HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
High Grass
Posted by: Burke Dude ()
Date: November 02, 2010 07:03AM

Why do they let the grass get so high in the median and on the sidewalks on Burke Lake Road near Lake Braddock High School???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Grass
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: November 02, 2010 07:37AM

Because they like savings the money

Posted by: Blank Reg ()
Date: November 02, 2010 08:59AM

Probably the same answer as to why "they" let the grass grow so high at the Nutley St. exit ramp off of 66 East. It's hard enough trying to do a left shoulder check at a 135 degree angle, but sometimes the grass is so high that it's like trying to spot a speeding lion in the Serengeti. I mean, I know I'm only 5'2" so my field of vision is lower than average, but even if I sat on a Yellow Pages book, the grass would be just too tall sometimes.

Date: November 02, 2010 09:01AM

Burke Dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do they let the grass get so high in the
> median and on the sidewalks on Burke Lake Road
> near Lake Braddock High School???

If people in Braddock are that concerned about it, why don't you get together and mow it yourselves? It shouldn't take more than an hour or two with enough people volunteering.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: November 02, 2010 09:28AM

Gerry Connolly is going to need something to do with the free time coming his way, offer him five bucks to take care of it.

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Posted by: Wha' Happened to "HOV-3"? ()
Date: November 02, 2010 09:42AM

> If people in Braddock are that concerned about it, why don't you get together and
> mow it yourselves? It shouldn't take more than an hour or two with enough people
> volunteering.

I seem to remember awhile back, on the Dulles Toll Road, that someone took it upon themselves to use fertilizer on the median strip.

Selectively use fertilizer.

When the fertilizer "took", the words "NO HOV" were spelled out.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: November 02, 2010 10:35AM

A couple of years ago the BoS had guests from the ADC cutting the grass on the Braddock Road median. Does anyone know why they stopped this? My guess is that they did not have the funds for the sheriff OT, but it seemed like a great program with a relatively low cost.

Date: November 02, 2010 10:41AM

Seeker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple of years ago the BoS had guests from the
> ADC cutting the grass on the Braddock Road median.
> Does anyone know why they stopped this? My guess
> is that they did not have the funds for the
> sheriff OT, but it seemed like a great program
> with a relatively low cost.

WTF are the Boy Scouts in Burke doing these days? Seriously, make those bastards earn those merit badges!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 02, 2010 11:23AM

High grass...That sounds kinda redundant.

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: November 06, 2010 10:27PM

It is Va's way of trying to raise your taxes...if you complain, then, oh, look,
it's time to raise taxes to pay for mowing....

just shut up and put up with it.....or else Va Dept of Transportation will ask for higher taxes "to pay for mowing." winter is coming anyway...

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: November 07, 2010 05:54AM

Depending on the type of grass, slope and condition of the soil, there are several reasons they will let it grow tall. One reason to let it grow is so it will "go to seed" and the grass will do its own over-seeding, saving the taxpayer the expense of purchasing seed and paying for the labor to spread it. Another reason is, for some grasses, the root system will grow better when the grass is left to grow tall. This helps in erosion-prone areas. There are many other reasons, also, but this should give you an idea.

Posted by: T2T ()
Date: November 07, 2010 10:05AM

There's one thing that bothers me probably equally to the high grass or even a little more. When you pull up to a busy intersection with a stop light, you'll often see several hundred cigarette butts by the edge of the curb as you're waiting for the light to change. Why are people so careless about this type of littering? It really craps up an area to see all those discarded butts by the curbs.

Posted by: Don't Pee On Me ()
Date: November 07, 2010 10:13AM

The butt problem s the same as the dog walking problem - people take their dogs for a neighborhood walk, letting them pee on, say, mailbox posts. No big deal, they're just walking that one dog, right?

As is that neighbor.

And that neighbor.

And that neighbor.

And that neighbor.

And that neighbor.

And that neighbor.

And...well...you get the idea.

Dead grass around the mailbox. Dead bushes along the sidewalk.

Just the one dog, no big deal, right?

Posted by: T2T ()
Date: November 07, 2010 10:49AM

I guess I might be protected from dead grass around my mailbox post. Most dog owners walk their dogs on the streets where I live and the pet owners tend to be quite respectful.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.