HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Station needs a coffee shop
Posted by: Cam ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:12PM

I just moved to FFX Station (Crosspointe/Barrington area) and boy do they need some restaurants and especially a coffee shop or two. I have to drive to Lorton or to Kingstowne for coffee. I guess I shoul've checked this before I moved in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Station needs a coffee shop
Posted by: watcher ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:43PM

Or you could buy your own coffee maker, and it wouldn't cost you $4.00 a cup.

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: September 17, 2007 04:05PM

If they get a coffee shop with a little area for a stage, Meade Skeleton could become the resident musician. That would kill the property values quicker than anything.

Posted by: § ()
Date: September 17, 2007 04:16PM

I grew up in FFX Station in the late 80s, early 90s. There's coffee shops all over Burke right off the parkway / Ox Rd. and even more closer to Braddock. -§

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: September 17, 2007 04:36PM

Cam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just moved to FFX Station
> (Crosspointe/Barrington area) and boy do they need
> some restaurants and especially a coffee shop or
> two. I have to drive to Lorton or to Kingstowne
> for coffee. I guess I shoul've checked this before
> I moved in.

Talk to your neighbors about how they whined and pleaded their way to a new secondary school. With that experience they should have no problem compelling Starbucks to build a new store in the next couple of months. If you work hard enough you might get Great American Restaurants to open a Sweetwater Tavern just for YOU!

Seriously, drop the entitlement attitude and drive five minutes down 123 if you are so incapable of brewing a cup of coffee.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: September 17, 2007 04:39PM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> Seriously, drop the entitlement attitude and drive
> five minutes down 123 if you are so incapable of
> brewing a cup of coffee.

Starbucks right next to the Giant...

§ Wrote:
> I grew up in FFX Station in the late 80s, early 90s

I thought they only started calling it FFX Station in the last couple years?

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: September 17, 2007 06:29PM

The postal boundary for Fairfax Station is, and has been all the way down to Hampton Road (to the south) and Hooes Rd (to the east), over to the Fairfax County Parkway, with some pockets on either side being Burke and some FFX Sta.

On old maps of Fairfax Station, the property boundary markes were set near the what is now the intersection of Ox Road and Silverbrook Road. Beyond that, was Lorton.

That is what I have for facts. As far as coffee, I have never had a cup in my life, so I don't care either way for Starbucks, etc.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: September 17, 2007 06:41PM

So Crosspointe was in Lorton at one time? I bet they love that!

Posted by: § ()
Date: September 17, 2007 06:47PM

Yeah - FFX Station has been around for at least 20 or so years. I always thought it was odd the way they redistricted the school boundaries to exclude FFX Station kids from going to Robinson (not sure if they still do), rather shuttling most of us to Woodson 8 miles away in FFX City. -§

Date: September 17, 2007 07:46PM

§ Wrote:
> Yeah - FFX Station has been around for at least 20
> or so years. I always thought it was odd the way
> they redistricted the school boundaries to exclude
> FFX Station kids from going to Robinson (not sure
> if they still do), rather shuttling most of us to
> Woodson 8 miles away in FFX City. -§

Fairfax Station the community, has been around since about 1984. Maybe breaking ground a bit sooner.

Back when OX Rd was a two-lane rd., when you made a right off Pohick (where the FFX Pkwy (7100) is now, the radio station was on your left. You can still see the tower for operations above...

Fairfax Station as a "small town" area, has been around since the days of Clara Barton and the Civil War. ...or earlier ;-)

Date: September 18, 2007 12:01AM

§ Wrote:
> Yeah - FFX Station has been around for at least 20
> or so years. I always thought it was odd the way
> they redistricted the school boundaries to exclude
> FFX Station kids from going to Robinson (not sure
> if they still do), rather shuttling most of us to
> Woodson 8 miles away in FFX City. -§

Actually, when the Fairfax Station community was developed in the early 1980s Woodson was THE best local high school, so there was a strong lobbying effort to get them into that school, bypassing Robinson. This also meant, however, that their elementary school is Oak View (across the street from Robinson). I think that Oak View might be the only elementary school in the county which feeds three high schools: Robinson, Woodson and Fairfax.

This legacy, however, is another reason why FCPS needs to undertake a system-wide boundary study. Take a look at the existing school boundaries and they look a lot like voting districts in Texas or Louisiana.

Also, as noted above, the area around Crosspointe and other pricey developments on 123 south of Silverbrook were Lorton, but I thought that they were renamed after the prison was closed.

Posted by: cam ()
Date: September 18, 2007 09:58AM

They could also use a good bar. Besides, GLory Days on either side in Lorton and Burke, there are no bars or restaurants nearby. Where does everyone go for a drink and a burger?

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 18, 2007 10:21AM

Hi Mr. Burnham,

Actually when the Crosspointe area was being first developed, the developers got the county to call it Fairfax Station even when the prison was still operating. And most of Fairfax Station does not go to Woodson, only one or two developments along 123 before Lee Chapel Road. Most of the area was in the Hayfield Secondary school area because Hayfield was bigger. (It quickly became very crowded)

Wait for the next installment because this year, a bunch of those Fairfax Station kids have had to move back to Hayfield because South County is so crowded. The Crosspointe and Barrington parents do not like their kids going to Hayfield.

Posted by: JavaJoe ()
Date: September 18, 2007 11:12AM

Who cares? When you live that far outside the beltway, you deserve McDonalds and nothing more.

Date: September 18, 2007 11:28AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> Wait for the next installment because this year, a
> bunch of those Fairfax Station kids have had to
> move back to Hayfield because South County is so
> crowded. The Crosspointe and Barrington parents
> do not like their kids going to Hayfield.

Thanks for the correction.

I hate to sound harsh, but the degree of entitlement expressed by parents in neighborhoods like Crosspointe and Barrington disgusts me with the claims of South County as "their school". While enrollment projections are a combination of mathematical analysis and guesswork, I think that the view of the next 5-10 years is pretty solid and shows that schools like Hayfield and Lake Braddock (both recently renovated) will be at or under capacity and need to be better utilized.

The people who argued for South County used a variety of emotional appeals (e.g., splitting childhood friends) and national security threats (e.g., the challenge of getting across I-95) as reasons to keep their children close, but the cold reality is that their passion was bred from racism and classism. If they had their way, South County would have no ESOL and no free and reduced lunch students. This could be resolved if FCPS had the guts to undertake a county-wide redistricting, but that will never happen.

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: September 18, 2007 12:14PM

We've move a bit afar from coffee shops. There is a delightful bakery in the Burke Town Plaza (OKM and Chapel Hill) that serves a great European coffee and their bakery goods are world class--just down Burke Center Parkway from Fairfax Station. Believe it's called the Swiss Bakery--in fact, I found a website: http://www.theswissbakery.com/

As far as renaming areas and extending neighborhoods, few may remember the Lorton prison, which housed the DC criminals. Would you buy a multi-million dollar home in Lorton or Fairfax Station. Same reasoning applies to Oak Hill which is really Herndon. Would you buy an expensive home in Herndon or Oak Hill? Here's a funny item: two daughters attending a state university each list their home address: one in Oak Hill, VA and the other in Herndon, VA (same ZIP code and same street).

Date: September 18, 2007 12:27PM

I can put my town as BumbleBeeTuna, VA if i wanted too.. so long as the ZIP is correct..

Posted by: Fairfax Citizen ()
Date: September 18, 2007 12:43PM

Excellent point! It's all in the ZIP code. Check the demographics and crime for the Lorton and Herndon ZIP codes. Would you opt to live in these ZIP codes?

Date: September 18, 2007 02:10PM

Well I don't know about Herndon, but I am in Lorton everyday (because those are my peepz (yo))... Pool side of Newington Forest isnt bad.. and excluding the areas off of Route 1, theres really nothing wrong with Lorton..

well, except the smell - but thats mostly concentrated by Rt 1..

Posted by: cam ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:41PM

Wow lots of hate for the Crosspointe/Barrington folks. I just wanted a cup of coffee and a cold beer every now and then... I didn't mean to open old wounds.

I moved to FFX Station because it is relatively convenient to major hiways but I got a peice of land with my house (something you cant get in Alexandria) so my kids can play and the schools are pretty good in this part of FFX Co. All thing considered, this part of FFX CO is a decent place to live.

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: September 18, 2007 03:39PM

cam Wrote:
> Wow lots of hate for the Crosspointe/Barrington
> folks. I just wanted a cup of coffee and a cold
> beer every now and then... I didn't mean to open
> old wounds.

Yes, you picked a nice place to live, but there is a lot of emotion tied up in your neighborhood. We had friends who bought very nice houses who "discovered" power lines in their backyards after they had children and wanted the county or Dominion to do something about it. Same goes for the schools. On the other hand, a number of communities lucked out when they widened 123 since it no longer ran directly in front of their property.

It was suggested above, but were you rejecting the Starbucks in the Giant plaza just south of you on 123? That area could use a place to eat (no bars, of course, since bars are not allowed in the commonwealth) that is a step above Quizno's and I don't think that it is unreasonable that a Sweetwater Tavern would open in that area.

Date: September 18, 2007 07:14PM

The ironic thing about the Crosspointe/Barrington families is this. Yes they argued they did not like the long bus ride, they did not want to split their kids' friendships up by different schools, they wanted a "community" school, yet nearly all of the kids who applied to Thomas Jefferson or Bishop Ireton or Paul VI were the Fairfax Station kids. There goes the reasoning that they mentioned for the new school.

Date: September 18, 2007 09:41PM

While filling my car at the Sunnco at the Shoppes of Lorton (Rt 123 just south of Hampton Rd), I noticed a Starbucks coffee house in the Giant shopping plaza near that gas station.

I guess there IS coffee in the area afterall...

Re: SCSS. If you are in FFX Sta. and your kids went to Hayfield, you should go to the new school. period.

Nobody from Barrington or Crosspointe was sent out of the new school back to Hayfield or elsewhere - it was "Lorton Station" folks and Newington folks. If you want to talk "entitlement," talk to a Mason Neck resident. Yikes!

Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: September 18, 2007 11:35PM

ffxn8v Wrote:
> Nobody from Barrington or Crosspointe was sent out
> of the new school back to Hayfield or elsewhere -
> it was "Lorton Station" folks and Newington folks.
> If you want to talk "entitlement," talk to a Mason
> Neck resident. Yikes!

Can you explain what you are referring to? How are the parents in Lorton Station, Newington and Mason Neck any less deserving of attending SCSS? While I am not quite sure where Mason Neck is in relation to SCSS, the other communities seem to be pretty close by. While I don't think that sending people back to Hayfield makes a lot of sense based simply on geography, Lake Braddock is still pretty close by, newly renovated and under capacity. That seems a lot better than a stuffed to the gills SCSS with no near-term relief in sight.

Posted by: * ()
Date: September 19, 2007 08:02AM

"yet nearly all of the kids who applied to Thomas Jefferson or Bishop Ireton or Paul VI were the Fairfax Station kids"

Wow, only the Fairfax Station kids go to Thomas Jefferson or Bishop Ireton or Paul VI. I guess they got their community school after all.

What a stupid post!!!!

Date: September 19, 2007 11:30AM

ok cam,

your right - the post went a little downhill... let me help you out.. like I said, there is a starbucks..

you want a drink? Hunan Lorton - bar inside (albeit a small one). or you can always just run into ABC and then post up in your car

Date: September 19, 2007 11:59AM

I said "apply" not "go".

Trickie

Posted by: Price ()
Date: September 19, 2007 01:02PM

Peking duck @ Hunan Lorton is pretty good, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 01:02PM by Price.

Posted by: Big Mike ()
Date: September 23, 2007 11:11PM

I moved out to Vienna and there is a coffee shop here on 123 (next to Stalcup's hardware, between the Giant and the Safeway and near Fresh Fields) that has music and entertainment. Never been there, but at least it's different from Starbucks.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: September 24, 2007 08:27AM

cam Wrote:
> They could also use a good bar. Besides, GLory
> Days on either side in Lorton and Burke, there are
> no bars or restaurants nearby. Where does
> everyone go for a drink and a burger?

No where, we live in the heart of the suburbs, so there really isn't going to any bars besides TGI Fridays. And we live in the good ol ultra conservative state of Virginia, so that means everyone should be at home in bed after 9 pm ;)

Posted by: Greenie ()
Date: September 26, 2007 12:17AM

You can always hit up Hop's Frog on Burke Center Pkwy a block east of 123, or Brion's in University Mall.

Posted by: 22039 is my code ()
Date: September 26, 2007 01:53AM

Do not eat at Hunan Lorton they have had numerous health code violations thank god a Ledo's & 5 Guy's Re going in we are finally getting some actually good places to eat around here. It damm took us nearly 20 years to do such! South Run Oaks... and Barrington & Crosspoint need a bus route too.. we got neglected in the deal!!!

Date: September 26, 2007 08:49AM

Greenie Wrote:
> You can always hit up Hop's Frog on Burke Center
> Pkwy a block east of 123, or Brion's in University
> Mall.

I would give Brion's a tepid thumbs up, based largely on the fact that it is local and have good community involvement. Hop's Frog (Hopsfrog?), on the other hand, is just vile. We have eaten there three times, always hoping the food and experience would improve, but in the end it is just a miserable place to eat. I am not sure if the management is simply oblivious or if people around here are so desperate for a place to eat that the tolerate this.

Date: September 26, 2007 09:38AM

I still say that 7/11 has the best coffee around. I take my own thermos and the refill is $1.08 for a large cup. I would never pay Starbucks prices.

Trickie

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 26, 2007 10:54AM

How can you guys drink that much low quality coffee?

Real coffee comes in small amounts, and starbucks would be a bare minimum of what quality coffee is.

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: September 26, 2007 10:55AM

the only coffee I can stand is Starbucks white mocha. Guess that makes me a stuck up prick.

EoM

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 26, 2007 11:18AM

I think Starbucks is OK, I definitely wouldn't describe it as awful, it's just overpriced.

I think Dunkin Donuts has about the best coffee you can buy from a chain. Their coffee always seems just perfect.

Kiev Wrote:
> How can you guys drink that much low quality
> coffee?
>
> Real coffee comes in small amounts, and starbucks
> would be a bare minimum of what quality coffee is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 11:20AM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 26, 2007 11:29AM

Starbucks is overpriced cause of the the atmosphere.

Its designed to be this European style coffee shop, which its not, and that costs $$$.

There are few small coffee shops in DC that serve good coffee, for half the price of Starbucks. But they are gonna be gone soon. Chains are taking over.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:30AM

CheekyMonkey Wrote:
> ffxn8v Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nobody from Barrington or Crosspointe was sent
> out
> > of the new school back to Hayfield or elsewhere
> -
> > it was "Lorton Station" folks and Newington
> folks.
> > If you want to talk "entitlement," talk to a
> Mason
> > Neck resident. Yikes!
>
> Can you explain what you are referring to? How
> are the parents in Lorton Station, Newington and
> Mason Neck any less deserving of attending SCSS?
> While I am not quite sure where Mason Neck is in
> relation to SCSS, the other communities seem to be
> pretty close by. While I don't think that sending
> people back to Hayfield makes a lot of sense based
> simply on geography, Lake Braddock is still pretty
> close by, newly renovated and under capacity.
> That seems a lot better than a stuffed to the
> gills SCSS with no near-term relief in sight.

What I said was, nobody from the Barrington or Crosspointe area was sent out of SCSS this go-round. Newington and Lorton Station kids will be back at Hayfield.

Mason Neck (off Gunston Rd) will remain at SCSS.

Now, what I mean by ask them about entitlement with those folks is, they claim to have always wanted to go to the "new school." Back in history, they were going to be moved from Hayfield to elsewhere but INSISTED they remain at Hayfield. Once talks began on SCSS, they claimed thy didn't recall that at all - whatever. Your local rep's even remember!

Fairfax's school sys. said things like boundaries - natural and man made would be utilized for the destricting of the new school. Funny how with Mason Neck, I-95 was ignored, amongst other boundary tools.

It should also be noted that more than a few Mason Neck folks claim of long traffic routes to Hayfield. When asked how they go, they travel/map all the way down Gunston Rd. to US Rt1 then north on Rt1 to Telegraph Rd.

It would be MUCH quicker to go down Old Colchester Rd - which by the way, now intersects across from Telegraph Rd. one of my friends used to go this way from Hallowing Pt. every day to school - it was much quicker. But Mason Neck likes to skew "facts" to suit their agenda. Again, whatever.

I hope this clarifys.

Date: September 26, 2007 11:32AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> I still say that 7/11 has the best coffee around.
> I take my own thermos and the refill is $1.08 for
> a large cup. I would never pay Starbucks prices.
>
>
> Trickie

I used to drink a lot of 7-11 coffee until I realized that most of the time it is burnt, not strong. I guess that a few stores do a good job keeping the pots clean and changing the coffee before it sits too long. I seriously cut back my coffee consumption about a year ago, but my preference for good, cheap joe is Dunkin' Donuts.

If you want the coffee shop experience and you live near GMU, I would highly recommend Saxby's (ironically located right next door to Dunkin' Donuts in the University Mall shopping center). Their prices are similar to Starbucks, but it is locally owned by Mark O'Meara who also owns the University Mall and Cinema Arts theaters.

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: September 26, 2007 11:58AM

> TRICKIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
but it is
> locally owned by Mark O'Meara who also owns the
> University Mall and Cinema Arts theaters.

Cinema Arts Theaters is cool... They are hosting the spookymovie film fest for the second year in a row!

http://www.thespookymovie.com

EoM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 11:58AM by G-Man.

Posted by: Paul ()
Date: September 30, 2007 12:52AM

ffxn8v said: "Back in history, they were going to be moved from Hayfield to elsewhere but INSISTED they remain at Hayfield."

It was to Mt. Vernon.

Posted by: SDFSDF ()
Date: September 30, 2007 06:30PM

La tolteca is awesome. they've got a sweet bar there and they feed you complimentary chips and salsa. it's located right by 123 and burke centre parkway.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: October 02, 2007 07:00PM

What?

You can't tell me there isn't a Starbucks there. They are everywhere.

Posted by: yo ()
Date: October 06, 2007 06:46PM

Bump

Posted by: eeshanite ()
Date: April 16, 2016 08:20PM

Bump

Posted by: Captian obvious ()
Date: April 16, 2016 10:08PM

All of you talk about coffee like homeless people discuss where to find crack.

Posted by: Captain obviouser ()
Date: April 17, 2016 09:17AM

Captian obvious Wrote:
> All of you talk about coffee like homeless people
> discuss where to find crack.

Or at least that's what they were doing back in 2007....

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.