HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best Basketball Coach in Region
Posted by: The man ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:52PM

As I told you a few days ago, PJ Kelly is the new coach at Stuart. Told you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BigPJfan ()
Date: May 15, 2011 01:13AM

I have always like PJ Kelly as a coach but what is going on in his life that he cant coach Fairfax? I know he lives in Fairfax near Fairfax HS.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: May 15, 2011 09:00AM

The man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I told you a few days ago, PJ Kelly is the new
> coach at Stuart. Told you.

Show a source or shut up. Not in my wildest imagination can I believer he left Fairfax for Stuart.

Date: May 15, 2011 10:41AM

It's a done deal Steve. You can call Brian Garvey at Stuart and ask him. PJ Kelly lives in Burke, by the way. Nancy Melnick is the new AD at Fairfax, replacing the retiring Tim Gordon. The new Fairfax coach is former Woodson JV coach Matt Barbee. I don't post this stuff unless I know for sure. Trust me. I am in the know about this series of moves.

Posted by: NorthernRegion ()
Date: May 15, 2011 03:47PM

Can confirm PJ Kelly is the new Head Coach at Stuart. He had been at Fairfax for 9 years and wanted a new challenge. Kelly is a program-builder and has an opportunity to start fresh at a program close to his heart, having played and coached at Falls Church.

steve k2, I don't know what kind of source you want as a Head Coaching hire at Stuart isn't going to make much news, but like The Man said, you can definitely call up Brian Garvey at Stuart -- he will confirm for you.

As to the Fairfax situation -- the guy you're referring to is Mike Barbee. Is that a done deal for him over there? If so, the Woodson tree just keeps growing. With Ben West getting the job at Stone Bridge, Wendell Johnson already in his third year at South County.

Also worth noting is the turnover in the Liberty District over the last two years. Of the eight programs, five will have changed head coaches either this year or last year. In addition to the Fairfax and Stone Bridge jobs, last year Andrew Duggan took over at South Lakes, Mark Gray-Mendes at Jefferson, and Dan Hale at Marshall. Remarkable for one district to be in that much of a state of flux.

Date: May 15, 2011 05:45PM

NorthernRegion Wrote:
> Can confirm PJ Kelly is the new Head Coach at
> Stuart. He had been at Fairfax for 9 years and
> wanted a new challenge. Kelly is a
> program-builder and has an opportunity to start
> fresh at a program close to his heart, having
> played and coached at Falls Church.
>
> steve k2, I don't know what kind of source you
> want as a Head Coaching hire at Stuart isn't going
> to make much news, but like The Man said, you can
> definitely call up Brian Garvey at Stuart -- he
> will confirm for you.
>
> As to the Fairfax situation -- the guy you're
> referring to is Mike Barbee. Is that a done deal
> for him over there? If so, the Woodson tree just
> keeps growing. With Ben West getting the job at
> Stone Bridge, Wendell Johnson already in his third
> year at South County.
>
> Also worth noting is the turnover in the Liberty
> District over the last two years. Of the eight
> programs, five will have changed head coaches
> either this year or last year. In addition to the
> Fairfax and Stone Bridge jobs, last year Andrew
> Duggan took over at South Lakes, Mark Gray-Mendes
> at Jefferson, and Dan Hale at Marshall.
> Remarkable for one district to be in that much of
> a state of flux.

Well I would figure Fairfax was a big enough challenge for Coach Kelly, afterall he never really won there. He had a very strong team coming back next year with great jv and freshmen teams to boot I can't believe he'd go to Stuart who has like 3 wins combined with varsity, jv and freshmen. I heard he stepped aside for personal issues, not to take a weaker posistion. We will see when an article comes out but I'm not buying that one.

Also why would Fairfax hire the Woodson jv coach over their own who has been there for 10 years. I would have figured Fairfax would attract someone with varsity experience though.

Date: May 15, 2011 05:56PM

The sense I get from his friends that I know is that he needed a change of scenery -- that the relationships that he had with the players there had just gotten a bit stale. PJ is the kind of guy, I think, who would rather leave too early than too late. With his connections to that area, it makes a lot of sense to me that he would go to Stuart. Yeah, it's going to be tough to get close to .500 most years, but my guess is that he'll be happier. Coaches don't always make every decision in life based on winning, in my experience.

Fairfax has a lot of talent returning on the roster, but they will miss Boyle and McLeod. Holley is a huge question mark too, as he's always had issues with injuries and keeping his head on straight. But those two sophomore guards (Burnett and Robic) are VERY savvy players for their age.

As for Barbee, right here was the first I'd heard of him getting the Fairfax job. If he indeed got it, it probably had a lot to do with his 15-1 record this season in a tough Patriot JV league. He always does a nice job with his teams, but there is SO much more to being a Head Coach than simply what you do between the lines. It'll be a good challenge for him as the Liberty keeps getting younger and younger (if in fact he does have the job).

Posted by: Fairfan ()
Date: May 15, 2011 10:16PM

Call me old fashioned by why would FAIRFAX hire a WOODSON coach? I know they are in different districts now but is that rivalry even dead?

Date: May 16, 2011 03:44PM

I haven't seen a secondary confirmation on that yet, so I'm not entirely certain that it's true. If it is, though, that would seem a little bit odd. I can tell you that as far as the students are concerned, the rivalry is absolutely not dead. I've been to two Fairfax-Woodson games in the past four years and both schools get amped for the matchup.

Posted by: cavs world ()
Date: May 16, 2011 03:53PM

I don't think they did hire the Woodson jv coach, but if they did, even with a rivalry I would figure a school wants to hire the best available candidate. If Fairfax feels a Woodson coach can do that, power to them for being objective in their search.

I would really assume Fairfax would want a bigger name than the Woodson coach though. I saw Woodson jv play this year and they had two big man that anyone could win with, I was shocked they weren't up on varsity. Fairfax is really one of the better jobs in the county ever since they got out of the Concorde and into the Liberty District.

Posted by: cavs world ()
Date: May 16, 2011 06:51PM

Fairfax will be announcing their coach tomorrow at 2:30pm in a press conference.

Date: May 16, 2011 09:13PM

It is Barbee. Trust me. I told you about PJ Kelly and was mocked. Yet I was right. Melnick is the new DSA and Barbee is the coach.

Date: May 16, 2011 10:15PM

I've yet to see anything to indicate you were right about PJ Kelly at Stuart. No press release? I find it hard to believe it has not been announced yet.

Date: May 16, 2011 11:18PM

You probably won't get one, either. Perhaps at some point he or someone else will update their website at raidersports.org but Brian Garvey offered PJ that job last week and he accepted via a phone conversation. That's a done deal.

Posted by: fed. up ()
Date: May 17, 2011 06:13AM

PJ is a program builder are you serious ? Where has he ever won? Better yet what has he ever won? Let look at northern VA basketball Stuart hires PJ why good old boy network. Fairfax hires Barbee why ? Mt Vernon hand picks Miles for the job the funny thing is he doesn't show up for the interview and doesn't get the job. Tony Harris leaves Stuart why lack of support from AD he did a Hell of a job over there made them relevant they played hard every night. Tony held the kids accountable his player loves playing for him they were one basket from the regional final four two years ago PJ won't so that I guarantee that Mike Harris leaves Lee why lack of support from AD plus a dumb ass good standing rule kids are ineligible to play at Lee are eligible all over the state. AD and principal have run off coaches ans and teachers. If you look at the region as a whole the problem is with the NEW STYLE DSA'S and principals either no sports backgrounds or have little league mentality. The DSA'S at Fairfax Lee Mt Vernon Stuart and Fairfax along with the principals look at the people who are making the hires what the Hell have the ever done except ensure northern region stays irrelevant in the state its not just the AD's and principals

Posted by: the caged man sings ()
Date: May 17, 2011 07:28AM

fed up, this has nothing to do with the DSA's. Coach Harris quit on Stuart because he realized what a disaster of a situation it was. He didn't have great returning players and they didn't have one varsity caliber player on their freshmen or jv team. Don't glorify the man, he went to the region final 8 a couple years ago which is no doubt a great accomplishment, but they had the players that year to do it too.

At schools like Stuart, Falls Church, and Lee the talent comes in classes every few years. Programs like this will have winning seasons every 3 or 4 years but will not be a consistent winner.

Posted by: z dog ()
Date: May 17, 2011 07:59AM

You have no idea about the man as a person he was about making a bad situation into a good one he raised the program at falls church have you heard anything from there since he left the same will happen at Stuart. Fact is it still is about race even in2011. Talk about the Woodson tree how come the black assistant coach can't get a job by the white ones can. The strong black coaches are being replaced and denies opportunitiesfor coaching positions as well as administration but let's not go there

Posted by: kkk ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:23AM

FX county is run by racist who don't care about sports if you are a black man who has a strong personality or have the amity to think you are a threat and won't last long in the county. If you as a black coach get a job you will only be one and if it is at a Stuart for Falls church or schools like that you will never go to the big schools. I'm sure the Smith's Mt V or the Harris guys or the Mackey's couldn't be at Fairfax or lake braddocks they don't want that kind of coaches in their school you have to kiss ass like Ewell at Westfield aka house _ boy won't use the term look at what Martino did at Chantilly Mckeag at Robinson did they get other coaching opportunities yea ans why? You got it

Posted by: the truth ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:43AM

kkk Wrote:
> FX county is run by racist who don't care about
> sports if you are a black man who has a strong
> personality or have the amity to think you are a
> threat and won't last long in the county. If you
> as a black coach get a job you will only be one
> and if it is at a Stuart for Falls church or
> schools like that you will never go to the big
> schools. I'm sure the Smith's Mt V or the Harris
> guys or the Mackey's couldn't be at Fairfax or
> lake braddocks they don't want that kind of
> coaches in their school you have to kiss ass like
> Ewell at Westfield aka house _ boy won't use the
> term look at what Martino did at Chantilly Mckeag
> at Robinson did they get other coaching
> opportunities yea ans why? You got it

Every coach wins at Chantilly, I don't care who you are. Then to question Ewell's blackness, this is what holds black people back. There are more white coaches because there are far more white teachers. A much more pressing issue is there are no hispanic or asian head coaches that come to mind.

Posted by: sbacon ()
Date: May 17, 2011 09:58AM

Ed and Bob both lived in the new Robinson school district at the time. What transpired was that their mothers found employment in the Fairfax County school system and at the time if a parent worked in the school system then the student could go to any of the schools. Later the Tiernans moved into the WSHS school boundary to a house in a neighborhood off Keene Mill Road. Red Jenkins had players at Woodson who also had a parent working in the system and were able to go to Woodson. I am sure many schools had students who went to schools outside the boundary because a parent worked in the school system. I believe the rules have changed since that time so a student can only go to a school that serves the boundary they live in or the school a parent works in. Not sure if that still exists today but it did. As for Coach McCool not getting another head coaching job I believe he was a head coach at Chntilly at one point and then worked with Brian Metress at Lake Braddock for many years - at least up until two years ago as his defensive coordinator. I have not talked to Coach McCool in about a year so I don't know if he came back last year.

Posted by: z dog ()
Date: May 17, 2011 10:21AM

Seriously WTF are you talking about did you read what the dude said who's talkin about who moved etc....btw who the Hell is ed and is bob mckeag just curious . No one is questioning his blackness is he black and are you sure

Date: May 17, 2011 12:41PM

Wow, this thread degenerated pretty quickly.

The black assistant that some of you have referred to is Durmia Marshall at Woodson. He's a good coach and well-suited to his job as an assistant, but as the face of a program he would raise some questions. Has nothing to do with the fact that he's black, and everything to do with his sideline demeanor. It's been a rare Woodson game that I've attended where he doesn't draw the ire of some official, which as an assistant is a big no-no.

Rocky Carter at Lee (and formerly Lake Braddock), who is white, is the same way. I've actually seen him get into it with Durmia before at a game where both were scouting. These guys draw attention to themselves, but not always in a positive way. There are plenty of other examples all over the region.

There is definitely something to this "new brand of DSA" business that you all are talking about, though. There is a trend going around of players and parents being allowed to evaluate their coaches via anonymous surveys that is just asking for trouble. Stuff like this is how the mess at TJ with Coach Grimm happened.

Date: May 17, 2011 12:48PM

Oh, and regarding Tony Harris -- some of you have talked about a lack of support from the DSA and so forth. Tony's a passionate guy who does a lot for his kids behind the scenes and puts a lot of work into what he does. He's a very good coach.

That being said, he does not project the cleanest image on the sidelines. He drops F-bombs on his kids left and right in the middle of game action, loudly enough for everyone in the gym to hear him. That may have flown at some point a while back, but in today's FCPS environment it doesn't. Everyone in the county is tremendously image-conscious, and a good number of DSAs and principals care more about appearing to run a classy program than about wins and losses, or in some cases even the development of their student-athletes. It's all about the doctrine of "Cover Your A$$".

Posted by: fed. up ()
Date: May 17, 2011 02:48PM

You are absolutely right the cowards who are running schools DSA and principals hide behind anonymous surveys that no one ever see if anything is negative examples: Jefferson ask Grimm at Lee ask Everett and any other coach at Lee where every head coached has been replaced . Marshall and Carter are quality coaches who are gettin a bad rap

Posted by: TJDE4 ()
Date: May 17, 2011 03:04PM

Ok let's be real image conscious schools are being run by pople who are less than honest aka...liars the days of working for someone who you could trust is gone if the image Fairfax county wants to portray is that of dishonesty with employees then i am glad I don't have kids in that.system anymore better yet not a coach

Date: May 17, 2011 05:50PM

Well, the man, was right about Woodson JV Coach Matt Barbee taking over the program at Fairfax. Very interesting hire.

I still have my doubts about PJ Kelly at Stuart, but if you were right about that, kudos to you.

Posted by: FFX wins ()
Date: May 17, 2011 06:44PM

I don't know much about Mike Barbee other than a little bit about his background. No clue what his philosophy or coaching style is but I can tell you right now, it doesn't matter. Fairfax wins the liberty district next year with all that is returning. Zack Burnett, John Robic and Jazz Holley mixed with a deep bench and a new coach who will actually run plays will give Travis Hess a run for his money. Yes they are losing Macleod, but Boyle graduating is a good thing over there.

I find it an interesting hire as well but know success is inevitable next season. I'm more curious to see how he does the year after and so on.

Date: May 17, 2011 06:54PM

Thank you Steve. Not sure how to convince you about PJ. It is a done deal.

Fairfax is not as good as Langley, McLean, or South Lakes next year.

Posted by: FFX wins ()
Date: May 17, 2011 10:08PM

They are not as good, they are better than all of those you mentioned. Nobody will be able to guard Jazz Holley or Matt Frank and the back court of fairfax is as good as it gets in the Northern Region. We'll see what happens, still have a long way to go, but you heard it here first.

Posted by: Iknowitall ()
Date: May 18, 2011 07:57AM

fed up...I don't know where you get your sources from for Miles was not handpicked for MV. He was just another candidate like everyone else, little bit of knowledge from speaking to him, he missed the interview for the birth of his child. I think that is a just little bit more important.

The county is not racist either, i read that from someone on here, AD's and principle pick coaches that they feel is good for the school and community. They don't want a crazy person walking the sidelines embarrassing the school, so in my opinion the quality of the person just counts more than X's and O's of the game. It's a sad fact but it true, if you look at the quality of play by some programs you will ask yourself "how did he get the job?" Someone else was right when they said you have AD's making decisions that has never played a sport in their lives. That hurts programs as well because are making school decisions instead of making sports related decisions.

Date: May 18, 2011 08:25AM

Fairfax is not as athletic or talented as the three previously mentioned. Those three teams look very good. Fairfax will be in the mix for third or fourth but PJ wouldn't have left if they were contenders. But it is the Liberty so anything can happen. I just don't think their talent is that special.

Posted by: Amazed ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:32AM

Mike Harris coached more than 10 years and he was an embarassment! He had a run of great talent early on in his tenure there, think Val Brown, and there was another guy earlier named Kobe something or other, got a full ride to Dayton or Akron. His teams played very poor defense and had embarassing losses. And, he definately attempted to use his race and size to try and intimidate opposing players, coaches, officials, score keepers, time keepers, andy anyone else. It was almost predictable that he would get at least one technical in every game.

So if the gender of the ref shouldn't make any difference, I wonder if what he said to her when he grabbed his crotch had any significance. His words were something to the effect "if you had any of these...." you would or would not make such and such a call. Ummmm, I know that for a fact because she told me what he said! The thing is she was one of the better officials in the region at the time.

Posted by: Amazed ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:55AM

Racism in hiring? Ummm, have you ever heard of Wendall Byrd? He only coached at South Lakes for 20 years or so. How about Derrick Steele, Eric Brent, Daryl Mackey, the current Edison Coach, there have been many black coaches, some outstanding and some so-so, pretty much like everyone else.

I'm know there are racists everywhere, but I don't think you could make blanket statements that black coaches can't get hired.

Date: May 18, 2011 10:07AM

The Liberty District will be difficult next year as none of the top teams really lose much. Langley loses one of their big men, but has almost everyone else back and has to be the favorite to win again. Mclean though, has had the same core of players on varsity since their second year and will have quite a few great seniors, this is their year to win it all, and they have a great chance at it as well.

Fairfax and South Lakes will fight for that 3 spot. I tend to agree that South Lakes will beat out Fairfax if Duggan can get control of the team and have them buying into their system. Then Madison and Stone Bridge will be a lot stronger too, and actually the more I think about it have a good shot at suprising people.

Posted by: not quite ()
Date: May 18, 2011 10:20AM

Everyone wins at Chantilly?

....better tell the girl's team....

Date: May 18, 2011 10:49AM

Madison is still average to bad. I have seen them play the last few weeks. I know not everyone shows up to off season leagues, but their core is still pretty weak.

South Lakes has some really good athletes and some kids that can shoot the ball. They are going to be in the mix. Langley is Langley, lots coming back and well coached. McLean looks very good. Gordon Rogo and Amolo are solid, and Thomas Van Wazer is back and he was all district. Pasco is a sophomore big man who is going to develop into a really nice high school player. McLean hasn't won a District title since 1971 so I am not going out on a limb and picking them. But Langley is not invincible and South Lakes doesn't have the mystique that it used to have (not to mention Michael Jackson, Jerome Scott, Grant Hill, Joey Beard, ect.) But Duggan is doing a good job and they took Herndon into the fourth quarter in the second round of regionals in Feb. South Lakes is on the up.

I don't want to hear a word about Stone Bridge basketball. Win some games and then we will talk.

Posted by: i'm amazed ()
Date: May 18, 2011 12:53PM

I'm the one amazed of all the black coaches mentioned were any of them able to get another coaching job in FX county after leaving that one the answer is no just as someone states its one and done! People here make outlandish statements that they wouldn't even consider being man enough to say in person about someone. I like this site until people post lies

Date: May 18, 2011 01:10PM

That's a silly argument. The ones who won't get jobs again are the ones who embarrass themselves and their school. That goes for white coaches AND black coaches alike.

I guarantee you that if Alphonso Smith or Wendell Byrd or Ivan Thomas wanted a job today, they'd probably have their pick of whatever job was open. The same probably goes for Sonny Greene, though he didn't have as much success. The lesson is simply: Conduct yourself in a classy manner, have some success on the floor, build a good program that is respectable, and white or black, you'll be given the opportunity to succeed.

I look at guys like Tony Bentley, Doug Ewell, and David Houston -- these guys are fiery guys who run great programs and conduct themselves well on the sidelines. They might pick up an occasional T, but they're not nasty. Ewell's not my kind of guy, personally, but I respect him and what he does with that program.

Don't make it a black-and-white thing. The black coaches I know are offended when it's presented in that manner.

Posted by: fx teacher/parent ()
Date: May 18, 2011 01:44PM

Being an African-American I am truly disturbed by what is going on in this county. The subject of coaches being hired or not hired is true in this county just as it is in administration as well. We have to open our eyes even in 2011 there is no equality in coaching or administration. The ones who disagree aren't the ones on the outside looking in, everything isn't about race but don't be foolish enough to think it doesn't still factor in just look at how the president has been attacked did Bush have to endure the same ? How many African-American administrators are there in the county ? The people who are getting slammed on these type forums is what's being said personal attacks where its ok to say whatever you like since you won't have to face that person or even really know the person. We as teachers are put in the position just as coaches to be parents to some of our students and players sometimes the methods don't fit what some would be ok with all the time but if your honest and fair with the kids and the ones your in charge go on to successful lives. So whether it be in the class or court its not ok to judge a coach or teacher without basis

Posted by: fed up ()
Date: May 18, 2011 01:54PM

Who decides who is classy or not? Is Metress classy? Was Martino or Thompson or Steve Henry ? Let me guess Mike Harris Tony Harris aren't right ? Did their players hate playing for them have you talked to anyone who knows either man? The answer is no I'm sure that both will be fine in whatever they choose to do

Date: May 18, 2011 02:00PM

Let's see....

I wouldn't call Martino or Henry classy, no. Metress has his bad moments, that's for sure. And Charlie Thompson probably evoked too many memories of Bobby Knight. But the difference is, those last three guys coached in another era, and Metress now works for Martino.

Most players loved playing for Tony Harris. I can't say the same for Mike. But neither of them conducted themselves on the sideline in a manner that today's new-style DSA would be a big fan of.

I have no desire to comment on whether today's trend in Northern Region basketball coaching is right or wrong. All I'm interested in here is trying to explain why things are the way they are using the resources that are available to me -- several friends of mine who are or have been head coaches. I used to play in the region many years ago, and it holds my interest.

Date: May 18, 2011 03:50PM

Please, no more afirmative action talk. It sounds absolutely silly. This thread is to talk about Northern Region Basketball, not the injustices of society.

Posted by: Poppa2011 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 09:36PM

What is the "good standing rule" at Lee that makes otherwise eligible kids ineligible. I have never heard the details on this.

Date: May 19, 2011 01:21AM

+1 steve k2

Posted by: good standing rule ()
Date: May 19, 2011 05:57AM

The good standing rule is that if a kid at lee has less than a 2.0 he or she is ineligible to participate in any school activities which includes study halls which would help them. Example if a kid has 6 C's ans a C- he does not have a 2.0 and is ineligible for the quarter initially now if he has 7 C's at interim time he or she would be eligible. Through out the spring season many athletes were participating while below that average. The football program was hit hard many players had to miss the final two games of the season basketball lost a couple many students weren't allowed to try out at this point almost 20-25% of the students aren't in good standing also if you aren't in good standing you aren't allowed to attend any school events that includes games or pep rallies etc... even if you're paying there is a list to make sure you don't get in !

Posted by: FLA LEO WSHS 75 ()
Date: June 05, 2012 09:48PM

Wow, 70's Spartans. Loved that trip to Charlottesville. Coach McCool! Tiernan Bacon, Koesters....

Posted by: played for McCool ()
Date: December 22, 2012 04:14PM

Nova you r dead wrong Ed Teirnan lived in Orange Hunt which was in the West Springfield district and Bob Ferrismom worked for the school district so he could go anywhere he wanted to.

Posted by: The Man ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:50AM

After 2 years, I wonder if Stevek2 believes me yet that PJ Kelly left Fairfax for Stuart. Man I got mocked for that one, yet I had the info all along......

Posted by: seems like the Fairfax program ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:09PM

has gone downhill for the past few years. hopefully they can turn it around this year.

Posted by: B Ball Watcher ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:24PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> NorthernRegion Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can confirm PJ Kelly is the new Head Coach at
> > Stuart. He had been at Fairfax for 9 years and
> > wanted a new challenge. Kelly is a
> > program-builder and has an opportunity to start
> > fresh at a program close to his heart, having
> > played and coached at Falls Church.
> >
> > steve k2, I don't know what kind of source you
> > want as a Head Coaching hire at Stuart isn't
> going
> > to make much news, but like The Man said, you
> can
> > definitely call up Brian Garvey at Stuart -- he
> > will confirm for you.
> >
> > As to the Fairfax situation -- the guy you're
> > referring to is Mike Barbee. Is that a done
> deal
> > for him over there? If so, the Woodson tree
> just
> > keeps growing. With Ben West getting the job
> at
> > Stone Bridge, Wendell Johnson already in his
> third
> > year at South County.
> >
> > Also worth noting is the turnover in the
> Liberty
> > District over the last two years. Of the eight
> > programs, five will have changed head coaches
> > either this year or last year. In addition to
> the
> > Fairfax and Stone Bridge jobs, last year Andrew
> > Duggan took over at South Lakes, Mark
> Gray-Mendes
> > at Jefferson, and Dan Hale at Marshall.
> > Remarkable for one district to be in that much
> of
> > a state of flux.
>
> Well I would figure Fairfax was a big enough
> challenge for Coach Kelly, afterall he never
> really won there. He had a very strong team
> coming back next year with great jv and freshmen
> teams to boot I can't believe he'd go to Stuart
> who has like 3 wins combined with varsity, jv and
> freshmen. I heard he stepped aside for personal
> issues, not to take a weaker posistion. We will
> see when an article comes out but I'm not buying
> that one.
>
> Also why would Fairfax hire the Woodson jv coach
> over their own who has been there for 10 years. I
> would have figured Fairfax would attract someone
> with varsity experience though.

For Steve2K's football acumen, his comments on basketball teams and coaches turned out to be widely off the mark. Stuart was competitive last year under Kelly.

Fairfax is going to be much worse not better now that Robik and Burnett are gone. Their JV team was friggin' lousy last year.

Posted by: actually re Fairfax jv last year ()
Date: November 25, 2013 12:33PM

I think their jv squad last year at Fairfax was 13-3. far from lousy.

Posted by: for real??? ()
Date: November 25, 2013 03:49PM

'their JF team was friggin' lousy last year' - WTF? they had a great record last year. what's wrong - your kid didn't get picked to play and now you are all sour?

Posted by: Coaching ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:04PM

Diane Lewis and Terry Henderson at Edison.

Posted by: Dhabi ()
Date: June 04, 2021 08:18PM

NLT

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.