HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: FCPS Southwestern Boundary Study (Elementary Schools)
Posted by: VA Run can't be touched ()
Date: December 02, 2010 06:10PM

I went to the community boundary study meeting at VA Run. After months of us Union Mill area parents telling other to watch out. The VA Run parents finally got involve when it was clear that their boundary were going to be expaned to include in their words " a trailer park from Rt. 50". All these proposals stink. Including this new D. Clifton folks, keep your lawsuit going so the school board will be force to put real numbers with accurate enrollment out in front of all of us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reader ()
Date: December 02, 2010 07:05PM

http://annandale.patch.com/articles/annandale-committee-looks-for-solutions-to-overcrowding-in-schools

Southwestern Committee members urged the Annandale Committee to remember that the process involves everyone.
"It has to be a big-picture process," said Cassie Eatmon of Virginia Run Elementary School in Centreville. "It can't be about just looking out for your own school. Leave your school at the door."

Posted by: Justataxpayer ()
Date: December 02, 2010 07:46PM

reader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://annandale.patch.com/articles/annandale-comm
> ittee-looks-for-solutions-to-overcrowding-in-schoo
> ls
>
> Southwestern Committee members urged the Annandale
> Committee to remember that the process involves
> everyone.
> "It has to be a big-picture process," said Cassie
> Eatmon of Virginia Run Elementary School in
> Centreville. "It can't be about just looking out
> for your own school. Leave your school at the
> door."

The article just as easily could have cited that quote as being from Stu Gibson, Tessie Wilson, Liz Bradsher or Kathy Smith. Remember folks, taking ownership of your school community is NOT in the best interest of FCPS. They know better than you what is best for your community and your children. Heaven forbid a parent have any clue as to what is in the best interest of the child(ren) they raise.

Posted by: Time to Unite ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:49AM

For all of you following this issue, it is time to send one UNIFIED message to the School Board. We need all of the schools impacted by these changes to say loud and clear....NO!

It is not acceptable to displace students at so many schools when only 5 are overcrowded.

It is not acceptable to displace so many students and not actually solve the problem of overcrowding. Their 5-yr projections have historically been wrong. They will be wrong again...projections always are...and then we will be right back where we started with some schools below capacity and others well above it.

It is not acceptable to move children learning in classrooms today to trailers tomorrow.

It is not acceptable to move students to a school if that school does not have the capacity in place.. CAPACITY BEFORE KIDS!

It is not acceptable to move students from schools with full day kinder to schools with half day kinder.

It is not acceptable to build additions on to schools WITHOUT meeting the Fairfax County Educational Specifications for other spaces. This was the Board's basis for closing Clifton ES. They claimed they couldn't renovate it cost effectively and meet the Ed Specs. If the $17.7 million were adjusted to include the expansion of spaces such as the cafeteria, gym, hallways, common areas, library, etc. than the costs of these additions would be much higher. Why is okay to not meet the Ed Specs at other schools but not at Clifton?

None of this is acceptable. Unite and tell them so. We should all be advocating for construction of a new school along the Rte. 29 corridor where it could really address the problem. This is truly the most cost-effective, long-term solution.

Posted by: Cassie ()
Date: December 16, 2010 04:10PM

Interesting that all those who are so critical don't post under their own names while feeling free to personally attack a fellow citizen who doesn't share their opinion on an issue. If you'd like to criticize private individuals you would be wise to learn their true positions before commenting. Options C and D both leave Virginia Run untouched. Those who know me, know I am not in favor of either Option C or D because of the cost and the short- vs. long-term benefits and challenges. I have commented on the SW Regional issues, because I was on the committee representing my school. I attended the public hearing in June because I feel strongly that the ed specs need to be consistent across the county and that the per child expenditures should be comparable across the county. If you disagree with my position on capital projects in the county, then challenge it on the facts, not on some assumed allegiance to elected officials. I have not asked Kathy Smith or any other SB member for special consideration for Virginia Run (my neighbors may wish I would) because I don't believe any one school should receive special consideration. I think all would agree that it is possible to be acquainted with someone and still hold your own opinions.

Posted by: more cost effective ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:14PM

Time to Unite Wrote:
> For all of you following this issue, it is time to
> send one UNIFIED message to the School Board. We
> need all of the schools impacted by these changes
> to say loud and clear....NO!
>
> It is not acceptable to displace students at so
> many schools when only 5 are overcrowded.
>
> It is not acceptable to displace so many students
> and not actually solve the problem of
> overcrowding. Their 5-yr projections have
> historically been wrong. They will be wrong
> again...projections always are...and then we will
> be right back where we started with some schools
> below capacity and others well above it.
>
> It is not acceptable to move children learning in
> classrooms today to trailers tomorrow.
>
> It is not acceptable to move students to a school
> if that school does not have the capacity in
> place.. CAPACITY BEFORE KIDS!
>
> It is not acceptable to move students from schools
> with full day kinder to schools with half day
> kinder.
>
> It is not acceptable to build additions on to
> schools WITHOUT meeting the Fairfax County
> Educational Specifications for other spaces. This
> was the Board's basis for closing Clifton ES.
> They claimed they couldn't renovate it cost
> effectively and meet the Ed Specs. If the $17.7
> million were adjusted to include the expansion of
> spaces such as the cafeteria, gym, hallways,
> common areas, library, etc. than the costs of
> these additions would be much higher. Why is okay
> to not meet the Ed Specs at other schools but not
> at Clifton?
>
> None of this is acceptable. Unite and tell them
> so. We should all be advocating for construction
> of a new school along the Rte. 29 corridor where
> it could really address the problem. This is
> truly the most cost-effective, long-term solution.

Why is no one calling attention to the elephant in the room? The whole reason these schools are overcrowded in the 1st place is because of the overwhelming influx of illegal immigrants in recent years. And no, this isn't about race. It's a fact. The schools became overcrowded because of a shift in the population from one county to the next. If the illegal immigrants had all been from Iceland, we'd still be having the same problem. Too many people scrambling for too few resources. The fact that the ovewhelming majority of illegal immigrants seem to be from South America is trivial at this point.

Sorry, but the only 'truly most cost-effective, long term solution' would be to impose a law similar to our neighbors in PW County. As long as Fairfax County officials continue to ignore the root of the "problem", it is going to continue. We can build a new school, and in a few years, it will be overcrowded and all of the surrounding schools will be overcrowded as well. All of the schools will have tremendous diversity, and all of them will be failing miserably. Not because of the diversity - kids see beyond color - but because all of these schools will be beyond their capacity and there will simply be no room left in the County to build anymore new schools, so more schools will receive more additions. Before you know it, we have elementary schools larger than some current high schools, and high schools larger than many colleges. Do we really want our kids in elementary schools approaching 1500 kids? Many of the schools in the SW Boundary Study will be at almost 1000 kids after the study. How many kids do you think are going to be at these schools in 5 years when growth in the County continues at the current rate?

Date: December 16, 2010 09:34PM

Just browsed through the feedback from the December 10 "Option D" forms and find it hysterical that so many Sangster families don't want their school overcrowded.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy/swsurveyresults121510.pdf

To those with children at Sangster, you have Bob Larsen to thank for the influx of students. He stated "Sangster could take all of the Clifton students and we would welcome them." He represented your school and pushed the agenda quite hard on closing Clifton and moving the students to Sangster. After all, your students at Sangster participate in "all of the same sports teams" as the students from Clifton. Oh, wait....Sangster goes to Lake Braddock and Clifton went to Robinson. Yeah, those are the same sports teams....sure enough. Get the picture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 09:34PM by Justataxpayer.

Posted by: question for Cassie ()
Date: December 16, 2010 11:19PM

Cassie -- How many times have you spoken before the school board before the time you spoke in June of this year, and what were your reasons each time?

Posted by: Clifton Dad ()
Date: December 16, 2010 11:46PM

I keep hearing the "not up to Specification" argument. It doesn't hold water for me.

Having a large computer room rather than a small computer room, or a digital white board in every room,or a large media center, did it make those schools achieve as highly as Clifton ES did?

If not, then what is the point of your specification?

You use that Spec as if it is the end in and of itself. My kid can't read well but he loves the new computer room...

I do not see the specification argument as meaningful at all. What I do see as meaningful are all the dollars and cents that are getting discussed and re-routed.

I see problems with stuffing 900 kids into a huge school, and raising the teacher to student ratio 20-30% like I have seen in the past 10 years. It mioght be cheaper to operate, but will it be more effective?

Can we teach out kids the three R's without all the gadgets?

No , really, I still believe in books. They work surprisingly well and are not that expensive in comparison to a computer that will be obsolete in 4-5 years.

Why does the County think that cramming all these kids together is a good thing for their learning environment. I don't believe it is. If they have a credible study that shows that it improves achievement I'd love to see it, along with their plan.

Posted by: Spartan parent ()
Date: December 17, 2010 06:51AM

Justataxpayer: Sangster ES is in West Springfield. The the high schools the students attend are determined by where the sutdents live. Live in West Springfield-go to WIMS and WSHS. Live in BurKe or Fairfax Station-go to LBSS.

Date: December 17, 2010 08:03AM

Spartan parent Wrote:
> Justataxpayer: Sangster ES is in West
> Springfield. The the high schools the students
> attend are determined by where the sutdents live.
> Live in West Springfield-go to WIMS and WSHS.
> Live in BurKe or Fairfax Station-go to LBSS.

Thank you Spartan parent. So after all of this shifting Sangster will have 3 options for middle/high school. Robinson, Lake Braddock and WIMS/WSHS. I wasnot aware tht population was already split at Sangster. My point was more to what Mr. Larsen sold to the School Board and members of the ad-hoc SW committee.

Posted by: Someone said an option E is coming ()
Date: December 17, 2010 09:36AM

I have filled out all the forms on the options and someone said on option E form is coming out? What a waste of time and money. If you read the last and new forms filled out most people want Clifton to stay open.

PS And not just Clifton parents. Sangster and Union Mill do not want ANY kids from Clifton to come to their school since they have no room.

Posted by: voting ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:42AM

One reason why our schools are so overcrowded is because that jerk Gerry Connolly welcomed all the illegals to leave Prince William and come to Fairfax. Guess what? They came and now we are paying millions to teach them to speak English.

Posted by: herewegoagain ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:48AM

The majority of Sangster currently goes to LBSS. A very small portion of Sangster goes to WIMS and WSHS.

Regardless of where the kids at Sangster go to MS and HS now, as soon as SOCO MS is done, they'll be sent to SOCO.

How else are they going to fill that school?!?!!? It's currently being built for 300 kids, even though the surrounding schools have more than enough capacity to relieve the overcrowding at SOCO.

So, build a new school (that we don't even need!) to the tune of $50 million for 300 kids, but don't you dare suggest $5-7 million to maintain CES for 370 kids. Yeah, that makes sense!

Heaven help us until Nov. 2011 when we can vote these idiots off the SB.

Posted by: Where's the outrage? ()
Date: December 17, 2010 11:32AM

herewegoagain Wrote:
> The majority of Sangster currently goes to LBSS.
> A very small portion of Sangster goes to WIMS and
> WSHS.
>
> Regardless of where the kids at Sangster go to MS
> and HS now, as soon as SOCO MS is done, they'll be
> sent to SOCO.
>
> How else are they going to fill that school?!?!!?
> It's currently being built for 300 kids, even
> though the surrounding schools have more than
> enough capacity to relieve the overcrowding at
> SOCO.
>
> So, build a new school (that we don't even need!)
> to the tune of $50 million for 300 kids, but don't
> you dare suggest $5-7 million to maintain CES for
> 370 kids. Yeah, that makes sense!
>
> Heaven help us until Nov. 2011 when we can vote
> these idiots off the SB.

In agreement with the above.

Where is the outrage over this new South County Middle School--that isn't needed--while existing schools are falling apart? Clifton Elementary has become the sacrifice of a vengeful school board, as if to say "Look how powerful we are." If the school board is truly interested in conserving resources and IMPROVING education, they would allow Clifton Elementary to remain open for another year or two and NOT build a SoCo Middle School until they see how many BRAC families with student they actually get. Mount Vernon and Hayfield are under capacity, from what I have read.

Posted by: cassie is a hypocrite ()
Date: December 17, 2010 05:56PM

Cassie Eatmon, I had a legitimate question for you that you haven't answered.
How many times have you spoken before the school board (before the time you spoke in June of this year), and what were your reasons each time?

You stated that you "feel strongly that the ed specs need to be consistent across the county and that the per child expenditures should be comparable across the county." So, how many times have you fought for this from the School Board?

What, you mean this is the first time? Where have your concerns been before now? Or, did you just enjoy the power that Bradsher promised you if you would speak in from of the board, in exchange for a seat on FPAC? Where you one of the Va Run parents who wrote on the questionaire at the bounday meetings to make sure that no trailer park kids come to Va Run? Why aren't you speaking up for them, so that they can attend your school?

Posted by: Cassie Eatmon is a hypocrite ()
Date: December 17, 2010 06:48PM

From Page 164 Online Community Dialouge Feedback Forms on FCPS website, a Va Run parent/resident wrote the following comment. And you think Clifton Elem parents are elitist????
BTW, Cassie Eatmon is the PTA President, the one who "stands up" for all students in Ffx County...HAHAHA

"As a Virginia Run resident I was very concerned to see option B, where it is proposed to send children from Polar
Tree (a low cost housing community and low scoring school system) to Virginia Run ES. Why would the School
Board propose changes that would detriment the quality of education at Virginia Run ES in such a manner?
Shouldn't Fairfax County residents who pay proportionally higher property taxes have a school system accordingly?"

Page 164
http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy/communitydialoguefeedbackforms.pdf

Posted by: Cassie is PTA pres? ()
Date: December 17, 2010 08:49PM

Cassie Eatmon is a hypocrite Wrote:
> From Page 164 Online Community Dialouge Feedback
> Forms on FCPS website, a Va Run parent/resident
> wrote the following comment. And you think
> Clifton Elem parents are elitist????
> BTW, Cassie Eatmon is the PTA President, the one
> who "stands up" for all students in Ffx
> County...HAHAHA
>
> "As a Virginia Run resident I was very concerned
> to see option B, where it is proposed to send
> children from Polar
> Tree (a low cost housing community and low scoring
> school system) to Virginia Run ES. Why would the
> School
> Board propose changes that would detriment the
> quality of education at Virginia Run ES in such a
> manner?
> Shouldn't Fairfax County residents who pay
> proportionally higher property taxes have a school
> system accordingly?"
>
> Page 164
> http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy
> /communitydialoguefeedbackforms.pdf

What a repugnant comment. This Cassie Eatmon is the PTA president?

Date: December 17, 2010 10:37PM

Yes, Cassie is the PTA president.

What's more disturbing is that in June, FCPS STAFF said:

"the staff recommendation is clear but also states that we believe the only other ‘viable’ option (other than closing and building a new school) is to renovate Clifton and build several school additions to address classroom capacity deficits - so, renovating is viable … (the email is below)

So, a new school is out of the question according to the SB now, and yet the only other viable option was to renovae Clifton and build several school additions. What happened? Now we're just stuck with several additions and overcrowding at EVERY school! And, oh yeah, while you're waiting for those additions to be built, your kids are going to be stuck in trailers. Nice! Can't wait for that!

Love Liz's spin on Clifton ES, too. Comparing renovations at Clifton to man made islands in the Aegean Sea and ski slopes in Thailand. Don't forget about that contaminated water and the ever ominous CLIFF!! Heavens to betsy, how many children have fallen off that cliff in the past 100 years?!?!?!?!

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. This nonsense about the difficult topography is ridiculous. It's a hill for goodness sake! There didn't seem to be a problem building on it originally, or doing an addition in the '80's. So, please, someone explain the "difficulties" now? After all, if FCPS is capable of properly containing natural occuring asbestos, then surely they can handle a hill!

Just one more example of the ridiculous excuses used to close a perfectly fine building in order to further Liz Bradsher's personal agenda. (though Liz, I gotta say, I think that back-fired. whoops!)

From: Bradsher, Elizabeth (School Board Member) [ETBradsher@fcps.edu]
To: James, Denise
CC:
BCC:
Sent: 6/4/2010 10:19:27 AM
Subject: RE: June 14 work session

Attachments:

Anything is viable and anything can be done, they have built a series of luxury islands in the Agean Sea (?)---middle east somewhere, they even have an indoor ski slope—buildings in Thailand can reach the clouds. Here we just have contaminated water and a cliff to deal with—minor concerns. Then again we have limited CIP funds and every dollar counts.

The issue is fiscal responsibility along with education --- oh an of course soothing baths for skin ailments, wine to decrease the stress and a garden to weed to the let the mind wander!

Elizabeth T. Bradsher

Fairfax County School Board

Springfield District

Phone: (571) 296-1875

Debora L. Cain, Executive Administrative Assistant

Phone: (571) 423-1070

Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 10:05 AM
To: Bradsher, Elizabeth (School Board Member)
Subject: RE: June 14 work session

Do that – I have hives enough for both of us today! The agenda item with staff recommendations have been posted – along with a power point presentation – the staff recommendation is clear but also states that we believe the only other ‘viable’ option (other than closing and building a new school) is to renovate Clifton and build several school additions to address classroom capacity deficits - so, renovating is viable …

Denise

Date: December 20, 2010 11:12AM

The amount of misinformation being bandied about here is almost comical if not so hateful. For the record. I am the PTA President at VRES.

The comment attributed to me on the community feedback, is NOT mine. I don't live in VA Run -- more misinformation. I would be thrilled to have the Dulles Meadows community come to VRES. I have been sickened by the comments made by VRES parents during this boundary study and have spoken out about it in PTA meetings.

Yes, this was my first activity with a school board issue. I'm thinking everyone has had a first time to get involved, yes? I was asked by my principal to participate in the SW Planning Study, so I did. After spending 6 months looking closely at the issues regarding overcrowding in the region and the Clifton renovation issues, I developed my own opinions about how I thought the SB should act. So I spoke out. I wasn't promised anything for it. I'm not in Bradsher's district. While she and I spoke a couple of times about doing business, we have not discussed it in months and I'm not pursuing it now.

It is laughable that you think a position on the FPAC is a "power position." There are 13 of us and we have no decision-making authority, so I can't imagine to what "power" you're referring.

You'll have to forgive me for not responding to you sooner. I don't check these blogs every day and don't care to read all the misguided attacks. Please verify your information before accusing me of making "repugnant comments" while making your own vicious attacks.

Cassie is PTA pres? Wrote:
> Cassie Eatmon is a hypocrite Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > From Page 164 Online Community Dialouge
> Feedback
> > Forms on FCPS website, a Va Run parent/resident
> > wrote the following comment. And you think
> > Clifton Elem parents are elitist????
> > BTW, Cassie Eatmon is the PTA President, the
> one
> > who "stands up" for all students in Ffx
> > County...HAHAHA
> >
> > "As a Virginia Run resident I was very
> concerned
> > to see option B, where it is proposed to send
> > children from Polar
> > Tree (a low cost housing community and low
> scoring
> > school system) to Virginia Run ES. Why would
> the
> > School
> > Board propose changes that would detriment the
> > quality of education at Virginia Run ES in such
> a
> > manner?
> > Shouldn't Fairfax County residents who pay
> > proportionally higher property taxes have a
> school
> > system accordingly?"
> >
> > Page 164
> >
> http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy
>
> > /communitydialoguefeedbackforms.pdf
>
>
> What a repugnant comment. This Cassie Eatmon is
> the PTA president?

Posted by: To Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 11:38AM

Is the email correct about what was said between you and Bradsher? Or is that another lie? We cannot trust anyone from the SB to our local PTA. Tell us how you really feel about closing Clifton once and for all.

Date: December 20, 2010 02:01PM

Responding to "To Cassie"

Not sure to which email you're referring. I don't see it here. I have had several emails with her as the representative to the SWRPS. I think my position on Clifton was made clear in my comments to the SB. I don't believe it is a good use of resources to make the necessary renovations to this particular school with so few children. Clifton is not the only one I could make this argument about -- it's just the one that was being looked at as part of the study. I also don't feel that changing schools is detrimental to children. With the exception of some special populations, I think it's harder on the parents than the kids. I will also repeat that I don't think any one school should get special consideration. In a county the size of Fairfax, with 175,000+ students and @200 buildings to maintain, you have to take single interests and emotions out of the equation. It's a public system and VRES doesn't deserve any more or less consideration than CES or schools in the eastern end of the county.

I'm a parent volunteer who finds herself being attacked for having opinions that differ from those who want to keep Clifton open. I respect your desire to keep your school. Change is not easy and you don't think the SB acted properly. What I don't understand is why those of us who volunteered to serve on the study committee are maligned as we are for disagreeing. Does it make the attackers feel better to call me a hater (and other names that are worse)? What did I gain from Clifton closing? Do my kids get a "better" school out of it? No. I spoke my opinion because I felt it was right. Crime? I'm not picketing Clifton. I'm not filing motions against the lawsuit. My committee work is done, I spoke my opinion and now I am a spectator, like the rest of us. Do I call the CES supporters idiots and haters? No. I can disagree with you without hating you.

I applied to serve on the FPAC because I found the process interesting. I am hardly an activist I just like being involved. I grew up in this county, have kids in the schools, I'm the PTA president at my kids' school, and substitute teach occasionally for the schools (not a contract employee, just subbing). I was selected for the FPAC by my representative, Kathy Smith, not Liz Bradsher. Liz did express interest in hosting a party with me last summer, but it has not happened with her or her friends. Not a big deal, just an idea that was put out there. It certainly wasn't the reason for my speaking out about Clifton. To my recollection that didn't even come up until late July/August.

I hope I've answered your questions. I also hope that some of this vitriol can be channeled in a more productive direction. Attacking the volunteers who disagree with you isn't furthering your cause. I wish you well.

Posted by: to Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 02:41PM

Thank you for taking the time to write back. I also want what is best for ALL the students. I think closing Clifton is wrong since it will NOT solve the overcrowding issue.

I hope the SB will take into account how many parents feel. The Sangster, Fairview, and Union Mill parents also express concern with closing Clifton.

Posted by: that proves it ()
Date: December 20, 2010 02:42PM

Well if these committees are filled with idiots like Cassie then it is no wonder we are in the pickle we are in.

I guess Cassie thought the "process" was fair and ethical....haha..what a joke.

The water "problem" was a lie.

The renovation number for Clifton was a lie.

The birth data/enrollment decline projections are lies.

The statement that Liz made in her editorial in October saying no renovation dollars would be needed is a lie.

The claim that closing Clifton would save money is a lie.

The claim that 400 stduents could easily be absorbed by neighboring schools is a lie.

Lies, lies, lies.

You are oh so honorable Cassie for serving on this committee. What a superb job you guys did.

Bravo!

Posted by: Responding to Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 03:08PM

to Cassie Wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to write back. I
> also want what is best for ALL the students. I
> think closing Clifton is wrong since it will NOT
> solve the overcrowding issue.
>
> I hope the SB will take into account how many
> parents feel. The Sangster, Fairview, and Union
> Mill parents also express concern with closing
> Clifton.

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I think some of the rational arguments you may have are being drowned out by the hateful "mob-like" voices. No one responds the way you want them to when they are being attacked.

Posted by: Another one for Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 03:30PM

Hi Cassie:

For what it's worth, I think your responses on here do at least help some to understand where you are coming from.

I appreciate and respect that you formed your own opinions about what should be done with CES, and I believe that your heart in is the right place. I am sorry that you've been verbally attacked; it serves no purpose and doesn't help matters in the least. People are venting, though that anger may be directed in the wrong place.

I would ask however, that you keep an open mind, and at least consider that the process was flawed, and the "facts" purported by the FCPS School Board were often not correct, never consistent, and often biased to support the closure of Clifton Elementary.

The water turned out to be fine, the enrollment has not started to decline as predicted for this year and in fact has increased, and closing CES is not going to save any money. I know you believed all of those reasons to be true from what you were told by the School Board, but surely now that you've seen that they are not true, you can at least understand the anger most Clifton parents and residents feel about the decision to close this school.

You've alluded that Clifton wanted special treatment in keeping their school open, but why do you consider it special treatment? The parents were/are willing to forgoe any renovations until they are necessary. The building is not in disrepair as so many seem to think, nor is it sitting on a cliff. It's a hill, which my children and I have walked up many times. At one time, there was even a hand rail there for the children to use that walked to school. Unfortunately, rush hour traffic through the Town prevents many of the Town children from walking to school now. But the hill is hardly what most would consider a cliff as Ms. Bradsher has called it many times. So why is it special treatment to want to maintain an excellent school and NOT spend any money on it until necessary? Because it doesn't meed Ed Specs? How many schools in the County meet Ed. Specs. now? Is CES the only one that doesn't? If not, then why are those schools allowed to continue educating children? Because the population is higher? There are many schools in the County which are smaller, and more expensive to operate than CES. Are those school receiving special treatment?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm truly not. There has been more than enough bickering amoungst the posters on here. And maybe I'm wasting my time even writing this, but you seem to be a reasonable person. So I ask you to please look at all of the information that has come to light since July 8th, and honestly ask yourself if you would still agree that closing CES was fair and right not only Clifton parents and residents, but for the County as a whole. Closing the school is not solving anything, and creating unecessary overcrowding at neighboring schools. Is closing CES really the BEST option to solving the overcrowding and saving money for taxpayers? If you can honestly answer yes to that, I would love to see some honest, consistent data that proves it is the BEST answer.

Posted by: Quoted ()
Date: December 20, 2010 03:42PM

Quoted directly from an email written by one Cassie Eatmon:

"Shouldn't Fairfax County residents who pay proportionally higher taxes have a school system accordingly?"

This perspective goes against what the Fairfax County School Board claims motivates their decisions. Although we all have seen that lies and politics are about all they really employ when going about their business affairs. Oh...and the deodorant and booze.

So people who pay higher taxes get more services than those who pay less? How about the illegal immigrants? Who is paying for their truckload of services?

Posted by: Misquoted ()
Date: December 20, 2010 03:49PM

This is so tiring. That quote was not from me, Cassie. It was attributed to me, but it was a comment on the FCPS site from a "Virginia Run Parent/Resident." I haven't posted on those sites at all and I am not a VR resident. Can't say it any clearer than that. You're not quoting Cassie Eatmon, you're quoting an anonymous person on the FCPS feedback site.

Quoted Wrote:
> Quoted directly from an email written by one
> Cassie Eatmon:
>
> "Shouldn't Fairfax County residents who pay
> proportionally higher taxes have a school system
> accordingly?"
>
> This perspective goes against what the Fairfax
> County School Board claims motivates their
> decisions. Although we all have seen that lies
> and politics are about all they really employ when
> going about their business affairs. Oh...and the
> deodorant and booze.
>
> So people who pay higher taxes get more services
> than those who pay less? How about the illegal
> immigrants? Who is paying for their truckload of
> services?

Posted by: Responding to Another One for Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 04:10PM

Thank you for respecting that my opinion is different, but I am not an enemy.

Some items regarding the water quality issue have come out that have made me re-look at that particular issue, but overall I'm still leaning toward the need to close Clifton. I am not closed-minded about the topic. I know that this is not making the overcrowding situation any easier to solve, but the cost to renovate a school for so few students is still a concern. There is also anecdotal information amount numbers, etc., but I'm not sure of its validity. Too many people present this "factual data" that they can't back up any more than they think FCPS can. I can honestly tell you that most of us on the committee tried every possible scenario to see keeping Clifton as practical. I had so many conversations that started with "How can we bring the costs in line with other recent renovation costs?" I know the community thinks we had decided before we started -- that's just not true. We tried hard to see all the possibilities and we challenged every piece of information that came from FCPS staff.

Consolidating resources is, in general, more efficient. I am not in favor of the options presented that have multiple additions for just that reason. We still have space at some schools that will not be used for trying to move the least children. It's not pretty any way you look at it.

I was not stating that CES families expected special treatment. (I know many have.) I was responding to the charge that I had received special consideration for my school in this process and that's why we are not being impacted as much as other schools. I think just looking at a map would explain why my school is not effected much. I haven't requested, nor do I think any school should request special consideration. It was not a comment about CES. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.

Thank you again for allowing this civil discussion. I appreciate a thoughtful back and forth and do hope that it all turns out well in the end.

Posted by: cassie eatmon is a hypocrite ()
Date: December 20, 2010 04:46PM

I wrote the email about the comment from a VA Run resident. Nowhere in my post does it say that Cassie Eatmon was the one who said it, it was an anonymous comment made at the Va Run Boundary Study public meeting, obviously from a Va Run parent. I said that you are the PTA President a VA Run. My title said you are a hypocrite, not a bigot.

You don't find it coincidental that the only voice against keeping Clifton open at the Public Hearing, is selected to FPAC, out of all of the SW boundary participants????

FPAC will be working with SB and staff about Facilities Planning.

I do give you credit for posting your opinion publically. But then again, the SB won't come down hard on you like it might on us. And before you think I am paranoid, one Clifton parent was followed very closely by a FCPS truck all the way from Gatehouse her neighborhood, after she picked up FOIA emails from Gatehouse. Despicable.

Posted by: response to Cassie ()
Date: December 20, 2010 05:02PM

Responding to Another One for Cassie Wrote:
> Thank you for respecting that my opinion is
> different, but I am not an enemy.
>
> Some items regarding the water quality issue have
> come out that have made me re-look at that
> particular issue, but overall I'm still leaning
> toward the need to close Clifton. I am not
> closed-minded about the topic. I know that this
> is not making the overcrowding situation any
> easier to solve, but the cost to renovate a school
> for so few students is still a concern. There is
> also anecdotal information amount numbers, etc.,
> but I'm not sure of its validity. Too many people
> present this "factual data" that they can't back
> up any more than they think FCPS can. I can
> honestly tell you that most of us on the committee
> tried every possible scenario to see keeping
> Clifton as practical. I had so many conversations
> that started with "How can we bring the costs in
> line with other recent renovation costs?" I know
> the community thinks we had decided before we
> started -- that's just not true. We tried hard to
> see all the possibilities and we challenged every
> piece of information that came from FCPS staff.
>
> Consolidating resources is, in general, more
> efficient. I am not in favor of the options
> presented that have multiple additions for just
> that reason. We still have space at some schools
> that will not be used for trying to move the least
> children. It's not pretty any way you look at
> it.
>
> I was not stating that CES families expected
> special treatment. (I know many have.) I was
> responding to the charge that I had received
> special consideration for my school in this
> process and that's why we are not being impacted
> as much as other schools. I think just looking at
> a map would explain why my school is not effected
> much. I haven't requested, nor do I think any
> school should request special consideration. It
> was not a comment about CES. I'm sorry that I
> wasn't clear.
>
> Thank you again for allowing this civil
> discussion. I appreciate a thoughtful back and
> forth and do hope that it all turns out well in
> the end.

Thank you for the response.

A couple of things to consider though. You state that "Too many people present this "factual data" that they can't back up any more than they think FCPS can."
But, the "factual data" used by the Clifton residents to support keeping the school open came directly from FCPS documents and information. They didn't make it up. They were very meticulous in studying this issue, and I would argue that since they have much more at stake here, they probably spent much more time studying this than any other member of the SWRPS. I know for a fact that many spent hours and hours working to the wee hours of the morning for MONTHS looking at the "facts", and unfortunately, the more the "facts" were examined, the more flawed they were found to be.

If FCPS can't back up their data, and they can't - then why is the data presented by Clifton any less "factual". Forgive me if I have a hard time trusting FCPS to present factual data that isn't skewed to suit their purposes. They intentionally omitted the portions of 22030 and 22039 from the enrollment projections to support a declining enrollment at CES. That is skewing the data to suit their purpose. What would those enrollment projections look like if the entire attendance area of CES were included? We'll never know.

If FCPS's data is questionnable at best, can you at least concede that the decision to close this school was made prematurely? Further can you at least admit that in the best interests of the students, parents and taxpayers, a Boundary Study should have been completed prior to making a decision to shutter this school. An accurate enrollment projection, using the entire attendance area should have been conducted to determine IF the enrollment is truthfully declining.

I do understand the cost per student issue, and agree that if the cost per student far exceeds every other school in the County, then yes, it probably should be closed. But if we're looking at this objectively, on a "county as a whole" scale, the cost per student to renovate CES is comparable to many other schools in the County, and in fact, much less than some. Of course, you have to use accurate enrollment figures, which FCPS did not do.

We could go around and around for hours on end. I do realize you're not the enemy, and think that basically we all want the same thing. What is best for the children with the least amount of financial stress on a system that is already overburdened. I've also tried to keep an open mind on this subject, and I've looked at all of the data from FCPS and from Clifton. The true facts simply don't support closing CES.

Posted by: Will Liz Bradsher respond? ()
Date: December 20, 2010 08:05PM

At least Cassie had the nerve post a reply. (if it was her) How about Liz?

Posted by: **to post ()
Date: December 20, 2010 08:06PM

Sorry

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: December 20, 2010 08:50PM

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy/swsurveyresults121510.pdf

However, take it with a grain of salt. My feedback comments were edited.

Posted by: Marty ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:27PM

Tistadt and team, asked a basic question....what number of enrollment would help to justify closing Clifton.....hmmmmmmm! That is the number 298.

Then they picked a kindergarden class that had a low enrollment that year. Now what can we do? Why not project that number for the next several years....

Oh my guess it is 298.

Now we can really put the icing on the cake....we can leave out 2 zip codes that feed into Clifton because we plan on closing Clifton, therefore, the students from the two zip codes will be redirected to other schools.

Then they will completely ignore that Clifton now has close to 370 students (maybe 368 or 369). Why should they bother.....Clifton is closed.

Then Tistadt said that low projection enrollment was not a major factor....along with the well water that was proven to be ok.

Once a school has a bullseye on its roof top....the end is near.

Posted by: sick of fcps's crap ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:41PM

reader Wrote:
> "It has to be a big-picture process," said Cassie
> Eatmon of Virginia Run Elementary School in
> Centreville. "It can't be about just looking out
> for your own school. Leave your school at the
> door."

what a crock of shit - this woman has gotten her school excluded from the boundary study now with no changes to virginia run.

she and the school board are total screwing everyone else with their corruptedness.

our kids pay and she gets a hall pass for the richie richs in va run?
they are all shoveling crap on us. i am sick of fcps and their rigged system.

Posted by: Curious?? ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:01PM

The Clifton community has done a great job refuting all the reasons the School Board has given to justify closing Clifton Elementary School. Do they legally have to give a reason why or do they have the right to just close a school at their whim?

Posted by: yup ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:31PM

sick of fcps's crap Wrote:
> reader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "It has to be a big-picture process," said
> Cassie
> > Eatmon of Virginia Run Elementary School in
> > Centreville. "It can't be about just looking
> out
> > for your own school. Leave your school at the
> > door."
>
>
> what a crock of shit - this woman has gotten her
> school excluded from the boundary study now with
> no changes to virginia run.
>
> she and the school board are total screwing
> everyone else with their corruptedness.
>
> our kids pay and she gets a hall pass for the
> richie richs in va run?
> they are all shoveling crap on us. i am sick of
> fcps and their rigged system.

That about sums it up.

Posted by: When is option E coming out? ()
Date: December 21, 2010 05:14PM

I was sent a notice that FCPS has an option E coming out. When are we going to see the new option? If they are to close Clifton this year the SB needs to come up with a complete plan soon.

I have a feeling they have no plan and are just making shit up as they go along. This benefits no one. Thanks Jack Dale! You are a fuck up.

Posted by: Set Record Straight ()
Date: December 22, 2010 12:52PM

To Cassie who wrote......

You say: Not sure to which email you're referring. I don't see it here. I have had several emails with her as the representative to the SWRPS. I think my position on Clifton was made clear in my comments to the SB. I don't believe it is a good use of resources to make the necessary renovations to this particular school with so few children. Clifton is not the only one I could make this argument about -- it's just the one that was being looked at as part of the study.

Response: If you had examined the data of other schools, CES does not have the lowest enrollment where renovations have occurred. Your reason for not looking at other schools with low enrollment is very weak. You can't have it both ways...while you were looking at the 175,000 students and 200 buildings, it is evident that you carefully picked the data set that supported your desire to close CES.

You say: I also don't feel that changing schools is detrimental to children. With the exception of some special populations, I think it's harder on the parents than the kids. I will also repeat that I don't think any one school should get special consideration. In a county the size of Fairfax, with 175,000+ students and @200 buildings to maintain, you have to take single interests and emotions out of the equation. It's a public system and VRES doesn't deserve any more or less consideration than CES or schools in the eastern end of the county.

Response: CES was not getting special consideration. The playing field was titled by Bradsher where she was working with the WSHS group in order to remove CES from the renovation queue. The playing field was tilted by facilities staff under the leadership of Tistadt. Unfortunately, the playing field was titled by some Ad Hoc Committee members who were working in line with Bradsher to close CES.

You say: I'm a parent volunteer who finds herself being attacked for having opinions that differ from those who want to keep Clifton open. I respect your desire to keep your school. Change is not easy and you don't think the SB acted properly. What I don't understand is why those of us who volunteered to serve on the study committee are maligned as we are for disagreeing. Does it make the attackers feel better to call me a hater (and other names that are worse)? What did I gain from Clifton closing? Do my kids get a "better" school out of it? No. I spoke my opinion because I felt it was right. Crime? I'm not picketing Clifton. I'm not filing motions against the lawsuit.

Response: You and several of the members are maligned because you and several of the Ad Hoc committee members were operating behind the scenes to close CES.

You say: My committee work is done, I spoke my opinion and now I am a spectator, like the rest of us. Do I call the CES supporters idiots and haters? No. I can disagree with you without hating you. I applied to serve on the FPAC because I found the process interesting. I am hardly an activist I just like being involved. I grew up in this county, have kids in the schools, I'm the PTA president at my kids' school, and substitute teach occasionally for the schools (not a contract employee, just subbing). I was selected for the FPAC by my representative, Kathy Smith, not Liz Bradsher. Liz did express interest in hosting a party with me last summer, but it has not happened with her or her friends. Not a big deal, just an idea that was put out there. It certainly wasn't the reason for my speaking out about Clifton. To my recollection that didn't even come up until late July/August.

Response: If you are only a spectator, why did you agree to represent the Ad Hoc Committee at the Annandale planning committee meeting? Of all the Ad Hoc Committee members, why were you chosen…the one who supported closing CES? Could it be that you are in step with Bradsher and Smith? Why did you show up at the boundary meetings as a resource person? Why did you accept the appointment to FPAC? In the public eye, you are not a spectator.

You say: I hope I've answered your questions. I also hope that some of this vitriol can be channeled in a more productive direction. Attacking the volunteers who disagree with you isn't furthering your cause. I wish you well.

Response: In the public’s eye, you are a long way from answering the public’s questions. But then you are not alone…..Bradsher is also a long way from answering the public’s questions.

Posted by: hwga ()
Date: December 22, 2010 08:22PM

From the email below, it appears that even the Chairman of the School Board knew long before July 8th that they intended to vote to close the school. There is no doubt in my mind that the information was skewed to close this school. How is the information being skewed this time with the Boundary Study? The projected enrollments are all over the place, again!

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:29 PM
To: Smith, Kathy L (School Board Member)
Subject: Re: LRR Community Meeting

Kathy,
I will go, not to worry. Found out some more info from Dean which will assist and pacify the issue for LRR.

If we can dispel the spin Clifton has started and a certain Sup we will be better served.

Got 7 now. Just need to hold em.
Liz

Date: December 23, 2010 12:38AM

It is a disgrace, unethical, lack of professionalism, etc.....the way Bradsher conducted the process. Her buddies Smith, Gibson, Wilson, Center, Strauss, and at the final vote, Raney, Storck, and Moon should be ashamed. No one is willing to call out Bradsher's behavior.

Bradsher was singing a different song with the Clifton folks.....work with me....I will take care of you. Well she did. She will also take care of some of the neighborhoods who think they have dodged the boundary change bullet. We get it that she has promised to take care of Little Rocky Run and Cassie's neighborhood.

This "community input process" stinks and the odor reaches back to Tistadt and Dale.

In the budget process, this same group will be threatening to eliminate those favorite programs which will bring out parents with pitch forks and swords. They will probably ask the general assembly for more authority to bring in more of your dollars....watch out!

Posted by: payback at the voting booth ()
Date: December 23, 2010 10:17AM

WAKE UP FAIRFAX COUNTY!!!!!!

Two ways to even the score:

1. Vote new SB members in on November 2011

2. Vote HELL NO! on the bond referendum

Why should someone who lives in Clifton who pays taxes and approved the last bond referendum that stated money would go to renovate Clifton Elem, give FCPS another penny to screw around with?

You are nuts if you vote yes.

If you want to get their attention and force them to clean up their act, just take their checkbook away.

That will get their attention real fast. Watch them play nice when they have no money to spend.

Date: December 23, 2010 11:49AM

Voters supported planning money for Clifton in 2005 and 2007. I guess Bradsher, Tistadt, Dale and some members were plotting to close CES or CES would have been on the 2009 bond list. Action had to be taken because CES was to appear on the 2011 bond list....money for renvoation. Therefore, kick CES to the curb for 2011, and magically (with a lot of plotting against CES), WSHS appears for renovation......

Every opportunity encourage voters not to vote for the bond....for many reasons, including, I would suspect they will raise up the second administration issue again.....

Posted by: F'd up ()
Date: December 23, 2010 03:40PM

If a school is closed, any renovation money that was slated for it (passed on a bond) can then be used for other projects without another vote (apparently)? The bond referendums do include the specific details on what the money (and exact numbers on the money) is to be used for---so isn't this sort of a fraudulent use of the money? If voters thought it would be used for CES when they voted on the bond and now it isn't, that doesn't sound quite right. The SB can play with our money?

I think that lots of "creative money managing" is going on and Dale should be held accountable. They have a "Department of Professional Learning and Accountability"---but apparently that is only there to make sure the teachers toe the line. The SB is supposed to watch Dr. Dale and we are supposed to watch the SB----but how can this work if things are constantly hidden and manipulated. Can you say deception? They all need to go and we need to watch the people there VERY carefully. Where is the press? This is no democracy.

Date: December 23, 2010 05:22PM

When a voter selects the yes/no button,the question he/she is voting on relates to saying yes/no to Fairfax County Board of Supervisors advertising the sale of bonds for x amount of money. (I believe this is correct.) What the public belives, however, and this is due to FCPS PR campaign, the bond money will be allocated for CES 2 million for planning, 10 million to X school for renovation, 20 million for installing a heating system at X and so on. Therefore, when the voter selects the yes button, in theory, they are saying yes to the identified uses.

In reality, however, the FCPS with board support, can do anything they dang well please as long as the money is being used for capital improvements. Someone said Graham Road Elementary also had renovation money and it was closed to be moved to another site. If I were a parent at a small school, I would run from any allocation of renovation money for fear of it being closed.

Most people vote for school bond money....voters really need to wake up and see how FCPS with the board's endorsement is playing hide and seek with our scarce tax dollars.

Posted by: Where do the kids go ()
Date: December 28, 2010 12:48PM

Any word on this option E that is suppose to come out. I am really hoping that the FCPS board or staff will realize that people want not just to know where the elementary school boundaries will be but how those changes will affect the middle and high school. Why doesn't the staff do a complete study rather than another half assed job.

Posted by: say ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:27PM

This shit has been going on for time immemorial.

Sometimes when I get bored, I go to the School Board website and read the minutes of long ago Board meetings. They go back to 1922. (in one 1922 meeting, the board was voting on expenditures, and one of them was "Two brooms for Clifton School...$1.70" Another was "Four cords of firewood @ $5.50 per cord...$22.00. Shit, what's a cord of wood cost nowadays? LOL

In meetings back in the early 50's, Fairview parents expressed their outrage that some of their kids were being re-districted to Clifton!

Posted by: Samuel Clemens ()
Date: December 29, 2010 07:08AM

It's been going on a lot longer than that and it's going to take a lot more than you may think to change the SB.

...."In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made School Boards."

Mark Twain

Posted by: SB said middle and high schools would remain as they are now ()
Date: December 29, 2010 08:24AM

I do not believe that for a second but they are only moving elementary kids right now.

Posted by: HOHOHO ()
Date: January 03, 2011 02:02PM

Saw this on another forum. Pompous letter from Cassie Eatmon to School Board
Attachments:
Cassandra_working_School_Board_Chair_and_Bradsher.png

Posted by: Sick and tired ()
Date: January 04, 2011 03:30PM

when oh when is the high and mighty School Board and their incompetent staff going to let us serfs know where are kids are going to school next year? Is this decision scheduled for February or are they waiting to see if the lawsuit re: Clifton Elementary goes forward?

Posted by: I hope they tell us soon. ()
Date: January 04, 2011 05:33PM

My kids would love to know what school they are going to next year. I tell them FCPS are a mess and the sooner they learn that the better.

And remember option E still is in the works. So to answer you question. nobody the fuck knows.

Posted by: you just get to pay the bills ()
Date: January 04, 2011 08:46PM

They will let you know in July. It will probably be option J or K. Even though they know right now, they will tell you that they really don't know yet. July is the latest they can let you know and still get the trailers and desks into place.

Posted by: July my ass! ()
Date: January 05, 2011 10:25AM

I think the Clifton parents are going to protest and not let the kids take the SOL's. Screw Fairfax county. If they close Clifton they really do not need to take those tests anyway.

Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: January 05, 2011 01:38PM

"WAKE UP FAIRFAX COUNTY!!!!!!

Two ways to even the score:

1. Vote new SB members in on November 2011

2. Vote HELL NO! on the bond referendum "

That would be the thing to do except new SB members might end up following in old SBs' games and learning how to scratch each other backs.

Like a poster said in a similar way,

welcome to the art of redistricting in Fairfax County by FCPS's very own, the SB

Posted by: parents ()
Date: January 06, 2011 05:31AM

I live in Centreville off of Stringfellow and some maps have us move to Poplar Tree school. We love the idea. It is not all parents that do not want to move. Ones I talk to do not care. It lets us go to school with the people on our street in our same HOA.

Posted by: agree ()
Date: January 06, 2011 12:00PM

parents Wrote:
> I live in Centreville off of Stringfellow and some
> maps have us move to Poplar Tree school. We love
> the idea. It is not all parents that do not want
> to move. Ones I talk to do not care. It lets us
> go to school with the people on our street in our
> same HOA.

That is all most parents want, for their children to go to school with kids that are neighbors, who they are playing with and growing up with. This is the meaning of a community school. When the school board closes a school or redistricts a group of kids, they don't think about how that affects a child's sense of connection. I moved a lot as a kid, and it affected me in my ability to make friends. The school board says kids are resillient (sp?), but in reality, kids just don't know how to communicate how they are hurt. Think about kids that are abused or molested, they don't talk about it as children, they seem to be fine. But when they become adults, all that hurt and anger comes out.

Posted by: Surprise! ()
Date: January 06, 2011 02:32PM

The parents in Southwestern Fairfax are in for a big surprise. You aren't going to get additions built on to your schools. You are going to get trailers and you need to be prepared to live with them for a LONG, LONG time. There are other schools in Fairfax with existing trailers so why would your schools be prioritized for getting building additions first why other schools have waited? They are just telling you that you are going to get building additions now to keep you quiet so you don't scream to the press while they meanwhile get to say they gave public notice and went through a public hearing on the boundary changes. You are screwed and you can thank your NON-Representative Liz Bradsher for it.

Posted by: parents ()
Date: January 06, 2011 07:09PM

The PTA few pushing for things to not change. This is not majority of parents. Move the kids to Poplar Tree, move neighbors together. Look at map. It makes sense.

Posted by: What about the Clifton children? ()
Date: January 06, 2011 07:21PM

The Clifton kids are being moved into three different schools. Friends they have had for years are being split up. I know they will come out great in the end but for right now they feel like they are not being heard. I am happy it is working out for others but right now this whole process stings.

We in Clifton have not been told where are kids are going in the fall. Right now it is option A,B,C or D. They are also working on an E. When we will be told where the school are kids will attend? July or August seems to be FCPS plan.

I am stating facts. Please stop calling us elite. I did not come from family money and I have worked since I was sixteen. I am proud to have worked hard and be able to live in Clifton. Many of my friends have the same story.

Posted by: yee-up ()
Date: January 06, 2011 08:02PM

Surprise! Wrote:
> The parents in Southwestern Fairfax are in for a
> big surprise. You aren't going to get additions
> built on to your schools. You are going to get
> trailers and you need to be prepared to live with
> them for a LONG, LONG time. There are other
> schools in Fairfax with existing trailers so why
> would your schools be prioritized for getting
> building additions first why other schools have
> waited? They are just telling you that you are
> going to get building additions now to keep you
> quiet so you don't scream to the press while they
> meanwhile get to say they gave public notice and
> went through a public hearing on the boundary
> changes. You are screwed and you can thank your
> NON-Representative Liz Bradsher for it.

Thank you. If only more people would actually see this to be true and address this problem.

Posted by: Liz Bradsher ()
Date: January 06, 2011 09:22PM

Who does she think she is? She has had so much bad press many do not want to be around her. I heard she may retire and move down south after her next loss on the SB. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: parentstounite ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:42PM

Move Northbourne kids to Poplar Tree. That will free up 150-200 seats at other schools to better shift Clifton.

Posted by: Capacity? Really??? ()
Date: January 08, 2011 12:27PM

Can anyone out there explain to me how surrounding schools can "absorb" Clifton students? I just can't get the math to work. Is there something I am missing?

Clifton Students: 369
Fairview capacity: 58
Sangster capacity: 25
Union Mill capacity: 17
Total capacity: 100

Even if FCPS claims "declining enrollment" (which is simply NOT true), this is still not nearly enough seats. 100 available vs. 370 needed???

Posted by: Skeptical ()
Date: January 08, 2011 01:34PM

Capacity? Really??? Wrote:
> Can anyone out there explain to me how surrounding
> schools can "absorb" Clifton students? I just
> can't get the math to work. Is there something I
> am missing?
>
> Clifton Students: 369
> Fairview capacity: 58
> Sangster capacity: 25
> Union Mill capacity: 17
> Total capacity: 100
>
>
> Even if FCPS claims "declining enrollment" (which
> is simply NOT true), this is still not nearly
> enough seats. 100 available vs. 370 needed???

I thought it was now all about additions and redistricting throughout the region to create spaces at the schools closest to Clifton.

FYI - there is also an Annandale Regional Study that is going on right now and the MS/HS committee composed of parents from the schools involved basically said in their report that they had very little confidence in how FCPS Staff determined a school's "capacity" (since the numbers bounce around from year to year) or projected future enrollment.

Posted by: Additions? When? ()
Date: January 08, 2011 07:29PM

When are they going to build the additions at Fairview/Sangster/Union Mill? Option D does not mention timelines for the additions - or am I missing it?(entirely possible... so don't get all snarky on me!).

Date: January 08, 2011 08:33PM

Additions? When? Wrote:
> When are they going to build the additions at
> Fairview/Sangster/Union Mill? Option D does not
> mention timelines for the additions - or am I
> missing it?(entirely possible... so don't get all
> snarky on me!).

If there are any timelines, FCPS has not shared them with the rest of us. And don't count on additions at all. They are not guaranteed. And now Annandale is reaching in to take a piece of the pie intended for those additions. Read the Annandale Regional Study presentation and report. Not saying that Annandale doesn't need/deserve the funds as much as the SW Region. BUT, I am wondering where exactly those funds are coming from.

Hello TRAILERS!

Get ready for them, they're coming whether we like it or not. And, have you ever noticed that once a school gets those trailers, they never seem to leave?

Posted by: Trailers @ Fairview ()
Date: January 08, 2011 09:18PM

WoW - seems like Fairview is at most risk for the trailers. Why aren't Fairview parents more vocal about this? Do they not know? Do they not understand? What is their PTA President doing to make them aware?

Date: January 09, 2011 08:10AM

Just some thoughts about trailers at some FCPS schools (seems like most of them)--my two kids have experienced classroom trailers. I have never supported the idea of having trailers implanted with the schools for safety and other reasons.

A few years ago in my area, we were under a tornado warning and it happened very quickly. My kids' schools were nearby my work so I knew they had the same warning. One of my kids was in a classroom trailer (was in 4th grade at that time). When the warning expired and I left work to get my kids, I asked how did it go? My 4th grade kid said it was terrible. All the kids and the teachers from these trailers had to run to the main school for safety and that it was not easy for them.

I personally feel these trailers need to be reviewed and must go! They don't help with any redistricting for that matter.

Posted by: FairviewAnswer ()
Date: January 09, 2011 09:08AM

Trailers @ Fairview Wrote:
> WoW - seems like Fairview is at most risk for the
> trailers. Why aren't Fairview parents more vocal
> about this? Do they not know? Do they not
> understand? What is their PTA President doing to
> make them aware

It appears that the Fairview parents have their priorities mixed up. They are more worried about getting their kids to after school sporting events than worrying about what is going on with their day-to-day education. Rumor has it that Tessie Wilson and Liz Bradsher were at a PTA meeting at Fairview recently and told the parents there was very little money for renovations which is why Clifton had to be closed and all of this redistricting had to occur (which is ultimately going to put a bunch of trailers at Fairview and increase their class size). LESS THAN TWO MONTHS LATER, FCPS came out with news reports that they had extra money for renovations and were now going to be able to do renovations at a lot of OTHER schools (not the ones in the Southwestern part of the County). Interestingly, a lot of those schools just happened to be located in TESSIE WILSON and STU GIBSON's districts. Fairview parents have their priorities so screwed up that they still aren't paying attention though and it is now going to hurt their kids. They are about as gullible as they come.

Posted by: politics ()
Date: January 09, 2011 09:17AM

> It appears that the Fairview parents have their
> priorities mixed up. They are more worried about
> getting their kids to after school sporting events
> than worrying about what is going on with their
> day-to-day education. Rumor has it that Tessie
> Wilson and Liz Bradsher were at a PTA meeting at
> Fairview recently and told the parents there was
> very little money for renovations which is why
> Clifton had to be closed and all of this
> redistricting had to occur (which is ultimately
> going to put a bunch of trailers at Fairview and
> increase their class size). LESS THAN TWO MONTHS
> LATER, FCPS came out with news reports that they
> had extra money for renovations and were now going
> to be able to do renovations at a lot of OTHER
> schools (not the ones in the Southwestern part of
> the County). Interestingly, a lot of those
> schools just happened to be located in TESSIE
> WILSON and STU GIBSON's districts. Fairview
> parents have their priorities so screwed up that
> they still aren't paying attention though and it
> is now going to hurt their kids. They are about
> as gullible as they come.

This also makes it appear that Liz may have made some political back room deals with the other Board Members to get South County Middle School built ahead of everyone else on the lists. They let her bump South County Middle School up and and now she is going to let the parents in the Southwestern part of the County pay the price for it as she throws them under the bus so that the other Board Members can get THEIR schools renovated. Liz Bradsher is probably the WORST "Representative" this County has ever seen.

Posted by: Yeeeeees ()
Date: January 09, 2011 09:35AM

"Just some thoughts about trailers at some FCPS schools (seems like most of them)--my two kids have experienced classroom trailers. I have never supported the idea of having trailers implanted with the schools for safety and other reasons.

A few years ago in my area, we were under a tornado warning and it happened very quickly. My kids' schools were nearby my work so I knew they had the same warning. One of my kids was in a classroom trailer (was in 4th grade at that time). When the warning expired and I left work to get my kids, I asked how did it go? My 4th grade kid said it was terrible. All the kids and the teachers from these trailers had to run to the main school for safety and that it was not easy for them.

I personally feel these trailers need to be reviewed and must go! They don't help with any redistricting for that matter."

No sprinklers is a larger danger in the view of the SB. Fires happen much more often than high winds.

Posted by: Sprinklers? ()
Date: January 09, 2011 09:51AM

> No sprinklers is a larger danger in the view of
> the SB. Fires happen much more often than high
> winds.

There aren't any fire sprinklers in the trailers?!!! That can't be right.

If the kids scramble to the door and block the door, wouldn't the trailer essentially become a death trap?

Posted by: more on trailers ()
Date: January 09, 2011 10:47AM

You're absolutely right. The trailers are VERY unsafe in many ways----not the least of which is the limited exits (one). Yes, there is no water in the trailers. I used to bring in bottles of it (gee, isn't that what they had to do at Clifton and it was such a problem?). If a teacher needs help in a trailer (fight between students or even teacher suffering medical issue, etc.), it takes much more time for someone to get out there---the trailers are usually as far as possible from the main entrance and the office (way in the back usually). Nobody paid attention to the panic button in my trailer because it was right next to the door and kids often hit it by accident. I did have a student who went into diabetic shock once and I had a student suffer a seizure as well. I also had a student throw a desk at another student. Getting to the phone at one end would not always be a solution. In the building, the teacher can step outside and call to another teacher's room or call down the hallway---action is much faster.

By the way----to all of you who don't think teachers should get a raise, think again. I don't think you all are in much danger in your offices where you work so much harder than we do.

Date: January 09, 2011 11:05AM

Hey FCPS staff and SB, (we know you monitor this site)

I was looking at the proposed capacity enhancements at the various schools for the SW Boundary Study, and noticed that for option 1 at Fairview (pg. 20), the school in the picture is Fairfax Villa.

It would be most helpful to the parents currently at Fairview, and those slated to move to Fairview next year, if you would please correct that error and show exactly where the addition proposed for Option 1 at Fairview would be located.

This is such a sloppy mistake. How many more sloppy mistakes were made in this Boundary Study???

http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/southwesternstudy/capacityadditionoptions.pdf

Posted by: yoyo ()
Date: January 09, 2011 12:22PM

wow, that is pathetic that the staff would get that wrong. Shows how much thougth they really put into the additions.

Posted by: bon bons ()
Date: January 09, 2011 12:28PM

more on trailers Wrote:
.> By the way----to all of you who don't think
> teachers should get a raise, think again. I don't
> think you all are in much danger in your offices
> where you work so much harder than we do.

Right. Teachers should get a raise. No one else is in this economy except congress is getting raises. Yep. All of us just sit in our cozy offices nice and safe.

Posted by: legal? ()
Date: January 09, 2011 01:17PM

more on trailers Wrote:
> You're absolutely right. The trailers are VERY
> unsafe in many ways----not the least of which is
> the limited exits (one). Yes, there is no water
> in the trailers. I used to bring in bottles of it
> (gee, isn't that what they had to do at Clifton
> and it was such a problem?). If a teacher needs
> help in a trailer (fight between students or even
> teacher suffering medical issue, etc.), it takes
> much more time for someone to get out there---the
> trailers are usually as far as possible from the
> main entrance and the office (way in the back
> usually). Nobody paid attention to the panic
> button in my trailer because it was right next to
> the door and kids often hit it by accident. I did
> have a student who went into diabetic shock once
> and I had a student suffer a seizure as well. I
> also had a student throw a desk at another
> student. Getting to the phone at one end would
> not always be a solution. In the building, the
> teacher can step outside and call to another
> teacher's room or call down the hallway---action
> is much faster.
>
>
> By the way----to all of you who don't think
> teachers should get a raise, think again. I don't
> think you all are in much danger in your offices
> where you work so much harder than we do.

How is it even legal to have a public gathering place with only one exit?
Plus, a 5 to 12 year old child isn't going to be able to unlock or climb out a window in a panic. Smoke inhalation would probably get to them first. Aren't there laws about having multiple egress points?

Also, most of the schools have entrances with front locks and check-in procedures before someone can just walk into the school. What is the security on a trailer if they are just sitting in the back of the school on what used to be a playing field?

Posted by: reader ()
Date: January 09, 2011 01:25PM

I still want to know. What is the motivation of staff? I understand Bradsher's political motivation,but why is staff so anxious to close Clifton? It just does not make sense to me. I do not think it is saving money. There must be another reason. Tisdadt surely is not afraid of Bradsher or the other members. He is too close to retirement. Why is he so anxious to do this?

Posted by: more on trailers ()
Date: January 09, 2011 01:33PM

Yes. The windows are not big enough to climb out of by the way. They are very small and have the sliding type of opening.

And, yes, security was a big concern that I had when I worked in one of them---the vision of what someone could do ran through my head more than a few times. Trailers are a lot less secure than a building for sure. I think they should keep Clifton open long enough to get the additions built and then move the Clifton students. That would be much wiser than moving students before they are ready and as one poster wrote---once those trailers are in place there will be little incentive to put on the additions. The money will be used elsewhere in the system.

I think the parents should visit elementary schools that have trailers to see what it is like. Ask for additions.

Posted by: trailerSafety ()
Date: January 09, 2011 02:18PM

Aside from what sounds like fire and safety concerns related to the trailers, just curious if anybody has ever investigated the trailers FCPS is using for toxic formaldehyde, etc.? According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), exposure to formaldehyde can cause cancer. Formaldehyde exposure is a special concern for children. Children may become sensitive to formaldehyde more easily, which may make it more likely they will become sick.

“ToxicTrailers.com is dedicated to providing information about formaldehyde poisoning, and advocating effective government regulations. The government spent more than $2 billion on FEMA trailers with hazardous levels of formaldehyde, and now has dumped more than 103,000 former FEMA trailers on the market despite proven problems with formaldehyde, mold and even gas leaks. The FEMA trailer tragedy exposed what is a widespread problem in RVs, mobile homes, MODULAR BUILDINGS and even conventional homes and offices.â€

http://www.toxictrailers.org/2007/05/info-on-class-action-lawsuit.html

Maybe what the parents should do is start a petition to FCPS and the County Supervisors that they are putting them on notice that they want to stop the introduction of trailers into the school system? There are likely lots of parents THROUGHOUT the County that would back that petition!

Posted by: Comeon ()
Date: January 09, 2011 02:32PM

Are you people for real? Some are dieing from cancer now because of trailers? Others a letting their 4 year olds decide how well a drill as school goes? Clifton school is closing, its done. Board says so, court says so. Denial should be over. Focus needs to be on best for the students. I am surprised no one proposed homeschool for those kids as they seem too bright for this county. Get real.

Date: January 09, 2011 02:48PM

Comeon Wrote:
> Are you people for real? Some are dieing from
> cancer now because of trailers? Others a letting
> their 4 year olds decide how well a drill as
> school goes? Clifton school is closing, its done.
> Board says so, court says so. Denial should be
> over. Focus needs to be on best for the students.
> I am surprised no one proposed homeschool for
> those kids as they seem too bright for this
> county. Get real.

Are you for real?

1. Dieing is spelled dying. And yes, some trailers pose a real danger. Get your head out of the sand and look around once in a while.

2. "Others a letting their 4 year olds decide how well a drill as school goes?"
HUH??? Form a coherent sentence and then please feel free to rejoin the discussion.

3. The focus is on what is best for the students. Which is why parents don't want them in trailers.

You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension while you work on your spelling and sentence structure.

Not a sermon, just a thought!

Posted by: Liz Bradsher is going down! ()
Date: January 09, 2011 03:33PM

A new lawsuit has been filed by a parent against the SB for secret e-mails not released to the public. In the new lawsuit all e-mails made by SB members must be released to the public. June and July e-mails show that memebers of the SB had already made it clear that CLifton elemenarty was to close.

I am so happy! Now all of Fairax can see the town drunk Liz Bradsher at her best!

Posted by: Reading is Fundamental ()
Date: January 09, 2011 03:42PM

" Others a letting
> their 4 year olds decide how well a drill as
> school goes?"

If you go back to the original post, it said a 4th grader, not a 4 year old. Yes, you need to retake the Reading SOL's.

Posted by: I hate the grammar police ()
Date: January 09, 2011 04:26PM

When you type on your iPhone it is easy to make an error.

Posted by: To iphone user ()
Date: January 09, 2011 05:04PM

Your error on the 4th grader vs. a 4 year old was not a grammar mistake. The iPhone didn't make you do it.

Posted by: dimwit ()
Date: January 09, 2011 06:19PM

Sorry about 4th grader versus 4 year old. With the level of conversation, you can see how we all got confused. Back to the topic. Lets do whats best for the kids.

Posted by: I am a 4th grader! ()
Date: January 09, 2011 09:40PM

Why are you mad at me? I am learning on my new new iphone. I am NOT a 4 yeard old but in the 4th grade. Don't hate on here.

Posted by: stayingput ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:05PM

Oh yes just move kids from GBW that takes care of it - ummm not the case - because then it overcrowds Poplar Tree. As for neighborhood school, we were told when we moved in that due to the autism center and its requirements that our neighborhood would never be put at Poplar Tree. We have been at GBW and love it. Poplar Tree is by no means a bad school but the frustrating thing is that the school board and admins etc... need parents to get involved. So you get involved your kids build bonds as do the parents and then they just move you like a playing piece in a chess board because really at this point no one wants to stand down. If moving us eliminated the overcrowding issue it would make since, but moving us put to move kids from one school so you can fill that school with kids from another and so on and so on just doesn't make since.

Really the bigger issue for me is timeline. Many families need to make arrangments with child care or preschool for younger children or numerous other things that tie to a childs school and its schedule - many of those things are hitting now and need to get set, but with uncertainty it adds an extra burden on the parents, the same parents the school board depends on to support its school both time wise and financially. It would make more since to continue to work on this plan and have enrollment changes occur the next year.

Also reading through these posts - I am really shocked by the language and hate. I mean peiple may disagree but really if all you can manage is the basest of language and worst attitude towards others - then what does it say about you. Hopefully you raise your children to use their words appropriately with some consideration to others because certainly their are many of you that don't - what a sad display of adult behavior.

Date: January 10, 2011 07:14PM

I apologize for the spelling errors in particular since - needs to be sense - the lazy days of spellcheckers certainly missed by me on this forum.

Posted by: to stayingput ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:14PM

Cry me a river. You only care about you OWN children. Get a life.

Posted by: To: stayingput ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:52PM

To: Stayingput,

You're absolutely right, it doesn't make any sense to start moving kids from one school to make room for kids from another school. You end up with a giant domino effect. AND, you're going to end up with MORE TRAILERS. At all of the schools.

Let me ask you though - Have you written to the School Board to tell them your concerns? Do you plan to speak at the Public Hearing in February? Have you contacted your PTA President to ask if there is anything more you can do? Have you heard from your PTA Pres. regarding the resolution that many of the PTA's from the involved schools are considering presenting to the School Board.

If you can't answer "Yes" to the above questions, when do you plan on doing something rather than complain anonymously on a forum?

If you have written to the School Board, have they responded? Was their response satisfactory to you? Take it with a grain of salt, whatever they tell you.

If you've read the posts above, and even a small portion of the FOIA emails regarding Clifton, you can see for yourself that the School Board will manipulate the situation to suit them. It's not about the kids. It's about the School Board. It's not about what the parents want for the kids, it's about how the School Board wants the public to perceive the children.

Look past the hateful language, and you will see that there is a reason that so many people are angry at the School Board. Yes, some of it is juvenile and questionable at best, but don't let that cloud your judgement where the School Board is concerned. The lack of transparency is frightening, at best. The lack of accountability is even worse.

If you want to make a difference, then do something about it. If you want your child to stay at GBW, get involved, NOW. Don't wait until the public hearing to say what you want. That will be too late.

Posted by: You are a little late to the party ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:06PM

You must get involved now before the SB changes Fairfax co. Public Schools as we know it. Larger schools, class sizes, ect.

Posted by: Clifton Mom ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:46PM

Great, so I move to a larger property in Clifton to get more land and more peace (and then pay more real estate taxes) and then won't find out where my kid goes to school on August 28th or so.

Then my kid will have to learn in a windy cold trailer (I had two in high school - I vividly remember them) while a decent school sits empty just because of a dumb school board.

Way to go, SB. Close a perfectly fine school and overcrowd the surrounding ones for no reason at all, except for some unseen financial gain for a crony (and kickback for the SB members) that we will find out about soon.

Posted by: Skeptical ()
Date: January 11, 2011 11:53AM

Clifton Mom Wrote:
> Great, so I move to a larger property in Clifton
> to get more land and more peace (and then pay more
> real estate taxes) and then won't find out where
> my kid goes to school on August 28th or so.
>
> Then my kid will have to learn in a windy cold
> trailer (I had two in high school - I vividly
> remember them) while a decent school sits empty
> just because of a dumb school board.
>
> Way to go, SB. Close a perfectly fine school and
> overcrowd the surrounding ones for no reason at
> all, except for some unseen financial gain for a
> crony (and kickback for the SB members) that we
> will find out about soon.

It's clear that you obviously need to get your priorities straight. It sounds like you care more about your own child's education than about whether Liz Bradsher can do favors for her cronies in Springfield and build schools that aren't really needed in South County.

Just who do you think you are, anyway? A mere parent? A resident? A taxpayer? It's like some of you people have never been told to accept total idiocy before. Get a grip.

Posted by: Agree ()
Date: January 11, 2011 04:24PM

Yes, get a grip. Don't you know that you can't decide what great stuff the county should give to your kid? Your kid was in a school that was not 'up to snuff" and you were depriving your kid of traveling on a bus to a trailer. How dare you not think of what is good for this county! Get with the program! You are elitest. But if you lived in that downtrodden South County MS area, you would get a brand new school with extra room.

Date: January 11, 2011 07:51PM

You have no clue how invloved I am. You just assume incorrectly, that I am a whiner and uninvolved. Proving my point that many on here see the worse in a person and make assumptions. Had you taken the time to comprhend my posts you would see I was an involved parent frustrated with the process but, rather than go to the basest level, I can acknowledge that even being extremely involved will not guarantee the result I want or the result that is the best for all (which may not be the same we all come in with biases as to what we want for our own kids). I think if looked at further even the school board can see a real issue with the timeline, and I hope they come to realize this.

I have been extremely involved to a level I doubt many nonClifton people have and have worked hard to rally my neighbors to stay involved in the process both when they have been satisfied with ideas presented and when they have been dissatisfied - regardless if they have the same view as me or not. So that their voice is heard.

I am quite aware of the School Board and how they can be pulled to see things certain way. Just look at the SLEEP movement that almost passed. The main members for it on the board also listed SLEEP chairpeople and members as contributors to their campaigns. All of this is public record if one chooses to look. Things may not always be "transparent" but if one digs far enough and investigates motives of all parties motives can become clearer.

In the end it will depend how much the school board members want to keep the positions they have. All are up for reelection this year and we the people need to make sure they are aware that we put them there to represent us and we have the power to remove them. Does that mean Clifton should stay open - not neccesarily, does it mean my kids should stay where I want - not neccesarily. I think there have been many public and private opportunities for indivuals to share their views - that does not mean those views are what is best for all (mine included). But do I think that the school board needs to look not only at the big picture but the small pictures of the families (who need to make child care changes and preschool choices and numerous other activities that revolve around the school schedule) and how rushing to implement after a drawn out decision process is a poor choice. I may not have the answers but regardless of the outcome of where my child ends up implementing massive moves by September is hasty on all accounts both for the families and the school staff that is left with what these people decide on.

Personally the money and time spent on this study has been a waste. I have been very unimpressed with the employees responsible for gathering data - in the private sector flaws like these would have led to unemployment instead of a shoulder shrug from higher ups. The money spent on this boundary study and the money spent on the SLEEP study both could have been better used to provide resources to our classrooms and raises for our teachers.I think the school board has evolved into profeesional politicans instead of individuals trying to serve our community - and that is a sad state of affairs.

Date: January 11, 2011 08:10PM

"The money spent on this boundary study and the money spent on the SLEEP study both could have been better used to provide resources to our classrooms and raises for our teachers.I think the school board has evolved into profeesional politicans instead of individuals trying to serve our community - and that is a sad state of affairs."

I totally agree!

Pages: Previous1234567AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 7

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.