HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia kills iFile for State Taxes
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:58AM

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/new-va-law-kills-free-online-taxfiling-program?cid=ltst

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2010/04/15/online-tax-filing-program-to-charge-high-income-users/

Stupid. Now everyone who makes more than $57,000 has to file paper (which will cost the state more money), or give their tax information to another stranger & pay up to $30 for the electronic service.

I do my own taxes, so lets see: I can use a paper form and a $.42 stamp, or I can take the time and effort to find someone else to do my taxes and pay them $30 to do something I already do. Hmmm...Wonder which one I'm going to do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 08:00AM by trogdor!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia kills iFile for State Taxes
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 15, 2010 08:05AM

iFile was really a quick and easy way to file my taxes. The people who made the decision to shut it down are idiots.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:17AM

The system costs less than $50k per year, what a dumb decision. But if you read the articles it appears that the tax preparation industry paid off enough legislators to support such a dumb idea.

I personally did not like the system, probably because I expected something different. I use tax software so I thought it would be nifty to simply key the one-pager output of the tax software into the state site. I was bummed to find that it works like tax prep software itself and there was no way I was keying in all that again so I paid to efile as I normally do.

Posted by: Opus ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:34AM

What the Fuck is McDonnell doing in Richmond?????? Trying to take the State of Virginia backwards 50 years??????

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 15, 2010 09:42AM

Stupid. So something that cost the state less than $50K is going to be dropped and a good number of those people are going to file via paper, which will cost the state $1 each. Net savings: negative $250,000. Brilliant Republican move. Reminiscent of Gilmore and his stupidity.

"Nearly 97 percent of Virginians who filed state taxes were eligible to file electronically under the iFile program. This year, about 300,000 are expected to do so by the May 3 deadline.

A Department of Taxation fiscal impact statement on the legislation shows iFile cost the state about $49,200 to maintain. It costs the department about $1 to process each paper return."

Posted by: bk ()
Date: April 15, 2010 11:09AM

Unfortunately it's not just McDonnell. The bill passed with only a few dissenting votes in both the House and Senate. I just fired off a pissed-off e-mail to my allegedly Democratic reps. Fat lot of good that will do. Fucking morons.

Posted by: booty blisters ()
Date: April 15, 2010 11:19AM

Deeds was against it; unfortunately, Virginia was against him.

Posted by: What ()
Date: April 15, 2010 11:40AM

I live in Loudoun. The school board and board of supervisors are constantly doing things to make us feel we are in rural West Virginia circa 1900.

Stupid.

Date: April 15, 2010 11:57AM

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2010/04/15/online-tax-filing-program-to-charge-high-income-users/

"Moreover, the bill will eliminate a perceived problem wherein the tax collector — the state — also acted as the tax preparer, Byron said"

The stupidity of this statement is mind-boggling. I'd like to meet the people who are perceiving this "problem". I've been using that system for years and never once thought that my tax preparer was the commonwealth of Virginia. That is absurd.

Evidently this "problem" can only be perceived if you make more than 57k per year.

Posted by: WhoReallyWantsLowerTaxes? ()
Date: April 15, 2010 01:16PM

So let me get this straight, people complain about taxes and deficits and insist spending be cut. Spending gets cut, even if it's only a few tens of thousands of dollars. Now people are all in an uproar because services have been cut.

Sorry folks, services cost money. If there's no money, services get cut. Sometimes they're services you like. If you don't like it, elect Democrats that will tax the fuck out of you to pay for those services you expect.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: April 15, 2010 01:23PM

WhoReallyWantsLowerTaxes? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So let me get this straight, people complain about
> taxes and deficits and insist spending be cut.
> Spending gets cut, even if it's only a few tens of
> thousands of dollars. Now people are all in an
> uproar because services have been cut.

The absence of the service will cost the state several times more. In this case it isn't hard to figure that out, as was noted before your post.

Date: April 15, 2010 01:27PM

>
> elect Democrats that will tax the fuck out of you to pay
> for those services you expect.

iFile started while Gilmore was governor (a republican)

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 15, 2010 01:35PM

> So let me get this straight, people complain about
> taxes and deficits and insist spending be cut.
> Spending gets cut, even if it's only a few tens of
> thousands of dollars. Now people are all in an
> uproar because services have been cut.
>
> Sorry folks, services cost money. If there's no
> money, services get cut. Sometimes they're
> services you like. If you don't like it, elect
> Democrats that will tax the fuck out of you to pay
> for those services you expect.

Are you really this stupid? Basic math here. It currently costs the state less than 50K to process 300K returns. Without ifile, it will cost $300,000 to process 300K returns. How is this saving taxpayer money?

These figures are based on what was in the article. Cutting services to up costs is stupid, plain and simple. Computer filing is faster, less expensive and saves time. How can filing paper returns improve things? Oh, right, it helps the businesses that WILL be able to file people's returns and raises THEIR income, while sucking it out of the consumers pocket and the taxpayers wallet. Brilliant.

Posted by: SoYouBitTheMSMsHook? ()
Date: April 15, 2010 01:47PM

Shadow Wrote:
> Are you really this stupid? Basic math here. It
> currently costs the state less than 50K to process
> 300K returns. Without ifile, it will cost $300,000
> to process 300K returns. How is this saving
> taxpayer money?

You fell into the false dichotomy presented in the article. It's not like there are only two choices. Let's take a look at something Pgens wrote earlier...

pgens Wrote:
> I was bummed to find that it
> works like tax prep software itself and there was
> no way I was keying in all that again so I paid to
> efile as I normally do.

People love convenience and speediness. They'll pay, like pgens, for the convenience of e-file. I'll admit, I even e-filed because the refund would come quicker and it was easier than printing out the return, addressing and stuffing an envelope, then sending it off for processing. Those e-filed returns are mad cheap to process, probably about the same as processing the "iFile" stuff.

The article says 300,000 people used the free service. It didn't say that all 300,000 would now be ineligible - only those making $57,000 or more a year become ineligible... In fact, it doesn't say anything about who actually used the service, only that 300,000 people used it.

If a road was used by 300,000 vehicles, then the road owner said it could only be used by vehicles with 4 wheels or less, does that mean the road would be completely unused because trucks wouldn't be able to use it? I never said 300,000 trucks used it, I simply said 300,000 vehicles.

Drive-by journalism bites again.

Posted by: yellowbird ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:28PM

The system was quite simple and worked like a charm. It's sad that they are getting rid of one of the few things that worked! I'm going to file on paper this year... It's not difficult at all. Hopefully enough people file on paper and make it much more costly than maintaining the iFile system and help bring back the free filing!

Posted by: chris ()
Date: March 01, 2011 04:39PM

Consider me another Virginia resident that is going from using iFile to sending in a paper return. Took me about ten minutes to print, fill out, write my check, and mail my return.

Has anyone ever used the Free File Alliance developed Free File Fillable Forms for their federal tax return? Flash based and extremely glitchy and unreliable. The Virginia Government-developed iFile system worked much better. Such a shame it's gone.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: March 01, 2011 04:47PM

Used Turbo Tax. Got my return within a week. No problems.

Posted by: FreeFillableFormsFan ()
Date: March 07, 2011 08:29PM

We file using IRS's Free Fillable Forms. It may be buggy, but it's free and I can keep records easily. I can follow along and it makes sense (as much as the tax code can). I can easily pull up supplemental forms and the related instructions.

Unfortunately, all of the "partners" the State of VA lists at http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=ApprovedSoftwareDevelopers only allow you to file your state taxes if you fully enter all your federal information.

This means either I re-enter all my Federal tax info, or I file by hand. Both options suck. I agree with others that the State of VA has taken a big step backwards and I will also be filing a paper return.

Hopefully they pick up Free Fillable Forms or bring back e-file. They need SOME self-serve online option for those over the age of 51 or over 58k income as a family.

Posted by: jrocc ()
Date: March 07, 2011 11:07PM

I was using iFile for the last 3 years or so and I got a letter in the mail from the state that said they were discontinuing it and it had a special code in if for Turbo Tax that paid for my turbo tax federal, turbo tax state, efile federal, and efile state.

So, I guess they 'hooked' me up this year. Virginia government has a way of staying behind on technical advances. I don't know why. The FFX DTA has crappy web services. There are fees all around for doing web based transactions regarding paying the state. They do not provide incentives for doing things efficiently, that's obvious.

I guess I'll be adding to the paper trail on next years taxes too.

Posted by: Greed ()
Date: March 08, 2011 01:11AM

jrocc Wrote:
> I was using iFile for the last 3 years or so and I
> got a letter in the mail from the state that said
> they were discontinuing it and it had a special
> code in if for Turbo Tax

This is the problem. If TT gets xx% of the people to buy the software next year and efile, they make millions off of their free coupons and lobbying efforts.

How much did TT pay the Governor or State?

TT makes millions, the Governor gets a 'gift' and the tax payers get the shaft.

TYPICAL.

Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: March 08, 2011 10:16AM

Greed Wrote:
> jrocc Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was using iFile for the last 3 years or so and
> I
> > got a letter in the mail from the state that
> said
> > they were discontinuing it and it had a special
> > code in if for Turbo Tax
>
> This is the problem. If TT gets xx% of the people
> to buy the software next year and efile, they make
> millions off of their free coupons and lobbying
> efforts.
>
> How much did TT pay the Governor or State?
>
> TT makes millions, the Governor gets a 'gift' and
> the tax payers get the shaft.
>
> TYPICAL.

Turbo Tax sucks. TaxAct rocks!

Posted by: Anonymous13 ()
Date: March 26, 2011 10:31AM

Please help make it clear to the state that we want iFile back – please mail your paper form.

Posted by: shit ()
Date: March 26, 2011 12:01PM

jrocc Wrote:
> I was using iFile for the last 3 years or so and I
> got a letter in the mail from the state that said
> they were discontinuing it and it had a special
> code in if for Turbo Tax that paid for my turbo
> tax federal, turbo tax state, efile federal, and
> efile state.
>
> So, I guess they 'hooked' me up this year.
> Virginia government has a way of staying behind on
> technical advances. I don't know why. The FFX
> DTA has crappy web services. There are fees all
> around for doing web based transactions regarding
> paying the state. They do not provide incentives
> for doing things efficiently, that's obvious.
>
> I guess I'll be adding to the paper trail on next
> years taxes too.

I didn't know the code works for Federal return as well. I already paid for the federal return. Why don't they state clearly in the letter??

Date: March 26, 2011 12:45PM

Hmmmm....I still need to do my federal return. Time is running down.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Anonymous13 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 09:49AM

Please help make it clear to the state that we want iFile back – please mail your paper form.

Posted by: aed939 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 01:30PM

The Turbo Tax prepaid code did not include the $29.95 direct deposit fee. So after entering the information, I called TurboTax to confirm this was the case. So I deleted the information from TurboTax and filed by paper.

Posted by: Disappointed in Virginia ()
Date: March 29, 2011 04:43PM

I only recently became aware the the Ifile is no longer available for individual filings.

It's sad -- it was a very good and efficient and inexpensive system.

I believe a poster to this forum last April got it precisely right: "......it appears that the tax preparation industry paid off enough legislators to support such a dumb idea [i.e., ending Ifile]."

I do cynically wonder if the new -- and per the state website: "exciting" -- methods now available to us is really "FREE."

Even if they don't charge many individual filers meeting certain criteria, does anyone really believe they're doing that without ANY compensation??

I'll bet they receive -- from the taxpayer via the state -- a payment or some kind of credit for every "free" return they file.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 29, 2011 05:24PM

I'll bet they receive -- from the taxpayer via the state -- a payment or some kind of credit for every "free" return they file.

yeah, that's the ticket..................................

Posted by: anon ()
Date: March 29, 2011 07:19PM

As someone who is familiar with the politics at play here, I can tell you the state is not providing any compensation to the companies providing free filing. These companies monetize free-filing through a lot of paid add-ons (i.e. deduction-checker, audit-check, open a free checking-account, etc) advertised throughout the filing process.

Posted by: CB ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:48PM

I have filed both federal and state returns by paper since 1949 except I used iFile for the last two years. IFile was a great idea.

This year I found I could efile my federal return electronically at no cost and about as easily as I used to iFile.

I got the letter advising me to use Turbo Tax for my state return. I went to TT and found it would take me longer to prepare a return with TT than with paper.

I am filing by paper.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:05PM

...there are many whiney procrastonators in this thread.

Posted by: Dense ()
Date: April 12, 2011 07:47PM

More Complete Wrote:
> ...there are many whiney procrastonators in this
> thread.

Could you please elaborate?

I think the thread is about how the Commonwealth, through special interests, eliminated a very useful and free tax filing service.

Posted by: observer of crooked va lawmakers ()
Date: April 12, 2011 11:43PM

This one really pissed me off. I used ifile for years. I, and I am sure many tens of thousands of others, will be sending in paper forms that used ifile in the past. These will tend not to be simple forms. It will cost the state more money to retire ifile for public use and dealing with the deluge of paper forms than just leaving something that worked well alone.

Oh...I forgot, do some research (I did) and see how much money Intuit (turbotax) and the other commercial filing vendors spent on lobbying for this change last year.

Posted by: ambienta ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:57AM

I am sure VA got rid of the ifile because turbo tax threatened VA with an anti-trust lawsuit. If VA is providing a free way to ifile how is turbo tax going to make any money? This just goes to show how fucking stupid our goverment can be. I am NOT paying to efile and I am NOT giving my info to a 3rd party. So now VA gets to waste money processing my paper form. I am never going to pay for efile and I'm never giving my info to a 3rd party, so every year paper it is. I even file my federal on paper. I can wait the extra two weeks for my money.

Date: April 13, 2011 10:15AM

Dense Wrote:
> More Complete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...there are many whiney procrastonators in
> this
> > thread.
>
>
> Could you please elaborate?

Sure. There are many people bitching and complaining about their beloved iFile. Also, there are many people that have apparently not done their taxes yet.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: April 13, 2011 10:36AM

More Complete Wrote:
>
> Sure. There are many people bitching and
> complaining about their beloved iFile. Also, there
> are many people that have apparently not done
> their taxes yet.

Not necessarily. From reading this thread it appears many posters have already filed their returns. As for the rest there could be two reasons why they haven't filed yet. First, they could owe money and why give it to the state any earlier than you have to. Second, they may have just received their tax info, or have yet to receive it. This year I filed before March 1, but got corrected 1099s in late March, so I am going to file later next year. Many who have interests in partnerships, S corps, trusts and estates have likely only just received their K-1s.

Posted by: Elaine ()
Date: April 14, 2011 12:05PM

Having lived in DC & MD previously, I was PISSED to find that there was no iFile option for Virginia. That sucks that they just got rid of it.

No way was I paying $30 for TurboTax or TaxCut, so I got out the calculator and did it all by hand. Happily, when I did my taxes, I was getting a $550 refund, as opposed to the $335 TaxCut calculated for me. Huh. Well, I'm going by my math.

Posted by: Late filer ()
Date: April 16, 2011 01:28PM

Speaking as someone who has not yet filed, I can say that my only reason for the lag this year is my determination to file on paper to show my dissatisfaction that iFile is no longer an option for me. (I am expecting a refund.)

I've always filed online and early in past years, and it has taken a few hours to fill out the hardcopy form. Now I have to get it all mailed out. An extra hassle, but I think it's worth my trouble to send a strong message to lawmakers in Richmond!

I seriously hope they consider bringing back Ifile in 2012! If enough of us file on paper and make it costly for them to process the returns, maybe there's hope.

Posted by: Angry taxpayer ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:11AM

I use tax preparation software (yes, TT) because I have found that it keeps up with tax law changes better than I do and it is easier to "what if" and make corrections than working from paper. Tax prep software saves a lot of time. I do tax returns for 5 family members, so it is worth it. I printed and mailed 1040's until TT stopped charging for Federal eFiling.

I have never and will never pay for electronically filing VA taxes. In the past, after TT calculated the VA numbers, I entered them into iFile. Cheap, easy, quick. I refuse to pay to electronically file.

The "conflict of interest" argument cited above is a red herring, illustrating the use of propaganda in using the power of politics to direct profits to friends.

So, this year, I'll be printing VA tax forms from TT for 5 filers, having them signed and mailed. This is absolutely cheaper (for me, not VA) than paying TT $20 per VA eFiling. VA pays refunds so fast that the increased delay is insignificant.

I'm a strong supporter of government, but terminating iFile was stupid. It remains to be seen whether the cost of processing paper exceeds the savings of terminating iFile. It will be determined by the folks who are unwilling to pay for electronic filing. I will be doing my part.

Posted by: miss iFile already ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:25PM

I have been paying only $15-20 for TurboTax basic, and used VA iFile for years. Not this. Did not see a need to buy TurboTax or TaxCut for State, as iFile has been just as good.

This is the dumbest and the height of stupidity on the part this governor and his party!

I would have gladly paid $1 or $2 to use iFile if they gave me the option. VA could have easily paid off their $50k expense!!

I am seriously thinking of submitting handwritten return on VA 760 form just to make a point! Will be surprised if they can find a contractor to enter it in their system for a $1 !!!

Posted by: here ()
Date: April 19, 2011 08:38PM

Found this on a new thread in FFU:

iFile - shocking research - Tim Hugo
Posted by: anon ()
Date: April 19, 2011 08:29PM

I found some shocking details about the elimination of Virginia Tax iFile and I'm thinking of contacting the press about this - thoughts?

1- iFile was eliminated as a result of house bill 1349, passed in 2010. This replaced iFile with a "free file" option, which as we know is just a way for Intuit to make a profit:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+HB1349

2- The free file alliance's Executive Director is none other Tim Hugo, according to their very own contact-us page: http://www.freefilealliance.org/contact-us

3- That name sounded familiar to me, and sure enough, I realized that Tim Hugo is my Virginia delegate: http://www.timhugo.com/

4- I live in Clifton VA, and was totally shocked to see the address listed in the contact-us of the free-file alliance website:

7137 Main Street,
Suite B
Clifton, VA 20124

Clifton VA is a very small town on the outskirts of DC. I know this address very well, and it's nothing more than an old house in the old part of town. That house is currently setup as an antique shop, although I am not sure what "suite B" refers to - but it's probably no more than a mailbox.

5- Most shocking, notice the abstentions from the vote for HB1349. Of course Hugo did not vote to skirt the blatant conflict of interest

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+vot+HV0780+HB1349

This is definitely part of the untold story. How can we have such a corrupt government! Is this worth submitting to WaPo?

Posted by: WaPo--get on this story! ()
Date: April 19, 2011 11:07PM

To the last poster:

Yes, I think you should send this info. to the Post and any other local or regional news outlet that might be willing to investigate this story further and give it more publicity.

Given that I've heard many friends and other Virginians (e.g., on this site) complain about the loss of the iFile option this year, I can't understand why we haven't yet seen a news item on it in the Metro section of the Post. If the state took a survey of residents, they'd surely get high dissatisfaction results related to this issue! I've already e-mailed my local delegate to complain.

Date: April 19, 2011 11:09PM

meanwhile, we are already talking about this on the other thread he posted on......

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/557937.html

Posted by: HateTaxes ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:46PM

Please join our protest and file by mail. Perhaps the rising cost of collecting taxes might open the eyes of enough representatives...

Posted by: Kathy ()
Date: April 24, 2011 05:28PM

It may cost more for the state to eliminate iFile because they will have to process a lot more hand written returns manually not to mention sending out all those tax forms in the mail. With iFile, people used there own computers and paper to do their returns.

Posted by: wow ()
Date: April 24, 2011 06:20PM

First they close a high performing school and now this. What will come next?

Date: May 12, 2011 01:05PM

Got my refund today. Took about 4 weeks. But, damned if I was going to pay $30.00 or $40.00 to have done what took only about 1 hour to do by hand.

Date: May 12, 2011 01:46PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> Got my refund today. Took about 4 weeks. But,
> damned if I was going to pay $30.00 or $40.00 to
> have done what took only about 1 hour to do by
> hand.

-------------------

so how much did you get?

Date: May 12, 2011 01:51PM

Not enough.

Posted by: Paper_Filer ()
Date: June 22, 2012 01:38AM

I once again filed a paper return requesting a paper check. iFile was SOOOOO much easier.

Posted by: why break what's working ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:04PM

Filed paper in 2011, plan to again even though I have a fee state return with TT. It's great, especially since they want all your 1099's I had over twenty last year about 15 + 5 ammended ones I received). For various reasons I'll have about 25 this year (plus a bunch of amendd ones I'm sure). I don't know why they wanted all my 1099's last year (and 1098, and a bunch of other stuff). They have access to your Federal filing. Anyway, I just buried them with paper....all formy measly$25 refund, but well worth the 5 bucks registerd mail cost and satisfaction of helping keep humans in the loop and on the payroll.

As everybody else, I wonder how much the elimination f ifile is costing the taxpayer and how much money our legislators made off the deal with the Tax Software providers.

Posted by: 6 Months later... ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:18PM

Are you just slow to respond or did you want to open up this thread again?

Posted by: Smart guy ()
Date: January 03, 2013 04:43PM

6 Months later... Wrote:
> Are you just slow to respond or did you want to
> open up this thread again?

He wants everyone to see how smart he is for "sticking it to the man"!

Unfortunately for him, he just looks like a bitter jerk.

Posted by: 6 months later... ()
Date: January 03, 2013 04:46PM

I wonder how long he searched for this old thread.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.