HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone tried the new restaurant at University Mall?
Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 03, 2007 03:00PM

I want to try the new Japanese steak house there where the Blockbuster's used to be. I think it is called Otami's or something. Anyone been there?

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone tried the new restaurant at University Mall?
Posted by: MBF ()
Date: July 03, 2007 03:20PM

It's Otani. Apparently, it's a chain; I've never been to the one in Chantilly, so I can't speak to the quality of their food. I am curious how the interior looks, since it was a blockbuster for so long, LOL.

Posted by: Kid ()
Date: July 03, 2007 08:51PM

otani is good, its just like sakura in fairlakes which i think is actually much better.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 04, 2007 08:37AM

MBF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's Otani. Apparently, it's a chain; I've never
> been to the one in Chantilly, so I can't speak to
> the quality of their food. I am curious how the
> interior looks, since it was a blockbuster for so
> long, LOL.

That's like the one in the Rolling Valley Mall (Burke).

It used to be a Pizza Hut back in the 1980's and early 1990's.

Now when you go in, it has a totally different look to it. Having been there when it was a Pizza Hut, it is tough to get past that. I guess that is what happens when you are a ffxn8v ;~)

Date: July 06, 2007 08:56AM

The one in Burke is Shiro. Far superior to Sakura in Fair Lakes. Curious to see how this new place is...

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 06, 2007 09:04AM

MBF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one in Burke is Shiro. Far superior to Sakura
> in Fair Lakes. Curious to see how this new place
> is...

Shiro is a Japanese steakhouse, while Sakura is a sushi bar with other traditional dishes. Which style is Otani? I would hope that after a year of renovations that you had no idea that it was a Blockbuster, but I wonder what took them so long. I use the Cardinal Bank and it seemed like they were close to opening for nearly six months.

Date: July 06, 2007 11:00AM

Sakura's website is "sakurasteakhouse.com" so saying they're not a steak house is a bit misleading, though, as you say they do have other seafood and sushi.

The quality of the food was subpar, IMHO. Shiro actually has Japanese folks on staff, Sakura didn't when I was there.

I have.
Date: July 06, 2007 11:11AM

I went there last night to pick up some sushi.
They have completely renovated the insides of the old blockbuster. There are a lot more dividing walls now, along with the new hibachi tables and the vents above them.

Otani Japanese Steak House
www.myotani.com
phone: 703 278 8875

The sushi was alright. I've had better but i've had to pay for it, and the prices here were decent. Philly roll ~$5.25, California roll ~$4.75
The front of the restraunt is a bar. Past that are hibachi tables, 3 big ones. I didnt get a table myself so I dont know how much seating was in the back but the sushi bar was towards the back of the restraunt along with (what looked like) plenty of seating.
If you guys want all you can eat sushi go to Todai in Fair Oaks. If you want one or two rolls, try Otani.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.