HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What does the link "Chat" mean at top of page?
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: August 28, 2007 10:21AM

I was wondering. One time I clicked on it and I got a screen that looked like something from computerland hard to understand stuff. Just wondering.

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What does the link "Chat" mean at top of page?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 28, 2007 10:25AM

It's a live chat board. You read what shows up on the screen. if you want to contribute, there is a "submit" line at the bottom of the screen (type what you want, hit enter to post it). It's basically an IM client run through the website.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: August 28, 2007 04:25PM

Yes,

1. click chat
2. enter nickname (which i think should be made to automatically use your forum name)
3. Login

basically, ignore everything that is on the main screen already...

On the right you see the current users (cary and caryCOVAD are always there it seems)..

on the bottom you got a drop down that says #fairfax (ignore that), and next to it is where you type what you want to say.. press "Say"

its live chat - and its IRC running though a website..

---

i cought cary on there the other day.. we both agreed that people should start using it.. you can have an actual conversation!

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: August 28, 2007 04:53PM

Yeahhhh. The chat feature needs a VERY serious overhaul. People join and leave all day but never leave it open long enough to have an actual conversation.

I was originally hellbent on having an IRC server as the backend in the hope that it would draw some portion of the (massive) IRC community to idle in the channel all day and make small talk with the website visitors. Well, after almost 3 years that hasn't worked out SO...

I'll be transitioning the chat feature to a more friendly AJAX based solution. I've looked at a lot of software out there and this one is my favorite: http://www.bluesparc.com/chat/index.php

Please take a look at the link above and try the chat program. If it's well received I'll make the switch.

Also coming soon:

- A "hot" section to show the top viewed/replied to threads within the last x days. It's way too hard to find some of the best threads on this board.
- Completely revamped search. Probably just a pointer to google. The search here sucks.
- Allow users to create their own forums. I plan to make a section where anyone can apply to create their own private forum for their swim team, church group, gaming club, whatever. The creator of the forum will be the moderator and can decide all sorts of options like whether anonymous users can read/post or if they have to be registered and approved to join the group.
- Totally revamped "Links" section. It could be so much more useful than it is.

A lot of my improvement plans for this site had been sidelined while I transitioned to a new job. Now that I'm comfy in my new job I can start devoting time to improving this site again.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

- Cary aka the admin

Date: August 28, 2007 05:02PM

find some dedicated people to fill the wiki section..

imagine if it was full of (for example) bars/resteraunts with scanned copies of menus or drink specials

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:46PM

Well don't make it too complicated for people like me. What is IRC? Good luck at your new job. They are lucky to have such a smart worker.

Trickie
Oh will we ever be able to type in pink when you get it all fixed up??????

Date: August 28, 2007 06:39PM

There once was a girl from china...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 28, 2007 09:19PM

Cary,
   you cant idle in the chatroom using the web based client because it automatically disconnects you after are idle a while.

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is IRC?

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. basically, it's a bunch of chatrooms. there is a bit more to it than that but that is enough to understand what someone is talking about when they mention IRC.

> Oh will we ever be able to type in pink when you
> get it all fixed up??????

just as soon as i can disable text coloring.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.