HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
MIN WAGE
Posted by: C ()
Date: June 23, 2007 10:48PM

I was working at a resturant called Glory days grill as a busser. Isnt it against the law to only pay $2.13 an hour which I was getting? I worked one day 5 hours and got only $10 minus tax.

The tips were only $20-$35 on Friday and Saturday nights which I worked. And it was packed. I only worked with one other person. I did quit.

A terrible place. If it is against the law becasue of the min wage who could I report them too?

C

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MIN WAGE
Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: June 23, 2007 11:23PM

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/q-a.htm

If your $2.13/hr plus tips don't equal $5.15, your employer should pay you the difference. If you informed the employer of this issue and he refused to make up the difference, you may have an issue. (Not an attorney.)

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 23, 2007 11:30PM

No it is NOT against the law. The Minimum Wage is $5.15 an hour for "non exempt" employees. At a restaraunt, you were "exempt" because you theoretically earned tips.

$2.13 an hour is right. Your pay period tips should make up the difference. If your tips do not, then your employer is supposed to cover the difference. If your tips add up to at least $5.15 an hour, then that is what you get paid.

There is an exemption that states $2.13 an hour plus 75 cents in tips per hour also. I never really understood that law, but look it up and have great time going through it.

So add up the $2.13 hourly wage plus your tips for a pay period. If they add up to the equivalent of $5.15 an hour, then the employer is obeying the law (again Federal law). If not, then the employer is supposed to make up the difference.

If you worked at six flags, sue Danny Snyder, since he owns the place.

Date: June 23, 2007 11:37PM

That is not right though. There is no way that I only get $25 - $30 for a Friday night. Its packed somtimes and I should have been getting more.

Who can I report too?

C

Date: June 23, 2007 11:52PM

Again, it is the average of a pay period. If you fell you have been wronged, check out the department of labor at www.dol.gov

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: June 23, 2007 11:57PM

Sounds like you have a beef with the waiters -- maybe somebody wasn't giving you your fair share of tips. The job of busser is not well-known for big money. If you speak English and use a computer, you can do better, so just move on.

Date: June 24, 2007 12:06AM

The thing is the waiters dont give me the tips. The next day I get my tips from the Manager which does not seem right. They could take money out of how much they wont.

Date: June 24, 2007 12:27AM

The Federal Government (Department of Labor) is not going intervene on what is fair. They will intervene if you are not making an average of $5.15/hour.

The concept of "fair" is subjective. If you make at least $5.15, then that is fair, as far as they concerned.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: June 24, 2007 08:16AM

Hey, who's making you work there anyway. Just find another job and quit if you think your pay is unfair.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: June 24, 2007 12:49PM

C,

Here is the skinny because I don't think you are understanding the math...

Tipshare is usually around 5% (atleast it was the last time I waited tables) That means that even if it was a busy night and you had 7 servers working and each one had $100 in tips you would only get $5 from each one giving you your $35.

If you worked at min Wage for 5 hours you would expect to earn $25.75 before taxes, at $2.13/hr it would be $10.75 before taxes. The difference between the two is $15.10 which means that over the 5 hours you would need to avg $3.02/hr in tips.

Now we factor in Tips...if you made $35 for the 5 hours that you worked that avg $7/hr and when you add that to the $2.13/hr then in theory you were earning $9.13/hr which is well above min wage.

Your paycheck is only required to show your hourly earnings, hence the $10 paycheck and your tipshare is paid out in cash which YOU are then required to report on you taxes.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: June 24, 2007 04:19PM

I like Glory Days. I'm kind of surprised a successful, locally owned chain would pay like this. From my experience, when you pay your people like shit, they provide shitty service - which results in your business doing shitty.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 24, 2007 04:23PM

ehh, ive had some shitty service at glory days. mostly good, but more than once or twice its been bad.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: June 25, 2007 09:57AM

The service may be bad, but the Mac N Cheese ROCKS!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 25, 2007 06:05PM

> ehh, ive had some shitty service at glory days. mostly good, but more than once or twice its been bad.

I've eaten at the Pan Am location twice in the past month and the service was above average both times (cute friendly waitresses that were on the ball).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.