HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
the future of springfield mall and landmark mall?
Posted by: someone ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:10PM

Dose anyone have any recent updates to what springfield mall will be doing also landmark mall?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the future of springfield mall and landmark mall?
Posted by: Hong Kong ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:38PM

Posted by: hifolks ()
Date: December 12, 2010 03:55PM

Man I hope something good happens with these malls! I like the look of Landmark and it's just too disappointing that it has gone downhill.

Springfield has a lot of potential too, but it is getting more and more boarded up as the days go on. I get my haircut there so I really hope something good happens.

I can't be the only one who thinks that the Ballston Common Mall in Arlington County is just a more upscale Landmark mall, no? I've been there a few times and I think the only thing keeping it alive is the food court...

Posted by: Ballston ()
Date: December 12, 2010 05:42PM

Ballston isn't going anywhere as long as the Caps continue to practice on the roof

hifolks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man I hope something good happens with these
> malls! I like the look of Landmark and it's just
> too disappointing that it has gone downhill.
>
> Springfield has a lot of potential too, but it is
> getting more and more boarded up as the days go
> on. I get my haircut there so I really hope
> something good happens.
>
> I can't be the only one who thinks that the
> Ballston Common Mall in Arlington County is just a
> more upscale Landmark mall, no? I've been there a
> few times and I think the only thing keeping it
> alive is the food court...

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:01PM

Springfield Mall was its own worst enemy. They made the mall too big with the expansion. That and too many low lifes hanging out.

Posted by: 12FU ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:09PM

hifolks Wrote:
> I can't be the only one who thinks that the
> Ballston Common Mall in Arlington County is just a
> more upscale Landmark mall, no? I've been there a
> few times and I think the only thing keeping it
> alive is the food court...

You put it perfectly. The first time I set foot there a couple years back I instantly got the impression that it was a future candidate for DeadmMlls.com circa 2020 or so.

Speaking of which, why isn't Springfield Mall on DeadMalls.com anyway? I could have sworn it was!

Posted by: hifolks ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:26PM

Well, maybe they will get another place to practice haha. I swore Springfield was on there also, but maybe they took it off (if it was ever on) due to the planned revitalization that is in development hall? and good to see I am not alone with Ballston Common Mall.

but last year, or the beginning of this year (I forgot) I went to Landmark and took a lot of photos and took notes, but they got lost as a lot of stores closed. I know the mall went in bankruptcy in 2009 or so but a lot of stores where really closing fast...FYE and some clothing stores.

I've been in the DC metro area since 2008 and started living her since May, and I am from an hour north of Syracuse, NY and that takes the cake for dead malls. Just check Deadmalls.com and you will see what I mean!

Posted by: FAIRFAX_COUNTYS_MASTER_OF_METAL ()
Date: December 13, 2010 06:39PM

Those two malls have not been any good in ages.

2v1rp02.gif

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: December 14, 2010 03:03AM

Ballston Mall is a lunch/happy hour restaurant/bar destination for the many offices over there, and it has a bunch of decent stores and shops that the locals shop at. I doubt that anyone drives from out of the area to Ballston. Except for the movie theatre and the ice skating rink. There's a health club there, too. And a comedy improv / school.

Doesn't seem all that dead to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 03:04AM by Spacy.

Posted by: Tawnya ()
Date: December 14, 2010 11:00AM

Springfield Mall went downhill in the early 90's; it has been a long, slow, suffocating death but now appears to be in a death spiral.

As mentioned upthread, the mall's management has been it's own worst enemy. Let's start with the prevalence of those tacky push carts; instantly the mall becomes cluttered with junky merchandise akin to boardwalk vending.

Then, as mall vacancy rates soared, mom-and-pop, fly-by-night, cheesy stores moved in. Made in Virginia, dollar stores, mall rest area, seasonal costume/Christmas ornament stores and the like made shopping there positively boring and sad.

Really? Carloads of teenagers and young moms are going to race to the mall to hit a sale at...the dollar store? Where's the Gap? Banana Republic? Abercrombie? Those companies don't want to sully their good name by moving into that place and it is too late now. Mall management never courted solid tenants, even in times of economic boom.

You know the mall is in trouble when management opens the mall early so that senior citizens can "mall walk."

DMV (another tenant) moved out.

Last one out, please turn out the lights. Oh...and tell my granny to get out, she's there buying pantyhose at JC Penney.

Posted by: bomb the place already ()
Date: December 14, 2010 11:35AM

Why is it even still open?

Posted by: OldtimeResident ()
Date: December 20, 2010 11:24PM

Springfield Mall is scheduled for redevelopment. The owner - Vornado reality out of NYC recently pulled an accounting trick to reduce their debt load on the mall by 35%. Supposedly now that the debt has been cut redevelopment is scheduled to commence in 1st quarter of 2011 but I've heard that before.

Springfield never really recovered from the 95/495 interchange construction in the 90's which made the mall almost impossible to get to.

Landmark was scheduled for redevelopment, but the former owner - General Growth Properties went busto when the real estate market tanked and they couldn't swallow their debt load on Columbia Maryland. Landmark was just sold to Howard Hughes reality so we;ll see what happens there,

Posted by: dude ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:40PM

isnt there already a mall in springfeild

Posted by: 45acp ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:42PM

When we first moved here, Springfield mall was the place to go. I remember when Macy's opened, and then Border's, Home Depot, Staples, Fridays, and Best Buy. Odd how those places can stay in business and thrive (despite the horrible traffic flow in and out of their lots), yet the mall itself falls apart.

With all the brac development going on in the area, the mall should be able to recover, although in the meantime Kingstowne has turned into a nice place itself.

Posted by: 50GI ()
Date: December 28, 2010 05:05PM

45acp Wrote:

> With all the brac development going on in the
> area, the mall should be able to recover, although
> in the meantime Kingstowne has turned into a nice
> place itself.

I'm not sure that the Kingstowne shopping centers can exactly be called "nice places" by any modern standards. Maybe for the shopping center's patrons which seem to have migrated from garden spots such as Faisalabad, Luanda, San Salvador, Brazzaville, Manassas, or Jersey City.

Posted by: Jose MOrales Santamaria Gonsalves Gomez El Puercador La Oroya ()
Date: December 28, 2010 05:35PM

Not that I like the Sports Junkies, but they did make a few brilliant observations in their day.

One was: "If your town has a combination Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried Chicken, your town is hurting."

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 28, 2010 06:42PM

US Naval Bombing Range.

Posted by: updates? ()
Date: October 14, 2016 08:55PM

What is happening at Landmark Mall? I haven't been there in a few years.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:32PM

Y'alls need to work on your Google skills...

www.newlandmarkmall.com

Posted by: I like kangaroos and vegemite ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:35PM

Huh??? Wrote:
> Y'alls need to work on your Google skills...
>
> www.newlandmarkmall.com

That was their old site, they purchased a better domain now. Looks nice from the pics!

http://www.landmark.com

Posted by: very strange ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:40PM

Huh??? Wrote:
> Y'alls need to work on your Google skills...
>
> www.newlandmarkmall.com

Weird.

Posted by: THEIR FATE ?? ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:55PM

Springfield Mall will be turned into a huge shooting gallery for the FBI/US Military and police from all over the country to practice taking out maniacs. As the ISIS maniacs will blossom like spring flowers if Hillary is elected.

Landmark will be bulldozed for public safety and turned into a seasonal lot.. Christmas Trees, Pumpkins, summer farmers market.. you know.. There will be no places for shoplifters or muggers to hide out..

Posted by: non-shopper ()
Date: October 15, 2016 12:08PM

I generally don't go in shopping malls and only went to Springfield Mall for the DMV which is no longer there. Now Springfield Mall always seems to have a full parking lot every time I drive past. I haven't been to Landmark Mall in a few years. I get car batteries at Sears there but haven't needed one recently. I haven't even been down Duke Street in a few years. Is Landmark still there?

Posted by: Alex.Andrian ()
Date: October 15, 2016 12:18PM

non-shopper Wrote:
> I generally don't go in shopping malls and only
> went to Springfield Mall for the DMV which is no
> longer there. Now Springfield Mall always seems
> to have a full parking lot every time I drive
> past. I haven't been to Landmark Mall in a few
> years. I get car batteries at Sears there but
> haven't needed one recently. I haven't even been
> down Duke Street in a few years. Is Landmark
> still there?

Is it still there? Yes. There is a mall there with some shops. The structure is erect and open for business.

But, this mall hasn't really been there since about 1999.

I took a job there in 1990 after they converted it from an outdoor mall to an indoor mall. I remember thinking it was weird back then that it didn't have a movie theatre. I asked one of the mall marketing executives about it and their response was, "According to our market research, the American consumer will no longer be using movie theatres by the year 1995 so, we decided it would be best not to put one in as part of the remodel/renovation."

And now, here we are in 2016...and the next renovation plan, according to that link above is, they are converting back to an outdoor layout WITH a movie theatre.y

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.