HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Connolly vs. Baise
Posted by: slimey ()
Date: September 19, 2007 10:42AM

Now aint this a hoot! (Con)nolly obviously doesnt represent me on this issue either. Just what we needed was another "task force". From todays Washington (Com)Post:

The two candidates displayed differences on immigration policy. Connolly and the supervisors have resisted pressure from Prince William County and other jurisdictions to follow their lead in trying to drive out illegal immigrants.

Connolly said that immigration enforcement is a federal responsibility and that the county is best suited to focus on symptoms of the immigration problem, such as overcrowded housing. The county created a task force on the housing problem this year.

Baise accused Connolly of "ducking leadership" and said that if he is elected, police and other local agencies would take a more active role in removing illegal immigrants, whom he called "these people."

"We're focused on what we can do something about," Connolly said. "You cannot ask local government to somehow step in for the federal government. What we're not going to do in Fairfax County is political posturing for demagogic reasons. . . . That's a past era, something that doesn't represent Fairfax County and its values."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 10:43AM by slimey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Connolly vs. Baise
Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 19, 2007 11:01AM

It would be nice if we could leave the immigration issues up to the federal authorities and save VA and County tax dollars, but that's the way it's done right now and look at the mess we have.

Sorry to say, we need to take action and not wait for the Federal gov to get their act together.

Posted by: edster ()
Date: September 19, 2007 11:22AM

Here we go...its election time and Con----nolly is posturing to side-step the issue that is on many peoples minds...illigal imigration....actually it shouls be called migration. The fact is that if you "clean-up" this problem that is to remove the criminals from ths "illegal immigration population you have resolved some of the problems. BUT, it is not onle the Central American population that is the target here, baer in mind many are here for job opportunities that their own countries wount provide...but also illigals from mid Eastern and far Eastern countries, many of which are also a drain on our social support infra-structure and are possibly a threat to our national security. Connolly plays stupid by neglecting to give local law-enforcement the authority to enforce the laws that are already on the books. Mr. Baise understands this and it is high time that we clean up Fairfax county and rid ourselfs of these scroudels of which Connolly is one.

Date: September 19, 2007 11:33AM

There are ways to get Federal resources to help address or help resolve the illegal imigration problem. Lack of leadership by not pressing Federal authorities for more aggressive assistance is key. Connolly obviously does not understand this...or prefers not alienate the latine population because he is up for re-eelction. The region could be amodel to take on a national role in addressing this complicated problem by ingaging agencies and civic leaders.

Posted by: Con-Man ()
Date: September 19, 2007 12:05PM

While the federal government's role is to investigate, prosecute and ultimately remove illegals, they will welcome assistance when illegals are arrested by local jurisdictions for committing OTHER crimes. You can make the claime that the feds are failing, but nobody is asking the locals to go investigate illegal presence, but when an illegal is arrested for committing a crime is it too much to ask that the locals pick up the phone and call ICE?

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: September 19, 2007 01:19PM

We need a biometric national identification system that reflects citizenship and is absolutely tamper proof. SAIC is the premier company to perform this task.

Remember, folks, there was an uproar when phone numbers went digital; followed by the towns people fighting the proposed zone improvement plan codes. The results are incredible! in this digital world. Support a national identity card like most every other country uses. Or, let's just pretend that our passports are the national identification...

Vote for the Chairman who supports a national ID card AND ascertains citizenship of potential criminal illegal aliens with appropriate proaction--put the criminals in jail or prison and then deport them.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: September 19, 2007 02:51PM

Jimmy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We need a biometric national identification system
> that reflects citizenship and is absolutely tamper
> proof. SAIC is the premier company to perform
> this task.
>
> Remember, folks, there was an uproar when phone
> numbers went digital; followed by the towns people
> fighting the proposed zone improvement plan codes.
> The results are incredible! in this digital
> world. Support a national identity card like most
> every other country uses. Or, let's just pretend
> that our passports are the national
> identification...
>
> Vote for the Chairman who supports a national ID
> card AND ascertains citizenship of potential
> criminal illegal aliens with appropriate
> proaction--put the criminals in jail or prison and
> then deport them.

THIS POST SPONSORED BY SAIC - AN EMPLOYEE OWNED COMPANY!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 19, 2007 03:01PM

Well, I don't want my personal biometric info stored on some type of mandatory govt. ID card. Comparing a situation like that to adding new area codes is ludicrous. We don't need a "No Government Contractor Left Behind" program to solve the problem of people living here illegally. Nor do we need to intrude on the privacy of the citizens who are here legally in the first place. This is the govt.'s problem, keep me the fuck out of it.

Jimmy Wrote:
> We need a biometric national identification system

Date: September 19, 2007 03:11PM

You are absolutely correc t and I wish everybody would read your comment. v/r Ed

Date: September 19, 2007 03:13PM

OK Jimmy you are wrong on all counts....and no obseneties on the internet either

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:24PM

Connelly misses the point. People are pissed when the house next to them has 15-20 people living in it. They connect the abuse with illegal immigration and it just may be so. A home is a persons biggest investment and people dont like it when you fuck with their home or money.

People in Fairfax pay a huge amount of real estate taxes and a huge price for the cost of the home and its upkeep. When they see the value start to drop they get mad.

Connelly wouldnt understand this because of his big salary he can afford to live in a neighborhood where it doesnt happen.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:33PM

hmm Wrote:
> Connelly misses the point. People are pissed when
> the house next to them has 15-20 people living in
> it. They connect the abuse with illegal
> immigration and it just may be so. A home is a
> persons biggest investment and people dont like it
> when you fuck with their home or money.
>
> People in Fairfax pay a huge amount of real estate
> taxes and a huge price for the cost of the home
> and its upkeep. When they see the value start to
> drop they get mad.
>
> Connelly wouldnt understand this because of his
> big salary he can afford to live in a neighborhood
> where it doesnt happen.

Big salary? Connolly makes 59 grand (75 in January). He has another job that may pay big bucks...but the County doesn't pay squat.

I always wondered why people want these political jobs that don't pay anything...the most likely answer is that it puts them in a position to steal the BIG bucks.

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:57PM

Guess my humor and talking point were too obtuse. Regret confusion.

Mr. Connolly's full time job is with SAIC. And whose property values increase from the proposed Metro rail--whether above or below ground?

Many people were very upset when ZIP codes were being planned and discussed; the thing when telephone numbers went to all digits--and you can throw in the scanners used to read bar codes.

Trust me: we will have a national identification card; drivers' licenses are fulfilling this need through computer interfaces. And, as I mentioned, USA passports are becoming a de facto national identification.

As with bar code scanners, digital phone numbers, and ZIP codes, it will happen.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: September 24, 2007 01:31AM

What has Connelly ever done for anyone in this county? Nothing. I'm voting for Baise. Connelly's a creep.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: October 01, 2007 01:51AM

I'm voting for Baise. Connelly is destroying Tysons and the rest of the entire country will be paying for via the Federal Funding. On Sunday I read the Post article about the affordable/subsidized housing where Fairfax doesn't require annual submission of income statements. Households with income of 94-over 150 thousand should never have any funded housing. Not even in New York City.

A few years ago they had never raised the county trash costs so most of us were subsidizing private homes trash while we had to pay garbage companies. His predecessor simply never increased the fees to households using the service.

The school system is a black hole. Even families earning a million a year will get full day kindergarten. For the 21 schools getting it this year it will cost us over 5.6 million while the county had the nerve to put a lousy .5 million savings in a document this summer from cutting out the salaries of subsidized daycare workers from about 12-3 pm. That's a cost to us all of 5.1. Then they build and don't use the space.

Date: October 04, 2007 01:46AM

It looks like Baise's stance on taxes and illegals is winning:

http://redvirginia.blogspot.com/2007/09/gary-baise-trails-connolly-by-only-3.html

GO GARY! Beat the slime Connelly!

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: October 04, 2007 07:36AM

Is there a third candidate?

Candidate In Va. Took Subsidies For Farm (Post, October 4, 2007; Page A01)

"Gary H. Baise, the Republican candidate for Fairfax County Board of Supervisors chairman, who tells audiences that he stands for "lower taxes, limited government and less spending," collected nearly $300,000 in federal subsidies for his southern Illinois farm between 1995 and 2005, U.S. Department of Agriculture records show."

"There's no way you can justify this for guys like me,..." -Gary H. Baise
Attachments:
PH2007100302280.jpg

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 04, 2007 09:15AM

Fairfax Citizen Wrote:

> "There's no way you can justify this for guys like
> me,..." -Gary H. Baise

We do need to end that sort of crap.

It is also true, however, that you would have to be a fool to leave that money on the table. How many wealthy people deduct their mortgage interest from their taxes? That is exactly the same situation. No homeowner in their right mind would fail to deduct that even if they were multi-millionaires. Yet most people see this deduction as an 'entitlement'. The truth is, mortgage interest deduction is welfare for the wealthy, just like this farm subsidy. Mortgage deduction will be a $100 billion pay out by 2009! http://slate.com/id/2116731/.

If people were really concerned about subsidies, they'd attack this deduction. But oh, wait, we want that one because it benefits us. Isn't that always the case?

The most recent IRS data show few low- and middle-income taxpayers benefit from the home mortgage interest deduction. Those who filed tax returns with under $30,000 in adjusted gross income (AGI) in 2003 received just 9 percent of deductions for home mortgage interest, despite filing 52 percent of all tax returns. (The median taxpayer’s AGI was approximately $29,000 in 2003.) In contrast, 36 percent of home mortgage interest deductions were claimed by taxpayers with AGIs over $100,000.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1341.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 11:01AM by trogdor!.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 04, 2007 04:09PM

Gerry Connolly requested to add me as a friend on facebook.

His interests are
Fighting global warming, keeping our schools among the best in the nation, keeping our kids safe from gangs and teaching my daughter to drive (not necessarily in that order).

I reported him for obscene profile content.

Date: October 04, 2007 08:31PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Fairfax Citizen Wrote:
>
> > "There's no way you can justify this for guys
> like
> > me,..." -Gary H. Baise
>
> We do need to end that sort of crap.
>
> It is also true, however, that you would have to
> be a fool to leave that money on the table. How
> many wealthy people deduct their mortgage interest
> from their taxes? That is exactly the same
> situation. No homeowner in their right mind would
> fail to deduct that even if they were
> multi-millionaires. Yet most people see this
> deduction as an 'entitlement'. The truth is,
> mortgage interest deduction is welfare for the
> wealthy, just like this farm subsidy. Mortgage
> deduction will be a $100 billion pay out by 2009!
> http://slate.com/id/2116731/.
>
> If people were really concerned about subsidies,
> they'd attack this deduction. But oh, wait, we
> want that one because it benefits us. Isn't that
> always the case?
>
> The most recent IRS data show few low- and
> middle-income taxpayers benefit from the home
> mortgage interest deduction. Those who filed tax
> returns with under $30,000 in adjusted gross
> income (AGI) in 2003 received just 9 percent of
> deductions for home mortgage interest, despite
> filing 52 percent of all tax returns. (The median
> taxpayer’s AGI was approximately $29,000 in 2003.)
> In contrast, 36 percent of home mortgage interest
> deductions were claimed by taxpayers with AGIs
> over $100,000.
>
> http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1341.html

Not always. My grandfather never applied for his (or my grandmother's) social security benefits...and they both lived into their early 90's (Uncle Sam saved a bundle!).

He reasoned that he didn't need the money, so he should leave for the old folks that did.

That kind of character and integrity is as extinct as the Do-Do bird nowadays.

Date: October 05, 2007 01:41AM

Your grandparents choose to give their money to the government. That's very nice. Most people don't make that choice.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: October 06, 2007 07:23PM

I don't care, just get all those ugly signs off the medians.

The Politicians have gone way overboard with all these stupid signs, and some are HUGE, you can't see aroung them and they impede traffic.

Yeah, we get Civil Fees and Politicians that can now posts signs.

What WTF is next?

Date: October 06, 2007 07:36PM

Neen Wrote:
> Your grandparents choose to give their money to
> the government. That's very nice. Most people
> don't make that choice.

I didn't think you'd understand....nevermind.

Date: October 06, 2007 08:57PM

I totally understood. Your grandparents gave their money to the government for social security and never asked for it back. They simply gave their money to the government. That's sweet of them, assuming they couldn't think of any good charity to give their money to.

Date: October 06, 2007 09:35PM

Neen Wrote:
> I totally understood. Your grandparents gave
> their money to the government for social security
> and never asked for it back. They simply gave
> their money to the government. That's sweet of
> them, assuming they couldn't think of any good
> charity to give their money to.

No, the government TOOK their money...but they understood why. They reasoned that since they didn't need their SS benefits, why take them? That's the mindset that you, and the rest of the ME generation, will never understand.

background: Grandpa immigrated to this country from Italy at the age of 7 (in the late 1890's). He made many millions of dollars during his lifetime and loved this country as NONE of you dittoheads ever will. I wish you could see his WW I Army- issue "safety" razor that I have....what a WICKED instrument....one false move, and you could bleed to death! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 09:36PM by duh.

Date: October 07, 2007 03:23AM

Yes, my grandfather was totally disabled by WWI. Totally incapacitated for life. You wouldn't believe how bad off he was from age 17 until his death. Horrible. my family has fought in every single war this country has ever had. My husband served, as did both our fathers and grandfathers. I'd love it if you could find a family more patriotic than ours. I"d love to meet them since we're probably cousins!

But it hardly has anything to do with letting the government keep our money. To each his own, but I'll collect mine and give it the Alzheimer's foundation and the ALS foundation, dog rescue groups, my local community help group, supplies for kids who don't have them to start school, and hospice. We give money, and lots of volunteer time, to all those groups, and can't wait until our Social security comes so that we can do more.

Why take the funds? So that you can help people! So that we can help other Americans who are suffering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2007 03:29AM by Neen.

Date: October 07, 2007 04:34AM

Neen Wrote:
> Yes, my grandfather was totally disabled by WWI.
> Totally incapacitated for life. You wouldn't
> believe how bad off he was from age 17 until his
> death. Horrible. my family has fought in every
> single war this country has ever had. My husband
> served, as did both our fathers and grandfathers.
> I'd love it if you could find a family more
> patriotic than ours. I"d love to meet them since
> we're probably cousins!
>
> But it hardly has anything to do with letting the
> government keep our money. To each his own, but
> I'll collect mine and give it the Alzheimer's
> foundation and the ALS foundation, dog rescue
> groups, my local community help group, supplies
> for kids who don't have them to start school, and
> hospice. We give money, and lots of volunteer
> time, to all those groups, and can't wait until
> our Social security comes so that we can do more.
>
>
> Why take the funds? So that you can help people!
> So that we can help other Americans who are
> suffering.

OMG...the only thing worse than a dittohead is a snarky, female dittohead, LOL

Posted by: gravis! ()
Date: January 25, 2016 05:55PM

slimey Wrote:
> Now aint this a hoot! (Con)nolly obviously doesnt
> represent me on this issue either. Just what we
> needed was another "task force". From todays
> Washington (Com)Post:
>
> The two candidates displayed differences on
> immigration policy. Connolly and the supervisors
> have resisted pressure from Prince William County
> and other jurisdictions to follow their lead in
> trying to drive out illegal immigrants.
>
> Connolly said that immigration enforcement is a
> federal responsibility and that the county is best
> suited to focus on symptoms of the immigration
> problem, such as overcrowded housing. The county
> created a task force on the housing problem this
> year.
>
> Baise accused Connolly of "ducking leadership" and
> said that if he is elected, police and other local
> agencies would take a more active role in removing
> illegal immigrants, whom he called "these
> people."
>
> "We're focused on what we can do something about,"
> Connolly said. "You cannot ask local government to
> somehow step in for the federal government. What
> we're not going to do in Fairfax County is
> political posturing for demagogic reasons. . . .
> That's a past era, something that doesn't
> represent Fairfax County and its values."

We showed Connolly when we defeated him.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.