HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Decent Cheesesteaks in FFx?
Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: June 16, 2010 11:40AM

After growing up in Fairfax I moved to PA for about 2 years and loved the steaks up there. Now that I'm back, I have yet to find a decent cheesesteak. Anyone know of a good place to pick one up? The kind with meat cooked on a grill and not microwaved with wax paper would do nicely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decent Cheesesteaks in FFx?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 16, 2010 12:00PM

I haven't been there in a long time, but the ones from Philadelphia Mike's in Reston used to be passable. You certainly won't confuse it with the kind you get in the Philly area (I grew up there), but their pizza steaks were decent.

Oh, and stay away from their location in Rosslyn. You have been warned.

I also had one recently from the Italian Deli in McLean, based on something I read here. It was absolutely *stuffed* with meat, but was pretty bland... not enough cheese & onions, and too much meat.

The Cheesesteak Factory in Georgetown is also passable, but it's been 3-4 years since I've been in there so YMMV.

Posted by: P6hPX ()
Date: June 16, 2010 12:58PM

whatever you do, stay away from johnny's pizza in vienna. it's a steak-umm on a sub roll

Posted by: A Resident ()
Date: June 16, 2010 01:40PM

Marios in Arlington is as good or better than Philadelphia. I've been to both. I prefer Marios. Anthony's in Falls Church has a pretty good steak & cheese. Their fries and deserts (napoleons) are also very good.

Date: June 16, 2010 05:15PM

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out some of those place - I've had food at Marios and Anthonys many times but never their steaks. Subs at the Italian Deli are ehhh, so I'm not surprised their steaks aren't that great.

Thanks!

Posted by: starvin ()
Date: June 16, 2010 05:31PM

Lee Road Deli in Chantilly is by far the best steak-n-cheese around!!

lee rd & rt 50

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: June 16, 2010 06:26PM

Rosiana's in Hollin Hall which is off Fort Hunt Road.

Posted by: in the 22039 ()
Date: June 16, 2010 06:29PM

(shopping ctr @ Hooes and Silverbrook) Steak n Things used to be ok, now they seem hit or miss...

Marios in Arlington is nasty. Went there over Memorial Day and it was awful!

Philly CHeesesteak in Alexandria (by Generous Georges) or across the Key Br. in G'town is better...

The best, is Sports, just over the 123 bridge in PW county. They are next to the 7/11 on the right, heading south. Bring cash, that's all she takes...

Posted by: Amphora's ()
Date: June 16, 2010 06:33PM

Amphora's in Herndon has good Cheese Cake.

Posted by: mario's papa ()
Date: June 16, 2010 08:02PM

I think the mario's cheesesteak is okay but I truly crave the meatball sub

believe it or not i find the Hooters cheesesteak passable with some onion rings and most of the time the view ain't bad except for the orange shorts

my favorite cheesteak around is place in McLean in the shopping center pretty much across from the Italian Deli
they make cheesesteaks old style like you use to find everywhere in fairfax county
i forget name i just remember where it at probably called McLean Pizza or soemthing like that

what know one mentions the Jerry's cheesesteak kinda of okay if in big hurry but not something to savor

but no nothing around i know of like philadelphia

Posted by: wtfno ()
Date: June 16, 2010 08:11PM

Hmm... there is (or used to be) a sign in Merrifield across from Tippy's Tacos that said "Best Cheesesteak in Town." Any merit? I never stopped there.

Looking at Google Street View, some place called "Cedar's Gourmet Deli."

Date: June 16, 2010 08:27PM

mario's papa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> probably called McLean Pizza or soemthing like that

McLean Pizza is correct. I like that place for what it is. Their pizza is OK, and their "McLean Club" club sandwich is one of my favorite local carryout items.

But their cheesesteaks...hmmm... now I haven't had one in years, but I remembered it wasn't that great. It had tomatoes, mayo, and lettuce on it (a clear sign it's not "original"). That might pass for a cheesesteak around DC, but it's not like the stuff you find around Philly.

That being said, I think McLean Pizza is a good little pizzeria.

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: June 16, 2010 09:34PM

I am from Philly and could not find many good chweesesteaks in this area, then the Philly Connection in Chantilly opened. They still are not the real thing, but it is very close if you order it properly. The prices are a little high but they have really good combo deals and deliver to my door.

Posted by: Whobe ()
Date: June 16, 2010 09:40PM

Al's Steak House in Alexandria on Mt. Vernon Ave. down near GW middle school.
Absolutely best around. Haven't had anything close to it around here.

Posted by: Keep 'em coming ()
Date: June 17, 2010 12:53AM

Whobe Wrote:
> Al's Steak House in Alexandria on Mt. Vernon Ave.
> down near GW middle school.
> Absolutely best around. Haven't had anything close
> to it around here.

Al's product looks like a great cheesesteak, but the meat could not be blander unless it were made of cardboard. Save yourself the trip.

Mario's in Arlington is quite different from a Philly Cheesesteak, and is an acquired taste, although once the taste is acquired, people swear by it.

The Broiler in Arlington used to put out a pretty good cheesesteak (looked like steak umm, but tasted far better), but the last time I was there, the quality had dropped off, and it was expensive, to boot.

Cedar's Gourmet Deli does not advertise the "best cheesesteaks in town" but rather the best club sandwiches in town. I have had neither, but the Italian sub I had there was not too bad.

I will be looking up the Philly Connection place in Chantilly, and McLean Pizza. I also might try Johnny's in Vienna, sometimes I have a craving for a cheesesteak that features steak-umm on a sub roll.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: June 17, 2010 02:00AM

I enjoy the cheesesteaks at Chantilly County Club.

Posted by: FFX man ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:43AM

You might try Santini's in Oakton.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:13AM

I make my own. I have found that the most decent cheesesteak.

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich with Garlic Mayo
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound beef round steak, cut into thin strips
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 onions, sliced into rings
salt and pepper to taste
4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise and toasted
1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions
1.In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and minced garlic. Cover, and refrigerate. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
2.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute beef until lightly browned. Stir in green pepper and onion, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender, and remove from heat.
3.Spread each bun generously with garlic mayonnaise. Divide beef mixture into the buns. Top with shredded cheese, and sprinkle with oregano. Place sandwiches on a baking pan.
4.Heat sandwiches in preheated oven, until cheese is melted or slightly browned

Date: June 17, 2010 09:37AM

It makes me laugh when I hear the whole mayo thing going on cheesesteaks. I've sorta gotten used to it, but I remember wondering what the hell was going on when I first moved here and saw cheesesteaks with mayo. Some places around Philly might sell them with mayo, lettuce, & tomatos, but that is a cheesesteak hoagie, not a cheesesteak.

That recipe sounds good, but I'd skip the green peppers and mayo, replace the mozzarella with white American cheese and let it melt on the beef while it's in the skillet, then add a little pizza sauce over the meat after it's in the roll.

Now that's a cheesesteak!

Date: June 17, 2010 09:52AM

I've made my own a few times but I'm lazy and would rather just buy them :) Meat from the butcher behind Ruby Tuesdays in Centreville can be sliced thin and I throw it in a skillet over some sliced onions and banana peppers. Once it's all cooked up I layer on some provolone and dump it all on a roll with some banana pepper juice. MMmmmm!

This combo reminds me of my favorite PA steaks made by a pimp down in a mini mall in Upper Darby. Baldwins I think it was. He would chop up lots of hot peppers and onions with the meat so everything was good and mixed up. His two best girls also made a mean steak. Ahhh I miss PA sometimes. Ritas Ice on every corner and diners all around.

Posted by: king of steaks ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:56AM

Philadelphia Mikes in Reston has really gone downhill in the past 2-3 years. I wouldn't recommend going there.

If you haven't been to geno's or Pat's, you're really missing out on life. they use steak, cheese wiz, and onions. htat's all that should go on one. Just say wiz with, and you're set.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:01AM

Ahem that would be "Wiz wit" ;)

They are good there - Pat's is much better than Geno's IMHO. However, there are many smaller places scattered around that whole area that make steaks that are just as good if not better.

Date: June 17, 2010 10:08AM

I like Geno's over Pat's. But I agree, you can find better places scattered about the whole eastern side of PA. My favorite actually come from a small local chain in the Allentown area called J's Steaks & Subs. Every small town up that way has a mom & pop pizzeria that makes pizza, stromboli, cheesesteaks, and hoagies better then you can find around DC.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:50AM

GENO's and Pat are both good, I still like my garlic mayo.

Posted by: yumyum ()
Date: June 17, 2010 04:32PM

I agree with sportz. It's a little dive and all they make are subs. BEST! Cash only and they are a little expensive

Posted by: duhdum ()
Date: June 17, 2010 05:06PM

Try the Cheesecake factory in Fairfax.

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: June 17, 2010 05:11PM

in the 22039 Wrote:
> The best, is Sports, just over the 123 bridge in
> PW county. They are next to the 7/11 on the right,
> heading south. Bring cash, that's all she takes...

Sports is closed.

Posted by: Say what? ()
Date: June 17, 2010 06:52PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> It makes me laugh when I hear the whole mayo thing
> going on cheesesteaks. I've sorta gotten used to
> it, but I remember wondering what the hell was
> going on when I first moved here and saw
> cheesesteaks with mayo. Some places around Philly
> might sell them with mayo, lettuce, & tomatos, but
> that is a cheesesteak hoagie, not a cheesesteak.
>
> That recipe sounds good, but I'd skip the green
> peppers and mayo, replace the mozzarella with
> white American cheese and let it melt on the beef
> while it's in the skillet, then add a little pizza
> sauce over the meat after it's in the roll.
>
>
> Now that's a cheesesteak!

Since when does a cheesesteak have pizza sauce?

Posted by: robonscanner ()
Date: June 17, 2010 07:43PM

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: June 16, 2010 06:26PM

Rosiana's in Hollin Hall which is off Fort Hunt Road.

Hey Piggy, I go there all the time.

The guy from Rosiana's is a real chef. I used to cook that cook with him. I alway order a tuna melt and he is good a taking instructions. If you know how you like something, just let him know. The side items with your steak can be from fruit cup salad to small veggie cucumber salad. Thats so much better than ending up with a buch of fries that get under your car seat.
Even a regular burger there is good. There is a bunch of salmonella along Richmond hway.

Date: June 17, 2010 07:53PM

Say what? Wrote:
>
> Since when does a cheesesteak have pizza sauce?

When Pat's King of Steaks first opened in the 1930's the cheesesteaks were topped with pizza sauce. While I was growing up, cheesesteaks from all the local places came with sauce unless you asked them to hold it... or, they listed them separately on the menu as a "pizza steak", which is what Pat's and Geno's does now.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:02PM

Hunter Mill Deli- makes a real good steak and cheese supreme..

but as Meeper pointed out, it is more a Steak and cheese hogie..

either way , it is a delicious way to down 5,000 calories..

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:57PM

Jerrys Subs and Pizza in chantilly- 2.99 cheesesteak

Date: June 20, 2010 10:08AM

mario's papa Wrote:
>
> i forget name i just remember where it at probably
> called McLean Pizza or soemthing like that

It's been maybe ten years since I had a cheesesteak from McLean Pizza, so I picked one up for lunch yesterday. It's actually listed as a "steak and cheese" on their menu, and it's pretty much served in the "cheesesteak hoagie" fashion (mayo, letuce, tomato). The meat was flavorful without being too greasy, but overall it's nothing to go out of your way for. I'd give it a C. It's not really comparable to stuff you'd find around Philly, and is about average for what you'd expect from around here.

I'll continue to visit McLean Pizza for their club sandwhiches, but it might be another ten years before I order their 'steak and cheese'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 10:08AM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: June 20, 2010 06:39PM

When I was growing up around Philly, the best cheesesteaks IMO came from the local Italian delis and pizze joints. Some of them were small chains, but the independent ones were the best.

The problem with the DC area is that there are like 3 whole Italian people living here so nobody knows how to eat properly.

Posted by: Walrus ()
Date: June 21, 2010 08:36AM

There's a great little place in Chantilly - used to be called "Philadelphia Connection," now it's called "Max-Deli." Located in a strip mall a block east of Stonecroft Blvd, behind the Wendy's. Fantastic cheesesteaks - certainly as good as any I've had outside of Philadelphia. Lots of options for customization, if you're into that kind of thing... Just steak, american/wiz, and onions for me. Their fries are good, too, but don't travel very well.

Posted by: dogbutt ()
Date: June 21, 2010 11:17AM

Where to go? I looked up the Max-Deli and found a bunch of mediocre reveiws for under the old name. Why can't any of these places do it philly style? It really isn't hard or expensive.

Posted by: Nardman ()
Date: June 21, 2010 04:24PM

Fist off, Santini's doesn't server a Cheesesteak, They have a Steak and Cheese sub....very different. It is surprising how many places mess up a cheesesteak with their "Would you like lettuce, tomatoes and Mayo". NO, that is not a cheesesteak.

Having said all that, Southstreet steaks has the best cheesesteaks in the area. It's not in Fairfax though. they have one in Bethesda and one in Gaithersburg.

http://www.southstreetsteaks.com/

Posted by: serk ()
Date: June 21, 2010 05:17PM

little italy in Centreville

Posted by: Mario's papa ()
Date: June 21, 2010 05:45PM

for the old style fairfax county cheesesteak might try the Jukebox diner in annandale

no nothing comparable to phillie cheessteaks just sort of the cheesesteaks you could find all over fairfax county say 15+ years ago but now very few

i don't like thai food there's one on every corner these days right next to the nail salon

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: June 21, 2010 05:57PM

wtfno Wrote:
> Hmm... there is (or used to be) a sign in
> Merrifield across from Tippy's Tacos that said
> "Best Cheesesteak in Town." Any merit? I never
> stopped there.
>
> Looking at Google Street View, some place called
> "Cedar's Gourmet Deli."

I walked in there once, took a look at the deli case, and walked out.

So I can't give you much of a review.

I wish they rocked, cause I'm on that road all the time.

And, speaking of Tippy's how the HELL is that place still viable? Ugh.

Posted by: to gay or not to gay? ()
Date: June 21, 2010 06:15PM

fairfaxdude Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> I walked in there once, took a look and walked out.
>
> So I can't give you much of a review.

I think you're talking about your drunken gay bathhouse/craigslist encounter, fairy.

Date: June 21, 2010 08:32PM

tomahawk Wrote:
>
> The problem with the DC area is that there are like 3 whole Italian people living here so nobody knows how to eat properly.

I always wondered why the Italian Store in Arlington didn't make cheesesteaks. If any place would do it right, it would be them. Their italian subs, calzones, meatball subs, and sausage sandwiches are all rockstar. That place is closest to a Philly joint as you're gonna find around here, but sadly, they do not make cheesesteaks.

Date: June 21, 2010 09:46PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> tomahawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > The problem with the DC area is that there are
> like 3 whole Italian people living here so nobody
> knows how to eat properly.
>
> I always wondered why the Italian Store in
> Arlington didn't make cheesesteaks. If any place
> would do it right, it would be them. Their
> italian subs, calzones, meatball subs, and sausage
> sandwiches are all rockstar. That place is
> closest to a Philly joint as you're gonna find
> around here, but sadly, they do not make
> cheesesteaks.

Maybe they're from the New York area. No cheesesteaks up there, either, but good Italian food otherwise.

Date: June 21, 2010 10:28PM

tomahawk Wrote:
>
> Maybe they're from the New York area. No
> cheesesteaks up there, either, but good Italian
> food otherwise.

Opened by a native New Yorker in 1980.

Date: June 21, 2010 11:28PM

Well, there you go. They don't even know what a hoagie is up there!

Date: June 22, 2010 02:02AM

serks got it right.

Little Italy in Centreville has a really good cheesesteak. That's my recommendation.

That, or Jerry's "The Ultimate".

Posted by: novaHavoc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 02:29PM

Paisanos has excellent pizza and subs!!!

Date: June 22, 2010 02:35PM

The Italian Store makes good subs and hoagies, but not so much warm sandwiches. For what it's worth, Jerry's doesn't count as real cheesesteaks. You'd have to eat a philly steak to really know what is lacking around here.

Thanks for all the good advice though - looks like the Chantilly place may be my best bet to try!

Posted by: mudrun ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:20PM

Haven't had a true "Philly" cheesesteak, but love Al's in Alexandria.
www.alssteak.com

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 25, 2010 12:31PM

Cheesesteak Factory on Duke in Alexandria was decent. I had a good comparison as I was up in Philadelphia on business two weeks ago and ate 1) at Geno's and 2) at Sonny's.

Posted by: union>united ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:10PM

Just tried Al's in Alexandria based on this post. Quality stuff (PA native here).

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: June 25, 2010 02:14PM

Wait...a Fairfax resident on this site posted something helpful to another resident?
Attachments:
face-melt.gif

Posted by: FFX00 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 04:48PM

Anyone have a cheesesteak from Tony's in Fair Lakes?

Date: June 26, 2010 05:01PM

union>united Wrote:
> Just tried Al's in Alexandria based on this post.
> Quality stuff (PA native here).

Been to AL's myself, very tasty

Posted by: Not an Al's fan, obviously ()
Date: June 26, 2010 07:05PM

Centreville Citizens Coalition Wrote:
> union>united Wrote:
> -----
> > Just tried Al's in Alexandria based on this
> post.
> > Quality stuff (PA native here).
>
>
> Been to AL's myself, very tasty

I must have been there on the four days over the span of two years where they decided to serve meat with no taste whatsoever. I would be so happy if their cheesesteak were actually tasty, because it "looks" genuine, but tastes like fried cardboard...

Posted by: wtfno ()
Date: July 06, 2010 05:17PM

Keep 'em coming Wrote:
> Cedar's Gourmet Deli does not advertise the "best
> cheesesteaks in town" but rather the best club
> sandwiches in town. I have had neither, but the
> Italian sub I had there was not too bad.

Correction. I just drove past there to go to the post office. The sign DOES INDEED say "Best Steak & Cheese in town."

Posted by: j ()
Date: July 06, 2010 07:43PM

galaxy hut in arlington.

three words: tater tots, bitches.

Posted by: dmx ()
Date: July 07, 2010 05:01AM

the grammar police Wrote:
> serks got it right.
>
> Little Italy in Centreville has a really good
> cheesesteak. That's my recommendation.
>
> That, or Jerry's "The Ultimate".

jerry's? fucking JERRY'S?

nigga please.

Posted by: RankTizzo ()
Date: July 08, 2010 01:20PM

dmx Wrote:
> the grammar police Wrote:
> -----
> > serks got it right.
> >
> > Little Italy in Centreville has a really good
> > cheesesteak. That's my recommendation.
> >
> > That, or Jerry's "The Ultimate".
>
>
>
>
> jerry's? fucking JERRY'S?
>
> nigga please.

I was going to try the place in Centreville until I saw the Jerry's recommendation as a good cheesesteak.

Tony Lukes is my favorite in Philly, but Pat's is a close second.

In this area I think Al's in Alexandria has been far and away my favorite, and their Italian Hoagie is also very good. Mario's was decent-I went there one time and they even had cheez whiz. Each time I've been back though they haven't had it, so I'm not really sure what that was all about.

I've heard of some places in MD that have been good, but I am almost never up there, and it's not really worth a trip for a cheesesteak for me.

Posted by: Angela ()
Date: November 14, 2010 08:49PM

Max Deli in Chantilly, VA has awesome Cheesesteaks. Obviously not Pat's or Genos but pretty dang good. They also have awesome salads which suprised me. Lots of options for the whole fam :) Highly recommend it and they deliver!

Posted by: Not so Good ()
Date: November 14, 2010 09:04PM

wtfno Wrote:
> Hmm... there is (or used to be) a sign in
> Merrifield across from Tippy's Tacos that said
> "Best Cheesesteak in Town." Any merit? I never
> stopped there.
>
> Looking at Google Street View, some place called
> "Cedar's Gourmet Deli."

I think they revised their sign to "Best Clubs in Town" and, may have faltered on the cheese steak sandwich. I've been in there - appears to be operated by a British guy. I've had their meatball sub. My thoughts? Nothing but meatballs in a bit of ketchup sauce. I've never been back.

Little Italy in Centreville has undergone some changes over the years. I used to love their Italian sandwich - with Boars Head cuts, hot peppers, etc. However, I believe they've changed owners a few times. They're not as good today as they were 20 years ago, when I first went to that deli.

Ironically, I've found some OK cheese steaks at Joe's Pizza and Subs in Manassas Park. It's a small hole-in-the-wall joint, with no inside seating. You either eat outside on the 4 picnic tables, or take your food to go. I can't really compare it to a good Philly cheese steak, though - as I haven't had Pat's or Geno's. However, it's one of the better ones I've had in NoVA. Plus, they serve seasoned steak fries that are baked in the brick oven - and not deep friend.

Posted by: pixels ()
Date: November 14, 2010 10:10PM

Another vote for Al's in Del Ray.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 15, 2010 10:08PM

ergetumblr_inline_nh7wpfLZtV1sour8w.jpg

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 09:11AM by WingNut.

Posted by: The Fat Man ()
Date: December 19, 2010 11:29PM

Sports in Occaquan was a Great Cheesesteak Place 8 greasy gold spoons but its gone.

Als on Mt Vernon Ave. Alex. makes a good sub but its a mess to eat wide roll kinda crisp
7 sliver greasy spoons in my book.

Place on Elm St in Mclean has a good Cheesesteak 7 spoons

Anthonys in Falls Church 5 spoons they need to drain that sucker more Same thing for their Manassas location.

Yahoo deli Kingstown at Buhlea rd and Telegraph road pretty good 7 silver greasy spoons , other good subs too worth a trip! In Corner of Kingstown Shopping center
But tell them they need to make their burgers like 5 guys! as they are hurting for certin..Sad Face!

Franconia Pizza Franconia Road, Good steak 6 Greasy Spoons and a silver medal. Great 8 Gold Spoons Hamburger sub! Nice spahgetti Dinner for about 8 bucks with a salad bread ect.

Most others are 3 to 4 greasy spoons But one stands out for Greasy Spoon Gold! (8-10 greasy spoons)

Belive it or not! Hong Kong Kitchen Rt 1 at Hybla Valley in small center with 7-11
by Mt Vernon Sq Apts has a Great Cheese Steak, Order it Philly style/Meat/onions/provalone or american cheese about 4.50 for a regular size maybe
7 for a large. A great cheesesteak too cheap a price and they have been doing it for at least 7 years now. 9 Gold Greasy spoons. if the roll was more crispy it would be a Sterling 10 greasy spoons! tell em how good it tis! Keep up the great work!Hong Kong kitchen! The BEST CHEESESTEAK IN NOVA 2010 From "The Fat Man"

Marios did have great cheese steak in Arlington 7 (silver) greasy spoons

So did Joes Pizza in Bailys X Roads 7 spoons and gone with the wind!

Posted by: goon ()
Date: December 20, 2010 01:57AM

you need to try julianos in springfield va the adress is 6133-a backlick rd springfield va 22150

Posted by: yourmomma ()
Date: December 20, 2010 08:44AM

Al's Steakhouse on Mount Vernon Ave in Del Ray

Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:39AM

If you're near Burke Center/Fairfax Station, you can get a pretty decent steak and cheese at "George's Steak N'Things" in the Fairfax Station Square shopping center on 123 just north of the intersection with Burke Center Parkway. (The same shopping center with Golds Gym, La Tolteca Mexican Restaurant, and Advance Auto Parts.)

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: December 20, 2010 09:54AM

Walrus Wrote:
> There's a great little place in Chantilly - used
> to be called "Philadelphia Connection," now it's
> called "Max-Deli." Located in a strip mall a
> block east of Stonecroft Blvd, behind the Wendy's.
> Fantastic cheesesteaks - certainly as good as any
> I've had outside of Philadelphia. Lots of options
> for customization, if you're into that kind of
> thing... Just steak, american/wiz, and onions for
> me. Their fries are good, too, but don't travel
> very well.

Maybe I'll give them one more try. The first and only time I got a sandwich with unmelted cheese. Disgraceful. Was it just a name change or is there new management?

Posted by: Laughing ()
Date: December 20, 2010 11:35AM

I'll second George's Steaks in the Gold's Gym center in Burke on 123. Pretty good cheesesteak; the quesadilla is good, too.

Posted by: Schweddy Balls ()
Date: December 20, 2010 12:05PM

Bozzeli's on Alban Road in Springfield. AWESOME!!!!

Posted by: Washcaps1 ()
Date: December 20, 2010 12:47PM

Paisanos in the City of Fairfax has a great steak and cheese and I think it is the best in the area.

http://www.pizzapaisanos.com/index.cfm?action=menu

Mario's and Philadelphia Mike's used to be pretty good but I think they have gone a bit down hill over the years. Of the two, I prefer Mario's in Arlington but it is a bit of a dive.

Date: December 20, 2010 02:31PM

Washcaps1 Wrote:
>
> Mario's and Philadelphia Mike's used to be pretty good but I think they have gone a bit down hill over the years. Of the two, I prefer Mario's in Arlington but it is a bit of a dive.

Mario's is downright shitty anymore. I never thought much of them, but the last cheesesteak I ordered from there a few months ago SUCKED, and I've stopped going there. Tough, tasteless meat, peppers and onions that weren't cooked all the way, and 80% of the cheese was all on one side of the sandwich. Save your money and eat elsewhere.

The people who work there act like dicks, too.

Posted by: yummy ()
Date: December 25, 2010 05:16PM

Pomodoro italian restaurant in Fairfax Towne Center makes delicious cheesesteaks!

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: December 26, 2010 02:12AM

Cue Club Cafe in Annandale (somebody here posted a pic of a car going through their window) has really good cheesesteaks which was surprising. The only bad thing is that you need to sit at the bar.

Posted by: patty McGeeeee ()
Date: December 26, 2010 09:34AM

First off noone from NewYork makes a great cheesesteak- good maybe but not Great. Great cheesesteaks along with most things in life that are great come from Philly. Everything in Virginia sucks except moonshine liquor. Use this recipe and you will come close. You need to bake the bread fresh though.

http://philadelphia.about.com/od/regionalfoods/r/pats_steak_recipe.htm

Posted by: yuvi ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:05PM

tysons mall has good ones

Posted by: E ()
Date: January 12, 2011 12:28PM

Mama Lucia's at Fair City Mall has a good one.

Posted by: hot taco ()
Date: January 12, 2011 11:16PM

tippys taco has a great cheesesteak. there tacos suck

Posted by: Boston cheesesteaks ()
Date: January 13, 2011 01:25PM

I know this is blastphemy but I don't like the real philly cheesesteaks with the cheeze wiz.

I like the ones I get up in Boston from D'Angelos. They use american or provolone with some peppers and onions. No mayo o ranything else. Can't beat it.

Posted by: bowl filler ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:02PM

I find the best cheese steaks in my toilet bowl the night after i get home from Philly. You have never tasted a better Pats cheese steak then a day after, soggy wet, and sittin in your toilet bowl. Good eats.

Posted by: dizzy dae ()
Date: August 21, 2011 11:42AM

I have wondered the same thing. Since moving to falls church I could not find a decent steak sub to save my life. I have to keep going to Arlington for the best steak and cheese subs. Mario's is ok but, I thing Andy's, Dave's and Eastern's have the best subs. Oh, and also the broiler (All in Arlington). I have yet to find a great sub in fairfax!!!

Posted by: steveoo ()
Date: August 21, 2011 09:16PM

Sorta takes a tad of effort to find these guys, but these guys have the BEST Cheesecakes in the area.

Next best thing is trip to Phili

www.badabingdc.com

Well worth the effort. Cheers.

Posted by: Big_Kahuna ()
Date: August 22, 2011 08:17AM

Vinnie's Pizza in Springfield

Posted by: Try NOVA ()
Date: August 22, 2011 11:31AM

Believe it or not, the steak and cheese at the Annandale NOVA cafeteria is wonderful (pretty much the only thing there that is edible, other than basic sandwiches). Fresh cooked on the grill with onions - and it's cheap (under $4). Incredibly greasy, but worth it.

Posted by: CERTenly555454 ()
Date: August 23, 2011 07:29AM

I agrees CheeseCake Factory has best variety of cheesecakes in entire Northern Virginia suburb.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.