HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How many ways to Fredericksburg?
Posted by: IHeart95 ()
Date: September 17, 2007 10:11PM

We're basically traveling 95S every friday afterwork.

1) What's the best radio station for traffic news
2) What alternatives are there to fredericksburg when 95 is stopped (we come from lorton)
3) Any particular time afterwork better then others? 7/8/9?

Any tips appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many ways to Fredericksburg?
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 18, 2007 08:06AM

1. WTOP 1500AM
2. Utilize Google Maps
3. NO NO NO SB I95 is an F story even at the best of times.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: September 18, 2007 09:22AM

IHeart95 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're basically traveling 95S every friday
> afterwork.
>
> 1) What's the best radio station for traffic news
There is actually a country station out of Fredericksburg that does nothing but traffic south of DC. I think it is in the 90s on the dial. Not sure of the exact number, though.

> 2) What alternatives are there to fredericksburg
> when 95 is stopped (we come from lorton)

Route 1, though I'm not sure it will get you there any quicker than slugging along I-95. If possible, I would suggest you use the VRE (Virginia Rail Express). I think there is a station in Lorton. You can avoid driving altogether.

> 3) Any particular time afterwork better then
> others? 7/8/9?

95 is pretty terrible on Fridays since most of the East Coast uses it. You probably just have to suffer through it no matter the time.

> Any tips appreciated

Posted by: IH895S ()
Date: September 18, 2007 11:18AM

1) WTOP - that direction, I would use 103.5 FM instead of 1500 AM. You could also try B101.5 FM. It is a pop radio station, but during rush hour, they do regular traffic updates and it is Fredericksburg based.

2) Coming from Lorton is tough because 95 is a straight shot. Rt. 1 has too many lights and stops from Woodbridge to Dumfries. You could go a bit farther west and go out Miniville Rd. to 234. You can keep moving but in the end, it is about the same time.

3) Anytime after 7:30 is usually fine unless it is Friday. On Friday Just wait til Monday morning, it'll be clear by then.

Good Luck!

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: September 18, 2007 11:48AM

On Friday Just wait til Monday morning, it'll be clear by then

lol.. unfortunately very true..

I tried to be smart one time and leave for richmond at like 9am... definately didnt work.

although 1am driving on friday = virtually no cars except cops :( - hell i made great time even after getting pulled over

Posted by: Bored at work ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:15PM

I have found that taking route 1 through dumfries and then hoping back on 95, in either north stafforf or Quantico helps - you do hit a lot of lights but at least you are moving! Especially if you wait until 7 or so, alot of the local traffic has cleared out by then.

You can also take 29/28 to 17... but this way is problematic too as traffic backs up on 29 well into garrisonville.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 18, 2007 05:05PM

I was gonna reccomend 66 or 29 to 17, but thats way far outta the way. My suggestion is to drive around with a GPS and locate roads that more or less paralell 95 down to f-burg. They will probably go around quantico and the forest park by the west. Ther eis a town called Aden (or is it Aldie?) that has a road going thru it that i used a couple of times, got lost every time but it was good.

Speaking of the cops, yea i have seen an assload more of cops on 95 since the new fees, which give yet another reason to find a different way.

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: September 18, 2007 08:24PM

Don't bother with 66 to 29 to 17 - 29 to 17 is now a major bridge route for Canadian truckers between I81 and I95. Friday evenings between Opal and Stafford are brutal on Rt 17.

I think you mean Aden road (starts on Rt 28 just north of Nokesville?). Aldie is on Rt 50 west of Rt 15 at Gilbert's Corner in Loudoun.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.