HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gov. Kaine backpedals on 'bad driver fees'
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 28, 2007 09:32PM

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=60270

Well, it's finally clear why they called these "civil" fees rather than just upping the fines:

"They were enacted as fees, not fines, so that the revenue could be applied exclusively to road construction. The state Constitution directs all fines into the state Literary Fund, which helps build new schools and supplement teacher retirement."

"Because they are civil fees and lack the enforcement authority of a fine, they will be collected by the Department of Motor Vehicles as a condition for holding a driver's license. If the fee is not paid, DMV can suspend a driver's license or the privilege of using the state's roads. That's why the fee can only be collected from Virginia residents."

Of course Kaine and Albo are hoping you'll simmer down and forget all about this in a few weeks ("American Gladiators is on! WhooHoo" http://thinkexist.com/quotation/go_back_to_bed-america-your_government_has/339346.html)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gov. Kaine backpedals on 'bad driver fees'
Posted by: ? ()
Date: June 29, 2007 03:55AM

Is this that shit about a $50 tickets with $1000 fuckin $ "fees" those fuckin pigs and that fuckin tim is a fucki n communist fuck him and his fuckin pig force. I never say fuck so much.

Wait

FUCK TIM

and

FUCK THE POLICE

and

FUCK THE PIGS

BOTh kinds

well im going to go cook some

canada bacon and american bacon and pig bacon

Date: June 29, 2007 03:58AM

Haha fuck the pigs
Attachments:
n68136781_31880582_9425.jpg
DonutPolicePatch_ezr.jpg
fcpdwomangas.jpg
012407restonkubota.jpg
fairfaxpoliceindunkindonuts.jpg
cop1.jpg

Date: June 29, 2007 04:00AM

fuck all those cops and pigs of fairfax those son of a bitches and mr tim will pull a 1000$ fee that bloody fucker

Date: June 29, 2007 04:02AM

From now on im going to DUI because if i speed i get a 5,000,000 $ fuckin ticket but dui is not that much

so if you get pulled over in va take a shot right before the pig comes up to the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Date: June 29, 2007 04:07AM

can't dui well i well just walk drunk

o wait thats still a crime

Bloody FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

O MAn

Date: June 29, 2007 04:09AM

I love how the stupid fairfax police sport the american flag like they are americans they are from the soviet union of the social republic!!!!!

and same goes with tim

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: June 29, 2007 02:52PM

This is going to make attorneys a shitload of money, since everyone is going to be fighting their tickets now.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: Resident2 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 03:18PM

is this only moving violations? or what does the fee qualify for

Posted by: Hank ()
Date: June 29, 2007 04:48PM

Resident2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is this only moving violations? or what does the
> fee qualify for

just MISDEAMEANOR and FELONY traffic offenses! Man, what is it with you guys? Can't you read? Unless you are planning on going out and driving drunk, driving on a suspended license, committing a hit and run, driving recklessly, etc (basically stuff you could go to jail for anyway), you don't have to worry about these fees for regular moving violation tickets!!!!!! Understand!?!

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:46PM

Man, you folks talk like lawyers are magicians or something.

With VERY few exceptions...the speedracers and drunk drivers are going to end up paying the civil fees and a few thousand more to their attorneys.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:31PM

Attorneys kick ass

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:51PM

I think this law is great! I do not drive drunk, nor do I drive 20 MPH over the speed limit. I have seen that judges routinely reduce 20-25 MPH over violations from RD to speeding, and cops frequently write such violations as speeding anyway. Therefore, the folks that drive with no regard for human life will pay. This enhanced penalty will be both a deterrent and funding for road improvements that we need so desperately in this area. Beats the heck out of increasing taxes for everyone!

Date: June 30, 2007 12:18AM

Right on, Bubba! Only the assholes have to worry about these fees.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 30, 2007 09:07AM

Please let me know how you go about collecting the fee from the illegals who drive drunk and dont have a license. Thats right you dont. So all that money the state is predicting as income will never happen.

Read about the charge of reckless driving in general code. What you think is a regular ticket, at the cops discretion, can be charged as reckless. The passing buses and speeding over 20mph are under the specific code not general. In some cases you can actually be going under the speed limit and still be charged with reckless if the cop thinks it was too fast for road conditions. These are not prepayable offenses they are criminal charges.

You two remind me of the people that hailed Bushs Patriot Act. At first they thought well they are only going after the bad guys. We now see that it is being used on everyone.

Posted by: Boredom ()
Date: June 30, 2007 09:16AM

> just MISDEAMEANOR and FELONY traffic offenses!
> Man, what is it with you guys? Can't you read?
> Unless you are planning on going out and driving
> drunk, driving on a suspended license, committing
> a hit and run, driving recklessly, etc (basically
> stuff you could go to jail for anyway), you don't
> have to worry about these fees for regular moving
> violation tickets!!!!!! Understand!?!

You are forgetting about the penalty fees that you incur for having over 8 points on your license. Lets say you have 9 points on July 1. You will have to pay a fee even if you don't get a ticket.

Never fear. All this means is that the current administration won't be around long and this new law will vanish in a puff of smoke.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 30, 2007 11:17AM

Bubba Wrote:
> Therefore, the folks that drive with no
> regard for human life will pay.

human life is overrated, especially yours.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 30, 2007 11:17AM

9 points means you've been driving like an asshole. Pay up!

Date: June 30, 2007 12:04PM

Unless you are willing to accept pesos instead of dollars Virginia will never see half the money they expect.

Can't wait for duhs kids to get a few speeding tickets because they havent learned the speed trap areas yet. Since they are new drivers and have no bonus points it will only take a couple to put them in the -8 or -9 range.

Date: June 30, 2007 12:26PM

duh's kids are grown now, but they did get a "few speeding tickets", (and worse). Duh, however, never gave them a dime for the fines. One lost his license until he could scrape up the money to pay a ticket. Oh well....your bike's in the garage!

Unlike 99.99999% of parents nowadays, I tried to teach my kids what responsibility is. I told 'em when they fucked up and were looking for somebody to blame....to go find a goddamn mirror and take a good look.

I'm rather proud of how they turned out, thank you.

Date: July 01, 2007 12:40AM

Where can I find an explanation of what this new law is in the first place? [Never mind.]

Some things depend upon context. Going 20-25 over the limit isn't real dangerous if it's on the open highway, in a decent car. My car doesn't really drive well over 80 though, it's noisy and floaty. Some good cars though, 75 is very stable and feels almost too slow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 03:07AM by Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Date: July 01, 2007 02:20AM

Space Ghost Coast to Coast Wrote:
> Where can I find an explanation of what this new
> law is in the first place?
>
> Some things depend upon context. Going 20-25 over
> the limit isn't real dangerous if it's on the open
> highway, in a decent car. My car doesn't really
> drive well over 80 though, it's noisy and floaty.
> Some good cars though, 75 is very stable and feels
> almost too slow.

Don't matter what kinda ride you got, asshole.

You speedracers are fabulously skilled drivers....and everything is fine until another motorist does something you weren't expecting....BOOM!

Date: July 01, 2007 02:40AM

I was talking about when there aren't other cars close by, "asshole".

Posted by: citizen ()
Date: July 05, 2007 07:28PM

Bash the police all you want, they don't make the laws, or force you to drive in a manner to get stopped. Don't speed and drive like an ass, don't have to worry!!

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: July 05, 2007 07:59PM

Citizen,... Unfortunatly, driving like an ass is not a requirement to get a $1400 ticket with the new civil remedial fees..

Now that 20mph over is now a mandatory reckless driving charge everyone who drives on 495 with out backing up traffic could be the next winner of the $1400 ticket.

I did notice however that there were more officers on-duty on the 1st of July that a normal 1st..( real stats, not observation) Hemm.. me thinks they really wanted to kick this off right...

those bastards..

The first ccop to raise 1,000,000 in civil remedial fees gets a free toaster..

Posted by: ... ()
Date: July 05, 2007 09:05PM

citizen Wrote:
> Bash the police all you want, they don't make the
> laws,

They sure as hell have an awful lot of discretion as to which ones they want to enforce, however...

Posted by: / ()
Date: July 05, 2007 09:10PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
> Citizen,... Unfortunatly, driving like an ass is
> not a requirement to get a $1400 ticket with the
> new civil remedial fees..
>
> Now that 20mph over is now a mandatory reckless
> driving charge everyone who drives on 495 with out
> backing up traffic could be the next winner of the
> $1400 ticket.
>
> I did notice however that there were more officers
> on-duty on the 1st of July that a normal 1st..(
> real stats, not observation) Hemm.. me thinks they
> really wanted to kick this off right...
>
> those bastards..
>
> The first ccop to raise 1,000,000 in civil
> remedial fees gets a free toaster..

Since when is 20 MPH over the speed limit a "mandatory" reckless driving ticket? Can you please provide me the legislative change that state this? You won't be able to because it's not true. 20 MPH over the limit was reckless on June 30 just as it was on July 1. It has always been reckless. It's up to the officer whether or not you get charged with it, dummy.

If you don't have enough self-control to avoid driving 20 or more over the speed limit then you sound like just the type of person this piece of legislation is aimed at.

Just so your ignorant mind can actually be filled with a fact or two, July 1 was the start of "Wave 2" of the Smooth Operator Campaign. It's a regional campaign in Maryland, DC and Virginia. It's surely a coincidence that it started on July 1st. That may be the reason you are seeing what you believe to be more police on duty. But to humor us can you please provide the source of your "real stats, not observation?"

http://www.smoothoperatorprogram.com/events.html

Date: July 05, 2007 09:18PM

... Wrote:
> citizen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bash the police all you want, they don't make
> the
> > laws,
>
> They sure as hell have an awful lot of discretion
> as to which ones they want to enforce, however...

Maybe so but then again maybe not. Do you have a job? If your boss tells you to complete a project do you use your "discretion" and refuse to do your job? I have a feeling you'd be out of that job rather quickly. These men and women took a job to be "law enforcement" officers. It's their job to enforce laws, it's what they get paid for, simple as that. If their boss tells them to go out and enforce the law and they use their "discretion" to the point that nothing is being enforced, how long do you think they would be employed? People drive like complete idiots now even when the police are enforcing the law. How bad do you thnk they would drive if they police didn't enforce traffic laws? I'll bet you are one of the first ones on your "homeowner's association" board to complain about all the rampant speeding and stop sign running in your neighborhood.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: July 05, 2007 11:10PM

VA is not for lovers

VA is for Rich People

Posted by: oops! ()
Date: July 05, 2007 11:36PM

Just saw someone get themselves a $1000 ticket coming across the occaquan bridge. It's 35 mph there and two FFX Co cops were speed checking both sides. One guy was coming down the hill at way more than 35....got to see the mobile dance unit lights. I've been driving like a grandma since 7/1...pissing people off. The guy who slowed down behind me was grateful I'm sure.

Posted by: copsaregay ()
Date: July 06, 2007 02:11AM

that occaquan bridge isnt fair. it changes from 55mph to 35mph. anyone who is new in town will get the wreckless.

Date: July 06, 2007 02:37AM

copsaregay Wrote:
> that occaquan bridge isnt fair. it changes from
> 55mph to 35mph. anyone who is new in town will
> get the wreckless.

that's the point!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: DUCK ()
Date: July 06, 2007 03:55AM

... WROTE:
They sure as hell have an awful lot of discretion as to which ones they want to enforce, however...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

And you have an awful lot of discretion if you want to speed or not.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: July 06, 2007 08:43AM

It appears the reason the limit goes down to 35 both northbound and southbound on Ox Road is because it is an active work zone. There are people working on the bridge, so it is for their safety. And there really is no way you can miss the signs warning of a speed limit change. Hang up the cell phones, and pay attention to the world around you and you needn't worry about a ticket.

Posted by: oops! ()
Date: July 06, 2007 08:54AM

"There are people working on the bridge, so it is for their safety."

Maybe during the day...but the two cops were out there last night at 11:30pm. No one was out there working and it was even starting to rain. I suppose it's harder to set up a speed trap in the day (when people are actually working) becuase the cops can be seen.

Maybe they were protecting the 'concept' of people working on the bridge.

Date: July 06, 2007 04:23PM

Its sounds like \ is a po po ... or maybe just someone who wants to be..

Officer \, would it be fair to ask if an officer would be more or less likely to write a citation of reckless now that the penalty is now $1050 more.. plus the Lic. Point fees...???

I didnt know we had to site our sources on this site...but here you go officer
The stats were from the on-duty reports that the Police Cheifs's office issues..
It is a FOIA document.

"Dont have the self control to not drive 20 over"
Are you serious? have you ever driven on 495/95, if your doing 55 your goign to be hit by a semi-truck doing 85

And the reality is.. this bill is not to provide safer roads, it is was an expedient fix to provide funding for a poorly assembled transportation budget plan,this bill was promoted a year ago, and was squashed then, only when it was tacked to a bloated funding bill did it past..

The burden will not be placed on the Habitual Offenders,as they only make up approx 12% of the reckless driving tickets written... it will be placed on the first time offender..

And yes, I relize that the smooth operator program was started on the 1st , however, this seemed to be more than a mere coincidence.

And if this really was about getting bad drivers.. than why make it a civil fee and only go after VA residents..when a large portion of the cars on the roads around here are from a border states... yeah thats right, if they didnt make it a civil fee, the funding would go to the literacy/school fund.. like other ticket revenue does...so in the end its all about the money, not safety..

New Jersey, does the same thing, but only charges 300 extra for general reckless..and it applies to all drivers on the road. And they call it a surcharge.

This discussion is not about how good or bad police are, its how bad this bill is, so stop your attack dog bullshit with the name calling, officer.

My only problem with the police recently, it used to be To Serve and Protect.. now it is becoming: To Serve a ticket and Protect your own from liability, but they can fit that on the door of a cruiser..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 06:08PM by Take a Stand.

Date: July 06, 2007 06:01PM

Why would a cop care about the amount of a fine...do they get a cut?

Date: July 06, 2007 06:08PM

Thats why I was asking. Let me put a question mark in there.
No, ofcourse not,, but a patrol officer wants to make detective some day..right?

Date: July 06, 2007 07:20PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
>
> I didnt know we had to site our sources on this
> site...but here you go officer
> The stats were from the on-duty reports that the
> Police Cheifs's office issues..
> It is a FOIA document.
>

No, I am not a police officer, I'm a career military officer with members of my family involved with law enforcement, and not in Fairfax.

You claim this isn't about police officers but then you proceed to accuse them of padding their staffing levels just to "kick off the new surcharges right" and then YOU start with the name calling by labeling them "bastards."

Since you bring it up, I'm curious as to how you made a FOIA request and had it processed in only three business days (Wednesday being a holiday)? Since you have the documents from this past July as well as previous July 1's as implied in your post, care to share the numbers? Since you are so efficient on FOIA requests perhaps you should ask for a copy of the directive that states the police should pad their staffing levels to "kick things off right" but since I don't believe any such document exists I think you'll just be disappointed.

Yes, I am quite serious. You CAN drive less than 75 MPH on the beltway, I do it every day. There is no way the traffic moves at that speed in the right lanes. But since I don't live my life in the "fast lane" like others, I guess I'll just never know.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, it is your choice to drive 75. If you decide you need to drive in that manner I won't have much sympathy for you if you get caught.

Date: July 06, 2007 07:49PM

Those FOIA's will get you everytime. Take a stand may know but I think unless the government has a good reason they only have a few days to respond so he may well have gotten them that fast.

Awhile back cops stopped some guys in a restaurant in manassas over open carry guns. The guys were within their rights to open carry. Later the guys filed a FOIA and got not only the transcripts of the police call but also emails the cops later sent ridiculing the guys and also emails from the mayor to the chief of police. I dont have their website but it was on here some time ago.

Date: July 06, 2007 07:57PM

found it, yours to read or not read. While I dont agree with everything the group stands for they do know how to legally get their point across. I do know that governments hate the FOIA thing more than anything else. The computers they send emails on are paid for with tax money and the majority of the emails are public info.

http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/mcpd.html

Posted by: Khinny ()
Date: July 08, 2007 02:58PM

Don't you guys get it, its all Albos Fault, he's the fucking mastermind behind the whole thing, this isn't about fucking saving lives or reducing speeders its about Albo (who happens to be a defence attorny for traffic court "go figure") and his goddamn law firm Albo & Oblon LLP making rediculous amounts of money. bc we'd all rather pay $1000 for an attorney than $3000 for speeding. Did I mention Albo is a peice of shit? so if anyone out there gets a ticket, you have a name and a face to blame it on. oh and the ticket only applies to virginians, not the peice of shit outta towners that usually cause all the congestion and don't know how to drive, In the words of O.A.R " I say REVOLUTION and you say YA!"

Date: July 09, 2007 04:04PM

Khinny Wrote:
> Don't you guys get it, its all Albos Fault, he's
> the fucking mastermind behind the whole thing,
> this isn't about fucking saving lives or reducing
> speeders

yeah, albo already said that... well, rather, he didnt say it was for making the roads safer but rather for paying for road repairs and such.

Posted by: Just average Joe ()
Date: September 05, 2007 02:16AM

you know, this law may maybe be "unlawful" because of many reasons. First of all, I understand the lawmakers concern about traffic violation and these fines and fees will probably reduce alot of the violations. however, collecting "civil" fee or any kinds of fees upon violation in order to help fund a public project (such as road building) is simply unlawful because that should be included in the taxes we pay. If you can charge fees to people for traffic violation other than the fines, whats next? And using the money for what other purposes?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: September 05, 2007 12:41PM

just move to Front Royal if you dont like the fines.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.