HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Gym in Nova
Posted by: osmosis11 ()
Date: July 13, 2010 05:51PM

I was wondering joining a gym around the northern virginia area. Can someone please tell me the cheapest gym or the reasonable priced gym that fits every average joes here. All I know is Ballys sucks, or am I wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Gym in Nova
Posted by: always ()
Date: July 13, 2010 05:57PM

The one in the background here is good.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: July 13, 2010 07:04PM

osmosis11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering joining a gym around the northern
> virginia area. Can someone please tell me the
> cheapest gym or the reasonable priced gym that
> fits every average joes here. All I know is Ballys
> sucks, or am I wrong?

You're right. I was a member of Ballys until I moved here, and the one in Loehmanns Plaza is a dump.

One step up from ghetto Ballys is Fitness First, which is reasonably priced. You'll find flat Bosu balls and trashed rest rooms that sometimes lack paper towels - and the free weight area is packed during the evenings. If you go in the morning or during the day it's a pretty good option.

The facilities at Mason are nice, but pricey if you are not a student or employee, plus parking sucks when classes are in session.

There are a bunch of other options, but those are the ones I am familiar with.

Posted by: wtfno ()
Date: July 13, 2010 07:27PM

Sorry, this area has a choice of shitty gyms.

Bally's -- No.

Gold's -- No.

XSport -- XSport isn't bad. Merrifield location is nice, but.. it's Merrifield. Rumor mill says a location will open in Fairfax.

WSC -- Overpriced.

Lifetime -- It's been a while since I've been in the one at Fairfax. Crowded and full of Asians.

World Gym -- No. Ghetto.

Equinox -- If you shit $20 bills, join this one.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: July 13, 2010 07:35PM

wtfno Wrote:

> Lifetime -- It's been a while since I've been in
> the one at Fairfax. Crowded and full of Asians.

Totally. There used to be so many hot chicks at that gym 2 years ago and farther back. The summers were the best. Now it's all asians or old ladies.

Posted by: Collin ()
Date: July 13, 2010 08:07PM

Fitness First. Access to 17 clubs in the DC area. I work there. Let me know if you wanted to try it out.

Posted by: classic_golds ()
Date: July 13, 2010 08:20PM

All of us at Chantilly Golds refer to Fitness First as Fitness Last (or at least the one in Chantilly)

Chantilly Golds is nice and reasonable. They have a cardio movie theater room that's nice too. Plenty of cardio equipment, TVs, free weights, auxiliary equipment, trainers, etc, etc.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 13, 2010 08:37PM

Sport and Health, at least the Reston one, is my gym of choice. I still can't find another gym that I've been to throughout the U.S., that I enjoy as much. It has a nice, wide open layout, none of that confined small-room garbage with dark hallways. Also, if you go there often enough, you start meeting a lot of cool people (I used to have friends who worked there and hooked me up, but that was years ago).

Other than that, I've only ever been to two Bally's, and the one I really liked was in the Bahamas (It's extremely clean, full of equipment, nice people, and has a second story ocean view). In Florida, I tried a Bally's, a Gold's Gym, and this local family owned joint. At the Gold's I ran into some psycho who kept hassling me about some weights I left on a bar (Even though someone else was using it), and I only went one time because they wanted to charge us for more visits (They said we were ineligible for the free week pass, because we were out-of-state). The Bally's was fun, and we had a two week free pass. The local joint was expensive for each visit, but it had a great location, was in pristine condition, never crowded, and the folks there were cool.

Basically, try a few gyms for free, or for a minimal individual rate once or twice, and then make a final decision. I say go for Reston Sport and Health, or one of the others (They have locations in Worldgate, and McLean too). Also, my friend uses Olympus Gym in Sterling, and he seems to like it.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Lauren ()
Date: July 13, 2010 08:50PM

Worldgate Sport and Health in Herndon. Without a question.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: July 13, 2010 09:03PM

I would tell you where I go but the gym is already a little crowded and I don't want the rest of the internet there. I will say this, somebody got it correct.

Posted by: XF ()
Date: July 14, 2010 07:25PM

Try one of the crossfit gyms. The Fairfax one is pretty nice, plus you get in much better shape and it's a lot more fun.

Re: Best Lich in Nova
Posted by: Disclaimer! or Enhances? ()
Date: July 14, 2010 08:01PM

Can you get a membership to George Mason's gym in ffx? My company purchases membership for us at the Freedom Center (in Manasshole) and there are 400 girls there i want to 69

Posted by: grone777 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 04:54PM

the best gym is where a lot of hot women workout

Posted by: LoveCupid ()
Date: July 17, 2010 05:35AM

I'll trade you valid membership with your info on it for your pass for Freedom. No bs.

Re: Best Gym in Nova -XSport coming to Fairfax????
Posted by: JennyY ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:21PM

Can you elaborate on the "Rumor mill says a location will open in Fairfax. "?

Any idea when and where?

wtfno Wrote:
> Sorry, this area has a choice of shitty gyms.
>
> Bally's -- No.
>
> Gold's -- No.
>
> XSport -- XSport isn't bad. Merrifield location is
> nice, but.. it's Merrifield. Rumor mill says a
> location will open in Fairfax.
>
> WSC -- Overpriced.
>
> Lifetime -- It's been a while since I've been in
> the one at Fairfax. Crowded and full of Asians.
>
> World Gym -- No. Ghetto.
>
> Equinox -- If you shit $20 bills, join this one.

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: July 20, 2010 02:46PM

Check out Anytime Fitness. It's cheap, you have access to any location in the US, and it's open 24/7.

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:46PM

"full of Asians"? That's why you won't go there? What the fuck is wrong with you? And what the fuck is wrong with the rest of you that you don't call this out?

I just found this board today and it's full of the biggest group of idiots I've come across in a long time. You should all go crawl back into the holes you live in.

Posted by: Tigerstyle ()
Date: July 20, 2010 04:37PM

Shut up chinkyboo. Asians are annoying at the gym, you always have tiny groups of them chattering away in Chingchong and at least 5 old Miagi's doing Tai Chi Lattes in between the benches.

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:23PM

Sad Wrote:
> "full of Asians"? That's why you won't go there?
> What the fuck is wrong with you? And what the fuck
> is wrong with the rest of you that you don't call
> this out?
>
> I just found this board today and it's full of the
> biggest group of idiots I've come across in a long
> time. You should all go crawl back into the holes
> you live in.
Attachments:
button4.bmp

Posted by: right@sad ()
Date: July 20, 2010 11:11PM

Sad,
if you actually take any of the stuff on this site personally or believe that the majority of people who post it aren't trying to suck newbies in and piss them off, then you haven't been here long enough to 'get it'.

this site has tons of people posting crude rude racist etc shiznit that you should not take to heart! most of it is fake to get suckas like you to bite.

Posted by: Alison ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:13PM

Underground Athlete hands down!

Posted by: x ()
Date: September 28, 2011 04:07PM

XSport is opening up in Fairfax next to the Burlington Coat Factory across from where Circuit City used to be. They have a membership office set up next to the ABC store

Posted by: dont listen to me ()
Date: November 02, 2011 09:57PM

check out powerhouse gym woodbridge, got a membership 16/month with no initiation fee. its an old school gym but it has everything you need with 3 floors

Posted by: Dave ()
Date: January 11, 2012 01:45PM

La Fitness that pulled a shitty move on Ballys members, they bought Bally here in VA and MD and did not let anyone know, so if you bought a membership from Ballys in a State like I did that did not get bought out, you basically do not have a gym anymore, and I bought I life time membership from Ballys, it sucks

Posted by: hey rube ()
Date: January 11, 2012 02:02PM

If you want to get strong and fast, then there's only one choice:

http://www.crossfit.com/

Not recommended if you're:
- Not committed to very hard work
- More interested in looking good, rather than getting strong and fast
- Think that clean and well-lit with lots of ferns and mirrors are important factors in choice of gym.

NOVA:
Reston: http://www.crossfitreston.com/
Fairfax: http://www.crossfitfairfax.com/

Posted by: VV ()
Date: January 27, 2012 02:57PM

Your attitude is awful. People work out to get in shape and feel good. You guys are just looking for "eye candy" and are spewing racism and agism left and right. Trust me the "old ladies" and "Asians" aren't pleased with your arrogant energy. Get a life.

Posted by: where is the love ()
Date: January 27, 2012 06:05PM

No love for Olympus Gym? A bowflex and a creaky ceiling fan, what more do you need?

Posted by: jerky offy ()
Date: January 27, 2012 07:27PM

Spa World?

Posted by: fashisaz ()
Date: January 29, 2012 05:32PM

They opened the new Xsport where the Circuit City was near "Kamp Washington"
The intersection of Lee Hwy and Route 50 in Fairfax.
Its right across the Burlington Coat Factory store.
I love it a lot.
Not too busy, and has everything you need.

Posted by: arrorgant kenyan 2012 ()
Date: January 30, 2012 08:08PM

I joined the Planet Fitness in Falls Church and quit right after I saw feces in the shower area.

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: January 31, 2012 05:20PM

Nauti Body Fitness Center in Springfield.

Posted by: tdubnewuser ()
Date: January 31, 2012 07:39PM

Xsports opened in early January. 24 hours a day - every day. Monthly rate under $40 per person.

Posted by: Looking ()
Date: January 31, 2012 08:23PM

Does both Xsports in the area have a pool?

Posted by: Jea ()
Date: January 31, 2012 08:54PM

Yes all xsports have pools, the one is fairfax is a thin two-laner primarily just for swimming. They also have a hot tub full of hot babes and hairy oversized middle aged pervs.

Posted by: Looking ()
Date: January 31, 2012 08:57PM

If the pools are open 24 hours like the rest of the gym, going late at night might be best.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: January 31, 2012 09:27PM

wtfno Wrote:
>
> Equinox -- If you shit $20 bills, join this one.

My boyfriend used to have a membership there and really liked it. I will question him about his bowel movements.

Posted by: masonrulz ()
Date: February 02, 2012 03:02AM

George Mason's Aquatic and Fitness Center is so much better than anything else the area has to offer. It's expensive, but I get in there for free!

Re: Best Gym in Nova -XSport coming to Fairfax????
Posted by: Need A Gym ()
Date: February 03, 2012 05:07PM

At Xsports can you pay your membership fees directly from a savings account or do I need a checking account?

Re: Best Lich in Nova
Posted by: BG ()
Date: February 03, 2012 09:27PM

Disclaimer! or Enhances? Wrote:
> Can you get a membership to George Mason's gym in
> ffx? My company purchases membership for us at the
> Freedom Center (in Manasshole) and there are 400
> girls there i want to 69

Yeah, but it's not cheap. $75/mo or $750/yr if you're not afilliated w/ the univeristy (student, staff, alumni). The best place in my opinion is XSport in Fairfax. I pay $33.50 per month, they have a (small) lap pool, hot tub, steam room, saunas, and lots of equipment - I like that all the cardio equipment has individual TVs. Plus they're open 24/7 (the pool is 5a-midnight). I was at Lifetime, but they're ridiculously expensive, and the final straw for me was an buck-naked old asian man using the hair dryer to blow dry his junk. Ugh...

Posted by: crossfit ffx = fucking expensive ()
Date: February 03, 2012 11:38PM

Cross fit in Fairfax is supose to be good but damn they are pricey

"Thanks for contacting us. I'm happy to hear you are interested in working out with us. Our workouts are fast-paced and of high-intensity and they focus on all ten components of optimal physical fitness: endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy. We train a wide variety of people of all ages and fitness. A wonderful thing about Crossfit is that is scalable for all levels. Meaning, we can put you through the same workout as everyone else, it's just the exercises and loads might be different till your body adapts to the training. It is our responsibility to keep you safe, and make sure you are not working beyond your abilities. That being said, you will be blown away at how fast your body will adapt to the workouts.

If you would like to try a class, you are more than welcome to attend any of our classes on Saturdays, you don't have to have any previous CrossFit experience to try this class. Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the class you want to attend starts so you can fill out a waiver.

If you are interested in joining us, the first step is taking our Getting Started Class. This 3-hour class is designed to teach you the fundamental movements and exercises that will be needed to safely perform workouts. The cost of this class is $100. Please check online for the dates and times of our upcoming classes.

After you have completed this class, then you can select from any of our packages/programs. We offer week trials and unlimited monthly training. With unlimited training the client can come everyday of the week if they want to and you can train at any of our boxes (Fairfax and Reston). Think of our gym as a membership with personal training included. You don't need to sign up for a class, just arrive 5 to 10 minutes before the class starts so you can warm up and are ready to go. We allow 30 minutes for the class, but the workout itself usually last 10 to 20 minutes (depending on what has been programmed that day). Before the class starts the workout, the coaches will spend 5 to 10 minutes going over the movements and making sure you feel comfortable with the exercise or the weight.

Our most popular membership is the Unlimited monthly training (silver membership). A 12-month commitment runs for $150/month, a 6-month commitment runs for $170/month, and a 3-month commitment runs for $200 a month. This is less expensive than other CF Affiliates in the area, and you going to be with the best trainers in the area. The owners, JeffT and Maggie, are part of the CF Headquarters Certification Training Staff. If you don't want to sign a contract, our month-to-month membership runs for $210. We also offer a 3-times a week membership for $135/month, 2-times a week for $100 and once a week for $60. If CrossFit is going to be your main strength and conditioning training, in order to benefit of the program we recommend at least 4 times a week. However, if it's going to be supplemental to another activity then we recommend 3 times a week.

You are more than welcome to stop by our facilities any time we are open to check us out and get any additional information. Any of our coaches will be glad to talk to you.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Best,
Julie Furneisen
Crossfit Fairfax "

Posted by: Bdot ()
Date: February 06, 2012 09:47AM

I'm a member at equinox and it is a bit pricey but it's very clean and private.
But the gym is small and compact.

Posted by: Andy GETATMEBRO lol ()
Date: February 10, 2012 10:40AM

man.....FUCK THE WEIGHTS, FUCK THE TIGHT SPACES, FUCK THE CROWDED PARKING SPACES, FUCK THE ASIANS, FUCK THE PRICES, FUCK ALL THE PPL THAT GOT THEIR FEELING HURT lol........all i wanna know is...WHERE ARE ALL THE HOT CHICKS AT!!?

if your gym has A BUNCH OF HOT WOMEN PLEASE let me know.

i spent nov-january getting in shape...now its time to SHOW IT OFF!

Posted by: bobafeet ()
Date: February 10, 2012 10:48AM

xfit is the way to go but its so fucking expensive

Posted by: crossfit ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:58PM

crossfit is for weak pansy ass fags.

lift some real weight.

Posted by: Day Laborers Don't need No Pussy Gym ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:22PM

Health Clubs are for pussies.

Posted by: hot yoga ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:28PM

The best gym in Nova in my opinion is dog down yoga. Of course, its only a yoga studio, but yoga is a fantastic workout and there is plenty of eye candy.

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:45AM

My favorite is TITLE Boxing Club in Springfield VA. It has free weights, cardio machines and cables, but most importantly it has tons of boxing/kickboxing classes using heavy bags. I have gotten in the best shape of my life by taking these classes. The workouts are intense, but fun because boxing is an awesome way to get a workout! I love that it offers crossfit style intensity but at a fraction of the cost.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: January 15, 2013 11:05AM

Day laborers sites are to people in the 21st century what gyms were to people in the 80's. I read it in a magazine.

Posted by: Not Cross ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:20PM

Stay away from crossfit, its a cult and a fad, wont be around in 5 years. If you dont have a good base and can do complex olympic lifts, you are gonna end up with getting injured, the Level 1 cert is a joke. 150 a month for a 10-20 min work out? WTF

Posted by: The Truth About Gyms ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:25PM

Planet Fitness is great for $10/month. Machines/weights/showers is all I really need and it is a great deal. They also have pizza Monday's which I know is counterintuitive for a gym, but dinner there pays for the membership by itself.

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:33PM

Notice Fitness Evolution opening up around tow. $10/mo. No contract. So it says on their Sterling grand opening announcement. They took over the old WSC space.

Posted by: ZOONY ()
Date: January 15, 2013 11:06PM

YMCA Reston

Posted by: JULIO1 ()
Date: January 15, 2013 11:23PM

Golds in burke has alot of sweet young pussy working out and it always smells sexy

Posted by: 65Pony ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:22AM

Forget the Golds in Lorton; rudest staff, ignore their patrons completely. Bunch of narcissitic, blow up doll instructors. You know who you are. I had a Metro pass for several years, and the Lorton Golds is the worst. Went there nearly every day for several years, never bothered to learn my name or say hello. Golds Chantilly is good, except difficult to get to. Golds Tysons must have the smallest locker room other than the one in my house. Golds Alexandria is the best of the ones I have been to. Golds Burke does have some good looking GMU girls as regulars.

Posted by: Female Gymrat ()
Date: February 15, 2013 02:23AM

I've been going to the Lorton Golds for 4 years and think the gym has the best mix of staff and members of any place I've lifted in the Nova area. Front desk people were greeting me by name each time I came in by the end of my first week. Couldn't tell you a thing about the group instructors since I don't do classes, but all the trainers there are pretty cool.

Posted by: Golds is Aight ()
Date: February 15, 2013 08:50AM

Been a member of Gold's for years. Haven't been to the Lorton or Merrifield locations, but I can tell you that the difference between Chantilly and Tysons are like night and day.

Chantilly is definitely newer and bigger. It also has hot chicks and milfs, where Tysons has almost none. Tysons caters primarily to weirdos. Anyone else see the naked guy in the locker room wrapping boxes of chocolates?

The downside is that Chantilly sucks ass when it comes to maintaining the facility. There are always broken and wobbly benches and the men's locker room always looks like it should be condemned. The trainers are skeezy as fuck too - the male trainers only train female clients and its beyond obvious.

As far as location - pick your poison. Rt. 7 & 123 or Rt. 50 & 28. Both suck a fat one.

I'm the skinny guy with the tube socks checking out all the luscious female asses on the cardio machine. Holla if you see me, bitchez.

Posted by: Old Gym Lady ()
Date: July 07, 2014 01:47PM

So I'm looking here to get ideas for a gym membership for my son for his birthday and I am reminded of the Good Old Days when there were Men's workout days and Ladies' workout days. You didn't have put up with men with two heads that come to look at ladies work out and bitch about "old" ladies working out (the nerve of them!). We truly have lost our dignity.

Newsflash: It's not a meat market - it's a gym! If you're in the mood to look at women, just go to your computer in the privacy of your basement and look at the pictures. It's private AND safe!

Posted by: Cnkkcv ()
Date: July 07, 2014 01:54PM

I use the free one at my office. It's brand new and better than all the public ones.

Posted by: blast from the past ()
Date: July 08, 2014 09:35AM

always Wrote:
> The one in the background here is good.
>
>

OMG i remember when i made that pic, well by made got it ouff the internet and put the captions on it! Sweet.

Whateva happened to Trebor? time for a revival?

Posted by: hot chicks ()
Date: July 08, 2014 09:40AM

moved into a top end apartment building in DC with a huge gym, there is only ever 5 people max in there, and 80% of them are fine, fine chicks. and, its free!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.