HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Student Suicide at JMU?
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: September 05, 2007 08:22AM

This may not really be considered relevant to Fairfax , but would you expect to hear about a student suicide at JMU on the local news? Maybe this is something that happens all the time and nothing is made of it, but we heard from a friend last night that a girl, living in a single room, was found dead from self-inflicted knife wounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Student Suicide at JMU?
Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: September 05, 2007 09:34AM

Having worked in the media at one time, the policy of many news outlets used to be to not report suicides out of respect for the families unless there is evidence of foul play. Don't know if that still holds true, but it could be a factor.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: September 05, 2007 09:38AM

makes sense.. and if it did come on local news - it would probably only be the local news of the town where JMU is, and the town where whoever is from...

Posted by: hellothere ()
Date: September 05, 2007 09:43AM

FYI - this is posted in the JMU student newspaper

Death reported at Rockingham Hall

Posted on September 4, 2007
Ryan Feldman of Richmond, 19, a sophomore at JMU, died on Thursday afternoon as a result of a self-inflicted wound. The university received confirmation of the cause of death from the medical examiner in Roanoke late Friday afternoon.

“We are all deeply saddened by the loss of one of our own,” said JMU President Linwood H. Rose. “Ryan’s death reminds us of the fragility of human life and should encourage us all to reach out to support and nurture our friends and colleagues. The entire JMU community sends its deepest sympathies to Ryan’s family.”

According to Rockingham Hall Director Jess Horton, she has received offers of help from other hall directors, members of Residence Life staff, the Counseling and Student Development Center, JMU Police, friends and students.

“Ryan’s death will continue to affect many people for a long time, some more than others and to varying degrees,” she said. “It does not really matter when, or how, or why he died. At the end of the day, the fact of the matter is that he is no longer with us.”

University Spokesman Don Egle has reported that there are no further updates.

JMU is offering counseling services to anyone who has been affected by this unfortunate loss of life. Please contact the JMU Counseling and Student Development Center, located in Varner House, for support and counseling.

Date: September 05, 2007 09:51AM

If i were to ever commit suicide... i would sooo make all things point to murder.

would be cool.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 05, 2007 12:26PM

Thin the Herd

Posted by: jmu grad ()
Date: September 05, 2007 12:36PM

rockingham used to be a freshman hall linked up with HoJo's there. I wonder if the guy was an RA? if so i can sympathize... sophomore years was my most stressful and i was an RA too that year. probably shouldn't have done both.

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: September 05, 2007 01:21PM

whats up with kids going to school to suicide. why waste ur parents money? if u are gonna suicide do it before ur parents dish out the tuition.. GEESH so selfish

no offense

Date: September 05, 2007 01:30PM

Parents: enter stage left

Posted by: Ryan's family ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:44PM

Ryan Feldman is my nephew, a brilliant and beautiful person. The pain his family feels as a result of losing him is insurmountable. I came across these posts two years aftwer Ryan's death. For those of you who chose to post callous commentary, I say to you that I hope you receive mercy when you find yourself or your loved ones find themselves at their most vulnerable points in life. Furthermore please consider that the cruelty behind your words are part of the sickness of our society that renders the degree of hopelessness which leads people to choose such a tragic and horrible end to their life.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:57PM

Ryan's family Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Furthermore please consider that the
> cruelty behind your words are part of the sickness
> of our society that renders the degree of
> hopelessness which leads people to choose such a
> tragic and horrible end to their life.

This thread was very tame and dare I say sympathetic compared to just about every other "death" thread here. Of course bumping it and saying that will bring on some uncolorful comments I'm sure, I kinda wish as a fellow JMU grad that this thread was not resurrected.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 28, 2009 09:38AM

pgens Wrote:
> This thread was very tame and dare I say
> sympathetic compared to just about every other
> "death" thread here. Of course bumping it and
> saying that will bring on some uncolorful comments
> I'm sure, I kinda wish as a fellow JMU grad that
> this thread was not resurrected.

exactly!

Ryan's family Wrote:
> Furthermore please consider that the

i know first hand that society doesnt give a shit about anything they dont understand and dismiss it. there is also the out of sight out of mind aspect of it. all people care about are money, sex, their possessions and what the world can do for them. mankind is a huge disappointment in my eyes and i hope for it's swift destruction in the near future.

file.php?2,file=6438
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TPR ()
Date: October 07, 2009 06:39PM

Just a curiosity, what room did Ryan Feldman lived in at rockingham?

Posted by: 4200cc ()
Date: October 07, 2009 10:07PM

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH RYANS Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111!!!! HE 0wned HIM SELF WITH A KNIFE

Posted by: BMW ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:23PM

Ryan's family Wrote:
> Ryan Feldman is my nephew,

WAS your nephew.

a brilliant and
> beautiful person. The pain his family feels as a
> result of losing him is insurmountable. I came
> across these posts two years aftwer Ryan's death.
> For those of you who chose to post callous
> commentary, I say to you that I hope you receive
> mercy when you find yourself or your loved ones
> find themselves at their most vulnerable points in
> life.

If something tragic happens to my family members, I won't be looking to a message board for support

Furthermore please consider that the

People have been killing themselves long before the internet, in all cultures, throughout time. It's not our society, it's humanity.

Posted by: JMU Alumni ()
Date: October 08, 2009 12:35PM

Go Bulldogs!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.