HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dental
Posted by: Zip ()
Date: August 29, 2007 11:49PM

I just finished my tour and honerably medically discharged. I was looking for a good civilian dentist. I am wondering if anyone knows of any dentist offices that will charge you the cost after insurance , instead of charging you for the whole thing and making YOU wait for an insurance check.??? My tooth is bothering me for some reason to the point where it will randomly hurt my ear. I dont think this could have been due to my deployment. I messed up my knee, dislocated shoulder and double fracture in the right arm. Nothing that wont heal but I figured if I have a serious dental problem , there is no way I could be able to pay the whole amount and wait around for the insurance check. Help me out with some info, I figured locals would be the best to know...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dental
Date: August 30, 2007 01:14AM

Thank you for your service.

I don't really know if it would be normal for the insurance check to go to you, or the dentist. I haven't had dental problems, but with medical problems I don't recall getting any checks from the insurance company; I just paid my share.

I'm not sure about what dentists, but your insurer might have a list of dentists you have to choose from, the ones they will work with. My insurance has an online tool to get dentists close to your ZIP code, so I'd just print the list and start calling if I didn't have anything else to go on.

I've paid for some medical treatments using a "check card", which is like a credit card but it draws from my bank account. It's not like a debit card though; there's no PIN and as far as the merchant is concerned it's just another Visa card. If I can use that, you should be able to pay with a regular credit card. If insurance is going to reimburse you soon, you shouldn't have to rack up any interest.

I'm not sure that you'd even have to paya dentist immediately, or if you might just get a bill in the mail.

Make sure you get it taken care of, you don't want to let things get worse.

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: August 30, 2007 01:34AM

I agree, Thank you for your service!

EoM

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: August 30, 2007 06:54AM

I also thank you for your service.

I recommend Drs. Falbo and Thomas in Centreville. Wonderful people, great work, and they bill exactly the way you describe.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: August 30, 2007 08:11AM

I think that most dental offices will bill insurance first and then send you an invoice for the remaining balance.

I highly recommend Steve Tupman in Springfield (Backlick Road between Edsall and Commerce).

Date: August 30, 2007 08:42AM

THank You Lester and m4ilm4n. I will look both of them up and check them out.

Date: August 30, 2007 08:49AM

Its just if my memory serves me right a while back ago, I was insured with my parents and Ackerman(not sure if I spelled that right) was our dentist. I believe they are located in the University Mall across George Mason. I was going to go back to them but my parents told me that they ask for the whole amount to be paid upfront right after they finish work on you and then you have to wait around for the check from the insurance company for about 3 weeks. At least thats their practice. I never had to deal with dental insurance companies so I am a novice to all this. Whats the descent insurance company thats accepted in most places? I know I need to get this checked out but I dont even know where to start. I tried looking this up on the internet but all I got was results for "savings plan"I dont think thats what I need. All your help is much appreciated Thank You

Date: August 30, 2007 03:45PM

Do you not already have dental insurance? That could be a problem. With my insurance, you have to have it for 6 months before it will pay for fillings, and 18 months for some more serious work.

With medical things, you can get coverage without waiting periods for existing conditions, if you've been coverred in the past; I think you have around 60 days to get a new plan. I think the old plan possibly has to have been a group plan for that to apply, but I assume you were covered by the government and that would be a group plan? Anyway, I don't know how all that works with dental insurance.

In any case, at least get an exam so you know what you're dealing with. If you do end up having to pay for everything yourself, dentists will give you some discounts as a private patient. If there's an urgent problem, I would think they would be willing to make some arrangement to pay it off over time.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 30, 2007 04:02PM

if you are still on the government insurance, i belive its TRICARE or GEHA, I heard from a friend that theres a place opposite ruby tuesday that take government insurance and bills you the leftover portion after they get the first part from the insurance company. Its next to the italian restaurant ive never heard of.

Posted by: eccentricldy ()
Date: August 30, 2007 05:33PM

Thank you for your service and if I'm not too late.... I have a wonderful dentist. Dr. Mark Grimes near the Chantilly post office.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 31, 2007 01:27AM

Zip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I messed up my knee, dislocated
> shoulder and double fracture in the right arm.

were you hit by a hummer or something?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: The Dude ()
Date: August 31, 2007 08:49AM

Mark Grimes is still in the area?

He is not in Greenbriar anymore...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.