HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best Restaurants in Fairfax?
Posted by: Robert ()
Date: May 14, 2007 08:24PM

I thought I'd try a lighter topic on for size....

What are some of the best places to eat in Fairfax?

Lets hear it for Seafood, Casual, Upscale, Ethnic, BBQ, and anything in between

Discuss.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Restaurants in Fairfax?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:04PM

Seafood
I know alot of people don't like it, but I think Legal Seafood in Tysons has a great menu. It's pricier, but all the food I've ever had there has been excellent. Very fresh. The calamari rocks.

Ethnic
My favorite ethnic cuisine is Thai, and if you're a fan, check out Busara in Tysons or Reston. It's my favorite Thai place of all time, and I've eaten in alot of them around here.

Casual
A cup of coffee and a club sandwich at The Virginian in Vienna. Greasy-spoon comfort food and a simple atmosphere that never fails to cheer me up. When I am old and gray and retired, I want to live down the street from a place like this.

Date: May 14, 2007 09:15PM

The Virginian sounds like it would be up my alley. There was a Virginia Kitchen in Leesburg. Its now an I-talian restaurant.

We have a few Tai Restaurants in Richmond.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:17PM

What no fans of the chili/cheese dogs at the Vienna Inn?

Date: May 14, 2007 09:46PM

What no fans of the chili/cheese dogs at the Vienna Inn?

Ahh man, those hot dogs are awesome, I've mentioned them in other threads during the past year. Vienna Inn makes good wings and burgers too. The waitstaff there are coldly efficient and abrupt, so don't ask for anything that isn't already on the menu. That's really a great bar. They sell kegs too!

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: May 15, 2007 10:57AM

Fairfax is full of chain restaurants. There are a lot of good one but I like smaller places.

There are a few good Indian restaurants like Jaipur.

Busara is not bad but Thai Square and Bangkok 54 in Arlington are way better. I've actually heard the Thai place in Fair Lakes isn't too bad either.

Seems more of my faves are outside Fairfax.

vaburbia.com

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:30AM

"What no fans of the chili/cheese dogs at the Vienna Inn?

Ahh man, those hot dogs are awesome, I've mentioned them in other threads during the past year. Vienna Inn makes good wings and burgers too. The waitstaff there are coldly efficient and abrupt, so don't ask for anything that isn't already on the menu. That's really a great bar. They sell kegs too!"

If I prep for them ahead of time I can do a bunch of Vienna Inn Chili Dogs and beer. It requires Zantac though.
Meeper hit it on the head about the waitresses.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 15, 2007 01:18PM

Yup, the Vienna Inn is a hometown legend!

Edit: I would also like to add that I find the staff and owner at the R-Deli in Chantilly a real hoot. Very friendly and they have a hometown family\country feel. R-Deli 13951 Metrotech Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151 (In the Ruby Tuesday's parking lot across the street from Lowes&IHOP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 01:26PM by Lurker..

Date: May 15, 2007 02:46PM

I never cared much for hot dogs.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: May 15, 2007 05:21PM

Thai...Sakoontra in the Costco/Home Depot Plaza at 29/7100

Seafood...Coastal Flats in Fairfax Corner (and Tysons)...another member of the Great American Restaurant group which includes Artie's, Sweetwater Tavern and Mike's American Grill. I grew up and went to school in Boston, so any Legal Sea Foods south of Providence tends to disappoint.

American...Artie's on Old Lee Highway (see above)...always delivers super quality at reasonable prices, outstanding waitstaff, not necessarily upscale, so you can go casual. Prices are maybe 25% more than you would pay at TGIF or Applebee's, but no comparison on the meal.

WRT chili dogs, I write this from my hotel room in Atlanta after having lunch at The Varsity - my favorite reason for visiting Atlanta. The BEST chili dogs (better than Vienna Inn IMHO) and simply a classic place to eat.

Posted by: Buck ()
Date: May 15, 2007 06:40PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What no fans of the chili/cheese dogs at the
> Vienna Inn?

> They sell kegs too!

You're right by Norms Beer and Wine if you're in Vienna. This store has almost any beer you would want (or he can get it)

Buck

Date: May 15, 2007 07:54PM

You're right by Norms Beer and Wine if you're in Vienna

I go in there quite a bit. The staff are really freindly and knowledgeable about beer. They special ordered a case of German wine for a friend of mine, something usually not available here. They'll definitely try to hook you up on special items.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 15, 2007 07:56PM

Do you think that they could order Kilkenny (beer)? It isn't available in the US, but they sell it in Canada.

Date: May 15, 2007 08:04PM

Do you think that they could order Kilkenny (beer)?

I don't know, because I think there are import/export laws for some things. Seriously though, give them a call, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. The people that work there are really into selling good beer (no joke).

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: May 16, 2007 12:19AM

496 Wrote:

> The waitstaff there are coldly efficient and
> abrupt, so don't ask for anything that isn't
> already on the menu.

In the past the waitresses were much better at abusing you. That was the allure of the place. I have had to plead with them to be meaner, but the usual answer was that they didn't know how. It all changed when the place traded hands several years ago. But the chili-cheese dogs are just as good.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: May 16, 2007 08:16AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> Thai...Sakoontra in the Costco/Home Depot Plaza at
> 29/7100
>

I second all of your recommendations.

Posted by: BULLY ()
Date: May 18, 2007 11:55AM

Italian would have to be Espisito's in Fairfax. Maria cooks up some great dishes.

Chili would be Hard Times (any of the local chain) and best hamburger and fries go to Five Guys.

Best bar food would be Little Italy off of Braddock at I think Bradlick Shopping Center.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:26PM

BULLY Wrote:
> Italian would have to be Espisito's in Fairfax.
> Maria cooks up some great dishes.
>
> Chili would be Hard Times (any of the local chain)
> and best hamburger and fries go to Five Guys.
>
> Best bar food would be Little Italy off of
> Braddock at I think Bradlick Shopping Center.

Little Italy off of Braddock? I would hardly give that bar high marks. The owner is pretty cool however.

Date: May 18, 2007 09:18PM

I know its a chain- but is Black Eyed Pea still going? I remember going in there about 10 years ago. You get drinks the size of Mt. Rushmore really good chicken strips and very hearty food.

I normally don't like chain restaurants, but thats a good place.

I don't care much for Maggie's either.

Date: May 18, 2007 11:49PM

is Black Eyed Pea still going?

I remember locations in Herndon, FFX City, and Baileys, but they are no longer there. It was like a souped-up version of Bob Evans food, but I like that sorta thing occasionally and I sorta miss that place.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 18, 2007 11:51PM

I may be agnostic, but I find that Jesus has some good endorsements of Northern Virginia restaurants. I'm quite fond of the gnocchi at Pulcinella.

One of my favorite places to eat is teaism... but there are no locations in Northern Virginia. :-(

I'm afraid that I'm no good at recommending Indian restaurants because I pretty much like them all. But I prefer the vegetarian dishes which may be easier to prepare.

Best diner - 29 diner.

Any suggestions for Korean BBQ? I ate at the Han Sung Oak in Annandale a few weeks ago and the bulgogi was wonderful.

Date: May 18, 2007 11:56PM

Any suggestions for Korean BBQ?

Songbird in Vienna/Tysons Corner. It's on Old Courthouse near 123. It's excellent. The place next door (Narita), has great sushi, I get carry out from there alot.

BTW, Pulcinella is great, I live near there and eat there quite a bit. I never had the gnocchi though- thanks for the suggestion! I might just stop in there Sunday for lunch.

Posted by: price club ()
Date: July 18, 2014 07:48AM

Best club sandwich is the Clifton gentlemans club at Brions grill.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.