HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fourth of July Ideas?
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 01, 2007 08:32PM

I trying to figure out what to do for the 4th? I thought about heading downtown but with all this increased terrorist stuff going on I might skip downtown this year.

Fairfax City has a parade and fair, what else is local and great fireworks? If possible hot babes in bathing suits would be a plus. Maybe a day event ending in fireworks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fourth of July Ideas?
Date: July 01, 2007 08:45PM

Came across this
Attachments:
soberride_independenceday_2007.gif

Posted by: . ()
Date: July 01, 2007 09:59PM

pirate house party in bethesda

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 01, 2007 10:04PM

Downtown Vienna has a pretty nice firework show every year.

Posted by: . ()
Date: July 01, 2007 10:29PM

lame unless you have kids

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 01, 2007 11:20PM

fairfax HS has the fireworks, with all kinds of parades and crap in Fiarfax city before it.

Remember the carbombs are flying across on the concorde from England and are going to bomb DC if you go and see the fireworks there, so watch out.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 02, 2007 01:30AM

Might be too late to sign up but Atlantic Kayak has a has a night kayak tour on the river and you can watch the fireworks from the water. I alwys wanted to do this. Or borrow a kayak and just paddle away on your own. Take a light and a life jacket and a camera.

Trickie

Posted by: , ()
Date: July 02, 2007 01:40AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fairfax HS has the fireworks, with all kinds of
> parades and crap in Fiarfax city before it.

Some power in this city would be nice this year.

Posted by: pabs ()
Date: July 02, 2007 05:08AM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> Might be too late to sign up but Atlantic Kayak
> has a has a night kayak tour on the river and you
> can watch the fireworks from the water. I alwys
> wanted to do this. Or borrow a kayak and just
> paddle away on your own. Take a light and a life
> jacket and a camera.

I came to suggest exactly this; a friend of mine told me about it today and it sounds awesome.

Maybe I'll try that next year; this year it's a small barbeque with a couple of friends...

Oh, fireworks down on the mall, in case anyone didn't know about that. It's a bit of a pain because of the security checkpoints. Plus they take any fireworks you've got. The good news, though, is that you can bring in some food, check out the booths, and watch the fireworks show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2007 05:10AM by pabs.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 02, 2007 08:51AM

Prior to 9/11, the Pentagon parking lot was a great place to view the fireworks, but that is now closed. Lady Bird Johnson Park was our favorite place, but since you can no longer park on the GW Parkway it is almost impossible to get there. Fairfax City has great fireworks, but I find the shuttle bus to be more hassle than it's worth.

For the past few years we have wandered onto the grounds of Fairfax Country Club along with a couple of thousand other people. Park along 123 and just walk in. The show is not world-class, but still pretty nice and you get a decent, if distant, view of the fireworks in Centreville.

Date: July 02, 2007 09:44AM

The Kayak thing sounds like fun I'll have to check it out. Yeah, I use to do the Mall thing before they cancelled alcohol on the mall. We use to have kegs on the Mall.

We would hit some WHFS or rock 4th Music festival in the middle of DC and then wallk to the Mall later for beers and fireworks. We'd hangout with a lot of GWU people so their were always lots of hot drunk girls. But, once they cancelled alcohol on the Mall we stopped going.

I didn't realize you can no longer park along GW Parkway, that sucks.

I'd like to be able to drink beer if possible. I'm fine with putting it in a cup and doing the sneak deal so nobody knows it's beer. I imagine the Country Club is private property so I could drink there and not get harassed.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: July 02, 2007 10:19AM

The river is THE place to watch the fireworks!

We'll be taking about 30 of our closest friends out for the 32nd straight Fourth. We started the tradition in 1976...the year we acquired our pride and joy....a 1966, 57 foot Chris*Craft Constellaion.

Listen for my HUGE triple air horns blasting when it's over!

Date: July 02, 2007 10:24AM

Cville doesnt have fireworks anymore. But, if you know anyone in DC< find a building where you can get on the roof. Parking garages also work i did that a couple of years ago. Go to the top of the building and its a great view.

Date: July 02, 2007 10:41AM

LOL, I went to a roof top party last year by Clarendon grill. It was fun, the place had a pool on the roof. Some of the people were a little snobby at first, but once the beers got flowing they loosened up. LOL The fireworks started and we realized that several large buildings were blocking the view of the fireworks.

Cool part that saved the day was that we realized we were high enough up that we could see other fireworks around the area.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 02, 2007 11:24AM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I imagine the Country Club is private property so I could drink there and not get harassed.

I seem to recall people walking in with blankets and coolers, so beer would probably not be an issue. The crowds are pretty mellow and I do not recall ever seeing people getting harassed about being on the property.

Date: July 02, 2007 12:25PM

I would just like to have the option of drinking a beer if I want and not have to worry about getting some ticket. I don't think that's to much to ask.

After all, the US Founding Fathers met in pubs most of the time when they were planning the revolution.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: July 02, 2007 01:00PM

>
> After all, the US Founding Fathers met in pubs
> most of the time when they were planning the
> revolution.

Then they jumped into their fucking lexus and sped off.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 02, 2007 01:08PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I would just like to have the option of drinking a
> beer if I want and not have to worry about getting
> some ticket. I don't think that's to much to ask.
>
>
> After all, the US Founding Fathers met in pubs
> most of the time when they were planning the
> revolution.

back then the water supply was sketchy, so EVERYone drank copious amounts of booze cuz it was the only "safe" beverage. Founding fathers were pretty much loopy from morning till night

Date: July 02, 2007 06:18PM

Umm... to live in those days when beer was served like water : )

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 02, 2007 07:30PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:

>
> Remember the carbombs are flying across on the
> concorde from England and are going to bomb DC if
> you go and see the fireworks there, so watch out.

That would be a good trick, all Concord SST's have been decommissioned (retired) since at least October 2003.

I do not believe a bunch of thugs could teal them from the museums or airports they are stored at, install an engine and other removed vital components, and then fly it over here. To quote Bush Sr "Wouldn't be prudent".

Date: July 02, 2007 09:53PM

yes, i was kidding.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 04, 2007 08:39AM

My 4th plans include a picnic w/ my family in Fairfax City.
Pretty routine, but...

Posted by: Ghostface Killah ()
Date: July 04, 2007 08:47AM

Is there really a big terrorist threat? I guess if you take the Metro they could try to bomb that like in Europe. Weren't those domestic terrorists anyway? And train security will be tighter now. What else could they do? Setting off a little bomb in a crowd would be very unspectacular and could be done at any concert or event, so there's no point.

Date: July 04, 2007 09:30AM

yeah, but on the 4th of july, our nations birthday. it might be different if said bomb were set off at some national symbol, say the washington monument, or large flagpole, etc. etc. etc.

Date: July 04, 2007 01:56PM

On the stealing of a concorde from a museum, the Udvar hazy center has one thats near the hangar door. Said door is operated by a large circuit breaker which is padlocked in the off position.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 05, 2007 04:04PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> On the stealing of a concorde from a museum, the
> Udvar hazy center has one thats near the hangar
> door. Said door is operated by a large circuit
> breaker which is padlocked in the off position.

so i guess terrorists should bring bolt cutters. though, all the padlocks i know are spring loaded so one of those lockpicking keys would do.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.