HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
18-yrs-old niece got "RECKLESS DRIVING"(85 in 65) ticket, what should her parents do now?
Posted by: Murray_D ()
Date: May 31, 2007 02:09PM

My 18-yrs-old niece just got a "RECKLESS DRIVING"(85 in 65) ticket,
what should her parents do now? This is in Fairfax County.

1. Her record is spotless, not even a parking ticket. Does this make any
difference to the judge or prosecutor?

2. Do they need to hire a lawyer specializing in traffic cases? If so, where
can they get a good one?

3. What will happen to their auto insurance now? Nobody in their family of six
has ever had a ticket or accident in the last 11 years.

4. would any of the above be any different if the driver was my nephew instead?
(who happens to be a 19-yrs-old boy)

Thanks for any info!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 18-yrs-old niece got "RECKLESS DRIVING"(85 in 65) ticket, what should her parents do now?
Posted by: El Mono Rojo ()
Date: May 31, 2007 02:22PM

http://www.elmonorojo.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:04PM by El Mono Rojo.

Re: 18-yrs-old niece got "RECKLESS DRIVING"(85 in 65) ticket, what should her parents do now?
Posted by: . ()
Date: May 31, 2007 02:46PM

Why do people visit this site and always ask stupid questions like this to perfect strangers?

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: May 31, 2007 03:10PM

why not?

but.. rojo seems on the money

First offence with a judge & lawyer could be an easy way to get it reduced to a simple speeding ticket, and im sure driver improvement clinic will be involved with that... If anything she might get lucky for being a girl.. freakin FFX...

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 31, 2007 03:43PM

yep, being female is actually better, less statistical reate of crashes, etc. Male car insurence is more expensive.

read cary's article: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/6/269.html

Posted by: ya ()
Date: May 31, 2007 03:53PM

. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do people visit this site and always ask
> stupid questions like this to perfect strangers?

Because people usually have answers brainiac.

Date: May 31, 2007 03:59PM

lol

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 04:34PM

That brat needs to be grounded

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: May 31, 2007 06:17PM

Murray_D Wrote:
> My 18-yrs-old niece just got a "RECKLESS
> DRIVING"(85 in 65) ticket,
> what should her parents do now?

Take her fucking car away?

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: May 31, 2007 06:25PM

What does she look like?

Posted by: too bad ()
Date: May 31, 2007 07:50PM

Here is what should happen; go to court plead guilty, if she really was doing 85. Get car taken away. Do community service picking up trash on roads. License suspended for at least six months.

Here is what will happen; Parents will get home equity loan to hire slick expensive lawyer. Parents will tell daughter it is not her fault and the cops are picking on her. Slick lawyer will stand up and tell how she was just off her medication or was on her way to hospital for ________ fill in the blank.

Judge will give her a slap on the wrist and tell her to never been seen in court again. Parents will buy her new car with radar detector to give her a fresh start. A few weeks later parents will call cops and bitch about all the speeders on their street and why isnt anything done about it.

Date: May 31, 2007 10:50PM

sounds like somebodys a little bitter

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 01, 2007 12:57AM

The congressman hit the nail on the head.

We have no way of offering sincere advice without seeing a picture of this niece. her hotness (or notness) will determine the outcome of any course of action that is recommended. A picture of her topless would suffice.

Date: June 01, 2007 12:59AM

too bad,

a reckless driving defense from an experienced attorney will cost around 1000 bucks. Your scenario does drip with your personal bitterness.

Posted by: watcher ()
Date: June 01, 2007 06:41AM

Actually, "too bad" has hit the nail on the head. Very few people accept responsibility for their own actions around here, it is always "how can I get out of this?"

Date: June 01, 2007 07:47AM

If the justice system allows for a way to "get out of it", only a moron would not even try to do so.

But I suppose that if feeling good about your decisions behind bars suits you, go ahead and give up without a fight. I'd rather feel bad about myself while free.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: June 01, 2007 09:06AM

As a mom who has been there and done that with my own son, I say let her take the consequences of her actions. I agree with Too Bad. This is a lesson that she needs to learn now. Some day when you have time, drive down Lee Chapel Road in Fairfax and stop and se the roadside memorial to another beautiful, gifted 18 year old girl who lost her life while speeding. I am sure her parents would have loved to accompany her to court and see her license pulled rather than have to bury a beloved daughter.

With driving comes responsibility and your friend's daughter will soon be learning this. I am glad that her family is not a group of scofflaws ( ie good driving records) but teens and young people often are not as careful at this age. It is time this young lady learns this and realizes that her actions have put others and herself at risk.

Trickie

Date: June 01, 2007 09:28AM

I believe that was a drunken driving accident on Lee Chapel...

And Too Bad didnt say anything that could be agreed with or not.. he just went off on how he thinks he has it the worst..

85 in a 65 is bad, but not incredibaly bad.. I've had one (who didnt see that coming)... Insurance will go up a little bit (not too much) - and usually offences after 35 months are not valid when calculating your rates..

I can see one of 2 things happening here..

If they get her a lawyer - the charges will be lowered (or dropped) - but they'll probably require that she goes to a driver improvement clinic for it to happen.

If they don't get a lawyer - She'll have a reckless ticket, she'll pay the fine for that, as well as court fees. And in that case - as her parent I would take have the DMV take her liscense away until she completes a driver improvement clinic.

Only differences would be that if in the first scenario she only gets a lesser offense (speeding), and still is ordered to go to a driver clinic - she will still have negative points on her liscense.. Whereas, if she were to take the reckless and go to the clinic on her own accord - she would have up to 5 points added back to her liscense..

I'm not sure on this - but I think even if you get a lesser offence - DMV will still take away the 6 points for driving 20+ over the limit.

Prices:

Lawyer - $500+
Driver Improvement - $60
Reckless Driving - $320
Court Fees - $60ish
Speeding - $120+ ?? I think there is a base $ amount - plus $5 per mile over ($100 for her)

Driver improvement is good punishment - its 8 hours long - 1 sitting... Its a pain, but answers are practically (or sometimes litterally) given to you at the end. Its the fact that you have to sit there 8 hours and hear about driving better - it sinks in if your zoned out or not..

or hell, maybe copper wont show up... happened to my sister..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2007 09:29AM by bdimag.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 01, 2007 12:45PM

Hire a person who sometimes posts on this board going by the name of FRIENDLY ATTORNEY. He will go after the cop and if successfull, will sieze the cops pension, plus any equity the cop has in his house (if the cop owns one).

This will be a nice little nest egg for your niece.

FRIENDLY ATTORNEY, please respond and let us know you will or will not take the case.

FRIENDLY ATTORNEY could even bump it up to Federal Court and argue that since she likes girls, she is a protected class and the cop was violating Federal Law in discrimination against those types.

Date: June 01, 2007 01:11PM

Jeez we get it, you hate friendly attorney. You think his statements regarding protected classes and pension-related asset seizures are insane and stupid.

Let's move on.

Date: June 01, 2007 02:40PM

I wanted somebodys assets :(

Date: June 01, 2007 05:52PM

"And Too Bad didnt say anything that could be agreed with or not.. he just went off on how he thinks he has it the worst.. "

Where in my post did I say that? Someone asked what would happen to the girl. If you are thinking of a lawyer at $500.00 think again. Reckless is the same class offense as DWI, actually a criminal and not a traffic offense. Being a juvenile it is doubtful the case will be heard on one day only. Usually it will take two appearances. Please let me know the lawyers name that will go to court for two different days for less than 500.00.

In a short distance on a road near my house are three crosses. Two killed in one speeding crash, one for another. My feelings are if the parents find a way to get this girl off she will continue to speed. I like the poster who said 85 isnt so bad. I bet if you were driving and someone blew past you at 85 you would be the first in line to bitch the police about why dont they do something.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: June 01, 2007 06:11PM

At age 18, she is no longer a juvenile.

Trickie

Date: June 01, 2007 06:41PM

I read it wrong. I still get frustrated when people post on this site complaining about tickets when they are 20+ mph over the limit. Its not like you didnt know you were speeding. There is a reason it is reckless at 20+. The majority of drivers are out of their league when going that fast.
For a lawyer to plead you not guilty and go to trial I havent seen one do that in some years and charge less than 500.00 Most on DWI's will charge you more than a grand just to walk in and plead you guilty.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 01, 2007 07:49PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Jeez we get it, you hate friendly attorney. You
> think his statements regardiung protected classes
> and pension-related asset seizres are insane and
> stupid.
>
> Let's move on.

Thank you.

I will move on. But I will be looking for more "insane and stupid" legal (bad) advice from FRIENDLY ATTORNEY and point it out when he/she babbles it.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 01, 2007 07:59PM

bdimag wrote:

If they don't get a lawyer - She'll have a reckless ticket, she'll pay the fine for that, as well as court fees. And in that case - as her parent I would take have the DMV take her liscense away until she completes a driver improvement clinic.

It don't work like that. If a parent requests that DMV revoke the drivers license of their minor child...it's gone until the kid turns 18.

If you think DMV is crowded now....can you imagine what it would be like if parents were in there getting junior's license revoked and re-instated every other week?

Date: June 02, 2007 04:57AM

Listen, I am all for people taking personal responsibility. But we have a legal system in this country. This system allows for varying degrees of taking responsibility and punishment. Why not hire a lawyer to make sure you can take responsibility, and maybe come out with a life ont he other end?

A lot of people are acting like a reckless ticket is akin to dui or even murder. The girl needs discipline from her parents, not the courts.

And I have to ask once again, how hot is this girl? It really is the single most important factor in every event that will happen to her for the rest of her life.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 02, 2007 08:41AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> And I have to ask once again, how hot is this
> girl? It really is the single most important
> factor in every event that will happen to her for
> the rest of her life.

that is so true.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 02, 2007 01:18PM

"A lot of people are acting like a reckless ticket is akin to dui or even murder"

It is the same class offense and number of minus points, -6, as DUI if convicted.

"And I have to ask once again, how hot is this girl? It really is the single most important factor in every event that will happen to her for the rest of her life."

I will agree to that point. Her chance of getting a nice job, promotion, husband, or the boss letting her get away with murder does hinge on her looks. With the exception of Paris Hilton how many hot girls do you ever see going to jail.

Date: June 02, 2007 08:34PM

well sry about the price of a lawyer, i really had no idea - mine was company paid - i swear i remember him saying 700.. and then i knocked it down..

and I only heard recently about parents taking liscenses away - had no idea the specifics..

also... about paris... really: what kind of jail do you think shes sitting in? bet its got silk sheets..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2007 08:38PM by bdimag.

Posted by: home ()
Date: June 02, 2007 11:58PM

If her record is "spotless" why would she need a lawyer? go to courty plead guilty and pay the fine. she will not get jail time!

Date: June 03, 2007 07:31AM

home Wrote:
> If her record is "spotless" why would she need a
> lawyer? go to courty plead guilty and pay the
> fine. she will not get jail time!

because it's a misdemeanor and that is permanent, not to mention it's an instant -6 and your insurance goes way up.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2007 07:32AM by Gravis.

Posted by: HIGHWAY RESIDENT ()
Date: June 03, 2007 04:58PM

you gonna need a lawyer. point blank period, for the reasons given above. it is a class 1 misdemeanor punishable with jail time etc.. i got a reckless driving ticket in Feb. waited until the last minute to get a lawyer who got a continuance for me in march, went to court in april and agreed to take a driving improvement course and come back to court in Aug. im hoping to get it thrown out or at least plead to a lesser charge.

Posted by: longhornin703 ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:42PM

Hi,

In October, as a 19 yr old, I was charged with reckless, 90 in a 55. I started receiving numerous letters from attorneys claiming huge fines and possible jail time if convicted. I eventually made the choice to represent myself, not hiring an attorney, and everything turned out fine. I was fully expecting to get my license suspended, but all I had to do was pay around $300 in fines, including court costs. However, my record was clean, and they take into account how long you have been driving to see how many plus points you have accumulated. It also depends on the judge, I got my court date pushed back from the original one, and when I went to make an appeal to do that, the judge was very harsh and was giving out big fines and license suspensions to older people who had done lower speeds that I did. So it really depends upon what judge you get, but it isn't imperative that you hire a lawyer. You may luck out like I did.

things you can do to:
-get your vehicle's speedometer calibrated
- if you were paced, ask for records to when the police car's speedometer was last calibrated
-if you were clocked, ask for records on radar gun maintenence
- contact District Attorney's office, try to bargain for a lesser charge in exchange for a guilty plea... usually they go for this, but only an attorney can do this, so you have to hire one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 03:16PM by longhornin703.

Posted by: OhYeah ()
Date: June 04, 2007 04:58PM

I think we are all missing the point here.....she's 18. She's an adult, time to cut the umbilical cord and let your snotty teen learn what life is all about. but this is Fairfax County...parents baby their kids forever round here!

Date: June 04, 2007 06:21PM

OhYeah Wrote:
> I think we are all missing the point
> here.....she's 18. She's an adult,...

i call bullshit for one reason: at 18 you STILL cant legally drink.

Date: June 05, 2007 11:35AM

just statin the facts gravis...considered an adult at 18 as far as the courts are concerned and as far as the state is concerned....no more kiddie court

Date: June 05, 2007 02:27PM

OhYeah Wrote:
> just statin the facts gravis.

OhYeah Wrote:
> She's an adult, time to cut
> the umbilical cord and let your snotty teen learn
> what life is all about.

ORLY? just the facts? dont join the debate team, fucktard.

Date: June 06, 2007 01:41PM

Gravis Wrote:
>
> ORLY? just the facts? dont join the debate team,
> fucktard.

that's the best intelligent response you could come back with?

Posted by: Jay308 ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:06PM

Just got convicted of a 93 in a 55 and ffx county doesn't mess around with reckless driving tickets. I'm guessing it was a 85 in a 55. Best thing to do would be ....do a driving school before the court date and get a certified copy of her driving record and take all that paperwork to the prosecutor the day of court. They may be willing to drop it to improper driving given the age and good driving record and the driving school.

Posted by: Brian ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:21PM

What you should do: She was only going 20 over, and legally 80 is always reckless

1. Get the car's speedometer calibrated - usually they "find out" that the speedometer says you're going slower than you really are, and it holds up in court

2. Have her go to a driving class

3. Show up to court. That's half the battle, and they'll usually never hit someone with a reckless ticket their first time. Wear nice clothes.

-B

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 19, 2007 03:16PM

Haven't we had this friggin' discussion before? Fairfax Underground is like a wormhole in the fabric of space where the same shit keeps happening over and over again.

Posted by: JigSAW ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:06PM

Take that bitches car and make her take the Metro bus

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:23PM

A long while ago I received a wreckless driving ticket for going 86 in a 55. I went to court and the judge said to me "why were you driving so fast? Were you in a hurry to get somewhere?"

All I said was yes, he laughed, reduced the ticket to speeding and fined me $25.00! I say you niece should bite the bullet and take her chances...you never know!

Posted by: bitethebullet ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:42PM

honestly,

i'm sick of hearing about young adults and teenagers who die behind the wheel, especially recently with the girls killed on 95 and the 14-year-old on jermantown rd. in ffx city. your 18-year-old niece needs to bite the bullet and pay the consequences for what she did. she best learn her lesson now and we can see less of these senseless deaths in the news :)

Date: July 19, 2007 04:49PM

bitethebullet Wrote:
> she best learn
> her lesson now and we can see less of these
> senseless deaths in the news :)

you are seriously naive if you think something like this will stop kids from driving poorly, wrecking and dying. besides, far more adults wreck their cars.

Posted by: bitethebullet ()
Date: July 19, 2007 04:53PM

haha, no response to that. it seems we have ourselves an instigator and a dumbfuck for thinking the polls he checks out on the news and in the papers are accurate!

Date: July 19, 2007 04:55PM

bitethebullet Wrote:
> haha, no response to that. it seems we have
> ourselves an instigator and a dumbfuck for
> thinking the polls he checks out on the news and
> in the papers are accurate!

polls? it's statistics, not public opinion.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: July 19, 2007 06:40PM

Murray_D Wrote:
> 4. would any of the above be any different if the
> driver was my nephew instead?
> (who happens to be a 19-yrs-old boy)

Uh, YES! You can give me your niece to make a romance inside of her...but I don't want to have a sexy time with your nephew.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: July 19, 2007 10:41PM

I'll drive your niece around if she gets her licence suspended, when I get my licence... Does she like younger guys? lol

Date: July 20, 2007 05:56AM

pyramids17 Wrote:
> Uh, YES! You can give me your niece to make a
> romance inside of her...but I don't want to have a
> sexy time with your nephew.

nice engrish.

english: you should make more great posts like that.
japanese: それのようなより大きいポストを作るべきである。
engrish: A larger post where it is that way should be made.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: July 20, 2007 09:44AM

Gravis Wrote:
> pyramids17 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Uh, YES! You can give me your niece to make a
> > romance inside of her...but I don't want to have
> a
> > sexy time with your nephew.
>
> nice engrish.
>
> english: you should make more great posts like
> that.
> japanese:
> engrish: A larger post where it is that way should
> be made.

Haven't you ever seen borat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVlLMKPrV8

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2007 09:48AM by joe.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.