HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Earthquake?!? [July 16, 2010]
Posted by: dude ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:13AM

So who felt the rumbling a few minutes ago??? What the hell? Last time I checked I was livinig in Fairfax County, not Los Angeles... That was odd...

edit by Cary (the admin): This thread is in reference to the earthquake that occurred on July 16th 2010. For information on the earthquake that occurred in Virginia on August 23rd 2011 please click here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 03:27PM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Earthquake?!?
Posted by: dude ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:26AM

magnitude 3.6 earthquake epicenter Germantown, MD.

Felt like a mack truck rolling through the neighborhood. So odd...is it 2012 yet?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010yua6.php

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:35AM

I thought my water heater exploded at first - rocked Burke for a few seconds.

Posted by: Dumbo ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:09AM

Most washingtonians are idiots as usual this morning. We get 1 inch of snow everyone panics here. We get a mild 3.6 earthquake people panic like the world is coming to an end. Get over it people. This is how the earth operates!!!

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:18AM

I'm missing the panic - what happened where you were that was panic?

Posted by: Bacon ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:30AM

Felt it in Chantilly while I was in the bathroom. Thought it was a dumptruck or Fairfax Connector bus flying down the street.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:43AM

Definitely thought it was my neighbors being loud

Posted by: rocking in the morning ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:58AM

Felt it here in Herndon, Thought I was dreaming it was a low flying jet from Dulles.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:02AM

Felt nothing!

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:07AM

Centreville: the noise of our windows rattling woke me up at about 5:05... my first thought was "damn, I fell asleep in my reading chair again" and I headed for bed. Then I met the wife coming downstairs and she said "that was an earthquake." Our panic was so great we both went to bed and fell asleep again...

Date: July 16, 2010 07:08AM

dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> magnitude 3.6 earthquake epicenter Germantown,
> MD.
>

But what does this do to traffic on Father Hurley Blvd? Maybe Lisa Baden has the answer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Typical Dad ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:50AM

I just thought it was the kids and went back to sleep...

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:58AM

I was awake but didn't even know it happened. I was so concerned with my window tint I didn't have time to fear anything else.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:58AM

Fairfax --
Woke me up... woke up later thinking i had dreamt it.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:09AM

WingNut Wrote:
> Felt nothing!

That's what she said....

Posted by: mgnut ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:09AM

Felt it in Clifton. Sounded like a 50mph wind hitting the house during winter... then it vibrated the house a little and then it sounded like a military jet hitting the afterburners.

First one I've felt.

Posted by: Bruke ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:15AM

Felt it in burke.

Posted by: Fairfax Circle ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:21AM

OMG the first thing I did this morning was come here to see if people were talking about it. I looked at the clock it was 5:05 I said, "What the hell was that?" to my husband and he said "I don't know, maybe an earthquake." This morning, he didn't even remember he heard it or said it.

Posted by: Earthquake ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:23AM

Posted by: Centrevillian ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:43AM

At least 15 heroin addicts were killed when Westfield High School collapsed during the earthquake.

Date: July 16, 2010 08:48AM

Litsa's on the move!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:52AM

Earthquake Wrote over three hours after the event:
> It WAS an earthquake:
>
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010yua6.php

Wow thanks for the update! I thought all of the news reports and postings here were totally bogus like all the other posts here and all that crap on television.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 08:53AM by pgens.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:57AM

i was wondering what that was.

i had my headphones on and thought "what the hell is that," heard the rumbling and thought, "thunder? maybe... or just another military aircraft flying over." yes, they do that on occasion and no, you dont have to be off your meds to hear 'em. ;D

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 16, 2010 08:58AM

pgens Wrote:
> Earthquake Wrote over three hours after the
> event:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It WAS an earthquake:
> >
> >
> http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww
> /Quakes/us2010yua6.php
>
>
> Wow thanks for the update! I thought all of the
> news reports and postings here were totally bogus
> like all the other posts here and all that crap on
> television.

Jesus! JFK's been shot!!!

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/guernseys_auction/15125/0489_1_lg.jpg

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 16, 2010 10:05AM

3.6? Who cares...

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 16, 2010 10:12AM

I was up, but didn't notice anything.

Has anyone checked to see if it did the job for FCPS and knocked down Clifton ES??

Date: July 16, 2010 10:41AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> 3.6? Who cares...

Shit, yeah. Let's get back to what's important!

Hot or Not...Geneviève Bujold, star of the 1974 blockbuster "Earthquake" (In Sensaround).

EQ34.jpg

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 16, 2010 10:49AM

It's wild, because the previous two times we had Earthquakes around here that everyone was always talking about, I had never felt them. This time though, holy shit. (When I was a little kid, I was actually in an Earthquake out in Walnut Creek, CA, but I can't recall it very well).

I was sitting on the couch watching TWC, and I started hearing this rumbling noise approaching from the NNW. I figured that it was an early morning low-flyer from IAD (Dulles), but suddenly the roar became extremely loud, and my whole house started shaking. The windows began stirring, and the dishes and glasses all throughout the kitchen started rattling like mad. I sat there frozen, and I quite literally expected a giant cargo jet to come crashing into my house, or to at the very least witness a massive jet hitting the tree-tops in my backyard (I've been buzzed by a C-130 Hercules on final approach before, and this sounded far more intense and violent than that). I thought: "Well, something is going to blow up", and I was waiting to see what happened.

Then when it all finally dissipated about 5-10 seconds later, it still took me an extra moment to gather the nerve to walk to the door and look outside. I really didn't know what the hell to expect, and I was pretty damn nervous. Finally managing to look outside and not hearing any explosion, the only other explanation that came to mind was an Earthquake, and that proposition had me kind of excited. I checked with the USGS, and they didn't have it registered yet, but TWC then reported on it, and I went from being in a total mind-set of "WTF", to complete fascination.

Both of my dogs on the first floor were quiet in their habitats, but they had their heads laying flat on the floor (The husky had her head inbetween her front paws). The Jack Russell was on the second floor, and she became alert and woke up a family member, and she remained vigilant and agitated for the rest of the morning.

I was reading some other accounts as well, and apparently one guy was out on the shores of the Potomac in Loudoun Co., and he actually felt the ground move up-and-down beneath his feet, in three distinct waves. Another individual from California even said that this was an extremely loud 'quake for being a 3.6 on the Richter. Another guy said that his door started shaking violently, and he thought that it was straight possessed at first lol.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: CES Still Standing! ()
Date: July 16, 2010 11:12AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> I was up, but didn't notice anything.
>
> Has anyone checked to see if it did the job for
> FCPS and knocked down Clifton ES??

It's STILL STANDING!! Imagine that. After all the claims from FCPS of how "unsafe" the building is, you'd have thought for sure it was reduced to rubble after the quake this morning.

Posted by: William ()
Date: July 16, 2010 11:33AM

Slept right through it. When I saw the story on the news I quickly ran to Giant and bought plenty of milk and tp.

Posted by: William ()
Date: July 16, 2010 11:46AM

Then I drove to work with my hazzard lights on but before I got there I abandoned my car in the middle of the road and walked the rest of the way.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: July 16, 2010 12:17PM

WingNut Wrote:
> Felt nothing!

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: July 16, 2010 12:19PM

It woke me up. It went a little something like this:

"WTF is going on here? Is that a big truck going by or something? Wait that's not likely I live in a townhouse court. Wait, whoah was that an earthquake?" *checks time* "Five AM? Shit. Well I guess it was an earthquake. I'll check in the morning." *goes back to sleep*

In retrospect I probably should have gotten up to make sure it wasn't something more immediately dangerous.

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: July 16, 2010 12:20PM

William Wrote:
> Then I drove to work with my hazzard lights on but
> before I got there I abandoned my car in the
> middle of the road and walked the rest of the way.

lololololololol

Posted by: Skyliner ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:40PM

Didn't feel a thing on the Falls Church/Alexandria border. I had only been asleep for about an hour or so, and it didn't wake me or anything. If I hadn't read about it would never have known anything happened.

Posted by: aif ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:42PM

I done runned outta my house when it started shakin. Thought it might be the Rapture or some kids with their rap songs playin. Either way, I was armed in Fairfax.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:45PM

Wake me up when a 5.5 hits, then I might start to care....

Posted by: Quake III Fairfax ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:49PM

Damn the original poster was really on the ball with this one. I felt it around 5:10am here in 22033 by Fair Oaks Mall. Rattled the Windows on the house for just a few seconds. Thought it was a massive jet flyover (Dulles is right there) but when I opened the window nothing was in the sky. Crazy!

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:52PM

aif Wrote:
> Thought it might be the Rapture or some
> kids with their rap songs playin.

or both[/krs-one reference]

Posted by: SHaZbOt ()
Date: July 16, 2010 04:10PM

This is probably the most pertinent topic ever discussed on fairfaxUNDERGROUND!

Posted by: kaia ()
Date: July 16, 2010 05:47PM

Centreville: It woke me up briefly. I thought it was someone or something banging or dropping on my house. I went back to sleep and heard the same sound again, which I dismissed. I later learned that there had been an earthquake in Germantown, but did not connect the two until someone said that the quake could be felt as far away as West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: July 16, 2010 06:30PM

According to an european study, the best place to go in your house during a quake/tremor, is in the upper floor bathtub. It showed when the quake shakes down the house, the plumbing is normally left intact. Maybe the toliet is another good place to be. Also when a ground crack is chasing you or your car, never run straight from it because it will catch you.

I ain't making this shit up. I used to work/live in Athens Greece and the ground shook more than California and reason to never go near the Parthenon and California.

Now in Japan during a quake, the Japanese just think gojira aka godzilla is just stomping around in the hood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Cleveland ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:28PM

dika-dika Wrote:
> According to an european study, the best place to
> go in your house during a quake/tremor, is in the
> upper floor bathtub. It showed when the quake
> shakes down the house, the plumbing is normally
> left intact. Maybe the toliet is another good
> place to be.

Yeah, OK.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:20PM

Dumbo Wrote:
> Most washingtonians are idiots as usual this
> morning. We get 1 inch of snow everyone panics
> here. We get a mild 3.6 earthquake people panic
> like the world is coming to an end. Get over it
> people. This is how the earth operates!!!

hey dicknose, did you see anyone flipping out and running through the streets naked?

Posted by: She DeviI ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:57PM

felt it in my twat

Posted by: MB ()
Date: July 17, 2010 12:14AM

Alexandria -

Heard it, then felt it. All the windows were shaking.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: July 17, 2010 12:30AM

It was 5 o'clock AM and I decided to go to bed. I was too lazy to go up stairs to bed, so I grabbed a spongebob doll as a pillow and laid on my back on the floor. About a minute or so later @5:05am, I thought I heard a Military jet hitting the afterburners for about 15 seconds. I remember thinking, damn, because the whole concrete basement floor was moving up and down and I was starting to wonder if what I was experiencing was an earthquake. Then I heard the LOUDEST BOOM I have ever heard before in my life and naturally assumed it was a sonic-boom from fast flying aircraft, and then the rumbling stopped. Then I went over to the window to see if I could see any aircraft lights but there was none. I quickly ruled out the aircraft possiblity and knew for sure it was an earth quake because after it happend, the whole house was making creeking noises for a couple seconds.

I could feel the shockwave from the bang in my chest. I did a little bit of research and found out that my house is not on bedrock. Rather it is a filled in area, and houses that are not on solid bedrock feel the effects of an earthquake much more apparently.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: teri huttle ()
Date: July 17, 2010 01:05AM

i think i was in the shower then... i didnt feel anything

Posted by: Simpleton ()
Date: July 17, 2010 08:11AM

I called 9-1-1 several times. I don't know why I called 9-1-1, but thousands of others did too. I guess we wanted someone to turn off the earthquake.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 17, 2010 10:29AM

dika-dika Wrote:
> According to an european study, the best place to
> go in your house during a quake/tremor, is in the
> upper floor bathtub. It showed when the quake
> shakes down the house, the plumbing is normally
> left intact. Maybe the toliet is another good
> place to be.

Maybe if the plumbing is cast iron or copper, but I'm not sure that PVC shit they use in today's houses is going to hold up anything. I'd be interested to see if anybody has studied that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 10:30AM by Warhawk.

Posted by: OMFG ()
Date: August 23, 2011 06:24PM

dude Wrote:
> So who felt the rumbling a few minutes ago???
> What the hell? Last time I checked I was livinig
> in Fairfax County, not Los Angeles... That was
> odd...

Dude. Like yah. Oh my gosh!

Posted by: Why Dig? ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:15PM

OMFG Wrote:
> dude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So who felt the rumbling a few minutes ago???
> > What the hell? Last time I checked I was
> livinig
> > in Fairfax County, not Los Angeles... That was
> > odd...
>
> Dude. Like yah. Oh my gosh!

Why did you dig up a thread from over a year ago about a completely different earthquake?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.