HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Freaking FCPD Helicopters
Posted by: Whop-whop-whop ()
Date: August 29, 2010 05:50PM

OK, I know they are Important, but dang, do they have to fly around in circles for 1/2 an hour to do a Medi-vac?

Set up the landing site, THEN send the chopper, no need to waste time waking people up from 1-2am, Yes, 1/2 hour at least of circling, then landing, and take off. They could've had the person to the hopsital, Fair Oaks, is 10 minutes by ambulance at that time of night.

Funny,as I type this... there is yet another Helicopter circling just now...

Waste of OUR $$$ IMHO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freaking FCPD Helicopters
Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: August 29, 2010 05:50PM

Real rough life you have there.

Posted by: VAfinsfan ()
Date: August 29, 2010 05:58PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Real rough life you have there.

Yeah, It keeps you up for an hour in the middle of the night, you'd be mad too.

Never seen you here before, so suck it.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: August 29, 2010 06:08PM

I'd rather them circle and land safely then rush the landing and smash into a house.

Unless it's Whop-whop-whop's house, then they can smash into it.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: August 29, 2010 07:19PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 07:19PM by tomahawk.

Posted by: Whop-whop-whop fan ()
Date: August 29, 2010 08:30PM

i agree with whop whop, unless they are taking the patient out of the area.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: August 29, 2010 09:19PM

Sounds like we have a rogue helicopter pilot in this airspace. Did he fly between the magnolia tree and the property line?

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:56PM

You care more about tax dollars than lives being saved? Wow, that's so "NoVa" of you!

Any good helo pilot strictly follows SOP, otherwise they all end up dead (Patient inclued). This isn't a war-zone where the helos need to drop like rocks.

Re: The video, LOL. Hahaha, I can only imagine that guy's reaction if he lived in my household on 9/11, when a formation of Special Operations Chinooks came swooping down only about 50-100 feet over my roofline. I bet he would've had a heart attack, and then he'd try and track them down too.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 11:30PM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: August 29, 2010 11:11PM

Last time I checked FCPD only had one helicopter (Fairfax One).

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: August 29, 2010 11:36PM

General Lee Wrote:
> Last time I checked FCPD only had one helicopter
> (Fairfax One).

They actually have two, and their two are among only a handful of FLIR equipped ones in the entire Commonwealth. They are an award winning unit as well:

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: August 30, 2010 12:30AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> General Lee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Last time I checked FCPD only had one
> helicopter
> > (Fairfax One).
>
>
> They actually have two, and their two are among
> only a handful of FLIR equipped ones in the entire
> Commonwealth. They are an award winning unit as
> well:
>
> http://www.propilotmag.com/archives/2008/July08/im
> ages_7_08/opjulyfair.jpg

I did not know that. So is only one of them called Fairfax One? What about the other?

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: August 30, 2010 06:31AM

Fairfax 1.2

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: August 30, 2010 09:17AM

They've only had 1 flyable one for the past few years. They've been cannibalizing the 2nd one for parts due to budget.

The second one was called "Fairfax Two" (shock shock)

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: August 30, 2010 11:47AM

Our neighborhood is in their flight path and I wish they would fly as high as your pic shows PackLeader. 50-100 feet above the roofline is normal here.

Date: August 30, 2010 02:22PM

Wow. Pretty good number of amateur chopper pilots in this forum. Probably right, I'm sure those guys just buzz your house because they have nothing better to do and only want to piss you off.

Posted by: RevenueNeeded ()
Date: August 30, 2010 03:18PM

And it takes 22 personnel to keep the Fairfax County Air force running. Average salary of $60k, that's over $1.3 Million per year. Average Homeowner pays about $4,500 in taxes, so it takes 288 home owners and their taxes to keep this unit flying each year.

Now, can someone tell me how many lives did they save this year?

Don't get me started on our Navy.

Date: August 30, 2010 03:34PM

According to the 2008 annual report (sorry, most updated online I could find), the helicopter performed 2,364 missions, did 128 medevacs, and was in the air for over 1100 hrs. I'm assuming that for the most part, that was working aerial support for burglaries, shootings, foot chases and pursuits. As for the medevacs, I'm fairly confident if a person is getting taken to the hospital in a helicopter over an ambulance, it's because their life is in serious jeopardy. So I think it's safe to assume 128 or so lives were either saved or attempted to be saved via the helicopter.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/inside-fcpd/pdf/fcpd_ar08_web.pdf

Look, I get that the majority of people on here hate cops. Whatever your reason, I don't really give a shit, it's your reason. I've had a couple of run-ins with county cops, one I thought was a bit nit-picky but I was treated fairly because I didn't act like an asshole to the guy, and at least one I know I earned because I was hammered and acting dumb and still got cut a break because I acted respectfully and got to go home with a friend. Bottom line, spare me the bitching and moaning about funding a fucking helicopter for the police force. Most major cities PDs have one, so I don't really think it's an issue that the richest/2nd richest county in the entire country has a helicopter. If some asshole breaks into my house in the middle of the night, I'm actually pretty happy that there is a helicopter here that will try and find him as he runs off like the little bitch he is. And the majority of people on here either don't pay taxes or pay so little who gives a crap. Paying taxes doesn't give you the authority to either decide or act like you know how to run a police force from your couch or because you saw an episode of The Wire one time.

And last I heard the "navy" as you put it doesn't even operate anymore because of the budget problems. I think it consisted of one boat....again, who gives a shit? People on a lake get hammered or have boating problems and need assistance. I'm pretty sure that's what cops are supposed to do. You want them to use a canoe or a paddleboat? Get over yourself.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: August 30, 2010 03:40PM

I hear a rumor that if you shine a green laser at it they leave.......but then a swat team of 20 kicks your door in within 10 minutes, trashes your house and arrests you and charges you with more felonys than you can shake a stick at, ruining your life forever.

Moral of the story: Don't do anything stupid; it could cause people to die.

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: August 30, 2010 05:35PM

Fatty McButterpants Wrote:
> Wow. Pretty good number of amateur chopper pilots
> in this forum. Probably right, I'm sure those
> guys just buzz your house because they have
> nothing better to do and only want to piss you
> off.

No chopper pilot skills involved in figuring out how high a chopper is when flying over your home Farty. All it requires is a simple knowledge of geometry, a general idea of how long the chopper is and a yardstick. Ask a typical 10th grader how it's done. It isn't an anti-cop thing. In our area we get to deal with military helicopters, newschoppers and medical helicopters in addition to the FCCP.

Date: August 31, 2010 01:31PM

Hardly the point of that or my second post, but by all means geo-wizard, feel free to stick your compass straight up your ass.

Posted by: MacDude ()
Date: August 31, 2010 01:55PM

The current episode of this TV show has spotlight on the helicopter unit:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/newsroom/onthebeat.htm

Posted by: vidal ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:22AM

It is very annoying. If they are taking a patient to the hospital why is the need to fly around for ever and wake up the whole neighborhood?,

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:49AM

How else are they supposed to wake up
the entire neighborhood?

SOLUTION:

Buy a set of earplugs & STFU.

................OR

Sell your parcel, and buy another peice of
real estate NOT located near a hospital
w/ heli-pad.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: September 13, 2010 10:57AM

Fucking FCPD Helicopters wake again...

Posted by: obligatory ()
Date: September 13, 2010 11:04AM

General Lee Wrote:
> I did not know that. So is only one of them
> called Fairfax One? What about the other?

Just like how Air Force One is any plane carrying the POTUS, "Fairfax One" is any aerial vehicle carrying FCPD's emergency donut-drop-case.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.