HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fairfax Villa Principal
Posted by: Just Wondering ()
Date: December 09, 2010 04:33PM

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Fairfax Villa Elementary School Principal, Dale Mann? They announced to the staff that he is on leave for an undetermined amount of time. Teachers were told they should not contact him. The whole thing is very hush hush - anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Villa Principal
Posted by: ollie ()
Date: December 09, 2010 04:44PM

The hush hush response usually makes it worse. People inevitably speculate...

But maybe it is for a health reason?

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: December 09, 2010 05:21PM

Agree that it could be a health reason - he has gotten very skinny and has been missing work a lot prior to this. Rumors around the school go from health to drugs. The meeting yesterday makes it worse because of how the powers above are acting about it. Would love to know what the issue is. We are all worried about him.

Posted by: Privacy ()
Date: December 09, 2010 05:38PM

MYOB! And to say it may be drugs is way out of line. Get a life.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:54PM

@Privacy - why is drugs out of line? The guy has been getting skinny and is taking a leave of absence. Could be a health issue, could be an addiction, could be anything really. I don't think most of us teachers are trying to spread rumors - I think we really care about him and are worried. If he has an illness that could take his life we want to know to be there to support him and his family. Dale has been a GREAT principal and we all hope he comes back soon!

Posted by: In The Know ()
Date: December 09, 2010 10:47PM

We had children in a school that Mr. Mann was the assistant principle of. He did a great job - was a man of great character. I'm sure many of you are worried. However, the rampant speculations are not doing any good. All one can really do is wish him the best and hope that he has the best doctors to care for him in this time of need.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: December 09, 2010 11:18PM

@teacher...my wife said the same thing about the staff meeting and I cannot think of a worse way to create even more rampant speculation than trying to keep everything so hush-hush, especially when 4 or 5 staff members know the details. With that said, I don't think that any of the potential reasons are necessarily "good" and there seemed to be a strong indication that if it is a medical condition Dale Mann is not dying. While Dale is not Jeff Clark, FV continues to be a good school with a strong staff. For what it's worth I doubt that he will return to FV as principal once this issue is resolved.

Posted by: Villa E.S. Parent ()
Date: December 09, 2010 11:38PM

I am a parent of 2 children at Villa E.S. and I'm so concerned about him as a person. I would like to respect his privacy; however, it is natural to want to know at least a general reason for his sudden disappearance.

I did notice his recent weight loss, and while I am a health-conscious person myself, I sensed that his weight loss was not a beneficial change. Perhaps that's because he hasn't seemed at ease the few times I've seen him this school year. If he is suffering from any kind of substance abuse or mental health issue, my heart goes out to him, and I wish there were a way for many of us to convey our support directly to him. I would just emphasize to him that there is no shame in getting help and that he would still be held in high regard should he have stumbled.

Of course, this line is based completely on speculation, which brings me to a bone of contention I have with the way this has been handled so far by district administrators.

I hope the school system recognizes that transparency can be helpful in quelling public relations fall-out from a crisis. As long as the district doesn't breach an individual's privacy wishes, I think it is best to give teachers, parents, and other stakeholders in the school enough information that no one would speculate on scenarios that may be far worse than the actual situation, and that instead we can just respond to the matter with subdued concern. At any rate, I told my children today to pray for him and trust that he'll be the better for their healing thoughts for him.

Posted by: da ()
Date: December 09, 2010 11:46PM

what year did mr. mann become the principal

Date: December 09, 2010 11:57PM

Hindsight is 20/20, but this seems like a clear case of 'the less said the better' and a simple, 1 or 2 sentence message like "Dale Mann is taking a temporary leave as principal at FV. During his absence Holly will be the acting Principal with support as needed from Gatehouse." Instead, the Cluster Director got everyone spun up and created something new for people to gossip about with an awkward statement. I totally respect his right to privacy, but all you have now is a firestorm of wild speculation from HIV (which I don't see as a reason to leave the school if you are being treated), drug rehab for pain medication or someone else is ill/dying.

Posted by: Dae ()
Date: December 10, 2010 12:10AM

Date: December 10, 2010 04:44AM

Villa E.S. Parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I hope the school system recognizes that
> transparency can be helpful in quelling public
> relations fall-out from a crisis. As long as the
> district doesn't breach an individual's privacy
> wishes, I think it is best to give teachers,
> parents, and other stakeholders in the school
> enough information that no one would speculate on
> scenarios that may be far worse than the actual
> situation, and that instead we can just respond to
> the matter with subdued concern. At any rate, I
> told my children today to pray for him and trust
> that he'll be the better for their healing
> thoughts for him.

All of his medical information (related to the leave of absence) is confidential in nature. Let's look at a typical scenario. You work for your employer, yet need to take a disability leave (short term or long term). You don't have to let your supervisors or managers know why you're taking that leave - other than to inform them of the leave. Human Rights and your doctor will even encourage you by indicating that they have no right to know about your exact circumstances.

Date: December 10, 2010 04:47AM

Dae Wrote:
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dale-mann/20/1a5/878
>
>
> I want him to resign

Why? Just because someone is a member of LinkedIn? It's an employment social networking site. Through LinkedIn, I've actually been able to get in touch with previous employees that I've worked with in the past.

Posted by: RTK ()
Date: December 10, 2010 07:09AM

The last time I checked you dont have someone leave because of a medical condition. I believe you would be violating a large number of laws to do so.If this is a legal issue and being swept under the rug, parents have a right to know whats going on. This whole matter has everyone in the community highly suspicious.

Date: December 10, 2010 07:17AM

RTK Wrote:
> The last time I checked you dont have someone
> leave because of a medical condition. I believe
> you would be violating a large number of laws to
> do so.If this is a legal issue and being swept
> under the rug, parents have a right to know whats
> going on. This whole matter has everyone in the
> community highly suspicious.

How do you know it was school administration that asked Mr. Mann to go on leave? It may have been him reaching a point with his doctor's recommendation that he take a disability leave. He could have been the one to approach school administration and requested the leave on his own behalf.

Just trying to present this from another view or angle.

Date: December 10, 2010 08:24AM

I find it hard to believe that this was instigated by anyone at Gatehouse since they continue to allow a complete POS like Dan Meier remain at Robinson. The only reason I can see where they would take this type of action is if there was criminal activity involving children, but even that could be a stretch with FCPS and it would not be a private matter.

Posted by: Sad me ()
Date: December 11, 2010 10:03AM

I don't know anything about this, but it's pretty clear from this thread y'all need to leave this guy alone. If it was your business you'd know already. Those of you that claim to be concerned, I'm sure you are on some level, but at least admit that your main motivation in wanting to know the details is your own morbid curiousity and wanting to be in on the gossip. Don't pretend that you are so concerned, everyone learned to see right through that one in junior high. Is this what PTA meetings are like? People sitting around gossiping because they don't have anything interesting going on in their own lives?

Posted by: villa parent ()
Date: December 11, 2010 02:04PM

I am a parent of a 5th grader at the school. I don't feel that I am interested in gossiping - just want to understand what is going on. My daughter wonders where her principal is and what is wrong. The students are gossiping and when she comes home and asks me I would love to have an answer. I have told her that he is going to be ok and that he is with his family right now. We are keeping him in our prayers. It is hard for a child to understand this - and it is hard as a parent to say he is going to be ok when I really don't know.

Posted by: To villa parent ()
Date: December 11, 2010 08:13PM

Cry me a river. Your child will survive. Just thank your lucky stars your school is not closing. If it was you would shitting yourself

Posted by: Villa Parent ()
Date: December 11, 2010 08:18PM

My 6th grade son told me that he was dating one of the his workers. and that he was suspended for his bad behavior. Could this be true? I think He should resign he should at least transfer to another school, Everyone knows he did something bad and he shouldn't be at Fairfax Villa Elementary school anymore. We need a new principal

Posted by: in the know ()
Date: December 11, 2010 08:24PM

He's just doing a little time.

15 will get you 20.

Posted by: You can take ours ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:08PM

Our principal is losing her job at Clifton elementary in the next school year. I heard she is looking for a job. You can have her. She is so awesome. GAG!

Date: December 11, 2010 09:21PM

Villa Parent Wrote:
> My 6th grade son told me that he was dating one of
> the his workers. and that he was suspended for
> his bad behavior. Could this be true? I think He
> should resign he should at least transfer to
> another school, Everyone knows he did something
> bad and he shouldn't be at Fairfax Villa
> Elementary school anymore. We need a new
> principal

Everyone? Really? Dating a staff member seems highly unlikely, especially in light of how few options there are.

Posted by: Parent3 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 10:21PM

"Seeker":

I disagree that's unlikely--there is at least one option, who's also someone that I would be very sorry to see ever leave the school since the individual contributes much to rounding out my children's education.

Anyway, I really hope it's not true that Dale may have gotten into trouble for an inappropriate relationship with a staff member. I do recognize that it's a good idea for a school system to have a policy against supervisors dating anyone they supervise (b/c abuse of power/sexual harassment is a risk in such scenarios), I just hope that, if such a relationship is the reason for his current absence, there are mitigating circumstances in his case; I find it hard to imagine he would harass someone.

I think Dale has been terrific as a principal in many ways that help boost student achievement. His sudden departure leaves my family with a huge sense of loss.

Date: December 12, 2010 11:00PM

Parent3 Wrote:
> I think Dale has been terrific as a principal in
> many ways that help boost student achievement. His
> sudden departure leaves my family with a huge
> sense of loss.

How long have you had children FV? While Dale Mann is a capable principal, it is unfortunate that he followed someone like Jeff Clark who brought so much to the school even if it meant not endearing himself to the people at Gatehouse. Although it has a diverse and challenging student demographic, FV has shown a lot of resilience in maintaining solid performance on SOL and other measure and I don't know that I would credit the principal as much as I would the staff.

I am not sure what an 'inappropriate' relationship with a staff member would be unless he was engaged in some sort of harassment in which case I think that it is unlikely that FCPS would leave open the possibility of his return. This has never been portrayed as anything like a disciplinary action and really seems like a personal issue. While probably not the best idea, I don't know that FCPS policy strictly prohibits dating among staff members and if my memory serves me correctly Jeff Clark dated his AP (now his wife Linda).

Posted by: Shocked ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:32AM

What ever the case may be, it is personal otherwise he would disclose the problem to the community. For those with children at the Villa just let them know that they should not pass judgment as many have done by even mentioning any speculations which by the way are ways to spread rumors. Teach your children to respect others by setting a positive example and if they ask why... tell them the truth, you don't know. Explain how some people go through hardships and rather deal with them in private and that the only thing that can be done is to support them in the same manner. I don't have kids and I am a member of our community and I am saddened by these posts.

Just because we pay taxes that support our schools doesn't mean we are entitled to pry in staff's personal business. Keep comments to yourself and only speak in positive terms about people. All this negativity fuels more negativity and I could only imagine how Mr. Mann feels and how difficult it must be for him to deal with how the community may and is reacting. But if this is how our community reacts then I can see why he is keeping everything private. I was truly hoping a different reaction in this forum and maybe a means to help our school, as a non-parent in our community.

The bottom line is Fairfax Villa has been a school of excellence through out the years and he has maintained that image. Yes it's because of the teachers but ultimately the principal with all his flaws (he is human like us) is the driving force. If you look at the results we can clearly see Mr. Mann gave 100% and we should be looking into how we can help Fairfax Villa especially Mrs. DeVore. This is only her second year as AP and must be sick to her stomach that she no longer has her mentor to guide her.

Tell your kids to be on their best behavior to write letters of encouragement to both Mr. Mann and Mrs DeVore. Like him or not his absence must be felt at the school and this is hard on everybody so stop asking what is the deal and step up to the plate and don't let our judgment forsake our community as mongers.

Posted by: Nice Comment ()
Date: December 15, 2010 08:29AM

Well said, Shocked. I could have added my "theories" and "speculations" to this thread based on some information that I know. However, I've felt that it is inappropriate to do at this point in time. The World is bad enough as it is with people who "hide" behind their keyboards and say things on forums and blogs that they'd never consider saying in person.

I do hope Mr. Mann is on a good path of recovery. Meanwhile, the Fairfax County School system has plenty of capable leaders and educators to step up to the plate to assist in covering the gaps that Mr. Mann's leave to generated.

Posted by: You don't get it ()
Date: December 15, 2010 02:14PM

It's easy to act sanctimonious, I suppose, when either you don't have children at the school so this crisis has very little impact on you or you're "in the know" and take some comfort in knowing the crisis is not as bad as others may fear. Those of you "shocked" to see speculation on this forum may want to consider that those of us who don't know what's going on have no official source to turn to b/c we don't have know the category of crisis this is. If you have knowledge, say, that someone's sudden disappearance is due to a health issue, then it's easy to say, "None of my business; carry on." But what if you are left to wonder whether something happened that may involve other stakeholders and that may therefore impact you or your child/children should more info. ever surface?

So I disagree that this issue is none of the community's business. A principalship is a very public position--center-stage in the school community. Add to that the fact that Dale Mann is very well regarded by many of us and there's both selfless concern (and those of you who doubt the sincerity of that are just channeling your own lack of charity) and self-interested concern (will we lose good teachers at Villa as a result of something that may have happened?).

When there's an elephant in the living room, I think it's always better to address it as openly as possible. If not, curiosity goes underground--isn't that exactly where we are?

about how everyone is supposed to ask no questions, share no information, etc, but some of you "in the know" really don't get

Posted by: FX VILLA PARENT ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:01PM

The problem is the lack of information. In my experience when there is no information that means that someone wants the problem to disappear. I have nothing but respect for Dale Mann. I think if he is sick that should be said if he did something wrong say he is being discipled. We don't need details unless it involves the childern. The lack of info lets the mind wander then we make inacurate guesses.

Posted by: I Disagree ()
Date: December 15, 2010 04:30PM

FX VILLA PARENT Wrote:
> I think if he is sick that should be said.

> We don't need details unless it involves the children.

I think you've contradicted yourself in what you said. If he's sick, it should be said - but, you don't need details unless it involves children? I'm sure if it involved children, you'd be well aware by now as law enforcement would be involved. The school system can't keep the lid on such incidents of that nature.

Let me tell you a little story about being sick - and how private those moments should be. This past winter, I had some out-patient surgery. A co-worker was concerned about me and asked the receptionist if my home phone number was available, so he could call me during the recovery. The Human Resources advisor found out about this inquiry and went through the chain of events and indicated my number should not have been given out - due to the confidentiality of my leave. I didn't have any issues with people knowing of my leave. However, H.R. treated the incident in an entirely different manner.

Date: December 15, 2010 04:50PM

If had to do with the children only the child with the complaint parents would know what had happened it would not be common knowledge. These thing are always kept quiet to protect the child.

Posted by: I Disagree ()
Date: December 15, 2010 05:19PM

FX VILLA PARENT Wrote:
> If had to do with the children only the child with
> the complaint parents would know what had happened
> it would not be common knowledge. These thing are
> always kept quiet to protect the child.

That's not really correct. If you get a moment, read up on the thread where the Centreville High School teacher is currently in jail (and, without bond) for his "dealings" with a minor.

Date: December 16, 2010 12:03PM

I'm not saying that happened at Fx Villa but that is a total different situation.
That student had already graduated when she reported the violation which makes her not a minor. Fx Villa is an elementary school all children are minors. The cases if any would be sealed to the public until 18 years of age.

Posted by: Poor dude ()
Date: December 16, 2010 12:26PM

It must suck to have parents like you in his school. I wish him all the best. Now stop the gossip ladies.

Date: December 22, 2010 12:38PM

any new gossip on this subject?

Posted by: Fairfax Villa Janitor ()
Date: December 22, 2010 02:13PM

FX VILLA PARENT Wrote:
> any new gossip on this subject?

Stop bumping these older threads. Nobody has any new news, or they would have posted it. Would you like a lump of coal in your stocking for Christmas???

Posted by: Fairfax Villa Groundskeeper ()
Date: December 23, 2010 12:40PM

Bump

Posted by: Fairfax Villa Psychiatrist ()
Date: December 23, 2010 04:01PM

Fairfax Villa Groundskeeper Wrote:
> Bump

For the last time, NO! I'm going to have to diagnose you with OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, since you can't let this subject go.

Now, leave Mr. Mann alone. I'm asking you for the last time.

Posted by: hahaha ()
Date: December 24, 2010 01:00PM

back to the top it goes. Mr.Mann rocks the sweater vest.

Posted by: bump ()
Date: January 03, 2011 12:38PM

any new gossip.

Posted by: Inn The Know ()
Date: January 03, 2011 05:14PM

bump Wrote:
> any new gossip.

Sorry, no new updates. This must be bugging the hell out of you - not being able to find out the true cause for his absence. It's probably keeping you awake at night, too.

You might want to find a hobby or read a book. You need to find something more useful to do with your time.

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: January 03, 2011 06:41PM

When in doubt, go with AIDS.

Posted by: bump ()
Date: January 04, 2011 03:09PM

it's the big HI-5

Posted by: In the know NOT ()
Date: January 04, 2011 10:17PM

I think it is funny this person says they are in the know - I bet they aren't and they are just messing around. loser

Date: January 04, 2011 11:08PM

In the know NOT Wrote:
> I think it is funny this person says they are in
> the know - I bet they aren't and they are just
> messing around. loser

Prove me wrong. Why would I waste time messing around with this? It's sickening that there's a bunch of people who claim that have a right to know what has happened to this leader of their school. However, they don't. It's a confidential matter - and, the school system does not have any responsibility to release any of this information.

Oh, thanks for calling me a loser.

Posted by: In the Know NOT ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:41AM

I can't prove you wrong and I'm not saying I don't agree - I just think it is funny you flaunt that you know. I know what happened with Dale and I don't post that up here - I just laugh at what people write and periodically check to see if anyone got the right information.

Date: January 05, 2011 08:30AM

At this point any discussion around this topic seems rather moot. My understanding is that Dale Mann's office has been cleared out and the interim principal appears to be settling in nicely which is good to see since I did not understand how the 'placeholder' from the cluster office was really going to be able to contribute much to the school's day-to-day operations.

Posted by: spooky ()
Date: January 05, 2011 09:53AM

RTK Wrote:
> The last time I checked you dont have someone
> leave because of a medical condition. I believe
> you would be violating a large number of laws to
> do so.If this is a legal issue and being swept
> under the rug, parents have a right to know whats
> going on. This whole matter has everyone in the
> community highly suspicious.

I dont believe that anyone has confirmed the situation was of a medical nature, but how does a high profile person like a principal just disappear?, Office cleaned out, vague staff meeting to discuss it. Beginning to sound like an X-file

Posted by: Pote ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:54PM

I think it's funny that "Inn the Know" supposedly knows what is going on. I'm sure she does since Dale told all of his special friends what was going on but left the rest of the staff in the dark. We all know who is "In the Know" at the Villa and it's caused a rift between some staff members. Who cares if Dale returns at this point? Nobody wants him back since he's shown a complete lack of respect for his staff!

Date: January 07, 2011 11:31PM

Pote Wrote:
> I think it's funny that "Inn the Know" supposedly
> knows what is going on. I'm sure she does since
> Dale told all of his special friends what was
> going on but left the rest of the staff in the
> dark. We all know who is "In the Know" at the
> Villa and it's caused a rift between some staff
> members. Who cares if Dale returns at this point?
> Nobody wants him back since he's shown a complete
> lack of respect for his staff!

How do you know that "Inn The Know" is a she? Keep speculating - you're doing a fine job.

Posted by: Villa Fan ()
Date: January 09, 2011 10:00AM

Folks, please do us all a favor and keep it clean and professional here. Our kids are not stupid; I'm quite sure they've found this site, and we should all be setting a good example. Open discussion is great; pettiness is not.

Best wishes to Mr. Mann, whatever it is. He's not obligated to tell anyone anything.

This does however, very much speak to how poorly the school board handles communications. Anything would have been better than the letter they sent. All they had to say was "for personal reasons" or something. That wouldn't stop speculation (human nature) but it certainly would be more "warm and fuzzy."

Posted by: None of your business ()
Date: January 11, 2011 11:31PM

Everyone just get a life. He's really sick and might die. He didn't have a relationship with anyone and he didn't do drugs!

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: January 14, 2011 10:34PM

I am so saddened by all of this. We LOVE Mr. Mann and he is in our prayers.

Posted by: n the know ()
Date: January 15, 2011 07:33AM

No matter how well you think you know someone, you dont really know them.

Posted by: former villain ()
Date: January 17, 2011 11:51AM

mr mann is the worst principal ever. i was at fairfax villa for Dr. Clark and the change to Mr. Mann, and he would threaten us with cancelling our beloved 6th grade plays, which are a huge tradition. everyone is praising him but he sucks.

Posted by: Villa Mom ()
Date: January 17, 2011 11:29PM

When did some kids become so callous? I'm referring to the sniping of the Villa graduate who posted here. I love wikis in my professional life and somtimes enjoy browsing this site to learn more about local sites and events than news outlets cover, but I do find some of the nasty rhetoric hard to take.

Add me to the handful of posters here who have suggested they wish Dale well wherever he is now. I found him to be very accessible to parents and children alike, as well as responsive to the children's wide-ranging needs. I recall the principal at my own elementary school as someone who was cloistered in her office all day and never knew the names of any but a handful of the kids. Dale's high visibility and personableness made for a welcome contrast.

I wish I could send him a card or something to cheer him (assuming he's down in some way); I just hope he knows that many in the community appreciated his hard work and hope he is in a good place, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and so forth.

Posted by: Inn The Know 2 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:26AM

Villa Mom Wrote:
>
> Add me to the handful of posters here who have
> suggested they wish Dale well wherever he is now.
> I found him to be very accessible to parents and
> children alike, as well as responsive to the
> children's wide-ranging needs. I recall the
> principal at my own elementary school as someone
> who was cloistered in her office all day and never
> knew the names of any but a handful of the kids.
> Dale's high visibility and personableness made for
> a welcome contrast.
>

Yes, he was a very good assistant-principal back in the day. Very involved in the activities of his former school(s).

Posted by: Wishing Him Good Thoughts ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:47PM

Rumors are first and foremost hurtful. Be careful, slander is destroying someone's reputation.

Mr. Mann is / was a fine principal for many years at Fairfax Villa. The FX Teachers Association acknowledged this twice by ranking him as one of five top principals (out of 132) in his 6 years at the Villa. Test scores rose from 70% to ALL above 95% this past school year. The number scoring in the "pass advanced" range has dramatically increased as well. There are many programs and incentives that he started that promoted student achievement--that's what school is all about. Where else can you say that black students outperformed white students in mathematics? ONLY at the Villa. He hired ALL new staff members (Ms. Lee, Mrs. McKenna, Ms. Costanza, Mrs. Peake, Mrs. Cannon, Mrs. Lopez, Mrs. Hanlon, Ms. Tarrant, Mr. Snyder, Mr. McNamara, Mrs. Clifford (now the principal at Powell), Ms. Anne, Mrs. Cohen, Ms. Brooke, and many, many more. His vision was excellence.

Comparing him to Dr. Clark is unfair. Mr. Mann had his own strengths and weaknesses like everyone. However, his staff loves him. Many parents adore him because he really helps and has / had an open door policy. He was extremely responsive and did "whatever it takes" to help kids be successful. He did not take away the musical.

If he does not return to Fairfax Villa, it is important to acknowledge him for his exceptional performance. He worked many, many hours beyond contract to support our learning community. I remember he called me at 7:30 PM one night just to tell me how proud he was of my son. My son still talks about this because Mr. Mann told me to take him out for ice cream.

People don't like high expectations because they have to work. Something that has been lost in this "me" culture. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I know how much he loved being a principal. This has to be a difficult time for him.

Be careful to judge, you might me next.
Regards,
Parent

Posted by: Inn The Know 2 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:28PM

Wishing Him Good Thoughts Wrote:
>
> People don't like high expectations because they
> have to work. Something that has been lost in
> this "me" culture.

Well said. Thanks for your input.

Posted by: I agree ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:30PM

Thank you for this wonderful, positive post! He did work extremely hard for students, staff, and parents alike. I hope he does return soon and if not then I wish him all the best. The Villa will always be a good school, but without Mr. Mann it will not be the same.

Villa Parent

Posted by: I know ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:47PM

Stop feeling sorry for Mr. Mann. If you all knew what I know you would be sickened and would not want your children around him. Just wait...

Date: February 02, 2011 05:17PM

Why don't you tell us then?

Posted by: I know too ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:06AM

The nature of it doesnt matter , just be glad it played out this way, good writins.

Posted by: Seriously? ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:24AM

I know too Wrote:
> good writins.

Seriously?

Posted by: hearsay ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:32AM

I call bullshit. I have heard no such reports. If you have real information please share if not stop spreading your rumors.

Posted by: bs meter ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:42AM

You can call it anything you want, when you hear the truth you will say the same thing.

Posted by: Seriously? ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:46AM

bs meter Wrote:
> You can call it anything you want, when you hear
> the truth you will say the same thing.

I doubt that I will say "good writins"!

Posted by: hearsay ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:47AM

I'm wait for the truth. I don't think you know anything.

Posted by: heresay ()
Date: February 03, 2011 10:55AM

I think you might be waitING for the truth, and it will come out.Since so few people were privy to it, it won't be me that divulges it. Just watch the media.

Posted by: sad ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:14PM

The children were told today that he won't be coming back:(

Posted by: twoatthevilla ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:33PM

Getting back to the start of this thread, when the concerns were still legitimate, I agree with the concerns of those mentioning lack of information being worse. It's a difficult situation, you want to respect someone's privacy and let them manage their own life in private. But the kids at the Villa care for Mr. Mann. He doesn't owe anyone any explanation, however when you care for someone it's hard to accept that they would go off and be sick (which we know to be true) and possibly die without a word, a goodbye, anything. It's difficult to have things left so open ended, especially for kids.
That said, I KNOW it has to be incredibly painful for him as well. He loves his job, that is clear to anyone. He is in our prayers.

Posted by: hmm ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:41PM

If he loved everybody so much an explanation would have been appreciated. Tells you something about an individual that just runs off and doesnt bother to say goodbye. Believe what you want.

Posted by: AIDS? ()
Date: February 03, 2011 04:45PM

People are mostly understanding but leaving and NEVER to say goodbye is sad. I understand privacy but this is what comes out when you leave others in the dark. We are talking about little kids. I wish him all the best.

Date: February 03, 2011 04:48PM

I don't "believe" one thing or another, there is nothing but speculation here. Perhaps he believed he would be back. Or perhaps a more specific announcement is forthcoming. And if he is truly terminally ill, he certainly has the right to spend his last days as he wishes, and without traumatizing hundreds of children in the process. I only know what I have seen, and our well wishes will continue.

Posted by: wow ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:25PM

child pornography

watch the news -its coming

Posted by: villa ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:44PM

At our staff meeting it was stressed that he is NOT sick - at least physically. He also wants nothing to do with the staff. So all you parents who insist he's sick - it's just in the head!

Posted by: Mundt ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:49PM

This doesn't have the marking of a "normal" child porn case. While the school system might want to keep a child porn case quiet, the cops would be under no obligation to do so if they made an arrest- in fact it would be public record. However, I suppose if this was a federal case and a continuing investigation, the prinicipal could be removed and the circumstances kept quiet in order not to compromise the investigation. That would make sense as the feds would want to protect the children as quickly as possible by removing the principal but would put a gag order on the county so as not to alert other offenders whose arrests may be pending. I don't mean to cast asperions on Mr.Mann because I don't know him at all and it would be terrible if he had an illness or some other tragic event in his life and now people are stirring up unwarranted suspicions, but it I could see where a federal investigtion could play out this way

Date: February 05, 2011 09:55PM

We are all about to feel really stupid... and really mad

Posted by: villa pop ()
Date: February 06, 2011 12:31PM

That would be because you got fooled.

Posted by: huh ()
Date: February 06, 2011 06:04PM

fooled? strange word for it

Posted by: luv the vill ()
Date: February 06, 2011 06:47PM

What exactly is "IT"?

Posted by: really? ()
Date: February 07, 2011 08:31AM

Really Child Porn - I call bs.

Posted by: Grunt ()
Date: February 07, 2011 08:54AM

villa Wrote:
> At our staff meeting it was stressed that he is
> NOT sick - at least physically. He also wants
> nothing to do with the staff. So all you parents
> who insist he's sick - it's just in the head!

So, was there a 'wink-wink' comment about his condition which implied that his condition is not physical and with time the curtain will open on what is really going on?

Posted by: villa mystery ()
Date: February 07, 2011 10:48AM

So is he still employed by FCPS or being "reassigned"? That would be an indicator.

Posted by: teach ()
Date: February 07, 2011 07:50PM

He is no longer employed by fcps. He resigned

Posted by: neighbor ()
Date: February 07, 2011 08:11PM

Resigned? Then it must not be health-related. If it were, the logical thing to do would be to take medical leave, not resign.

Posted by: another neighbor ()
Date: February 08, 2011 08:58AM

Resignation after suddenly disappearing usually means getting out before termination proceedings begin. In other words, you know you've been had and any hopes of getting another job somewhere else depends on whether you left or were asked to leave. Still the whole matter suspisciously stinks.

Date: February 08, 2011 02:48PM

neighbor Wrote:
> Resigned? Then it must not be health-related. If
> it were, the logical thing to do would be to take
> medical leave, not resign.

OR, he WAS on medical leave, and now he may be terminally ill. When he left, parents were told that he is on extended leave. It could have been medical leave. Why does everyone WANT to believe the worst in people?

Posted by: neighbor ()
Date: February 08, 2011 03:37PM

Not so much wanting to believe the worst, but if one is ill,it makes sense to drag out the "employed status" as long as you can, because once you resign, the cost of continuing your health insurance can be prohibitive. As a long-time FCPS employee, it's reasonable to presume he might have some long-term sick leave available to him, allowing him to continue health coverage at the normal employee cost.

Date: February 08, 2011 04:01PM

Now that is a point.

Posted by: reality please ()
Date: February 08, 2011 04:12PM

Let's see....if everything about this principal was above board, do you honestly think FCPS and this principal would allow this speculation to continue without clarifying?

If the guy is taking medical leave-legit-not some drug addiction-then why not say so?

Has to be something serious. The silence speaks volumes. FCPS likes to sweep the nasties under the rug and hope nobody notices.

Posted by: villa file ()
Date: February 08, 2011 07:21PM

I think you are on the right track, he might have been more forthright with a true medical issue but not as much with substance issue s,. The schools wont put it out there but since he is not an employee apparently, any one at the school that he told would not be out of line to disclose anything.If he is such a stand up guy, he could have been honest with the people he supposedly cared for. Everyone would have remembered him with alot more respect.

Posted by: someone ()
Date: February 08, 2011 10:48PM

So glad to hear that Mr. Mann is gone! Bad Pricipal, bad administrator, bad to kids! You are not to be missed!

Posted by: inside view ()
Date: February 09, 2011 08:08AM

Yes you are right,the way staff was treated was just wrong.

Posted by: villa parent ()
Date: February 09, 2011 10:17PM

I can tell you what I observed before his dismissal. He was sick quite a bit and had lost alot of weight. I do know he has problems with opening up to the comunity I think there was a problem at his previous school where a parent complained about seeing him at a bar. Not sure about that though.

Posted by: really ()
Date: February 10, 2011 07:57AM

HMMM , what could it be other than just being sick?.

Posted by: Bs ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:15AM

He might have a drinking problem but not the reason he left. They are allowed to go to bars.

Posted by: robin ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:24AM

As Batman once said - They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also human beings

Posted by: Nope ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:29AM

I saw my former principal at the casino last week. He still the principal at tha school. He was also drinking

Posted by: checker ()
Date: February 12, 2011 08:40PM

Is it certain he resigned?

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.