HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Free and reduced lunch program
Posted by: reality check1 ()
Date: April 10, 2011 03:21PM

I don't know where you are coming from with that comment but we bought a "handy man special" 16 years ago that we pay property tax on. When we bought the home we had 23 percent down (that we saved). When we had the 2nd child I quit my job to stay home and take care of the kids. We always put $100 extra on our mortage. Never bought a new car, always at least 2 years old and kept them for 150 thousand miles one them. Always use coupons and rebates. I don't use credit cards and live within my means. It is called responsible. It you are paying 9000 on property tax maybe you bought to much of a house. Plus we always save at least 7-10% a month. I was young when we got married -20.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Self righteous ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:19PM

Here's some basic math to prove that you are a leech to the county. I pay $9,000/yr in property taxes and only have one kid. Let's say you pay $2,000 for your handy man special trailer and have FIVE kids. That means your kids go to the same school system than my kids but you're paying $400/yr per kid while I'm paying $9,000. That means that I'm paying about 22 times per kid than you. Does that sound fair?

But you were too busy in high school getting knocked up to understand basic math.

People with poor family planning is as much of a pest as illegals and free lunchers.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:24PM

Self righteous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's some basic math to prove that you are a
> leech to the county. I pay $9,000/yr in property
> taxes and only have one kid. Let's say you pay
> $2,000 for your handy man special trailer and have
> FIVE kids. That means your kids go to the same
> school system than my kids but you're paying
> $400/yr per kid while I'm paying $9,000. That
> means that I'm paying about 22 times per kid than
> you. Does that sound fair?
>
> But you were too busy in high school getting
> knocked up to understand basic math.
>
> People with poor family planning is as much of a
> pest as illegals and free lunchers.
-----------------------------------

wow......................how elitist is that bullshit, eh?

Posted by: ahole ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:29PM

No shit. Self righteous needs to count his/her blessings and quit being a prick

Gordon Blvd Wrote:

>
> wow......................how elitist is that
> bullshit, eh?

Date: April 10, 2011 06:47PM

Yeah, it may be elitism. How about white trash with FIVE kids being condescending to reduced lunch kids? Her comments are subtly veiled elitism to me. So I don't mind her tasting and little of her own medicine.

Posted by: reality check1 ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:56PM

Say what you want but in 14 months my home will be paid for and I pay real estate taxes on $695450. It shows what saving, sweat equitity and not living outside my means pays off. With no debt and the economy and housing went south I still slept at night. I did have a set of twins so I was not pregnant that much.

I must have hit a sore spot with you because all I said was to save, plan and be responsible. Maybe you have mom and dad taking care of you. The best thing with my life is when I go back to work next year (so I don't have to worry about sitters) all that money can go into college savings or pay as the kids go.

Ths is called PLANNING.

Next question.

Date: April 10, 2011 09:27PM

By your own words you got knocked up as a teen. Is that planning? I think not. So who are you to judge and go around asking kids if their North Face are real? Again, your own words.
I guess I'm just using the same right you have to be self righteous and look down on people. So please respond how is it fair that you get tax exceptions for screwing up your family plannig and I end up paying many times more taxes than you for being responsible?

Posted by: why ()
Date: April 10, 2011 10:42PM

Why would it have to cost more money to oversee the free lunch program? First of all it's a joke that the only requirement to get on the lunch program is to fill out a form. Would requiring income documentation increase the number of people to operate the program? I believe just the idea of having to provide documentation would stop a lot of the cheaters. Of course there are always those that know how to beat the system.....

Posted by: forum reader ()
Date: April 11, 2011 08:14AM

Posted by: Accountability ()
Date: April 11, 2011 09:12AM

The County school system has absolutely nothing to gain by clamping down on the free and reduced price school lunches. They are Federally subsidized so there is no reason to have that infringed upon. Its taking money away from a program that employs many food service workers, administration personel and food transportation jobs.

If there were a clear and counted number of people recieving these subsidies, such as those that may be of less than legally documented, then citizens would demand that their taxes not go towards feeding the children of illegal immigrants.

Of the 175,000 kids that attend the County schools, let's say the national average of 5% were not here legally, that would be 8,750 kids. If just 50% of those kids were on the F&RP lunches, that is over 4,300 kids PER DAY that are leeching money from our taxes. I wonder how much it takes to feed 4,300 kids each day...

This is not what the school wants. They do not need the masses getting involved in their business. Whether the parents of those kids are illegal or not, the school gets paid to subsidize their food, their education and their books. The County schools system just wants more, because they get grants and can ask for more money that the County ios more than willing to just hand over without any sort of audit or accountability to what it is being spent on.

Its time for some accountability from the school system. Let's find out where our money is going so we can begin to steer it towards where it should go.

Posted by: why ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:06AM

Accountability Wrote:
> The County school system has absolutely nothing to
> gain by clamping down on the free and reduced
> price school lunches. They are Federally
> subsidized so there is no reason to have that
> infringed upon. Its taking money away from a
> program that employs many food service workers,
> administration personel and food transportation
> jobs.
>
> If there were a clear and counted number of people
> recieving these subsidies, such as those that may
> be of less than legally documented, then citizens
> would demand that their taxes not go towards
> feeding the children of illegal immigrants.
>
> Of the 175,000 kids that attend the County
> schools, let's say the national average of 5% were
> not here legally, that would be 8,750 kids. If
> just 50% of those kids were on the F&RP lunches,
> that is over 4,300 kids PER DAY that are leeching
> money from our taxes. I wonder how much it takes
> to feed 4,300 kids each day...
>
> This is not what the school wants. They do not
> need the masses getting involved in their
> business. Whether the parents of those kids are
> illegal or not, the school gets paid to subsidize
> their food, their education and their books. The
> County schools system just wants more, because
> they get grants and can ask for more money that
> the County ios more than willing to just hand over
> without any sort of audit or accountability to
> what it is being spent on.
>
>
> Its time for some accountability from the school
> system. Let's find out where our money is going so
> we can begin to steer it towards where it should
> go.

That's some good logic. So if having kids on the free lunch program is a good thing because it draws federal funds then let's just do away with lunch fees period. FREE LUNCHES FOR ALL!!!!

Posted by: questioner ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:24AM

Accountability wrote:

The County school system has absolutely nothing to
> gain by clamping down on the free and reduced
> price school lunches. They are Federally
> subsidized so there is no reason to have that
> infringed upon. Its taking money away from a
> program that employs many food service workers,
> administration personel and food transportation
> jobs.

Accountability--Where do you think the federal money comes from? This is why we are so in debt right now!

Posted by: extras ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:57AM

It is not just the lunch it is all the extra's that comes with it as well.

Posted by: Mr. $9000 man ()
Date: April 11, 2011 12:24PM

Good for you for living in a big expensive house.

Kinda funny how you are knocking the lady with 5 kids since you have just one.

If everyone had one kid, gee I wonder what our country would look like in 50 years??

There wouldn't be a lot of people around to buy your big fancy house now would there?

Good luck with that social security check that you are waiting for when your ONE kid can't support the system.

Look no further than Japan and Italy and the terrible mess they are in because of all the ONE and no child households.

That lady that you mock and ridicule for having five will far out contribute what you do simply by the fact that she has produced FIVE future taxpayers and homebuyers, etc.

Your self absorbed self is positively pathetic.

Posted by: ...XYZ ()
Date: April 11, 2011 12:46PM

extras Wrote:
> It is not just the lunch it is all the extra's
> that comes with it as well.

How about breakfast, shots, field trips, just about anything that most people consider part of the cost of raising kids? Hell, there are some kids who get cab fare so they can get to school, have no idea why though. Once you get on the free or reduced lunch list, just about everything is paid for. elementar kids get school supplies, computers, you name it.

I can remember when I was in elementary school here in Fairfax Co. and if there was a kid who was poor, the school would very quietly provide the kid with school supplies, the teacher would just slip them in the kid's desk when no one was there (I know this because my mother worked in a school). Now, parents of kids on free/reduce lunch come to the school and ask when they will get their supplies. Then at the winter holidays, (can't call it Christmas) teacher's/PTA will get together and take up toys, gifts etc that are distributed to these same kids. Hell, recently I heard, and I'm not making this up, a school organized a pet food/toy drive to provide the pets of kids on free/reduced lunch

Posted by: the nerve ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:02PM

A secretary at the school where my kids go said that the parent of one of the kids that got free clothes, toys and Christmas presents came and asked for the receipts. She wanted to return the things that were already wrapped (she unwrapped them) and exchange them for electronics stuff. They are getting hundreds of dollars of stuff (winter coat, clothes and toys) but she had the nerve to want more or to tell what she wanted.Not even a thank you. And yes, the answer is they are illegle and the favorite line is "What are you going to do for me".

Posted by: it gets incredible ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:09PM

I opened a Pandora's box when I was the sponsor of an after school club. One parent went to the principal and said that she couldn't pay the club fee for her kid (pleading poverty). I got the PTA to pay the fee, but then I suddenly started getting more calls from parents asking for a free "fee". This was something we could not do because we had expenses and the PTA did not want to start chipping in for every kid.

Posted by: another1 ()
Date: April 11, 2011 07:40PM

This goes back to what someone earlier said people expect their kids to do it all and someone else pay for them. The entitlement. Got to go. Put it back on the parents. They can work another job at mcdonalds to pay for their kids stuff.

Posted by: responsible ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:42AM

Just be responsible. That is all that everyone one here is asking for.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:36PM

more curious Wrote:
> It is not fair to the honest hardworking parent
> that makes a couple thousand over the limit. It
> is not just a lunch but 10 months worth on
> breakfast, lunches, $100 per sport per child, $200
> parking permit, course fee for some subjects that
> are $35 to $75 per semester. Some parents their
> child has to choose. Then those parents that have
> jobs paying more than the honest person but want
> someone else to pay their child expenses. That is
> what is wrong. You have to agree. Not to mention
> kids that don't even live in Fairfax County we are
> educating.

And as a double income no kid person who pays property taxes why do I have to subsidize your brats schooling?

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Posted by: sorry ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:59PM

> more curious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
..... That
> is
> > what is wrong. You have to agree.

No I don't.

Posted by: spring break ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:41PM

What do the parents feel the kids when they are home from school for a week? maybe they should practice packing a lunch and see how cheap they really can feed their kids.

Posted by: To spring break ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:56PM

I agree!

Go to Shopper's and stock up on peanut butter, whole wheat "white bread" (yes they do make this and the kids do not notice), apples, and some fun snack.

My kids will NOT eat a school lunch and think it is gross.

I bet your kids will thank you for making them lunch.

PS I work and have three kids. If I can do it so can you.

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:11PM

Yeah, at least FCPS hasn't picked up this scam yet:

Chicago Tribune
Fernando Dominguez cut the figure of a young revolutionary leader during a recent lunch period at his elementary school.

"Who thinks the lunch is not good enough?" the seventh-grader shouted to his lunch mates in Spanish and English.

Dozens of hands flew in the air and fellow students shouted along: "We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch!"

Fernando waved his hand over the crowd and asked a visiting reporter: "Do you see the situation?"

At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

http://t.co/WimwgbS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 06:19PM by Ut videam.

Posted by: Pack your kids lunch ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:18PM

Hello parents:

Your job as a parent is to make school less stressful.

Please pack your child a lunch.

I feel sorry for the kids made to eat the crap FCPS serves as a lunch. If a parent would not accept it why would your child.

Get off your lazy ass and make your child lunch.

Not a sermon just a thought.

Posted by: opinion ()
Date: April 13, 2011 01:25PM

I think people here are not upset with feeding kids. I think most of them are upset because some people put even the small part of being a parent (feeding their child) on the taxpayer. Then the counties, federal government and state government made it so big that all other parts of what parents are to provide for their child is provided by government agencies. So then those parents have all this extra income to do whatever and the parents that do get the extra help have to watch all their pennies.

I really do not think it is the food, it is all the extras and the way the parents of the child receiving the benefits and always wanting more or rude to the people in the schools if they don't get the extras when they demand it.

Just an opinion.

Posted by: okok ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:47PM

Get real, mostof the people that are on it are illegal, or have drug and booze problems, not to mention prescription drugs. Can't wake up in the morning so it is left up to the school to take care of these kids. Even some 1st graders take care of themselves in the morning. Not to mention 5th graders taken care of younger kids and the parent when they over do it. If we know parents like this stop making it easier for them and get them on board taking care of the family they created.

Posted by: Work ()
Date: April 14, 2011 04:05PM

Get educated. Get a job that will support our family. Work 2 jobs. WORK

Posted by: school out ()
Date: April 16, 2011 02:59PM

Does anyone know if some of the schools will be feeding the kids breakfast and lunch while school is out this week?

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: April 16, 2011 03:09PM

I taught with an "old school" principal many years ago. If a kid dropped money on the floor we took it and put it in the pot for the lunches or supplies. (This was easier than figuring out who the money belonged to. There was nothing at school to spend money on and she figured that any money floating around must be for lunches.) She figured if they had money to play with, it should go toward paying the bills. Of course, almost all the kids were on free lunch. The ones that weren't on free lunch just had too much pride to be on free lunch--they were poor, too.

Can you imagine a principal today doing that?

p.s. She was an EXTREMELY kind woman. She just had strong principles and values. This was forty years ago. Free lunch was abused then, too--but nothing like today.

Posted by: Back when ()
Date: April 16, 2011 04:04PM

In 1982 when I became a single parentof 3 kids the school where my kids went to kept asking me to fill out the paperwork for the free lunch with out knowing my financial status. Thye needed numbers then to get the program off and running. I kept telling them "no" because I would never accept welfare. Back then that was a stigma and I did not want to be grouped with that status and supported my kids and myself with what I made. For two years I was asked monthly about signing up. Just looking when the program started to the abuse now is criminal. It made it easy for people to take the easy way out. It started people thinking that others will take care of them.

Date: April 16, 2011 10:37PM

wow - lotsa stuck up snots trying top preach to others on this thread..........

Posted by: @ Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 16, 2011 10:51PM

and you have wasted your time reading through this thread and making a useless post on it instead of doing something productive with your life BECAUSE.......................?

Date: April 17, 2011 11:53AM

@ Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> and you have wasted your time reading through this
> thread and making a useless post on it instead of
> doing something productive with your life
> BECAUSE.......................?

-----------------------------------------------------

Heh - got yr panties all up in a twist because a of post on Ffx Underground.

Who says I'm not being productive

LoLz

preach away, lady

Posted by: say one good thing ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:09PM

Say one good thing on this tax day while I am paying to support all these people. One goo thing .................................

Posted by: Ideas ()
Date: December 20, 2012 09:42PM

Any view points with the cliff coming around the corner?

Posted by: right ()
Date: December 22, 2012 12:32PM

Just read in the Washington Post that dc lost over 4 Millions dollars with this program,not sure about Fairfax/

Posted by: lunch lady part time ()
Date: December 23, 2012 02:39PM

Just be nice to the lunch ladies kids!
Slip us a couple bucks and we will fix you what you want to eat.
Attachments:
school-lunch21.jpg

Posted by: ReallyYy ()
Date: December 23, 2012 06:47PM

Have you seen th e school food lately?

Posted by: teacher N ()
Date: December 23, 2012 07:52PM

ReallyYy Wrote:
> Have you seen th e school food lately?

The school food is healthy and gross!

Posted by: Looks good ()
Date: December 24, 2012 01:20AM

Looks good!!!!!

Posted by: Dinner time ()
Date: December 24, 2012 05:39PM

Who is having Christmas dinner tomorrow?

Posted by: family tradition ()
Date: December 24, 2012 05:50PM

Dinner time Wrote:
> Who is having Christmas dinner tomorrow?

We are going to tear it up!
Attachments:
resizer.aspx.jpg

Posted by: Comfort Food ()
Date: December 24, 2012 06:01PM

family tradition Wrote:
> Dinner time Wrote:
> -----
> > Who is having Christmas dinner tomorrow?
>
>
> We are going to tear it up!
>
> ...[chinese menu]...

Lol!

As it turns out, a bro-in-law - for whatever bizarro reasons he had - drove up to NYC today and bought us a couple roast ducks from a Chinese joint in Chinatown there. And he's coming back today, too.

So we're also going to "have Chinese" for Christmas dinner!

Yum.

Posted by: cum of sum yung boi ()
Date: December 24, 2012 06:10PM

Comfort Food Wrote:
> So we're also going to "have Chinese" for
> Christmas dinner!
>
> Yum.

Careful when ordering lobster I have heard rumors.
Attachments:
lobster-cat-in-a-pot.jpg

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:29PM

Just make sure you don't work for FCPS as an administrator and apply:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/dozens-of-chicago-public-_n_1676597.html

Posted by: are they black ()
Date: May 09, 2014 04:26PM

why??? Wrote:
> Are you just as upset as I am of the way people
> take advantage of the lunch program in FCPS. I do
> the right thing by taking care of my kids and
> paying all their expenses and others lie on the
> applications a get the free and reduced lunches
> and all the other benefits that go along with
> being on free and reduced lunch and I heard the
> parents laughing and telling other parents how to
> fill out the forms. THis is all happening during
> sporting events. Friday night I heard it again.
> Yes I was listening and hearing that they don't
> even have to pay for the SATs. When leaving they
> drive better car than I do. They also have jobs.
> One woman has a govt job. How can this happen?
> Maybe I am jealous. I just can't lie

Posted by: uope you like feeding their kids ()
Date: May 09, 2014 05:26PM

don't worry about it, they told me they "spot check" the applications...... AKA they never check, I have neighbors with 6 figure salaries that stupidly admit to taking advantage of this. Certain other groups of diversity have long known this secret and have scammed the system for many years.

Posted by: bubs ()
Date: May 10, 2014 12:17AM

Goverment workers get commuting assistance. IRS employees who don't pay their taxes get bonuses. Cliven Bundy gets to graze his cattle on goverment property for free. GOP parasites shut the goverment down, did not work and got paid for it. Church Mall Corporations like McLean Bible don't pay taxes.....The Silver Line Metro is a huge scam that only helps properties owners along the route and people who wont be able to use it have to pay for it....
And somebody is complaining about kids getting help with lunch? Yes, thats is definitely the BIG problem
Amazing...

Posted by: fee ()
Date: December 11, 2014 06:43PM

Where when they realse the lunch rate for the news school year?
loosers Wrote:
> loosers Wrote:
> -----
> > Here are the current income guidelines for the
> > free and reduced lunch program. This chart is
> > listed as ending 6/30/10 but it states on that
> > page somewhere that these numbers also apply to
> > THIS school year.
> >
> >
> http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/notices/ieg
>
> > s/IEGs09-10.pdf
>
> Guess I was a little late with that
> one......................

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.