HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Basketball Coach in Region
Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: November 29, 2010 11:05AM

This is a spinoff from a discussion about Chantilly basketball and it has me wondering who the best basketball coaches there in the Northern Region? I guess you could include in recent memory. 3 that come to my mind are Don McCool and Charlie Thompson. Other than Mike Hinson when he was at TC Williams I can't think of any that have won state championships.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Basketball Coach in Region
Posted by: answer man ()
Date: November 29, 2010 01:40PM

Joe Wootten - beginning and end of conversation

Date: November 29, 2010 01:56PM

He's the coach at O'Connel, right? If so, it's hard to compare since he is at a private school and hence there "might" be a recruiting advantage.

Mike Hinson had an undefeated state championship season.

McCool and Thompson both coached for nearly 30 years and had success at different schools.

Posted by: hoops guy ()
Date: November 29, 2010 02:20PM

slubdawg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's the coach at O'Connel, right? If so, it's
> hard to compare since he is at a private school
> and hence there "might" be a recruiting
> advantage.
>
> Mike Hinson had an undefeated state championship
> season.
>
> McCool and Thompson both coached for nearly 30
> years and had success at different schools.

DeMatha actually, he may have been able to recruit but he had to play other teams that could also recruit the best players in the country

Posted by: knight moves ()
Date: November 29, 2010 02:22PM

hoops guy Wrote:
> slubdawg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He's the coach at O'Connel, right? If so, it's
> > hard to compare since he is at a private school
> > and hence there "might" be a recruiting
> > advantage.
> >
> > Mike Hinson had an undefeated state
> championship
> > season.
> >
> > McCool and Thompson both coached for nearly 30
> > years and had success at different schools.
>
>
> DeMatha actually, he may have been able to recruit
> but he had to play other teams that could also
> recruit the best players in the country

O'Connell. Not much of a hopps guy, are you?

Date: November 29, 2010 02:31PM

knight moves, said
"O'Connell. Not much of a hopps guy, are you?"

Nope, guess I'm not much of a hoops guy.

I know that Morgan Wooten was the legendary coach at DeMatha, and I don't think there's any question that he was one of the greatest basketball coaches ever, probably at any level. Even John Wooden said so.

Wasn't Joe Wooten, Morgan's son, the coach at O'Connell? Guess I didn't know he went to DeMatha!

Posted by: hoops guy ()
Date: November 29, 2010 02:35PM

knight moves Wrote:
> hoops guy Wrote:
> -----
> > slubdawg Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > He's the coach at O'Connel, right? If so,
> it's
> > > hard to compare since he is at a private
> school
> > > and hence there "might" be a recruiting
> > > advantage.
> > >
> > > Mike Hinson had an undefeated state
> > championship
> > > season.
> > >
> > > McCool and Thompson both coached for nearly
> 30
> > > years and had success at different schools.
> >
> >
> > DeMatha actually, he may have been able to
> recruit
> > but he had to play other teams that could also
> > recruit the best players in the country
>
> O'Connell. Not much of a hopps guy, are you?

Hell no! I'm a hell of a hopps guy just not much of a hoops guy. Yes, I was thinking of Morgan, not Joe.

Date: November 29, 2010 02:59PM

Ok, to try and get this back on track, I was hoping to hear who folks thought was the best basketball coach in the Northern Region, as in public schools.

Speaking of which, I just heard that Ed Grim was either fired or not rehired at TJ. He was the coack at Paul VI at one time and had been at TJ for over 10 years at least. From what I had heard, he was a good guy, have no idea about his coaching ability however.

Posted by: bolano ()
Date: November 29, 2010 03:09PM

Here's the article on Ed. It was pushy parents that were giving him issues, and then his players asked him to resign in a meeting. Tough break, because I think he was a good coach, not many people are going to win at a school of nerds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/14/AR2010111403180.html

Date: November 29, 2010 03:52PM

I just read that article and am blown away. I knew that Grimm was considered a good guy, but that must have been one of the toughest things ever.

Again, I have no idea about whether he is a good coach or not. So, the senior players got together and convinced him to resign because he wouldn't press or fast break, etc. So, now they have a new coach, wonder what they will do if they don't win with the new coach. What if they don't like what he says during a timeout? Maybe have another meeting during the game and come up with a different strategy.

Now, I'm going to have to go to see a TJ game and see what kind of talent they actually have. Seems to me these TJ kids have always been the best at what they do and so if they don't win at bball it cannot be the fact they don't have the same talent level as other schools.

Maybe, they did the coach a huge favor. I think it would be a great idea to keep track of how their season goes.

Posted by: george ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:03AM

Fred Priester no question is the best

Date: November 30, 2010 08:18AM

george Wrote:
> Fred Priester no question is the best

You have got to be kidding.

Posted by: -SBS-_ ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:16PM

slubdawg Wrote:
> george Wrote:
> -----
> > Fred Priester no question is the best
>
>
> You have got to be kidding.

Based on accomplishments, Priester is a valid argument.

Posted by: LOL@Priester ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:52PM

-SBS-_ Wrote:
> slubdawg Wrote:
> -----
> > george Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Fred Priester no question is the best
> >
> >
> > You have got to be kidding.
>
>
> Based on accomplishments, Priester is a valid
> argument.

Acomplishments?

You mean besides having 6-8 stud players dropped in his lap over the last 10 years? You do know he had no clue who Jasmine Thomas was when she showed up 30 days into the school year, after the Holy Cross thing didn't work out, right?

Or were you talking about the accomplishment of scheduling, year after year, the 8 worst teams in the Northern Region for out of conference games?

Priester is an argument for longevity and luck.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: November 30, 2010 01:25PM

On the guys side, it's tough if your criteria is state championships, since the NR cant ever seem to beat the 757.

The guy at Langley is pretty impressive, although I'm unsure if he's still there. Travis somebody....

On the girls side, the 2 best coaches in the NR are Pat Deegan at Westfield and Billy Gibson at West Springfield. Both win every year no matter their talent levels, which in public schools is always cyclical. And they coach to the talent they have, vs shoving the same system out every year.

As for Priester, he has to play Deegan twice or three times every year. Deegan wins most of those. And he won't play West Springfield EVER unless the NR tournament makes him...LOL

(the Coach Grimm story at TJ is a travesty.I'm still blown away after reading that....although I'm glad he took his shots at retard parents on his way out the door.)

Date: November 30, 2010 02:00PM

fairfaxdude, you make a good point about using state championships as criteria. although Hinson, McCool, and thompson all have impressive records besides their state championships. from a causal observers view though I think that Thompson might get the nod because he won at Lee, Robinson, and Oakton and did it without always having a bunch of studs. McCool's legacy is tarnished somewhat because of the recruiting violations that took place after the state championship run but while he was still the coach.

And talk about coaching your talent. You know maybe Grimm looked at his talent and realized that pressing and fast breaking would be disastorous. I remember a number of years ago there was a coach at Marshall, can't remember his name, who decided to implement Paul Westhead's up tempo system. he tried to press and fast break every possession and got his brains beat out night in and night out. He didn't have the skill, talent, athletic ability to play that way, but he stubbornly stuck to it. He didn't last long there. I do recall seeing a game once and he had to be one of the goofiest looking guys I've ever seen.

LIke I said in the first post, I've been out of touch for sometime (my wife would say all the time) so don't know about current coaches. I just looked up the schedules and TJ plays at W&L tonight. Maybe they will press and run them into the ground!

Date: November 30, 2010 05:02PM

LOL@Priester Wrote:
> Acomplishments?
>
> You mean besides having 6-8 stud players dropped
> in his lap over the last 10 years? You do know he
> had no clue who Jasmine Thomas was when she showed
> up 30 days into the school year, after the Holy
> Cross thing didn't work out, right?
>
> Or were you talking about the accomplishment of
> scheduling, year after year, the 8 worst teams in
> the Northern Region for out of conference games?
>
> Priester is an argument for longevity and luck.

Stud players??? LOL. Besides Jasmine Thomas, name one. I've seen the team go to the finals with arguably NO "studs", with their tallest player maybe 5'11". He's done an excellent job at Oakton, especially considering how undark the school is.

Posted by: good guy ()
Date: December 01, 2010 08:44PM

deegan beats preister regularly? are you kidding go back to 2000 and see how many of those 2 or 3 times each year WHS won. I know for a fact the number will fit on one hand. how about a couple yrs ago the Cougars won the first 29 before losing in the finals by shooting 3 of 32 from inside the arch.

Posted by: good guy ()
Date: December 07, 2010 02:30PM

just a follow up I think Oakton won its first game 90-20 this week, Priester is going to rule the Northern Region again

Posted by: whs ()
Date: December 07, 2010 02:34PM

Doug Ewell is the best bballcoach in the area ya dig

Posted by: northern region fact ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:28PM

lmao Doug Ewell is a bum, 4 wins last year at Westfield? When you have that many kids I don't care how young or inexperienced your team is.

On a serious note though, I've never seen him make a real good in game adjustment.

Then on the girls side, seriously the hell with Priester. Girls basketball is all about talent and Oakton always has it. Kind of shady if you ask me. Just like the UConn women's coach.

Posted by: ffxchick ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:59PM

PJ Kelly at FHS rocks!

Date: December 10, 2010 09:39AM

northern region fact Wrote:
>
> Then on the girls side, seriously the hell with
> Priester. Girls basketball is all about talent
> and Oakton always has it. Kind of shady if you
> ask me. Just like the UConn women's coach.

Nobody asked you.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: December 10, 2010 09:51AM

answer man Wrote:
> Joe Wootten - beginning and end of conversation

Hell yes, and don't forget his father at DeMatha.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: LOL@Preister ()
Date: December 10, 2010 11:32AM

-SBS-_ Wrote:
> northern region fact Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Then on the girls side, seriously the hell with
> > Priester. Girls basketball is all about talent
> > and Oakton always has it. Kind of shady if you
> > ask me. Just like the UConn women's coach.
>
>
> Nobody asked you.

He's a stats-padder, both his own and his kids. He beat Langley 90-20 ( one of the worst Northern Region teams ever in the last 10 years) and has such powerhouses as TJ, W-Lee, and LEE in the next week or so. At least this year he's got them playing in a real tournament in FL, instead of inviting the 7 worst teams in the Region to play in the Oakton-hosted tourney every Christmas break.

Priester is a poser. He's benefited from move-ins (3 of his current starters), and WCAC drop-outs for the last 6-8 years.

Posted by: No Bull Here ()
Date: December 10, 2010 01:43PM

Gibson was so crafty at West Springfield in getting girls to pupil place (sign language.....give me a break) that they changed many the rules about out of season coaching and made the pupil placements somewhat more restrictive.

Can you say Kara Lawson, graduate of West Potomac,,,,er West Springfield? Just one of many.

Posted by: MudStick ()
Date: December 10, 2010 02:14PM

Red Jenkins, had some great teams at Woodson but never could get past TC in the regions. Also had some really good squads at Paul VI

Posted by: WTW ()
Date: December 10, 2010 02:40PM

Talk about using the pupil placement process to get players into his school, Red was the master. How do you think all those D 1 Players ended up there?

Posted by: BOFUS ()
Date: December 10, 2010 05:28PM

Edison High School Coach:

HENDERSON ","TERRY ","A","033"," 718","N JORDAN #401 ","ST","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","07/25/2003","TELEPHONE RADIO ABUSE/OBS/THREAT "
"HENDERSON ","TERRY ","A","034"," 16695","FLOTILLA ","WY","WOODBRIDGE ","VA","12/12/2004","65-69MPH/50MPH ZONE "
"HENDERSON ","TERRY ","A","037"," 5510","LEISURE ","CT","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","09/13/2007","FAIL OBEY HWY SIGN "
"HENDERSON ","TERRY ","A","038"," 5510","LEISURE ","CT","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","01/22/2008","DRIVE-OL RVKD/SUSP "
"HENDERSON ","TERRY ","A","038"," 5510","LEISURE ","CT","ALEXANDRIA ","VA","02/07/2008","NO/STATE INSPECTION "

Posted by: WTW ()
Date: December 11, 2010 02:53PM

ffxchick Wrote:
> PJ Kelly at FHS rocks!

Might have another teacher/coach arrest story in the making!

Besides he can't be even mentioned in the same breath with Red Jenkins or Morgan Wootne, or Joe Wooten, or Charlie Thompson! Good Lord.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 08:26AM

What is up with PJ Kelly.

I don't think he's ever had a winning season at Fairfax though, I don't even know why we're talking about him. Robinson put up 96 points on his team.

Posted by: Budda Dog ()
Date: December 14, 2010 12:31PM

Are you all forgetting another coach who's been around for almost 30 years? Brian Metress at LBSS. Started at Hayfield, successful every year, been to state semi's, and even to state finals with a public school team. Since moving over to LBSS has done well with the exception of last year and probably this year with little to no talent ass clowns. His first losing season was last season. The guy doesn't win every year but 1 for almost 30 years and get to shout outs.

Posted by: Dykie ()
Date: December 14, 2010 01:27PM

Sue Redfield, early 80's West Springfield....

Posted by: Budda Dog=retard ()
Date: December 14, 2010 02:22PM

You can only go to state semi's if you are a public school team.

Posted by: Budda Dog ()
Date: December 14, 2010 03:49PM

For a northern region team to go to state's or even just semi's is phenomenal considering most teams getting that far are from area's not populated with so many private schools and academies like the northern region is. THat was the point dumb-ass.

Posted by: local ()
Date: December 14, 2010 04:54PM

Stu Vetter is prob the best of the bunch. When he was at Flint Hill, I recall him ending the season #1 or #2 in the USA Today poll. He also has nice program at Montrose Christian now. Lots of NBA talent comes out of his coaching.

Posted by: oaktondude ()
Date: December 14, 2010 07:26PM

I was coached by Charlie Thompson at Oakton and he is definatly one of the best ever to coach in NOVA. reminded me a lot of Bob Knight. demands the best from everyone and gets it. His son Joe isn't doing too bad either.

Posted by: @Good guy ()
Date: December 16, 2010 06:15PM

because priester has won so many more state titles than deegan right?

Posted by: bald ()
Date: December 16, 2010 07:58PM

Stu Vetter? Please. The guy won at Flint Hill by using 5th year seniors. One of his players at Montrose (Yarou now at Villanova) may actually have been 24 years old his senior year of HS.

Date: December 16, 2010 11:38PM

Agreed, Stu Vetter has always been loaded with talent. I've seen nothing great out of him. He had tremendous talent at Flint Hill for a few years and Montrose Christian always has NBA talent coming through, and they'd be prospects without his coaching. You can put almost any coach in the Northern Region in Stu Vetter's posistion and they'd be just as succesful if not more. Even the faker Priester on the ladies side.

I've actually never heard of Brian Metress and been folllowing the Northern Region for 10 years. Good for him he's had continued success, but that is almost always the case at Hayfield and Lake Braddock has a big student pool to pull from.

Posted by: Koko B Ware ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:17AM

If we're talking private schools too, then I'd go Stu Vetter or Joe Wooten (son of the greatest HS coach ever - Morgan Wooten). Can't go wrong with either. It takes more than just talent to win as often as Vetter has. They are playing the top teams with fairly equal talent most times. Joe Wooten is a good one, but you should expect it since his father was the greatest HS coach ever and one of the greatest at any level. He's done a nice job at O'Connell trying to step out of the enormous shadow of his father.

Date: December 17, 2010 10:37AM

Koko B Ware Wrote:
> If we're talking private schools too, then I'd go
> Stu Vetter or Joe Wooten (son of the greatest HS
> coach ever - Morgan Wooten). Can't go wrong with
> either. It takes more than just talent to win as
> often as Vetter has. They are playing the top
> teams with fairly equal talent most times.

I don't know what you're talking about. Private schools have more talent in general, but Vetter's teams and a lot of teams for that matter have much more talent then their opponents almost night in and night out.

The heck with him though, this is a region thread so we're talking guys in the northern region. Private school hoops is almost as corrupt as a lot of AAU basketball is.

Posted by: Koko B. Ware ()
Date: December 17, 2010 12:07PM

It takes a lot to get as many guys to the Pro's as Vetter has. The guy doesn't just happen to keep having a job as a coach. He's a great coach and anyone who thinks otherwise really has no idea what it takes to coach or really any realistic views on the sport and should go watch soccer.

Anyone interested in buying a talking bird?

Date: December 17, 2010 01:38PM

Haha, at the private school level and in college it all about recruiting. That's not to say there aren't great coaching, but Vetter reminds me of Calipari at Kentucky, if he didn't get the best recruiting class in the land every year resulting in two programs being put on probation, he would be a very mediocre coach. Same with Coach Petrino at Louisville.

Why do you think these coaches risk there jobs with shady recruiting, if a good coach can churn out pros?

Posted by: NOVAELITE ()
Date: December 17, 2010 04:09PM

What about Wendell Byrd from South Lakes, doesn't have a state title but have made it to the finals more then enough times. Coached at SL for 23 years, and built the school to be known as a stong bball school.

"Byrd, who led the Seahawks to a 441-153 (.742) record, 12 district championships, six regional titles and appearances in the Group AAA state final in 1999 and 2003"

Date: December 18, 2010 12:01AM

Wendell Byrd had more "brothers" than most public schools in the region which helped, but he was defintely a premier coach in the region for a couplde decades and if this thread was from ten years ago he would most certainly have my vote.

For best coach now, I'll just go ahead and say who ever is coaching at TC Williams because they always win. Honestly right now no one stands out to me. The Chantilly coach is longest tenured but Chantilly always has loads of talent and he doesn't have much postseason winning. Langley's young coach Hess seems to get mentioned a lot, he gets a lot out of his players but always has huge teams which have to help in a weak basketball district. So I guess I'd go with Hess at Langley.

Posted by: Big Earl ()
Date: December 18, 2010 08:27AM

Don't kid yourself. Smith at Chantilly is one of the top coaches in the area. And he's not loaded every year, just the last few with Manning and company. His team was in the same district with South Lakes all those years then had Scottie Reynolds to deal with for four more. Chantilly doesn't get as many great athletes (brothers) like others do. People have short memories. Five years ago Chantilly had below average talent yet still managed to make regional tournaments every year. He's a great coach, just not flashy. One example, he's won more district titles than Gary Hall ever did at Herndon and just as many region finals. And he's been to more region Final Fours. No knock on Hall, just sometimes people forget how good of a coach he is.

Date: December 18, 2010 10:09AM

Trust me, from someone that has lived in the Chantilly area for 20 years and coached at the travel level for a lot of those. Chantilly always has good players. To make Chantilly you have to be great at the fundamentals and a real smart player. This is the product of coaching in the youth leagues, a large pool to come from and great competition. I'll tell you kids that don't make the Chantilly team would be starting at ALOT of high schools, so don't say Chantilly isn't talented.

Before Manning they had Justin May. He's done a fine job, but I believe they could have gone further for several years. Then I'm a bit angered after last year, he started stalling up 2 with a far more talented team in the district championship and Oakton came back and won, then Chantilly had a big lead in the state semi-final and he wouldn't call a timeout when the team clearly needed one in the midst of Thomas Dale's run.

Posted by: steve k2 is an Oakton assistant ()
Date: December 20, 2010 06:52AM

steve k2 - aren't you the oakton assistant who blew goats last year as their JV coach. Parents wanted you out but the varsity coached decided to be a half way decent human being for once, and let you stay on as an assistant varsity coach so you wouldn't have to deal with parents. Chantilly is dominant force for a number of reasons, but good coaching can't be left out either. Smith is a good coach with good talent which is why Chantilly is so good. Can't wait to see them play T.C. Williams soon, even if T.C. is having a down year for them.

Honestly, people should look at the coach at Wakefield. He's had some good years and some tough years, but he always gets the most out of his players. After having an almost perfect season a few years back, he lost all his talent and the next year the team didn't have a great record, but you could see he did his best coaching job ever.

Good coaching isn't always about the record. NOw if you have the talent and don't have a good record, then it's a bad reflection on the coach as was the case with steve k2 at Oakton JV last year. Hell, even their varsity had a ton of talent and didn't reach their potential by a long shot.

Date: December 20, 2010 09:11AM

Again I don't know where you jump to that conclusion.

1. Oakton has the same jv coach as last year.
2. I've never said anything about Oakton but think what you must.

Posted by: i know it's you steve k2 ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:53AM

Oakton's JV coach last year was a robust old white man with glasses. This year's coach is a young black guy. I was there at the Madison game last week and I saw a parts of a couple JV games last year. JV coach is not the same. You mentioned Oakton out of no-where in at least one other feed. Don't be ashamed. You are who you are. Doesn't mean you're a bad person. Just not a great coach.

Date: December 20, 2010 10:02AM

We all have our opinions. According to Oakton's website that young black guy coached the last two years, and that big white guy you are describing coached 2 years ago.

Again this wasn't me. But being a varsity assistant is a promotion over being a Freshmen or JV coach, so this guy you mention got promoted, despite whatever the Oakton parents want you to believe. Just look at the Chantilly freshmen coach of the last 5 years who got called up to being a varsity assistant.

Posted by: i still know it's you steve k2 ()
Date: December 20, 2010 10:11AM

It's all good if it's not you. Last year Oakton had all new coaches after they fired McDaniel. Wanted to start fresh I guess after that pathetic bastard tried to run the program into the ground. Those websites are so inaccurate and outdated half the time. You got to go to games to see who the coaches are. I know for a fact, the black guy was not the head coach and the chubby white varsity assistant was the jv head coach last year. I gots family in the program and coach in the same area. It wasn't a promotion either. The guy was already a varsity assistant last year while being the JV head coach. It was a demotion to have the JV taken away from him for sucking and not knowing the talent he had or how to use them. He had no love for brothers.

Date: December 20, 2010 10:14AM

Well generally the freshmen and jv coaches sit on the bench for varsity games, but they're not assistants at practice, very few coaches do 4-5 hours a day of practice with 2 teams.

Now he probably practices with varsity.

Date: December 20, 2010 10:42AM

And don't worry. It's all about the brothers now.

Date: December 20, 2010 11:04AM

Agreed oaktondude. Charlie was successful at every school where he coached and even if some of the players didn't like him personally everyone of them respected him as a coach!

I remember a story about when he was at Robinson, he went into one of his tirades and kicked the ball rack, well his foot got caught in the rack and he couldn't get it out, the whole team nearly died laughing! Eventually he laughed about it too.

oaktondude Wrote:
> I was coached by Charlie Thompson at Oakton and he
> is definatly one of the best ever to coach in
> NOVA. reminded me a lot of Bob Knight. demands the
> best from everyone and gets it. His son Joe isn't
> doing too bad either.

Date: December 20, 2010 11:10AM

Steve K2, that is so true about good coaching not being just about record. Dick Wickline is/was probably one of the best coaches in the region who didn't win any region championships (that I know of anyway). His players were fundamentally sound and he could develop a great game plan for opponents. He's also one of the classiest guys ever to coach in the region.

Seriously though, one of the best coaches was Don McCool. Despite his recruiting violations, he had something most coaches don't have. Not sure what it was, but man his teams were fun to watch, regardless of talent level.

steve k2 is an Oakton assistant Wrote:
> Good coaching isn't always about the record. NOw
> if you have the talent and don't have a good
> record, then it's a bad reflection on the coach as
> was the case with steve k2 at Oakton JV last year.
> Hell, even their varsity had a ton of talent and
> didn't reach their potential by a long shot.

Date: December 20, 2010 12:42PM

steve k2 Wrote:
> We all have our opinions. According to Oakton's
> website that young black guy coached the last two
> years, and that big white guy you are describing
> coached 2 years ago.

They both did coach 2 years ago. The old fat guy (last name Chaplin) was JV head coach, the young black guy was a JV assistant. This year, the black guy (can't remember his name) is the JV head coach, and Chaplin is just a varsity assistant, (definitely NOT a promotion) but actually does very little coaching. It's funny to watch him at games. I think he's more of a stats-taker than anything else.

>
> Again this wasn't me. But being a varsity
> assistant is a promotion over being a Freshmen or
> JV coach, so this guy you mention got promoted,
> despite whatever the Oakton parents want you to
> believe. Just look at the Chantilly freshmen
> coach of the last 5 years who got called up to
> being a varsity assistant.

Posted by: Bball nerd ()
Date: December 20, 2010 10:11PM

Dunston is head JV coach at Oakton this year. Last year he was the assistant JV coach to Chaplin who now is stat taker for Varsity. Last year was first year for both Dunston and Chaplin and rest of staff from top to bottom, including assistants. Brooks, the varsity coach, brought in new guys at every position. No one there has been at Oakton for 2 years. This is the 2nd season for their coaching staff that is still there.

Any further questions can be directed to me.

Posted by: Jimmy Jack ()
Date: December 21, 2010 09:53AM

Greatest of all time is Don McCool - hands down. The guy won something like 80% of all games he coached over a 30 year period or so. To do that in the public school system is unbelievable. Too bad he was run out because of that whole B.S. recruiting scandal that wasn't true.

I heard he assists Metress at Lake Braddock still. Anyone know if that's true?

Date: December 21, 2010 10:01AM

Jimmy Jack Wrote:
> Greatest of all time is Don McCool - hands down.
> The guy won something like 80% of all games he
> coached over a 30 year period or so. To do that
> in the public school system is unbelievable. Too
> bad he was run out because of that whole B.S.
> recruiting scandal that wasn't true.
>
> I heard he assists Metress at Lake Braddock still.
> Anyone know if that's true?

If he won 80% of his games and was run out for a recruiting scandal, and no one else hired him to head coach a program after the incident, that sounds like a cheat to me.

He is also not at Lake Braddock accroding to their website.

Posted by: Jimmy Jack ()
Date: December 21, 2010 12:05PM

He had already coached for 30 years, won every accolade imaginable and was being forced out. I'd say I'd probably stop coaching after that too. I guarantee he could've gotten a coaching job anywhere there was an opening if he wanted. Let's use some common sense here. The guy still won all the time.

Posted by: meme ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:23PM

his name is maurice

Date: December 29, 2010 07:11AM

The recruiting scandal at MVHS was legit, the only school in VSHL to ever be put on probation and banned from post season play.

That being said, McCool was such a good coach that he didn't need to cheat, but he definately did. There was scandal involved when he was at West Springfield (recruiting a player that was supposed to go to Robinson and practicing out of season) back in the early 70s, when they went to the state championship and lost to Peterburg, who had Moses Malone. By the way they drew something like 7 or 8 charges in the game. Many felt it was one of the best coaching jobs ever, just to be able to be competitive.

Now, when MVHS did win the state championship, several of the players could have gone to Ft. Hunt or Groveton. And, he was called on the carpet for practicing and scrimmaging out of season and on Sunday, when he was at Falls Church prior to going to West Springfield.

Final analysis, McCool was a great coach and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, no question, but he was also unscrupulous and a cheat.

Posted by: sbacon ()
Date: March 04, 2011 07:55PM

Okay I played for both Charlie Thompson (as a frosh at WSHS) and Don McCool and . can tell you I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for both me. Besides my parents Don McCool had more positive influence on my life than anybody - not to mention basketball. I have been observing and coaching basketball for over 40 years since my college playing days were over and can tell you that every principle about the game of basketball that the taught in the 70's holds true to this day. I think he is the best coach to ever coach in NOVA

Posted by: sbacon ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:01PM

slubdawg you have no idea what you are telking about. Who is the player from Robinson he recruited to come to WSHS. Did not happen.

Posted by: NoVa Native ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:20PM

Slumdawg is sorta correct. McCool is surely the best coach to have ever coached in this area but he did bend the rules. When this part of the county was redistricted due to Robinson opening in 1971, 2 players ( I think Ed Tiernan and Bob Ferris) were supposed to attend Robinson as Juniors but were allowed to stay at WS due to several loopholes. I would also have done everything I could to keep outstanding players like them. Any coach would.

Posted by: What about this year? ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:46PM

Who should get coach of the year this year in the Northern Region? Who did the most with the least talent?

Date: March 05, 2011 12:33AM

What about this year? Wrote:
> Who should get coach of the year this year in the
> Northern Region? Who did the most with the least
> talent?

The TC Williams coach got it this year already. While I think other did just as good with less talent, you can't argue the selection. TC Williams is going to the state semi's this week.

Posted by: george ()
Date: March 06, 2011 09:19PM

Priester got coach of the entire east region of va, md, dc, de, and nc. the guy is a stud. 93.7 winning percentage the last ten years. oh and he cares about his players

Posted by: ok priester ()
Date: March 06, 2011 10:44PM

You lost to West Springfield. You disrespected several of us on this thread. You recruit.

Who cares about your winning percentage or your award?

Posted by: bad coaching ()
Date: March 07, 2011 05:50AM

Anyone who saw Annandale play down the stretch saw that their coach was simply a waste of space. No adjustments, no real offensive sets, they basically were playing pickup. Somehow leaders like Boyce and Ziegler willed them to states, wonder what they wouldve done with some actual coaching.

Date: March 07, 2011 09:10AM

To put Priester in the same discussion with Don McCool is abusrd. I recall seeing MVHS when he didn't have a huge stable of talent but had a great shooter in Brian Miller (went on and played at Mason) and they were able to win, regardless. Now don't get me wrong the rest of the team wasn't terrible but they weren't potential D I basketball players. I saw them play several games that particular year, can't recall what year though, and they did such a great job with their defense and made sure Miller got good looks, now that was coaching the talent he had. Then another year and I cannot even remember any players'names, but he went to a match up zone, totally different from his typical philosophy, and won the district again.

Anyone who has seen Norhtern VA basketball for a number of years would'nt even think about Priester in the same sentence.

I met several guys who played for McCool at one time or another, and every single one of them said basically the same thing about McCool that sbacon did.

Date: March 07, 2011 09:12AM

NoVa Native, I agree, any coach worth his salt would try and keep his players. I didn't know any of the details, just recalled there was something about it.

I do recall that there was a guy that played on on Lee's state championship team name Tony Ferris, wonder if he was realted to Bob Ferris.

NoVa Native Wrote:
> Slumdawg is sorta correct. McCool is surely the
> best coach to have ever coached in this area but
> he did bend the rules. When this part of the
> county was redistricted due to Robinson opening in
> 1971, 2 players ( I think Ed Tiernan and Bob
> Ferris) were supposed to attend Robinson as
> Juniors but were allowed to stay at WS due to
> several loopholes. I would also have done
> everything I could to keep outstanding players
> like them. Any coach would.

Posted by: atom fan ()
Date: March 07, 2011 09:50AM

bad coaching Wrote:
> Anyone who saw Annandale play down the stretch saw
> that their coach was simply a waste of space. No
> adjustments, no real offensive sets, they
> basically were playing pickup. Somehow leaders
> like Boyce and Ziegler willed them to states,
> wonder what they wouldve done with some actual
> coaching.

What a blatant call out. I was just reading a few posts up that he outcoached the Langley coach in regionals. Just because you lose to a nationally ranked team in a close game, is not reason to blame the coach. He did a fantastic job this year, and to insuate there was no coaching involved is absolutely absurd. I've seen this team play several times this year and they run just about as much as other teams run.

Posted by: Herndonhoops ()
Date: March 07, 2011 10:14AM

Coach Whelan is hands down the best coach in the northern region. He knows how to coach the talent he has and probably takes care of his players the best.

Posted by: Atoms fan as well ()
Date: March 07, 2011 11:11AM

I am not trying to crack on the kids at all, their heart and effort was great, their lack of depth killed them in the end. I stand by what I said about their coaching...I saw about 9 of their games this year, including their last 4 before states. They basically put the ball in Boyce or Ziegler's hands and clear out, with the occasional dump down to Robinson in the post. I was sitting with a couple of local coaches during the TC regional final loss, they were shocked with the lack of adjustments in the 2nd half.

Posted by: Annandale? ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:34PM

Speaking of Annandale, didn't the principal there used to be a basketball coach somewhere?

Posted by: evidencetaken ()
Date: April 06, 2011 09:44AM

If Smith could coach he would have won a state title with the players he had! He holds back his players. contact the players on the team and ask them how they feel about Coach Smith. Thats where you get real answers!
Kethan Savage, ask him why he left!

There is a new kid that is back in the area and he is suppose to register with chantilly high... We all told him dont go there, certain kids dont prosper there. Talk to Kethan Savage first.
Then you got a point guard with great ball handling skills and super fast, who can score and you wont let the kid play his game.(Devin Ballam)
You have a 7 footer that avgs 8 - 10 points...SMH

AGAIN ASK THE KIDS WHAT THEY THINK... YOU PARENTS LOOKING INSIDE DONT HAVE A CLUE

Posted by: The Man ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:34AM

This is total BS. You have no idea what you are talking about. Devin Ballam never got any better the last three years. In fact he got worse. He played hard and was a good defender but his offensive skills and decision making were awful. HE IS NOT A SCORER! He made the same mistakes over and over. And his outside shooting was pathetic. He had one really good game this year -- at Herndon. Wiegand was ok but made really dumb decisions, lowered his shoulder and committed charges all season long. You couldn't put him on the floor late in games because he would make dumb mistakes.

Manning averaged 15-16 points a game in district play.

Savage won a region title at Chantilly. The team really took off in regionals last year when Savage moved to point guard and Ballam played on the wing. They both played great. Seems to me coaching had a lot to do with that because he made the switch. Savage wanted a 5th year and got it. His dad wanted him to mature.

Smith had coached a long time and knows a ton more basketball than you. He's had a lot of great players, several of whom have played Division I.

The fact is, this team's guard play was not going to win them a region title. Look at the guard play of Herndon this year vs. Chantilly and then tell me Chantilly underachieved. Nothing to do with coaching. They just weren't good enough talent-wise.

Posted by: your argument sucks ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:48AM

The Man Wrote:

> The fact is, this team's guard play was not going
> to win them a region title. Look at the guard
> play of Herndon this year vs. Chantilly and then
> tell me Chantilly underachieved. Nothing to do
> with coaching. They just weren't good enough
> talent-wise.

Are you friggin kidding me? That was one of the most talented teams Chantilly ever had and they got eliminated playing with no heart in the first round. Your Herndon argument is dumb, as Chantilly lost all 3 games against them in the final minutes with leads. Look at Chantilly's post players, no one in the region was close to that height or talent. The season was a fail and they easily had the talent to win the northern region. Hell they even had a lead on TC Williams in the 4th quarter without Manning playing. They fizzled out as the year went a long and it was a shame one of the best classes in Chantilly history went out like that.

Posted by: The Man ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:58AM

They weren't that good!!!! They didn't play as hard at Herndon and they didn't play smart. (look at the end of the LB game when they tried a baseball pass off the inbound) That was NOT what the coaches wanted. That was a dumb decision made by a senior guard. That's not coaching. Sooner or later you expect seniors to make better decisions.

Sydnor didn't get better. Huelskamp got worse as the year wore on. No depth at backup point guard. Ballam couldn't hit a jumper to save his life. Danehower played hard but very limited offensively. Wiegand would make 2 dumb plays for every good one.

This was a team that had a lot of flaws and didn't play hard enough. The region title possibility went out the door when Savage left.

Posted by: Hmmmm? ()
Date: April 06, 2011 11:21AM

The Man Wrote:
> They weren't that good!!!! They didn't play as
> hard at Herndon and they didn't play smart. (look
> at the end of the LB game when they tried a
> baseball pass off the inbound) That was NOT what
> the coaches wanted. That was a dumb decision made
> by a senior guard. That's not coaching. Sooner
> or later you expect seniors to make better
> decisions.
>
> Sydnor didn't get better. Huelskamp got worse as
> the year wore on. No depth at backup point guard.
> Ballam couldn't hit a jumper to save his life.
> Danehower played hard but very limited
> offensively. Wiegand would make 2 dumb plays for
> every good one.
>
> This was a team that had a lot of flaws and didn't
> play hard enough. The region title possibility
> went out the door when Savage left.

I've always thought Jim Smith was a good coach but your comments make it sound like coaching was an issue. I can guarantee you that any team coached by Charlie Thompson would not have made dumb mistakes like that near the end of the season.

As far as Sydnor goes, did his father play at Woodson? If so, then his father did the same thing there, he had a lot of individual talent but he didn't really get better. Remember this players are made in the off-season, it's up to them to get better.

Posted by: anyone informed? ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:08PM

There are several head coaching positions in the Northern Region open right now..anyone know anything regarding them (Mt. Vernon, Stuart, Stone Bridge, Fairfax)??

Who are the prime candidates? any info at all would be great, thanks!

Date: May 10, 2011 09:15PM

Fairfax will likely hire from within, from what I heard their jv coach might get the job. It's a very good one, as Fairfax has a lot of young talent and a strong program in place with great seasons at all 3 levels.

Stone Bridge, haven't heard a thing, same with Mr. Vernon. Both are very good jobs.

Stuart, what a mess, Phil Jackson might take the challenge, but he could at most probably get them 3 wins (2 against Falls Church).

Posted by: loudon hoops ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:20PM

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/sports/article/stone_bridge_names_west_boys_basketball_coach851/

Ben West, an assistant from South County got hte Stone Bridge hire. Not too sexy a hire. Don't forget Lee High School is also looking for a varsity basketball coach.

Posted by: Val B. ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:29PM

The Lee candidates should look elsewhere.

Posted by: Fairfan ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:35PM

I know Kosa So (JV Coach) has been at Fairfax for just about a decade now and is the right man for the job.

Also, I know the freshmen coaches are not too far removed from the high school (class of 06/07?? not sure) and have been impressive at that level.

It would be nice to see it go to these deserving guys!

Posted by: anyone informed? ()
Date: May 10, 2011 10:23PM

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Stuart- good luck to whoever gets that job.

Fairfax- interesting..I know some of their best players were sophmores this year. Who are the young coaches you speak of?

Lee- I agree...

Stone Bridge- Don't know much about him, or South County for that matter, but good luck to him!

Mt. Vernon- That's a really good gig. I wouldn't mind a constant flow of athleticism and semi-talent!

Posted by: The man ()
Date: May 10, 2011 11:00PM

PJ Kelly will be getting the Stuart job. Lee is a disaster. MV will pick a POC i think.

Posted by: the truth ()
Date: May 11, 2011 05:14AM

A lot of players do not like Coach So from what I've heard though.

As for the freshmen coach, it's pretty easy to win with the freshmen classes Fairfax gets in a weak district. I'd say Coach Lylozian is way too young if he graduated high school 4 years ago and he has never even assisted on varsity. He's no where near ready to take over a program, but I'm sure he can take Lee or Stuart if he really wants a program as can any freshmen or jv coach in the county.

Also to the above saying PJ Kelly would go else where, he resigned not to coach elsewhere but to get some things straight in his life. Very good guy if you get to know him.

Date: May 11, 2011 09:53AM

PJ resigned to get things straight in his life, but he also wants to coach at a less stressful program. He interviewed for Stuart last week.

Just watch. He will get that job.

Date: May 11, 2011 11:49AM

lol, nothing stressful about Fairfax. No way anyone would ever leave Fairfax for Stuart. Losing every game is not enjoyable for any coach.

Posted by: MonticelloHood ()
Date: May 11, 2011 12:38PM

loudon hoops Wrote:
> http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/sports/artic
> le/stone_bridge_names_west_boys_basketball_coach85
> 1/
>
> Ben West, an assistant from South County got hte
> Stone Bridge hire. Not too sexy a hire. Don't
> forget Lee High School is also looking for a
> varsity basketball coach.

What happened to Mike Harris?

Date: May 11, 2011 01:05PM

Not trying to convince anyone that Stuart is an upgrade over Fairfax. I am just telling you that with everything going on in PJ's life, coaching at Stuart would be a lot simpler and less stressful than Fairfax. He grew up in Falls Church and played and coached at Falls Church. The Stuart job is perfect for him right now. And I think the job is his if he wants it.

Mike Harris was a disaster at Lee. He's a big bully and an embarrassment. Props to the AD for finally doing something about it. They didn't win a game this year (except for a loss that got credited as a win because of forfeit)

Posted by: SEES ()
Date: May 11, 2011 03:40PM

i grew up a few houses down from Mike Harris he ive known him my whole life he wasnt a bully he wouldnt put up with any shit. It was his team and he wouldnt tolerate anyone telling him how to run it. he brought them to the region semis a few years ago and had made it there a few other times. Intimidating yes hes fucking huge but calling him a bully is just adding to the over use of that pussy ass word

Date: May 11, 2011 06:24PM

Ok, how is this word: Embarrassment

Date: May 11, 2011 06:45PM

how is he an embarrassment? there are no basketball players at lee anymore they went to the region semis in 09 with only 5 players and no bench. last year their best and one of only 3 good players was lost due to armed robbery charges, this year there is no talent 3 freshman on varsity when maybe 1 of those kids would of made JV 2 years ago. he was at lee for over 10 years even coached girls lacrosse when they didnt have a coach and they went to the regional tournament for the first time in awhile. he is not an embarrassment while you my friend are an asshole

Date: May 11, 2011 07:38PM

I guess grabbing your crotch to a female ref in a game and getting a year long suspension isn't embarrassing

Date: May 11, 2011 08:01PM

i hadnt heard that before, thats really fucking funny i wish i had been there to see that. bitch prolly deserved it. the gender of the ref should not play a factor though you shouldnt have to worry about how you talk shit to refs because of their race or gender

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.