing. I'll never forget him taking control of the breaks on his passenger side when one of my friends was driving, it was hysterical and scary at the same time! Back in the day, waiting for the next driving lesson was the highlight of my week. Simpler times back then!

Posted by: JackdUpFord ()
Date: January 25, 2011 04:54PM

I guess they sold out http://www.keithsdrivingschool.com/home.cfm

That is where I got my license back in the day.

Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 06:13PM

A few of the instructors left a few years ago to form their own driving school. I know they lost a good amount of business from that.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: January 25, 2011 07:08PM

They probably went out of business because of their rotten instructors. My kid's instructor kept grabbing the wheel while he was driving and actually told him to just 'let go of the steering wheel' to let it return to normal position after a turn. Really good idea, tell a 15 yr old to let go of a steering wheel. The list of idiotic things she told him goes on, but I won't bore you all with it.

Posted by: learnersmom ()
Date: January 25, 2011 08:46PM

Last I heard, some of their instructors had gone with a new outfit trading under the name "Aloha Bob's"

My kid did Keith's classroom program back in 2007. It was a good class.

Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:14PM

Actually it's "Aloha Driving Academy." The two guys I know who moved from Keith's are some guy named Pete and the guy I had when I got my license through Keith's, who everyone calls Hawaiian Bob. I can personally vouch for Bob--very calm, very friendly, a professional instructor. Shoot, he'll even pay for your slurpee if you stop at 7-11. I've heard the same things about Pete, who my brother had. Good company.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:46PM

Keith was the coolest. He was my actual instructor 18 years ago. He would always curse at other drivers and play mixed tapes that his students gave him of bands like Ween. He'd say stuff like, "this song is really cool, right?" always looking for affirmation of what was "in" so he could relate to his students.

He always said that the brake kills more people than the accelerator basically saying not to be timid on the road and to drive confidently. Never had a ticket! (or been convicted. I've actually been pulled over 8 times but mostly warnings and I beat the rest in court).

Posted by: goodbye ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:19PM

it went out of business

Posted by: Herrodude ()
Date: January 26, 2011 12:30AM

they went bankrupt and left a bunch of employees without paychecks/checks that kept bouncing.

grapevine says that keith was taking too much personal money out of the business

Posted by: FoxMulder ()
Date: January 26, 2011 07:16AM

Fuck yeah, Keith was my instructor back in the day...got my license in 1995...and when it was all dudes in the car, he used to talk about how much pussy he got...awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 11:57AM by FoxMulder.

Posted by: ex-Kieth Instructor ()
Date: January 26, 2011 11:28AM

I actually taught for Kieths back in the ealry 90's. It was ok, made a few extra bucks but it got old.

Had a few scary incidents but nothing too bad. Kieth was an ok guy, hear a few peculiar stories about him and I wouldn't be surprised if he was taking most of the proceeds. I always got paid though.

There was one guy that started his own school, I think his name was Ali or something like that, middle eastern guy.

There was another big black guy that was hysterically funny. He lived in Richmond, and stayed up here for several days at a time. He kept a folding cot in his trunk and slept at the driving school office, of course there was no shower or anything so he never shaved, so he looked and smelled like a homeless guy. I guess he did change clothes occassionally. I had students who switched from him who said you couldn't understand anything he said, and then he'd take them on the beltway and fall asleep. One kid said he drove all the way into Maryland and this guy woke and actually asked where they were! He'd also stop at Popeyes or Kentucky Fried Chicken and eat while they were on the road, his fingers would be all greasy so if he ever grabbed the steering wheel it would be all slippery and gross and if he ever had to stop the car with his brake the food would fall on the floor, so the car was like the inside of a dumpster.

When I first started working there Kieth had gray hair and gray mustache, then he started having it colored black and he looked weird. Maybe it was just the drastic change though.

Posted by: We got taken ! ()
Date: February 27, 2011 09:11PM

Yes then did close with everyones money (Booked clients, driving teachers & venders)
then they now call themselves "all freedom" thats y when U search for keiths driving school...the new school comes up.....they didnt even call any of us to offer a refund or nothing....they dint even return calls....rip offs

Posted by: Time Out Girl ()
Date: February 28, 2011 03:28PM

I took my on-the-road instruction from Keith himself in 1986! I was young for my grade and thank God did not have to take behind-the-wheel at my high school.

Anyway, my best friend (another girl) and I took lessons together from Keith (who, for the record, had gray hair and a mustache) from his tricked out 80's-era Mustang. I remember being shocked that our driving lessons included driving around Fairfax County, picking up other students, stopping at 7-11 for Keith to run in and buy snacks and oh, driving to Keith's house for him to take a potty break.

Keith had an enormous bottle of chewable Vitamin C tablets and offered these to all of us as a way to stay healthy.

He was scary-mean to the boys and was super sweet to the girls.

Posted by: New-ish Driver ()
Date: February 28, 2011 03:58PM

I got my license about 2 years ago, through Aloha Bob. I would highly recommend him, always calm and he even bought everyone in the car starbucks on 2 occasions! Some of my friends did Keith's, and basically it was super shitty near the end. The reason people did it was because of the mandatory 14 hrs behind the wheel, Keith would let you slide with 10-12.

Posted by: george ()
Date: March 01, 2011 11:36PM

waiting to hear from richmond whether my child will be getting her permit or not. keith went out of business for not paying employees and thus never finished filing the paperwork with the state in order for the students that completed the course to get credit. he is a crook and should be prosecuted for his actions (or lack of).

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 02, 2011 09:06AM

We had the same problem. Called DMV and they are refiling the paperwork, should be hearing from the courts soon supposedly.

Posted by: ex-Kieths Instructor ()
Date: March 03, 2011 07:38AM

Yesterday, I recalled a very funny, no so funny at the time though, incident. It occured at the 7-11 on Beulah Road in Franconia. At this time the road has been changed but at the time of this incident the road was much lower than the 7/11 and the parking lot had a steep slope up to the store and of course back down to the road. Well, we stopped at the 7/11 to get a a soda. Now, usually, I would have the student shut the car down, put it in park and I would take the keys out of the ignition. I guess on this day, it was later inthe day and I was tired or something but I didn't follow the routine. The kid driving the car, a girl, opted to stay in the car while I and the other students went into the 7/11. Right after that the driver came in because she just wanted to get out of the car. That's no problem.

So, we go back out, and THE CAR IS GONE! Now we werent' in the store for more than 3 minutes total. I looked around, didn't see the car, and think what the F***? Then I finally look down and see that the car has rolled all the way down the parking lot and all the way across the road onto the shoulder across Beulah road. Now mind you, there was traffic on the road. The girl had left the car in drive and just got out. the engine was off, and the car just drifted all by itself down the parking lot and had enough momentum to go all the way across the road. It was spring time and of course there were a few bubbas sitting in the parking lot drinking beer and had a field day with yelling comments about the incident and they were laughing their asses off. I don't blame, I guess I would too. To this day, I can't beleive that it didn't hit one of the cars coming form both directions on the road.

The kids were scared to death and none of them wanted to drive the car anymore! So I drove them all home. It would have made a great funny video.

Posted by: justin bieber ()
Date: March 03, 2011 08:17AM

the driving school is ran by a whole bunch of faggots and gay and lesbians and foreals

Posted by: linsday lohan ()
Date: March 03, 2011 08:21AM

justin ur sooo gay wen r we gonnna fuck and do that angel dust again im so horny baby

Posted by: Kim Kardashian ()
Date: March 03, 2011 08:24AM

linsday ur such a dumb ass drunk bitch go suck a big fat black pussy u lesbian hoe crack head bitch

Posted by: Heather123456 ()
Date: September 22, 2011 01:50AM

ex-Kieth Instructor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > There was another big black guy that was
> hysterically funny. He lived in Richmond, and
> stayed up here for several days at a time. He
> kept a folding cot in his trunk and slept at the
> driving school office, of course there was no
> shower or anything so he never shaved, so he
> looked and smelled like a homeless guy. I guess he
> did change clothes occassionally. I had students
> who switched from him who said you couldn't
> understand anything he said

Sounds like Kwami. He always wore these brightly-colored jumpsuits and had a Ghana flag hanging in his car. That guy was awesome!!

Posted by: Big Angry Dude ()
Date: November 22, 2011 03:23PM

Keith"s is Super Shady! Closed up Shop in the Middle of the Night, and left all the kids hanging - Never turned over any of their Paperwork to the State. I would Love to catch up with these Assholes, and break their necks. Anybody know where I can find them?

Posted by: booger bottom ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:53PM

anyone get Richard for driving instructor through keiths? what a crazy dude!

Posted by: friskydingo ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:01PM

booger bottom Wrote:
> anyone get Richard for driving instructor through
> keiths? what a crazy dude!

Was he the heavy set Hispanic guy who was about 45 years old?

Posted by: sign of the times ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:03PM

I heard it was taken over by Honest Hajis car and camel driving school. 10% discount to all infidels.
Attachments:
Dubai_Arab-and-Camel.jpg

Posted by: Pedro Sez ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:06PM

Its sometimes best not to look for the cheapest school.
Attachments:
carbackfire.jpg

Posted by: John Tutmir ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:28PM

There was always something going on at the school. I heard it eventually came down to whether or not there was going to be a problem with the students. There was too many complaints about personal space being invaded that led to some lawsuits (Almost all dismissed). Then I heard about death threats to the employees from customers. However like some guy said above, Keith invested too much money in politics. I think what he would gain is if something passes like all students are required to take driving lessons. like damm

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 30, 2014 01:41PM

My friends and I went to Mike Chalet driving school in Falls Church. Guy was closed down by the state or city (not sure which one) for not giving students enough driving time.

If you showed him you knew how to drive, you'd be done in a day or two.

Posted by: zimm ()
Date: January 30, 2014 05:42PM

I had keith too. Weird dude. Didn't he always play with a squishy ball or hacky sack thing? The only tip I still remember from him was to stop far enough back from a car so you can see it's tires touch the pavement. Gives you enough room to go around when they fuck something up. I use that all the time.

Posted by: learnedwithkeith ()
Date: January 30, 2014 09:20PM

I did my driving classes with Keith. I remember one time i was in the back seat while another student was driving. We were in a POS Geo Metro. We were stopped a light near Tyson's on gallows, and when the student pressed the gas, the breaks were totally locked up.

The instructed freaked out and said don't press the breaks, the student wasn't. I told the teacher to put the hazards on. (my first back seat driving), He was freaking out. The student basically floored the gas and got out of traffic, let huge skid marks on the road.

Keith came to pick us up, and took us to McDonald’s and bought us all food. He basically gave me my license after that because I was fine driving anyways and I don't think he wanted any bad publicity from it.

Good Times

Posted by: learnedwithkeith ()
Date: January 30, 2014 09:22PM

zimm Wrote:
> I had keith too. Weird dude. Didn't he always
> play with a squishy ball or hacky sack thing? The
> only tip I still remember from him was to stop far
> enough back from a car so you can see it's tires
> touch the pavement. Gives you enough room to go
> around when they fuck something up. I use that
> all the time.

Wow, he told me that too, i still use it today. Well i try too most times.

Posted by: Keith's was awesome ()
Date: January 31, 2014 05:28PM

I got my license through Keith's DS back in 1995. Awesome school. Instructors back then were terrific. He's gotta be pretty old by now. Did any of y'all get to drive his Camaro??

Posted by: Eraser X ()
Date: February 01, 2014 08:15AM

Took lessons in Fairfax from some dude named Keith back in '80. Had a pony tail and dressed sort of like a hippie cowboy. Don't recall the name of the company he worked for or whether it was his own company. Anyone think this could be THE Keith from Keith's Driving School?

Posted by: does he still ()
Date: February 02, 2014 04:03AM

does he still teach? i'm looking for a driving instructor for my adult friend who moved from new york.

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: February 02, 2014 04:57PM

I remember seeing their cars around Burke/West Springfield. One had tags Y WALK

Posted by: razeitall ()
Date: February 02, 2014 07:05PM

I learned to drive from this place about 20 years ago. Had no idea they went out of business. They were OK but it seemed like they only gave the minimum amount of instruction required by law, which was woefully inadequate IMO.

Posted by: james3668 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 07:15PM

Keith have been closed for a while now. I was looking for a good driving school in burke va and I found Apka driving school. They have free home up pick up service. check them out at www.apkadrivingschool.com

Posted by: Oh man ()
Date: May 26, 2014 11:37PM

I did my 14 hours with Keith's back in 97. I had a blast with it. Joe Manu was the instructors name, he was a big Ghanaian. Pretty laid back dude all things considered. My two fondest memories being:

- I told him he had instructed a friend of mine a few months before. He asked me his name, and upon telling him he says, "I should fail you just for knowing him."

- One of my night drives he guides me over to the shopping center at the intersection of Burke Lake Rd and Burke Rd. He has me pull up to this building, tells me "wait here." He comes back about 20 minutes later, says "Ok, drive yourself home" and passes out on the brief trek back to Saratoga.

I think I only did 8 or so hours behind the wheel and he gave me my paperwork. Good times.

Posted by: EW3Jx ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:39PM

driver Wrote:
> what ever happened to them? I was looking into
> them for lessons for my second daughter and they
> are apparently out of business.

i think only gov should be license and be able to run business and make 3x pay without actually turning a dime (outside of profitability)

Posted by: cLEUm ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:41PM

are they offering a "avoid being the next Urkraine" class to fairfax HS yet ?

Posted by: EXV4F ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:44PM

all you nee to know. route 50 bring sun glasses.

Posted by: P4Hyt ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:47PM

woman driver move over !

well give kitty time to get get over the fear and get comfortable and make sure it turn signals ...
Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: UyCb9 ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:50PM

democrats are saying "going green" means getting wastrel americans out of their unfair cars so government has more fuel to divy up (and more steel for high rises ?)

hey why are all those who design city "public trans" upping the rates the ones not on the beltway in and out of DC and mostly greencards if my eyes are correct?

Posted by: Buford Keith ()
Date: December 29, 2019 06:50PM

Took lessons with this piece of shit.
Go 5mph over speed limit on Burke road, he would scream” slow the motherfucking car down!” 12” away from my ear.

Had the bad luck to have the Manual trans Chevy cavalier too.

Saw on a paper once that his legal name was “Buford.” Looked at him and said” that’s your real name?” He looked at me like Ted bundy and said: “if anyone at lake Braddock finds out about my name, I’ll know it was you motherfucker!”

Hope to see his old ass soon so I can just knock him the fuck out!

Posted by: Ex Worker ()
Date: December 29, 2019 08:10PM

Buford Keith Wrote:
> Took lessons with this piece of shit.
> Go 5mph over speed limit on Burke road, he would
> scream” slow the motherfucking car down!”
> 12” away from my ear.
>
> Had the bad luck to have the Manual trans Chevy
> cavalier too.
>
> Saw on a paper once that his legal name was
> “Buford.” Looked at him and said” that’s
> your real name?” He looked at me like Ted bundy
> and said: “if anyone at lake Braddock finds out
> about my name, I’ll know it was you
> motherfucker!”
>
> Hope to see his old ass soon so I can just knock
> him the fuck out!

His real name was Maynard, not Buford.

Posted by: Was h ()
Date: December 29, 2019 09:55PM

Ex Worker Wrote:
> Buford Keith Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Took lessons with this piece of shit.
> > Go 5mph over speed limit on Burke road, he
> would
> > scream” slow the motherfucking car down!”
> > 12” away from my ear.
> >
> > Had the bad luck to have the Manual trans Chevy
> > cavalier too.
> >
> > Saw on a paper once that his legal name was
> > “Buford.” Looked at him and said”
> that’s
> > your real name?” He looked at me like Ted
> bundy
> > and said: “if anyone at lake Braddock finds
> out
> > about my name, I’ll know it was you
> > motherfucker!”
> >
> > Hope to see his old ass soon so I can just
> knock
> > him the fuck out!
>
> His real name was Maynard, not Buford.

Love how Someone is so bothered by this guy “Buford/Maynard”
from something that occurred 30yrs ago, and rants on and even threatens to punch a 80-90 yr old guy if he saw him now.....

And an ex employee responds by just correcting his name???

That’s some funny shit!

Was this guy this bad? Jezzzzus

Posted by: Stacy ()
Date: December 30, 2019 03:04PM

And! To tie the Derek Mohler thread together, Stacy Hunsberger worked for and dated Keith!!!! Thats how she got the Corvette!

Posted by: Stacy loves D ()
Date: December 30, 2019 05:43PM

This eas Keith's favorite thing to drive, can't drive that 55!!!!!
Attachments:
sstacy.jpg

Posted by: Keith the crackhead ()
Date: December 30, 2019 10:00PM

Keith would look in his rear view mirror and slowly let some dipshit tailgater ride your ass, (he had the brakes and gas
On his sidefront pass seat).....

AND THEN HE WOULD SLAM ON THE BRAKES AND BRAKE CHECK THE DUMB FUCK BEHIND US!!!

I was used to it from my older brothers but this guy was an instructor.

Remember the blue Manual cavalier.

Posted by: Old Skool ()
Date: August 24, 2022 02:11AM

Took Keiths in like 1991. Actually had Keith a few times.
I remember him always singing All Men are Liars, and eventually he brought the cassette of it.
Also remember him saying black women were the worst drivers.
Odd dude.

One time we had a woman instructor, and she let the girl that was driving do some peeling out and skidding on a gravel road. Never let us guys do it though.

Reading these comments, I'm really not suprised at all the odd ball stuff and ticked off people. Keith was quirky as heck.

Posted by: D Rock ()
Date: August 24, 2022 03:43PM

Stacy knows how to drive a stick! She drove mine all night several times!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.