HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where Can I Sell an Engagement Ring
Posted by: HeartbreakKId ()
Date: June 26, 2010 06:21PM

Long story short. Relationship didn't work out and now I am stuck with this ring. Anyone know of any fair and decent shops I could possibly sell this thing at and not get fucked? I am well aware I will probably not get 50% of what I paid for back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where Can I Sell an Engagement Ring
Posted by: The Man ()
Date: June 26, 2010 07:04PM

I would find a shop that buys loose stones... I saw a sign that the jewelers next to King Kabob in old town ffx buys stones.. Good luck

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: June 26, 2010 07:35PM

I know a guy named Vinny that buys jewelery - no questions asked

Posted by: dumbass ()
Date: June 26, 2010 08:53PM

Just find another girl and in a haste, ask her to marry you. just like last time.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: June 26, 2010 09:22PM

And how much is half price? And do you have the receipt? PM me if you are serious

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 26, 2010 09:26PM

Vince, what could you possibly need this for?

Blessed are the murderous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 09:26PM by eesh.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 26, 2010 09:45PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince, what could you possibly need this for?

He's got to pay some coyote to bring more illegals over the border.

Posted by: hope it's worth a lot ()
Date: June 27, 2010 11:09AM

Well, yes, since the mark up on jewelry at retailers is about 50%---you might get 50% for the ring (it's true value). But you will probably get less since buyer cannot choose the style (same as furniture---you pay for choice).

Good luck.

People----we are in a recession. Don't buy items that do not generate productivity in the good old USA. A ring that is not mined or made in the US and that cannot cut wood or something else for export is a crappy way to spend money.

Posted by: smurf ()
Date: June 27, 2010 01:08PM

do you have a receipt and How much would you want. Im kind of broke. My wife never got one because I wasnt even sure it would have lasted. We've been together 10 years. Maybe I can buy one after all.
Just asking.

Posted by: wedding bells ()
Date: June 27, 2010 01:25PM

HeartbreakKId Wrote:
> Long story short. Relationship didn't work out and
> now I am stuck with this ring. Anyone know of any
> fair and decent shops I could possibly sell this
> thing at and not get fucked? I am well aware I
> will probably not get 50% of what I paid for back.

talk to eesh, I'm sure he's interested...I heard he is planning on 'pooping' the question to his boyfriend, mr.mephisto!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:24PM

hope it's worth a lot Wrote:
> Well, yes, since the mark up on jewelry at
> retailers is about 50%---you might get 50% for the
> ring (it's true value). But you will probably get
> less since buyer cannot choose the style (same as
> furniture---you pay for choice).
>
> Good luck.
>
> People----we are in a recession. Don't buy items
> that do not generate productivity in the good old
> USA. A ring that is not mined or made in the US
> and that cannot cut wood or something else for
> export is a crappy way to spend money.

While there may be a 50% mark up dont expect to get that money back. You may get what the gold is worth, but if it is a diamond - the diamond is worth practicaly nothing.

Diamonds are nothing more than a piece of coal. The are not rare or unusual. A "used" diamond has almost no value in the marketplace.

Maybe you could sell it on craigslist or ebay.

Take any diamond ring to an appraiser. He will say "replacement cost is $5000" then you say "great I will take half that in cash, thank you." The appraiser will refuse. Bargain down to $2000, $1500. $1000 and the appraiser will still not buy the diamond from you. The diamond is worthless.

While you can buy gold, platinum, and precious stones "invetment grade", there is absolutely no such "investment grade" status for diamonds. Why? Well if you havent figured it out by now, a Diamond is worthless.

I hope we all learned something from this.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:49PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Well if you havent figured it out by now, a
> Diamond is worthless.
>
>
> I hope we all learned something from this.

Don't get engaged?

Posted by: Radiotard ()
Date: June 27, 2010 03:51PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> hope it's worth a lot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, yes, since the mark up on jewelry at
> > retailers is about 50%---you might get 50% for
> the
> > ring (it's true value). But you will probably
> get
> > less since buyer cannot choose the style (same
> as
> > furniture---you pay for choice).
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > People----we are in a recession. Don't buy
> items
> > that do not generate productivity in the good
> old
> > USA. A ring that is not mined or made in the
> US
> > and that cannot cut wood or something else for
> > export is a crappy way to spend money.
>
> While there may be a 50% mark up dont expect to
> get that money back. You may get what the gold is
> worth, but if it is a diamond - the diamond is
> worth practicaly nothing.
>
> Diamonds are nothing more than a piece of coal.
> The are not rare or unusual. A "used" diamond has
> almost no value in the marketplace.
>
> Maybe you could sell it on craigslist or ebay.
>
> Take any diamond ring to an appraiser. He will say
> "replacement cost is $5000" then you say "great I
> will take half that in cash, thank you." The
> appraiser will refuse. Bargain down to $2000,
> $1500. $1000 and the appraiser will still not buy
> the diamond from you. The diamond is worthless.
>
> While you can buy gold, platinum, and precious
> stones "invetment grade", there is absolutely no
> such "investment grade" status for diamonds. Why?
> Well if you havent figured it out by now,
> a Diamond is worthless.
Attachments:
retard.jpg

Date: June 27, 2010 03:55PM

pgens Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> -----
> > Well if you havent figured it out by now, a
> > Diamond is worthless.
> >
> >
> > I hope we all learned something from this.
>
> Don't get engaged?

No...Radiophile is an idiot.

Date: June 27, 2010 04:00PM

Radiotard Wrote:
> pgens Wrote:
> -----
> > Radiophile Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well if you havent figured it out by now, a
> > > Diamond is worthless.
> > >
> > >
> > > I hope we all learned something from this.
> >
> > Don't get engaged?
>
> No...Radiophile is an idiot.

He's actually right. Diamonds are much, much more common than rubies or emeralds. They only cost more is because of the marketing and lack of a significant number of exporters/distributers to compete with each other. If they were so damn valuable you wouldn't be buying construction tools with diamond tips.

Posted by: WartHog...another idiot ()
Date: June 27, 2010 04:09PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Radiotard Wrote:
> -----
> > pgens Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Radiophile Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Well if you havent figured it out by now, a
> > > > Diamond is worthless.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I hope we all learned something from this.
> > >
> > > Don't get engaged?
> >
> > No...Radiophile is an idiot.
>
>
>
> He's actually right. Diamonds are much, much more
> common than rubies or emeralds. They only cost
> more is because of the marketing and lack of a
> significant number of exporters/distributers to
> compete with each other. If they were so damn
> valuable you wouldn't be buying construction tools
> with diamond tips.

The reason diamond construction tool tips are inexpensive is because they use lab created diamonds. Even if they used real diamonds, the diamonds they would use on construction tool tips and record player needles awould be miniscule and at that size, inexpensive.

Date: June 27, 2010 04:35PM

Since a few of you would rather call me names then simply take 5 seconds to go to google and type in "is a diamond worthless", I will give you the answer given by Cecil Adams, the knower of all things.

Dear Cecil:

I have heard that diamond prices are held at an artificially high price by the De Beers company and that many Africans live a life of despair and poverty while mining diamonds. What is the truth about the diamond market? Most important, can I use it as an excuse for not buying diamond gifts for my wife?

— Gregg Barr, Lenexa, Kansas

Far be it from me to get involved in family arguments, but I bet if your wife knew the real story she'd prefer her next gift to be a nice socket-wrench set. Diamonds are a con, pure and simple. The topic is vast, so we won't discuss worker exploitation or for that matter "blood diamonds" used to finance African wars. Instead I'll focus on whether diamonds are worth the exorbitant sums charged for them. Answer: Of course not. Prices are kept high by a cynical cartel that preys on vanity and stupidity.

More than 20 years ago journalist Edward Jay Epstein wrote the definitive expose of the diamond business, initially published in the Atlantic Monthly in 1982 and subsequently as a book, The Rise and Fall of Diamonds. Epstein, it must be said, is a conspiracy buff, but his research on diamonds is pretty credible. His central contention is that diamonds have little inherent value; their perennially high price is solely a function of clever promotion and ruthless manipulation of the market. You ask: Isn't that true of any high-value product? Nope. Take gold, a true commodity in the sense that it's fungible, as the economists say--like quantities of gold are freely interchangeable. Gold's purity can be readily assayed and it's indestructible for practical purposes, making it a reliable store of value. Even now that the world has abandoned the gold standard, gold's price has held up well on the open market.

Not so with diamonds. Despite the hype, diamonds aren't forever; they can be damaged or destroyed. The value of diamonds varies widely depending on grade and, despite efforts at standardization, is basically arbitrary--experts often disagree sharply on the worth of a particular gem. Sure, the same can be said of paintings or other collectibles. The difference is that the world diamond market is largely controlled by a single private enterprise, the South Africa-based De Beers cartel. The geniuses behind De Beers recognized early on that a stable, profitable diamond industry depended on controlling both supply and demand. De Beers rarely discovers new sources of diamonds; rather, it focuses on controlling existing ones, limiting production, and if necessary buying up surplus gems and stockpiling them to prop up the market. It sets prices arbitrarily and cuts off supplies to dealers who buy through unauthorized channels. On the marketing side, De Beers hired advertising firms, starting with N.W. Ayer in the late 1930s, to render axiomatic the idea that diamonds = true love. De Beers and Ayer didn't invent diamond engagement rings but did rescue a fading concept--in 1932 worldwide diamond sales had been only $100,000. Ayer's ploys ranged from planting news stories about newly betrothed celebrities flaunting big rocks to positioning diamonds as heirlooms, preventing the market from being flooded with secondhand goods. (The market for used diamonds is dismal, by the way.) The campaign worked--U.S. wholesale diamond sales increased from $23 million in 1939 to $2.1 billion in 1979. The J. Walter Thompson agency performed a similar miracle in Japan in the 1960s, essentially creating a tradition of diamond engagement rings out of thin air.

Throughout all this De Beers has successfully fended off threats due to political upheaval, competing producers, and even the U.S. justice department (the firm recently paid a $10 million fine to settle an antitrust case). The big challenge today is synthetic diamonds. In a widely noted article last fall, Wired magazine reported on two start-up firms, one in Florida and the other in Boston, that had begun manufacturing gem-quality artificial diamonds. Synthetic diamonds have been available since the 1950s and are commonly used in industrial abrasives, but till now have made little headway in the gem market due to prohibitive manufacturing expense. Supposedly the new artificial diamonds, particularly those made by chemical vapor deposition (CVD), are both cheap to produce and, unlike knockoffs such as cubic zirconium, virtually indistinguishable from natural diamonds even in the lab.

So, the jig's up for De Beers, right? Maybe, maybe not. The last chapter of The Rise and Fall of Diamonds, entitled "The Coming Crash of 1983," described a scenario in which a concatenation of factors, including a flood of diamonds from new mines in Australia, would trigger "the final collapse of world diamond prices." It didn't happen (although De Beers did lose market share), and Epstein has omitted the chapter from the online version of his book. De Beers has dodged plenty of disasters in its history, and I'd hesitate to write the final pages yet.

— Cecil Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 04:35PM by Radiophile.

Date: June 27, 2010 04:57PM

No one is disputing the fact that De Beers has a strangle hold on the diamond market. Just like OPEC, they control the supply and demand of diamonds and use it to inflate market prices; in addition, their despicable involvement in 'conflict' diamonds is old news.

What I am taking issue with you about is your statement, "a diamond is worthless".
This is simply not true. Are the prices inflated and manipulated? Yes, but diamonds are not worthless, idiot.

Date: June 27, 2010 05:13PM

Radiotard Wrote:
> No one is disputing the fact that De Beers has a
> strangle hold on the diamond market. Just like
> OPEC, they control the supply and demand of
> diamonds and use it to inflate market prices; in
> addition, their despicable involvement in
> 'conflict' diamonds is old news.
>
> What I am taking issue with you about is your
> statement, "a diamond is worthless".
> This is simply not true. Are the prices inflated
> and manipulated? Yes, but diamonds are not
> worthless, idiot.

I think we are looking at from two different angles. Does it cost money to blast the diamonds out of the ground - or pick them up off the ground (if you find one and pick it up off the ground you will be jailed in South Africa)? Of course there is a cost. Shipping and marketing is also a cost. But what do you have in the end? A nearly worthless piece of coal.

Your horse shits on the ground. You scoop up the shit and sell it by the side of the road for fertilizer at $15 per 1000 pounds. Does that make the shit not worthless? Of course not. It is still shit.

Date: June 27, 2010 05:28PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Radiotard Wrote:
> -----
> > No one is disputing the fact that De Beers has
> a
> > strangle hold on the diamond market. Just like
> > OPEC, they control the supply and demand of
> > diamonds and use it to inflate market prices;
> in
> > addition, their despicable involvement in
> > 'conflict' diamonds is old news.
> >
> > What I am taking issue with you about is your
> > statement, "a diamond is worthless".
> > This is simply not true. Are the prices
> inflated
> > and manipulated? Yes, but diamonds are not
> > worthless, idiot.
>
>
> I think we are looking at from two different
> angles. Does it cost money to blast the diamonds
> out of the ground - or pick them up off the ground
> (if you find one and pick it up off the ground you
> will be jailed in South Africa)? Of course there
> is a cost. Shipping and marketing is also a cost.
> But what do you have in the end? A nearly
> worthless piece of coal.
>
> Your horse shits on the ground. You scoop up the
> shit and sell it by the side of the road for
> fertilizer at $15 per 1000 pounds. Does that make
> the shit not worthless? Of course not. It is still
> shit.

The fact that people pay thousands for them makes them not worthless. Blasting, shipping and what not adds to their non worthlessness. The fact that De Beers deals in 'conflict' diamonds which is supposed to be illegal also shows that the cost of bringing diamonds to market is constantly rising; the ban on 'conflict' diamonds has further inflated the price of diamonds. If you are going to say a commodity like diamonds is worthless, then you might as well say oil is worthless. Just because your cheap ass doesn't see a point or value to diamonds ( since you equate them to shit) doesn't mean they are not of value to the rest of the world. If you saw the same value in diamonds as in oil then you would understand. Unfortunately, your car doesn't need diamonds to run, so you don't give a fuck about them. I feel sorry for your wife; I bet she values diamonds, but your cheap ass won't buy her any because you think they are of no worth. :(

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 27, 2010 05:34PM

Radiotard Wrote:
> I feel
> sorry for your wife; I bet she values diamonds,
> but your cheap ass won't buy her any because you
> think they are of no worth. :(

Diamonds are marketed towards women for this very reason.

"A Diamond is forever" is also a marketing campaign to get people from not selling their diamonds second hand, so the market isn't saturated with used, lower cost diamonds. De Beers is the cartel of diamonds, just as OPEC is to oil.

There is no reason a person needs a diamond, other than aesthetic reasons. This is what Radiophile is talking about.

Blessed are the murderous.

Date: June 27, 2010 05:42PM

Since you obviousely did not read what Cecil said - let me give you the cliff notes version.

I bet if your wife knew the real story she'd prefer her next gift to be a nice socket-wrench set. {My wife does and owns precious stones, not diamonds. A diamond is is NOT a precious stone. It is a piece of coal}

Diamonds are a con, pure and simple. {Can he be any more clear?}

Prices are kept high by a cynical cartel that preys on vanity and stupidity.

His central contention is that diamonds have little inherent value; their perennially high price is solely a function of clever promotion and ruthless manipulation of the market.

You speak of oil. Oil has many functions. It burns and releases energy. It is a lubricant. It is even used to make those plastic bags you get at the supermarket.

Other than uses in tools and a few other niche uses, diamonds really do not have a purpose to justify any more value than a few pennies.

Posted by: ur an idiot ()
Date: June 27, 2010 06:00PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> A diamond is is NOT a precious stone.

Yes, it is, along with ruby, sapphire, and emeralds. Everything else is semi-precious

>It is a piece of coal

Yes, it was, before a billion years of pressure turned that piece of carbon into a diamond.

Date: June 27, 2010 06:10PM

OK I am wrong. Absolutley 100% wrong. I want YOU to go out and spend lots of money on diamonds and feel good about it. They are a good investment. Think about how good you will feel telling all your friends you invested in diamonds.
What could possibly go wrong, Alias?

Date: June 27, 2010 06:15PM

Radiotard Wrote:
>>
> The fact that people pay thousands for them makes
> them not worthless.

They magically become worthless the moment you walk out of the store.

Posted by: black ops ()
Date: June 27, 2010 06:28PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Radiotard Wrote:
> -----
> >>
> > The fact that people pay thousands for them
> makes
> > them not worthless.
>
> They magically become worthless the moment you
> walk out of the store.
Attachments:
conspiracy!.jpg

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: June 27, 2010 06:38PM

Radiotard Wrote:
> The fact that people pay thousands for them makes
> them not worthless.

No, the fact that people pay thousands for them means that people are fucking stupid.

De Beers says you should propose with a ring that's equivalent to three months of your salary. THREE MONTHS. If you're making about 60k a year, after taxes you'll probably be pulling in about $4000 a month, ballpark. That means your blushing bride-to-be should expect a ring worth $12,000.

In layman's terms, $12,000 is a down payment on a house, or a new car. I can't think of a single good reason why anybody in their right mind would plunk down that kind of bread for a fucking rock, and as far as I'm concerned, the people that do are suckers.

"Ooooh, but it's romantic, because diamonds are forever." You know what other kinds of rocks are forever? All of them.

EDIT: Specified "$4,000 a month" before some jackass decided to split hairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 06:39PM by MrMephisto.

Best Bars in Tyson's Corner for MILF's, Cougars and Drunk Soccer Mom's
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 28, 2010 08:47AM

Diamonds are not worthless, the dispute is what exactly they are worth and why.

A different grade of diamond is use for the construction equipment, tool tips etc. It is not a particualary astheticly attractive grade, so there is a difference. Now the looks of a diamond, color, clarity, carat as they say is another purely cosmetic factor. Besides the use on drill tips, there is really not any practical use for diamonds at all.

It's pretty clear though if people will pay money for any item, it is worth something. You could have autographed Beanie Babies and Lady Gaga posters- worthless to me, but I sure wouldn't put them out with the trash because I know someone somewhere has just gotta have it.Value is driven by demand. In some countries, peasants dive for pearls and sell them very cheap while in America we will pay a premium. The cultures where these pearls come from really have little use for the cosmetic value of the pearls, so with little demand, there is little monetary value attached to it.
'

To the original poster- if you are truly desperate for money, sell it but make a day out of looking for the right price. There are a lot of pawn and jewelry stores in the area that will give varied prices and if you have some gas in the car, take a roadie to west Baltimore, there are a lot of Jewish owned jewelry and diamond places that will give you morre than the locals here. How much depends on what you have in hand of course.

If you can wait and won't feel funny about it, hold the ring for the next girl. If you sell it now you are going to take a beating and then if you buy another ring in a few years, you'll take a beating on that also.

Find a girl who isn't so caught up in the material if possible, it's hard but so worthwhile.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 10:42PM by WingNut.

Posted by: but woth how much? ()
Date: June 28, 2010 10:47AM

I understand the concept that something is "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it. That's the easy part.

Is it safe to say that what it is "worth" when you buy it, and what it is "worth" after you have it are two very different things?

I was in a scenario where I had to sell an engagement ring. The loose diamond cost me about 4k. I couldn't sell the thing for 1k. Trust me, I tried hard. Nobody seems to want to buy a "used" diamond for some reason.

So maybe the arguement should "worth" versus "value". A diamond is worth what someone will pay, but after that it has no real value.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: June 28, 2010 12:11PM

but woth how much...you're right the debate here is getting two terms mixed up. But both terms are rather nebulous to explain. Worth is what the market/consumer will bear. Value is a lot more difficult to nail down.

An industrial diamond serves many purposes - so in that regard diamonds are not useless. The cosmetic kind for jewelry serve virtually no purpose excepting status - which does have some worth hence their costs.

There is a cartel on the supply of diamonds so it makes it very difficult to return one after you've purchased it. There is a potential way out though it is illegal. If you bought insurance on the ring, you could report it lost or stolen. You will get insured amount back in cash as no two diamonds are exactly the same. Though if you got caught for this tis fraud.

I would do what others have said and hold on to it for perhaps someone else. You sell the ring portion and keep the stone for some future lover of yours.

Date: June 28, 2010 12:26PM

I would consider buying a "used" stone to save a significant amount of money, and pick out the ring on my own. My fear is that if the lady found out the diamond was purchased "used", she would probably throw a fit. I'd rather spend the money on new furniture for the house, but god knows most woman want that nice ring to compare to her friends'.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 28, 2010 12:30PM

If a future spouse was so vain as to complain about an estate piece (which is likely much larger than a equally priced "new" diamond), I'd pitch her over the side as your problems are just beginning.

Date: June 28, 2010 12:43PM

It's not the "this isn't good enough for me" attitude that would worry me. I just think a lot of woman (not all, and maybe just some) really look forward to getting engaged and married, and would prefer their diamond to be purchased for the first time specifically for them. I think any level-headed person knows that a stone is a stone. As long as I wasn't "regifting" a ring from a previous engagement, I feel like she should be fine with it. What I hope for and what really happens often seem to be 2 different things. Such is life.

Posted by: Qwest ()
Date: June 28, 2010 01:45PM

Make sure you take some this with you. You're going to need it.
Attachments:
ky.jpg

Posted by: OP ()
Date: June 28, 2010 04:21PM

So as typical on here... someone went off on a tangent and didn't want their ego to get hurt and arguments ensued over a subject that didn't help me at all just so another could proove that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

So back to the original question since I know people have sold rings before at some point in time, somewhere and it is hard for me to believe that no one has ever successfully sold a ring in fairfax county.

Does anyone know of any place at all that would buy an engagement ring.

Thank you.

Date: June 28, 2010 04:44PM

OP Wrote:
> So as typical on here... someone went off on a
> tangent and didn't want their ego to get hurt and
> arguments ensued over a subject that didn't help
> me at all just so another could proove that they
> are right and everyone else is wrong.
>

Oh dear, you are right. We at fairfaxunderground are here to help unregistered users. We do this because they bring so much to the table.

Personally, I have a strong suspicion you are Alias and took another guy for a ride and got a free ring out of the deal. But I would try pawn shops, or Jewelry Exchange in Tysons or Bethesda if they are still business after that money laundering a few years ago. You will take a major hit.

Good luck!

Date: June 28, 2010 04:50PM

OP Wrote:
> So as typical on here... someone went off on a
> tangent and didn't want their ego to get hurt and
> arguments ensued over a subject that didn't help
> me at all just so another could proove that they
> are right and everyone else is wrong.

So typical on here that someone asks a question, doesn't get the response they were expecting, then gets mad about the responses.

> So back to the original question since I know
> people have sold rings before at some point in
> time, somewhere and it is hard for me to believe
> that no one has ever successfully sold a ring in
> fairfax county.
>
> Does anyone know of any place at all that would
> buy an engagement ring.
>
> Thank you.

The Man Wrote:
> I would find a shop that buys loose stones... I
> saw a sign that the jewelers next to King Kabob in
> old town ffx buys stones.. Good luck

smurf Wrote:
> do you have a receipt and How much would you want.
> Im kind of broke. My wife never got one because I
> wasnt even sure it would have lasted. We've been
> together 10 years. Maybe I can buy one after all.
> Just asking.

Try pawn shops, jewelry stores, Ebay, Craigslist, and places that buy loose stones. If you're looking for specific names and locations of said pawn shops, jewelry stores, Ebay, Craigslist, and places that buy loose stones, Google might also have some insight.

If you're looking for a specific referral on here from someone that has sold their unused engagement ring to a specific store, then yeah, that's a long shot. Needing to sell an engagement ring is not something the vast majority of the populace does on a daily basis, and of those that do, I doubt many of them are posting here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to tend to my poor ego.

Date: June 28, 2010 07:45PM

It's such a fucking scam. I know people who have rings worth THOUSANDS and got engaged when they were 23 - 25. I don't know about anybody here, but I didn't have a pot to piss in when I was right out of college, much less $2,000+ to spend on a ring. Fuck that shit...pay down some student loans, get a house, a decent car...anything that's more useful than some dumbass piece of jewelry that you won't get back when you divorce 5 years later. Oh yeah...some of those couples are already divorced and remarried. What a waste.

Date: June 29, 2010 09:12AM

I'm going to propose by taking her to one of those toy ring dispensers, getting down on one knee, holding up a big sack of quarters, and asking her to marry me. When she asks what the quarters are for, I'll say, "baby, I'm gonna feed this thing quarters until we get a ring that YOU like."

Then later, sex.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 29, 2010 10:11AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> - let me give you the cliff notes version.

It is "CliffsNotes."

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 29, 2010 10:18AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> It's such a fucking scam. I know people who have
> rings worth THOUSANDS and got engaged when they
> were 23 - 25. I don't know about anybody here,
> but I didn't have a pot to piss in when I was
> right out of college, much less $2,000+ to spend
> on a ring. Fuck that shit...pay down some student
> loans, get a house, a decent car...anything that's
> more useful than some dumbass piece of jewelry
> that you won't get back when you divorce 5 years
> later. Oh yeah...some of those couples are
> already divorced and remarried. What a waste.

Thats why I went with an estate piece.

Date: June 29, 2010 11:13AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> I'm going to propose by taking her to one of those
> toy ring dispensers, getting down on one knee,
> holding up a big sack of quarters, and asking her
> to marry me. When she asks what the quarters are
> for, I'll say, "baby, I'm gonna feed this thing
> quarters until we get a ring that YOU like."
>
> Then later, sex.

Make sure you go out and celebrate with a dinner at McDonalds. But you should splurge on the "dine in" experience, because you can get free refills.

Date: June 29, 2010 01:33PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Make sure you go out and celebrate with a dinner
> at McDonalds. But you should splurge on the "dine
> in" experience, because you can get free refills.

Whoa, buddy, I'm not trying to spoil her, here.

If she insists on something as ritzy as McDonalds, I'll go along with it. But, I'll only let her order from the dollar menu. No large-sized combos for her, thank you very much.

Date: June 29, 2010 02:44PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> I'm going to propose by taking her to one of those
> toy ring dispensers, getting down on one knee,
> holding up a big sack of quarters, and asking her
> to marry me. When she asks what the quarters are
> for, I'll say, "baby, I'm gonna feed this thing
> quarters until we get a ring that YOU like."
>
> Then later, sex.

LOL!.

Posted by: Try This ()
Date: June 29, 2010 10:44PM

Tyson's Art and Jewelry Exchange near the mall. Harmon Freeman is the owner. He's a shamster, so be careful. He did manage to sell my engagement ring though.

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 10:30PM

Posted by: robonscanner1 ()
Date: July 01, 2010 12:41AM

Posted by: HelpMeHelpYou ()
Date: July 02, 2010 03:25AM

Seems not many answered poor "where"'s question...

Very professional - DO NOT go to a jewelry store - talk about ripoff

www.novagoldllc.com

Date: July 02, 2010 06:26AM

HelpMeHelpYou Wrote:
> Seems not many answered poor "where"'s
> question...
>
> Very professional - DO NOT go to a jewelry store -
> talk about ripoff
>
> www.novagoldllc.com

Notice it is "novagold" and not "novadiamonds".... Just saying.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 02, 2010 11:37PM

Radiophile Wrote:
>
> Personally, I have a strong suspicion you are
> Alias and took another guy for a ride and got a
> free ring out of the deal.

Wow, Radiophile, I can't put anything past you.

Now that I know how worthless diamonds are, I'll convince my next victim to buy me a sapphire. Tell me, what kind of sapphire do I want?

One sucker bought me a couple of black opals in Australia. Are they worth anything?

Posted by: Harmon Freeman? ()
Date: July 04, 2010 10:58PM

Try This Wrote:
> Tyson's Art and Jewelry Exchange near the mall.
> Harmon Freeman is the owner. He's a shamster, so
> be careful. He did manage to sell my engagement
> ring though.

I thought Jerry Bouchard owned that business. In any event, a good choice for unloading your jewelry.

Posted by: Probably So ()
Date: July 04, 2010 11:04PM

Harmon Freeman? Wrote:
> Try This Wrote:
> -----
> > Tyson's Art and Jewelry Exchange near the mall.
>
> > Harmon Freeman is the owner.
>
>
> I thought Jerry Bouchard owned that business. In
> any event, a good choice for unloading your
> jewelry.

That's entirely possible. I sold my diamond there several years ago, so it could easily have a new owner.

Date: July 05, 2010 08:39AM

Alias Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Personally, I have a strong suspicion you are
> > Alias and took another guy for a ride and got a
> > free ring out of the deal.
>
> Wow, Radiophile, I can't put anything past you.
>
> Now that I know how worthless diamonds are, I'll
> convince my next victim to buy me a sapphire.
> Tell me, what kind of sapphire do I want?
>
> One sucker bought me a couple of black opals in
> Australia. Are they worth anything?

Everything is worth something, except for a diamond of course.

Date: July 05, 2010 08:44AM

`

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 10:45AM by WingNut.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: July 05, 2010 07:28PM

­

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 05:04PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: HelpMeHelpYou ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:40PM

novagoldllc.com = yes, says gold - but they buy diamonds - any storefront jewelry store is going to be a major ripoff - you need a professional who is not in the business of marking up stuff 100s % or 1000s % -
best of luck.

Posted by: sup ()
Date: July 05, 2010 11:24PM

Go down to Route 1 and just shout out that you have a ring to get rid off. Shouldn't take you long.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.